Batat (sweet potato): useful properties and contraindications
Gardeners love to grow vegetables and fruits on their plots, which are not common for widespread use. The yam has a second name - sweet potato. In many European and Asian countries, this vegetable crop is used in the same way as in our country potatoes.
- Batat: what is this vegetable
- The differences between the yam and the potato
- What is healthier: yams or potatoes
- Composition and calories
- What is useful for yams
- Utility of yam for weight loss
- Therapeutic properties of yam
- Can you eat yams with diabetes
- yam in cosmetics
- Moisturizing Mask for Face
- Mask for oily skin
- Mask for hair growth
- Harms and Contraindications
- How to Store Yams
- How to cook yam: Recipes
- Baked yam
- Mashed potatoes
- Can I Eat a Raw Yams?
- Interesting facts about yams
In addition to the excellent taste qualities, the vegetable has useful properties. A person will get a general strengthening of the body's defenses if he eats yams.
Yams: what is this vegetable
The overseas amazing fruit is sometimes tried to compare with the familiar to us potato. However, the similarity is limited only to appearance. The taste qualities, composition and caloric content of the valuable food crop are quite different. The edible part of the yam is elongated tubers. The vegetable belongs to the creeper family. It is widely cultivated in China, India and Indonesia.
The stems of the yam are creeping, sometimes reaching a length of 5 meters. The plant has large, funnel-like leaves. The plants are pollinated by bees. Flowers during flowering are white or purple in color. One tuber of yam can grow to a length of 30 cm and reach a weight of 3 kg. The tubers in a thin shell, the flesh has a dry structure. The exotic root vegetable has many varieties, it is baked, boiled, made yam puree.
The difference between yams and potatoes
All people know what an ordinary potato is. Tubers have a round irregular shape with eyes and various cracks. The flesh of the vegetable is much lighter than the skin. Potatoes are not eaten raw: it can lead to health problems. The yam has similarities with the potato, especially the red varieties. However, there are significant differences. The yam fruit is much longer and the flesh has a richer orange color. Some varieties of yams have white flesh. The structure of the flesh of potato roots is much friable and contains starch.
The main distinguishing feature of yams from potatoes is that they can be eaten raw without damaging the body. The yam is cooked in the same way as the well-known potato.
Which is healthier: yams or potatoes?
The nutritional value of sweet potatoes is slightly higher than that of ordinary potatoes. Potato tubers contain 16 grams of carbohydrates with a caloric value of 77 kcal per 100 grams of vegetable. The yams have less carbohydrates in a similar serving - 13 grams, so it has a lower caloric value - 60 kcal.
Potatoes have more potassium, which is necessary for proper functioning and strengthening muscles, and various B vitamins. On the other hand, yams have a lot of vitamin A, which is so necessary for normal vision. In spite of the similarity in their composition, both vegetables have different effects on the vital functions of the body.
Experts consider yams to be a healthier food. Potatoes contain a lot of starch, which in high volumes negatively affects the figure. Nevertheless, both root crops have beneficial properties and should occupy an honorable place in the human menu.
Composition and calories
The yam fruit contains a high concentration of glucose. The caloric value of yams per 100 grams of the vegetable is about 60 kcal. Also in the composition are present vitamins, trace elements, there is no fat content.
In 100 grams of yam contains (data in percent):
- organic acids - 0.1;
- proteins - 2;
- carbohydrates - 13;
- starch - 7.3;
- ash - 1.2
- monosaccharides and disaccharides - 6;
- fiber - 1,3;
- water - 80.
The amount of carotene in yams depends on the variety. Vegetables with richer coloring of the flesh have higher carotene levels. Also in the composition there are vitamins B, PP, ascorbic acid.
What is the usefulness of the yam
The healing properties of the vegetable crop are due to its rich chemical composition. With regular use of a useful and nutritious product you can not only get vitamins and minerals, but also get rid of some diseases. So what is the usefulness of the overseas vegetable?
- Carotene, which is present in the composition, is responsible for youth and beauty. It helps to produce collagen, which successfully fights the appearance of wrinkles. Therefore, the use of yam has an excellent effect on the skin, thereby having a rejuvenating effect.
