Eggshell: useful properties and contraindications
Eggs are a very popular product, which is used everywhere and all the time. Even children can prepare various elementary dishes from it. At the same time, many professional recipes of haute cuisine are not without eggs. Every day all over the world people throw away eggshells, not even thinking that this ingredient can be used in a useful way. For example, it can be included in the food of poultry and other animals because it improves their growth and health. It is used as a fertilizer and sometimes even as a bleach.
- Composition and calories
- What are the benefits of eggshells
- The benefits of chicken egg shells
- Benefits of quail eggshells
- How to give eggshells in children
- Can pregnant women egg shells
- How to take the shells as a source of calcium
- Medicine application of eggshells
- Eggshells in cosmetics
- For Face
- For hair
- Harm and contraindications
- How to store the eggshells correctly
- How to grind the eggshells into powder
- Eggshells as fertilizer for the garden
- Can we give animals egg shells
- Interesting facts about the eggshells
Composition and calories
- Calories - 0 kcal.
- Proteins - 0 g.
- Fats - 0 g.
- Carbohydrates - 0.
The shell of any bird's egg consists of 90% calcium carbonate. It also contains manganese, molybdenum, copper, fluorine, iron, silicon, selenium, phosphorus, sulfur, zinc and other elements important for humans - a total of 27. The shell also contains water, nitrogenous and inorganic substances.
What are the benefits of eggshells?
Eggshells are not only useful as soil fertilizer or food for animals, but they can also improve human health. This ingredient is quite widely used in alternative medicine, in recipes, many of which are now even forgotten.
At one time, ancient healers were well aware of the properties that eggshells have. They derived much of their knowledge from observing animals. Some animals consume eggs and at the same time eat them together with the shells. Over time, when people had already domesticated birds, they noticed that martens who were able to sneak into the hen houses would eat the eggs along with the shells. Today, experts note that animals sometimes may not even finish the inner contents of the eggs, but they eat the shell completely. Females especially like it, because the substances contained in the product support the body during the period of nurturing the offspring.
The benefits of the shells of chicken eggs
- Is a source of calcium. Calcium is necessary for the body to maintain bone health. The human body itself does not produce this element, so it is necessary to include in the diet products that contain this vital component. This is especially important for children and people over the age of 50, as these age groups are at greater risk of bone damage. Studies have shown that including ground eggshell powder in the diet can prevent osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. The high levels of dietary calcium in this product promote better bone density and prevent bone loss.
- Saturate your teeth with essential minerals. Eating sugary foods regularly can lead to demineralization of tooth enamel. When large amounts of sugar enter the mouth, it is much easier for bacteria to attack your teeth. Because eggshell powder is rich in calcium, it can be used to remineralize teeth.
- It relieves joint pain. Vigorous physical activity in one's youth often affects the joints at a more mature age. At 35-40 years of age, a person may begin to experience painful sensations precisely in the joints. In this case, it will be useful to include in your diet crushed shells, which can alleviate this condition. For example, you can prepare a remedy, which, in addition to the crushed shells, will also be present and apple cider vinegar. It will help to dissolve the shells well and give the remedy a homogeneous consistency. This mixture should be applied periodically to painful areas - it will help soothe inflammation.
- It fights skin irritation. A solution of crushed eggshells and apple cider vinegar can also help get rid of skin irritation, reduce itching and redness. Apply the solution to the area of irritation, and it is important to wait until the mixture dries completely, and only then wash it off.
- Softens the skin. Crushed eggshells help to soften the skin, as it is able to exfoliate dry and dead cells. In addition, calcium actively promotes their regeneration.
- Reduces the acidity in coffee. Coffee is a drink that energizes the body for the day. However, it can have an overly strong effect on some people because of its high acidity, especially if it is consumed on an empty stomach. In this case, ground shells can be used to reduce the acidity of the coffee. When you add it to the drink its taste will be brighter, and the bitterness will be gone, because calcium is an acid neutralizer.
The benefits of quail egg shells
- Prevents hypertension. Calcium, as already mentioned, is the basis of bone structure. But, in addition, this mineral helps to remove sodium from the body, thereby preventing hypertension.
