Tea with oregano: useful properties and contraindications
Oregano or oregano is a plant that has unique flavor characteristics and a marvelous aroma, which allows you to use it both for cooking dishes and for creating delicious drinks, including teas.
- Composition and calories
- Useful properties of oregano tea
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- In pregnancy
- For children
- Tea with oregano in medicine
- Harm and contraindications
- How to brew tea with oregano
- When to harvest oregano for tea
- How to Dry
- How to Store
- Interesting facts about oregano
Every foodie will love oregano tea. Its rich aroma and wonderful, unique taste should be experienced only once, and it will forever remain in the memory, prompting a desire to brew oregano again and again. However, it is not only the taste that will amaze you with this drink. With regular use, it can have a positive impact on human health, helping to cope with colds and many other diseases, improving the work of some internal organs and preventing the development of serious pathological processes.
Composition and calories
Tea with oregano is a rich source of vitamins, macro- and micronutrients. In 100 g of oregano contains:
- 90 g of water.
- 5 g carbohydrates.
- 4 g of monosaccharides.
- 1.5 g of proteins.
- 1.0 g of ash.
- 0.5 g starch.
- 0.5 g of dietary fiber.
- 0.1 g of organic acids.
The ability of the plant to resist colds is due to the presence of some vitamins in its composition. 100 g of oregano includes:
- 10 mg of ascorbic acid.
- 0.749 mg of vitamin B3.
- 0.03 mg of riboflavin.
- 0.03 mg of vitamin B1.
- 0.1 mg of beta-carotene.
Among the minerals in 100 g of oregano occurs:
- 260 mg potassium.
- 30 mg of magnesium.
- 70 mg of sodium.
- 40 mg calcium.
- 50 mg phosphorus.
- 0.5 mg of iron.
- 0.009 mg of iodine.
Each of the nutrients included in oregano is also contained in tea prepared on the basis of this plant. This explains the useful properties of the drink and its wide application for the treatment of a number of diseases.
Tea with oregano is approved for use even for those people who suffer from excessive weight. The drink is considered low-calorie. In 100 ml of tea contains only 27 calories.
Useful properties of oregano tea
Tea based on oregano has many beneficial properties, including:
This allows you to use the drink not only for gastronomic pleasure, but also to improve the general condition of the body, as well as the treatment and prevention of a number of serious diseases.
With regular use, tea from oregano is able to have a beneficial effect on the work of many internal organs and systems:
- When used systematically, oregano tea has a positive effect on the work of the human central nervous system, preventing the development of nervousness, depression, sleep disorders and epilepsy.
- oregano is one of the most effective remedies to combat flatulence and other disorders of the gastrointestinal organs.
- Tea with oregano is used to treat and prevent diseases of the upper respiratory tract, including bronchitis and pneumonia.
Due to its unique composition, tea prepared on the basis of oregano will help:
- Relieve acute toothache.
- Get rid of parasites.
- Improve the condition of the skin, removing inflammation and getting rid of all kinds of rashes.
- Normalize the work of the liver.
- Prevent the development of diseases of the stomach.
- Normalize the work of the gallbladder.
- Deal with diseases caused by pathogenic fungi.
- Fight inflammation of the mucous membranes of the mouth and gums.
- Reduce high blood pressure.
- Prevent the development of cancer.
- Relieve acute pain during a migraine.
- Stimulate the production of gastric juice.
- Manage cold symptoms, at any stage of the disease.
- Improve the work of the immune system.
- Accelerate metabolic processes in the human body.
Tea with oregano is a unique remedy that will help get rid of many diseases and prevent their relapse. However, physicians warn - to consume this drink in excessive quantities is strictly prohibited! In case of non-compliance with this recommendation, there is a risk of the development of unpleasant symptoms, the deterioration of general health and the emergence of related diseases.
Oregano is considered a female plant, so the use of teas, in which it is included, is recommended, first of all, representatives of the beautiful half of humanity. With the regular use of such a drink improves not only the general well-being of the woman, but also her appearance.
