Romanesco cabbage: useful properties and contraindications
Romanesco - unusual in appearance and useful in its composition of cabbage. The product is dietary and well digested. Vegetable crop is a hybrid of cauliflower and broccoli, it is grown in warm regions with moderate watering and the use of alkaline fertilizer.
- What is romanesco
- Composition and calories
- Useful properties of romanesco sprouts
- Harms and contraindications
- How to choose and store
- How to cook romanesco cabbage: recipes
- Omelet with romanesco
- Soup puree
- Florets in batter
- Coral cabbage baked with cheese
- Healthy Vegetable Salad
- Oven cooked romanesco with milk and cheese
- An appetizer of capers, romanesco, Brussels and cauliflower
- Romanesco in sabayon sauce
- Can you eat romanesco cabbage raw
- How to grow romanesco cabbage
- Interesting Facts
What is romanesco
The crop belongs to the cabbage family. Cultivated the vegetable in Italy, perfected in the Netherlands. The cabbage consists of light green buds that grow in a spiral and give the plant an alien appearance. The inflorescences are surrounded by leaves.
Only the head of the vegetable crop is consumed, it tastes like seaweed. There is no harsh smell or bitterness. The product is sweet with nutty and creamy notes. Such cabbage is also called coral cabbage, it has a lot of dietary fiber, minerals and vitamins. The sprouts can have different sizes and weights. In general, they weigh no more than 0.5 kg. The better the care, the larger the cabbage.
There are several basic varieties of romanesco:
- Emerald Cup. A variety of medium maturity. The weight of the cabbage is about 500 g.
- Pearl. The maturity date is medium-late, the weight is about 800 g.
- Puntoverde. Cabbage is quite large - up to 1.5 kg. This variety is characterized by medium maturity dates.
- Veronica. As with the previous variant, the maturity period is medium, the weight of heads of cabbage is the maximum of all varieties - about 2 kg.
Composition and calories
The product is low-calorie, 100 g contains only 30 kcal. Carbohydrates, proteins and fats in the composition of 4.2, 2.5, 0.3 g, respectively. Romanesco contains water, dietary fiber, ash, starch, phytoncides, organic and unsaturated fatty acids.
The vitamin composition is represented by B vitamins (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9), A (and its provitamin), E, C, H, K. Of minerals there is phosphorus, sodium, zinc, potassium, manganese, magnesium. In addition, cabbage contains iron, copper, selenium, fluorine, calcium.
Useful properties of Romanesco cabbage
- The vegetable does not cause allergic reactions and helps to get rid of the metallic taste in the mouth, restores the sensitivity of the taste buds for taste disorders.
- The product helps to stop the processes of putrefaction and fermentation in the intestines, strengthen teeth and bones, restore cells with inflammatory processes.
- Cabbage is included in dietary menus when combating obesity.
- Romanesco is also consumed to maintain normal functioning of the kidneys, liver, pancreas and thyroid gland.
Medics recommend including romanesco sprouts in the diet during the period of childbearing because they contain a lot of folic acid. During pregnancy the need for high levels of this substance increases. Taking folic acid begins when planning a pregnancy and continues until the end of pregnancy, additionally consuming foods containing this component.
Useful properties are as follows:
- Improvement of cerebral circulation. Thanks to the positive effect on the functioning of the main organ of the CNS, more oxygen enters the cells.
- Strengthening of the heart muscle. When consuming the product, the body receives important substances for the heart - vitamins B, K, omega-3. As a result, the heart rhythm is normalized.
- Protection against the harm of free radicals. Cabbage of the species in question contains antioxidants and fiber. By introducing the vegetable into the diet, the risk of developing cancer processes is reduced.
- Protection against infectious diseases. Minerals, vitamins and antioxidants increase the body's defenses needed to fight off harmful microorganisms.
- Normalization of sugar levels, removal of harmful cholesterol. Fiber helps to normalize the content of these substances in the blood.
- Improvement of vision. Vitamin A helps to restore the healthy state of the eye. In spiral inflorescences it is contained in large quantities. With sufficient levels of the vitamin, degeneration of the yellow spot in the retina is prevented.
- Restoration of impaired functions of the digestive system. Cabbage dietary fiber helps to establish the work of the digestive tract organs and contributes to the gentle removal of toxins, heavy metals.
- Stimulation of blood circulation. Iron is directed to activate the production of red blood cells, as a result restores the full process of oxygen supply to tissues and organs.
- Strengthening the nervous system. Ingredients of the product helps to combat stress and insomnia.
Powerful vitamin and mineral composition contributes to the development of such effects:
- metabolic acceleration;
- partial purification of the body from harmful cholesterol and toxic substances;
- increasing the elasticity of vascular walls, strengthening blood vessels;
- normalization of blood clotting;
- Improvement in diarrhea, constipation, hemorrhoids;
- Strengthening of the nail plate, giving a healthy appearance to the hair;
- restoration of intestinal microflora;
- protection against cancer, atherosclerosis, pathological processes in the lungs;
- Inhibition of the processes of formation and development of tumor cells;
- elimination of blood clotting disorders.
