Mustard oil: useful and harmful properties, use
Mustard seed oil is used in the manufacture of bakery products, cooking, manufacturing of canned and confectionery products. In addition, this product is an important component of cosmetics, which are manufactured by industry or used in the home. Due to its healing properties, the oil is widely used in folk medicine and also as a massage agent in athletes after an active workout. In the industrial sphere, this liquid acts as a cooling and lubricating compound.
- What mustard oil is made of
- Composition and calories
- Useful properties of mustard oil
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- In Pregnancy
- For children
- When losing weight
- Mustard oil in medicine
- How to Take
- Mustard oil in cosmetology
- For Face
- For Hair
- Cooking Usage
- Whether it is possible to fry on mustard oil
- Harm and contraindications
- How to Choose and Store Mustard Oil
- How to Make Mustard Oil at Home
- Interesting Facts about Mustard
What mustard oil is made of
Raw materials of several species of mustard plant, which belong to the Cruciferous family, are used for the production of oil. White, black and blue - these are the three varieties of mustard. In Russian regions the seeds of blue mustard are most often used, in the Ukrainian expanses the black plant is popular. In Mediterranean countries and in areas of the Far East oil is obtained from the seeds of white mustard. Nowadays all these species are cultivated all over the world, and new varieties are being bred that are excellent for producing oil liquid.
Mustard varieties that do not contain such a substance as erucic acid in their seeds are best suited for this purpose. To obtain a high quality product from the seeds of the culture do not use freshly cut raw materials. The seeds of the plant should be stored in special places for about three months. This time is necessary for the ripening of the fruit. Elite varieties of oil are squeezed from the seeds, which have been lying in storage for three years. The production of the product is carried out by applying the cold-pressing method. Also the method of single pressing is used, provided that a temperature of 75 degrees is maintained inside a special squeezing device. It allows preserving all the natural properties of the fresh plant.
- The first stage of production consists in cleaning the raw material from various impurities and spoiled grains. This is done mechanically in special equipment.
- The second stage is a process of cold pressing of the seeds in the oil mill. At this stage, up to 65 percent of the pomace can be extracted. This is unrefined mustard oil, which is characterized by its most enriched composition. Large-scale commercial production of mustard oil follows the method of passing the raw material through a temperature press twice. In this case the oil yield increases up to 90 percent. The initial processing of mustard fruits takes place in a press, and the final pressing is done in expellers. After this processing of raw materials, a cake is formed, in which only five percent of the oil remains.
- The third stage is extraction. In this case, the concentrated composition is dissolved in acids of organic origin (nephrase with extraction gasoline). The oil is processed through the cell membrane of the plant raw material.
- The final stage of mustard oil production is purification, which includes several technological processes. First of all distillation, then deodorization and freezing. After that the product undergoes alkaline refinement, hydration and bleaching. The result is a highly refined and concentrated formulation. Such oil is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. Such a liquid even lacks any useful substances.
To obtain an unrefined oily liquid, it is only distilled to remove the solvent. The result is a living, organic oil, which carries great biological benefits. It contains beneficial phospholipids, fatty acids, various vitamin components, as well as flavor and aromatic substances.
Composition and calories
There are a large number of active elements in the oil from mustard fruits. Among them - vitamins, glycosides, polyunsaturated fatty acids, phytoncides, etc. In addition, this product contains saturated fats. The percentage of all useful substances may vary depending on the variety of plant used.
Poly- and monounsaturated fatty acids, represented by omega-3, -6, and -9, together are able to regulate the cardiovascular system, protecting blood vessels from the deposition of cholesterol plaques on them. In addition, the walls of blood vessels become more elastic, and blood viscosity decreases. These substances restore metabolism, improve the digestive tract, help remove toxic substances and compounds of heavy metals from the body. Representatives of this group are also useful because they can maintain hormonal levels in the human body, normalizing the work of both the endocrine and reproductive systems. Also as a result of receipt of these acids in the body stimulates the brain function, improves vision, hearing, and strengthens the protective shell.