- The vegetable is excellent for lowering blood pressure, prevents the appearance of cholesterol deposits and improves blood flow.
- The potassium content helps to cope with depression. Any stress contributes to the loss of potassium, and eating yams will replenish the body with the necessary substance. A natural antidepressant, it helps to cope with fatigue and irritability.
- In diabetes, it is important to eat foods that do not affect sugar spikes. The yams have a low glycemic index, which means they are not dangerous for diabetics.
- The vegetable can be eaten to prevent the onset and development of joint diseases. The yam has properties that help reduce brain and muscle inflammation.
- The exotic fruit is hugely beneficial for normalizing digestion. The vegetable has in its composition dietary fiber, it prevents the formation of constipation, soothes inflammatory pain in gastritis or ulcers.
- The yam also has a beneficial effect on smokers. Regular smoking removes vitamin A. With the help of the vegetable, the stock of the vitamin is replenished.
- It is equally important to consume the vegetable for people who want to build muscle mass. Many athletes begin to introduce yams into the diet to achieve better results.
The benefits of yams for weight loss
Vegetables make up the lion's share of weight loss programs. The yams are excellent for normalizing digestion and helping to get rid of constipation. The starch in this vegetable is less than in ordinary potatoes. The product contains a rich set of vitamins and trace elements that contribute to the normalization of the intestines and stomach, all of this leads to the indispensable loss of excess weight.
Nutritionists have developed many programs for effective weight loss, where there is a place for yams. The versatile vegetable is eaten raw, baked, boiled and stewed. In order for the vegetables to be beneficial, they should be cooked correctly and in a gentle way. You can also prepare a puree of boiled yams, add fruit or dried fruit. You can boil a soup or make a vegetable stew.
For weight loss, it is desirable to use raw yams. It can be chopped and mixed with other vegetables, as well as grated. If you follow the rules of nutrition, it is easy enough to get rid of the hated pounds.
Therapeutic properties of yams
Sweet potatoes have many medicinal properties.
- General tonic and anti-inflammatory effect on the body is due to the content of important elements. With the help of yams you can relieve joint inflammation, pain in inflammatory processes in the stomach.
- The starch contained in the vegetable has an enveloping effect.
- If you include yams in your diet, you can get rid of depression, strengthen the walls of blood vessels, thereby reducing cholesterol, maintain the skin in excellent condition, lower blood pressure and stop the blood in case of injuries.
- Also sweet potatoes are used to heal deep cuts quickly.
- The yam is popular in folk medicine. It is used in the preparation of infusions and decoctions, in which not only the underground part of the plant, but also the stems are added. For example, the juice of the yam fruit is excellent for stomach ailments. It is especially recommended for gastritis, as it protects the mucosa from irritation.
- Also the fruit of the sweet potato is used to support the female body. The yam is often used in the menopausal period and for colds. If you use dishes containing yams, you can strengthen the immune system. The vegetable is recommended to elderly people, as it has a restorative effect on the entire body.
Can I eat yams with diabetes?
People with diabetes not only can, but also need to eat yams. This unique vegetable can stabilize blood sugar levels.
Thanks to the fiber it contains, it removes cholesterol from the body, which helps to normalize sugar levels. The small amount of carbohydrates does not affect the concentration of glucose in the body.
Of course, like all products, you should not eat yams uncontrollably. In this case, even the most useful product can harm your health.
The yam in cosmetology
The vegetable has female hormones in its composition, so it is especially useful for beautiful ladies. The substances contained in the vegetable have a rejuvenating effect on the female body. The yam helps to make the skin and blood vessels more elastic, relieve inflammation. The vegetable promotes the formation of female hormones. Remarkable impact the vegetable has on the skin and hair. Self-cooked masks can refresh, clean and rejuvenate the skin.
Moisturizing face mask
Boiled yam should be mashed with a fork and add honey and cucumber juice. Mix well and put a layer on your face. After 20 minutes, rinse with room temperature water. At the end of the procedure it is recommended to wipe your face with ice.
