Bamia (okra): what is this vegetable and why is it useful? Growing from seeds
Okra is a vegetable crop that is common in countries with tropical climates, but is grown in artificial conditions almost all over the world. The official name of the plant is abelmoschus edible (Abelmoschus esculentus). It is widely used in cooking, but also has valuable medicinal properties and has a positive effect on human health. All you need to know about okra, its benefits and composition, as well as ways to cook the vegetable - below.
- What is okra and what it looks like
- Where it grows
- What it tastes like
- Composition and calories
- Useful properties of okra
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- In Pregnancy
- For breastfeeding
- For children
- For weight loss
- Diabetes mellitus
- Gastrointestinal diseases
- Respiratory system diseases
- Usefulness of pickled okra
- How to pickle
- Cosmetic Usage
- Mask with okra juice and aloe
- Lotion for problem skin
- Hair decoction
- Mask for intensive hair growth
- Health Hazards and Contraindications
- How to choose and store
- Can I freeze?
- How to cook okra: Recipes
- Hearty okra and chicken breast salad
- Okra with herbs
- Okra in tomato sauce
- Okra in batter
- Omelette with okra and champignons
- Rice noodles with okra and vegetables
- Okra drink: Recipe
- Growing okra
- Popular Varieties
- Sprouting method of cultivation
- Growing season care
- Shaping the bush
- Diseases and pests of okra
- How do you eat okra?
- What does okra smell like?
- Where to buy and how much costs?
- Interesting facts
What is okra and what does it look like
Okra is an annual, one of the representatives of the genus Abelmos, which is included in the Malva family. The fruit is a valuable culinary product, from which real delicacies are prepared if the technology and recipe are followed. The vegetable is native to Africa, but was later naturalized in many countries. The plant has many alternative names: gumbo, okra, ladyfingers.
Botanical characteristics of this species:
- Stems are a maximum height of 40 cm for dwarf hybrids and up to 200 cm for wild species.
- Powerful stems covered with a glandular nap that can cause irritation and allergic reactions if it comes into contact with the skin.
- Leaves on long petioles, multilobed, dark green in color.
- Large single flowers are white or beige in color.
The shape of the fruit is particularly noteworthy, because it is the fruit that is most valuable and used in cooking. The vegetable has a faceted, pyramidal shape, elongated to 5-10 cm depending on cultivar and age. The surface is smooth, sometimes pubescent and green in color. The fruit of the okra looks like a pepper or a bean, inside there are large seeds, which contain up to 40% of useful fats, which are 100% assimilated by the body.
Where does it grow?
It is a plant that is common on the Eurasian continent only in the southern regions, but it is cultivated artificially almost everywhere. Today the okra is cultivated in Krasnodar, in the Far East, in the southern regions of Ukraine, in the Asian part of Russia. Gumbo is also often found in the wild in parts of the Americas, grown in Japan, Korea, and China, and is considered a traditional product of Thai cuisine.
What it tastes like
Bamia is a unique vegetable crop, which has almost no analogues in the vegetable world in terms of taste. In the CIS countries, the fruits of abelmos edible are considered a delicacy, this is not surprising, because in Eurasia the plant is rarely found, mainly it is cultivated on special plantations, where artificial conditions are created, close to the natural environment.
The taste of the fruit is rich, reminiscent of something between eggplant pulp and ripe asparagus. But it is important to understand that everything also depends on the method of cooking. Depending on how the vegetable was processed, its taste will also differ.
Composition and calories
The plant can be of great benefit to human health if consumed on a regular basis, because it contains a full range of vitamins and minerals, as well as other organic substances. Here's what you need to know about the nutritional value of the product in question:
- There are only 25 kcal per 100 g of fruit;
- fats - up to 1 g;
- carbohydrates - up to 4 g;
- Protein - 2 g.
On 90-92% of the fruit of hibiscus edible consists of water, and the rest - dietary fiber, fiber, useful minerals and vitamins. Scientists have long studied the composition of this extraordinary plant. The following ingredients have been found in it:
- ascorbic acid;
- antioxidants that slow down aging and prevent cancer;
- Flavonoids with antiviral and immunomodulatory properties;
- folic acid;
- fat-soluble vitamins - retinol and tocopherol;
- B vitamins;
- rutin, which protects blood vessels;
- fatty acids - polyunsaturated and monounsaturated.
