Porridge of peas: composition, useful properties, recipes
Peas as a culture were popularized by the eastern countries - Tibet, India and China. It is from there it came to Europe and remains today one of the most nutritious, useful and tasty products, used both raw and cooked.
- Composition and calories
- What is the usefulness of pea porridge
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- For Pregnancy
- For breastfeeding
- For children
- Is it possible to eat when losing weight?
- Pea porridge in medicine
- Diabetes mellitus
- For pancreatitis
- When constipation
- For gout
- For the liver
- Hazards and Contraindications
- How to choose peas for porridge
- How to cook pea porridge: Recipes
- With water
- In the multicooker
- Without soaking
- Porridge with meat
- How to cook mashed peas
- Can I Eat Pea Porridge at Bedtime?
- Can I Give Pea Porridge to Animals
- Interesting Facts about Peas
Composition and calories
The culture includes vitamins - E, A, B, PP, necessary for human health, as well as the most important micro- and macroelements - calcium, iodine, iron, fluorine, boron, potassium, sulfur, sodium, magnesium.
Energy value - 85 kcal per 100 grams of cooked porridge with water without adding oil. Protein and carbohydrates are 6.5 and 17 grams, respectively. There are no fats.
What are the benefits of pea porridge?
General health benefits
Speaking about the useful properties of pea porridge, it is difficult to exaggerate them. At least the amount of protein in the composition can be compared to red meat. This is what makes peas the main dish on the table during Lent, when dieting and when allergic to meat products.
The large amount of the amino acid lysine soothes the nervous system, improves mood, fights with stress, and thus has a beneficial effect on the heart and blood vessels.
Vitamin E helps to normalize metabolic processes, stabilize the internal organs, the removal of toxins. Thanks to its beneficial effects on the skin and hair, it is considered the vitamin of youth. The result after the regular inclusion of peas in the diet will not keep you waiting.
Pea porridge includes the entire complex of vitamin B, which strengthens the immune system and increases its resistance to viral diseases. This dish is also recommended for smokers and people who drink a lot of caffeine-containing drinks. B vitamins break down and eliminate toxins.
To improve the body's functioning and get rid of possible problems, you need to include porridge in your diet at least once a week.
- Fights skin problems in the form of pimples, rashes and acne.
- Restores the damaged structure, strengthens and promotes the growth of hair and nails.
- Relieves pain in the abdomen and lower back during the critical days.
- Regulates hemoglobin levels during menstruation.
- Relieves symptoms during menopause.
- Helps with baldness.
- Reduces the risk of prostate diseases.
- Improves potency.
- Favors the growth of muscle mass in sports.
- It is useful when working in harmful industries.
- Stabilizes the hormonal background.
- Reduces the risk of premature birth.
- Has a favorable effect on the development of the fetus.
- Strengthens the developing baby's body.
In this difficult period, eating pea porridge should be treated with caution. They can lead to severe gas, which is fraught with discomfort and severe pain, especially in the late term. In the early term peas can increase toxemia. To avoid this, you can add dill or cumin when cooking. They will reduce the risks of bloating.
For the mother, porridge has only beneficial effects:
- cleanses the blood vessels;
- Thins the blood, thus reducing the risk of thrombosis;
- strengthens the nervous system;
- Improves the function of the gastrointestinal tract.
But you should refrain from eating peas during lactation until the baby is 9 months old. Except for colic, pea porridge will not give a baby anything. Therefore, during this period, a woman should refrain from eating porridge.
Peas are one of the most controversial products in the baby's diet. Pediatricians can not come to a single conclusion, although they draw attention to the useful properties of legumes that help to strengthen the body and fight infections. Pea porridge takes a long time to be digested and excreted by the body. Also, it always contributes to gas formation, which can provoke colic and pain in the child. That is why it is prohibited to give it to your baby up to 9 months of age. And after the child's body becomes accustomed to other fruits and vegetables, you can begin to give porridge from 0.5 teaspoons per day, watching the reaction of the body and the baby's behavior. From the age of 3 there are no contraindications for inclusion in the ration (this dish is given to the child up to twice a week).
