How to cook pork shanks jelly properly: 11 Recipes
Chłodec is not a difficult dish, but it takes a lot of time to cook it. In this case, you do not need to constantly stand at the stove. Therefore, you can safely plan for the time of cooking other household chores.
- How to choose the right pork legs for a chłodeche
- Preparation of meat
- Recipes for jelly from pork shanks
- Recipe for pork thighs chłodnik from pork thighs
- How to cook jelly from pork shanks and knuckle
- How to cook pork shanks chłodec with beef
- How to make pork shanks jelly with chicken
- The correct jelly from pork head and legs
- Recipe for jelly from pork shanks and turkey
- Delicious Cold Stuff with Pig Legs and Ears
- How to cook pork shanks jelly without gelatin
- How to cook jelly in a multicooker
- Can I cook jelly in a pressure cooker?
- How to cook jelly in a plastic bottle
- How to present jelly beautifully
- Questions & Answers on Cooking Cold Stuff
- How long does it set?
- Why does not freeze jelly
- How to fix a non-frozen jelly
- Is it possible to overcook the jelly
- What to do if the jelly boiled over
- What to do if you over-salted the jelly
- Can I finish boiling the jelly for the next day?
- What to do if there is a lot of water in the jello
- How to properly store jello
- What mistakes are made when cooking jello
Someone for this old dish uses only pork, someone - beef or poultry. And some people mix different kinds of meat. Most often it is cooked using pig's feet. Then the dish turns out boiled and does not require the use of additives in the form of gelatin or agar-agar.
How to choose the right pork shanks for jelly
Since ancient times, jelly has been prepared from pig's feet and heads to reduce the amount of waste after the animal is slaughtered. In the process of cooking, they release enough collagen to gellate the broth. Now there is an opportunity to buy any kind of legs and young housewives often have the question of which is better to choose - the front or the back.
This byproduct belongs to the lowest category, and therefore costs cheap. The lowest part of the limb with a hoof is for sale. They consist of bone, tendons and skin, so there is no particular difference which to buy.
Another thing is if you buy a knuckle. Pigs have less load on the front limbs, so they are more delicate. The hind limbs are stronger and more wiry. In chłodeche most often put them in equal proportions. But if you want the broth to be rich, it is better to give preference to the hind legs. From the front legs the dish will be less caloric.
When choosing, the first thing to pay attention to is the appearance:
- They should be clean, without stains or damage. Otherwise, there is a risk of buying a spoiled product.
- On a fresh byproduct, the skin is white-pink in color, without dense bristles.
- A withered cut indicates that the legs have been in the refrigerator for a long time.
- If the product is refrigerated, you can press the fleshy part of it with your finger. A fresh product will quickly regain its former shape. But if the dimple does not disappear, it is better to refuse to buy.
- The smell from the hooves should come out fresh, without extraneous flavors.
Preparing the meat
In order for the dish to turn out delicious, pork legs must first be prepared. To do this, they are first cleaned of bristles. Sometimes they are burned on an open fire. Then washed in cool running water, and chopped with a sharp knife. A special knife for peeling vegetables will also work well. After that, wash again.
Experienced cooks advise to soak the subproduct in water and milk. This will remove from it the remains of clotted blood and make the skin softer and more tender. In a saucepan they pour the ingredients one to one, so that the legs are completely covered. Put the container in the fridge for 10-12 hours. After that, the legs are washed and dried with paper towels.
Most hostesses soak the meat simply in cold water for about three hours.
Recipes for chłodnik from pig shanks
There are numerous recipes for pork chłodniki. Some people like to cook with just pork, some prefer to add poultry or beef. Some people believe that garlic spoils the taste of the product, while others cannot imagine how it is possible to eat chłodnik without it.
Recipe for transparent pork shank chłodnik (pork leg chłodnik)
Chłodnik, unlike jellied, is not cooked completely transparent. But cloudy and whitish dish is unlikely to arouse the appetite of the household.
To make the jelly transparent, there are two rules to follow:
- The first and second water after the broth boils, be sure to drain. This will help get rid of excess fat and residues of clotted protein. Then, all the contents of the pot, in which the dish is cooked, are rinsed in water and put to cook on the stove finally.
- The contents of the pot must not be allowed to boil strongly. Cook the jelly on low heat. Only in this case you can achieve the desired result.
