Kohlrabi: useful properties and contraindications
Kohlrabi in appearance has little resemblance to cabbage. Therefore, in our country it has not yet managed to win the love and popularity it deserves. But in European countries, this Mediterranean crop is an integral part of the cuisine. From the vegetable product there are prepared a lot of tasty and healthy dishes. Especially widely used unusual cabbage in dietary nutrition, on its basis prepare decoctions according to folk recipes. Behind the modest appearance of the root vegetable hides a real treasure of a huge number of minerals and vitamins. To appreciate the value of this fruit, it is necessary to include it in the diet. But first we should get acquainted with the queen of cabbage, as gardeners call kohlrabi.
- What is kohlrabi
- Composition and calories
- Useful properties of kohlrabi cabbage
- For Women
- For Men
- In Pregnancy
- For Children
- How is the juice from kohlrabi useful?
- Kohlrabi cabbage in medicine
- Diabetes Mellitus
- In pancreatitis
- In gout
- Harms and Contraindications
- How to choose and store
- Can I Freeze?
- How to Peel Kohlrabi Sprouts
- How to cook delicious kohlrabi cabbage
- What can be cooked from kohlrabi cabbage: Recipes
- How to marinade
- Can I Eat Kohlrabi Leaves
- Can I give kohlrabi leaves to animals?
- Interesting Facts
What is kohlrabi
Kohlrabi is firmly entrenched in the name "cabbage turnip", which is consonant with the literal translation from the German botanical name of the culture - "kohl" (cabbage), "rube" (turnip). The vegetable is also often referred to as stem turnip.
The main characteristics of the crop:
- This two-year-old herbaceous plant is a variety of its close relative - white cabbage, so it belongs to the Cruciferous family.
- As an adult, kohlrabi is a fused stem and globular fruit, which is not hidden under the ground, but rises above its surface.
- Interestingly, in the first year of life grows turnip-shaped stem of green or purple color, depending on the variety of culture.
- In the second year, a shoot with a brush-like inflorescence is formed.
- The fruit of kohlrabi is a pod with seeds that last for five years.
- The cabbage turnip is unpretentious about living conditions, but likes an abundance of light. The crop tolerates the cold well.
Note: All parts of kohlrabi are considered edible, and the white juicy flesh combines the taste of radish oil and cabbage sprouts.
Stem cabbage is characterized by species diversity:
- Early varieties of kohlrabi are more popular with gardeners because they perfectly meet the need for fresh greens at a time when other vegetables are just getting ripe. Their ripening time ranges from 60 to 80 days.
- Medium-ripening varieties of Mediterranean cabbage are great for stuffing and stewing.
- Late varieties go for making marinades and winter preserves.
Popular early varieties:
- Picant has an excellent taste and impressive size of fruits - up to 0.9 kg. Such cabbage is suitable for long-term winter storage.
- Viennese white kohlrabi cabbage does not have such dimensions. The weight of the fruit does not exceed 250 g, and their delicate sweet flavor meets a variety of culinary objectives.
- Smak is designed for preparing salads. The weight of the fruits of this variety reaches 0.5-0.7 kg, and their juicy flesh attracts a sweetish taste. Cabbage of this variety is distinguished by its dark purple coloring.
- Moravia is a Czech variety that is resistant to cold. The weight of some specimens exceeds 2 kg.
- Delicacy white kohlrabi is an ultra-rapid variety. After planting, it is possible to remove the fruit already in 35-40 days. The advantage of this variety is considered to be low callus and high taste characteristics.
- Atena is also a Czech variety. Light green fruits are similar in size to a large apple. More suitable for consumption in raw form.
Late ripening varieties
Late varieties of kohlrabi reach ripe maturity in four to five months. The most popular ones are:
- Giant is a variety bred by Czech breeders. It is more suitable for growing in regions with dry and hot climate. Fruits reach a weight of 6-7 kg.
- Violetta are very popular among cooks. The sprouts weighing up to 1.3 kg are colored in bright purple shades. Excellent for making salads.
As you can see, cabbage turnips are able to meet the hopes of the cook of any level. All cultivated varieties can be used to prepare a variety of dishes.
Composition and calories
Kohlrabi cabbage is on the list of the most vitamin-rich vegetables. This crop enjoyed great popularity back in the days of prosperity of the Roman Empire. It was valued for its high nutritional value and ability to restore strength quickly. That is why the juicy fruits were used to prepare hearty dishes for soldiers.
