Cloves (spice): useful properties and contraindications
In almost every home kitchen there is a jar with cloves - a spice with a pungent aroma and memorable taste. Everyone who has once tried dishes with this exotic spice, will not mistake this spice with any other spicy food additive. Cloves have taken root in many national cuisines around the world, but in addition to their outstanding aromatic and gustatory qualities, they have a whole other set of medicinal actions.
- What it looks like and where it grows
- External characteristics
- How the spice is obtained
- Where the spice tree grows
- Types of
- Composition and calories
- Useful properties of cloves
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- In Pregnancy
- For children
- When losing weight
- Cloves in medicine
- Diabetes mellitus
- In pancreatitis
- For gastritis
- For bowel
- For constipation
- For gout
- For colitis
- For the liver
- For hemorrhoids
- For sore throat
- For colds
- The pressure
- For toothache
- For oncology
- In tonsillitis
- With parasites
- Formulation for the treatment of worms in children
- With a runny nose
- When bronchitis
- At prostatitis
- When maxillary sinusitis
- When periodontosis
- For psoriasis
- For cystitis
- With candidiasis
- For flatulence
- For hangovers
- At epilepsy.
- Harm and contraindications
- How to choose and store
- Culinary applications of cloves
- Orange juice
- Pumpkin candied pumpkin with cloves
- Apple mustard
- Beet Caviar
- Sautéed capelin
- Oil of Cloves: Properties and Usage
- Clove in cosmetology
- Interesting Facts
The therapeutic properties of clove tree buds have been known since antiquity, so the spice was actively used in those days as a universal cure for almost all diseases. This spice is an obligatory component of many perfume compositions, and is used in the cosmetics industry. Experienced hostesses to solve some domestic problems also take advantage of the buds with a specific fragrance.
In a word, the sphere of application of cloves is so great that to know about its features will be useful for rational people, who ranked themselves as fans of natural foods and methods of treatment.
How it looks and where it grows
The popular spice is obtained by special processing methods from the buds of the clove tree. This beautiful plant belongs to the Myrtle family, and its historical homeland is considered to be Malaysia and Indonesia. Interestingly, the clove tree blooms twice a year, so an abundant crop of spice buds is harvested twice a season.
- The clove tree is characterized by its branchiness, for which many classify it as a shrub plant.
- It reaches a height of up to 12 m, and during the flowering season it is densely covered with very small purplish-red flowers, which are gathered in semi-column-shaped inflorescences.
- The leaves of the clove tree are dark green and leathery. They are ellipse-shaped.
- When flowering passes, the fruits appear, which botanically are a false berry.
How the spice is obtained
The fragrant clove buds do not immediately become a spice after harvesting from the tree. To get to the dish, they have to go through a long process consisting of the following steps:
- First, the unopened buds are carefully removed from the tree.
- Then they are sorted, selecting the best specimens without damage.
- Then the raw material undergoes a long natural drying process, i.e. they acquire the properties of spice in the sun.
- An indicator of readiness of the product is the appearance of intense odor. During the drying period, the plant material loses about half of its weight.
- Before being sent to the spice market, the buds are ground. This stage of processing is accompanied by a characteristic crackle.
Where does the spice tree grow?
Given the needs of the spice market, the clove tree is now grown on an industrial scale in India and the Indonesian region, which is considered the main supplier of all spices. There are also large plantations in Tanzania, Zanzibar, Sri Lanka and Madagascar.
This is interesting: the spicy taste of the clove bud is distributed unevenly: it is delicate at the very cap, and closer to the petiole becomes stinging.
In nature, there is only one single species of tropical tree, the unopened buds of which are used as a spice. All other plants of the same name are not used in cooking. The ornamental species of cloves belong to the group of herbaceous plants, they are grown for decoration of homestead territories and are an obligatory attribute of official ceremonies and festive events.
Composition and calories
Dried spice buds of the clove tree have a very rich composition. And in terms of vitamin additives, this spice is able to compete with the most modern pharmacy complexes. Therefore, even a minimal portion of the spice in a dish will bring the human body a huge benefit. Although such a rich composition in some diseases can, on the contrary, lead to a worsening of the condition.
