Cognac: useful properties and contraindications
Opinion about alcoholic beverages and their consumption, unfortunately, in most cases, comes down to the negative. Many people argue about their harmful effects on the human body and zealously call to give up alcohol. Of course, it is a harm, but only if you do not know about the properties and abuse them. Most alcoholic beverages can be beneficial to humans when consumed correctly. For example, the noble cognac - you can drink it not only to enjoy the exquisite taste and aroma, but to maintain health. And this is not at all the fiction of those who like to abuse the famous wine drink. This is information based on the experience of healers and research of scientists. So what is this legendary drink?
- What is the difference between cognac and brandy and whiskey
- What is better to drink: vodka or cognac
- Composition and calories
- What is useful for cognac
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- For Pregnancy
- Can I Drink Cognac to Lose Weight
- Is Drinking Coffee with Cognac Useful?
- Cognac in Medicine
- Diabetes Mellitus
- For the Intestines
- For constipation
- For gout
- For colitis
- For the liver
- For hemorrhoids
- For cholecystitis
- For coughs
- For migraine
- For fever.
- Cognac raises or lowers blood pressure
- Cognac in cosmetology
- For Face
- For hair
- Cooking use
- Harm and contraindications
- How to choose and keep cognac
- How to distinguish from fake
- How to drink cognac properly
- What to drink with
- What to snack on?
- Can I Drink with Coke?
- Cognac Cocktails
- Champagne Cocktail
- Can I Drink Cognac Every Day?
- How to Make Cognac at Home
- Best Cognac Brands
- Interesting facts about cognac
Cognac, first of all, is a rather strong alcoholic product. Its strength must be at least 40% alcohol. Its homeland is considered to be the French city of Cognac, located in the Poitou-Charentes region. It is in this region where the right to produce cognac is officially established. All other wine derivatives with a similar name do not have the right to carry the name of the legendary drink.
Cognac is made from white grapes of the Trebbiano, Folle Blanche, Colombard or Montille varieties. The juice of the fruit undergoes three weeks of fermentation and then double distillation. Only then it is languished in barrels, which are made by hand from oaks that are at least eighty years old. The period of aging must be at least two years.
It is believed that the production of cognac dates back to the seventeenth century. That's when double distillation was made and it was discovered that the taste of the drink gets much better structure, aroma and flavor if it is stored for some time in oak barrels. It was at that time that the noble cognac, an exquisite drink worthy of kings, began its triumphant march across the planet.
What is the difference between cognac and brandy and whiskey?
It would seem to the average man that brandy, cognac and whiskey are similar drinks. Although they do have similarities, it is worth remembering that they are all completely different products.
To begin with, we need to understand the difference between cognac and brandy. First of all, it must be understood that the first type of alcohol can be called only that produced in France in Poitou-Charentes from certain grape varieties. No other areas, countries or regions have the right to call their products cognac. But brandy has no strict restrictions on the raw material, from which it is produced, as it can be used not only grapes, but also fruits. In addition, absolutely all countries and cities have the full right to produce brandy. This is the first and main difference.
The second is the strength of the alcoholic beverages. Brandy can include 36% alcohol and higher, but cognac cannot be lower than 40%.
These drinks also differ from each other in production. The fact is that there are strict requirements for the very process of making and aging of cognac. These include the fermentation period, the way the juice is pressed and the production of oak barrels from certain types of wood. There are no such rules for the production of brandy. Besides, the latter can contain flavorings and sweeteners. This is not allowed in cognac!
Another difference is the price. Brandy has an affordable price, because it is produced anywhere and by anyone. But cognac, which is made only in one place according to a special technology and from certain raw materials, will be many times more expensive.
That is about cognac and brandy. As for the whiskey, here is the difference:
- The raw materials. Cereal crops are used to make whiskey, while for cognac only grapes are used.
- Strength. Cognac has at least 40%, while whiskey may well have a lower strength.
- Production. Cognac is produced using double distillation, while whiskey can be "distilled" three times. Moreover, the latter can be aged in dessert wine barrels, which is unacceptable in the case of cognac.
- Territory of production. Whereas in cognac the place of its production is officially fixed at the legislative level, the production of whiskey can be carried out in any country of the world.
These are the main differences between the three strong alcoholic beverages, of which cognac is by right the most exclusive and noble.
What is better to drink: vodka or cognac
To give preference to one of the strong drinks it is necessary to know its features and differences. Considering the question of what is better to choose - vodka or cognac, it is necessary to clarify the following differences between the drinks:
- For the production of vodka uses cereal raw materials, and for cognac - grape.
- They are also produced by different technologies, while vodka is considered a purer product, because it does not contain impurities such as those in the composition of cognac.