- Normalizes the work of the blood vessels. The interaction of calcium with magnesium normalizes the work of blood vessels and affects the functioning of the muscles. Magnesium contained in this product participates in the assimilation of thiamine and various acids, and also regenerates cells.
- It strengthens blood vessels and helps in the absorption of useful substances. The product is also rich in silicon, which supports the health and strength of blood vessels, as well as having an effect on bone tissue. It helps to absorb fluoride, magnesium, and to eliminate chlorine from the body.
- Supports metabolic processes. Molybdenum present in the shell supports normal processes related to the formation of chemical substances. It participates in the metabolism of carbohydrates and fats, in the removal of free radicals from the body. It also affects the formation of red blood cells and the strength of dental enamel.
- It strengthens the immune system. Consumption of the shells will help maintain normal functioning of the nervous and endocrine systems. Manganese, which strengthens blood vessels, and iron, which provides saturation of blood vessels with oxygen, are contained in optimal quantities in this product. Also, the shell will help strengthen the health of cartilage and improve immunity.
- It improves brain activity. The shells are rich in selenium, zinc and phosphorus. Therefore, when consuming this product, brain function improves and digestion processes are normalized. It also stimulates energy production and increases the amount of collagen.
- It is rich in amino acids. They help to slow aging, improve mood, strengthen bones, normalize blood cholesterol and support immunity.
How to give eggshells to children
Before using the eggs should be washed in warm water with soap and water and rinse thoroughly. The shells can also be specially sterilized, but this is not necessary if you are using product from your healthy chickens.
If the shells are used to make a vitamin remedy for children, they should be placed in boiling water for 5 minutes. You can use the shells of boiled eggs because they have already been sterilized during cooking. Allowed daily dosage - 1.5-3 grams (depending on age). Up to 1 year old eggshells are given in the form of powder on the tip of a knife.
It is recommended to use a mortar to grind it into a powder, because the use of electrical devices, such as coffee grinders, causes the ingredient to lose some of its active properties. It is better to consume the product in the morning as part of porridge or with cheese.
Can pregnant women eat eggshells?
Pregnant women will be very useful to include eggshells in their diet, because it is during this period, the female body needs a boost of calcium. The lack of this element can provoke the weakening of the uterus muscle and lead to difficulties during childbirth. Calcium will have a positive effect on the body of both the expectant mother and the baby, because it supports normal bone development.
How to take eggshells as a source of calcium
Consider how to use eggshells as a source of calcium:
- Add a similar amount of lemon juice to the powder (one-third of a tablespoon). Wait for a lush foam to form.
- Consume the mass and drink clean warm water.
Recommended daily dosage:
- Children under 7 years of age - up to 1/4 tsp. spoonful;
- From 7 to 13 years - 1/2 tsp;
- From 13 years allowed to eat up to 1 tsp. a day.
It is recommended to use the remedy in the morning meal.
The use of eggshells in medicine
90% of the eggshells is calcium, and it is of high quality. This element is very well accepted and absorbed by the body, much better than preparations intended for it. People have known about the therapeutic properties of this product for a long time.
Studies by scientists from different countries have shown that the composition of the shell has a great resemblance to human bones and teeth. Therefore, with regular consumption of this product you can avoid osteoporosis and calcium deficiency. In addition, it can act as a prevention of cavities, problems with the spine and gums, gets rid of irritability and allergies. Eggshells can significantly alleviate or completely eliminate asthma attacks. In the field of folk medicine, there are quite a few recipes using eggshells, with the help of which you can get rid of ulcers, burns, diarrhea and gastritis.
Eggshells in cosmetology
Cosmetic remedies based on the eggshells have a positive effect on the skin, and the effect is not inferior store cosmetics. As a rule, the eggshells are used in 2 directions. First, to maintain the beauty and health of the skin use hyaluronic acid contained in the shells. Second, the product is ground into powder and added to masks.
Mask for dry skin
- Yolk (raw) - 1 pc;
- powder from shells - 1 tsp;
- vegetable oil (unrefined) - 1 tsp;
- lemon juice - 1 tsp;
- lemon peel (finely grated) - 1 tsp.
How to prepare and apply:
- Mix the egg yolk with the zest and let the mixture infuse for about half an hour.
- Add the powder, oil, lemon juice and mix well.