Due to the fact that the plant contains a large number of valuable substances, okra has a wide range of beneficial properties and protects the body from many deadly diseases. In many countries where okra is as common as bread and potatoes in the CIS, the highest life expectancy is recorded. That is why gombo is rightfully called the fruit of longevity.
Useful properties of okra
Okra is not just a vegetable and tasty product. This is a real effective medicine, which was created by nature itself. If used properly, it is capable of producing the following therapeutic effects:
- Reduce cholesterol levels in the blood and cleanse the blood vessels.
- Improve the functioning of the cardiovascular system, preventing heart attack, stroke and atherosclerosis.
- Strengthen the immune system by promoting the formation of white blood cells in the body.
- Saturate with compounds of calcium, manganese, magnesium and iron, which is good for the nervous system, bones and immunity.
- Due to its high content of antioxidants and vitamin C to fight inflammation.
- Help with bronchial asthma, as well as effectively deal with dry cough.
- Treat fevers, reduce body temperature quickly and without side effects, and improve well-being in various infectious diseases.
- Relieve respiratory spasms, eliminate nasal congestion and block the symptoms of colds, SARS.
- Promote skin rejuvenation, prevent the appearance of pigmentation and eliminate acne.
- Strengthen the hair and give it shine (the plant is effective against dandruff, itching and flaking, stops hair loss).
- Improve digestion, protect the mucosa of the stomach and intestines, eliminate inflammation and stimulate the production of enzymes.
- To have a laxative effect, to quickly cleanse the intestines and cope with constipation.
- Prevent colon cancer due to its high fiber content.
- Protect the urinary system, prevent the formation of kidney stones, help with inflammatory processes to cope with infection and recover.
- Reduce blood sugar levels (the high fiber content makes okra one of the best foods to fight diabetes).
In addition, okra is a powerful tool for eliminating toxins. In many eastern countries it is used as a component for cleansing the body. In ancient times, the fruits of okra were even endowed with magical properties, because they could not explain its healing power with other arguments.
For women's health, okra is an invaluable product, because it has a beneficial effect on the hormonal background. The plant, when consumed regularly, produces such therapeutic effects:
- Protects against many cancers of the reproductive system.
- Prevents premature aging.
- Protects against loss of skin elasticity, wrinkles.
- Normalizes the functioning of the nervous system.
- Removes excessive irritability.
- Harmonizes the emotional state, prevents depressive states.
Bamyeh should also be used by women who are planning to become mothers in the near future, because this product will help to prepare the body perfectly for such an important stage.
Men, too, should not neglect the product, because it can be of great benefit to their health. Bamia can help make an invaluable contribution to longevity, improve stamina, and strengthen the immune system. Extremely important health benefits of the plant for men:
- Protects against prostate cancer;
- prevents the premature decline of male strength, adenoma and prostatitis;
- increases potency;
- protects the reproductive system from inflammatory processes.
Hibiscus edible (Hibiscus esculentus) contains substances necessary for proper functioning of the sexual system, which are important to consume in large quantities with food to avoid problems in this area. Also the use of the vegetable as a whole has a beneficial effect on the well-being, stamina, protective functions of the male body.
Certain products are strongly recommended by gynecologists to be consumed by all women during pregnancy. Bamia is one of these products, because it can help a woman to carry a healthy baby and minimize the consequences of the difficult process.
The fruit of okra is considered the ideal food for pregnant women, it is rich in vitamins, zinc, magnesium and calcium. The components included in the plant allow the fetus to develop properly, avoid intrauterine malformations, and prevent hypoxia.
Bamyeh contains large amounts of folic acid. This is a very valuable component for pregnant women, because it participates in the process of cell division, due to which it helps the child to develop quickly and at the same time supports the female body.
It is important to remember that any, even the healthiest food can become potentially dangerous if consumed in excess. This rule applies to okra as well. If you eat more than 300-400 grams of okra every day, it can do harm, because it contains chlorophyll, which, if accumulated in the body, can provoke poisoning. It is not recommended for pregnant women to consume the product in pickled form, with spicy and sour sauces.
The postpartum period is not an easy time for a young mother, because the body needs urgent recovery, and all the nutrients that could be used as a resource go to the production of breast milk. This is why it is extremely important to eat a balanced diet when breastfeeding, making the most of foods rich in minerals and vitamins.