If you regularly use romanesco, it will be easier for the body to cope with infectious agents. In addition, the recovery process of damaged skin will be accelerated.
If the child has no health problems, romanesco is given as a complementary food from 8 months of age. Given the attractive appearance of the vegetable, it is likely that at an older age, the baby will eat it with pleasure.
Harm and contraindications
Romanesco sprouts are not always beneficial for the body. When it is consumed, there may be some harm for people prone to increased gas and prone to diarrhea (with the careful introduction of the product in the diet, the problem may not arise). The same applies to people with acute heart disease and serious thyroid disorders.
There are a number of contraindications:
- Acute cardiac diseases. It is necessary to give up all products containing dietary fiber, because they increase the pressure in the blood vessels.
- Serious thyroid disorders (possible deterioration).
- Individual intolerance to the ingredients of the product. Appears rarely, but still can develop an allergic reaction.
- Tendency to disorders in the digestive system, such as increased gas formation, diarrhea and bloating. In such cases, cabbage can be left in the diet, but not in fresh, but in cooked form. It can be boiled and stewed. Frying is not recommended because it destroys the useful substances.
If consumed in excess, cabbage is harmful even to healthy people. Unpleasant consequences appear in the form of increased gas, bloating, diarrhea. If such disorders are observed even when the product is present in the diet rarely and in moderate amounts, it is better to subject it to heat treatment. In addition, in order for the vegetable to be better digested, you should not combine it with fatty meat, legumes, mushrooms.
How to choose and store
Going to the store or market, you need to carefully inspect the cabbage:
- The selected fruit should not be deformed. The shape is pyramidal, and there are no lesions or dents.
- The leaves are fresh, not twisted at the cut, there are no spots.
- The surface of the fruit is not covered with snow powder or crushed ice.
Romanesco can be purchased not only fresh but also canned. Keep in mind that after harvesting the vegetable can not be kept in the refrigerator for a long time, because it spoils quickly. But it can be frozen, and then all the nutrients are preserved. Thanks to deep freezing, the healthy cabbage can be consumed at any time of the year.
How to cook Romanesco cabbage: recipes
Cabbage of this kind is widely used in cooking. It is stewed, baked, boiled, fried (but briefly and with the addition of a small amount of oil), grilled and steamed. The unusual vegetable is consumed alone and used to prepare casseroles, salads, appetizers, side dishes and soups. Thanks to the addition of such an ingredient as romanesco, dishes are given a pleasant creamy-nutty taste.
Cabbage is combined with seafood, fish, lean meat (turkey, chicken fillet), other vegetables and used as an original decoration. It supplements sources of complex carbohydrates (buckwheat, whole-grain pasta, quinoa, brown rice). It is cooked in the same way as cauliflower, but it is easier to digest. There are many recipes for cooking romanesco as a standalone dish with a peculiar taste.
- cabbage - a cabbage cabbage - a cabbage cabbage cabbage - a cabbage cabbage cabbage - a cabbage cabbage cabbage;
- turkey (filet) - 300 g;
- Carrot, onion, bell bell pepper - 1 pc;
- garlic - 1 clove.
- Fillet is sliced and sent to the pan. Small pieces of turkey cook with minimal heat stew method.
- The meat is stewed for 15 minutes, in the process of cooking the ingredient add chopped vegetables.
- In parallel, for 15 minutes (not longer, otherwise the vegetable will fall apart) romanesco boiled in salted water. The cabbage should become soft, while remaining firm. Next, it cools and disassemble into florets.
- All products combine, add salt and pepper to taste and mix. The garlic is put in the salad last.
Omelet with romanesco
This dish is hearty and healthy, quick to prepare. This is a great option for breakfast. The main thing is to prepare the mushrooms and cabbage in the evening.
- cabbage - 150 g;
- cheese - 50 gr;
- mushrooms - 3-5 pcs;
- eggs - 4 pcs;
- tomatoes - 2 pcs;
- flour - 1 tbsp;
- onion - half;
- soy sauce and spices - to taste.
- Cabbage is divided into florets and boiled in salted water for 5 minutes.
- Mushrooms are scalded with boiling water. This recipe uses mushrooms (oyster mushrooms are also sufficient only to scald), but you can take other mushrooms and boil them for 15 minutes.
- Cooled mushrooms are cut into plates, onions are diced, tomatoes are cut into circles.
- The eggs are beaten, then spices, flour and cheese are added and mixed until homogeneous.
- Lightly fried onions are mixed with tomatoes and kept on the stove until the liquid evaporates.
