Iodized salt: useful properties and contraindications.
Salt - this is one of the most indispensable products that are always present on the table. No culinary dish does not do without it. Without salt you can not taste the food. Nowadays, in stores you can find a huge variety of salt: black, regular table salt, iodized, with added seasoning, sea salt, even diet. With so many choices, it is important to know which one is useful, not just beautiful with its packaging and the qualities listed on it.
- What is the difference between iodized salt and ordinary salt
- Which one is healthier
- Composition and calories
- What is useful for iodized salt
- General Benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- For children
- For weight loss
- Is it possible to irrigate the nose with iodized salt?
- Cosmetic use
- Salt Bath
- Homemade soap
- Anti-cellulite treatment
- Hair Mask
- Nail Bath
- Bath for slimming
- Iodized Salt Cooking Applications
- Can it be used for salting
- Harm and Contraindications
- How to choose and store
- Interesting facts about salt
When choosing salt, first of all we should pay attention not only to the fact that it is one of the oldest spices in the world, which enhances taste, but also to the importance of getting with it the human body the necessary and important trace elements. And one of these important elements is iodine, which is now present in many varieties of salt. Doctors categorically state that all salt, which is used in food and cooking, should be iodized. Only then can the lack of much needed iodine in the body be compensated, especially in those regions where a large number of people are exposed to diseases associated with its absence.
Around iodized salt there is always a lot of controversy, especially about the harm and benefits of the additionally fortified product. To form your own opinion, it is necessary to understand each side of the issue.
What is the difference between iodized salt and regular salt
Iodized salt is an ordinary food seasoning with the addition of additional iodine-containing salts. In Russia, two types of addition are most commonly used: potassium iodide or potassium iodate.
The main difference between ordinary table salt and iodized salt is the addition of the trace element iodine. Scientists are unanimous in their opinion that iodized salt is necessary for daily use. And the usual, usual seasoning is more suitable for canning - for the preparation of marinades, pickles, and baking. There is an opinion that when heated to a temperature of 98 ° C iodine evaporates. Therefore, the use of iodized salt for dishes that require heat treatment is ineffective.
Which is healthier
Common table salt is a natural flavor enhancer. To understand its importance in cooking, it is enough to under-salt a dish. Without it, it will seem dull and boring, because it is important not only to satisfy hunger, but also to enjoy eating.
The chemical component of salt, sodium chloride, plays an important role in the proper functioning of the entire body. It maintains the state of intercellular fluids and helps balance water in the blood. Without this micronutrient, it is impossible to maintain normal blood pressure levels. One of the main functions of salt is also to help build cell membranes in the human body. Retention of fluid, maintaining the colloidal state of the body, is the main job of sodium chloride. Salt has the effect of strengthening the contraction of the smooth muscles of the intestines, thus normalizing intestinal problems, constipation.
There are several major advantages of using iodine-enriched salt:
- Iodized salt, when constantly used, has a beneficial effect on the entire body. Iodine consumption is important for the better functioning of the thyroid gland. Lack of this element can cause medical health problems such as an enlarged thyroid gland, hypothyroidism, and the appearance of adenoma.
- Iodine accumulates in the body. The main action of the mineral is to support metabolism, including through the active production of hormones found in the thyroid gland. With a lack of hormones appear disturbing symptoms such as weakness, fatigue, constant sleepiness.
- Getting into the human body, iodized salt destroys harmful bacteria and microbes in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Enriched salt is actively involved in the production of hydrochloric acid, and also increases the secretion of bronchial glands.
- The product prevents dehydration of the body, as well as due to trace elements helps to maintain skin turgor.
- Regular use of iodized salt helps to avoid brittle nails.
Composition and calories
The caloric value of iodine-enriched food salt is 0 calories per 100 grams of product.
The substances it contains are the most essential minerals in the human body:
- Potassium - needed for intracellular pressure;
- Calcium - necessary for bones, regulates the nervous system;
- Chlorine - important for the formation of hydrochloric acid;
- Iron - prevents anemia;
- Cobalt - activates metabolism of folic acid;
- Manganese - helps form bone and connective tissue;
- Copper - involved in providing cells with oxygen, helps form hemoglobin;
- Iodine - is essential for the functioning of the thyroid gland, the production of hormones.