Centuries have changed, and with them the taste preferences, but the Mediterranean cabbage has remained a staple in the diet of people around the world.
In recent years, domestic amateur gardeners also willingly grow this useful vegetable on their plots. The main advantage of kohlrabi is that even after long storage and freezing its composition does not change. Let us list the main active substances:
- Vitamin complex includes almost a full group of vitamins B, retinol, tocopherol, folic acid and nicotinic acid. But ascorbic acid or vitamin C deserves special attention. The content of this component in cabbage turnip is so high that even lemon can not compete with the vegetable in this indicator.
- Mineral elements: sulfur, molybdenum, boron, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and a long list of substances of this group. And in terms of calcium content, kohlrabi is not inferior to such popular products as eggs, milk and cheese. And potassium and magnesium in turnip stalks are more than in apples and seaweed.
- Antioxidants are also present in the amazing vegetable. We especially want to mention selenium, which provides antioxidant protection for the entire body.
- Insoluble fiber (cellulose) provides cleansing of bile acids and cholesterol from the body tissues. The presence of this component in food inhibits the digestion of fats with carbohydrates and also prevents the formation of gallstones and duct stones.
- Glucose and fructose not only form the taste of the vegetable, they provide energy for all biochemical processes. Kohlrabi surpasses even strawberries and carrots in the content of natural sugars.
- The Mediterranean cabbage also contains vegetable proteins, but there is very little fat in it - about 1.2%.
The most surprising thing is that with such a rich set the caloric value of the vegetable is just over 40 units. That's why kohlrabi enjoys special authority among dietitians.
It is useful to know: The uniqueness of kohlrabi turnip is that at low calories, the fruit has a high nutritional value. Simple vegetable dishes from Mediterranean cabbage turn out to be very nourishing.
Useful properties of kohlrabi cabbage
In addition to its unique composition and high gastronomic characteristics, kohlrabi cabbage has a number of medicinal properties. Scientists from around the world conducted clinical trials, the results of which showed that the presence of the vegetable in the diet has the following positive effects:
- normalizes metabolic processes;
- Improves liver function;
- stimulates digestion;
- cleans the blood vessels, which reduces the risk of heart attacks;
- strengthens the immune system;
- normalizes blood pressure;
- prevents the development of cancer;
- improves intestinal peristalsis;
- effectively cleanses the body of toxins;
- has a mild sedative effect;
- Helps to combat swelling, because it helps to eliminate excess fluid;
- Exhibits antibacterial activity;
- increases metabolism;
- Promotes productive weight loss.
Kohlrabi cabbage has a beneficial effect on the heart and balances the psycho-emotional balance. It is no accident leading nutritionists recommend to include dishes of Mediterranean cabbage in the daily menu of elderly people. After all, with age the state of blood vessels deteriorates, develops arterial hypertension and angina pectoris. Therefore, the presence in the food of such a useful product will be the most reliable prevention, preventing the development of age-related diseases.
This is interesting: One other indicator of cabbage turnips wins over white cabbage: even when eating the raw product there is no nausea and increased formation of gas.
- Vitamin component of the vegetable, first of all, is useful in that it will provide immunity resistance to various infections.
- The problem of many modern women is overweight. If you include a dish of Mediterranean cabbage in your diet program, you can restore the former forms in a short period of time.
- The presence in the composition of antioxidants cleanses the body at the cellular level from toxins that often cause cancer.
- Kohlrabi is considered the best preventive agent against breast cancer.
- The antioxidant properties of the vegetable inhibit the aging process, which is good for the appearance.
Note: Scientists have proven through research that women who regularly consume kohlrabi cabbage and other vegetables look youthful even in old age.
The representatives of the stronger half of mankind are subjected to more strain than women. To compensate the physical and emotional losses you can use turnip stalks. Athletes and people engaged in heavy physical labor should pay special attention to this useful vegetable. After all, it is no accident that in ancient times warriors increased their strength and endurance with the help of kohlrabi. The content of zinc and selenium in the vegetable has a positive effect on the reproductive system of men. Therefore, sexual problems can also be solved quickly and effectively, if you regularly use this product.
Many products during pregnancy for future mothers are forbidden. But for kohlrabi, doctors and nutritionists have made an exception. On the contrary, they strongly recommend them to eat this vegetable in raw, boiled and stewed form. The benefits of such a vegetable diet are as follows:
- A rich vitamin set will take care of the normal condition of the immune system of the woman and the unborn child.
- The presence of iron will help to keep hemoglobin within normal limits. After all, pregnant women often suffer from anemia.
