Eggnog: useful properties and recipes for cooking
Eggnog Gogol is a favorite treat for many, which can bring great benefits to the human body, if used correctly. This product can be prepared according to the classic recipe or supplemented with various additives that will only increase the nutritional value and strengthen the effect of the main components.
- What is eggnog
- History of origin
- Composition and calories
- What is useful for eggnog
- For Women
- For Men
- For Pregnancy
- For children
- When losing weight
- Harm and Contraindications
- How to make eggnog: Recipes
- From the cough
- Sport Cocktail
- For a Hangover
- Eggnog Giant
- Interesting Facts
What is eggnog
Eggnog is a classic dessert cocktail that is made from fresh, raw eggs with the addition of sugar. These two ingredients form the basis of the drink. But other additives are also used, which make the product even more delicious and healthy. Depending on personal preference, whites or yolks or a mixture of the two are used separately. The ingredients are whipped with a whisk, fork or mixer until frothy, then the cocktail is cooled if necessary and served.
Almost everyone born before 2000 knows what eggnog is. In an era of candy shortages and the global financial crisis, homemade treats were the most popular. Today, families are making this smoothie for their children less and less often, for a variety of reasons. Firstly, a lot of ready-made protein products appeared on sale, and secondly, parents take into account possible risks, because raw eggs are used in cooking, and they are not always safe, especially for an immature child's body.
History of Origin
Eggnog is a legendary cocktail, and in the literal sense of the word. This dessert is known almost all over Europe, popular in America, but truly no one knows who exactly is the discoverer and creator of this wonderful remedy. There are many legends and versions. The Jews take credit for the creation of the drink, while the Germans claim that their cooks invented and began to use it even earlier.
There is plenty of evidence that eggnog is quite an ancient invention, it was used even before our era, as evidenced by numerous notes in chronicles that are over 2,000 years old. Eggnog, as a drink made from raw eggs and honey, is often mentioned in the Talmuds and other Jewish religious literature, which is known to be passed down from generation to generation and has remained unchanged for several millennia.
In ancient times this sweet cocktail was not just used as a drink, even then people knew of its medicinal properties. Egg syrup was used to treat sore throats, coughs, and loss of strength. Despite this, the creator of the drink is still considered not the most ancient cooks, but the German Manfred Köckenbauer, who was engaged in confectionery business.
There are other hypotheses concerning the origin of the egg cocktail recipe. For example, one legend says that Gogol eggnog owes its name to the cantor with the surname Gogel, who lived in Mogilev and used the drink to restore his voice when he had a sore throat.
Composition and calories
The classic eggnogol-eggnogol is made from 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Sometimes this product is made only from the yolks. The composition includes a lot of useful components that make the mixture indispensable for maintaining health. Nutritional value of egg shake (per 100 g):
- calories - 320 kcal;
- Proteins - 3 g for whipped yolks, 13 g for whole eggs;
- carbohydrates - 97 g or 87 g;
- fats - up to 1 g.
As you can see, the nutritional value of the product differs depending on what ingredients were used. In addition, eggnog contains a lot of useful substances, vitamins and trace elements.
- 7 types of B vitamins: thiamine, choline, riboflavin, pyridoxine, folate, pantothenic acid, cobalamin.
- Vitamin D - prevents depression, is involved in the absorption of calcium, is responsible for vital energy and normal functioning of the endocrine system.
- Biotin, aka H or B7 - "beauty vitamin", is responsible for the good state of skin, hair, nails, supports cell and tissue regeneration.
- Minerals: phosphorus, calcium, potassium, sodium, sulfur, chlorine, magnesium.
- Essential and substitutable amino acids, which must be supplied to the body with food in adequate quantities to ensure the normal functioning of internal organs and tissue regeneration.
Eggs and products made from them are very useful for everyone, especially children and people whose work involves regular physical exertion. With an active lifestyle to avoid exhaustion, vitamin and mineral deficiencies, you can use eggnog as a supplement to the main diet 2-3 times a week.
What is the usefulness of eggnog
In addition to its amazing mild taste and nutritional value, eggnog is also a source of minerals, trace elements and vitamins that contribute to its health benefits.
Almost all products containing eggs are of great benefit to the female body. They enrich the body with the necessary trace elements, minerals, proteins, fatty acids and amino acids to maintain health. The only disadvantage of the smoothie in this case is the presence of sugar. It is not too useful not only for women, but also for men.
Nevertheless, with enough exercise, the presence of sugar does not spoil eggnog. It can be good for women for several reasons.
- Helps maintain a normal hormonal background and avoid imbalances.
- Stabilizes the functioning of the female reproductive system, normalizes the endocrine glands.
- Takes care of the appearance, maintains the beauty of hair, skin, strengthens the nails.