The main active components of clove spice:
- Ascorbic acid is responsible for the protective abilities of the immune system.
- A complex of B vitamins ensures the normal condition of the nervous system.
- Beta-carotene after entering the body is converted into retinol, a substance known as vitamin A.
- Essential oils are useful for humans in a number of ways.
- There are mineral elements: phosphorus, selenium, magnesium, zinc, potassium, copper.
- A lot of fiber, which is good for the intestines.
- Protein provides nutrition for muscle tissues.
- Vitamin E or tocopherol is recognized as the strongest antioxidant.
- Fatty acids prevent the deposition of cholesterol on the walls of blood vessels, which has a positive effect on blood circulation.
- Natural sugars provide energy to every cell of the body.
- Vitamin K is necessary for normal hematopoiesis, because the coagulation of the main liquid of the human body depends on it.
In addition to these components, the tiny clove buds contain tannins and many other substances, which are also needed by the body.
The caloric value of a hundred gram portion of fragrant cloves is 323 units. Of course, this figure raises well-founded fears among those who watch their figure. But to consume at one time such an amount of spicy spice can not be a single person. Usually to add a spicy flavor to the dishes, you need only 1 tsp. of ground cloves, which is only 2 grams of pure weight of the product. The energy content of such a portion equals only 7 kcal. Therefore, the aromatic buds of the tropical tree are actively used today in programs for weight loss.
Useful properties of cloves
The rich composition of cloves makes them not only a valuable foodstuff, but also a powerful natural medicine. In home therapy according to folk recipes, the burning spice helps to heal from many diseases, and also serves as an effective preventive measure. To date, the spice has been fairly well researched by scientists. They proved that cloves:
- Is an excellent natural antioxidant.
- Effective in the treatment of worm infestations.
- It has a strong soothing action.
- Relieves toothache.
- Demonstrates excellent antispasmodic properties.
- Has a strong anti-inflammatory property.
- Promotes rapid healing of wounds.
- Successfully copes with almost any kind of fungal flora.
- Normalizes the level of blood pressure.
- As an antipyrogonic, it localizes the signs of flatulence (bloating of the abdomen from increased gas formation).
- As a powerful natural aphrodisiac, increases sexual activity in both sexes.
- It has an expectorant effect.
In addition, the main purpose of this spice is to prevent the development of cancer in its earliest stages. Also, scientists have proved that cloves are effective as a natural hepatoprotector. Therefore, the constant presence of small portions of the spice in food will be beneficial for liver health.
Note: Of particular value is the essential component evengol, which accounts for up to 50% of the composition. This compound is also an active antioxidant.
As can be seen from the description of the composition and properties, spicy cloves can have a positive effect on the work of individual organs and systems. Let's consider what benefits the spice can bring to people of different ages and genders.
The main problem of many modern women is infertility, and the reason for the inability to conceive in most cases is a hormonal imbalance. After all, the main problem of many modern women is considered infertility, and the reason for the inability to conceive in most cases is precisely the hormonal imbalance.
In order to restore normal periods, as well as with gynecological pathologies, folk healers recommend women to drink decoction, prepared according to the following scheme:
- 1 tbsp. buds grind in a coffee grinder;
- Pour a liter of boiling water over the powder;
- Put the mixture on a water bath for 5 minutes;
- When the solution cools, filter it.
Drink a mixture with spice cloves at night for 10 days half a cup.
Cloves are useful as a natural pain reliever. The spice improves the condition of hair, gets rid of acne and pimples. Women who regularly spice up their meals are less likely to get breast cancer.
It is a proven fact that most relish spicy foods are men. Such a predilection for spicy products can not be called a coincidence, because due to anatomical features of the male body needs a constant good blood flow. This is necessary for the production of a normal amount of the sex hormone testosterone. This secret is responsible for everything that is characteristic of men:
- increases libido;
- ensures normal potency;
- regulates the process of spermatogenesis.
Therefore, clove buds (both in whole and ground form) can increase the sexual performance of a man and even cope with the first signs of impotence.
In addition, the spice should definitely be included in the diet of professional athletes and fans of spending a few hours in the gym or on the soccer field. The fact is that cloves relieve spasm and soothe muscles, promote fast recovery after excessive physical exertion. We should not forget that spices form a positive mood by stimulating the production of the hormone of joy - serotonin.