- The ability of the vegetable to normalize the water balance will help to cope with edema.
- A frequent problem of pregnant women is a tendency to constipation. And this problem is easily solved by Mediterranean cabbage.
An important point: It is advisable for expectant mothers to boil the fruit or cook it on steam. Only sometimes for a change you can add kohlrabi to a salad or make a vitamin smoothie.
In the first months after childbirth, a woman's body needs support. Mediterranean cabbage can become a reliable source of vitamins. However, you should not use the vegetable in its raw form, because the high fiber content in the vegetable product can cause colic in the baby. Care should be taken with fresh vegetables for the first three months of a baby's life. When the critical period is over, you can once again enjoy the pleasant taste of kohlrabi. This type of cabbage increases lactation and does not allow fats to be stored, which is important for every nursing woman.
Kohlrabi is considered the most desirable product for baby food. Tender vegetable purees are given to babies as a complementary food from six months of age. Rich in nutrients, the vegetable will improve the immune defenses of the growing body, strengthen bones, and promote the intellectual development of the little man. Since kohlrabi dishes quickly give a feeling of fullness, the child's stomach and intestines will not be overloaded, which will ensure regular stools.
Older children, in the absence of allergic manifestations, it is advisable to give kohlrabi several times a week in different forms. This vegetable is especially useful for those kids who do not eat well. A hundred grams portion of stewed vegetable or salad will saturate the child's body, as well as provide the tissues with a set of necessary elements.
Note: For children's diet, you need to select strong and without signs of spoilage. It is very important to know under what conditions the vegetable products were grown. If fertilizers and chemicals from pests were used, such cabbage should not be given to a child.
When losing weight
As part of the Mediterranean cabbage, there is a special substance - arginine. This amino acid is considered the best fat-burning agent. When ingested with food, arginine is activated, speeding up the metabolism and cleansing the body of toxins. Due to these actions, extra pounds go away naturally. For those who are busy with the task of losing weight, it is best to include salads with a fresh vegetable in the menu. You can, for example, use this simple recipe:
Ingredients of a light salad:
- kohlrabi - 2 small fruits;
- lemon juice - 1 tsp;
- olive oil - 2 tsp;
- herbs: onion, dill, parsley;
The cooking process is quick and simple:
- After peeling from the skin, grate the fruit of the Mediterranean vegetable, salt.
- Finely chop the spicy greens with a knife, send to the cabbage.
- Stir the salad, sprinkle with lemon juice, lastly add oil.
Addition: Prepared by this recipe salad will be a bright addition to the family menu. The dish is very light, but hearty.
What is useful for the juice of kohlrabi
The juice of the stem turnip deserves special attention. This valuable natural product has been actively used in folk medicine for centuries, because it has a wide range of action. Methods of use:
- At the initial stage of respiratory diseases prepare a drink according to this scheme: take ½ tsp. fresh juice of kohlrabi, the same dose of onion juice and dilute it all in a glass of warm milk. Before using, add 1 tsp. honey.
- For dental problems, sore throat and laryngitis do the following: mix in equal parts cabbage juice and warm boiled water. With the resulting composition, rinse several times a day the mouth cavity or throat.
- For the prevention of cardiovascular disease come in handy this recipe: a glass of fresh juice kohlrabi take 2 tsp of grapefruit juice. Drink the vitamin mixture about 40 minutes before a meal.
- Universal remedy is prepared according to the following algorithm: dice a small juicy fruit of kohlrabi, then pass the vegetable through a juicer, add honey and mix. You can take a strengthening composition for two weeks for a few minutes before a meal.
Fresh cabbage turnip juice helps relieve inflammation in cholecystitis, it is taken as a diuretic in pyelonephritis and cystitis.
Kohlrabi cabbage in medicine
Although in official medicine Mediterranean cabbage is not considered as a means of treatment, doctors and nutritionists recommend this vegetable for dietary program. In the practice of folk healers are actively used recipes with kohlrabi for the treatment and prevention of various diseases:
- joint problems;
- intestinal disorders;
- disorders of the urinary system;
- cardiovascular diseases;
- colds and other respiratory diseases;
- sexual weakness in men.
Given the great nutritional value and rich composition of stem cabbage, professional physicians willingly recommend their patients to include folk recipes in the general course of therapy. Of course, such a supplement to the treatment is possible after consultation with a specialist and in the absence of contraindications.