- 2 hoofs;
- 1 kilogram of meat products;
- 1 onion;
- 1 carrot;
- bay leaf;
- a few cloves of garlic;
- 2 liters of water;
- salt, pepper.
Recipe for cooking
Rinse meat ingredients in running water and pour for 3 hours with cold water or water and milk taken in equal proportions. After that, scrape the legs with a sharp knife and all meat semi-finished products once again rinse thoroughly, dry with paper towel, put into a cauldron or a saucepan with thick walls. Pour enough water to cover the products, but it should not be more than 2 cm above them. Cover the pot with a lid so that the liquid does not boil out, and put it on low heat. While cooking, be sure to remove the foam with a slotted skimmer. After boiling, the broth is drained and the container is refilled with clean water.
The same is done the next time. Only the third broth will make the jelly transparent. It is left to simmer for about 5 hours. After that, a whole onion in its peel, peeled whole carrots, salt and spices are added to the cauldron. After an hour, you can check the readiness by pouring some broth into a small bowl and placing it in the refrigerator. If it has solidified, turn off the stove. The meat parts are disassembled by hand removing bones and small gristle, separating the soft part into fibers. They, as well as vegetables, herbs are placed on the forms. Strain the broth and pour it on the prepared ingredients. All placed in a cold place for solidification.
How to cook jelly from pork shanks and knuckle
A delicious and nourishing dish can be made from hoofs and knuckles.
- 2 hooves;
- 400 grams of knuckle;
- 1 each onion and carrot;
- bay leaf.
Step by step recipe
Prepared and soaked meat semi-finished products are placed in a saucepan and pour water so that it is 5 centimeters above the products. Bring to a boil over high heat, constantly removing limescale with a slotted spoon. Then cover the pot with a lid and turn down the gas to minimum. After 5 hours add peeled carrots and onions in husks. Then add pepper, bay leaf and salt to taste. After another hour the hooves and knuckle should be boiled. Take out the meat and cut it, strain the broth. Arrange the garlic and vegetables in containers and pour the broth over them. Let the pork cholodec cool down, and then put it in the refrigerator.
How to cook pork shanks cholodec with beef
Adding beef to the jelly makes the finished dish less fatty.
For cooking you will need: 0.6 kg of pork legs, 700 g of beef, 1 piece of onion and carrot, pepper, garlic, salt, bay leaf.
Step by step recipe: Prepared meat is placed in a saucepan with thick walls and pour water so that it is about two fingers above the products. Bring to a boil on high heat, removing the scale which forms. Then cover the pot and let it simmer for 6 hours. Then the rest of the ingredients are put into the broth without cutting them up. Finished meat is cut into fibers and poured into the strained broth. If desired, vegetables can be added to the forms.
How to make a jelly from pork legs with chicken
Ingredients: 2 hooves, 1 kg of chicken, onions and carrots 1 pc each, allspice, bay leaf, salt.
Recipe: The carrots need to be peeled, the meat is soaked and washed. In a large saucepan put the hooves, pour 2 liters of water and bring to a boil. Turn off the gas and let the broth stew for 4 hours. Cut the chicken into pieces and add them to the broth. After one hour, add vegetables, spices and salt and leave to simmer for another hour. Ready meat is cut, placed in containers and poured into the strained broth.
The right jelly from the pork head and legs
Ingredients: 2 hooves, 1/4 part pork head, carrot, onion, garlic, parsley root, pepper, salt, bay leaf.
Recipe: The layer of fat behind the ears is cut off from the head. Soaked and rinsed meat fill with water. Place the cauldron on gas. After boiling, the broth is drained and clean water is poured. Immediately put vegetables into the container. When the broth boils, turn off the gas, and the chłodec left to simmer for six hours. 30 minutes before full readiness, a bay leaf, salt and spices are added to the pot. Ready meat is placed in prepared containers and poured with broth.
Recipe for jellied pork shanks and turkey
Ingredients: 2 hooves, 500 grams of turkey, onion, carrots, celery, salt, peppercorns, bay leaf.
This variant of chłodniki is suitable for those who prefer not very fatty dishes. It is cooked in the same way as jelly from pork legs and chicken.
Delicious chłodec from pork shanks and ears
To prepare it you will need: 2 hooves, 2 pork ears, 2 onions and carrots, garlic, parsley root, pepper, bay leaf, salt.
