The fruit of the Sweetie: useful properties and contraindications
Although the biography of the swede has only a few decades, this unusual fruit has already managed to acquire a whole army of fans. True, for domestic consumers, this product of selection is still unusual, but many are already looking at it with interest, having seen the green giant on store shelves.
- What is a swede
- What it looks like
- Where it grows
- How it differs from pomelo and grapefruit
- What's healthier: Switi or pomelo?
- Composition and calories
- Useful properties of the fruit
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- In Pregnancy
- For children
- For weight loss
- Diabetes mellitus
- Harm and Contraindications
- How to choose and store
- How to peel a sweet
- How to Eat a Sweets Fruit
- How much can I eat per day?
- Can I Eat It Overnight?
- What to make with the swizzle: Recipes
- Original appetizer
- Light summer salad
- Fat Burning Cocktail
- Energy Drink
- Candied Custard
- Juicy Salad
- Interesting Facts
Indeed, the size of this representative of citrus crops is striking: the size of one fruit is equal to two large apples. But not only by its parameters this miracle of breeding is striking. The exotic fruit has a rich composition, so it is useful for human health. But since the switi is not familiar to the general public, it's time to introduce it.
What is a switi
The description of the outlandish fruit should begin with its name. In Russian, sweetie means "sweet". Indeed, the main characteristic feature of sweetie is its sweetish pleasant taste. But this is not the only name of the fruit. Often the fruit is called "pomelite" for its resemblance to its relative, the pomelo. American farmers refer to it by its Spanish name, oroblanco, which literally translates as "white gold.
Either name, however, does not change the unique composition and healthful properties of the tropical fruit, which was born thanks to the efforts of Israeli scientists. Breeders have decided to cross grapefruit and pomelo, and as a result received a hybrid, which combines all the best qualities of the "parents". The exact date of the experiment is unknown, but it is a well-known fact that Israeli scientists applied for a patent at the University of California in 1984.
However, the Americans decided to use the novelty for their own commercial purposes. They began to study the Israeli product in their own laboratories. Then, very quickly, enterprising farmers took over the initiative and began to grow the Israeli hybrid. All these events were reflected in the fate of oroblanco, and many citrus fruit lovers still believe that the homeland of the unusual fruit is America, not Israel.
What it looks like
Since the amazing fruit came from the crossing of two related crops, the switi has inherited the best characteristics from them.
- Height and appearance. The hybrid is an evergreen spreading tree, 4 to 10 meters tall. In large plantations, where the culture is grown in industrial volumes, the plant looks more like a shrub, as its height averages 2.5 m. But the low growth of oroblanco has its advantages: it is easier to harvest from such bushes. The hybrid's leaves are oblong in shape and have a deep, dark green hue. The leaves of young fruiting branches are bright green, and become darker with age.
- Flowers. During flowering, the tree is covered with fairly large (up to 5 cm in diameter) flowers, exuding a subtle fragrance. Inflorescences can be single or form bunches.
- Fruits. When flowering ends, large thick-skinned fruits of uniform green color appear on the branches. They are very dense, so even medium-sized specimens have an impressive mass. Although the fruits ripen early, they are removed from the tree at the end of October. And the harvest can continue until April of the following year, and all this time the weighty fruits decorate the branches, impressing with their fresh attractive appearance.
Good to know! Sweetie is also different from other citrus fruits in that it is never left to ripen.
Where to grow
Although, historically speaking, the switi is a recent addition to the citrus family, the crop has already managed to take root well in the tropics and regions with warm, stable climates. Today the hybrid is eagerly cultivated by European and American farmers, and there are also oroblanco plantations in southern China and Japan. Solid harvests of fruit are gathered in Israel and India.
Enterprising Russian gardeners and enthusiastic gardeners of the CIS countries also try to grow the overseas plant. And it must be given credit that they succeed, although it is not a question of getting a large crop. But even a few exotic fruits, grown by their own efforts, please homegrown breeders.
How it differs from pomelo and grapefruit
Since the switi is a direct descendant of the white grapefruit and the pomelo, its main characteristics are much the same as those of these two citrus representatives. As a product of selection, oroblanco is superior to its parents in some respects.
- Taste. For example, the hybrid has a more pleasant taste, lacking the bitterness of grapefruit and the freshness of the pomelo. In addition, the switi is much juicier and sweeter, and there are fewer pips in the flesh of the fruit.