- Maintains a healthy body mass index, protects against obesity.
- Cleanses blood vessels and prevents the development of atherosclerosis.
In order for eggnog to bring only benefits, you need to make sure that there are no contraindications to the use of this product. Otherwise, it can only harm the body.
For the representatives of the stronger sex, eggnog can become a real cure, because this product has a beneficial effect on all areas of male health. If you use it correctly, you can get a lot of benefits.
- The dessert is rich in easily digestible carbohydrates, which are instantly absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract and give the body energy, save from overwork and fatigue.
- In ancient times, men consumed a drink based on eggnog, which had a positive effect on potency. The fact is that it contains active substances that stimulate the production of male hormones, as well as stabilize the reproductive system, due to which the libido increases and the risk of impotence decreases many times.
- Eggnog contains proteins of animal origin, which are absorbed by the body in their entirety. This has a positive effect on the quality and quantity of sperm in the seminal fluid, due to which men do not have problems with conception. This cocktail can be used as a supplement to the diet during the period of pregnancy planning, if the couple for a long time can not conceive a child.
- Eggnog contains amino acids, which contribute to the regulation of the hormonal background in men and increase the efficiency of the reproductive system.
In addition, egg consumption is also important for men because of their more developed muscles. The body expends a lot of animal proteins to provide and maintain muscle tissue, and eggnog supplies them in the right quantity. This product will keep away from avitaminosis, mineral and iron deficiencies, support male health and help recover after great physical exertion.
During pregnancy, it is worth considering the risks associated with the consumption of raw eggs. It is not recommended to use this product in the first trimester, as any infection during this period can have an extremely negative effect on the health of the mother and child. Eggnog has such benefits for pregnant women:
- The dessert contains folic acid, which helps the fetus develop normally and supports women's health.
- Eggs are rich in proteins, which are well absorbed by the body, they are necessary for the growth of the fetus and the formation of internal organs.
- B vitamins and fatty acids support the immune and nervous system of a woman and her baby.
- The yolks contain healthy fats that take care of the health of the skin.
- Micronutrients from this product ensure the normal functioning of the endocrine system and normalize hormone levels.
- Iron helps prevent the development of anemia and fetal hypoxia.
Doctors do not recommend pregnant women to eat eggs every day, because the body expends significant energy resources to digest them. It is also important to choose a product marked "D" (dietary) on the shell, this means that it is stored for less than 7 days, which means it is absolutely fresh and safe.
Enriching the diet with animal proteins, restoring the balance of micro-nutrients and stimulating lactation are just some of the things eggnog can do during breastfeeding. This product is absolutely safe if the baby is not allergic to eggs. A nursing mother can start introducing it into her diet no earlier than 1 month after childbirth.
For the first time after childbirth you can try to introduce eggnog by 1 teaspoon to see how the baby reacts to the new product. If no adverse effects of the product are not observed, you can gradually increase the dose. Here are a few rules to follow:
- You should not eat eggnog too often, it can lead to constipation in the mother and child.
- It is better to pasteurize the eggs before making the cocktail, then there will be no risk of contracting salmonellosis.
- Together with the dessert it is better to eat a slice of lemon or an apple, because sweets lead to a shift of Ph to the acidic side, which has a negative impact on lactation, the immune system and health.
It is possible to consume eggnog while breastfeeding, but you should not forget about the safety rules, so as not to harm your health and the baby's body.
The benefits of this protein drink for children are simply invaluable. Very many parents complain about a child's reluctance to eat eggs in any other form. There are children who do not like white, eating only the yolk, or vice versa. Therefore, eggnog is, above all, an opportunity to feed a child a healthy product, without forcing him to eat something he does not like.
Cooked according to the classic recipe, eggnog is not just a tasty treat for a child. There are at least 10 reasons why children should eat this protein dish.
- Eggs contain useful cholesterol, that is, those lipid compounds that are used by the body as a "building material" for the formation of new cell membranes. Without these components, rapid growth and regeneration of tissues is impossible.
- Proteins, which are contained in the egg, take part in growth processes, contribute to the harmonious development of the child's body. They are necessary for the muscles and internal organs.
- Mineral compounds stabilize the development and functioning of the brain, improve memory and increase concentration.
- B vitamins are involved in the nervous system, strengthen the immune system, helping children's body to fight infections and other problems.
- Due to the iron and folic acid content, eggs prevent anemia and other problems related to hematopoiesis.
- Eggnog is a worthy alternative to many modern sweets that are full of preservatives, dyes, and chemicals that reduce a child's cognitive and intellectual potential.
- This dessert can make up for the lack of fluoride, which is so important at all stages of child development. It strengthens tooth enamel, as well as having a beneficial effect on other body systems.