- Vitamin A - in the composition of mustard oil helps to strengthen the immune system, improve vision.
- Vitamin E - has antioxidant properties, characterized by immunostimulatory and regenerating properties. By the way, the content of this element in mustard oil exceeds even its concentration in the product of sunflower seeds.
- Vitamin D - provides phosphorus and calcium balance in the blood and also maintains macronutrient levels, which are required to strengthen the bone system.
- Vitamin B6 is important for the normal functioning of the genitourinary system and has a calming effect on the nervous system.
- Vitamin B3 - is essential for the proper functioning of the digestive tract and central nervous system.
- Such a substance as choline also has a positive effect on the nervous system, is involved in the production of steroid hormones, improves the protective function of the body and protects against the development of inflammatory processes in the prostate.
- Glycoside Sinigrin is a natural antibiotic that is characterized by wound healing, analgesic, immune stimulating, antiviral, antiseptic and anthelminthic properties.
- Phytosterols in mustard oil can regulate endocrine system activity. In addition, anti-tumor effects are characteristic of these substances.
- Essential oils found in mustard pomace have a bactericidal effect.
- Of mineral compounds in the oil there is iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium and other micro- and macroelements, which provide metabolism.
The caloric value of mustard pomace is quite high. In 100 ml of oil contains almost 900 kcal. The energy value of the oil liquid is also impressive. In this amount of product there are 99.8 g of fat and only 0.2 g of water.
Useful properties of mustard oil
Mustard fruit oil has a specific taste and smell. For such a product is characterized by a large number of useful properties.
- First of all, it is worth noting the beneficial effect on the heart and blood vessels. The product improves blood composition, reduces viscosity, and normalizes cholesterol, while preventing the occurrence of atherosclerosis. As a result, blood vessels become more elastic and strong.
- The oil helps to improve the function of the digestive, reproductive and endocrine systems. It will help stimulate appetite, increase intestinal peristalsis and normalize fat metabolism. In addition, the regular use of this plant component clears the bile ducts and stabilizes the level of hormones in the body.
- The product has the ability to neutralize toxins and radionuclides that have a damaging effect. The oil will help improve visual acuity, restore the activity of the reproductive system. Also with its help you can speed up the recovery process after heavy physical exertion. The oily liquid has a rejuvenating, warming and irritating effect. In the area of application of the product increases blood circulation.
- Mustard oil can be used for a variety of diseases associated with the gastrointestinal tract. Thus, the product is indicated for gastritis with low acidity during stable remission, chronic pancreatitis out of exacerbation, liver and gallbladder pathology, if the disease has not manifested itself for a long time. In addition, the oil can be used as a prophylactic cholelithiasis.
- If there are violations of the hormonal background and metabolism, including diabetes, you should use mustard pomace. Constipation due to impaired intestinal peristalsis, atherosclerosis, anemia caused by iron deficiency, viral respiratory diseases can also be eliminated with the proper use of such a plant component.
- Mustard oil is also shown in case of sciatica, rheumatism, arthritis.
- It can also be used as an external remedy. For example, for quick healing of superficial wounds and cuts, elimination of abrasions and bruises, treatment of burns and acne, herpes, seborrhea and lichen.
- Two percent alcohol mustard mixture can be used for rubbing. As a result of using such a remedy, there is a flow of blood to certain tissues. The product has a warming and irritating effect, so it is especially recommended to apply it for inflammatory processes in the joints, the detection of rheumatism, bruises, sprained ligaments.
Oil from the seeds of the mustard plant is useful for the female body, as it helps to cope with pathologies of the genital organs, normalizes the hormonal background. With the regular inclusion of such a substance in a woman's menu, the probability of infertility or ovarian diseases is reduced. Also oil in a woman's diet will help normalize her condition before menstruation, as well as during menopause. Problems associated with menstrual cycle disorders can be reduced by constantly consuming food with the addition of unrefined oil, prepared by raw pressing of mustard seeds. The plant component reduces the frequency and severity of flushes to the head and face of women who are menopausal.