- Flavor. The advantage can be considered the enhanced citrus aroma of the hybrid, which is actively used in the cosmetology industry.
- The composition of artificially bred fruit also varies in the content of some components, but in general practically does not differ from the set of substances, which are in the related fruits.
- Caloric value. According to this parameter, the hybrid differs from the original fruit. The caloric value of a hundred-gram serving of fresh oroblanco pulp is 55 units, the energy value of grapefruit is 35 kcal, and the pomelo has 38 units.
- Color. If this can be considered a difference, it is worth paying attention to the fact that the flesh of the swede is a light green shade, as is its dense rind. And the opponents have more pink, red, and yellow hues in their color scheme, which is characteristic of all citrus crops. Although there are pomelo fruits whose flesh is light green in color.
From this information, one can conclude that there are differences, but they are not significant. All three representatives of the citrus family have a lot of useful properties, so they should definitely be included in the daily diet.
What is more useful: swede or pomelo
There is no definite answer to this question, because all citrus fruits are endowed with approximately the same set of properties. But since the hybrid has incorporated all the best from its progenitors, it is superior to them in several ways:
- For example, the antioxidant activity of swede is much higher than that of the related fruit. The components of the fruit perfectly cope with toxins and free radicals, which inhibits the aging process at the cellular level.
- In addition, the hybrid has a pronounced tonic effect, and freshly squeezed juice of the fruit is not only able to invigorate and restore strength, the drink stabilizes the function of the liver and gallbladder.
- In addition, oroblanco contains more enzymes than pomelo that can break down fats. Although pomelo also has these abilities, but given the more palatable taste of the fruit of the selection, nutritionists recommend that it be included in the nutritional diet of sick and thin people.
- Another unique property that the swede's congeners cannot boast is the ability to resist stress. Many experts have identified the wonderful fruit in the group of natural remedies for depression.
- Recent studies have shown that the golden fruit, in addition to all of the above effects, is also a good anti-carcinogenic agent.
- To this list of benefits should be added a large percentage of essential oils. Especially a lot of these useful components in the rind of the fruit. Even with a short contact with the fruit on the hands remain difficult to wash off traces of fat.
The listed advantages are enough to determine which representative of the citrus family is the most useful for human health. Of course, this switi is the best example of modern breeding.
Composition and calories
The chemical composition of the citrus hybrid is a well-balanced formula of a huge number of useful substances. In total, this set includes several dozen components that the human body needs. Therefore, let us list the main active substances that provide a set of beneficial actions. In this list:
- Ascorbic acid or vitamin C. This active ingredient accounts for most of the composition of the exotic fruit. Therefore, switi demonstrates powerful antioxidant abilities, rejuvenating body tissues, strengthening the immune resource, replenishing energy reserves.
- The group of B vitamins is also represented in the product almost completely. It is known that these vitamins are involved in important processes of organs and systems, but most importantly, they have a beneficial effect on the nervous system.
- Vitamin A, scientifically known as retinol. It is a fat-soluble compound that regulates the synthesis of important proteins. It improves the condition of the skin, nails and hair and is also involved in the formation of the bone skeleton and teeth.
- Vitamin E (tocopherol) is the main "fighter" against age-related changes. Tocopherol is an excellent antioxidant and immunomodulator; almost no biochemical process takes place in the body without its participation.
- Mineral elements: phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sodium, silicon, copper. This group of substances is responsible for maintaining the functions of all organs and systems. For example, potassium and magnesium ensure the normal contractility of the heart muscle and monitor the level of the body's energy reserves. It has been proven that eating just one switi fruit a day will reduce a person's risk of developing a stroke or heart attack.
- Essential oils are concentrated mainly in the rind of the fruit. These components are very valuable in the cosmetics industry, they are added to perfumes and skin care products. And aromatherapy with the oil of the golden fruit will alleviate respiratory diseases.
- Phytoturients are special substances that are also found in the oroblanco peel. They reduce the risk of cancer.
- Natural enzymes. The unique abilities of these substances have already been mentioned above. But compared to other substances that destroy fatty tissue, these components work very quickly and productively. It is because of this property that switi is so highly valued by nutritionists.
- It is also worth noting the presence of bioflavonoids in large quantities. These substances also counteract the aging process.
- Switi fruit is rich in fiber, which makes it useful for digestion. There are proteins and carbohydrates of natural origin in its composition.