An important point: although the country widely promotes a healthy lifestyle, many men still cannot give up bad habits. If you chew clove buds several times a day, you can, firstly, neutralize bad breath, and secondly, reduce the need for smoking.
The ability of cloves, even in small doses, to increase the tone of the uterus makes it impossible to use it in this important period for every woman. This opinion is held by professional physicians and folk healers. Although the spicy product is saturated with vitamins, and future mothers are in great need of such supplements, it is not worth the risk. The norm of such an ambiguous product is very difficult to choose, so even harmless tea with the addition of cloves can lead to miscarriage.
Since with the mother's milk the baby receives all the necessary substances for the formation of the little body, cloves could take the place of their natural source. In addition, the spice can accelerate the recovery process after childbirth. But at the same time, the specific taste of the product will affect the quality of mother's milk, leading to the rejection of the baby from the breast. Of course, once in a while a nursing mother can make a small spicy variety in the fasting diet, if the baby does not have an allergy to the product. To improve digestion, you can add clove spice in small portions to second courses or broth.
Although pediatricians do not recommend introducing spices into the diet of preschool children, in some cases cloves are used in children's menus. For example, the spice additive in vegetable and meat dishes will bring such benefits:
- will increase intestinal peristalsis, and this will get rid of constipation;
- strengthen the immune system;
- will help in the fight against worms;
- get rid of excessive gas formation;
- Will support the normal tone of the child's body.
The aromatic spice of clove buds is now added to muffins and cakes, cookies and carbonated beverages. You can throw a pinch of spice into the compote of berries or fruits to add flavor.
To correctly calculate the allowable dosage, you can use the following formula: take 3 grams of spice product per 7 kilograms of child weight.
When losing weight
It is proved that clove essential oil stimulates metabolic processes. Therefore, the buds of the tropical tree are quite suitable as an effective means for systematic weight loss. On the basis of the spicy product are prepared cleansing tea and cocktails. Here, one of the popular recipes:
- cinnamon - 1 pinch;
- tea (preferably green, but you can take a variety of black) - 1 tbsp;
- cloves - 3 buds;
- grated ginger root - to taste.
All ingredients pour into a cup, then pour 300 ml of boiling water. The drink should infuse for 15 minutes. It is best to drink tea with cloves in the morning.
Spicy cloves can also be added to a hot lemon-ginger cocktail. Such a drink intensifies the burning of fat and gives good results of weight loss - 2-3 kg per week.
Cloves in medicine
In official medicine, cloves are not considered as an independent remedy, but in combination with basic therapy, folk recipes involving the fragrant spice can be quite used. From the aromatic buds of the tropical tree are prepared traditional medicinal forms: infusions, decoctions, alcohol tinctures. These remedies in home therapy are used both for internal administration and for external treatment. With simple medicines from the spice it is possible to treat with positive therapeutic results simple runny nose and cancer. For practical use, any variants of the following formulations are suitable.
When diabetes mellitus.
The ability of the popular spice to increase metabolism reduces blood sugar indicators in diabetics. With the second type of the disease, patients can, with the permission of the attending physician, take an infusion prepared according to the following recipe:
- 30-40 buds of dry cloves wash, then pour a liter of steep boiling water.
- The vessel in which the infusion is prepared, cover with a lid and top with a towel.
- After 2 hours, strain the solution.
- Store the infusion in a cool place.
- At one reception drink 50-70 ml of the healing drink, but no more. You can mix this amount of infusion with tea or other herbal decoctions.
Folk healers advise to take such an infusion for 5-8 months to achieve a stable therapeutic effect.
Important point: It is desirable in the process of home treatment with clove infusion to visit the doctor regularly, so that the specialist can assess the dynamics of the patient's condition.
In pancreatitis, the use of any kind of spices is not welcome, and, if the doctor allows you to add them to food, the amount of such products is very limited. In addition, the possibility of including spices in the diet depends on the form and severity of the disease itself. Such restrictive measures are explained by the fact that spices irritate the pancreas, stimulate the production of digestive secretions, which results in an additional load on the diseased organ.
