Blueberries: useful properties and contraindications
Blueberries can increasingly be found not only in the forest, but also in garden plots. The berry, like all others, brings invaluable benefits to the body. It is consumed not only in its fresh form. Blueberries are used to make morsels and juices, jams and smoothies. There are also two options for its long-term storage, which allows you to save most of the vitamins and nutrients.
- What is a blueberry and what does it look like?
- Where it grows
- How to tell the blueberry from the blueberry
- Composition and calories
- Blueberries useful properties
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- In Pregnancy
- For children
- When losing weight
- Therapeutic properties of the blueberry leaf
- Blueberries in medicine
- For diabetes
- In pancreatitis
- For gastritis
- For the bowel
- For constipation
- For gout
- For colitis
- For the liver
- For hemorrhoids
- For cholecystitis
- Blueberries in cosmetology
- For Face
- For hair
- Harms and Contraindications
- Symptoms of Allergy to Blueberries
- When to harvest and how to store blueberries
- Can I freeze?
- Can it be dried?
- What can be cooked of blueberry: Recipes
- How to eat blueberries
- How much you can eat per day.
- Can I Eat at Night
- Can I Eat Blueberries with Milk
- How to clear blueberries from debris
- Can I Give Blueberries to Animals
- Interesting facts about Blueberries
What is a blueberry and what does it look like?
The blueberry is a small bush that can be up to 1.5 meters high. The berries are always small regardless of species. They are round, black in color with a blue tint, for which they get their name. Some varieties have a patina.
The ripe fruits taste sweet and have no bitterness. The skin is not thick, with a slight sourness. Inside there are small seeds.
Where to grow
Wild blueberry is common in the forests of the Northern Hemisphere. The shrub is undemanding, allowing it to grow in many countries and regions, including cold or temperate climates.
The blueberry grows in swamps, mountains, and dense forests. Both clay and rocky soil suits it. On average, a single shrub can grow and bear fruit for 80 years.
Garden blueberry is found in the Far East, the Caucasus, Siberia, Altai, and Iceland. In Russia, the shrub is found in many garden plots located in northern regions and areas with a temperate climate.
How to distinguish blueberries from blueberries
Many novice gardeners and mushroom hunters confuse blueberries and blueberries. It is quite easy to distinguish them.
- Blueberries are distinguished by their small berries, which have a black color. On their surface there is no plaque. There is also no blue hue. The berries taste sweet and grow on small bushes, the height of which does not exceed 20 centimeters. They are arranged individually on the bush.
- Blueberries. A distinction is made between garden and wild. Berries regardless of the species are edible, have a black color with a blue tint and a coating on the surface. Fruits are larger than blueberries and sweeter, arranged in clusters. The flesh is light in color. Wild blueberries reach a height of about 20 centimeters. Garden species can grow to 1.5 m.
Blueberries and blueberries are similar in appearance and taste. But they are completely different berries. Blueberries are not only tasty, but also useful berries, which can and should be eaten fresh or cook on its basis morsels.
Composition and calories
The greatest number of useful substances is contained in the skin. There are many vitamins in the composition:
- Vitamin A. Important for the organs of vision, actively involved in metabolic processes, activates the synthesis of white blood cells. Vitamin A is valuable for the immune system. With its normal content, the body itself fights pathogens. Thanks to vitamin A, the skin becomes smooth and acquires a normal color. In addition, it is involved in the production of "good" cholesterol.
- Vitamin C. The most important element for human immunity. It also helps to activate the synthesis of collagen, which is responsible for the condition of the skin. It helps to remove harmful substances from the body, prevents the process of cell destruction, takes an active part in hematopoiesis, and slows down the development of atherosclerosis.
- Vitamin E. It is a natural antioxidant. It is known as the "vitamin of youth. It is necessary for the cardiovascular and kidney systems, and helps to prevent the development of diseases of the visual apparatus.
- Vitamin K. It is necessary for the body to absorb calcium, iron. It helps accelerate the healing of wounds and burns. It also helps the liver and kidneys, and slows the development of osteoporosis.
- B vitamins. A group of vitamins is also important for the body. They take an active part in many processes of the body. First of all, they support the functioning of the myocardium and the nervous system, participate in cell growth and muscle tissue. B vitamins allow to restore the psycho-emotional state, faster and easier to cope with stress, depression and great psychological stress.
