Prunes: useful properties and contraindications.
Prunes are a favorite treat for many adults and children. This product has not only excellent taste qualities, but is also able to have a beneficial effect on the human body, saturating it with vitamins and many macro- and microelements.
- What is a prune and what does it look like
- Composition and calories
- What is useful for prunes
- For women
- For men
- In pregnancy
- For children
- Can I eat prunes while losing weight?
- Prunes in medicine
- Diabetes mellitus
- For pancreatitis
- For gastritis
- For the bowel
- With constipation
- For gout
- For the liver
- For hemorrhoids
- Pri cholecystitis
- Prune-based folk medicine recipes
- Drink with prunes and caraway for immunity
- Remedy for Blisters
- Remedy for bowel cleansing
- Prunes in cosmetology
- Mask for very sensitive skin
- Nourishing Mask
- Mask against skin rashes
- For normal or parched skin
- Cheese Cheese Mask
- Oily Skin Mask
- Hazards and Contraindications
- How to choose and store prunes
- How to make prunes at home
- What can be cooked from prunes: Recipes
- How to cook prune compote
- How to eat prunes
- Can I eat on an empty stomach and at night
- How much can I eat per day?
- Do I wash them before eating?
- Interesting facts about prunes
What is a prune and what does it look like?
Despite the great popularity of this product, not everyone knows that it is made from ordinary black plums. In this case, the most commonly used varieties are:
Only ripe fruits are used for making prunes. Plums are carefully selected, removing spoiled and unripe, cleaned and dried. It is allowed to use fruit with a pit and without it.
Prunes of high quality are colored in a deep black color and have a light, characteristic of this product gloss. This type of dried fruit differs in size from the fruit from which it is made. After drying, the plum decreases in size and volume. The surface of the plum becomes wrinkled, but retains its smoothness.
Composition and calories
The composition of prunes includes many components that are necessary for the normal functioning of the human body. These dried fruits contain:
- Pantothenic, folic and ascorbic acids.
Due to such a rich composition, prunes are considered one of the most useful products, which will not only help to saturate the body with missing vitamins, but also help in the treatment of serious diseases. In addition, 100 grams of prunes contain only 239 calories. This allows you to include it in the daily menu, even those people who adhere to a diet to lose weight.
What are the benefits of prunes
The useful properties of prunes have been confirmed by many studies. Experts say that these dried fruits can have a beneficial effect on the work of many internal organs, including the kidneys and liver.
The rich composition of prunes provides its positive effect on the cardiovascular system, helps to increase immunity and prevents premature aging of the whole body. In addition, regular consumption of these dried fruits can improve the condition of the skin all over the body, prevent the development of tooth decay and increase performance.
According to many therapists, prunes are an indispensable product for the normal functioning of the female body. He will help to cope with many problems:
- depressive states;
- increased irritability;
In addition, regular consumption of these dried fruits will help every woman:
- Maintain an attractive appearance at any age. The rich composition of prunes slows the aging of the skin, returning it elasticity, elasticity and smoothness.
- Get rid of extra pounds. Prunes contain a lot of antioxidants and organic acids, which contribute to weight loss.
- Prevent the development of cancer. Regular consumption of small amounts of prunes is one of the most effective, natural ways to prevent the development of cancer.
These dried fruits are no less useful for the male body. The systematic use of prunes can prevent the development of pathological processes that have a negative impact on potency. In addition, a man whose daily menu includes prunes, is much less likely to face such problems as:
- decline of strength;
- Low levels of testosterone in the body;
- diseases of the genitourinary system.
During pregnancy, experts not only do not forbid, but also strongly recommend including prunes in the daily diet. These dried fruits help pregnant women to cope with many problems, including:
- severe toxicosis;
- frequent constipation;
- swollen limbs;
- low immunity;
- vitamin deficiency;
- Low hemoglobin levels in the blood.
But the postpartum period implies a temporary or complete refusal to use prunes, provided that the newborn baby is breastfed. Pediatricians allow young mothers to start introducing dried fruit into their diet only after the baby is two months old. At the same time, all restrictions should be observed and the condition of the child should be monitored.
In the case of allergic or other adverse reactions in the baby should immediately seek advice from your local pediatrician and completely abandon the use of dried fruit.
About the benefits of prunes for children say many pediatricians. He is able to have a beneficial effect on the growing body of the baby, contributing:
- the rapid removal of toxins;
- Lowering blood cholesterol levels;
- normalization of blood circulation;
- Acceleration of metabolism;
- proper development;
- active growth;
- Improved immunity.
Is it possible to eat prunes while losing weight?
Women who seek to lose a few extra pounds are interested in the question - is it possible to eat these dried fruits during a diet. Experienced nutritionists argue that you should not completely exclude them from the daily diet. However, you will have to limit their consumption.