How iodized salt is useful
The use of iodized salt can act as an additional aid to the basic treatment of a large number of diseases. These are pathologies associated with the thyroid gland, stomach ulcers, hypertension, nervous breakdowns, memory problems. Thus, the spice used as salt solutions perfectly complements the basic medicinal treatment of certain diseases, and is also widely used in folk medicine.
- Compresses are widely used after surgery to reduce swelling and as a bactericidal dressing against abscesses.
- Salt gargle is popular for colds - sore throat, sore throat.
- If you put a bandage on the forehead moistened with a salt solution, you will get a headache.
- A warm salt compress placed in the area of the bronchi helps in the treatment of the flu, cough.
- A solution of iodized salt heals microcracks on the skin, relieves inflammation.
Iodized salt is a very useful product for women. After all, it perfectly helps to improve the body not only inside, but also outside. The spice is of great help with the following symptoms:
- persistent chronic fatigue,
- thinning of hair and hair loss,
- Dry and flaky skin,
- splitting and brittle nails.
Salt enriched with iodine is desirable to take every day, but within the norm of taking. The permissible rate of use is 5-6 grams per day.
Russian physicians also note the properties of salt, which have a beneficial effect on the male body. Iodine contained in the product helps to maintain good physical activity, and also contributes to the endurance of men. Micronutrients in iodized salt are necessary for the prevention of mental disorders, improve the condition under stress, have a positive effect on memory and concentration problems. The recommended minimum daily intake for men is 1 teaspoon.
The consumption of iodized salt is also necessary for pregnant women. Lack of iodine in the future mother can negatively affect her health in the future, and the whole period of pregnancy will be marred by unpleasant symptoms. These are increased nervousness, constant fatigue, rapid fatigue, tachycardia. But there are more serious consequences that can occur with a lack of iodine in the female body. This is the risk of miscarriage, the birth of a baby with congenital abnormalities - dumbness, strabismus, deafness, mental retardation, neurological diseases, delayed physical development.
Modern statements say that salt retains water, increases the possibility of edema, and can also provoke the blockage of ducts, which will lead to the fact that extra fluid begins to accumulate in the body, and this will affect the reduction of breast milk. Despite this, a young mother during the lactation period does not need to give up the use of salt. It ensures the normal functioning of her body.
It is important in the first months to reduce the intake of salty foods, to give up fast food, smoked foods, canned foods. Such food not only causes dehydration and constant thirst, but can also have a bad effect on the health of the baby. Allergic rashes on the baby's body may occur, as well as the development of food allergies.
The use of iodized salt has a positive effect on the psychological state of the nursing mother. It reduces fatigue and nervousness, which are natural at this time. Iodine coming with salt has a beneficial effect on the whole body, helping the gastrointestinal tract, controls the formation of thyroid hormones.
For the growing child's body, a micronutrient such as iodine is important. Children who consume the required amount of micronutrient have greater mental and physical development than peers who are deprived of it. At an early age, iodine deficiency disease can cause rapid fatigue, depressed mental state with constant tearfulness, capriciousness, and inability to concentrate on one action.
But doctors are categorical in their opinion - you can add this spice to children's dishes only from 1.5 years of age. Until this age, a small child is quite sufficient salt, which comes with natural foods. Babies need much less salt than adults. Up to a year they receive it from mother's milk, fully satisfying the required daily dose. If the child is artificially fed, all modern formulas are fully balanced for each age category. As the child grows up, complementary feeding is introduced with store-bought canned purees with vegetables, meat, fruits, which do not have a pronounced taste, they have no salt and additional flavor additives.
When losing weight
Salt enriched with iodine is useful for weight loss. It will not give an instant weight loss effect, as its main function is to retain water in the human body. But the controlled consumption of the spice during the period of weight loss brings tangible benefits:
- Accelerates the metabolism.
- Helps to keep the intestinal microflora in balance, destroying harmful microorganisms and bacteria.
- Good for the nervous system (dieting is always a stress to the body).
- Necessary for proper operation of the thyroid gland.
- Reduces fatigue during physical exertion.
- Positive effect in disorders of effective bowel function (signs of irritable bowel disease are: flatulence, allergic rashes on the skin, constipation, inflammation of the mucous membranes of the mouth, increased lymph nodes, pain in the lower abdomen).