- Eggnog can be used as an adjunct to basic therapy for throat diseases in children and an effective remedy for sore throats and acute respiratory infections.
- The dessert softens the vocal cords in male adolescents during puberty and helps to avoid problems associated with hormonal restructuring at this stage.
- Eggnog helps to cough faster, produces expectorant effect, as well as liquefies sputum and promotes rapid recovery of the respiratory tract mucosa in inflammatory processes.
In the old days, children were forced to drink raw eggs, and not everyone was able to do it. This is not surprising, because the protein has a specific taste and consistency, so it is unlikely to get a child to swallow a slimy slurry for the sake of benefits. But eggnog - an excellent solution, children eat it with pleasure and even ask for more. Its advantage is that the drink can be used as a base for making a variety of safe, natural desserts.
When losing weight
Not the best product for fighting excess weight is eggnog, prepared according to the classic recipe. However, it can be used in a balanced diet to accelerate fat burning processes. The main ingredient is the egg, while sugar is only a supplement. If it is used in a minimal amount or replaced with sweeteners, for example, the cocktail can be of great value for the body. Here are the basic recommendations for using the drink in the fight against excess weight:
- Choose only the freshest eggs to avoid poisoning.
- It is best to prepare eggnog only from proteins, they contain the maximum dose of protein.
- During cooking, use additives that enhance the effect of the main components (ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, lemon juice).
- Use sugar to a minimum, replacing it with less caloric and useful honey.
- It is best to drink the cocktail before a workout or in the first half of the day, if physical activity is not planned, so that the body has time to process the portion of carbohydrates received.
Eggnog can be an alternative dessert option for those who want to lose weight, but are not ready to give up sweets completely in their diet. This dish, when used correctly, will help you to cope with excess weight faster, and without harming your health. It can also be used during hard diets as a supplement to prevent negative effects on the hair, skin, nails.
Harms and contraindications
Harm from this product can be due to the fact that it uses raw eggs in its preparation, and this is always a risk. The fact is that without heat treatment, you can get infected with salmonellosis, and this is a dangerous bacteria that can provoke very acute food poisoning. To avoid infection, it is worth adhering to these rules:
- Wash eggs thoroughly before breaking them into a whipping container.
- Buy only the freshest products (the date is indicated on the package or directly on the shell).
- Do not buy eggs "from hand" at farmers' markets, where sellers do not have certificates and permits from the laboratory.
If infection occurs, do not delay a visit to the hospital. This disease is especially dangerous for children, so it is better to go immediately to the doctor, not waiting until the infection begins to progress.
The use of this dessert is contraindicated if you are allergic to eggs. Also, it should not be used in the diet of those who suffer from diabetes. People with such a diagnosis can replace sugar with artificial sweeteners. It is worth refusing this drink and in the period of exacerbations of gastrointestinal diseases.
How to make eggnog: recipes
There are many recipes, using which, you can cook delicious and healthy eggnog. Depending on personal preferences and tastes, as well as on what goals are pursued, you can choose the best option.
Before cooking, you need to cool the eggs, so they will quickly whip into a foam, the dessert will turn out more puffy, light and delicious. To make 2 servings, you need to take the following ingredients:
- 3 yolks;
- 2 teaspoons sugar.
You need to take a clean, deep bowl and whip the ingredients well. You can use a mixer or a hand whisk for this purpose, or just a fork or a teaspoon, but this will make the process much more difficult. Pour the finished yolk foam into a glass or glass and serve with a straw. The whites that remain after cooking can be whipped separately to make a cream, or used in other dishes. It is advised to pour them into a container with a lid and send it to the freezer, there they will retain their properties for 30-40 days.
Eggnog, prepared according to this recipe, is an excellent remedy for dry and wet coughs. It can be used for bronchitis, acute respiratory infections, to eliminate residual effects after pneumonia, it is also useful to use it for tuberculosis. From coughs need to prepare this cocktail according to a special recipe.
Ingredients for preparing 2 servings:
- 2 eggs;
- 2 tablespoons of honey;
- 50 g butter;
- ½ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
It is necessary to grind honey and butter, preheating these ingredients to room temperature. After that, start beating the eggs with apple cider vinegar, gradually adding the honey-oil mixture. When the ingredients will be foamy, pour into glasses and take 150 ml 2 times a day. It is undesirable to use eggnog with sugar for therapeutic purposes, because refined sugar tends to impair the functioning of the immune system.
Eggnog is used as the basis for the preparation of delicious alcoholic cocktails, which do not leave the body with negative consequences in the morning. The fact is that eggs contain components that are so necessary for the liver to effectively process ethanol. Therefore, those who want to have hearty fun without a hangover, this drink will definitely do.