- Pour the mushrooms and cabbage in the pan. Ingredients are stirred.
- After 1 minute, pour in the eggs and at minimum heat, cook them until tender (it takes about 7 minutes).
Mashed Potato Soup
- Romanesco - 1 cauldron;
- Carrots, potatoes, onions, bell peppers - 1 piece each.
- Cabbage is boiled, the cooled product is divided into parts. Do not pour out the water, it will still be useful.
- The rest of the vegetables are cleaned and diced. They are combined with romanesco and poured into a saucepan with a thick bottom, where vegetable oil was poured beforehand. The contents of the pan is parsed at a minimum heat.
- To the vegetables add cabbage water, cook them for about 10 minutes.
- Using a blender, the contents of the pan are turned into a puree.
Florets in batter
The cabbage turns out soft and tender inside, and a crispy crust forms on top. It is cooked in plenty of oil. The dish is calorie-dense, but tasty.
- cabbage - 1 kale;
- flour - 3 tbsp;
- eggs - 3 pcs;
- Cabbage florets are boiled for 4 minutes, then they are moved to ice water.
- Prepare the batter. The remaining ingredients are mixed until homogeneous.
- In a deep frying pan pour a lot of oil and heat it, only after this action proceed to fry the product.
- Cabbage is dipped in the batter and sent into the frying pan for 20-30 seconds. To get rid of excess fat, the finished product is put on a colander.
Such cabbage can be used with mashed potatoes, boiled rice. This is a good side dish to meat.
Coral sprouts baked with cheese
- A cabbage cabbage;
- flour - 2 tbsp;
- butter - 30 gr;
- milk - 1 tbsp;
- vegetable oil to grease the baking tray;
- herbs - to taste;
- grated cheese for golden crust.
- Florets are lowered into salted boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, then add flour and fry it for about 1 minute.
- Small portions of milk are poured in, stirring the mixture constantly. If the sauce is not stirred, lumps will form.
- Pour enough vegetable oil on a baking tray and distribute it all over the area.
- Put boiled cabbage, add sauce, then herbs and cheese. Cook the dish until the appetizing crust.
Useful vegetable salad
The main thing is to choose a quality product. It should be dense, with a greenish color, without black spots. To make the salad as healthy as possible, it is recommended to use vegetable oil as a dressing. It can be mixed with additional ingredients, such as lemon juice, spices, mustard.
- Cabbage - 1 bob of small size;
- sweet pepper, tomato - 1 pc;
- daikon - 150 gr;
- lemon ring;
- vegetable oil - 1-2 tbsp;
- lemon juice - 1 tbsp;
- mustard in grains - 3 tbsp;
- dill - about 6 sprigs;
- pepper, salt.
- The inflorescences are boiled in boiling water, in which a lemon (one ring) has been added. Depending on their size, they are boiled for 3-5 minutes.
- Toss the cabbage in a colander and keep under cold running water until it cools.
- Before adding the ingredient to the salad, it is dried with napkins.
- Proceed to the preparation of the sauce. For this purpose, take a deep bowl. Combine the juice, oil, mustard.
- With daikon remove the skin and cut it into thin strips, send it to the bowl to the cabbage.
- Pepper is peeled of seeds and also cut into strips. Do the same with the tomato. Pour the products into a bowl. Chopped greens are added there as well. Dill, celery, basil and parsley can be used as well.
- Pepper and salt the dish to taste and mix together with dressing. It is eaten immediately after cooking, since storage spoils the taste.
Romanesco cooked in the oven with milk and cheese
This recipe can be used to make a hearty but light dinner.
- A cabbage cauliflower - 1 pc;
- hard cheese - 100 g;
- milk - 250 ml;
- flour - 2 tablespoons;
- Italian herbs and salt - to taste.
- Boiled for 10 minutes take apart the cauldron into florets. You can boil the product at once in the form of florets, reducing the cooking time to 5 minutes.
- In a dry frying pan poured flour and bring it to a golden color.
- A trickle of milk is poured, thoroughly mixing the contents of the pan to avoid lumps.
- Pour grated hard cheese into a homogeneous mixture. The sauce is stirred until the cheese is completely melted, and mixed with the herbs.
- Put the cabbage into a dish and spread the sauce.
- The dish is cooked for about 15 minutes at the highest temperature.
An appetizer of capers, romanesco, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower
The recipe is for 6 servings. Dress the ingredients with mustard oil.
- Brussels sprouts - 350 g;
- cauliflower, romanesco - 150 gr;
- lemon - 1 fruit;
- butter - 4.5 tbsp;
- marjoram - 2.5 tbsp;
- capers - 1.5 tbsp;
- Mustard with grains - 1.5 tsp;
- pepper, sea salt - to taste;
- Garlic (cloves) - 1.5 pcs.
- Rub garlic thoroughly with salt, mix with capers, melted butter, pepper, mustard, marjoram, lemon zest.
