White beans: useful properties and recipes
White beans are one of the most common representatives of legumes. This product is widely used in cooking and has not only unique taste characteristics, but also many useful properties.
- Types of white beans
- What is the difference between white beans and red beans
- Which beans are healthier: white or red?
- Composition and calories
- What are White Beans Good for?
- Common Benefits
- For women
- For men
- For breastfeeding
- For children
- For weight loss
- The Benefits and Harms of Canned White Beans
- White Beans in Medicine
- Cosmetic use
- Harm and Contraindications
- How to choose and store
- What can be cooked of White Beans: Recipes
- How to cook
- Interesting facts about beans
Types of white beans
Experts divide beans into several varieties, each of which has a different size, shape and even color:
- Large. This variety is one of the most popular, often used for the preparation of many dishes. Such beans are characterized not only by their large size, but also by their unusual shape - square tips.
- Small. The main distinguishing feature of this species is its small size.
- Great nozern. Another variety of white beans is the variety of Great Nozern. The seeds of such a plant have a rounded shape and relatively small size.
- Cannellini. This species is very popular in Italy and is distinguished by its unusual shape - the edges of the seeds are slightly angular.
- Oval. No less popular variety is the white oval bean. It differs not only in its oval shape, but also in its very small size, which does not exceed the diameter of green peas.
- Red and white spotted beans. The seeds have a rounded shape. Such beans are quite large and have excellent taste characteristics.
Each variety of white beans has a great taste, delicate texture and can be used to prepare first, second dishes and salads.
How white beans differ from red beans
Despite belonging to the same subspecies and some similarities, white beans differ from red beans in the following characteristics:
- Color. It's impossible to confuse white beans with red beans. The seeds of the two plants are not the same color. The first has a smooth, white hue and only in some cases may be covered with spots of red, while the second is colored in a rich shade of burgundy.
- Caloric value. Red beans contain considerably more calories than white ones.
- Plant protein content. Red beans contain a huge amount of vegetable protein, which cannot be said about white beans.
- Organic content. There are more organic substances per 100 g of red beans than white ones.
- Vitamin C content. Both varieties of beans contain many vitamins, macro- and microelements. However, white beans contain much more vitamin C than red ones.
- Grain density. White beans are distinguished by their fibrousness and the softness of their finished kernels. While red beans are much denser, which allows them to be used for salads.
- Cooking time. Kernels of each bean variety differ in their hardness and need to be soaked beforehand. However, it is worth noting that white beans soften faster.
Which beans are healthier: white or red?
It is extremely difficult to say which bean is healthier for humans. Both white and red beans are capable of beneficial effects on the human body. This is easily explained by the content in the composition of these products a large number of nutrients.
For example, red beans are more suitable for people suffering from such pathologies:
- Underweight. Red beans contain significantly more calories, which are necessary for weight gain.
- Nervous system disorders. The composition of this product includes substances that help normalize the central nervous system. They will help to prevent the development of nerves, depressions and restless states.
- Frequent colds. Regular consumption of red beans will help improve the immune system.
White beans are ideal for people who have such problems:
- Nervous system malfunctions. As with red beans, the composition of white beans can have a beneficial effect on the central nervous system. This helps to prevent any disorders in its work.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. White beans are able to have a positive effect on the organs of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Elevated blood sugar levels (diabetes).
Based on each of the above facts, it is safe to say that both red and white beans have a beneficial effect on the human body. At the same time, it is simply impossible to single out the most useful of these varieties.
Composition and calories
White beans have a rich composition and include many vitamins, macro-and micronutrients. In 100 g of this product there are:
- 2.5 mcg of vitamin K - 2.1% of the daily allowance.
- 0.8 mg of vitamin B1 - 64.6% of the daily requirement.
- 364.0 mcg of vitamin B9 - 91% of the daily requirement.
- 0.2 mg of vitamin B2 - 12.6% of the daily requirement.
- 0.4 mg of vitamin B6 - 32.9% of the daily allowance.
- 2.2 mg of vitamin B3 - 13.7% of the daily requirement.
- 0.7 mg of vitamin B5 - 14.9% of the daily allowance.
- 87.4 mg of vitamin B4 - 17.5% of the daily allowance.
- 147 mg of calcium - 14.7% of the daily allowance.
- 11.0 mcg of selenium - 20% of the daily allowance.
- 5.5 mg of iron - 54.9% of the daily allowance.