Blueberries also contain other vitamins such as PP, H. All of them are necessary for the body, including children.
In addition, the fruit also contains various minerals:
- Iron. It is necessary for the transport of oxygen to various tissues and organs. The mineral is also involved in the metabolic process. Iron deficiency leads to the development of anemia, which is a dangerous condition, especially during pregnancy.
- Calcium. It is required by the body for bone structure. Calcium deficiency leads to brittle nails, bones, the development of diseases of the musculoskeletal system, such as osteochondrosis. It is also noted the occurrence of cramps of the muscle tissue of the lower extremities.
- Potassium. This mineral plays a large enough role in maintaining intracellular pressure that muscle tissue, including the heart, works properly. Potassium is essential for maintaining intracellular composition and is involved in many reactions that occur in the body, including being necessary for oxygenation of the brain. It prevents swelling and normalizes the performance of the urinary system.
- Magnesium. Actively involved in the metabolic processes of the body, supports the synthesis of glucose.
- Sodium. This substance provides transport of useful microelements in various tissues of the body, regulates the water-salt balance and participates in metabolic processes.
Blueberries also contain trace elements such as copper, phosphorus and others. All of them are necessary for the normal functioning of certain organs and systems.
The composition of berries also includes acids such as oxalic, citric, malic, and acetic. The fruit, despite its size, contains amino acids, essential oils and fiber. Compared to other berries, blueberries contain the greatest number of useful substances and are much superior to them in composition.
The caloric value of the fruit is only 40 kcal per 100 grams, which allows you to include blueberries in the diet, even when losing weight and following a special diet.
Useful properties of the blueberry
General health benefits
The berry, like many others, brings invaluable benefits to the body. Due to its composition, it relieves fever in fever and has an antimicrobial effect, which allows you to use the fruit in the preparation of remedies for folk medicine.
Also the useful properties of berries include:
- Strengthening and maintenance of the immune system due to the content of large amounts of vitamin C.
- Improvement of vision. Like blueberries, blueberries are used to maintain the organs of vision. In addition, it allows you to relieve eye strain.
- Improved digestion due to the presence of micronutrients and dietary fiber.
- Elimination of constipation. Blueberries are widely used as a relaxant, which allows you to eliminate stagnation in the intestines.
- Normalization of the metabolism. This is achieved due to the high content of various vitamins and minerals.
- Prevention of the development of cancerous tumors. Included substances have the property to slow down tumor processes and prevent their occurrence.
- Removal of harmful substances from the body and the elimination of the unpleasant symptoms of cystitis, as it contains substances that support the work of the urinary system.
- Normalization of the work of the pancreas. Conditioned by the content of minerals and vitamins that activate the synthesis of glucose.
- Reducing tissue swelling, which is important during pregnancy.
- Strengthening of vascular walls and heart muscle due to sufficient calcium, magnesium and potassium.
- Reducing the level of "harmful" cholesterol, which helps to prevent the formation of cholesterol plaques and reduce the risk of heart disease, including stroke.
- Improvement of the nervous system.
- Strengthening of memory.
Among other things, blueberries are widely used in folk medicine as a prevention of Alzheimer's disease, promotes normal hematopoiesis.
In cosmetology, blueberries are used for normalizing the complexion, removing bruises and puffiness under the eyes, slowing the natural aging process, improving the condition of the hair. In folk medicine remedies based on blueberries are used to accelerate the healing of burns, wounds and pustules.
Blueberries are useful for women's health. Regular use of the fruit helps maintain a normal menstrual cycle.
The substances that make up the fruit can improve the complexion by getting rid of bruising, swelling, the cause of which is improper work of the pancreas. Blueberries are used in folk medicine to eliminate bile and harmful substances.
Blueberries have a positive effect on the urogenital system and bring benefits for men's health. Its regular consumption can reduce the risk of infertility, prostatitis, which is quite a serious problem among many men after 40 years.
Women during pregnancy need to be careful with their diet. Introduce blueberries with caution, starting with a few berries a day. If there are no allergies and unpleasant symptoms, you can use it regularly, but in small amounts.