With the second type of diabetes, it is necessary to include in the menu dishes of turnip cabbage. Such a diet will contribute to the normal course of metabolic processes, and the low caloric content of the vegetable will help to maintain body weight within normal limits. In addition, the rapid digestion of the product does not allow an increase in blood sugar, which is also important for the health of sick people. Dishes with Mediterranean cabbage are nourishing and nutritious, since the vegetable is rich in vitamins and minerals. Therefore, the presence of such a useful product in the diet will help the body maintain a normal balance of substances.
Important: The glycemic index of kohlrabi is 20 units.
Any kind of cabbage in pancreatic inflammation is undesirable to eat, especially in periods of exacerbation. The fresh vegetable will only increase the irritating effect on the inflamed organ, which can aggravate the course of the disease. But in the period of stable remission, if the patient has good tolerance of this vegetable to diversify the meager diet, you can cook dishes from cabbage turnips on steam or stew.
Stem cabbage contains a whole group of powerful antioxidants that can neutralize the aggressive action of harmful acids. Therefore, different dishes with the addition of kohlrabi will be very useful in gout. For example, to alleviate the condition, the patient can take a drink prepared according to the following scheme:
- First, with the help of a juicer get cabbage juice.
- Then add to the vegetable nectar 1 tbsp. honey and a pinch of finely chopped walnuts.
- Thoroughly mix the mass.
- Take a few sips before meals. The course of such therapy is designed for a month, but no more.
Harm and contraindications
The benefits of Mediterranean cabbage are so huge that dishes from it are allowed to consume even future mothers and toddlers. But even the high degree of safety of the vegetable product does not exclude the presence of restrictions. The list of contraindications includes the following conditions:
- acute pancreatitis;
- gastritis with high acidity;
- Hypotension (low blood pressure);
- Exacerbation of peptic ulcer disease;
- Individual intolerance to this product.
Also note that the main disadvantage of kohlrabi is the ability to accumulate salts of nitric acid, that is, nitrates. Therefore, if you want to expand your diet with a vitamin vegetable, you should always take this point into account. It is better to buy such products in proven stores or from private individuals. And the most ideal option is to grow this useful crop on your own plot of land.
If you do not have the cherished garden plot, then the store-bought vegetable should be soaked in salted water before cooking.
Important: It is undesirable to consume kohlrabi, especially in raw form, at night, since the product contains components that have diuretic properties.
How to choose and store
The process of choosing a Mediterranean vegetable is not as difficult as it may seem. It is necessary to be guided by only two rules:
- Preference should be given to young specimens, because they are tastier and healthier. It is easy to determine the age of the cabbage by the fresh greenness of the leaves and the firmness of the fruit itself. The taste of old kohlrabi cabbage smacks of wood, and its usefulness is much less.
- The second rule is that before buying, it is necessary to examine the leaves well: the presence of small dotted black spots on them indicates the presence of harmful nitrates in the vegetable products. Of course, the product with such an unpleasant addition should not be bought.
How to store
It is desirable to use fresh fruits immediately, because they quickly lose their useful qualities. The maximum allowable storage time of kohlrabi in refrigerator conditions - 3 weeks. But if the vegetable is dried in the oven, sliced into small pieces, the shelf life of such a semi-finished product will extend. The ideal option - freezing.
Can I freeze
Kohlrabi cabbage is not only possible, but also necessary to freeze. If the vegetable is properly prepared for this type of storage, the vitamin composition, as well as all the mineral additives, will be preserved for nine months. But the most important advantage of this method is that the frozen product in terms of taste characteristics is not inferior to fresh cabbage. With such a semi-finished product, you can prepare exactly the same dishes as from the fruit, which has just been removed from the bed. But in order to prepare the cauliflower, the following steps must be taken:
- For freezing, select ripe, but not overripe specimens. Old cabbage has a tough core. On the surface of the vegetable should not be present signs of disease and damage.
- Before sending it to the freezer, each fruit should be well washed, dried, then peeled.
- For long-term storage in the freezer, it is best to cut the product in any arbitrary shape. Some housewives rub the vegetable on a grater. It all depends on what dishes the frozen product will be used for in winter.
- Next, salt the slices of kohlrabi and leave for 20-30 minutes in this form, so that the bitterness and excess moisture is removed from the vegetable.
- After this procedure, rinse the vegetable again and blanch for 3-4 minutes in boiling water. For this purpose, it is better to use a sieve, and the procedure "in the bath" is not subjected to the whole mass at once, but small portions of chopped fruit.