If you soak tampons in warm oil of mustard fruits and smear them on the genitals, you can get rid of such a disease as candidiasis.
Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in mustard oil have a positive effect on the male body as well. This product is able to improve reproductive function, it takes part in the formation of sperm and has a beneficial effect on the health of future offspring.
Mustard oil acts as a therapeutic and preventive agent for diseases such as prostatitis, prostate cancer and prostate adenoma.
The rich vitamin composition improves the performance of all organs and systems in general and the reproductive system in particular.
During pregnancy, a woman's body is subjected to great stress, so there are often various problems. It is important for a pregnant woman to consume mustard product. This will help pregnancy proceed much easier.
Useful substances that are in the composition of such oil have a positive effect on the baby and its development, as well as reducing the likelihood of complications during childbirth. Especially useful will be for the expectant mother retinol and tocopherol, which are contained in sufficient quantities in mustard squeeze. Also, pregnant women need an intake of omega-3 and -6, which can be provided by regular consumption of this component.
After the emergence of the child should not stop the use of mustard product. This is again due to the high content of vitamin E, which contributes to a better production of breast milk. It turns out more tasty and nutritious.
Mustard oil is characterized by many beneficial properties, which are also important for children's bodies. This product is recommended for use in children who have reached the age of two. The growing body needs certain vitamins and minerals, which are contained in this vegetable oil. Due to the vitamin complex provides the proper formation and development of the nervous system of the baby. Vitamin D is responsible for strengthening the bones.
Useful oil for a child is also for the reason that it is used for the therapy and prevention of parasites. In addition, mustard seed oil helps improve brain function, improves concentration and memory of the baby.
When losing weight
Mustard oil will prove useful for those who set a goal to get rid of extra pounds, tries to normalize the material metabolism and remove excess cholesterol from the body. This product is able to adjust the gastrointestinal tract and restore fat metabolism. Every athlete knows that the intake of beneficial fatty acids omega-3 and omega-6 is important for quality weight loss.
Oil for such purposes can be used in several ways. Oral use involves daily consumption of a tablespoon of oil on an empty stomach in the morning. This will allow you to lose excess weight. The product has a specific taste, but you need to remember that its benefits are much more important. You can use mustard seed oil as a salad dressing. However, it is important to observe the norm, as mustard seed oil has a high caloric value.
It is worth noting that weight loss with the use of this oil is possible only if you add physical exercise to a proper diet.
It is known and external application of mustard oil in weight loss in the form of wraps. This product is able to stimulate blood flow, break down fat deposits and remove toxins and harmful substances from the body. After wraps with the addition of such a vegetable component, the skin becomes firmer and softer. In addition, such procedures allow you to get rid of cellulite. The result can be noticed even after the first use.
Mustard oil in medicine
It is impossible to overestimate the benefits of mustard product. It is a preventive measure against various diseases, as it is considered an antibiotic of natural origin. The oil will help improve appetite and stimulate the digestive system. It is used to prevent liver degeneration, treat cirrhosis, cholecystitis and hepatitis of all types. The product also helps improve blood composition, strengthens blood vessels and gives them elasticity. Mustard seed oil is a preventive from hypertension and atherosclerosis, prevents the development of anemia and is widely used in the treatment of diseases of the joints and muscles. Diseases such as gout, rheumatism, sciatica can easily be eliminated with the help of such means.
Due to the useful properties of mustard oil is indispensable in the treatment of colds, sore throat, pneumonia, runny nose, bronchitis and maxillary sinusitis. To get rid of maxillary sinusitis, it is sufficient to rub mustard product around the nose, temples and eyebrows. You can put a couple of drops in your nose. Mustard seed oil is used to warm the lower respiratory organs in case of pneumonia. It can also be rubbed on the body and covered with a cloth.