The rich composition of prunes can have a beneficial effect on the body of a woman who is on a diet. It will help:
- Saturate the body with all the necessary vitamins, micro- and macronutrients.
- Remove excess fat, which is possible thanks to the large amount of fiber contained in the dried fruit.
- Prevent the development of pathological processes in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Prevent the accumulation of harmful cholesterol, which is important when trying to reduce weight.
- Prevent a sharp increase in blood sugar levels.
- To remove all the accumulated toxins and toxins.
Given all the features of the impact of prunes on the human body, you do not have to refuse to use them during the diet. It will not cause weight gain with reasonable use, and will even help to reduce it.
Prunes in medicine
Prunes are one of the few products that can enhance the effect of medicines and contribute to a full recovery in the treatment of many diseases. Therapists advise to regularly consume these dried fruits for people who suffer from:
- From some diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- frequent stresses;
- constant fatigue and low performance;
- persistent high blood pressure;
- Some diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
In addition, dried fruits are used in the treatment and prevention of avitaminosis, gout, kidney and liver pathologies.
Therapists do not prohibit the use of prunes and patients who suffer from diabetes. However, the acceptable daily rate can be calculated only by the attending physician, who is familiar with the peculiarities of the course of the disease, associated pathologies and the general condition of the person.
In the right amount of prunes can have a positive effect on the body of a diabetic, prevent a sharp rise in blood sugar levels, saturate the necessary amount of nutrients, stop the development of many dangerous diseases and improve the immune system.
Important: The glycemic index of prunes is 40 units.
Patients who suffer from pancreatitis, gastroenterologists do not recommend introducing prunes into the daily menu without prior consultation with the doctor. Not all patients are allowed to consume it and only in limited quantities.
Specialists say that in some cases these dried fruits can help to cope with unpleasant symptoms of the disease, eliminate inflammatory processes and even remove all accumulated toxins from the body. At the same time, other patients may experience a deterioration of the general condition.
During the acute course of the disease or exacerbation of its chronic form prunes, as well as all other dried fruits, should be completely excluded from the daily diet. Otherwise, this product will cause irritation of mucous membranes, increased symptoms and deterioration of the general condition.
However, gastroenterologists do not recommend their patients to completely abandon the use of this useful product. Specialists recommend starting to introduce it into the main menu after a full recovery and restoration of all functions of the gastrointestinal tract. Prunes will help to recover from the disease and strengthen the body.
For the intestines
Prunes are considered an indispensable product for intestinal problems. Regular use of these dried fruits will help to solve the problem of constipation once and for all. In addition, prunes are used to cleanse the intestines when the body suffers from a lack of fresh fruit.
Many therapists advise prunes to those patients who suffer from constipation. Regular use of this dried fruit will help to completely get rid of this problem. In this case, it is allowed to use it even for pregnant women and children who have reached the age of six months.
In case of gout
During the exacerbation of such a disease as gout, experts advise their patients to exclude prunes from the daily diet. Its use is allowed only after the normalization of the condition, the complete elimination of symptoms and the onset of a strict remission. During this period, prunes will help a person to saturate the body with useful substances, vitamins, micro- and macronutrients, which will help to recover from the exacerbation of this serious disease.
For the liver
These dried fruits will become an indispensable product and in those situations when it is necessary to restore the work of the liver. Prunes will help to cleanse this vital organ from accumulated toxins and dangerous microorganisms, reduce the overall burden and improve the well-being of the person.
Thanks to the nitrogenous, tannin and pectin components that are in the composition of prunes, it helps not only to prevent the appearance of hemorrhoids, but also to cure it.
The diet in the development of acute or exacerbation of chronic cholecystitis involves a complete rejection of many products. These include prunes.
Prune-based folk medicine recipes
There are many folk recipes, which include prunes. However, the most popular of them are considered to be the following:
Drink with prunes and cagorne to improve immunity
This remedy guarantees a rush of strength and energy in the morning, will help to cope with anxiety.
For its preparation you will need:
- 250 g of prunes.
- 0.5 liters of quality cahogor.
- 5 pieces of black pepper.
- 1 leaf laurel.
- A little cloves.
To prepare this drink, you need to put the cahor and prunes in a small pot, cover it with a transparent lid and heat on low heat until drops appear on the lid. After that, take the pot off the fire, add to it pepper, laurel, cloves and let it cool down. Drink the drink in the morning after a meal on 2-3 tbsp.
Remedy for calluses
Cure calluses will help a compress made of prunes. For its preparation, you will need only a few ingredients that can be found in every kitchen:
- A small amount of milk.
Pitted prunes should be boiled in a little milk and applied to blisters.