In the stable remission stage of chronic pancreatitis, minuscule portions of cloves can be added to food to relieve cramps and prevent cancer.
To this end, you can also prepare and drink an infusion made in a water bath of 3 tsp of cloves and a glass of water. The solution should be allowed to stand for 20 minutes in a water bath. When the infusion cools, be sure to bring the volume to the original amount of liquid part. Drink the remedy on an empty stomach up to 3 times a day.
Immediately we want to say that patients who are diagnosed with gastritis with high acidity and peptic ulcer, medicines and food with the addition of clove buds are contraindicated. But with reduced acidity to stimulate digestion, such medicines can be taken.
For example, a simple recipe for a drink to drink 5 minutes before a meal: ¼ tsp. mix clove powder with exactly the same amount of trikatu (a mixture of black and red pippali and dried ginger) and sweeten this spice cocktail with 1 tsp. honey. This simple remedy stimulates the production of digestive secretions and increases intestinal motility.
For the intestines.
If you add a pinch of crushed cloves to food that is difficult to digest, it will improve intestinal peristalsis and prevent the formation of gas. A simple method can be used: mix 1 tsp. honey with a pinch of clove powder. The spice and honey mixture should be taken immediately before meals.
In case of constipation
The ability of the spice cloves to increase intestinal peristalsis will help normalize stools if you chew the spice bud in your mouth before eating. Adding the spice to food also improves bowel function. In addition, cloves contain fiber, which will also help solve the problem of irregular stools.
In this disease, patients must adhere to a strict diet in which burning spices, which is the class to which cloves belong, should not be used. But to relieve pain in the affected joints, you can externally make compresses and lotions with the spice from a composition prepared from 20 g of spice and 2 bottles of cologne. The solution should be kept in a dark place until it acquires a characteristic brown hue. The procedure is very simple: rub the tincture on the sore spots, and then cover them with plastic wrap. After a few minutes, the pain will pass.
Will help with the pain of gout and arthritis massaging the joint with clove essential oil. To do this, add only 15 drops of clove essential oil to the base oil for massage.
The powerful antibacterial properties of clove spice make its use promising for inflammation of the large intestine. In colitis will help to relieve unpleasant symptoms with a mixture of black and red pepper with a spoon of honey, and then to this trio should be added a pinch of clove powder. The resulting composition should be taken twice a day before meals.
For the liver
Scientists have conducted studies on two groups of laboratory animals with cirrhosis of the liver. One group of subjects was given eugenol-rich clove oil for 9 weeks, while the second group received physiological solution instead of the drug. At the end of the clinical experiments, it was found that the animals who received clove oil had significantly improved their liver condition, and the damaged structures began to recover.
This effect is explained by the fact that the spice protects the diseased organ from oxidative stress, which slows the process of tissue degeneration in cirrhosis. Of course, about the choice of the best recipe for such a serious disease is better to consult with doctors, but for preventive purposes, you can drink tea with the addition of a pinch of spice. If there are no contraindications, you can chew the spice buds.
With hemorrhoids, any burning spices are contraindicated because of their irritating effect on the intestinal mucosa. Therefore, the question of the possibility of including in the diet of sweet-scented clove buds should be decided with a doctor.
In case of sore throat.
If you chew cloves at the initial stage of the disease, this simple method will reduce the discomfort and reduce the intensity of pain in the throat. It is good for sore throat gargle with a composition of sea salt and clove powder, if both components are taken equally and diluted in warm water. A mixture of 1 tsp. honey and a pinch of cloves will reduce inflammation. This sweet and spicy medicine is best to suck up.
When you have a cold.
At the first signs of any respiratory illness, chewing on a clove bud can be used as an emergency treatment. Of course, this method will not completely get rid of viruses and other disease-causing agents, but will significantly ease the condition and relieve the headache.
Very effective for colds is cloves in combination with another spice - cinnamon. They should be mixed in a ratio of 1:4, then to the spice mixture add 3 tsp. buckwheat honey. Pour boiling water over the composition and leave to infuse for 2 hours. It is best to take the medicine at night by ½ cup.