The composition of berries includes substances that are necessary for the development of bone tissue in the child. After childbirth, the berry will preserve the beauty and strength of hair and nail plates.
During pregnancy, the female body consumes a lot of useful substances. Blueberries will help to replenish them, as they have a fairly rich composition.
During lactation, the female body also loses many vitamins, nutrients and minerals. Blueberries will allow to replenish all the reserves.
But it should be introduced into your diet no earlier than 6-7 months after the birth, and in small portions. This is due to the fact that the baby may have an allergic reaction.
For a child, regardless of age, blueberries are also useful. It contains substances that are involved in the structure of the bones, which allows the bone system to develop properly and be strong enough.
In addition, the berry helps to strengthen the memory, contains vitamin C, which is necessary for the work of the body's defenses. The presence of shrubbery in the diet will protect the child during the cold season, reduce the risk of acute respiratory infections, the flu.
Also, the fruit is used in the preparation of folk medicine to stop bleeding and accelerate the healing process of wounds.
When losing weight
The caloric value of blueberries is only 40 kcal per 100 g. Due to this it can be included in the diet for weight loss.
The berries are quite nutritious and help to satisfy the hunger even in a small amount and replenish the vitamin reserves. That is why nutritionists recommend to include blueberries in the diet of people who want to lose weight or do not want to put on weight.
Therapeutic Properties of the Blueberry Leaf
Benefits for the body bring not only the fruits of the plant, but also its leaves. Their composition is almost identical to the berries. The only difference is the concentration.
Leaves are used in folk medicine. They are used to prepare various decoctions, infusions, which are used to treat diseases of the urinary system, to maintain immunity and use them in the cold season.
Infusions also have a relaxing effect, which helps to cope with stagnation in the intestines.
The leaves are collected during the flowering season, dried and stored in a cool, dry place. To prepare the infusion uses 1 teaspoon of leaves, which are crushed beforehand, and 1 cup hot water. Raw Pour water and insist for 10 minutes. After that, the remedy is strained and taken before or with a meal.
Blueberries in medicine
Blueberries are also used for medicinal purposes in various diseases. Included substances help to stop unpleasant symptoms and restore the work of individual systems. But it is important to remember that folk medicine should be used only in the absence of allergic reactions to components, after consultation with your doctor and in combination with other treatments.
With diabetes mellitus
Experts recommend the use of blueberries in diabetes, regardless of the type of the disease. This is due to the fact that the fruit has a low glycemic index and does not provoke a change in blood glucose levels.
In addition, blueberries are rich in various substances that allow not only to slow down the development of the disease, but also to prevent early aging, support immunity, myocardial function, strengthen muscle tissue.
Important: The glycemic index of blueberries is 36 units.
In the case of diagnosis of pancreatitis, it is important for patients not only to take the prescribed drugs, but also to follow a diet. It is recommended to introduce vegetables, fruits and berries into the diet, including blueberries.
Fruits help control the work of the pancreas, protect the organ from various injuries and promote a speedy recovery.
In case of gastritis
When gastritis is established, blueberries do not belong to the forbidden products. It is recommended to be introduced into the diet, because the fruit has the property to protect the mucosa from the effects of harmful substances, to replenish the reserves of minerals. Blueberries do not have a negative effect on the stomach.
Also, the fruit helps to strengthen the immune system weakened after an illness due to the high content of vitamins.
For the intestines
Blueberries are also useful for intestinal diseases. It allows you to prevent the development of tumor processes and remove harmful substances from the body.
Antioxidant properties of the fruit contribute to the rapid removal of toxins, resulting in a reduced load on the intestines.
When stagnation occurs in the intestines, it is important to take action in a timely manner. It is not always possible to find the right remedies at hand. When constipation cope with the problem will help fruits and berries, including blueberries. It's enough to include them in your diet, using both fresh and cooked from berries morsels and compotes. Fiber, minerals and dietary fiber will help to cope with constipation softly and in a short time. It should also be consumed as a prophylactic of congestion.