Tea with oregano will help:
- Save a woman's beauty and youthfulness for many years. The use of oregano tea in combination with home care products based on this plant will help improve the complexion, prevent inflammation and rashes, and stop premature and premature skin aging. The use of teas with oregano in combination with home care cosmetics, prepared on the basis of this plant, will help to improve the complexion, prevent inflammation, rashes and stop premature aging.
- Prevent the development of gynecological diseases and speed up the recovery process if you have them. About the healing properties of tea with oregano is known very much. In this case, not only the experts of folk medicine confirm the effectiveness of this remedy, but also qualified physicians. With the regular use of this drink reduces the risk of diseases of the organs of the female reproductive system, normalizes hormonal background and reduces unpleasant symptoms that accompany the onset of menopause.
- Relieve pain syndrome that occurs during menstruation. Many women note the occurrence of pain syndrome in the first days of menstruation. Due to the antispasmodic properties, tea with oregano will help relieve pain and ease the general condition of women.
- To cope with stressful situations and prevent the emergence of depression. The composition of oregano includes substances that can have a beneficial effect on the central nervous system, which is especially important for working women. Regular use of tea, prepared on the basis of oregano, will help to cope with constant stress, insomnia and other disorders.
- Restore the menstrual cycle. This amazing drink is able to influence the menstrual cycle. It is recommended to be consumed in case of failure caused by hormonal or any other disorders.
Oregano is able to have a positive effect on the male body as well. If used correctly, oregano tea can help:
- Cure alcohol addiction.
- Relieve nervous tension, which is especially important for men who occupy high positions.
- Accelerate the recovery process during colds at different stages of development.
However, physicians draw the attention of men to the fact that it is strictly forbidden to drink this drink all the time! This will lead to a decrease in sexual desire and may cause the emergence of complete sexual impotence. It is possible to protect yourself from such consequences, only by strictly limiting the amount of consumption of this drink.
But during the period of carrying a child from tea with oregano it is better to give up. According to doctors, the use of this drink will lead to an increase in estrogen in the blood of a pregnant woman, which can provoke the occurrence of uterine bleeding and, as a consequence, the loss of the fetus.
Doctors allow the use of oregano as a cosmetic, but only in the later stages of pregnancy and in strictly limited quantities.
In the postpartum period, medics allow the use of tea with oregano. However, to include this drink in the daily diet is possible only after consulting with your doctor. In this case, its quantity should be strictly limited.
In small doses, this drink is able to have a beneficial effect on the body of a nursing woman:
- Prevent the development of fungal diseases and get rid of the disease if it is present. During breastfeeding, a woman is contraindicated serious medications, which can significantly complicate the treatment of many diseases, including fungal. Cope with such diseases can tea with oregano.
- Increase the body's resistance to viruses that attack it. Vitamins, which are included in the tea with oregano, can increase immunity and prevent the development of colds and many other diseases, which is especially important for nursing mothers.
- Eliminate the symptoms of certain diseases and disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. Due to the unique properties of tea with oregano can cope with colic, inflammatory processes developing in the internal organs of the gastrointestinal tract, disorders, flatulence, constipation and increased gas.
- Improve the quality and production of breast milk. Tea, prepared on the basis of oregano, has a beneficial effect on the production of breast milk. However, it is advisable to consult with your doctor and a lactation consultant before using it for this purpose.
- Suppress sexual desire. After childbirth a woman's body undergoes another hormonal restructuring, which may cause the emergence of strong sexual desire. As we know, sexual intercourse in the postpartum period is extremely undesirable. Therefore, to suppress sexual desire, women are advised to use tea prepared on the basis of oregano.
Among other things, oregano is an excellent antispasmodic, which allows you to replace the tea prepared from it, painkillers. Such a drink will help alleviate or completely relieve pain syndrome of any intensity. However, to use tea with oregano for this purpose is possible only after consultation with a therapist.