- 1.4 mg of manganese - 61.7% of the daily allowance.
- 175.0 mg of magnesium - 43.8% of the daily allowance.
- 0.8 mg of copper - 92.7% of the daily allowance.
- 407.0 mg of phosphorus - 58.1% of the daily allowance.
- 3.7 mg of zinc - 33.2% of the daily allowance.
- 1,185.0 mg of potassium - 25.2% of the daily allowance.
- 5.0 mg sodium - 0.4% of the daily allowance.
In 100 g of white beans there are 22,3 g of vegetable protein, 1,5 g of fat, 60,8 g of carbohydrates. At the same time the amount of proteins, fats and carbohydrates is 30%, 2% and 20% of the daily norm.
As for caloric content - 100 g of white beans contain 300 calories.
What are the health benefits of the White Kidney Bean?
Thanks to its unique composition regular consumption of white beans in any form will help maintain health for many years. Macro-, micro-nutrients and vitamins that enter the human body through this food product help
- relieve the unpleasant symptoms of atherosclerosis;
- prevent the development of cardiovascular diseases;
- cope with the manifestations of hypertension;
- Improve the function of the central nervous system;
- Facilitate rehabilitation after major surgery;
- prevent the development of diseases in the gastrointestinal tract;
- improve metabolic processes in the human body;
- to get rid of edema;
- reduce the level of sugar in the blood;
- improve the work of the pancreas;
- cleanse the liver and kidneys from accumulated over the years toxins and slags;
- Relieve unpleasant symptoms of gastritis;
- improve the work of the human immune system;
- to keep healthy teeth for many years;
- strengthen bone tissues;
- prevent the development of anemia;
- cope with serious diseases of the joints.
White beans should be part of every woman's daily diet. Regular consumption of this product will help:
- maintain the youthfulness and beauty of the skin;
- Improve the condition and appearance of weakened hair;
- strengthen the nails;
- maintain healthy teeth;
- cope with depression, hysteria, nervousness and manifestations of premenstrual syndrome;
- prevent the development of avitaminosis;
- reduce the risk of malignant tumors.
In this case, white beans are able to have a positive effect on the female body both inside and outside (as part of home cosmetics). This fact is especially important for those women who seek to preserve their beauty with the help of natural cosmetics.
According to many experts, men should not refuse to eat white beans and men. Systematic consumption of this product will help:
- improve the functioning of all internal organs and systems;
- Reduce the risk of diseases of the genitourinary system;
- recharge the body with energy;
- prevent the development of avitaminosis;
- Reduce the likelihood of cardiovascular disease;
- improve potency;
- build muscle mass.
It is worth understanding that the amount of white beans consumed should not exceed the allowable norms. Excessive consumption of this product can lead to the development of unpleasant consequences, including flatulence and a feeling of heaviness in the stomach.
In the diet of a pregnant woman no other product can replace white beans. The consumption of dishes, a component of which are the fruits of this plant, will help the future mother to get rid of such problems:
- gastrointestinal disorders;
- frequent constipation;
- low hemoglobin;
- nervousness, depression and other nervous disorders;
- disorders of the kidneys;
Doctors draw the attention of pregnant women to the fact that only properly cooked beans can be consumed. Otherwise, there is a risk of serious poisoning, which is extremely undesirable in this period of a woman's life.
But while breastfeeding a baby it is better to avoid the consumption of white beans completely. According to pediatricians, even small amounts of this product can lead to severe flatulence in the newborn baby, colic, restless behavior and severe pain.
This product can be introduced into the diet of a nursing mother only after the permission of the pediatrician. At the same time, the amount of this product should be strictly limited.
Introduce white beans in the daily diet of a child can be introduced only after he reaches ten months of age. In this case, before introducing the product to the children's menu, it is necessary to consult with the district pediatrician, who will help identify contraindications to the use of this product, establish the correct rate of its consumption and tell the young mother about the acceptable ways of preparation.
Consumption of white beans in childhood will help to strengthen the body of the baby and have a beneficial effect on its development. The rich composition of this product is able to:
- protect the child's nervous system from various kinds of irritants;
- improve the performance of the digestive system of your baby;
- Prevent the development of serious respiratory diseases and alleviate the condition of the child in the early stages of the disease;
- Normalize the metabolism of carbohydrates in the child's body;
- Prevent the development of anemia;
- Strengthen bone tissues;
- To preserve the health of children's teeth.