Recipe: The ears should be thoroughly washed by incising them. Otherwise it will be impossible to clean the dirt from there. The meat is prepared and together with the vegetables is placed in a saucepan. Pour water. When the contents come to the boil, turn off the gas and simmer for about 6 hours. Then spices and salt are added and left on the fire for another hour. Take out the meat and cut it into fibers, strain the broth. Cut carrots into slices, add parsley leaves and pour the broth over it. Put the jelly in a cold place to solidify.
How to cook pig's feet jelly without gelatin
Many people prepare this dish by adding gelatin. But the old recipe does not contain any special stabilizers to thicken the jelly. You can add knuckles, tails, and ears to make it exactly gelatinized. If chicken or turkey is added, it is better to choose shanks. That is, use those parts that contain more collagen. With prolonged cooking, it will pass into the broth and allow you not to use gelatin. As a rule, take:
- Pork hoof, knuckle and beef on the bone.
- Hoofed pork knuckle, pork ears, chicken thighs.
- Pig's feet, chicken legs and hams.
- There may be other variations of ingredients.
How to cook jelly in the multicooker
The long process of cooking jelly can be accelerated, if the house has a multicooker. She especially helps inexperienced cooks.
For cooking you will need:
- hooves - 700 grams;
- Other by-products - 1.4 kilograms;
- garlic - 2 cloves;
- Onion - 1 piece;
- medium carrots - 3 pieces;
- water - 1 liter;
- bay leaf;
Pour cold water over the meat products and leave for 2-3 hours, then rinse them. In a bowl put the meat, whole onion in the husk. Peel carrots and add them without chopping. The water should completely cover the meat, but not by much. Put salt and turn on the appliance to "stew" mode. The time should be set to 7 hours. If this function implies a shorter interval, then after the end of the cycle, you need to turn on the multicooker again. You can leave the device on overnight. In the morning take out the meat and cool a little. After that, take it apart with your hands. Use carrots for decorations, cutting them into circles or shapes. In forms, put greens, chopped garlic, carrots and meat. Pour the broth into the containers. Close with the lid and put everything in the fridge or take it out onto a balcony, if it is minus outside.
Can I cook chłodnik in a pressure cooker?
The pressure cooker, on the one hand, greatly accelerates the preparation of jello. It is enough to boil the meat components for only 3 hours. On the other hand, you need to strictly follow the recipe and use only a serviceable device. The pressure cooker must have a good valve and not let the vapors pass through. It can also be made with one pork leg and a knuckle. This is enough for the broth to solidify. The only drawback is that the finished product will not turn out much. Therefore, it is worth adding other meat components.
For a classic recipe, take 1.6 kilograms of offal, 2.5 liters of water, onions, carrots, salt, pepper peas. All products are put in a pressure cooker, water is added. Turn on the electronic device for three hours. In the mechanical one, the lid is tightly screwed on and heated to increase the pressure. As soon as steam begins to appear from under the valve, the gas is reduced to the minimum level. Then, for 2 hours only, it is monitored. When finished, the valve is gently lifted so that the internal pressure equals the external pressure. After that, you can open the lid. The slightly cooled meat should be disassembled, and the broth should be strained. After that, you can pour the jelly into forms, adding vegetables, herbs, garlic to the dish as desired.
How to cook chłodec in a plastic bottle
Such jelly is most often made for the festive table. The unusual shape allows it to decorate in a variety of ways. Someone makes from it an unusual roll, someone makes a small pig.
Boil such chłodecks in the classical way in the usual cauldron, multicooker or pressure cooker. But to solidify, they pour it into a bottle with the top cut off. So you can get the ready dish without any problems.
As a rule, for this take a one and a half liter bottle. It is well washed and steeped. At the bottom put the minced meat, herbs, garlic, sliced boiled egg, vegetables and pour the broth. When the content cools, it is covered with clingfilm and put in the fridge to solidify. After 5 hours, check the readiness by cutting the bottle lengthwise with a knife. The jelly can be cut into circles and garnished with sprigs of greens, vegetables, cranberries and lingonberries.
How to serve chłodecks beautifully
Chłodec is most often prepared for the holiday table. Therefore, it is important to decorate the dish beautifully. To do this, the vegetables can be figuratively carved, making flowers or stars out of carrots. Of berries, cranberries, lingonberries and cranberries are used.