Means for cleansing the intestines
Clean the intestines will help folk remedy from prunes, buckthorn and rosehips.
To prepare it you will need:
- 2 liters of purified water.
- 50 g of the cranberries bark.
- 300 g of quality fresh prunes.
- 250 ml of rosehip syrup.
Bark and prunes should be boiled for 25 minutes, closing the pot with a lid. At the end of this time you need to add rosehip syrup and leave on the fire for another 5-10 minutes. The product should insist for 6 hours, then strain.
Take a remedy for 12 days at the same time and half a cup.
Prunes in cosmetology.
Due to its unique composition, prunes are often used for the preparation of home cosmetics. This product can restore hair health and shine, cleanse and narrow pores on the face, improve the appearance and condition of the skin and even stop the development of inflammatory processes on the skin.
There are many recipes to help maintain youth and beauty that include prunes, but the following are hugely popular:
Mask for excessively sensitive skin
To prepare this mask, you need to mix 1 chopped prunes with 1 teaspoon of flour and 0.5 teaspoons of honey. The resulting mixture should be applied to clean skin, soak for 20 minutes and wash off with warm water.
10 g of prune puree, 20 g of yoghurt and 10 g of bran should be thoroughly mixed then apply on the face and keep for not more than 15 minutes. The mask should be rinsed with running cool water.
Mask against skin rashes
Mix 4 crushed prunes with 20 grams of starch. The resulting mixture should be applied to the problem areas of the skin and keep for no more than 25 minutes. It is recommended to wash off the mask with cool water.
For normal or dry skin
10 g of crushed prunes should be mixed with the same amount of butter, 5 g of honey and 1 chicken egg yolk. Thoroughly mixed mixture should be applied to the face, hold for 30 minutes and wash off.
Cottage cheese mask
This remedy is suitable for owners of normal skin. For its preparation it is necessary to mix chopped prunes and cottage cheese in equal parts. The resulting mixture should stand on the skin for 20-30 minutes, then rinse with running water.
Mask for oily skin
It is necessary to mix 1 part of chopped prunes with 1 part of whipped egg white, apply the mixture on the skin and wash off in 15-20 minutes. It is better to use water of comfortable temperature for washing and refuse to use cream after this procedure.
Experienced beauticians strongly recommend checking each natural care product for allergic reactions. In the case of redness, rash, itching, swelling, burning or other unpleasant symptoms should refuse to use this or that mask, start taking antihistamines and seek advice from an allergist.
Harms and contraindications
Despite the many useful properties, this product can harm the body, but only if you consume it incorrectly and ignore the contraindications:
- Experts advise to limit the use of prunes to patients who suffer from severe obesity and diabetes. In these cases, excessive consumption of these dried fruits can lead to undesirable consequences and will bring the human body more harm than good.
- In addition, physicians advise against eating prunes during lactation, as well as not to give these dried fruits to children who have not reached the age of six months.
Can there be an allergy to prunes
An allergic reaction can be caused by absolutely any product. However, prunes are not considered dangerous, so negative reactions from the body occur very rarely.
In the case of these dried fruits allergy can manifest itself in the form of a rash, redness, itching, and in some cases - severe swelling and fever. The manifestation of the first symptoms of allergy to prunes implies a complete refusal to eat this product, taking antihistamines and consulting a specialist.
How to choose and store prunes
Buying high-quality prunes can be a difficult task, especially for someone who buys these dried fruits for the first time. When choosing this product, it is necessary to follow a few simple rules:
- Taste it. It is better to refuse to buy prunes in supermarkets and stores. Only at the market you can taste it and make sure that it has no bitterness. Quality prunes should be sour-sweet.
- Pay attention to the color of dried fruit. High quality prunes should be colored black. Another shade of this product suggests that you should not buy it.
- Give preference to prunes with a bone. This ensures the presence of all the nutrients that are contained in the plum.
Having bought a high quality prune, you should also take care of its proper storage. To preserve all the nutrients and prevent spoilage of the product, these dried fruits should be stored in a clean, airtight container (can be in a box). In this case, the package with prunes should be placed in a cool, dry place without access to sunlight.
How to make prunes at home
To make prunes at home you will need a lot of free time, patience and, of course, plums of the right variety. Making these dried fruits begins with the preparation of fruits:
- The plum fruit should be sorted, thoroughly rinsed and separated from the pips.
- The peeled plum needs to be blanched in purified water with the addition of a small amount of soda. Blanch the fruit for 30 seconds.
- Rinsing is the next step in the preparation of prunes. Rinse the fruit thoroughly under warm running water, washing off any remaining soda.
- Cool the plums and dry them.