Bamia is one of the best vegetables, which is very useful during breastfeeding, because it feeds the female body with valuable substances. Their deficiency leads to reduced milk quality, loss of teeth and hair, skin diseases and disorders of the musculoskeletal system.
During the breastfeeding period, you can start using okra from the third month, but it should not be introduced immediately, and gradually, increasing every day the amount. It is important to monitor your baby's reaction to the introduced product, because okra, although rare, can provoke allergic reactions. Before you decide to supplement your diet with this product, you must consult a physicianin order to avoid negative consequences.
Absolutely in vain parents refuse to introduce ladyfingers into the diet of their children for fear of negative consequences. This product is safe. If the child is not prone to allergic reactions, you can feed him periodically with fruits of this vegetable crop from 3 years old. Use the product periodically, but no more than 2-3 times a month.
Bamia is very useful for children, as it contains a full complex of vitamins, magnesium, necessary for brain development, as well as fatty oils in the seeds of the fruit. The active substances in the rich composition produce the following therapeutic and preventive effects:
- improve memory and concentration, enhance mental abilities;
- Protect from infectious diseases;
- Strengthen the effectiveness of the immune system;
- Increase appetite;
- have a beneficial effect on the health of the gastrointestinal tract;
- maintain the balance of the microflora.
What is very important nowadays, okra protects against cancer, promotes normal hematopoiesis and supports the body in the period of intensive growth. Therefore, this product should not be excluded from the diet of a healthy child who does not have any digestive problems and is not allergic to plants of the Malva family. But it is important to understand that you should not use pickled okra for children - they do not benefit from a large amount of vinegar. In Thailand, for example, they give it to children from 1 year old, and no one is afraid of any negative consequences. In Russia, Belarus and Ukraine, pediatricians are frightened at the mention of any exotic fruit by parents whose children are under 6 years old.
When losing weight.
Bamia is an incredibly useful product for those who are battling with excess weight. The low caloric value of the fruit of the plant allows you to use it in the diet almost daily without worrying about the figure. Moreover, "ladyfingers" contain active ingredients that stimulate the metabolism, thereby accelerating the processing of subcutaneous fat into energy. This is a great opportunity to lose weight with health benefits. That is, a person who consumes okra, gets more energy by speeding up metabolic processes, while he can practically not eat foods rich in fast carbohydrates and feel awake.
You can use this vegetable on a regular basis in the diet at high physical activity, because it contains antioxidants and vitamins that promote rapid recovery and support the cardiovascular system.
In addition, the fruit contains up to 10 g of dietary fiber, for the digestion of which the body consumes a huge amount of energy. Due to this, fat burning processes are accelerated. There is another additional benefit - the presence of fiber provides a prolonged feeling of satiety and also prevents overeating.
In 2000, scientists first became seriously interested in the ability of okra to reduce blood sugar levels. For this reason, a large-scale study of the plant and a detailed study of its chemical composition began. Scientists were able to find out that it has the ability to stabilize blood sugar levels, so it was recommended as a component of the diet for this disease.
In the course of clinical studies, scientists were able to find out that okra can increase the life expectancy of diabetic patients, as well as prevent the emergence of negative consequences and stop the progression of the disease.
Important! You can consume okra fruit only with the permission of your doctor. It is important to strictly observe the dosage.
Scientists were also able to find out that the product has a negative effect on the digestibility of drugs, which are used in the complex therapy of diabetes. In particular, okra reduces the effectiveness of metformin when consumed simultaneously. This fact is also worth considering.
Another important nuance - with diabetes, you should not consume the product with spicy spices and vinegar, so as not to additionally overload the body.
In diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
Bamia is a medicinal plant that is used in the treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. The fact is that the vegetable contains mucus, which coats the tissues lining the gastrointestinal tract and eliminates inflammation. It also has antioxidants and organic acids that help in the fight against Helicobacter, which causes gastritis and, according to one version, causes stomach cancer.
For diseases of the digestive system, the plant is not used as an ingredient in the diet, but as a treatment. Here are just a few recipes that may be useful to those who want to cure gastritis, ulcers, colitis and enterocolitis without side effects.
- Take 100 grams of fresh ripe fruit, grind with a meat grinder and pour 50 ml of vegetable oil. Use 1 teaspoon for a week, 3 times a day.
- Prepare the juice of the plant and drink 50 ml in the morning and evening, 15 minutes before a meal.