The energy value of the tropical fruit is in the range of 50-60 kcal, which is considered excellent for inclusion in the diet of people suffering from obesity. But also those who do not have serious problems in this matter, but just want to improve the shape of their bodies, can also supplement the menu with light dishes involving this low-calorie product.
Useful properties of the swede fruit
To date, the switi is quite well-studied. Back at the beginning of this century, famous researcher Shelagh Horinstein conducted clinical tests involving 72 patients with elevated levels of harmful cholesterol. All the volunteers were divided into three groups. For a whole month, the first group was given 100 ml of fresh fruit juice daily, while the second group received 200 ml. The third group received no juice at all. The results of the experiment showed that the patients who received the largest amount of juice reduced the content of proteins in the blood, which are involved in the formation of blood clots. Therefore, the juice of the tropical fruit is quite suitable as a preventive measure for the prevention of various cardiovascular pathologies.
Other useful properties of oroblanco include:
- wound healing;
With the help of the useful fruit you can reduce cholesterol levels and normalize the water balance. In the absence of contraindications, it must be consumed by people who are prone to stress and depression. It is also a good choice for smokers and people who drink too much hard liquor. The low glycemic index of the product allows it to be included in the diet of people suffering from diabetes.
Note: it is proved that small portions of the golden fruit in the daily menu will be an excellent stimulant for mental activity. Therefore, schoolchildren and people engaged in intellectual activities should definitely pay attention to the citrus hybrid.
And now let's dwell on what can be useful overseas fruit for certain groups of people.
For the female audience, the swede is of interest because of its unique rejuvenating abilities. Therefore, it is worth adding oroblanco essential oil or fresh juice to home beauty products to maintain youthful freshness and beauty. In addition, during hormonal restructuring, the fruit will be useful because of its high content of vitamin and mineral supplements. If you include light snacks with slices of juicy fruit in your daily diet, you can remove fat deposits and lose excess weight.
Good to know! The oil from the peel of the fruit is an excellent remedy against cellulite and stress. And a bath with the peel of switi will instantly relieve fatigue and energize you.
The golden fruit can serve for the benefit of men's health:
- First of all, the hybrid's ability to rid the body of toxic products deserves attention, which is important for people involved in sports disciplines.
- If you include small portions of the fresh fruit in your diet, it will provide a good "drying" of the body, because the switi is excellent at removing excess fluid from the body.
- The anti-cancer property will help to prevent the development of cancer, and if a man begins to drink half a glass of fresh pomelita juice every day, such a diet will benefit the heart and clear the blood vessels of cholesterol. It has long been proved that men are more susceptible to cardiovascular disease than women.
- Vitamin complex and mineral supplements will increase the reproductive ability of the male body.
- It is also worth adding that the representatives of the stronger sex are more prone to bad habits. Therefore, to reduce the negative effects of alcohol and nicotine, you should definitely eat a few slices of citrus fruit regularly.
Such serious bonuses oroblanco can give men.
Future mothers with the permission of a doctor can also diversify the strict during pregnancy menu with a few slices of the sweet fruit. But this addition to the diet can be included, if there is no tendency to allergies. The hybrid is especially useful for those women whose pregnancy is complicated by edema. In this case, switi can be a good prophylactic against eclampsia - the most severe complication of pregnancy, when the blood pressure rises sharply.
In addition to this property, the fruit helps pregnant women overcome the troubles associated with toxemia. Also, the fetus saturates the mother's blood with oxygen, which prevents the development of anemia. But in the last trimester it is better to refuse from fruit delicacy, because its components thin the blood, which can cause bleeding.
Important moment! If a woman before pregnancy has not tried an exotic fruit, then you should not experiment at such an important stage of life.
Since a newborn baby receives with mother's milk everything he needs for growth and development, and sweets can cause severe allergies, you should not eat the fruit while breastfeeding. Only after the baby is six months old, you can half a slice twice a week to eat the fruit.
Of course, at infant age, because of the risk of allergies, you can not give a citrus hybrid to a child. However, at an early age, any citrus fruit is forbidden. But after a year to strengthen the immune system has not yet been formed, you can cautiously introduce a child's diet fresh juice and fruit puree from the swede. Up to three years the maximum single portion is 50 g, in the period from 3 to 5 years, the dosage can already be increased to 100 g, and after 6 years is allowed to give a treat of 200 g, but no more than three times a week.