Mask for oily skin
Mashed potato of one yam mixed with one chicken protein and cream. The resulting porridge put on your face for 15 minutes. After time it is necessary to wash with warm water.
Mask for hair growth
Not only the skin of the face will be nourished by the yam. With its help you can accelerate hair growth. To do this, squeeze the juice from the raw vegetable and rub it into the hair roots. After 20 minutes, you need to wash your head in the usual way with shampoo.
Hazards and contraindications
The yam is used not only for food, but also for the preparation of medicinal infusions. Any medicinal remedy has a number of contraindications. Tinctures and powder from the raw root are contraindicated in some cases:
- In ulcerative colitis.
- Restricted use in pregnancy.
If you consume a lot of yams, it can provoke the appearance of kidney stones. So a little harm from yams can still be, so in everything it is necessary to know the measure.
How to store yams
After harvesting, it is recommended to store the vegetables in wooden or plastic containers. Root crops can be interspersed with sand, straw or sawdust. You can also wrap each vegetable in paper. Store at a temperature of +13 to +16 degrees. At a lower temperature, the fruits may begin to spoil, rot. And if there is a higher temperature in the room, the tubers will begin to sprout.
How to cook yams: Recipes
A wonderful and useful vegetable is used for dietary nutrition. Its composition helps to establish the work of the intestines, get rid of constipation. The yam can be boiled, steamed, baked, cooked in various dishes and eaten raw.
It does not take much time to bake. Vegetables need to be rinsed with water, scrape off the skin with a knife. If the vegetables are large, they can be cut. Place yams on a mold or tray and put in a preheated oven. You can wrap each vegetable in foil, then the juice will make the tubers softer and juicier. After cooking, you can sprinkle the yams with your favorite seasonings.
First you need to peel the tubers, then you can cut them into several pieces, so that they boil faster. In the prepared pot put the vegetables and pour water. It is necessary to salt to taste and put on the stove. Boil yams for about 20 minutes. Ready cooked vegetables mash with the addition of butter.
The tubers of yams are cut into thin slices. The oven should be heated to 200 degrees. Then put the slices on a greased baking tray, brush with oil, salt, pepper and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. Bake for about 15-20 minutes on one side, then turn the slices upside down and repeat the process.
For the preparation you need:
- yams - 600 gr;
- flour - 150 gr;
- eggs - 3 pcs;
- cream - 300 ml;
- vegetable oil - 2 tbsp;
- baking powder - 10 gr;
- powdered sugar.
Mix flour, eggs, salt, cream and baking powder in a bowl. Then add grated yams. Everything is mixed well. The resulting mass is used for baking pancakes. Use a spoon to spread the mass on a frying pan and fry it on both sides.
Is it possible to eat raw yams?
The main difference between yams and potatoes is the possibility of eating them raw. In this form the vegetables bring even more benefits for the body, because all the vitamins and minerals are not subjected to processing. The vegetable can be added to a variety of dishes, made into salads and eaten as an independent product.
By the way, yams do not need to be added salt when cooking and eating. Root vegetables can be cut or grated, then added to any vegetable salad.
Interesting facts about yams
The unique exotic vegetable is not only rich in valuable nutrients, but also has interesting individual features.
- The yams contain the female hormone progesterone. With its help it increases sex drive in women, so it can be safely attributed to aphrodisiacs.
- The versatile vegetable is used as a component for making flour, starch, sugar and alcohol. For this purpose they take not only the tubers of the plant, but also the stems and leaves.
- Asians prefer the yam variety, which has a purple color flesh.
- The seeds are suitable as a coffee substitute.
- There is not one word to describe the taste of yams. All varieties differ in taste. It can be similar to pumpkin, to banana and nut, to chestnut or zucchini.
Interesting and useful vegetable is not as common in our country as potatoes. However, many gardeners love this amazing vegetable and grow it in their garden plots. Remarkable healing properties will help not only to establish digestive processes in the body, but also to cope with serious ailments.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only. for informational purposes only. Please consult with your health care professional before using any of the recommendations. specialist before using any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."