When the pressure
For unstable blood pressure, you have to be very careful when using cloves as a remedy. The fact is that the spice increases blood flow, which means that it will contribute to an increase in pressure in the blood vessels. Therefore, in acute conditions, it is better not to use this product without a doctor's permission. But with hypotension (low BP), the spice can be useful. There are many folk methods that will help to quickly stabilize the blood pressure:
You can simply chew a couple of buds in your mouth for 10 minutes.
A cup of invigorating coffee with a pinch of cloves will not only make the drink taste rich, but also raise your blood pressure.
You can also try to normalize the blood pressure by decoction, prepared according to this scheme:
- Crushed powder of 6 clove buds combine with 2 tsp of brew (any), add 1 tbsp of honey.
- To the resulting mixture add the juice of one lemon.
- Pour aromatic composition with 1/2 liter of steeped boiling water.
- Tonic drink leave for 2 hours to infuse well.
- Drink in one go the whole amount of the infusion.
If there is no time, you can reduce the infusion process to 10 minutes, but then the drink will be less useful components.
If you have a toothache
From the above methods of folk treatment, it is easy to draw a simple conclusion that clove buds can be used as a natural gum, that is, the spice is an excellent alternative to synthetic gum. It eliminates bad breath and relieves pain.
You can also use oil extract of cloves to eliminate toothache. It is necessary to put 3 drops on a cotton swab and then put it on the tooth that bothers you.
In case of oncology.
Spice cloves contain many compounds that have antioxidant power. But the main asset of the spice buds is the presence of the component eugenol, which blocks the development of foreign cells. In the encyclopedia of folk recipes there are many schemes of treatment of cancer diseases of different localization with the use of cloves. But the simplest method of chewing the buds shows almost the same effectiveness as complex compositions of dozens of components. In the process of chewing the plant raw material, valuable esters are released in large concentrations, they enter the digestive tract, and then are absorbed by the intestine. Therefore, the therapeutic effect is on all organs, starting with the oral cavity.
Infusion from gastrointestinal cancer can be prepared according to the classic recipe: pour a glass of boiling water over 1 tsp. of crushed clove buds. After 15-20 minutes, the drink will infuse, it must be strained and taken immediately.
You can slowly chew whole clove buds, and then swallow the saliva saturated with useful components. No less effective with tonsillitis is an infusion for gargling the throat. It is prepared with a glass of boiling water and a dozen buds. After combining the components, cover the dish to allow the solution to infuse well. Gargle the throat up to 4 times.
Cloves are in the list of the most effective natural remedies to combat parasites. Huge popularity around the world enjoys the following recipe, which will not leave a chance for uninvited guests.
- Take several handfuls of green walnuts.
- Pour a liter of vodka over the unripe walnuts.
- Add 50 grams of wormwood and 20 grams of clove powder. Within a month, the drug will be brought to the point of readiness in a cool place without access to light. Shake the container with the tincture regularly.
- After straining the anthelmintic tincture, take 20 ml three times a day.
Note: This composition for the treatment of worm infestation in children is not suitable.
Composition for the treatment of worms in children
It is worth noting that cloves are excellent against all kinds of parasites. To treat children, prepare a decoction from a list of the following ingredients:
- garlic - 2 cloves;
- ginger - 2 slices from the root;
- vinegar - 2 tsp;
- cloves - 5-6 buds.
How to prepare the medicine:
- Grind all the listed plant components.
- Pour the resulting mass in vinegar.
- Add a glass brought to a boil water.
- When the composition infused, which takes 4 hours, take it three times a day for 2 tbsp.
This is interesting: There is evidence that the Chinese used cloves to combat worms in the III century. In our pharmacies you can buy over-the-counter herbal complex "Troychatka", which includes cloves.
Cloves have an excellent antiedematous property. Therefore, a runny nose of any nature of origin can be cured quickly with the help of this spice. Tincture for the treatment of rhinitis is prepared from such products:
- lemon and orange - half a fruit each;
- cloves - 7-10 buds;
- vodka - 200 ml;
- ground cinnamon - 1 tsp.
You will also need about 200 ml of plain water.
Scheme of preparation:
- Chop the citrus fruit finely, pour all the water and bring to a boil.
- Add to the solution of spices, after it cools.
- Add vodka to the mixture.