Pediatricians draw the attention of parents to the fact that uncontrolled consumption of white beans can lead to bloating, colic or a feeling of heaviness in the stomach.
When losing weight
The caloric value of cooked white beans is 122 calories per 100 grams of cooked product. This allows you to include it in a diet whose goal is to lose weight. In this case, even a small amount of boiled beans will help get rid of the feeling of hunger for a long time, without worsening the overall condition of the person losing weight.
The use of this product during the diet will have a positive effect on human health. Its regular consumption will lead to:
- to the normalization of metabolic processes;
- saturation of the body with vitamins, macro-and micronutrients;
- Reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases;
- Get rid of edema.
In addition, the use of white beans during a diet will help prevent weight gain and will not cause the development of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, which is a common consequence of dieting.
The benefits and harms of canned white beans
On the shelves of modern stores you can find not only raw, but also canned white beans. Canned beans retain all their beneficial properties and are a product recommended for use in the development of such diseases:
- diabetes mellitus of any type;
- diseases of the bronchi and lungs;
- heart rhythm disorder.
In addition, regular consumption of this product will be an ideal component of the diet, the purpose of which is to recover from serious operations. Beans will help cope with disorders of the central nervous system and improve metabolism.
When including canned beans in your daily diet, you should pay attention to the fact that their caloric content is much higher. In 100 grams of canned product contains about 99 kcal. Dietitians are advised to take this fact into account when deciding to introduce canned beans to the dietary menu.
However, despite the many useful properties and rich composition, canned beans can harm the body. Excessive consumption of this product will lead to the occurrence of such manifestations:
- pain syndrome localized in the abdomen;
- a feeling of heaviness.
Canned beans may also have a negative impact on the human body if the finished product contains a large amount of dyes and preservatives. So you should pay attention to this fact when buying and choose the most natural product.
White beans in medicine
Many physicians confirm the fact that the use of white beans helps to maintain human health and helps to get rid of serious diseases. Experts advise consuming beans and its derivatives to those patients who suffer from such pathologies:
- Serious diseases of the cardiovascular system. The composition of white beans is unique. Its components will help strengthen blood vessels, improve blood circulation, remove accumulations of harmful cholesterol from the human body and normalize the heart rhythm.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, including pancreatitis and gastritis. The composition of beans helps to cope with the acute symptoms of these diseases and speed up the recovery process.
- Frequent constipation. Medics recommend using beans and those patients who suffer from constipation. Fiber, which is included in its composition, will help to cope with this unpleasant problem and prevent its return.
- Diseases of the joints. Calcium and other trace elements that are part of these beans will stop the development of diseases such as rheumatism or gout, strengthen bone and cartilage tissues.
- Diabetes mellitus. Therapists strongly recommend that patients who suffer from any type of diabetes include white beans in their daily diet. It can help control blood sugar levels and prevent spikes. There are cases when consumption of beans and their derivatives became the cause of complete recovery from diabetes.
- Skin diseases. It's hard to find a dermatologist who will try to deny the amazing ability of beans to heal small wounds, improve skin condition and relieve unpleasant symptoms of skin diseases.
Of course, only a qualified specialist can assert the advisability of using white beans to treat this or that disease with absolute certainty. Only a doctor can assess the patient's condition, to identify the presence of contraindications and determine the individual rate of consumption of the product. That is why before using remedies, which include white beans, it is worth consulting with the attending physician.
Use in cosmetology
White beans are also widely used in cosmetology. The unique composition of this product is able to have an amazing effect on the skin. Regular use of masks, which include these beans, will help:
- saturate the skin with essential vitamins;
- whiten the skin;
- remove expression lines and wrinkles;
- make the skin elastic;
- Relieve existing inflammatory processes;
- Clear the face of pimples and black dots.
There are a huge number of recipes based on this product, but the most popular is the classic mask. For its preparation, the following components are needed:
- Bean puree.
- Olive oil.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Mix the above ingredients in equal quantities and apply the resulting mixture to the face and neck. Leave the mask for 15-20 minutes, then wash off with lukewarm water without using soap or other cleansers. Use such a mask not more than once a week. This will help improve the condition of the skin, whiten it and prevent the development of inflammation.
In the recipe for the classic bean mask you can add:
- Apple puree. This component will help to tighten the skin of the face.
- Sea salt. A mask with sea salt will make the skin elastic.