Mustard seed oil has also been proven useful in otitis media with ear pain. In this case, you should drop a couple of drops into the sore ear and put a absorbent cotton in it. After that one should lie down and stay in such a position so that the medicine does not run out.
Also, mustard oil is used to cleanse the liver and treat diseases of the spleen, as well as in the presence of edema.
To get rid of insomnia, you should mix four tablespoons of raw materials and a drop each of lavender, eucalyptus and basil oils. If there are wounds, sprains, abrasions and bruises, you can simply use a mustard squeeze to lubricate. This will help to eliminate all damage to the skin in a short time.
How to take
For the prevention of various diseases and weight loss is recommended to use one tablespoon of the product of processing mustard seeds in the morning half an hour before a meal. However, you should use for this unrefined oil, obtained by cold-pressing method. Application of oil in the form of dressing for hot dishes and salads is made on the basis of an adult. It is not recommended to use more than two tablespoons per day.
At children's age (up to three years) the norm is 0.5 teaspoons of mustard oil. After seven years, the dose can be increased to a whole teaspoon. For teenagers, the amount of mustard product increases to two teaspoons per day.
For adults, the daily rate should not exceed four tablespoons. It is better, of course, to be limited to two. Start therapy with the use of such a remedy with small amounts, using at first half a teaspoon three times a day, and then increase the dose to a whole spoon.
- As already mentioned, the product helps to improve vision. To prepare such a healing recipe, you need to mix a glass of blueberries and 50 ml of mustard squeeze. Grind the ingredients until a homogeneous mass. Store such a mixture in the refrigerator. Take mustard medicine by a tablespoon daily on an empty stomach.
- Excellent helps mustard mass for colds. So, to get rid of viral throat diseases, it is enough to do gargles with slightly heated oil several times a day. In parallel with gargles, it is recommended to use the squeeze internally by a teaspoon three times a day.
- For the treatment of runny nose in adults, one drop of the oil should be put into each nostril. If there are no adverse reactions, the procedure should be repeated several more times during the day.
- Inflammatory processes of the lower respiratory organs, such as bronchitis or pneumonia, can be eliminated by rubbing the chest and back area with a warm oil composition, then wear something warm and go to bed. If a small amount of camphor is added to mustard oil, viscous phlegm will be expelled. This can be supplemented by rubbing the soles of the feet. All these procedures can be done only if the body temperature is not elevated.
- To get rid of colds, steam inhalations are recommended. To do this, boil water in a saucepan, add a small amount of mustard oil and caraway seeds to it. Inhalation is carried out over the steam for five minutes.
- For the treatment of gastritis and ulcers, three times a tablespoon of oil before meals is suitable. This method of therapy may be used only in the period of stable remission.
- When sick joints, a mixture of 50 ml of mustard product and 400 ml of camphor will be therapeutic. This mixture should be heated until homogeneous and cooled. The resulting mass should be rubbed with massaging movements in the painful area of the joint.
- To prepare a remedy for swelling, you need the following components: 30 ml of oil liquid, 5 g of fenugreek fruits and two crushed garlic cloves. Boil all the ingredients until the fenugreek seeds get a dark color. After the cooling of such a medicinal composition, you can treat swollen areas.
- When you have ear pain, you need to put a couple of drops of warm mustard product in the ear. This should be done before bedtime.
- If you mix the oil of mustard fruits and sea salt with small granules, you get a rubbing, which will help cure a wet cough. It is better to do this procedure at night.
- Mustard product is also suitable for the treatment of insomnia. To do this, take 30 ml of mustard seed squeeze and a few drops each of essential oil solution of ylang-ylang, lavender oil and rose oil. Such a remedy is intended for smearing feet and temples.
- The crude concentrated oil can be rubbed into places where involuntary muscle contractions occur. This will help eliminate leg cramps.