- Keep the infusion in a cool and dark place.
- Take 1 tbsp. 3-4 times in an acute condition.
With bronchitis with a strong cough, the following remedy will help: mix clove oil (5 drops) with 1 tsp. honey, add garlic pulp from one clove. Such a mixture is recommended to take before going to bed.
When productive, that is, wet cough, you can prepare a tea of 1/2 tsp. ginger powder, and cinnamon and cloves should be taken ¼ tsp. each. All the ingredients are mixed, and then pour a glass of boiling water. Before drinking, you can add a little honey to the tea to soften the taste.
Treatment with medicinal herbs for prostatitis is long, so you will have to be patient to achieve the maximum therapeutic effect. Prepare a healing composition is not difficult according to this recipe: 1 tsp of clove powder pour a glass of hot milk. It is best to use a thermos. The composition should insist for 2 hours, then be sure to strain it, add 1 tsp. cinnamon and honey.
Drink ½ cup at a time regardless of the time of the meal.
Important: Milk shake with cinnamon is useful to take with a preventive purpose from inflammatory processes of the genitourinary system, low potency, to relieve stress.
If you have maxillary sinusitis
When an inflammatory process of the maxillary sinuses will help this simple remedy: in a large spoon with water, place several clove buds, hold them for a couple of minutes over the fire. When the liquid cools, you can drop it into each nasal passage. As practice shows, this remedy provides an exit of pus without the use of painful medical manipulations. This recipe can also be used for adenoids.
With periodontal disease
Periodontal disease, if not treated, threatens the loss of teeth. To cope with this common disease in dentistry, homemade toothpaste will help: it is necessary to mix the flour of the following herbal ingredients with ordinary tooth powder: marjoram, 6 clove buds and badanum. It is best to use a coffee grinder. Brush your teeth with the prepared mixture during the usual morning hygiene procedure.
Cloves are considered one of the most aggressive spices. It does an excellent job of cleansing the skin of microflora, this spice is able to help with psoriasis. Using a decoction or infusion to treat problem areas, you can clean the skin and accelerate the healing of wounds. A concentrated solution of 1 tablespoon of cloves and a glass of boiling water is prepared. After a two-hour infusion, the remedy can be used as directed.
You can prepare a "Chinese ointment" of wormwood, linseed and cloves at home.
- All these herbal ingredients are ground to a powder.
- Take exactly ½ tsp. of each ingredient and mix it.
- A substance will be obtained, which should be smeared on problem areas.
With inflammation of the bladder, which often affects women, any spices, including cloves, are prohibited for use.
In case of candidiasis.
Cloves are excellent as an active fighter against fungal infection. After all, candida is caused in the home by bread, beer, sugar. To solve this unpleasant problem, you need to buy clove spice powder or grind the buds in a coffee grinder. Take the spice daily on an empty stomach, 1 tsp. Drink such a specific medicine with warm water.
Those who are prone to increased gas formation should simply add some cloves to food or drinks. The spice stimulates digestive processes and prevents bloating of the stomach. Therefore, a diet with the inclusion of fragrant cloves will help to quickly forget about the problem.
With a hangover
After abundant feasts with alcoholic beverages, a hangover syndrome occurs in most citizens. Many even have a characteristic smell from the mouth. Fix the situation in a minute will help a couple of clove buds. They should be chewed slowly, swallowing your saliva. By the way, this simple method eliminates the headache that often accompanies a hangover, and will help get rid of cravings for alcohol. When you have a desire to drink strong drink, you should chew cloves. A mixture of salt and cloves, diluted in a glass of milk, will cure the headache.
In severe neurological disorders, as well as in mental illness, spices should not be used in any form. In the case of epilepsy, such a product can cause a seizure.
Although most of the recipes given here have not received scientific confirmation of their effectiveness, they have been tested by centuries of practice of folk healers.
Harm and contraindications
Although cloves have a range of beneficial effects, the spice can not always be used for treatment. There are a number of weighty contraindications that impose restrictions on the ability to use the spice for cooking. This list includes the following conditions and pathologies:
- Childhood under 3 years of age;
- period of breastfeeding;
- Individual intolerance to the product;
- Ulcer disease in the stage of exacerbation;
- Allergy to any irritants in the acute phase.