- The temperature at which the alcohol is served also differs. For example, vodka is served as an aperitif and chilled. Cognac is a drink that is consumed after a meal, at a drinking temperature of 20 to 25°C.
- Vodka can be snacked on almost anything, but cognac is served with a cigar, coffee, and chocolate. But the opinion that you can snack cognac with lemon is erroneous. The fact is that the citrus absolutely kills the whole bouquet of the drink.
- Vodka is more insidious, because the addiction to it occurs much faster. The thing is that the pure product is less stressful for the liver and puts the organism to sleep so that the latter understands about the "penetration" of the enemy when the process has already started. But the consumption of cognac, although it affects the liver a little worse, but turns on the protective functions of the body at once. That is why it is impossible to drink as much cognac as vodka.
Speaking about the usefulness of the products, it is worth noting that vodka perfectly eliminates diarrhea when mixed with salt, as well as colds when combined with pepper. It also helps get rid of cholesterol, has a warming effect, and is used to make compresses and tinctures.
Cognac is also excellent against viruses, helps to keep warm and relaxed, clears the blood vessels of cholesterol and lowers blood pressure.
Thus, both products can benefit the body, but only with their moderate use, namely 30-50 ml is considered a safe daily rate. In this case, the use of drinks is able to solve some problems and maintain health, and what to choose - everyone decides for himself!
Composition and calories
Do not think that cognac contains only alcohol. This is far from it. Of course, it does not contain many useful substances, but still they are present in the following composition:
- essential oils;
The caloric value of the product is 239 kcal per 100 g. Carbohydrates are represented by an indicator of 0.1 g per the same volume, but there are no fats and proteins at all.
The list of nutrients is not rich, but nevertheless it is enough for the strong drink to benefit the human body and help get rid of some health problems.
What is useful for cognac?
"Alcohol is evil!" - this is what most people think, but experts advise not to rush to conclusions. Grape strong drink contains substances that can have the following beneficial effects on human health:
- When drinking cognac, vitamin C is much better absorbed by the body. The tannins and tannin in the drink contribute to this.
- A sip of cognac also increases the appetite. It increases the speed of blood flow, thereby causing a desire for a full lunch or dinner.
- Cognac normalizes digestive processes by activating the production of gastric juice.
- The use of this type of alcohol helps to lower blood pressure. This occurs because the drink has a vasodilator effect. But only 30 ml have a positive effect on health and help to lower blood pressure. A large dose will subsequently lead to a sharp spike, so it is worth consuming exactly the specified amount, rather than drinking a glass of cognac for "therapeutic" purposes.
- The vasodilator effect of alcohol helps to relieve headaches and toothaches.
- Also the use of the drink is considered the prevention of coronary heart disease and angina.
- Cognac perfectly strengthens the body's immune system, helping to cope with colds and resist viruses.
- Its healing effects include the acceleration and normalization of metabolism.
- Angina and bronchitis are serious illnesses that require increased strength to restore the body. It is cognac that can help a quicker recovery.
- As an antipyretic, the drink can be consumed in combination with milk, lemon juice and honey.
- Also the noble alcohol helps to improve memory and hearing. This is possible thanks to its action as a neurostimulant.
These are the main directions of the healing action of cognac. But it is worth noting that the drink has different effects on men and women. That is why it is worth talking about this effect separately.
For the female body, cognac will help to calm down, eliminate problems with sleep, cope with increased strain on the heart muscle. It can also cleanse the skin and improve the condition of the hair. For these reasons, the beautiful half of humanity should sometimes take a shot of cognac "not for fun, but for health!"
Considering the benefits of cognac for the male sex, in addition to the overall effect on the body, separately we can mention the issue of maintaining or increasing the potency and the duration of sexual activity that worries all men. In this case cognac is insidious. For people, whose age has reached the mark of 35 years, the alcoholic beverage can render a bearish service, but for a young man a glass of drink will help to relax and feel more confident. But it is important to remember that for "heroism" in bed it is not necessary to empty half of the bottle, otherwise the hero will fall off the horse before he reaches his goal!
When carrying a child, the future mother should give up drinking strong alcoholic beverage 100%. This is the advice given by all physicians without exception. The dangers of drinking cognac are as follows:
- When drinking the drink, the possibility of losing the baby increases many times. And the dose for each woman is strictly individual. But even one sip can be fatal. Therefore, to preserve little life, it is worth refraining from drinking cognac in any form!
- Also, experts note that mothers who were fond of drinking cognac during pregnancy, born babies are often underweight, have underdeveloped joints and motor disorders, suffer from poor memory, and may have impaired facial features.