- Another useful property of mustard oil is the ability to get rid of worms. To do this, mix a tablespoon of beet juice and the same amount of oil and use the medicine for 30 minutes before meals for seven days. After that, you should take a one-week break and repeat the course of treatment again. According to the reviews of users, we can conclude that mustard product is an excellent anthelmintic.
Mustard oil has a large list of useful properties, but if used uncontrollably and in excess of the specified rates, it can cause harm to the human body. Before using this product for medical purposes, it is recommended to consult a doctor.
Mustard oil application in cosmetology
Mustard seed oil has been used for skin and hair care since ancient times. The girls of the Middle European towns and villages knew about the properties of the product which improved the color of the skin and made the hair lush and strong. Today the use of mustard plant oil is not limited to its inclusion in cosmetics at home. On an industrial scale, various creams and shampoos are made with the addition of this oil. They are in great demand among both women and men.
For the face
The composition of mustard seed extract contains various beneficial substances that will help to get rid of dermatological diseases such as herpes, psoriasis, pustules, seborrhea, dermatitis and others. To get the most out of this product, you need to make a face mask.
For example, to obtain a homemade lotion for the face requires mixing a tablespoon of raw materials with a drop of sandalwood oil, lavender. The resulting mixture of essentials is applied to a pre-cleaned face every day.
You can prepare a remedy for acne. To do this, soak a cotton napkin with mustard extract and put it on the problem areas. After half an hour, you should rinse the remedy off your face. The procedure is performed twice a day. Suitable such a home remedy for all girls with oily skin.
Mustard oil is suitable for preparing a remedy that is used to stop the growth of hair on the face. For this, you need to mix five drops of mustard substance and a tablespoon of wheat flour. Also to this composition you will need to add three drops of lemon juice and a spoonful of water. The resulting mixture applied to the skin of the face. Such a mask should soak for about ten minutes. After that, the remedy should be removed from the face.
A useful mask is prepared from mustard oil, which will help hide the gray hair. To do this, it is recommended to rub the oil in its pure form into the scalp, massaging for a few minutes. Next, you should treat the product on the entire length of the hair and cover the head with a plastic bag and a towel. After 20 minutes you can wash off the mask.
The oil is also used to make a revitalizing hair mask. In this case, 50 g of dry nettle root should be poured 100 ml of mustard oil. This composition should be heated for about seven minutes in a water bath. After that, pour the mask into a glass dish and cover with a lid. For two weeks, the remedy should insist in a dark place. At the end of this period, the mixture should be strained. The resulting liquid should be rubbed into the roots of the hair for half an hour before washing your head.
To prepare a stimulating mask for your hair, you can in a glass container mix a little honey with a tablespoon of red pepper and two tablespoons of the oil. Ready mask should be applied to the skin, cover the head with clingfilm and wrap with a towel. After 40 minutes, wash it off with running water. Shampoo at the same time do not use.
When using a mask based on mustard oil you need to be careful and watch to ensure that the product does not get in the eyes and other mucous membranes. Carry out the described procedures is recommended 1-2 times a week.
In the number of useful properties mustard oil surpasses even prepared from sunflower seeds. This product is used as a salad dressing, added to soups and home baked goods. In Asian countries mustard seed oil is used for stewing vegetables, dressing meat and fish dishes. Cooked with this oil the dish does not acquire a bitter aftertaste. The product gives an original flavor to porridge, vegetable salads or dishes made from cereals.
Baking with the use of mustard oil will turn out lush and get a golden hue and a pleasant aroma when baked. Black mustard seeds are used to produce cooking oil, as it is characterized by a subtle odor and spicy flavor.
Can I fry in mustard oil?
Mustard oil can be used for frying. Moreover, dishes such as pancakes, pancakes or meat will get an unusual taste that will give the usual dishes originality. This oil is not subject to combustion, does not emit smoke, but during frying harmful substances are still formed. This refers to an unrefined product. This oil should not be abused. For frying it is recommended to use refined oil liquid.