These are absolute contraindications. To them, you should also add restrictions to the intake of spices associated with the exacerbation of gastrointestinal pathologies. You should not consume spicy food during the treatment of cardiovascular pathologies. You should be very careful with spicy foods after 50 years of age, because at this age, arterial hypertension already begins to show itself.
With any chronic processes also need to be careful in supplementing the diet with spices.
How to Choose and Store
For an error-free choice of a quality spice, it is enough to remember a few simple rules:
- Quality buds are slightly oily and have a red-brown hue.
- It is better to buy whole buds than powder, because processed spice spoils quickly.
- The bud should be flexible. Dried specimens do not have as persistent an aroma as fresh buds.
- It is very easy to check the quality of cloves: throw the bud into the water. If it will lie horizontally on the surface - there is nothing useful in it. A good bud will float in the water in an upright position with the stem down.
Another test: place the bud between two sheets of paper. If oily spots remain - the spice is of high quality.
How to store the spice
- Whole clove buds will retain their nutritional and medicinal properties for up to a year.
- Powdered spice is suitable for use for 6 months.
- The essential oil can be stored for 2 years.
Culinary Uses of Cloves
In the world cuisine, cloves steadily occupy the leading position. If in ancient times it was valued as gold, today you can buy this spice in any store. Its taste, which is spicy and exquisite, has a lasting memory and cannot be mistaken for any other flavour. Cloves are added to the following dishes:
- baked goods;
- meat and fish dishes.
Norm of cloves, depending on the category of the dish varies from 1-2 buds per liter of liquid in soups and broths, up to 4-5 pieces per kilogram of dough. Bookmarking is always done when the dish is almost ready.
A few recipes involving cloves
- citrus fruit - 1 pc;
- sugar - 1 cup;
- citric acid - 1 tbsp;
- water - 2,5 l;
- A pinch of cloves (but you can be guided by your own taste).
- In a pitcher pour sugar and lemon juice.
- Chop the orange into orange slices.
- Turn on blender and turn all the contents of the jug into a smooth mass.
Pumpkin candied pumpkin with cloves
- sugar - 1 kg;
- orange - 1 pc;
- pumpkin - 1 kg;
- cinnamon - 1 stick;
- cloves - 2 buds;
- water - 700 ml.
Algorithm of action:
- Peeled pumpkin cut into 2 cm pieces.
- In a large container, boil a syrup of water, sugar.
- Put the pumpkin in the syrup, then add the cinnamon and cloves.
- Squeeze the juice from the orange with the zest and add to the syrup.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Repeat this procedure three times.
- When the pumpkin in syrup has cooled, spread the candied fruit on parchment and dry in oven at 50°C.
- Dip the ready dessert in powdered sugar.
This spice is sure to please home gourmets. To prepare it is very simple:
- It is necessary to take 3 sour apples, cut them into halves. Take out the core.
- Place the apples in a saucepan, and stew with a little water until soft.
- When the fruit has cooled, remove the skins, and then use a blender to turn them into a puree.
- To the resulting mass add 5 tbsp. vinegar, 2 tbsp. sugar, 4 clove buds and a few peppercorns. Salt should also be added, but not more than 1 tsp.
- Stir everything and again put it on the fire. Boil the fragrant mass for 2-3 minutes.
- When the mixture cools, pour it back into the blender, add 3 tbsp of dry mustard. Once again turn on the blender.
- Allow the finished product to stand in the fridge.
Ingredients for 0.5 kg of beets:
- ground cloves and coriander - ¼ tsp each;
- water - 1 cup;
- lemon - 1 pc;
- garlic - 8 cloves;
- sugar - 1 tsp;
- onions and carrots - 400 gr;
- vegetable oil;
- salt, pepper.
- Grate boiled beets and carrots, and chop onion and garlic.
- Heat a frying pan, add oil. Then fry the onion and garlic until lightly browned.
- Next send carrots into the pan, and after 2 minutes, pour water and cover the pan with a lid. In this form, stew until the carrots are ready.
- Lastly, add the beets, cloves, and the rest of the ingredients. At the very end of cooking, salt the dish.
Appetizer by this recipe is excellent for everyday table.