The disease is characterized by the appearance of sudden attacks of tissue swelling and painful sensations. Blueberries will help to cope with unpleasant symptoms. This is due to the fact that berries have the property to remove excess water from the body and remove edema. Also due to the high content of vitamins and minerals, the fruit will restore immunity, increase the body's resistance to viruses, remove harmful microorganisms, toxins and restore water-salt balance.
Colitis develops against the background of inflammation of the intestinal mucosa. The main signs are pain, swelling and stool disorders. Get rid of unpleasant symptoms will help blueberries.
The use of berries at the diagnosis of colitis is not prohibited. But they should be eaten with caution and after consulting a specialist.
For the liver
Thanks to its properties, blueberries can slow down or prevent the development of liver fibrosis. The disease is quite dangerous for the health and life of the patient. That is why it is necessary to include blueberries in the diet. Thanks to its composition, the load on the liver will be reduced, reducing the risk of a number of serious pathologies.
Today there are several folk medicine recipes based on blueberries. There are also special preparations that include an extract of the berries or leaves of the plant, which help to cope with hemorrhoids.
The use of remedies will help get rid of unpleasant symptoms and restore normal stools, avoiding serious consequences.
The disease develops against the background of urolithiasis and is its complication. You can also treat the pathology with the help of folk medicine and preparations that include blueberries.
It will restore the normal functioning of the urinary system and relieve edema. Thus, blueberries are widely used in the treatment of many diseases and help significantly improve the overall condition of patients, accelerate healing processes.
Blueberries in cosmetology
Blueberries are widely used in cosmetology as well. Their extract is added to various creams, masks, lotions and other products. You can also prepare them yourself at home.
For the face
Blueberries, which are part of such means, will help to significantly improve the condition of the skin, to remove the shallow wrinkles around the eyes, return a normal color.
All means should be selected depending on the type of skin. For dry skin, you can use the following recipe:
- a tablespoon of berries;
- chicken egg;
- A teaspoon of vegetable oil.
Using a blender, puree the berries, add the egg yolk, oil and mix thoroughly. Apply the mask to the face and wash off after 15 minutes. Then wipe the skin with a piece of ice.
For oily skin use a mask which consists of one yolk, a teaspoon of starch and a tablespoon of berries. All the components to pour into a container, bring to a state of puree. The remedy should have the consistency of thick sour cream. To do this, you can add a small amount of water. Then apply to the face, keep for 10-15 minutes and wash off.
To moisturize the skin, use a mask prepared on the basis of blueberries and honey. This requires a teaspoon each of cottage cheese, honey, a tablespoon of blueberries. All grind and mix. Apply with a cotton pad for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water. Use this remedy should be used if you are not allergic to bee products.
The hair also needs care. To give them shine, restore the structure will help means on the basis of blueberry and the leaves of the plant.
- Require a tablespoon of leaves, which are brewed in a glass of boiling water and insist for 20-30 minutes, then strain. The product is used as a hair rinse, which is used after washing your head.
- To prepare the hair mask you will need 100 grams of fresh berries (you can use frozen) and egg yolk. All ingredients are mixed and mashed with a blender. The resulting mass is applied to the hair after washing the hair and incubated for 10-15 minutes. After that, rinse it off with warm water.
Harms and contraindications
Despite the fact that the blueberry is the most innocuous berry, it should be used with caution, especially in children. This is due to the fact that it can cause the development of an allergic reaction.
Also the fruit should be eaten in small quantities for the following reasons:
- Fruits are distinguished by their antioxidant properties. When there is a large amount of these substances in the body, muscle tissue deteriorates.
- Blueberries contain a huge number of trace elements, which have a negative effect on the body if their content exceeds the norm.
- Contraindications include individual intolerance to berries, the presence of biliary dyskinesia and taking blood thinners.
But even in the absence of contraindications it is necessary to consume blueberries in limited quantities, without overeating.
Blueberry allergy symptoms
Blueberries rarely cause an allergic reaction. Most often it appears in children under one year, when the berries are introduced into the diet.
Signs of a negative reaction are rash on the skin, redness. In some cases, hives appear.
Also allergies can be expressed in the appearance of rhinitis, lacrimation and fever. It is forbidden to consume berries in the presence of an allergic reaction, since it can lead to the occurrence of Quincke's edema. This symptom is life-threatening, and in the absence of medical help can be fatal.