Harms and contraindications
Along with a large number of useful characteristics, there are still some restrictions on the use of oil from the fruits of the mustard culture. First of all, we are talking about individual intolerance, as well as the presence of allergies to nuts. Contraindications to the use of this type of oil are diseases such as enterocolitis, gastritis with high acidity, as well as stomach ulcers, pancreatitis, cholecystitis during exacerbation. Pathologies of the myocardium, thyroid gland are also a limitation to the use of such a healing substance.
Usually the internal and external use of the oil does not cause any side effects. Sometimes there may be an allergic reaction in external application.
It is not recommended to combine this substance with processed milk products and fruit. This can lead to diarrhea. After consuming dairy products or fruits, you should wait about two hours before taking mustard oil.
It is important to be cautious about ingesting oil in its pure form, as it is one of the most poisonous essential substances and can provoke kidney and digestive tract inflammation if ingested.
How to choose and store mustard oil
Quality oil, prepared by cold pressing, is sold in a bottle made of dark glass or plastic. When selecting such a product, you should study the labeling. The label of the bottle should contain information about the name of the manufacturer, the brand name and certification of the product. Also on the package should be shown the composition, grade and nutritional value, date of manufacture and expiration date.
Only buy oil from manufacturers whose products have been tested, stored in factory containers, and sold in the store. In the store, too, storage conditions must be observed. Direct sunlight should not be allowed to come into contact with a bottle of mustard oil.
The most useful is considered an unrefined product, obtained by the first pressing. It can be stored for up to a year. After opening the shelf life is reduced to six months. The color of such a squeeze can vary from pale yellow to dark yellow. There may be sediment at the bottom of the bottle, but this does not indicate poor quality of the product.
An unpleasant, extraneous taste may indicate that the product is tainted. If there is a bitterness on the tongue after drinking, there is a tickle in the throat, it is better to refuse to use such raw materials. If the refined oil is cloudy or precipitates, it is also not recommended to eat it. The musty smell of a refined product indicates that the oil is unfit.
How to make mustard oil at home
To prepare your own mustard oil you will need a few tablespoons of mustard, 150 ml of sunflower oil, two egg yolks, 300 ml of 3% vinegar, 25 grams of sugar and spices to taste. Grind mustard with egg yolks. Then add salt and sugar. Add oil in a thin stream, stirring it regularly, and then beat the mixture until it becomes homogeneous. The mixture should turn light in color. As the last step, pour in the vinegar, and then strain the mixture. Homemade dressing is ready, it can be used for vegetable salad.
Interesting facts about mustard
- Surprisingly, mustard is a member of the cabbage family.
- According to some scientists, mustard appeared as early as 5,000 years B.C. in ancient Afghanistan. Some, however, believe that it originated in eastern India and China.
- The Latin name of mustard, "sinapis", is translated from Greek as "harm to eyesight" because tears begin to form when the fruits of the plant are rubbed.
- The mustard bush can be up to three meters high and has a diameter of a little over a millimeter when it comes to seeds. Mustard seed is one of the smallest, while the concentration of useful components in it is the greatest.
- In the tombs of the Egyptian pharaohs, scientists found spicy seeds. They were considered a symbol of good luck.
- Most mustard is cultivated in India.
- In one American state there is even a museum of mustard culture, and the first Saturday in August is considered a mustard holiday.
- At the mustard plant festival held a few years ago in Volgograd, the biggest jar of such dressing was prepared in front of the entire audience. The weight of this jar was more than 150 kilograms.
- In the ninth century, the production of mustard product was an important part of the income in French monasteries. Monks often lived there whose duty it was to prepare mustard dressing for the entire brethren.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only for informational purposes only. Please consult a health care professional before using any of our recommendations. specialist before applying any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."