It takes minutes and the following list of products to make a great fish snack:
- fresh wash - 500 g;
- clove buds - 5 pcs;
- water - 1.3 cups;
- laurel - 3 leaves;
- coriander - 3 tsp;
- pepper - 15-20 pcs;
Sequence of steps:
- Rinse capelin with heads and mix with spices.
- In the last turn pour salt.
- Pour clean, filtered water over it.
- Put the fish in the marinade in the fridge for 12 hours.
The capelin cooked in this simple way will make a great duet with boiled potatoes. But you can make delicious sandwiches for the holiday table.
Clove oil: properties and uses
Clove oil extract has the widest spectrum of action.
In cosmetology, the product is used for the following purposes:
- treatment of pustules and dermatitis;
- elimination of cellulite;
- Combat age-related changes in the dermis;
- Hair treatment and strengthening.
In medicine essential oil is used:
- for soothing baths for stress;
- therapeutic massage;
- rubbing of sore joints and spine;
- Aromatherapy sessions;
- Inhalation for colds.
Clove essential oil is in demand in sports medicine, as it has a pronounced analgesic effect. It is used to relieve the pain of injuries in athletes.
Clove essence is enriched cosmetics, shampoos, lotions, soaps, added to massage oil and bath salts. The standard proportions scheme: 2 drops of essential product in 10 ml of base.
At home, clove oil helps to get rid of insects and mosquitoes.
Prepare clove oil at home you can make your own. This requires a base - olive oil and spice powder. The components are taken at a ratio of 5:1.
Note: A large niche clove oil occupies in the perfume industry.
Cloves in cosmetology
Spicy clove buds have found wide application in cosmetology. In the production of various care products, the spice is added to the composition. But cosmetologists prioritize the essential oil, obtained by double distillation from the buds of the tropical tree. The oil extract is considered a universal remedy for most skin and hair problems. With regular use of the natural product, the following effects are observed:
- The skin of the face acquires a healthy shade;
- It is possible to remove acne and pimples;
- Muscle tissues become firm and elastic;
- The hair shaft is strengthened and hair growth is increased;
- Dandruff disappears.
Here are a few simple ways that will not take much time, but will help to eliminate small cosmetic defects.
- Clean the skin from pimples and blackheads will help daily wiping the dermis with a tampon moistened with clove oil. The antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of the preparation will quickly cope with this difficult task.
- You can try another effective remedy for acne: add a few drops of clove essential oil to olive oil (1 tsp.). Warm the fragrant mixture a little, and then moisten a cotton pad with it and treat your face.
- Refresh the complexion and remove fine lines will help infusion made from 1 tsp. clove powder and a glass of boiling water. It is desirable to infuse the solution for 1-2 hours, and then wipe the surface of the face.
- If you add clove essential oil to your daily shampoo, hair will get stronger, and dandruff will disappear after 2-3 sessions of the traditional wash.
- Rejuvenating mask is prepared on the basis of honey. You should take 1 tbsp. product, warm it up a little, add a few drops of lemon juice and clove oil. Apply the mask to the face for 20 minutes. Then wash off with warm water.
- Another very effective mask will help to rejuvenate the ladies of age. The base is gray cosmetic clay (5 g). Add to it 10 ml of pomegranate juice and 3 drops of clove oil. Mix all the components, and the resulting mass is immediately applied to the face. After 20 minutes, wash off the mask.
- Arab traders brought cloves to Europe only in the 4th century, but they did not use the spice for canning until three centuries later.
- For a long time, the place of cultivation of this wonderful spice was unknown, until the Portuguese discovered this region. However, in the 18th century, the French took over and exported from the Moluccas Islands seeds and seedlings of the tropical tree to their colonies in Mauritania.
- Mountain climbers always drink tea with cloves when climbing to the tops of mountains to improve the oxygen supply to the brain.
- In the Middle Ages, in times of plague and cholera epidemics, cloves were actively used as a disinfectant. To avoid contracting the infection, people made a necklace from the spice buds and wore it.
- Cloves are officially included in the herbal pharmacopoeia of Great Britain.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only. Please consult with a health care professional before using any of our recommendations. medical professional before using one of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."