Interesting! As cases of childhood obesity are reported in Russia and around the world, you can use oroblanco to organize a proper diet for a child with a weight problem.
For weight loss
Nutritionists praise the property of pomelita to burn fat, and the low calorie and excellent taste will turn the weight loss process into a pleasant event. The hybrid is especially attractive because of its sweet taste. This means that a person who is losing weight can compensate the body's need for carbohydrates at the expense of this wonderful fruit. For those who prefer strict diets, switi will also be useful as a natural source of vitamin and mineral supplements.
It is best to eat the fruit at breakfast, but you can enjoy it in the evening by combining it with protein-rich foods. Such a nutritious diet combined with moderate exercise will allow you to lose 5-7 kilograms per week without damage to your health.
In case of diabetes
The sweet hybrid fruit is allowed to be consumed by patients even if they have insulin-dependent diabetes. The reason for this favorable attitude of nutritionists to sweets is that it contains natural mono- and disaccharides, which do not provoke spikes in blood sugar levels. Therefore, the fruits of white gold diabetics can eat at least every day. Such a diet will reduce the dose of insulin.
Important: The glycemic index of switi is 20-35 units.
As you can see, oroblanco fruit is generally useful for health. Just one fruit will be able to replenish the daily requirement of the body in ascorbic acid. Its presence in the diet during the period of increased incidence of flu and respiratory infections will help to resist the attacks of viruses. And if a cold cannot be avoided, adding the fruit crusts and pulp to the tea will alleviate the condition and help a sore throat.
Note! As the swill promotes the active removal of toxic products from the body, it must be necessarily consumed by persons employed in harmful industries, as well as those who live in regions with adverse environmental conditions.
Harm and contraindications
Along with a mass of useful properties, even the golden fruit has qualities that make it impossible to use. The absolute contraindication is the presence of the following pathologies in a person:
- Allergy to all types of citrus fruits;
- Ulcer disease;
- gastritis with high acidity;
- Nephritis in any form;
Also, extreme caution should be exercised at the first experience of eating the exotic fruit, especially when it comes to children. It is necessary to refuse a treat for those who take diuretics and anticoagulants. The ban also applies to dietary supplements, which have a high content of vitamin C.
But even in the absence of obvious contraindications, it is worth observing moderation with regard to the golden fruit.
How to choose and store
Before you enjoy the taste of the tropical fruit, you need to remember the rules of choosing a quality product:
- It is better to choose heavy fruits, as weighty specimens have more flesh, but less peel.
- A good quality fruit has a bright green color, there are no suspicious spots on it.
- The smell of the citrus should be bright and intense.
- It is also worth paying attention to the shine of the peel. If such an effect is present, then the fruit is treated with a composition with wax. Therefore, it should be carefully washed before use.
These simple tips will help not to make a mistake when choosing.
How to peel a switi
As already mentioned, before removing the skin from the fruit, it must be thoroughly rinsed under running water. The next steps are as follows:
- Dry the fruit with paper towels or a towel.
- Make several vertical cuts with a sharp knife.
- Carefully remove the skin and the white bitter layer. The sweet pulp is protected by a rather dense film, which should also be separated.
Further actions depend on the purpose for which the fruit will be used. The fact is that the swede peels with difficulty, like an overripe tangerine.
The easiest way to peel it is to cut the fruit into two halves, and then use a spoon to squeeze out the juice.
In the case of preparing a fruit salad or other dishes in which you can not do without the participation of the swede, you need to make four cuts, and then gently release the pulp from the skin.
How to eat the pomelo fruit?
It is better to enjoy the fresh fruit oroblanco. However, in this case you will have to remove the skin of each slice, because the thin dense film has a pronounced bitter taste. Only the pulp and the juice derived from it are of gastronomic value. If you want to diversify your daily menu, you can add swirls to salads, stews, mushroom and fish dishes. The fragrant zest makes a wonderful addition to desserts and baked goods. From the crusts of the fruit you can prepare delicious candied fruits, based on the juice to cook jam.
How much you can eat per day
For a healthy person, it is enough to eat one medium-sized oroblanko fruit every day. The permissible rate for pregnant women - 1/3 of the fruit, and on later terms it is better to be limited to 2-3 slices. Slimming persons in good health can eat two small fruits to improve the result.
Important nuance! Exceeding the dosage of sweets can lead to severe intoxication, resembling the clinic of poisoning.