Is it possible to wash the nose with iodized salt
Nasal irrigation with saline solution is a widely known procedure for more than one generation, which belongs to the traditional recipes of folk medicine in the treatment of rhinitis. Usually the effectiveness of this procedure is immediately noticeable at the first rinses. The benefits from the use of saline solutions are obvious:
- Supports the functioning of the respiratory system.
- Clears the nasal cavity.
- Helps eliminate edema.
- Disinfects the nasal cavity (iodine, which is in the salt solution, also helps to relieve inflammation from microcracks, small wounds that appear during the exacerbation of the disease).
- It reduces the number of causative agents of the common cold, shortening the time required for treatment.
Iodine contained in the salt solution is also an excellent antibacterial agent and serves as an additional positive component in the treatment of runny nose and bacterial maxillary sinusitis.
Iodized salt is widely used in cosmetology. The combined composition of iodine and salt, thanks to its natural properties of anti-inflammatory and bactericidal action, makes it possible to bring the skin into perfect shape, save it from peeling, strengthen the hair and nails. You can use several beauty recipes using iodized salt for practical use:
Dilute 750 grams of salt in a bath. Taking a salt bath - up to 20 minutes. Here it is important to remember that for the effectiveness of the procedure, the water should not be hot, the maximum temperature is 40 ° C. Regular intake of salt baths gives two positive effects - the skin becomes more elastic and firm, pores are cleared, small peeling disappears. And also the salt procedure has a beneficial effect on a person's nervous excitability and acts as an anti-stress.
Our own soap based on iodized salt is able to cope not only with the shine of oily skin, but also to remove black acne from the face. For cooking, you need to take baby soap without fragrance additives, grate finely, then add 250 ml of distilled water, cook in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. After obtaining a homogeneous consistency, put 1 teaspoon of borax powder bought at the drugstore. Add 4 tablespoons of salt. Mix everything with a mixer. You can also add a few drops of essential oil. Let the soap harden.
A cleansing lotion will not only help to remove excess shine from the face, but also fights black acne and does not dry the skin. To make the lotion at home, you need to mix equal amounts of glycerin and vodka. To them, add salt in the amount of 2 teaspoons. The lotion is best kept in a dark place, use 2 times a day, wipe your face with a cotton pad.
Iodized salt is excellent for preventing and combating cellulite. After bathing, pour iodized salt on a hard sponge, then thoroughly rub the problem areas with massaging movements for about 10-15 minutes. For a stronger effect add a few drops of citrus essential oils of orange or lemon to the salt. For a better effect repeat the procedure twice a week.
Mix two soup spoons of banana and iodised salt. Mashed potato the mass to a puree. Apply to wet and dry hair. Wrap with a towel, leave it on your hair for about an hour. Then rinse.
Bath for the nails
Baths with salt for the nails can not only improve the condition of the nails. They prevent brittleness, having a bactericidal effect, heal microcracks, give your hands a well-groomed look. They are not difficult to do: take a small container of non-hot water, add iodized salt. Dip your hands for 10-15 minutes. Then wipe your hands dry with a towel and apply cream to your hands.
Bath for weight loss
Iodized salt is widely used as an additional component in the fight against excess weight. Baths for weight loss with a mixture of salt and baking soda are effective. The mixture is made up of equal amounts of 100-150 grams. The duration of the bath - no more than 20 minutes.
Cooking with iodized salt
Salt enriched with iodine is used everywhere in cooking. It is usually used in the preparation of everyday cold dishes and salads. Adding the spice to the dish affects the irritation of the taste buds of the body, helps a person to enjoy every bite of food.
With the advent of the popularity of using iodized salt, a variety of types of product using additives began to appear on store shelves. At this time, the more common types are:
- Cooking salt. It is artificially enriched with trace elements of iodine.
- Sea iodized salt. It is obtained as a result of evaporation of seawater. The seasoning is rich in micronutrients without artificial chemical additives.
- Black. This salt is crude. It has a large number of macronutrients.
- Diet. In it, the amount of sodium chloride is chemically reduced. It differs in the addition of calcium and magnesium.
- Salt can be divided into several variants:
- Coarse grinding. It is used more often in the preparation of first courses, fresh chopped vegetables.