- Prepare a pulp of okra fruits - grind with a meat grinder or blender, take 200 grams and mix with 2 tablespoons of cream. Eat 1 tablespoon in the morning, when people with stomach pathologies especially often have so-called "hunger pains".
In addition, it is necessary to include the vegetable in your diet and use it in boiled, baked or raw form. Such an ingredient of the diet will allow for a shorter period of time to fully restore the health of the stomach and intestines.
In diseases of the respiratory system.
Bamia is used in Tibetan medicine as a powerful cough medicine. Scientists are considering this product as a possible source of beneficial ingredients to create a revolutionary drug to treat bronchial asthma. But while they are only developing their versions, the whole world is actively using the fruits of okra at home to treat inflammatory processes in the respiratory tract.
In order to appreciate the benefits of the natural remedy you need to use it systematically and regularly for 5-7 days.
Cough can be treated with a simple mixture, which is prepared from 1 tablespoon of dry ginger powder, 50 g grinded on the meat grinder okra fruit, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 20 g of honey. The mixture is made for 1 day, taken 1 teaspoon 4-5 times a day.
Is pickled okra good for you?
Bamia can be pickled in a quick way and used as a snack or canned to preserve its useful properties for a long time. The product is also used as part of salads, appetizers, served as an additive to meat and fish. The main advantage of okra is that it retains its useful properties when pickled. The product produces the following therapeutic and preventive effects:
- enhances the immune system;
- slows down aging processes;
- protects against cancer;
- stimulates the production of gastric juice and digestive enzymes;
- It promotes strengthening of blood vessels and blood thinning;
- protects the liver.
The only disadvantage of pickled okra is the need to use vinegar in the preparation of the dish, which is not good for everyone. Therefore, the snack should not be used by those who have problems with the pancreas, stomach, gallbladder.
How to pickle
It is important to use only fresh fruits for this purpose, which have not been subjected to freezing. There are different ways to marinate okra, but there is a classic recipe that is used by many housewives as a base.
- 0.5 kg of ripe fruits of small size;
- 2-3 cloves of garlic;
- 1 hot pepper;
- allspice (5-7 peas);
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds;
- 30 g salt;
- 1 cup vinegar;
- dill greens
- 200 ml of water.
To prepare it, take a clean and dry one-liter jar, and then proceed as follows:
- Thoroughly rinse the okra under the faucet, let the water drain and proceed to cut off the stalks.
- In a clean jar, place the ringed hot peppers, peeled garlic, dill, and mustard and allspice peas.
- On top of the spices, tightly stack the okra fruits, doing it vertically.
- Make a marinade - bring water with salt and vinegar to a boil, pour the jar to the top and close with a lid. After 2 weeks, you can eat the finished product.
To eat immediately pickled okra, roll up the jar with a polyethylene lid or use a steel lid with a clip. But you can roll up the jars, sterilize them, and send them to the cellar for storage if you wish.
Bamia is rich in antioxidants, flavonoids, vitamins and mineral compounds, due to this it slows aging, produces a rejuvenating effect. The plant is used mainly for skin care. On the basis of a natural ingredient are prepared rejuvenating masks and other care products.
Mask of okra juice and aloe
To restore the complexion, improve the appearance of the skin, moisturize it and nourish it with valuable organic substances, you can use a mixture of aloe vera juice and okra. Take both ingredients 1 teaspoon each, mix and apply to a washed face, soak for 20 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water. Repeat this procedure 2-3 times a week. As a result, after a couple of months, you will notice that the skin freshened up, its elasticity increased, its color evened out, and fine lines and wrinkles just disappeared.
Lotion for rubbing problem skin
You can make a remedy that will help you once and for all get rid of acne and other skin problems (clogged pores, oily sheen). To prepare a miracle care product, you will need the following ingredients:
- 20 g of white tea (no additives);
- 150 ml of water;
- 50 ml of fresh okra fruit juice;
- 10 drops of tea tree essential oil;
- A pinch of sea salt.
It is necessary to pour cold water over white tea leaves and bring to the boil, at this time add okra juice and boil for 1 minute. After the remedy has cooled, strain it, pour it into a clean glass bottle, add 10 drops of tea tree essential oil, shake and wipe your face twice a day. Keep it in a refrigerator no longer than 20 days.