Unusual shape is also able to surprise and delight the guests. For pouring the jelly, you can take baking molds with wavy edges, a plastic bottle and even egg shells. For this purpose, a sharp part of the raw egg is carefully poked out, and the contents are poured into a separate bowl. The empty shell is used for hardening the jelly.
The chłodecks decorated in the form of a cake look original. Sometimes it is made in layers, alternating jelly with chopped vegetables.
Questions and answers on cooking jellied meat
When preparing such a seemingly uncomplicated dish as chłodecks, unexpected situations may arise. The answers to the most common questions are given below.
How long does the jelly cure
The time it takes for the jelly to solidify is influenced by several factors. Firstly, it is the air temperature. On the windowsill, the process will be much slower than in the refrigerator. But even there it will take quite a bit of time. Putting it on the middle shelf, you will be able to please your loved ones with a delicious dish not earlier than in five to six hours.
Why does the jelly won't set?
There may be several reasons why the jello does not solidify:
- When adding other meat to pork legs, it is necessary to observe the proportions one to two (for 500 grams of legs, no more than 1 kilogram of other meat components). Otherwise, the jelly may not solidify.
- The broth boiled strongly when boiling. In this case, the meat components are quickly digested, and the collagen does not have time to fully come out of the cartilage and bones. This problem is especially common when using a pressure cooker. The fire should be low, and the minimum cooking time is about 6 hours.
- Too much water was initially poured. Meat products should not be covered with liquid more than 5-6 centimeters.
- During cooking, water was added to the broth. It is recommended to do this only in the most extreme case. For example, when by negligence a significant part of the liquid has boiled out. Such problems as, for example, over-salt, can be corrected in another way.
- The air temperature in the room, where you put the chłodnik to solidify, is too warm. It is worth to place the molds, where the finished dish is poured, on the middle shelf of the refrigerator.
How to fix a non-frozen jelly
If the chłodec not frozen, then do not despair. The situation can be corrected, though, you will have to use gelatin. The finished product should be poured back into the pot and put on the fire. While it is heating, in a bowl, dilute the gelatin according to the instructions on the package. When choosing the dosage, you need to consider the volume of broth. Usually take about 20 grams of powder per liter of cooked dish and dilute it in 100 ml of warm water.
After the broth boils for two or three minutes, diluted gelatin is poured into it and thoroughly mixed. The ready dish is poured into deep plates and placed in a cool place. Now the jelly will freeze for sure.
Is it possible to overcook the jelly
Under this term, two different concepts are understood. In the first case, they say that the dish, as a result of prolonged cooking, loses its taste properties and qualities. In the second, it is the recooking of an already cooked product.
Overcooked chłodec will have a rigid consistency, and the meat will lose its pleasant fibrousness. Therefore, it is worth paying attention to the recipe of cooking. This is especially important when cooking in a pressure cooker. The process becomes faster under pressure, so you need to take this into account.
Already frozen jelly can be overcooked. This is done in several cases:
- This method helps to extend the shelf life when it is already running out.
- If you intend to use a frozen product.
- When the finished dish has stood in the heat, and it is not planned to eat it the same day. Before putting it to freeze, the chłodec is overcooked.
What to do if the jello boils over
Since the process of cooking jello takes a lot of time and does not require constant presence in the kitchen, it happens that the water boils over. If this is detected during cooking, and some of the broth is still left, you can add water and hope that the collagen from the pig's feet is enough for the jelly to solidify.
When the water has completely boiled away, then it is better not to try to create a jelly out of it. It is better to prepare jelly, using gelatin, and make the jelly. The finished meat can be garnished with vegetables and eggs. Of course, the result will not be exactly what was planned, but also a very tasty dish.
What to do if you over-salt the jello
It is not easy to save an over-salted jelly. Especially since if you add boiling water to it, it may not solidify. First of all, you need to determine how spoiled the product is. To do this, a little broth is poured into a bowl and wait until it cools. When it is cold, the salt feels less strong.
Rice will help correct the situation. To do this, take either groats, which are sold in bags for cooking, or put 2 tablespoons of rice in gauze and tie the bag. Boil the product until it is fully cooked. It should be borne in mind that after such a procedure, the broth will need to be clarified either by straining, or using a chicken egg. For this purpose, the contents of the pot are brought to a boil over high heat. After that, the broken raw egg is carefully poured into the broth, taking care not to break it into small pieces. After 10 minutes it can be removed with a slotted spoon.