- Medium grind. Salt is added to all dishes. Ideal for meat, fish.
- Fine grinding. Used in salting salads.
Can be used for pickling
It is possible to can foods using iodized salt. There is a popular belief that it changes the flavor qualities of the salt when canned for the worse, which also affects its appearance. At the moment, the method of making the product has changed. Iodized salt no longer loses its valuable qualities in salting, smoking and making marinades. You can pay attention that in European countries use only iodized salt, which also indicates the safety of this product.
Harm and contraindications
Everyone can use iodized salt without harm to health. It is only necessary to know the measure in taking the product, because its overabundance in the body leads to edema, fluid retention, complications in the work of the kidneys and liver.
Iodized salt is undesirable for people with such diseases:
- thyroid cancer,
- Any stage of tuberculosis,
- Chronic furunculosis,
- Kidney disease.
When iodized salt is consumed in excess, there can also be negative consequences. General intoxication occurs with unfortunate consequences:
- pus rash;
- nausea, vomiting;
- eye disease.
The elderly people who are unaware of thyroid problems and are constantly self-medicating their bodies are more often subjected to these diseases.
Salt, enriched with iodine, should be consumed in reasonable doses. For example, for pregnant and nursing women, the daily intake is up to 200 mcg. For adults, consumption is up to 150 mcg. Children under 6 years of age can consume no more than 90 micrograms of salt. Also, do not forget about natural products rich in iodine, such as seaweed, fish.
How to choose and store it
When buying salt in the store, you should pay attention to several important points:
- The container should be dry, tightly sealed. If the seasoning gets wet, it becomes a sticky lump that loses its valuable qualities.
- The shelf life is 12 months. It is possible to use salt longer than this period, but it will be usual table salt, as iodine tends to evaporate.
- You should pay attention to the composition of the added iodine. If it is potassium iodide, it is better not to buy salt, because this component does not undergo high heat treatment.
Even if good quality salt has been purchased, it is important to remember the basic conditions for proper storage.
- It is undesirable to keep salt enriched with iodine open. It is better to choose a closed container.
- When heated for a long time, the seasoning loses a lot of iodine. Therefore, it is important to salt the dish at the end of cooking.
On a side note! Taking only iodine as the main mineral supplement in food will not bring much benefit to the whole body. Other micronutrients and vitamins should also be taken.
Interesting facts about salt
The human body needs to consume salt in order to work properly. The modern world is unimaginable without the consumption of this spice, it is one of the main ingredients in every dish.
- Natural table salt can have different colors and shades depending on the mineral salts added to it.
- This spice is necessary for the proper functioning of the human body.
- At the very beginning of the 19th century, salt was four times more expensive than beef.
- The largest salt deposits in Europe are located in Ukraine, in the city of Artemovsk.
- Due to the multiplicity of calculations, it is not possible to calculate the amount of salt on Earth.
- Until the early 20th century, the product was considered the main currency of Ethiopia.
- Taking a large amount of salt can provoke death.
- A millennium ago, salt was very expensive, and wars were even fought over it. Now it is one of the cheapest products on earth.
- It is the oldest spice in the world.
- In Europe and the United States there are educational programs to explain the destructiveness of salt.
- In Great Britain there is a law forcing food producers to indicate the amount of salt.
- In Finland, by advocating a reduction in salt consumption, the death rate from strokes and heart attacks has been reduced.
- This spice is widely used in divination. There is even a separate method of divination with salt alone - alomancy.
- Half of ancient China's income came from the sale of this food additive.
- China has been extracting salt by evaporating water from it for 3,000 years.
- The Czech Republic has some of the largest salt caves.
- In winter, up to 17% of all salt mined is used to combat ice and icy roads.
- This seasoning is used to make glass and soap.
- The average salt intake per adult is 8 kg.
Iodized salt is an important addition to the daily diet, especially for people who do not get iodine from natural foods. The norm of its intake per day is 8 to 12 g. If you observe this proportion, there will not be an overabundance of salt in the body, as well as side effects. However, if you feel sickness, are diagnosed with malignant tumors, there are skin diseases, it is better to consult with a doctor before consuming iodized salt.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only for educational purposes. Consult a health care professional before applying any recommendations. health care professional before using any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be held liable for any possible harm caused by materials."