- Apply it on your face.
- Wait 30 minutes. Wash your face with water.
The mask can be done up to 3 times a month.
- powder from the shells - 1 tsp;
- banana - 1 pc;
- natural cream - 2 tbsp;
- 2 tbsp. heavy sour cream
- Starch (potato) - 1/2 tbsp.
How to prepare and apply:
- Pressing the banana with a fork, knead it until a homogeneous mass. Then mix the mass with the starch and cream. After that, add the sour cream.
- The resulting mixture is divided into 2 portions.
- In the first portion add the powder and mix thoroughly.
- On a cleansed face, apply the mask with the powder.
- When it dries, apply the second portion of the mixture to the face. The face can also be covered with a gauze cloth.
- Wait for 30 minutes. Wash your face with water.
Hair Strengthening Mask
- egg - 1 pc;
- powder from the shells - 1 tsp;
- cucumber - 1 pc;
- olive oil - 2 tablespoons.
How to prepare and apply:
- Grind the cucumber to the consistency of a fine pulp.
- Add powder, egg and olive oil.
- Rub the mask into your hair.
- Wait 15-20 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a light shampoo.
As a preventive measure, you can use this tool up to 2 times a month.
Harm and contraindications
An important fact is that in case of violation of the rules of preparation of the product, it can harm the body. In this case, a number of side effects or even diseases can occur.
Large pieces of shells when entering the digestive system can damage internal organs, thereby provoking ulcers or gastritis. Therefore, when grinding this ingredient, it is very important to make sure that no large particles remain.
In addition, there is always the possibility of contracting salmonellosis. Therefore, it is necessary to thoroughly clean and rinse the eggs to avoid this dangerous infection.
It is also worth focusing on the contraindications. The product is contraindicated:
- In the case of an overabundance of vitamin D;
- urinary and cholelithiasis;
- intestinal obstruction;
- In cases of cardiac arrhythmia;
- In case of ulcer or gastritis;
- in case of hypertension.
Eggshells are not a panacea. Of course, if properly processed it can enrich the body with high-quality calcium. But it is not necessary to dwell on this product, since there are other, no less high-quality sources of useful substances.
How to store the eggshells properly
When storing eggshells, sometimes it happens that after some time the product spoils, from it begins to emit a rather unpleasant smell. To avoid this problem, the eggshells should be thoroughly washed, and this should be done until the protein residue dries out. Also, as the product accumulates, it is necessary to calcine the raw material in the oven.
Depending on the condition of the shells and vary the conditions for storing the product. Whole, calcined shells should be stored in a dry place without access to light. You should put the product in a box (cardboard) or in a bag made of cloth. If we talk about the powder, it is recommended to store it in glass jars, airtight, in a cool place without access to light. Whole shells can be stored for 12 months, while the powder can be stored for 6 months.
In addition, the product can be stored in the refrigerator. In these conditions, it can be stored for a very long time, but only if the humidity is normal and if there are no temperature fluctuations. The shells can be placed in the freezer, which will allow them to be stored indefinitely.
It is important to know that the powder can quickly become damp, even if placed in a jar.
How to grind egg shells into powder
It is recommended to use raw eggs for this purpose, because heat exposure to the shell will lead to the loss of some important micronutrients, and the benefits of the product will be greatly diminished.
How to prepare:
- In hot water with soap wash the eggs well.
- Pour out the insides and thoroughly rinse the inside.
- Dip the shells in a solution (baking soda - 1 tbsp, warm water - 1 l) for 10 minutes. This will help to clean it better.
- On the inside, remove the soft film.
- Place the shells on a frying pan or in an oven (temperature up to 100 ° C) for 5-6 minutes. This will keep them safe from infection.
- Grind the shells with a mortar.
The powder should be stored in an opaque container (glass) in a well-ventilated and cool place (up to 6 months).
Eggshells as a fertilizer for the garden
A set of useful elements contained in the eggshells are actively involved in the life of all living things. They are also very useful for plants, especially during their active development, so the use of such fertilizers has a favorable effect on the level of yield, and also improves the overall condition of the culture. The effectiveness of the means on the basis of the shells also demonstrate their effectiveness on the example of indoor plants, especially since in this case they do not need the standard chemical additives.