Is it possible to eat when losing weight
Pea porridge has long been recognized as the best product for weight loss. Thanks to her, you can not only get rid of extra pounds, but also improve the health of the body, infuse the blood and organs with useful substances.
Following a diet that includes peas is easy and does not bring discomfort and feelings of hunger. It can also replace some familiar and more caloric foods such as potatoes, bread and meat.
In addition to the fact that the porridge is low in calories and no fat, it has a diuretic effect and quickly removes excess fluid from the body without dehydrating it.
For weight loss you can use pea porridge as the main and only dish during days of dieting and as an additional dish during diets. It can be combined with vegetables, and because of its nutritional properties after it for a long time will remain a feeling of fullness. If during snacks eat a tablespoon of porridge, it will reduce the likelihood of eating something sweet or unhealthy for hunger.
Pea porridge in medicine
Due to the variety of micro- and macronutrients in its composition it is not only recommended, but also indicated by doctors for some serious and even chronic diseases. Inclusion of pea porridge in the diet is prescribed for the removal of sand from the kidneys, for high blood pressure and hypertensive crisis, reduced and unstable intestinal peristalsis, osteoporosis. It is also indispensable for people whose work involves heavy physical labor, and athletes.
In case of diabetes.
In the case of both types of disease, pea porridge is shown for several reasons:
- It helps the body to absorb insulin better and faster;
- promotes weight loss and is the best prophylactic against obesity;
- Normalizes the gastrointestinal tract;
- strengthens the immune system.
But as with any serious disease, it is necessary to consult a doctor before using. Peas are forbidden in cholecystitis and nephritis, and this may aggravate diabetes. Therefore, in the presence of these diseases, even taking into account the therapeutic properties of the dish should abandon it.
Important: The glycemic index of pea porridge is 35 units.
In the chronic course of the disease, peas, as well as all legumes, are recommended to be excluded because of the high starch content, which negatively affects the work of the stomach and pancreas. By enveloping the stomach, it disrupts metabolism, which leads to severe pain.
But in the initial stages, peas can be consumed after a special procedure that removes the starch from the fruit. To do this, soak the peas in warm water for at least 3 hours, then rinse with cold water until it becomes transparent. After that, pour water with baking soda for another 3 hours. Cooking after soaking should continue for at least 1.5 hours on low heat.
Use no more than 150 grams per day in the first half of the day. But at any manifestation of discomfort from the pea porridge should be abandoned, as the problem may worsen.
Gastritis is a disease in which the mucous wall of the stomach becomes inflamed. Therefore, any food containing solid fiber and vegetable protein is difficult to digest, provoking the production of large amounts of gastric juice, which can lead to ulcers. This, due to the slowing down of the stomach, leads to increased pain and a worsening of the condition.
But there is no need to give up porridge at all. It is only necessary to reduce the portion size and consume it only in the first half of the day, but not on an empty stomach. It is necessary to protect the body from viruses and infections, against the background of which the pain of gastritis can worsen. You can add turmeric or a few drops of lemon juice when cooking, they will help the stomach digest the food faster.
If you are constipated
Peas are forbidden in chronic constipation.
Pea powder helps in the treatment and prevention of constipation. To do this, you need to grind a small amount of dry peas in a coffee grinder and take a teaspoon twice a day. The only thing to pay attention to is the appearance of bloating. If it appears, the procedure should be abandoned, it can cause a worsening of the problem.
Despite the useful substances and saturation of peas with protein, its composition includes purines, which cause acute attacks of pain and exacerbation of the disease. Therefore, peas in any form should be excluded from the diet.
For the liver.
Macronutrients, which are part of the porridge from peas, can not only remove toxins from the liver, but also contribute to its recovery. And vitamin E supports cellular integrity. That is why pea porridge should be at the top of the list of dishes when taking antibiotics for a long time.
But you should refrain from porridge if you already have problems with the organ or the disease is in remission.
The harm and contraindications
The usefulness of pea porridge is not disputed, even Hippocrates mentioned it in his treatises. But there are categories of people for whom its use is strictly forbidden due to such pathologies:
- Inflammation of the stomach and 12 duodenum. Because of increased gas formation, peas in these diseases can provoke an exacerbation.