Despite its many beneficial properties, tea with oregano is strictly forbidden to introduce in the daily diet of children! If this contraindication is ignored, the drink will have a negative effect on the hormonal background of the child and may lead to the development of reproductive system disorders in both boys and girls. Other undesirable consequences are also possible.
Tea with oregano in medicine
Tea with oregano is a drink that has many therapeutic properties, which allows it to be used as a treatment for many diseases. Medics advise to include this drink in the complex therapy for such diseases: gastritis, colitis, disorders of intestinal peristalsis, flatulence as well:
- Diabetes mellitus of any type. With the regular use of this drink is a decrease in blood sugar levels. In addition, tea with oregano is able to remove harmful cholesterol from the human body and normalize the work of the gastrointestinal tract, which is also important for diabetics.
- Epilepsy. With long-term use of oregano tea there is an improvement in the general condition of patients suffering from epilepsy.
- Cancer. Tea from oregano is used as a means for the prevention and treatment of cancer. Regular use of this drink will be able to stop the multiplication of cancer cells and stop the development of the disease.
- Insomnia. A glass of oregano tea drunk before going to bed will help you relax and fall asleep quickly.
- Liver Diseases. Tea with oregano has a diuretic and choleretic effect, and also helps to eliminate toxins from the body, which allows its use for the treatment of some liver diseases.
- Bronchitis and other diseases of the upper respiratory tract. Tea with oregano is also indicated for diseases of the upper respiratory tract, including bronchitis, pneumonia. The effect of using the drink is due to the presence of expectorant, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
Harms and contraindications
Tea with oregano can not be called a completely safe drink. If the recommendations and dosages are not followed, this drink can be the cause of the development of a number of unpleasant symptoms, become a trigger for the development of chronic diseases and worsen the overall condition of the patient.
Doctors strongly recommend to completely refuse tea with oregano for those people who suffer from
- from ulcerative diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- high levels of acidity;
- kidney failure;
- Individual intolerance to one of the ingredients of the drink;
- diseases of the heart and blood vessels;
It is strictly forbidden to use tea prepared on the basis of oregano for women who are pregnant, and children. Neglecting this contraindication will not only lead to a deterioration of general well-being, but may also cause a serious threat to life.
However, even if there are no contraindications, drinking tea with oregano in unlimited quantities is prohibited. With excessive consumption, the effect can be just the opposite and cause unwanted symptoms, including:
- attacks of nausea;
- pain localized in the abdomen;
- General weakness.
With proper use and adherence to the recommended dosages, oregano tea is not capable of harming human health.
How to brew tea with oregano
Making tea with oregano is very simple. To make a drink according to the basic recipe, you will need only two ingredients: dried oregano and purified water. Pour 5 grams of crushed oregano in 250 ml of steeped boiling water and leave for 5-8 minutes. After the specified time, the tea will be ready to drink.
To improve the taste characteristics and useful properties of this amazing drink, you can add a small amount of:
- liquid honey;
- Fat, natural cream;
- chamomile flowers;
- St. John's wort;
- tea leaves.
Each of these ingredients combines perfectly with oregano. Therefore, when they are added, you get a drink, the taste of which will not leave any gourmet indifferent.
When to harvest oregano for tea
Tea from oregano is not only a useful drink, but also very tasty. However, to enjoy all its features and get the maximum benefit from its consumption, it is important to know at what time to collect the leaves, stems and flowers of this plant.
The ideal time to pick herbs is during the active flowering period, which falls in the last summer months. And for drying and further consumption, only the upper, flowering parts of the plant are suitable. Do not cut off the whole branch, but only 30 cm from the top. This part of oregano contains the maximum number of vitamins and minerals, which means that the tea prepared on its basis will be the most useful and most effective when used for medicinal purposes.
Important! Try not to damage the root system of the plant. This can lead to the complete death of the thicket.