- Oatmeal. A small amount of oatmeal will enhance the whitening effect.
- Eggs. Eggs will intensify the rejuvenating effect of beans.
- Mashed potatoes. The product will prevent the appearance of wrinkles.
Ground in a blender after boiling beans can be mixed with cosmetic clay and make a mask 2-3 times a week to nourish the skin. Especially well suited such a tool for owners of oily skin.
Cosmetologists do not recommend using such home remedies without first testing for allergic reactions. To make sure that homemade cosmetics will not cause rash, itching, redness and other unwanted symptoms, test for allergic reactions before using the mask. To do this, apply a small amount of the prepared product to the inside of the elbow bend, leave it for 7-10 minutes, then remove it with a soft sponge. If the skin showed rashes or other symptoms of allergies, refuse to use such cosmetics.
Health Hazards and Contraindications
Despite the many useful properties, white beans can harm human health, but only if you consume them in unlimited quantities or neglect contraindications.
Doctors do not recommend consuming this product for patients who suffer from such diseases:
- Gastritis and other diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, which are accompanied by an increase in acidity.
- Ulcers in the intestine.
- Colitis and cholecystitis.
In addition, experts recommend limiting the consumption of beans during breastfeeding and if you identify a personal intolerance to the product.
Remember that you can not ignore the contraindications to the consumption of this product! Otherwise, there is a risk of developing serious diseases and deterioration of general well-being.
How to choose and store
To talk about the benefits of beans for the human body is possible only if the product is of high quality. In order not to make a mistake and not to buy low-grade, spoiled beans, when buying pay attention to the following characteristics:
- Bulkiness. Grains of quality beans should be loose and not stick to each other.
- Color. The color of the beans should be uniform, without extraneous shades or dark spots. Their presence indicates spoilage of the product.
- The presence of extraneous impurities. A package of beans should not contain any impurities in the form of grass, soil, husks or debris.
- Smoothness. Quality beans should be smooth and shiny.
- Size. Each grain should have the same size. This indicates a high quality of the purchased product.
- Integrity of packaging. Damaged packaging tells you that it is better to refuse to buy beans.
- Density. Kernels should be firm. Soft beans are not suitable for consumption.
- Presence of moisture. Condensation inside the package should be a reason to refuse to buy the product.
To preserve the useful properties of the purchased product, it is important to properly prepare it:
- Remove all damaged and soft grains.
- If traces of moisture have been noticed on the beans, dry the grains.
- Prepare a clean, dry container. Ideal option for storage is a glass jar, which can be closed with a tight lid. Place the dried grains in it.
- Put it in a dark, cool place.
You should also take into account the fact that the beans should be stored in a room with low humidity and a temperature not exceeding 7 degrees Celsius.
What to cook with white beans: Recipes
White beans are used to prepare many dishes. It is often added to salads, a variety of soups and even cutlets.
To prepare the salad, you will need the following ingredients:
- Half a cup of boiled white beans.
- 100g of boiled chicken fillets.
- 1 medium onion.
- A small amount of mayonnaise.
- 10 ml of vinegar.
- Salt, spices and herbs - to taste.
- Wash the onion and peel it from the husks.
- Cut the onion into thin half rings.
- Put the sliced onions in any container of suitable size and pour the vinegar over them.
- Allow the onions to marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- After this time has elapsed, drain off all the vinegar. You can use a colander or sieve for this.
- Mix all ingredients in a salad bowl that is the right size.
- Dress the salad with mayonnaise, add salt, spices and herbs.
Such a snack will help diversify your daily diet and can decorate the holiday table.
White bean soup is not only delicious, but also a very healthy dish. Try to cook it at least once. You won't be able to refuse it any more!
To make this delicious soup take:
- Half a cup of beans.
- 500g of any kind of meat.
- 500g potatoes.
- 1 carrot.
- 1 medium onion.
- 200 ml of tomato juice.
- Salt, spices and herbs - to taste.
Preparation of the soup:
- Prepare the beans. Soak it in water for 6 hours. This will help speed up the process of cooking the beans.
- After the specified time, place the beans in a container suitable for boiling, pour it with so much water that it covers all the grains and cook until tender.
- While the beans are boiling, start cooking the broth.
- Place the meat in a pot, pour the purified water over it, and simmer until tender.
- Prepare a roast of grated or finely chopped carrots and chopped onions.
- When it is ready, pour it into the broth.