When to pick and how to store pigeonberries
The berries are harvested from mid-August to mid-September, depending on the variety and location. The ripe berries are soft, sweet, and blue in color.
Blueberries can be stored in several ways. Blueberries are used for jams, compotes and other delicacies.
Can I freeze them?
Many gardeners and mushroom pickers wonder after picking whether the fruit can be frozen. Blueberries, like other berries, can be stored frozen. In this case, it retains a lot of useful substances.
Before freezing, the fruits are carefully selected, washed under running water and dried naturally.
Then they are placed in special containers or poured into plastic bags and put into the freezer. Berries have a shelf life of 6 to 12 months. They are used to make cosmetics, compotes, baked goods.
Can you dry them
Blueberries can be dried. This can be done either in the sun or in a special dryer. The finished product has a long shelf life and is stored in a cool dry place.
Dried berries can be used in the preparation of various tinctures, as well as brewed together with tea.
What can be made of blueberries: Recipes
Blueberries are used in the preparation of preparations for the winter. From it cook not only compotes, but also make smoothies, jam, wine.
Blueberries belong to the sweet berries. To make jam, 1 kg of sugar per kilogram of fruit is taken.
Pour everything into a saucepan and put it on the fire. Once the mixture boils, the fire should be reduced and simmer for 30-40 minutes. The readiness of the jam can be checked by a drop: it should not drip off the spoon. Then everything is poured into pre-prepared jars.
If you want to keep the berries whole, you boil them in syrup in a 1:1 ratio. First, pour sugar into a saucepan, add a small amount of water, and bring to a boil. Carefully add the berries and leave on low heat for 20-30 minutes. The jam poured into jars.
Blueberries can be made into wine. The process is long and difficult. But thanks to the observance of the technology of cooking, you can get a delicious drink that will be useful for the body.
You will need:
- 5 liters of water;
- 5 kg of berries;
- 2 kg of sugar;
- 20 grams of citric acid;
- 100 g raisins.
Raisins are used as a source of dry yeast, so it is not necessary to wash them. Citric acid acts as a stabilizer.
Prepare the wine according to the following technology:
- Mash the berries and put the mass in a container with a wide neck.
- Add to the mixture half a kilo of granulated sugar, citric acid and water.
- Stir everything and cover with gauze or other cloth.
- Leave the container in a dark place where the temperature is between 18 and 25 degrees. Once a day everything should be stirred with a wooden stick.
- After 2-3 days, when there are signs of fermentation, drain the juice, and squeeze the pulp.
- Add half a kilo of sugar and stir.
- Put a rubber glove on the neck with a hole in one finger and leave the solution in a dark place.
- After 4 days, remove the glove.
- Drain into a separate container and add half a kilo of sugar and mix thoroughly until it is completely dissolved.
- The resulting syrup add back and set the glove.
- After three days, repeat the procedure.
- The fermentation process continues for 2 months. After this, a sediment appears on the bottom, and the solution itself takes on a lighter shade. It should be poured into another container with a tube.
- After that the wine can be tasted. If there is not enough sweetness, add sugar. To increase the strength, you can also pour alcohol or vodka, but not more than 15% of the entire volume. Otherwise the aroma of the drink will be lost.
The wine is placed in a cool place, where the temperature does not exceed 15 degrees, and left to mature for six months. In case a sediment appears, the drink is regularly poured into another container with a tube.
After aging the drink is poured into bottles and sealed hermetically. The shelf life of blueberry wine made according to this recipe is up to 4 years.
Kampot is an excellent way to preserve the berries for the winter. For its preparation need 2 kg of berries, 0.5 l of water and 0.5 kg of sugar. Jars must be sterilized before filling. You can do this in a water bath or in an oven.
First of all fruits should be sorted out and washed. Dry them on a napkin, placing them in a single row. Pour the berries into a jar at once. Pour the water into a saucepan, add the sugar and bring to the boil until the sugar is completely dissolved. Pour the prepared syrup hot into a jar with berries. After that, twist the jar and put it in a warm place, wrapped with a blanket. Leave until completely cooled. Store in the refrigerator or in the basement. Shelf life of no more than six months.
