How to store red caviar at home
"Eggs of fish", "red gold" - such definitions can be heard today about red caviar. To buy it, today's housewives need to shell out a decent amount of money. But was red caviar always "honored"?
Even during the reign of Ivan the Terrible, this product had never been heard of. With the appearance of the road to Siberia in the late 17th century, merchants brought the first shipments of caviar to St. Petersburg. However, they had to give it away to taverns for next to nothing. It was not until the first decade of the 20th century that red caviar made its ascent to the pedestal of exquisite and expensive delicacies. It happened when the product was treated with a salt solution. Fish eggs only became a royal delicacy under Tsar Nicholas II.
The "fate" of red caviar in the Far East was quite different. For the fishing families it was the second bread. It was used in different forms: fresh, boiled, fried and dried.
Composition and calories
Hardly anyone would dispute the usefulness of this natural fish product. It is rich in vitamins, minerals and fatty acids. The main vitamins are B group, as well as A, E, D. Iodine, calcium, phosphorus, iron, copper are the main of the considerable number of mineral components in fish eggs. Polyunsaturated fatty acids, namely omega-3, omega-6 and omega-9, folic acid make caviar essential for the body. 32% of protein in the product is a large portion compared to its other components. But in terms of its properties, the protein of fish roe has better qualities compared to animal and dairy proteins.
Red caviar is a high-calorie product. 100 grams of fish product is 265 kcal, while one teaspoon contains 39.75 kcal.
Nowadays, store shelves are flooded with imitation caviar. It is also good for the body, but there are some subtleties. So, compared to the natural caviar, which has 24.8 grams of protein, the artificial caviar has only 1 gram. Therefore, it is included in the diet of athletes and those who count calories every day.
By the way, natural fish eggs are the caviar of pink, salmon, coho and chum salmon. For artificial caviar, the basis is algae and fish oil.
The benefits of red caviar
Red caviar is a salty product. But this does not deprive it even part of its useful and therapeutic properties. However, the main condition for the use of the product is reasonableness.
- Vitamin D contained in particularly large quantities in red caviar makes it indispensable in the treatment of rickets, especially in children.
- The presence of lecithin makes it useful for improving brain function and strengthening the nervous system. Combining this component with polyunsaturated fatty acids improves memory, attention and concentration.
- Athletes and people who have undergone surgery or a serious illness, red caviar will help to saturate the body with energy. This contributes to a balanced composition of vitamins along with proteins and fats.
- Salmon roe is a natural aphrodisiac. A man who regularly consumes this product does not experience problems with potency. It restores reproductive function and stimulates the release of sex hormones.
- The protein contained in red caviar, compared to animal protein, is broken down and absorbed by the body several times faster. That is why its consumption is extremely important for improving the vital functions of the body.
- 100 grams of caviar is double the adult daily norm of iodine, the lack of which is particularly felt in the winter and spring season. Strengthening the immune system, getting rid of weakness and apathy help and other useful minerals contained in the seafood. Therefore, the inclusion of red caviar in the diet is the best option to improve the overall condition during colds and vitamin deficiencies.
- The iodine contained in the delicacy makes it useful for those suffering from thyroid diseases.
- Caviar is an additional source of calcium. The bone skeleton of children and the elderly constantly needs to replenish the body with this component. Regular consumption of the product will balance the calcium content and strengthen the bones.
- The work of the heart and circulatory system largely depends on the amount of hemoglobin in the blood. Its production is promoted by the iron content of caviar, and high sodium level helps to dilate blood vessels and improve blood circulation. All this prevents blood clots and normalizes blood pressure.
- Potassium in the chemical composition of caviar has a positive effect on the process of hematopoiesis and strengthening the walls of blood vessels.
- Useful cholesterol in the delicacy improves the condition of cell membranes.
- Proved beneficial effect of red caviar on vision. This is the merit of vitamin A, which is used as a prophylactic agent for eye diseases. In addition, caviar can be a supplement to the main components of treatment.
- The fish delicacy contains lysine. It counteracts the formation of cells that lead to cancer. Vitamin C and fatty acids with antioxidant properties help enhance the action of lysine and prevent the occurrence of malignant tumors.
- Alzheimer's disease, psoriasis, obesity, depression, asthma and eczema - to prevent such diseases, regular consumption of red caviar is a guarantee to avoid them.
Any product, even a seemingly flawless one, can be harmful to the body if consumed in excess. The daily norm of red caviar is not more than 70 g. The high salt content makes it a dangerous foodstuff when consumed in excess.
Specialists consider the delicacy as a product that is difficult to digest. Therefore, it is recommended that children begin to eat caviar only when they reach 3 years of age.
The harm of red caviar
Pulmonary edema, heart failure, anaphylactic shock - these are the possible consequences of overeating this seafood. The reason is the high content of cobalamin. 100 g of the product contains double the rate of the substance, which can be harmful to health.
50 g of seafood per day - this is the norm of consumption for a healthy adult. The caviar can be stored for a long time, because it has a high concentration of salt. Diseases of the kidneys, the urinary system can worsen, if no precautions are taken when eating dishes with this delicacy. Otherwise, such people are guaranteed edema, disorders of metabolism and water metabolism in the tissues.
Residents of the south can suffer from the use of red caviar because of the protein, which is easily digested by the body. It can cause an allergic reaction, sometimes accompanied by anaphylactic shock.