Decoction for hair
Fruits of okra can be used with double benefit. If you boil them in water, you should not pour it out, you should use the liquid to rinse your hair 2-3 times a week. Such a procedure will make them soft and manageable, help to strengthen the follicles, stop hair loss.
Mask for intensive hair growth
You can use the power of okra to strengthen hair and stimulate growth. This organic remedy will help to increase hair length in a short period of time. To prepare you need to take 50 ml of okra juice or fruit pulp, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of castor oil. Heat the mask in the microwave oven to 40 degrees and apply to the scalp for 30 minutes, then rinse. Repeat the procedure every 4-5 days.
Harms and contraindications
In general, okra is a safe plant. The only contraindication is an individual intolerance to the product.
An allergic reaction is provoked most often not by the fruit itself, but by the small hairs that cover its skin. They must be removed even if no one in the family is prone to allergic reactions.
Also the plant is a danger in diarrhea, because in addition has a laxative effect, it can aggravate the situation. During the treatment of an intestinal disorder, it is better to give up the vegetable.
When consumed for a long time, the product can lead to malfunctioning of the liver and other internal organs, as it reduces the absorption of important fatty acids and phospholipids, blocking their access in the intestine. But this is an extremely rare occurrence. In order for okra to really cause harm, you would have to eat it in huge quantities every day for an extended period of time.
Another disadvantage of the plant is that it contains a large amount of chlorophyll, which colors its surface green. In small doses, the substance is safe for the body and is even beneficial in the treatment of cancer, in the fight against aging. But if overdosed for a long time, it accumulates in the cells of the body and can be toxic.
How to choose and store
Until 15-20 years ago, okra was only available frozen or canned. But with increasing agro-technical progress, technologies have been introduced that allow the crop to be grown even in unsuitable climatic conditions. So you can buy okra even in fresh form - today it is often found in markets and supermarket shelves, it can be ordered in many online stores selling organic products. But it is important to know how to choose the right quality product. There are a few recommendations that will help in this matter.
- First of all, you need to inspect the fruits, if they are brought from distant countries, many could be damaged in transit. It is worth choosing only those on which there is no visible damage, they will be able to be stored longer.
- It is better to buy only those fruits with a length of 5 to 10 cm. If the vegetable is larger, then it will be less tasty. First, mature pods are a little bitter, secondly, you can feel the fibers in them, and thirdly, they will be dry.
- It is important to pay attention to the color of the skin. It should be a deep green color, without brownish spots, yellowed fragments, dry ends, cracks or mold.
- The degree of freshness of the fruit can be checked by touch - if the okra has been picked recently, its surface will be a little rough.
- Rough and fibrous fruits with thin skin are definitely not worth buying, since they are not tasty.
It is extremely rare to find burgundy, pinkish or even bright red okra on the store shelves. Do not be afraid to buy such a product - it is no less useful, it differs only in variety and, perhaps, in the place of cultivation.
The peculiarity of hibiscus edible is that it spoils quite quickly and begins to rot. This is one of the many reasons why it rarely appears on store shelves. Bamia is difficult to transport from other countries, as up to 30% of the fruit rots during transportation, and this has a negative impact on the final retail value. Therefore, it is extremely important to be able to choose a really good quality product, but it is also worth learning how to store it properly at home.
It is best to prepare the fruit immediately after purchase, but if it is necessary to preserve it, for example, for 2-3 days, you can pack it in a container and block the access of oxygen in food film. In this form, okra will retain its properties for up to 5 days. But a more reliable option is freezing. The product is stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. However, this method is not suitable if marinating is planned.
Can I Freeze?
Since okra is difficult to find year-round on sale, it is possible to purchase and harvest it. For the vegetable to retain its taste and useful properties, it is frozen or pickled If the pickled okra is no longer subject to heat processing and is considered a ready meal or an ingredient for salads, in the frozen form it can be used for recipes that involve heat treatment.
To preserve the fruit of okra to the full extent, it is necessary to freeze them on a low-temperature regime (rapid freezing). It is desirable to use vacuum bags, in which the product to the maximum retain its useful properties and taste. Defrost the vegetable at room temperature. Do not use water or a microwave oven to speed up the process, this will lead to a loss of flavor.
How to cook okra: recipes
Dish from okra will help to diversify the diet and make it more useful. The product can be used to prepare exotic second courses and appetizers, from it cook soups, use in salads. Below are popular recipe options that bring out the maximum flavor of the exotic vegetable.