Can I eat at night
You can eat the fruit of oroblanco at any time. But usually the fruit is added to breakfast or eaten before going to bed. Given the soothing properties of the product's composition, it is even useful to eat it at night, because during sleep, when the body is resting, the components of the composition activate their action. Especially in full measure, this is manifested in the process of burning fat deposits.
What can be cooked from sweets: recipes
In general, switi is a godsend for any cook, as a lot of exclusive desserts and main dishes can be prepared from it. The fruit perfectly harmonizes with seafood, combines with rice and ricotta. It is an excellent addition to the meat. Here are some interesting recipes for practical use in the home kitchen.
This dish can be made for dinner or taken to work for a snack. It is prepared quickly and without unnecessary intricacies.
- switi - 2 slices;
- kiwi and apple - ¼ each;
- walnuts - 1 tsp;
- orange slices - 2 pcs;
- Adygean cheese - slice;
- lemon juice - a few drops;
- cranberries, grated with sugar (can be replaced with raspberries) - a little;
- cornflakes (unsweetened) - 1 tbsp.
- Peel the fruit from the skin and pips. Randomly chop them.
- Chop the nuts.
- Now combine all the fruit parts, add cheese, diced.
- Sprinkle the half-cooked dish with cereal, and pour the berry topping on top.
This dish is perfect for a diet of thinners.
Easy Summer Salad.
Also a simple recipe for a healthy dish that can be included in anyone's diet. Initial ingredients:
- brynza (you can take feta cheese) - 50 g;
- tomato - 1 pc;
- sweet bell pepper - 1 pc;
- swede pulp - 1 fruit;
- Olive oil - 2 tablespoons;
- basil - 1 twig.
How to cook:
- Dice peppers and tomato.
- Peel the flesh of the fruit from the membranes.
- Combine all the components in a salad bowl, add brynza, basil.
- Dress the salad with butter.
Fat burning cocktail
It is necessary to squeeze the juice of half a cucumber and half a swede fruit. Combine the liquid parts, add 1 tsp. honey and 50 g. spinach. Such a cocktail should be drunk at night, and the first result will be noticeable in a few days.
This smoothie is also useful for people with excess body weight, as it dulls the feeling of hunger. The fresh juice of half a golden fruit should be diluted with a glass of water (you can take mineral water), then add honey to taste. Drink slowly, taking small sips.
Sugar candied fruits
Such a treat will delight children and adults will love it. Although the procedure is a little complicated, but it is worth taking the time to prepare such an unusual sweet treat.
Sequence of steps:
- Remove the peel and spongy layer from three switi fruits.
- Cut into small cubes.
- Pour the billet with plain water for 2-3 days. Change the water several times a day.
- When this procedure is done in its entirety, take up the preparation of the syrup. To do this, take equal amounts of water and sugar, pour the sweet solution over the soaked peels.
- In this state, let the future candied fruits stand for 3 hours.
- Then put the container on low heat.
- Boil the candied fruits for no more than 5 minutes, then remove the pot from the fire.
- Allow the composition to cool completely, and then subject it to the heat treatment again.
- Repeat this procedure three times. Ready candied fruits to determine in a jar, and then send it to the refrigerator for storage.
This is also an example of a good breakfast dish.
It is easy and pleasant to cook it, because the fruit flavor combined with the pungent onion smell awakens a healthy appetite. So, for a vitamin salad you will need:
- onion - ½;
- switi - pulp of 2 fruits;
- avocado - 1 pc;
- lettuce - 1 leaf;
- pine nuts (fried) - 50 g;
- lime juice - 5 ml;
- honey - 15 ml
- nutmeg - a little bit.
- Cut onion into rings, avocado and switi into cubes.
- Combine onion and fruit slices, place mixture on lettuce sheet.
- Sprinkle the nuts on top of the salad.
- For the dressing, mix honey with lime juice and nutmeg.
- Ready sauce pour the dish.
- Perfumers greatly appreciate the natural citrus aroma of the hybrid. They add the oil to light perfumes for young girls.
- Although the oroblanco peel creates problems when removed, it should not be thrown away as waste. The peels can be dried and then added to regular tea. Such a drink will cheer you up better than coffee in the morning.
- Sweet cherry peel can also be useful in the home. It repels moths and other insects.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only. for informational purposes only. Before applying any recommendations, consult a health care professional. specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."