You should be especially careful when buying artificial caviar. It can harm the health of not only allergic, but also quite healthy people: the amount of preservatives in such products is off the charts.
When choosing caviar, one should not buy the product from dubious sellers and even more so from underground producers. Liver and kidney failure, deterioration of vision, the appearance of cancer - all this can be a consequence of the purchase of untested seafood. The first signs of eating low-quality caviar can be nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and rashes on the body.
Neither nature nor man has created a perfect product that would not cause a negative reaction in people. Therefore, no matter how useful the product is, it can simultaneously cause harm to the body.
How to store red caviar
The caviar of salmon fish is an exquisite delicacy. It usually takes pride of place on the table on holidays. Housewives, buying the product in advance, should know the rules for its storage.
12 months - the maximum shelf life of red caviar in a sealed package from the time of manufacture.
By the time caviar arrives at the bagging facility, it is in blast chambers at -20 degrees. Therefore, consumers should not be allowed to re-freeze finished products.
In the refrigerator
To store jars of red caviar that have not yet been opened, it is recommended to choose the coldest shelf of the refrigerator. The caviar that reaches the consumer may have gone through several stages of freezing. Therefore, despite the ban on repeated freezing, in exceptional cases it is allowed to freeze the product to extend its shelf life.
If a can of caviar is opened, but the entire product is not planned to be consumed in one day, it should not be frozen. The manufacturer adds sorbic acid to the caviar to increase its shelf life. Thanks to it, the shelf life of the product in an open container can be about a week.
Even if the jar is corked, but you want to increase the duration of preservation of the product to several weeks, you can use a proven method. To do this, the jar with caviar is placed in a bowl with crushed ice and placed in the refrigerator. As the ice melts the melt water is drained and new pieces of ice are added.
Thus, the shelf life of red caviar in an unopened tin can is up to one year. 4 months is the shelf life of the delicacy in plastic or glass containers. Within 3-5 days, you can consume the product from opened packages of plastic or glass.
In the freezer
Storing this seafood in the freezer is a radical method when there are no other options. With this method, there is a loss of some useful qualities. In order not to cause serious harm to health, compliance with some rules is mandatory.
- Do not defrost and freeze caviar again.
- You should put the product to freeze in portions, so that you eat it in one sitting.
- Remove excess moisture before placing in the freezer, and use food bags to pack the product.
- The maximum shelf life of red caviar in the freezer is 12 months.
In a tin can
Pasteurized and canned caviar is packed in such a container. This information should be placed on the packaging. The sealed jar is simply stored on the refrigerator shelf. Preservatives used by the manufacturer will not allow the product to spoil.
Caviar in an open jar can not be kept. It must be eaten immediately or transferred to a glass jar. Keeping the product in a tin, even for a short time, can lead to poisoning due to oxidative processes.
In a plastic jar
Choosing this type of utensil, you should pay attention to its dryness, cleanliness and tightness. The best option would be a plastic jar with a lid that has a seal.
Before stacking the caviar in a jar, pour boiling brine with 3-4 tablespoons of salt per 1 liter of water. Sea salt is also suitable. After that, the container is wiped dry with a paper towel, and the caviar is transferred.
In order to extend the shelf life of the delicacy and increase the tightness of the container can be transferred to the container after smearing the walls with vegetable oil. About 3 tablespoons on the top layer of caviar will also help to keep the product longer.
Observing the temperature storage of this product is quite difficult. For better preservation, it is better to install the container on a shelf, closer to the freezer.
No less effective turns out to be a way of storing with the help of crushed ice.
How to defrost caviar correctly
To prevent the frozen delicacy after defrosting from becoming a homogeneous mass of clumped eggs, some rules should be followed.
Caviar taken from the freezer should be kept on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator for at least 10 hours. In this case, take exactly as much of the product as will be used in full.
After this time, the delicacy for about 1 hour can be put on a shelf with a higher temperature or on a window sill. The final defrosting of caviar occurs at room temperature.
A desire to accelerate the defrosting of the seafood, for example, immediately at room temperature, may cause the caviar to be liquid and of little usable value.
Red caviar is the favorite seafood of millions of people. The desire to stock up on it and consume it as needed is a whole science. If you follow all the conditions for storing, freezing and thawing red caviar, you can get not only a real pleasure from the dishes prepared with it, but also improve your health.
Interesting facts about red caviar
- Culinary experts have given this delicacy the title of the queen of the feast. Many facts confirm this definition. Thus, in 1240, according to chroniclers, it was presented to Batu Khan. He liked it, but the chronicles say nothing about the recipe.
- People who consume caviar once a week, retain good mental abilities to the end of life. At the same time, it was recorded prolongation of their lives up to ten years.
- This seafood is known as a dish for newlyweds. Caviar is famous for its ability to increase the level of the joy hormone serotonin, saturate the body with polyunsaturated fatty acids, increase potency and contribute to a favorable course of pregnancy.
- About a million tons is how much red caviar is sold on the world market each year. This means that 200 grams of the delicacy per year for each inhabitant of the planet, from elders to infants.
- Statistics state that out of 10 people who try caviar for the first time, one will never eat it again, 6 will make it a holiday dish, and 3 will consume it as soon as the opportunity arises.
Red caviar is a gourmet dish, a holiday table decoration and a seafood that is healthy in every way.
«Important: All information on this site is provided solely for introductory for educational purposes only. Consult with a health care professional before using any recommendations. specialist before you use any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."