- After blanching, cool the cabbage, dry it, then distribute it in plastic bags and send it to the freezer for storage.
You can freeze Mediterranean cabbage and without pre-blanching, but in this case, it will lose juiciness. You can store the vegetable products after a full cycle of processing for 9-10 months.
Useful tip: It is best to prepare vegetable blends for freezing. For example, kohlrabi is very well combined with other types of cabbage: broccoli, Brussels, cauliflower. Such a vegetable composition is suitable for cooking soups and side dishes. Excellent combines Mediterranean cabbage with carrots, zucchini, peas.
How to peel kohlrabi cabbage
In principle, cleaning kohlrabi cabbage is not difficult if you remember a few simple recommendations:
- Rinse the rinsed fruit a little dry.
- Then cut off carefully the lower part, where the stem connects to the fruit.
- With a sharp knife, remove the skin from the entire surface of the cabbage.
The method of cleaning kohlrabi resembles the same procedure, which should be done with pineapple. The peeled fruit can be used immediately or put in storage in the refrigerator. If you intend to freeze the product, it should be cut into small pieces.
How to cook kohlrabi cabbage deliciously
Kohlrabi is delicious in any form of cooking. Therefore, any special measures to improve the taste of vegetable dishes do not need to take. From the useful vegetable cook dishes of any category, and all of them are great for the family menu.
But a few practical tips will help hostesses to quickly prepare a meal from the queen of all cabbage:
- Do not boil the kohlrabi whole, but sliced. Cooking time - no more than 5 minutes. During this time, the vegetable becomes soft, but does not lose its useful properties.
- It is recommended to boil the Mediterranean cabbage before roasting, because the fresh vegetable acquires an unpleasant taste when intensively heat treated.
- Fry, for example, kohlrabi cutlets until golden in color.
- It is better to stew the cabbage turnip, too, for no more than a quarter of an hour. The vegetable combines very well with meat and other vegetables in this form of cooking.
- Before baking in the oven, it is necessary to soak kohlrabi in salt water, so that the bitterness is gone. Cooking time depends on the characteristics of the dish, but the temperature should not exceed 185 ° C.
What can be cooked from kohlrabi cabbage: recipes
Despite its unusual taste, kohlrabi is a success with the world's best cooks. Given the useful properties of the Mediterranean vegetable, housewives should follow the example of professionals. After all, a huge number of interesting dishes can be prepared from kohlrabi turnips. Kohlrabi is good in any form: fried, boiled or baked. The vegetable perfectly combines with cheese and mushrooms, exotic fruits and apples. It can be cooked as a standalone dish or added to fish and meat snacks. Kohlrabi also makes a hearty side dish. Some housewives even use it to make pancakes.
We offer several simple in execution, but original in content recipes with kohlrabi.
This easy salad can be prepared every day. The set of products that will be needed, can be found in every kitchen:
- kohlrabi cabbage - about ½ kg;
- onion (red kind) - 1 pc;
- vegetable oil - for dressing;
- vinegar (white wine preferably) - 1-2 tbsp;
- soy sauce - to taste;
- green peas - 50-70 grams of pods.
Algorithm of action:
- Stem kohlrabi cut into thin petals.
- Cut the onion in half rings, and the pods of peas - in cubes.
- In a deep bowl, combine all ingredients, add oil, dressing and honey.
- Serve the salad.
To prepare a vitamin soup of kohlrabi you will need the following ingredients:
- potatoes - 30 g;
- cabbage - 50 gr;
- Onion and carrot - 15 grams each;
- tomato - 1 pc;
- celery - 5 g
- parsley root - 7 g;
- salt, pepper - to taste;
- vegetable oil - 10 ml;
- Sour cream - to taste.
All proportions are given for one serving.
Stages of cooking vegetable soup:
- Peel and slice all vegetables, except potatoes and cabbage.
- Fry in vegetable oil.
- Dice potatoes and kohlrabi.
- Put the cabbage for a couple of minutes in boiling water, then throw in a colander.
- Put the sliced kohlrabi into clean water and simmer for half an hour.
- Add potatoes.
- When the contents come to the boil, add the passaged root vegetables, herbs, tomato slices.
- Before serving, dress the soup with sour cream, garnish with herbs.
Kohlrabi cabbage cutlets will delight even the pickiest gourmets. Such a vegetable dish has a subtle exquisite taste, and gives a feeling of satiety no worse than meat cutlets.
List of products:
- kohlrabi - 0.5 kg;
- egg - 1 pc;
- home cheese - 60-70 grams;
- salt, black pepper - to taste;
- flour - 2-3 tbsp;
- vegetable oil - for frying.