- Cholecystitis. Since peas are difficult to digest, it is prohibited to eat porridges and any other dishes made of them.
- Gout. Legumes are catalysts of uric acid in a chronic disease. It contributes to the aggravation of pain and deterioration of the condition in general.
- Diseases of the kidneys and the diuretic system. Accelerates urea production, is a strong diuretic, provokes organ pain.
- Chronic constipation or weak bowels. Inability to cope with a heavy product will clog the intestines.
- Intolerance of any component. Because of the extensive composition of micro- and macronutrients, amino acids and vitamins can cause an allergic reaction.
For all its composition, peas, and, accordingly, all dishes made of them, can give the opposite effect. Most often this happens because of overeating, non-compliance with diets prescribed for a certain disease, as well as because of non-compliance with the doctor's instructions.
How to choose peas for porridge
For the preparation of pea porridge, peas in any form are suitable - whole, crushed or halves. Their condition depends only on the time that will be needed for cooking.
Whole peas should be soaked in cold water for 6-8 hours before cooking. It should swell, absorb as much water as possible and become soft. It is suitable for cooking soups and porridges, when preference is given not only to taste and usefulness, but also to appearance.
Stabbed and halved it cooks faster. Soaking for 1-2 hours will be enough. Ideal for puree soups and porridges.
The main signs of quality peas are:
- Crumbly - peas should be separate from each other.
- Uniformity of color and size.
- The condition of peas: they should be dry and hard.
In this case, the shelf life of dry peas for porridge should not exceed 12 months.
How to cook pea porridge: Recipes
Prepared according to this recipe, porridge is often served in kindergartens and hospitals. This is because it is rich in vitamins and nutrients, which children need, as well as people during rehabilitation or in the postoperative period. It is also very easy to prepare.
Pre-soaked peas for 8 hours rinse under cold water. Pour it into a saucepan, pour water 1:2 respectively. Place on high heat, after boiling - turn it down to minimum. During cooking, it is important to constantly stir the porridge to ensure that it is cooked evenly, as well as not burned on the bottom. After 40 minutes, when the porridge is cooked, turn off the fire, salt and leave under the lid for 10 minutes.
Before serving, you can add a small piece of butter for flavor. You can also sprinkle it with a previously prepared sauté of onions and carrots.
Porridge in water is excellent as a side dish to meat dishes, but do not forget that peas are a nutritious product containing a sufficient amount of protein. Perhaps you should not saturate the dish with another source of protein. Therefore, for the benefit of the body and the figure, it is better to eat porridge as an independent complete dish, adding only vegetables to it.
In the multicooker
Soaking procedure is mandatory. If you want to start the day with porridge, then the peas should be soaked overnight. And in the morning it will be ready for use. It takes a long time to cook porridge, so for people who are used to eating early, you need to get up 2.5 hours before breakfast.
To prepare, you need to wash the peas with cold water, put them in a bowl and pour boiling water 3 cm above the peas. Add salt, turmeric if you have digestive problems. Turn on the multicooker mode "Stew" for 2 hours, cover with a lid. After turning off, you do not need to immediately put the porridge on plates. It needs to stand for 15 minutes in order for it to absorb the maximum moisture and enriched with taste and useful properties.
Despite the fact that legumes are particularly fastidious pretreatment, housewives around the world are in no hurry to exclude them from the daily diet. They have come up with a few tricks to simplify the process if pea porridge is a sudden craving.
- During boiling, add baking soda to the peas at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 2 liters of water. It will then take about 1.5 hours to boil.
- Add sunflower oil to the porridge before it boils. It will make an invisible extra "cover" in the form of a film, thus speeding up the cooking process.
- Add half a potato at the beginning of cooking and remove it 3 minutes after boiling. The starch helps to speed up the boiling of the peas.
- When cooking pea soup, you should put the legumes with the meat in the broth. This way they will be infused with flavor, aroma, and will be ready at the same time as the meat by the time the rest of the ingredients are added.
Porridge with meat
Without soaking in this recipe can not do without, so in advance the peas need to pour water. The number of ingredients can be taken at your discretion.