- Now proceed to prepare the dressing.
- Pour into a deep pan of tomato juice, add to it your favorite spices and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- When the meat is cooked, take it out of the pan and let it cool.
- Cut the cooled meat into cubes and pour it into the pot.
- Peel potatoes, rinse them under running water and cut them into cubes.
- Pour it into the broth and cook until tender.
- When the potatoes are ready, add the beans and tomato to the soup.
- Boil it for 10 more minutes.
- Add salt and herbs.
Serve the soup after it has infused. It will only take 15-20 minutes.
Lobio can be called the most popular dish, the main ingredient of which is beans. Its taste will amaze even the most capricious gourmet.
To prepare lobio, prepare:
- 2 full cups of beans.
- 3 carrots.
- 20 ml vegetable oil.
- 30 ml of tomato paste.
- A bunch of dill.
- A bundle of parsley.
- A bunch of basil.
- Favorite spices and salt.
Preparing the lobio:
- Fill beans with water and leave overnight.
- In the morning, drain the remaining water, pour in new water and put the beans to boil.
- They will cook for about 90 minutes.
- Salt the beans 5-7 minutes before they are ready.
- While the beans are cooking, grate or finely chop the carrots.
- Braise it in a preheated pan.
- Add the beans to the carrots.
- Pour the bean broth into the mixture.
- Add tomato, spices and salt.
- Bring lobio to a boil and continue to cook on low heat for another 20-25 minutes.
- Add finely chopped herbs 5-7 minutes before cooking.
Ready dish can be served both hot and cold.
Bean cutlets are very popular among vegetarians and have excellent taste.
To prepare them you will need:
- Beans - 2 cups.
- Onions - 3 pieces.
- Carrots - 1 piece.
- Manka - 40 grams.
- Garlic - 2-3 cloves.
- Olive oil.
- A little parsley and dill.
- Salt and spices - to taste.
Preparation of cutlets:
- Soak the beans in water for 6-8 hours.
- After the specified time, pour out the water and boil the beans in a small amount of water.
- When the grains are soft, drain, cool and chop them in any convenient way.
- Add semolina, spices, salt to the ground grains and mix thoroughly.
- Lightly fry chopped onion with grated carrots and add to the stuffing.
- Form small cutlets.
- Fry them on both sides in a preheated pan.
Sprinkle the ready cutlets with finely chopped greens and serve. Bon appetit!
How to Cook
For the beans to be tasty and soft, you need to cook them correctly. In this case, the first stage of cooking this product is the most important and involves soaking the beans in water. In this way, the beans should stand overnight. Only after performing these actions, it will become soft. Consider also the fact that for 1 cup of fruit you will need 5 cups of clean, cool water.
After soaking, you can start cooking the beans:
- Drain all the water. Rinse the beans under running water.
- Place the clean beans in a container suitable for boiling and pour in enough water to cover all the beans.
- Put the pot on fire and bring it to the boil.
- Make the fire low and boil the beans until they are ready. Cooking can take anywhere from 30 to 150 minutes. When the beans are almost ready, add salt to them.
Important! Do not stir the beans during cooking and do not cover the pot with a lid.
Following these simple rules for cooking beans will help you get the dish you want.
Interesting facts about beans
About the useful properties and uses of beans known to very many housewives. But only a few know that this unique product:
- Was known to people as early as 3000 B.C., as mentioned in Chinese chronicles.
- It was brought to the territory of America by everybody known to Columbus.
- Has over 300 varieties, all of which are used as food.
- It can smell like mushrooms. This statement applies to the varieties Ad Rem and Akito.
- It gets its name from the Greek word phasiolus, which translates as "long narrow boat".
- It is present in the diet of all military personnel.
- Can protect people from cancer.
- Helps maintain a woman's beauty and youthfulness, heart and vascular health for many years.
- It contains more protein than chicken meat.
- Consumed in huge quantities by residents of Great Britain.
- It helps to cope with depression, nervousness and other psycho-emotional disorders.
Beans are able to improve the human body and maintain health for many years. In addition, regular consumption of this product will help to prevent the development of dangerous diseases and improve the overall condition of the person, but only if you consume the grains of this plant correctly. Follow all the recommendations, do not ignore the contraindications, experiment, prepare new dishes and enjoy the unique taste of white beans!
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only purposes. Consult with your health care professional before applying any recommendations. specialist before using the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."