- The fruit, peeled from the skin, grate on a medium grater.
- Salt the cabbage mass, leave it for 10 minutes, so that it empties the juice.
- Squeeze out the liquid, and in the resulting preparation beat an egg, add grated bryndza, pepper and flour.
- Mix the mass well, and then divide it into equal parts, from which to mold the patties.
- Fry the kohlrabi vegetable cutlets until golden brown on both sides.
- For more softness stew the cutlets under a lid for a few minutes.
Such a dish can be included in the diet of children and pregnant women.
Such a vitamin drink will suit not only slimming persons, but also future mothers, children and people who care about their health. Smoothie from kohlrabi with the addition of other vegetables and fruits can replace the day's snack or dinner. The mixture turns out very tasty and nutritious, and for its preparation you will need the following products:
- Carrot - 2 pcs;
- pear - 1 pc;
- Medium kohlrabi fruit - half;
- celery - 2 stalks;
- pumpkin seeds - 2 handfuls;
- cream - 2 tbsp;
- filtered water - 150 ml.
How to cook:
- Chop or grate all the above vegetables and fruits.
- Place chopped components in a blender, add water, whip until puree.
- Place the ready dessert in tall glasses. Top with a spoonful of heavy cream and some pumpkin seeds.
How to pickle
Pragmatic housewives have long used kohlrabi instead of the usual white cabbage for pickling for the winter. Making such preparations can be done in several ways. Here is an example of a variant that does not require sterilization.
The sequence of preparation of pickled stem turnips:
- First peel the fruit from the leaves, remove the skin, rinse and dry.
- Then cut into small slices.
- Preparations drop in boiling water, add 2 tbsp of table vinegar.
- After this procedure, drain the water, and the cabbage slice put into jars.
- Further actions are the same as for marinating other vegetable products: add a few cloves of garlic, dill umbrellas, basil, coriander and other herbs.
- Then make a marinade with a liter of water, 80 grams of sugar and 60 grams of salt.
- Bring the solution to a boil, add another 100 ml of vinegar.
- Pour the prepared marinade over the sliced cabbage.
- Close the jars with sealed lids. When the brine cools, store in a cellar or a cold room.
Can I eat kohlrabi leaves
It is known that most of the nutrients in most cabbage varieties are concentrated in the leaves. Therefore, when assessing the culinary qualities of kohlrabi, the question also arises about the possibility of using the leaves for culinary purposes. Indeed, this part of the crop is widely used for adding to salads, meat dishes and even soups. But only fresh greens of impeccable quality are suitable for cooking. Before cooking, the leaves should be thoroughly rinsed under running water.
Can I give kohlrabi cabbage to animals
Kohlrabi is considered a valuable fodder for all herbivorous animals. Fodder varieties are specially grown for this purpose. The vegetable product is used both fresh and ensilaged. Kohlrabi is an excellent dairy food. The chemical composition of such cabbage is high in protein, ascorbic acid and fiber. Forage varieties give high yields: 300-400 quintals of valuable fodder can be harvested from one hectare.
Kohlrabi is especially adored by rabbits. They gladly eat not only the fruit itself, but also the green mass of the plant. Young rabbits are given up to 300 grams of vitamin food at one meal, and adults - 600 grams. Even sauerkraut kohlrabi rabbits devour with great pleasure. But such a treat should be given to eared pets only in winter. In small quantities and in boiled form, the vegetable can be given to dogs.
- The modern geography of kohlrabi cultivation covers mainly the Mediterranean region. It is here that this strange cabbage first appeared in the XIV century. But the sweet, pleasant taste, which is uncharacteristic of the vegetable, was so liked by people in other countries that the globular fruit began to spread very quickly around the planet. Despite this, the stem turnip has remained committed to its original homeland, because the largest areas of this crop are in the Mediterranean regions.
- In ancient Rome, kohlrabi chowder was considered a traditional dish among the poor.
- In modern France, stem turnips are very popular with those who seek to lose weight. Vegetable dishes made with the "queen of all cabbages" are served in the best French restaurants.
- Again in France, with the help of special equipment, kohlrabi is made into pasta and then marinated in orange juice.
To summarize, it remains to add that kohlrabi justifies its flavor ranks as a leader among vegetables. It perfectly combines low calories and high levels of health benefits.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only. for informational purposes only. Please consult with your health care professional before using any of the recommendations. specialist before using any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."