- 150 ml of rum;
- 6 egg yolks;
- ½ cup powdered sugar;
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
Initially, it is necessary to separate the eggs into yolks and whites, doing it as well as possible, because otherwise the drink will not hold the foam. In the cooking process, you should use only dry utensils, even a small amount of moisture can ruin the cocktail. Step by step instructions for the preparation of an alcoholic dessert:
- separately whip the yolks with powdered sugar into a foam;
- add lemon juice to the prepared rum;
- Without turning off the mixer, pour the alcohol in a thin stream into the egg foam.
Pour the cocktail into glasses; you can decorate it with whipped cream or sprinkle cinnamon on top, depending on personal preference. Instead of lemon juice, you can use orange fresh, it combines well with rum and balances the balance of acidity and sweetness, making the taste especially refined.
You can use eggnog as a source of proteins and carbohydrates in your sports diet. This product essentially replaces a protein shake and a gainer because it contains everything you need to build muscle mass. Unlike chemical protein mixes, eggnog does not contain additives that are harmful to health. If you complement it, for example, berries or fruits, you can double the benefit to the body.
Protein shakes are indispensable during "drying out" periods when it is necessary to get rid of subcutaneous fat to draw muscle definition, for example, before competitions. It is also indispensable for gaining muscle mass. It should be taken 30-40 minutes after the workout. To prepare it, you need the following ingredients:
- 4 proteins;
- 4 tablespoons of powdered milk;
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar.
First you should whip the whites with the sugar, wait until it completely dissolves, and then gradually add the powdered milk. Such a shake in one serving contains almost 30 grams of protein, satiates, stimulates muscle growth and activates the process of burning fat in the body. It is important to understand that such a drink should be consumed only after a workout or in the morning. In the evening, it is undesirable to drink egg white shake, because it requires a lot of energy for digestion, and because of this, you can not fully rest and recover in your sleep.
For a hangover
Since ancient times, people have noticed that a raw egg helps to cope with the symptoms of an alcohol hangover in a few minutes. And today this method is used quite often. If after a heady party a person has unpleasant symptoms - weakness, headache, feeling of intoxication, dry mouth, you can try to prepare an egg cocktail, which will saturate the body with components necessary for recovery and will spur the process of purification from the decay products of alcohol.
- 1 egg;
- 1 tablespoon sugar;
- 1 teaspoon cream;
- A pinch of turmeric;
- 1 tablespoon of brandy (if you don't have to go to work or drive).
The ingredients should be chilled first. Then you should mix everything and whip until it forms a puffy foam and drink it. For the cocktail to work faster, you should first drink 1 glass of uncold mineral water, eliminating dehydration and restoring water-salt balance.
Bodybuilders for maximum muscle gain can use eggnog to make a homemade gainer. This is especially necessary for those who have weak genetics and have problems with weight gain.
For one serving, you need to take the following ingredients:
- 2 eggs;
- 4 tablespoons of maltodextrin;
- 100 ml of milk.
There is no need to add sugar, maltodextrin will replace it in full. Mix the eggs with the powdered mixture and whisk, then thinly pour the milk and continue to whisk. You can also use powdered milk, for this amount of ingredients is enough 1 tablespoon.
This drink is traditionally made with alcohol, but it can also be made without this component for children and adults who are contraindicated to alcohol.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 6 eggs;
- 4 tablespoons sugar;
- 200 ml of whole milk;
- 200 ml of rum;
- Cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg.
First you need to whip the eggs and sugar, pour in a thin stream of milk without turning off the mixer, then add rum, vanilla, cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg and continue to whip. Before serving, garnish the drink with cinnamon sticks and pour into beautiful glasses with orange slices. You can also make this cocktail for children, using mashed banana instead of alcohol.
Gogol eggnog is a truly legendary drink, about the history of which little is known to modern man. But there are facts about this cocktail that have survived to the present day.
- A mixture of eggs whipped with sugar and alcohol inspired American chefs to create the world famous "Advocaat" liqueur.
- Even today, various egg cocktails are popular in Polish cuisine. The traditional eggnog is made with berry syrups.
- There is a legend that originally the cocktail was made with eggs and bread, but its recipe was perfected by Bronislava Potocka, Countess. She began using honey to make the egg yolks sweet.
- A few centuries ago, eggnog was considered a successful product for introducing complementary foods and was even used for infants. Modern pediatricians categorically forbid giving infants raw eggs, and even with a lot of sugar.
- Eggnog is a drink based on whipped eggs. It is a traditional Christmas dish in Canada, some states of America, as well as in some European countries.
Eggnog is a fairly healthy dessert, which can be prepared in completely different ways.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only. purposes. Before applying any recommendations, please consult with a specialized specialist before using any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."