Here are a few advantages of fertilizers based on eggshells:
- a large amount of calcium;
- Optimal concentration;
- an excellent way to lower the acidity of the soil;
- a very cheap method of fertilization;
- environmentally friendly method, since the shells are a natural product.
This set of qualities makes eggshell fertilizer a great organic additive, which is also available all year round.
Let's break down how to properly prepare the fertilizer, especially since there are some significant nuances in this case. Before you begin, you should collect a sufficient number of eggshells. For 1 sq.m. should be made shells of 30 eggs, for this reason, you need to start preparing in advance. The best option would be to use the shells of domestic eggs, but it is not necessary (in the absence of such, they can be purchased in the store). Brown shells are usually thicker, so they can be taken in smaller quantities.
It is not recommended to use the shells of boiled eggs, as some useful components may not be preserved in it. To avoid unwanted effects, it should be dried on the stove or heated in the oven. When the shells have dried and become as brittle as possible, they can be left in storage for some time.
Prepared shells can be stored for about 12 months. You can start harvesting at any time, and it is worth noting that the best option will be to use the shells of winter wear, because at this point the eggs are particularly strong. Crushed raw materials are used not only for fertilizing plants. This product can also be included in the menu of animals, especially it will be useful for birds, as it will help to strengthen their bone structure.
The shells can be used in different ways. The simplest is considered to be scattering the crushed raw material around the plant. But this method has its disadvantages. For example, various animals can settle in the wet shells. In addition, it is possible to get a cut while working the ground or harvesting. The hulls have sharp edges that can harm the feet, so this method is not recommended. With all this, the assimilability of substances will be at a low level. It is worth noting that in order for the plants to get full nutrition, about a hundred eggs per 1 sq.m. should be made, which limits the use of such fertilizer on a large scale.
The second method of applying eggshells for fertilization is the creation of a special solution. This method is more expensive, but it is more effective. The process of preparing the infusion:
- Finely grind the shells.
- Pour the shells with water (3 liters of water per 30 shells).
- Let the solution infuse (3-4 days), while it should be periodically shaken and stirred.
- Infusion strain (this procedure is optional).
If we talk strictly about vegetable crops, as a rule, egg shells begin to be applied during the period of soil digging. It is recommended to combine fertilizers and mineral fertilizers. To reduce the acidity of the soil, it is necessary to apply a certain amount of powder. For 1 sq.m. will be enough 50 shells (50 eggs). It is not necessary to make the whole volume once, but it is better to divide it into 3 portions.
The original way is also to grow seedlings directly in the shells. For this purpose, the lower part of the clean shell is used, in which holes are made at the bottom with the help of a needle. The seedlings can be grown in this way for a very short time. This method is well suited for greens. Planting a plant directly in a container so that the roots do not suffer.
Crops that can be nourished in this way are tomatoes, eggplants, potatoes, peppers (sweet peppers), radishes and cabbage (cauliflower).
Can we give animals eggshells?
As far as dogs are concerned, it is allowed to give them eggshells. However, you can feed the animal only powder. It is not recommended to make your own powder, and it is better to buy a ready-made vitamin and mineral complex, because it contains the right substances in an optimal ratio. Experts recommend using preparations sold in pet stores and veterinary pharmacies.
If we talk about cats, then for them the shell is also not contraindicated. But at the same time, you can include the product in the diet of the pet only after the permission of the veterinarian. If the cat has urolithiasis or is prone to it, eggshells should not be given to the cat, otherwise it may lead to a worsening of the condition. As with dogs, the eggshells can be offered to the pet in crushed form. Cats can have a pinch of the powder added to their food up to 3 times a week.
Interesting facts about eggshells
- Eggshells can be used to remove dyes from factory waste. They are excellent adsorption agents, can absorb chlorophenolic dyes from wastewater created by the textile industry, purify water.
- Charred eggshells are more effective catalysts for biodiesel synthesis than sodium or potassium hydroxide.
- Eggshells can be used to make wollastonite. It is used to make ceramics, paints and special cements. In addition, wollastonite is used in the creation of dentures.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only Information on this site is provided solely for educational purposes. Consult a specialist before applying any of the recommendations. specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors are liable for any possible harm caused by materials."