Kompot can be made not only from blueberries. In the drink add other berries. A good option is blackberries. For cooking you will need:
- 1 kg of blueberries;
- 500 g of blackberries;
- 1.5 kg of granulated sugar;
- 10 grams of citric acid;
Jars and lids should also be prepared by sterilizing them. All berries should be picked, thoroughly rinsed, then dried and poured into a jar, a volume of 3 liters. Water, as in the previous recipe, pour into a saucepan, add sugar, citric acid and bring to a boil. Pour the syrup into the jar before it cools. Cover with a lid and leave for 24 hours until completely cooled. Instead of blackberries, you can also use other berries, such as strawberries, gooseberries, cherries.
A healthy and great option for breakfast would be a smoothie made with blueberries. There are many recipes.
The following ingredients will be required:
- Blueberries in the amount of 50 g.
- Yogurt without added sugar - 150 ml.
- 40 g of instant oat flakes.
- 5 ml of honey.
- 100g of pears.
Rinse and peel berries. Then leave them to dry out. To do this, place them on a paper towel. Peel the pear and cut it into several slices. Remove the areas with seeds with a knife. It is not necessary to use honey, but if necessary, melt it in a water bath. Pour the oat flakes into a blender and grind. Then add the pear and blueberries. Turn everything into a puree. If necessary, add melted honey and pour all the yogurt. Before using, whisk until smooth.
The smoothie is quite thick and helps to satisfy hunger. It is recommended to use it for breakfast or as a snack. Due to its composition, it will allow you to satisfy your hunger for a few hours. The recipe can also be used for weight loss.
Recipe number 2
A useful cocktail can also be prepared from the following components:
- 150 g banana.
- 400 grams of apples.
- 200 g blueberries.
- 100g raspberries
- 50 grams of walnuts.
First you need to prepare the nuts, chopping them with a blender and pouring them into a separate container. Apples and bananas also need to be prepared. Peel them, remove the pips from the apples. All cut into slices and put in a bowl. Using a blender, grind to a state of puree. Pick the blueberries and raspberries carefully, rinse and also with a blender turn them into a puree. Combine all the components, mix until a homogeneous mass. You can add apple juice.
Smoothie is also ideal for breakfast, dessert and snack. It has no effect on the figure, can also be used for weight loss. In addition, it contains a lot of vitamins that will help support the immune system, especially during the season of colds and flu.
Blueberries are also used to prepare a morsel. There are also several recipes, as the drink has been prepared for a long time and is popular among the peoples of the North. It helps not only to quench thirst, but also to restore power after a hard day. It is consumed both cold and warm.
To prepare it you need to prepare 1 kg of blueberries, 5 liters of water and sugar. It is added to taste. You can use fresh or frozen berries, which should be thawed before cooking.
Pour water over the blueberries, add sugar and bring to a boil. Leave on low heat for 5-10 minutes. At the same time the morsel is stirred regularly. When the drink is ready, it is removed from the fire, let cool a little and strain through a sieve. In the process, the berries are kneaded, squeezing the juice out of them. If desired, you can add sugar and stir. The drink should infuse for at least 30 minutes.
Morsels are not stored for a long time. It should be consumed within 2-3 days. Store it in the refrigerator, if necessary, before using a portion heated. The drink will help cope with the flu and colds, relieve fever and other unpleasant symptoms. Due to its composition, it will allow you to support the immune system, strengthen the body's defenses and eliminate toxins.
Blueberries are also used to produce juice. He also helps to improve the immune system, and can be used during the season of colds. Get it in two ways: by evaporation or pressing.
The first method:
- Berries are thoroughly washed and poured into a juicer. Add granulated sugar in the amount of 100 g per 1 kg of berries.
- If you do not have a juicer, you can use an enamel bowl or saucepan. Add water to the container and put on a low heat. Boil until the softening of berries. At the same time, using a wooden pestle, the fruit is kneaded, squeezing the juice out of them.
- On a colander put gauze in several layers and pass through it the resulting drink. The berries that were left on the gauze, squeeze.
- The juice is poured into a separate container and brought to a boil again. Also add sugar at the rate of 100 grams per 1 liter. Boiled for 10-15 minutes until the sugar is completely dissolved, and then filtered through gauze again.