Nourishing salad with okra and chicken breast
To prepare the dish, small pickled fruits are used. The salad turns out quite hearty, and at the expense of the exotic vegetable it has a tangy taste.
- 200 g of pickled okra fruits;
- 400 g of boiled chicken breast;
- 1 blue onion;
- 100g green peas;
- 100 g of canned corn;
- Mayonnaise or olive oil and lemon dressing;
Slice the chicken breast and okra, add the peas, corn, herbs and onions. Dress everything with mayonnaise, stir, serve.
Bamia with greens
This is the easiest recipe for cooking this product, which retains all the power of useful properties and flavors. Everything is very simple, you do not even need to calculate the proportions and measure a certain amount of products. Step by step instructions:
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add salt and bay leaf (optional allspice).
- Cook the okra for 6-7 minutes in the boiling water.
- Prepare the dressing - melt butter, add 2-3 cloves of garlic, rings of hot pepper.
- Pour over boiled fruit, sprinkle with chopped herbs and serve.
This dish is very popular in India. Also, curry and turmeric are used to prepare it, but you can pick up spices to taste.
Gombo in tomato sauce
Gombo in tomato sauce turns out very tasty and flavorful. No exotic ingredients are needed for cooking, except for okra fruit (1 kg), and:
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste;
- 2 onions;
- 1 small head of garlic;
- 3 tablespoons of vinegar;
- salt, sugar, pepper to taste.
Pour the peeled fruits with water and add vinegar and salt. Soak the okra in this liquid for 40 minutes, and while it soaks, prepare the sauce itself - simmer onion and garlic in vegetable oil, add tomato, salt and sugar, pepper and throw the fruit in the boiling mixture, pre-drain the water. Simmer for 20 minutes, serve with greens and sour cream.
Bamia in a batter
Prepare ladyfingers in batter can be prepared for everyday or holiday table. This appetizer will surprise guests with its unusual taste. To prepare the dish you need the following ingredients:
- 500 g of okra fruits;
- 1 egg;
- 1 tablespoon of flour;
- 1 tablespoon of milk;
- 1 cup breadcrumbs;
- 150 gr Parmesan;
- frying oil.
Wash the fruits and cut off their tails, then dip them in a mixture of egg, flour, milk and salt. After that, roll the vegetables in a mixture of breadcrumbs and finely grated Parmesan, dip them into the batter again and drop them into a container with breadcrumbs. Fry on both sides in a pan or in a deep fryer for 5-7 minutes. It is advisable to remove excess vegetable oil with clean paper towels before serving.
Omelette with okra and mushrooms
Okra is cooked with eggs, it successfully complements and accentuates their flavor. There is a very popular recipe for a quick preparation of these exotic fruits.
Here are the ingredients needed:
- 300 g of okra fruits;
- 200 g of small mushrooms;
- 1 bundle of green onions and dill;
- 4 eggs;
- salt and pepper to taste.
First wash the okra fruits and mushrooms, and then fry them in vegetable oil so as to evaporate most of the moisture, only then add finely chopped onion and dill. At the very end, reduce the heat, pour the vegetable-mushroom mixture with beaten eggs and leave to cook under a lid for another 5 minutes. Before serving, slice and sprinkle with grated cheese.
You can make an incredibly delicious and healthy vegetable soup from the fruit of hibiscus edible, which has a therapeutic effect - increases immunity and protects the gastrointestinal tract.
- 300 g okra;
- 1 onion;
- 1 carrot;
- 2-3 medium-sized tomatoes;
- 2 bell peppers;
- 600 g lean beef;
- Salt, pepper and herbs to taste.
First, you need to pour 2 liters of cold water over the beef and put it on a small fire to make broth. In the meantime, melt the butter, wash and peel the okra, and send it to stew with the rest of the chopped vegetables in a deep saucepan or frying pan. Season with salt after 10 minutes, stew some more and add to the drained stock. Boil for 10 minutes, add boiled beef slices, herbs and serve.
Rice noodles with okra and vegetables
This dish can be tasted in any Chinese restaurant, as it is quite often served in the cuisine of the Celestial Empire. Bamia for cooking is used in various combinations, below is one of the popular recipes.
- 200 g okra;
- 1 carrot;
- 1 onion;
- 1 bell bell pepper;
- 5-7 cherry tomatoes;
- 1 hot pepper;
- 2-3 cloves of garlic;
- soy sauce;
- 300g of cooked rice noodles.