Cut the pork into pieces and roast for 10 minutes. Add onions, carrots, salt and seasonings and leave to stew without water for 2-3 minutes. Then add peas and pour hot water so that it was 3 cm above the level of all products. Cook should be guided by the readiness of the peas, as well as the state of dilution, which can be adjusted to taste preferences. But pea porridge with meat is delicious and useful in any form - and boiled, and with whole peas.
How to cook mashed peas
Its taste is familiar to everyone since childhood, because in schools, children's camps, sanatoriums - everywhere pea puree was included in the ration. Therefore, if you want to plunge into the early years, you can cook it yourself at home. It does not take long to prepare, and the resulting dish will be a great substitute for mashed potatoes. The only thing you should not forget about is pre-soaking.
Wash the swollen peas, put them in a saucepan and pour water 3 cm above the level. Bring to a boil, remove the first scum, then turn down the heat to minimum. The lid should not cover the container tightly, as this will provoke boiling. Boil the porridge for 1.5 hours, if the water is not enough in the process of cooking - it can be added.
When the peas will be cooked, pour it all off and let them stand for a few minutes, so that they absorb all the liquid and moisture. Add butter, season with salt and pepper, and mash with a shredder or blender until smooth. It is better to eat warm.
Can I eat pea porridge at bedtime?
In the absence of serious health problems and chronic diseases regarding the use of porridge in the afternoon there are no bans. But you can't eat anything at night. It will not add benefit to the body, but only cause discomfort and heaviness and deprive you of sleep. A well-known characteristic of peas is increased gas formation, which can also be a cause of restless sleep. Therefore, including pea dishes in the diet, you should eat them for breakfast or lunch, this way all the heavy vegetable proteins will be digested faster, without causing stomach pains and attacks of bloating.
Can I Give Pea Porridge to Animals
Peas and pea dishes are very useful for animals. They improve the condition of the skin, coat, reduce the likelihood of parasites. For puppies that are weaned from their mother, porridge is the best supplement to maintain health without stress.
According to many experts, various porridges should be included in the diet of a beloved pet. But we must remember that the digestive system of animals and humans is very different. Therefore, the plant proteins that humans are accustomed to are not digested by the stomachs of cats and dogs. It follows that they cannot be fed the same porridge that humans eat. Legumes are good for health and immunity, but you can only include them if you adhere to the following rules:
- Meat products should not be added. Peas themselves are a heavy and nourishing product, so it takes a long time to digest them, and meat products will only complicate the process.
- It is advisable to add vegetables such as bell peppers, carrots and celery. They will start the work of the digestive system and the gastrointestinal tract of the animal, than will positively affect the digestion of peas.
- Start the inclusion of the product in the menu with a teaspoon and closely monitor the animal's well-being and behavior.
- Also, when adding porridge to the daily diet, it is necessary to consult a veterinarian, who, after examination for contraindications, will recommend including peas or abandoning them in the pet's diet.
Interesting facts about peas
- In archaeology, the first traces of peas were found in Switzerland, Germany, Greece and Croatia. They date back to the Stone Age - around the 18th millennium BC.
- The appearance of peas in Russia dates back to the 6th century BC.
- Even for the ancient Chinese, peas were a symbol of wealth and fertility and had to be grown in every home.
- In Poland, newlyweds had to do a dance, holding a container of peas in their hands. The reasoning was that peas would help the family increase in the shortest possible time.
- In the Czech Republic, peas were poured out of a bowl on the bride, and the number of peas left in her dress determined the number of future children.
- The saying "under Tsar Gorokh" comes from the fairy tale about Ivan, who defeated a serpent with the help of a pea. It is used to mean "a long time ago.
- Pea sausage was invented in Germany in times of famine. Bacon and pea flour were used to make it. It was a highly nutritious product, which could not cause hunger for a long time.
- The punishment of children in the form of standing on peas came from Great Britain.
- Thomas Jefferson, the third president of the United States, was a great admirer of peas and was involved in growing and cross-breeding various species.
- A garnish of roasted peas on pork fat was a favorite dish of Henry III.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only information on this website is for informational purposes only. Check with your health care professional before using any of the information. specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors are liable for any possible harm caused by materials."