The resulting drink hot pour into jars, screw caps and turn the neck down. After cooling, remove to the basement or other place for storage.
The second way:
- The berries are poured into a colander and washed thoroughly with several immersions in cold water.
- When the liquid has drained, the blueberries are poured into a press or juicer.
- The container is placed on a pan with boiling water. After an hour, the juice is ready. It is poured into jars, pre-sterilized.
- The lids tightly screwed and overturned. After cooling, remove to a place of storage.
Blueberry juice, prepared according to these recipes, stored for six months. You can also make freshly squeezed juice. To do this, the berries are poured into a juicer, and to the resulting drink, if desired, add sugar. But keep the juice for a long time can not. It is consumed at once.
How to eat blueberries
Berries are used not only in fresh form. It brings invaluable benefits for the body. It is important not to overeat it.
How much you can eat per day
The daily rate of blueberries depends on several factors. First of all, it is age. Children should not be given the fruit in large quantities, especially at the first use, when it is just introduced into the diet. It is recommended to start with 10 berries. In the absence of negative reactions, the dosage can be increased. Adults are recommended to use no more than 200 g of berries.
Also consider the state of health and the presence of individual intolerance. If necessary, the daily rate should be reduced.
Is it possible to eat at night?
It is not forbidden to consume blueberries at night. It does not contribute to overloading the stomach and disrupting its work. But it is necessary to eat them two hours before going to bed.
Blueberries are a source of energy and help to satisfy hunger. This is why it is allowed to eat them at night, but not in large quantities.
Can I Eat Blueberries with Milk?
Berries are quite useful for the body. But with the addition of milk, the benefits increase. Blueberries can be mashed and poured with milk. This will help the body to store energy, especially in the morning.
Milk can also be replaced with ryazhenka or kefir. Berries with sour milk products will be a great substitute for dessert when losing weight or a good breakfast, which will add strength, activate the brain and improve your mood.
How to clear blueberries
Blueberries are picked in the woods or in the garden plot. But when picking in a bucket there is always trash in the form of twigs, sticks, leaves. You can get rid of it in two ways:
- Mechanical. To pick berries in large quantities is a long process. But after this, the berry becomes clean, and it can be used immediately for making preparations, drying or freezing.
- Soak it. The berries should be poured carefully into a basin and poured with water. All leaves and twigs, as well as rotten berries will float to the surface. But a small amount of debris may remain after such cleaning. Rinse the berries up to 4 times.
Also, experienced people advise to spread a cloth on an inclined surface and roll the berries. The fruit will roll down, and the debris will be retained on the surface. The cloth should be shaken off regularly.
Can I Give Blueberries to Animals
Blueberries, like many others, are not given to cats and dogs. Despite their value, they can be harmful to the animal's body.
Useful fruits for parrots, rodents. They contain many nutrients, and pets will be happy to eat them.
Interesting facts about blueberries
The fruit of the blueberry is known to many people today. But here are a few interesting facts about the berries:
- The plant is native to North America. In Europe, it appeared in the late 17th century and immediately gained popularity.
- The blueberry is a symbol of New Jersey, where there is even a museum of the berry.
- There are several annual blueberry festivals in Canada.
- The berry was formerly used to dye clothes. Today, it is used as a natural dye in cooking.
- The berry freezes completely at subzero temperatures within 4 minutes.
- Blueberries protect against radiation. It absorbs a little radiation.
- Due to the content of antioxidants, blueberries slow down the aging process of the skin. By its value, 100 g of berries replace 5 medium apples.
Blueberries were widely used during the Second World War. Its berries and leaves were used to make infusions which were given to pilots to maintain eyesight, and to soldiers to heal wounds and strengthen the immune system.
In addition, blueberries activate the work of the brain. That is why it is recommended to eat it in the morning, and include it in the diet of children of school age.
Blueberries are invaluable for human health. It is enough to consume no more than 200 grams daily for all systems and organs to work properly. But it is important not to overuse, because unpleasant allergy symptoms can occur. If they appear, it is important to immediately refuse to use berries and consult a doctor, which will avoid unpleasant consequences.
«Important: All information on the site is provided solely for introductory purposes. Consult a specialist before applying any recommendations. specialist before using any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."