The most popular way of drying plums at home is considered to be drying in the oven. It consists of 3 stages and takes not less than 6 hours:
- The first stage involves drying the fruit for 3 hours. In this case, the temperature in the oven should be stable and equal to 55 degrees Celsius. After the specified time, each plum should be turned to the other side and left until it cools down completely.
- During the second stage, the plums should dry for another 3 hours at 70 degrees Celsius.
- After complete cooling, you can proceed to the final stage of drying, which takes 30 minutes. At the same time, the temperature in the oven should be increased to 100 degrees Celsius.
What can be cooked from prunes: recipes
Due to its useful properties, prunes are one of the most popular products and are used to prepare a variety of dishes.
One of the most popular appetizers is a salad of prunes and beets. To prepare it you will need:
- Green onions.
- Olive oil.
- Lemon juice.
150 grams of prunes should be poured into clean warm water and leave for 30 minutes. During this time you should finely chop or grate 300 grams of boiled beets, add 10 pieces of chopped walnuts, 1 garlic clove and chopped prunes. Dress the salad with lemon juice, olive oil, spices and salt.
Prunes are also used for the preparation of first dishes. Extraordinarily delicious fish soup with prunes turns out. For its preparation you will need:
- Fish fillet.
- Green peas.
Boil 0.5 kg fish broth, add 150 g chopped prunes and potatoes, 100 g carrots and herbs. Boil the fish soup for another 10 minutes, salt, garnish with parsley and serve.
Prunes are also used for meat dishes and pastries. Drinks made from these dried fruits are no less popular.
How to make a compote from prunes
One of the most useful drinks that can be prepared at home, is deservedly considered a compote from prunes with the addition of raisins and apricots.
For its preparation you will need:
- 100 g of quality prunes.
- 50 g of apricots.
- 50 g raisins.
- 50-70 grams of sugar.
- 3.5 cups of purified water.
Rinse prunes put in an enamel bowl, add sugar, pour preheated water and boil for no more than 15 minutes. After the specified time, add the rest of the dried fruits, boil for another 5-10 minutes and let cool. Cooled compote should be strained, pour into a glass jar or carafe and store in the refrigerator.
How to eat prunes
In order for prunes to manifest all their useful properties, you need to eat them correctly. Consuming 5 pieces of prunes every day, a person can get rid of such problems as:
- disorders in the gastrointestinal tract;
- excess weight;
- disorders of the cardiovascular system;
- kidney dysfunction;
- visual impairment;
- premature aging;
- decreased immunity;
- nervous system disorders;
Can I eat them on an empty stomach and at night?
Experts say that it is possible to eat these dried fruits at any time of the day. However, it is necessary to take into account the purpose for which they are consumed. If a person has a problem with constipation, prunes eaten on an empty stomach will help to cope with it. And for those people who want to get rid of a few extra pounds, nutritionists recommend consuming these dried fruits instead of dinner. The main thing is not to eat prunes before going to bed.
How much can be eaten per day.
Doctors say that the daily rate of prunes for an adult is 100 g - about 8-12 pcs. This amount should be divided into three portions and eaten throughout the day with breaks. However, you should not forget that each person's body has its own characteristics and may react differently to the substances that are contained in these dried fruits. Therefore, it is recommended to start introducing it into the daily diet with one portion, gradually increasing its amount.
Do I need to wash before use
Prunes should be thoroughly washed before use. This should be done in several stages:
- The purchased prunes should be placed in a container, pour boiling water and leave for 15-20 minutes.
- After this time, the water should be drained, and dried fruits should be thoroughly washed under running water.
Doctors say that even the prunes that were prepared at home should be washed. This will prevent the penetration of harmful bacteria into the human body.
Interesting facts about prunes
Many people know about the amazing properties of prunes to have a beneficial effect on the human body, but not everyone knows that:
- Prunes prevent the occurrence of tooth decay and oral diseases. This fact has been confirmed by scientists.
- Until the 6th century B.C. people did not know not only about the existence of prunes, but also about the plums from which they are made. It was during this period that people began to grow varieties suitable for the preparation of these dried fruits.
- During tsarist Russia, prunes were available only to the tsars, their nobles, and military leaders. Representatives of other strata of the population did not eat this dried fruit.
- There are two legends about how prunes appeared in Europe. One of them says that the plum trees were brought by Alexander the Great as a valuable trophy. The other legend says that plum trees were brought to Rome by Gnaeus the Great and spread around the world from there.
- Also interesting is the fact that to date it is unknown who first decided to dry the plum fruit and invented prunes.
Prunes are one of the most useful delicacies, and their regular consumption will help everyone to get rid of many health problems. The main thing is to follow the recommendations of specialists, not to exceed the daily rate and not to ignore contraindications.
«Important: All information on the site is provided solely for educational purposes purposes. Consult with your health care professional before applying any recommendations. professional before using them. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."