- The lower part of the cabbage is cut off. The cabbage itself is cut into pieces, focusing on its size.
- Pour water into a saucepan, salt it and bring it to the boil. In the first place they throw the Brussels sprouts, after 3 minutes - the other types of cabbage. After 5 minutes, take the vegetables out of the water.
- All components are mixed with the oil obtained at the first stage.
Romanesco in sabayon sauce
Cabbage of this kind is delicious on its own, the egg and lemon sauce only emphasizes the taste of the vegetable and allows you to make it even more unusual.
- cabbage - 0.5 kg;
- lemon - 1 fruit;
- yolks - 6 pcs;
- almonds - 5 nuts;
- wine (white) - 1 tbsp;
- sugar - 2 tablespoons;
- salt - to taste.
- Coral cauliflower florets are steamed for 7 minutes.
- While the main ingredient is cooking, knead the sauce. For this, combine the yolks, lemon zest from half the fruit and sugar.
- For the vegetable to retain its color, a container with cabbage is sent under cold water.
- The sauce is put on a water bath, constantly stirring it. Then squeeze the juice of half a lemon into the pot and pour the wine. Whisk the wine with a whisk, keeping the heat at a minimum.
- To make the sauce airy, after thickening it is whipped with a blender.
- Salt the cabbage, put the sauce and the almonds.
Is it possible to eat Romanesco cabbage raw
Romanesco does not have to be cooked, it can be eaten raw. This cabbage is so beautiful that it is even pathetic to boil it. When raw, the product is crispy with a nutty flavor. Cabbage is eaten with a variety of sauces, it can be either meat or cream sauce or any other sauce.
How to grow romanesco cabbage
Romanesco cabbage is grown in much the same way as cauliflower. For planting, choose a site where potatoes were grown and where there is enough sunlight. This point is related to one important feature - after potatoes, the soil remains loose. It is undesirable that the predecessors were representatives of cabbage, because the new plants can pass their diseases, the same pests can be infested.
The soil should not be acidic. Alkaline soil is optimal. Before planting seedlings, beds treated with lime or wood ash (1 sq.m. use an amount of 200-400 grams). It is possible to apply compost. It is important that there is enough moisture in the soil, so watering should be regular. It is especially important to follow this rule when forming inflorescences.
To get seedlings, the seeds should be planted around the last days of April. In the room, the optimal temperature is maintained, the maximum possible value is +20 ° C. When already observed seedlings (the process of their formation lasts about 24-28 days), it is reduced. At night you need to maintain +8 ° C, daytime +10 ° C. You can get these values by moving the boxes to the balcony, for example. During the cultivation of seedlings, monitor the level of light to prevent the process of pulling the stems too quickly.
Planted in the ground after a strong spring frost, not earlier, that is, about 1.5-2 months after sowing. But still, when planting plants in the open ground, you should be guided by the peculiarities of the local climate. Mistakes made can lead to a lack of complete inflorescences. For them to set properly, the temperature should be about +17 to +18°C. The distance between the plants and the rows is 60x60 cm.
The germination rate is less than 100%, so the seeds are used in a quantity of 3 pcs. (large and small). Harvesting is carried out at the beginning of autumn. It is recommended to cut the cabbage in the morning, when they have not yet had time to warm under the sunlight. They should not be overexposed, because the inflorescences can dry out and begin to rot.
- Italy loves a variety of salads. Experimentation in the 15th century resulted in the Romanesco cabbage. In other countries, the vegetable began to be used in the 90s, when the Dutch perfected it.
- The vegetable is valuable not only in cooking, but also in science. On the example of this cabbage, it is explained what a fractal is, consisting of large and small identical in appearance parts. That is, the principle of self-similarity applies here. If we consider romanesco, at its core there are small flowers, consisting of the same, but even smaller flowers, and those in turn - of even more miniature ones. Surprisingly, such a plant appeared naturally. When looking at the cabbage, one observes the Fibonacci spiral, which unfolds from a central point. It is a numerical series in which each successive number corresponds to the sum of the previous two numbers. This series looks as follows: 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, etc.
- Because of the unusual shape of the vegetable, there are jokes as if it fell from a flying saucer somewhere in Italy.
Romanesco is cosmic in appearance, unusual in taste and very useful vegetable. It is an ideal product for children's bodies and dietary meals. Growing such cabbage is difficult, any violation of technology can lead to failure. But if you try and follow the existing rules, everything should work out. The product saturates the body with a mass of useful substances, promotes weight loss by eliminating harmful substances and accelerating digestive processes, preserving the healthy appearance of hair and skin. If there are no contraindications, it is worth trying this vegetable at least for its beautiful and bright appearance.
«Important: All the information on this site is provided for informational purposes only purposes. Before applying any recommendations, you should consult a specialist. specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."