To prepare this dish is very simple, for this you need to take a frying pan or a deep cauldron. Heat vegetable oil in it and fry okra and bell peppers. Add onion rings and carrots, and finally add the soy sauce, garlic and half a cherry tomato. Braise for no more than 5 minutes under a lid, add the rice noodles and serve.
Okra drink: recipe
Matured dry okra seeds are removed from their capsules, roasted in a pan without oil, and ground in a coffee grinder.
The energy drink is made in a coffee maker or in a pot like a coffee. The advantage of an invigorating drink with a bitter aftertaste is the absence of caffeine, which depresses the nervous system.
The flowering representative of the mallow family is cultivated all over the world. Russia is not an exception. Depending on the climatic conditions of the regions, methods of planting differ. In the Southern Federal District, it is possible to sow seeds in the ground. In areas with a less warm climate, the sprouting method is used.
The State Register of Breeding Achievements of the Russian Federation includes three varieties of okra allowed for cultivation in all regions - Yunona, Vlada and Bombay. But other varieties not included in the approved list are also cultivated in Russia:
- Dubrava low-growing. The height of the weakly branched stem is 80 cm. The leaves in the lower part are entire, in the middle - five-lobed, closer to the top - deeply dissected. Yellow flowers with a diameter of 9 cm give the variety its ornamentality. The size of the dark green capsule with a shape reminiscent of a hot pepper pod is 18-22 cm.
- Juno. A high-yielding plant up to two meters tall that grows quickly. Flowers are colored light yellow with a burgundy middle. It takes 5-7 days from fruit setting to consumer ripeness. The polyhedral pod is 10-25 cm long. Yield - 3.5 kg per 1 sq. m.
- Ladyfingers. Late maturing variety, recommended for growing in the open ground, greenhouses. The plumped stem of okra grows up to 1 m. The fruits are 6-20 cm in size are harvested in 90-110 days after sprouting.
- Bombay. The leaves of the plant with a single large flower assembled in a rosette. The stem height is 60 cm. The pods weighing 10 g are ready for harvesting after 75 days. Each bush produces up to ten fruits during its growing season.
- Star of David. A high-growing variety characterized by purple leaf plates and red fruits. The crop got its name from the star-shaped cross section of the pod. Popular with Russian dacha owners are the varieties of okra White Velvet, Clemson's Untamed, Blondie, White Cylindrical, Sona, Alabama Red.
Sprouting method of cultivation
Seeds of edible abelmos are planted in seedlings from March 10 to early April, depending on the climatic conditions of the region. The more northern the area, the later the sowing date. To accelerate germination, pre-moisten the seeds for a day in a saucer with a damp cloth. Planting material can be sown in flower pots, containers, but it is better to choose large peat cups. Young plants are not removed from such containers when transplanted to a permanent place, rod-shaped roots are not injured.
Algorithm of sowing, growing okra seedlings:
- In each peat pot in the center with a pencil make a depression of 3-4 cm.
- Dip a seed into the hole, cover it with earth.
- Watered with water at room temperature, cover with food film, put it in the penumbra.
- Until the emergence of sprouts make sure that the soil does not dry out and condensation does not accumulate on the film.
- A week and a half or two weeks later, when the sprouts came out, cover is removed, the tray with the cups moved to the window sill.
The seedlings are watered moderately, fertilized every 14 days. The optimum temperature for growing okra - 20-25 ° C, 70% humidity. A week before transplanting to a permanent place okra taken to the balcony for hardening. On the first day for 2 hours, on the last day leave it for the night. After a month or 45 days, young plants are planted on a bed fertilized with organic matter and mineral complexes from autumn, watered and mulched. For high-growing varieties, the recommended distance between bushes is 0.9 m, between the rows - 0.5 m. For low-growing - 0,6 and 0,4 m, respectively.
In the open ground the seeds of okra are sown when the daytime temperature is 16°C or higher and the nighttime temperature does not drop below 12°C. Planting follows the same rules as at home when growing seedlings. For backup, two seeds are lowered into holes 3-4 cm deep. Weak sprout later cut off.
Care during the growing season
Okra grows well at a temperature of 20-30°C. At higher and lower values of the indicator, bushes stop in development. Critical t - the top +40, the bottom +10°C. Care of the okra is not cumbersome. The drought-resistant plant does not like overwatering. During the whole period of vegetation the plant is watered moderately in dry weather, without letting the top layer of soil dry out. As the bush grows, watering is reduced, as less moisture evaporates under overgrown plants.