How to dry
To preserve all the useful properties of the plant, you should dry it properly. There are several ways to do this:
- Outdoors. One of the easiest ways to dry oregano is to dry the plant outdoors. Tie the oregano sprigs into small bouquets, place them outside, on a balcony or attic, and leave them to dry completely. In order for the plant to retain all of its vitamins and minerals, you should do everything possible to avoid direct sunlight during drying. Note also the fact that drying the twigs in this way can take up to 7 days. If you need herbs sooner, it is better to dry them in a special dryer or in an oven.
- In a drying chamber. If you have a special dryer, place oregano in it and set the temperature at 35 degrees Celsius. If the temperature rises higher, oregano will lose more of its useful substances, after which it will not be worth using.
- In the oven. An equally popular way to dry the plant is to use a household oven. Place oregano in a single layer on a baking tray, turn on the oven and make a low heat. Place the tray with the sprigs in the oven and leave until completely dry. Check the sprigs every 4-5 minutes to make sure they are not burning.
After drying, the oregano needs to be picked. The brittle parts of the plant are ideal for cooking dishes or as a condiment. The coarse sprigs are used to make tea and other medicinal drinks.
How to store
It is equally important to know how to store dried oregano properly. To prevent spoilage, place dried sprigs of the plant in small cloth bags, dark glass containers, or paper bags. After bagging, place the blanks in a dark, cool place that is out of the sun's rays. In doing so, protect the piece from exposure to moisture and foreign, pungent odors. Otherwise, dried oregano will be spoiled.
If oregano was packed in paper bags or cloth sacks, the shelf life will not exceed a year and a half. Extend shelf life is only possible if you put oregano in a glass container and close it with a tight lid. In this form of preservation can be stored for up to 3 years.
Use oregano at the end of the shelf life is not recommended. Such a preparation loses not only its flavor and aroma, but all the useful properties. Expired billets are best thrown away.
Interesting facts about oregano
We can talk about the uniqueness and benefits of oregano endlessly. The plant is unique, and it is undeniable! However, if about its healing and useful properties are known to many supporters of herbal medicine, not everyone knows such facts:
- This plant most often grows near aspen and birch trees. However, in sparse forests you can find entire glades of oregano.
- Oregano is a honey-bearing plant and is grown on many bee farms.
- Although oregano is called "the herb of love", it is not capable of increasing libido. On the contrary - the plant dulls the libido, and in some cases can cause sexual impotence in men.
- This plant is considered feminine not only because of its positive effect on the body of women, but also because of its strong negative impact on the representatives of the strong half of mankind.
- Contrary to popular belief, oregano is more often used as a spice. For the preparation of teas, infusions and decoctions, it is harvested much less frequently.
- On the territory of modern Germany oregano is called "sausage herb". This plant received this name because of its use as a seasoning during the preparation of sausages and other meat dishes.
- The Italians call oregano "pizza herb". Because of its unique flavor characteristics and subtle aroma this plant is constantly used for cooking the real Italian pizza.
- In 100 grams of stalks of oregano contains more than 500 mg of vitamin C.
- This plant is not only used for teas, decoctions and infusions. It can be used to make drinks such as kvass and beer. In this case, their shelf life with the addition of oregano increases significantly, and the taste becomes brighter and more pleasant.
- In the composition of oregano can be found such a substance as corvalol.
- The unique composition of oregano makes this plant stronger than penicillin and other antibacterial drugs, which allows using it as an alternative to antibiotics.
- Consumption of formulas based on this plant will help prevent the development of cancer, stop the growth of malignant tumors and promote a speedy recovery.
When introducing oregano tea into your daily diet, remember that it is only beneficial in moderate amounts. With excessive consumption, the drink can have a negative impact on the human body and cause the development of dangerous diseases. That is why the consumption of such tea should be strictly controlled.
«Important: All information on the site is provided solely for educational purposes purposes. Consult with your health care professional before applying any recommendations. specialist before using the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."