If there is no rice at home, you can use peeled raw potatoes. Two tubers, without cutting them, are put in a saucepan with a future chłodzle and boiled until they are completely cooked. If the broth darkens from the starch, a chicken egg is also used.
Experienced cooks believe that the only correct way is to cook the same broth, but lightly salted. After which they are combined together.
It is unlikely to be possible to correct the already frozen jelly without additional cooking.
Can I finish boiling the jello the next day?
Cooking a pork shank chłodnika sometimes takes up to 8 hours. With a busy lifestyle, it is impossible to cook everything in one evening. Therefore, sometimes the process can stretch for several days. But some rules must be observed.
On the first day, boil the jelly for at least an hour and a half after boiling. If the meat is undercooked, the shelf life of the finished product will be markedly reduced. Store the pot with uncooked semi-finished product in the cold. If you need to cool it quickly in order to put it in the refrigerator, you can pour cold water into a large container and place the pot there. At the same time, sometimes you need to stir the contents to speed up the process.
The next day, the chłodec is first heated over low heat and only then brought to a boil.
What to do if there is a lot of water in the jello
Sometimes it happens that the proportions of water and meat are calculated incorrectly and there is not enough collagen in the broth. There is a risk that the chłodeche will not solidify. There are three ways out of this situation without losses:
- If there is enough meat products in the jelly, then the dish will have to be saved with gelatin. It is important not to overdo it.
- When there is not enough meat, you can boil chicken in the broth. It cooks the fastest. A pressure cooker can help speed up the process.
- Excess broth can be used to make soups. It is frozen in bags and stored in the freezer. Before using it, do not forget to dilute it with water about half.
How to properly store jelly
The process of cooking jelly takes a long time, so few people cook it in small quantities. Perhaps the question of how to preserve the finished product, does not arise only before some family celebrations, where relatives and friends are invited. A tasty dish, most likely, will be eaten without a trace.
In the refrigerator jelly will definitely last about a week without losing its qualities. However, it is advisable to make sure that it remains frozen. The jelly should be covered with a lid. If you used eggs or vegetables for decoration, it is better to eat the dish within 2-3 days.
Also, you need to pay attention to the fact that the jelly part completely covers the meat fibers. Otherwise, it is better to eat the cooked dish first.
In a situation when there is a lot of jelly, or for some reason it was necessary to process the by-products, it can be frozen. At low temperatures outside jelly in a container or plastic bag can be stored on the balcony. A freezer will serve as an alternative. But before you eat the dish, it should be boiled again and only then put it to freeze. Do not just defrost on the shelf in the refrigerator, it can lead to food poisoning. Since it is not recommended to repeatedly put the jelly in the freezer, it is better to take care beforehand that the product is divided into portions. So it will be more convenient to take the amount that is needed at a given time. In this way you can extend the shelf life up to two months.
Usually only the jelly part is preserved. The product can be stored in sterilized jars, hermetically sealed, for up to two years. It does not have to be kept out in the cold.
What mistakes are made when cooking jello
Despite the fact that chłodec refers to simple dishes, there are still some subtleties in its preparation. Some mistakes made can lead to the fact that the jelly will not solidify or will be unpalatable.
- In the pot poured too much or not enough water. A large amount of liquid will lead to the fact that in the jelly will have to add gelatin, otherwise wait for it to solidify, you do not have to. If there is too little broth, the dish will taste too stiff and unpalatable.
- In the process of cooking added water. This is not recommended.
- You cut the meat with a blender or meat grinder. Turned into a puree, it spoils the appearance of the finished chłodnik. Thanks to the long boiling time, it will become soft anyway. And disassembling the meat by hand will help to avoid getting even the smallest bones in the mold for cooling.
- The use of a large amount of gelatin will give the chłodnik a "plastic" taste, and the jelly part will make it too dense.
- Remove the layer of fat from the already cooked product. This gives the dish an unaesthetic appearance. It is better to do this when the broth has not yet poured into forms.
- Cook unleavened jelly. In former times, no spices were added to jelly, and the salt was put a minimum amount. The taste of the ready jelly was improved by sauces made of horseradish, mustard or adjika. This was done to preserve the unleavened product for longer. With the advent of refrigerators, this problem is a thing of the past. Therefore, it is better to add the necessary ingredients immediately, when cooking.
«Important: All information on this site is provided solely for introductory purposes. Before applying any recommendations, consult a health care professional. specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."