Feed edible hibiscus edible solution of ammonium nitrate (40 g per 10 liters) with insufficient build-up of green mass and superphosphate (30 g per bucket of water) during the formation of ovaries. To reduce the frequency of weeding, loosening the soil and watering, plants are mulched with a thick layer of sawdust, needles or straw.
Shaping the bush
When the stem height is 40-50 cm, pinch the top to increase the number of lateral fruiting shoots. Overgrown bushes growing in windy areas should be tied to poles to maintain their shape.
To avoid skin irritation, the pubescent green or red capsules are picked with gloves on. Due to uneven maturation, the fruits are cut with a secateurs every 3-4 days. Ten pods are formed on each bush. Harvesting time depends on the ripeness of the variety. Guided by flowering. The harvest is removed from the plant in a week after the fading of flowers, the formation of ovaries.
Diseases and pests of okra
Common diseases and pests affecting herbaceous plants of the mallow family:
- Brown spot disease. It is manifested by yellowish spots on the upper surface of leaf plates, accumulation of spores on the lower surface. In the initial stage of the disease, the bamia is sprayed with soapy infusion of garlic, calendula.
- powdery mildew. Signs - a white coating on the leaves, the stem, interfering with photosynthesis. The plant stops in development, dies. Treatment consists of removal of affected organs, treatment of bushes with Topaz, Kumulos, colloidal sulfur.
- Cabbage moth. At the end of May, the caterpillars of the moth, which are particularly voracious, eat the leaves. Insects are got rid of by mechanical collection, spraying herbaceous plants with Bitoxybacillin.
- Thrips. Due to omnivorous small insects, sucking cell sap, small dots, strokes are formed on the plant in the puncture points. The bush becomes deformed, leaves and flowers fall off. Treatment with infusions of bitter pepper, nightshade, yarrow with household soap is an effective method of control.
- Slugs. Eat ovaries, other parts of eggs, carry fungal spores. Get rid of slugs by placing traps with beer. Sprinkle between the rows with slaked lime or ash. To prevent the development of fungal diseases and attacks of parasitic insects, the okra is planted every year in a new place, greenhouses are treated with sulfur dioxide, do not allow crowding of plantings, increasing humidity more than 75%.
Lovers of exotics, adherents of a healthy lifestyle are interested in how to use okra in cooking, what it smells like, where and for how much the fruits of a useful plant can be purchased.
How do you eat okra?
Young 4-5-day old fruits are used in food. The pods, cut into pieces, are boiled, stewed, fried, pickled, added to salads, sauces and gravy. It is also served as a side dish and fried as a topping for first courses. Of particular value are the seeds of okra, in which nutrients are concentrated. They, as well as fruits, are subjected to heat treatment, preserved by canning.
What does okra smell like?
The aroma of the edible abelmosha is faintly expressed, similar to that of leafy greens and asparagus. To add more flavor and aroma, okra is seasoned with spices.
Where to buy and how much does it cost?
The vegetable plant is bought frozen in supermarkets or ordered at online marketplaces. For 200 grams of dried okra you will have to pay 550 p. Half a kilo of fresh okra costs 700 p., frozen okra costs 300 p.
Despite the fact that okra is not widespread, it is still known all over the world today. This product has a rich history and keeps getting more and more interesting facts. Here are the most curious ones.
- Bamyeh became famous thanks to the world-famous sci-fi film Interstellar, it was the only surviving species on Earth after the disaster.
- The fruit of the plant is often used in the preparation of desserts, although it is considered the basis for savory dishes.
- Often okra is used by cosmetic manufacturers. Extracts from the fruit of the plant have medicinal power and are very effective in helping to cope with various skin problems, stop the aging process.
- This product is also of interest to pharmaceutical manufacturers, it is used in various dietary supplements and supporting vitamin-mineral mixtures.
Bamia is an incredibly valuable food product that deserves to appear more often on the tables of the population of the planet. If you know how to cook it correctly, you can get all the healing potential that nature itself put into it. The main thing is to consume the product in moderation and do not forget that it has contraindications.
«Important: All information on this site is provided solely for introductory purposes. Before applying any recommendations, you should consult with a specialized specialist before using any recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."