- In addition, cognac is able to stimulate the appetite, and this is another obstacle to its use in a responsible period.
So, it is important to remember that the health of the future child depends entirely on his mother. Therefore, it is worth a little patience for the health and happiness of the little treasure, who needs the protection and care of his mother!
Breastfeeding is the most important stage in the formation of the fragile body of a newborn, so at this time, the young mother should refuse to drink alcoholic beverages. The fact that the baby's liver is simply not yet able to remove harmful substances from the body, and even a small dose of alcohol can lead to alcohol intoxication.
Can I drink cognac when losing weight?
Despite the high caloric content of cognac, its use in the period of weight loss is quite acceptable. According to one of the diets, its reception should be carried out before going to bed, combining 100 g with one lemon. Such a combination helps to increase the rate of liberation of the body from toxins and excess fluid, and also contributes to the destruction of parasites, which can be the cause of cellulite. But an important prerequisite is:
- quality brandy;
- Avoidance of fatty, sweet, and floury foods;
- dinner before 19:00 o'clock;
- taking cognac between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m;
- consumption of about 3 liters of fluid during the day;
- physical activity;
- a balanced diet.
It is not recommended to repeat such a diet more than once a year.
Based on these data, everyone decides for himself whether cognac is needed in the period of weight loss. But as practice shows, a balanced diet, refusal of sweets, flour and fatty foods, as well as physical activity can destroy extra pounds and permanently secure the result, even without the help of alcohol component.
Is it useful to drink coffee with cognac?
The trendsetters on the combination of cognac and coffee are the same French, who not only invented the drink, but also instilled love for the unusual combination.
Nowadays many countries have their own names for this drink. For example, in Italy the famous Coretto, a drink made of cognac with a little coffee in it, is very popular.
The benefit of such a drink is twofold and depends on the proportions and individual characteristics of a particular body. Thus, when properly consumed, the drink is capable of:
- increase blood pressure;
- increase attention;
- relieve depression;
- eliminate sleep problems;
- relieve toothaches and headaches.
But this effect is achieved only when 30 ml of alcohol is added to 150 ml of coffee. If you exceed the norm, you can get the following negative consequences:
- disruption of the liver and gastrointestinal tract;
- an agitated state and problems with sleep;
- additional strain on the cardiovascular system;
- removal of calcium from the body.
It is important to remember that the drink is generally contraindicated to adolescents and young children, people with high blood pressure, patients with abnormalities of the gastrointestinal tract and heart, pregnant and lactating mothers.
Knowing all the contraindications and eliminating the possible risks, sometimes you can still treat yourself to an unusual drink that can improve not only your mood, but also your overall health!
Cognac in medicine
Doctors, as they should, officially treat only with medicines, but quite often they resort to the methods of alternative medicine, using those or other useful components of some products.
Cognac in medicine also found its application, based on the useful properties that can affect human health. It is used both internally and externally. It is used to make compresses and tinctures that have a healing effect. Thanks to one small drink a day can improve digestion, clear the blood vessels of cholesterol plaques, normalize sleep and calm the nervous system, strengthen the immune system and get rid of migraines. As for serious diagnoses, where strict adherence to a diet is necessary, each individual case has its own story of cognac.
In Diabetes Mellitus
In such a serious disease as diabetes, the use of alcoholic beverages in most cases is prohibited, but sometimes indulgences are allowed. A shot of cognac can be consumed by a patient with such a diagnosis only after consultation with a specialist.
Take cognac with diabetes should be taken with great caution and in strictly permissible norms. The fact is that when abusing the drink, the blood, digestive and nervous systems suffer a blow. The pancreas also suffers. All this can provoke hypoglycemia, which the patient, after drinking a hot drink, can be confused with alcoholic intoxication, which in such a case threatens untimely help and dire consequences. In addition, cognac lowers blood sugar levels, but such a quality can also lead to negative results.
To keep the situation under control, doctors recommend drinking no more than 70 ml for men and 50 ml for women. It should be done on a full stomach, snacking on lean meat, lemon, fish dishes, keeping glucose-containing products on hand. Then a single consumption of cognac in the circle of friends will not cause discomfort to the patient and will give the patient the opportunity to enjoy the taste of his favorite drink.
Important: The glycemic index of cognac from 0 to 5 units.
People who have been diagnosed with pancreatitis, the use of cognac is contraindicated. This is especially true for the period of exacerbation of the disease. So, cognac can intensify the inflammatory processes of the pancreas, change the composition of the juice of this organ, the consequence of which may be an excess of protein, leading to protein plugs. Also, the drink is a provocateur that intensifies the formation of free radicals, thereby accelerating the process of destruction of the gland.
During the period of remission, the use of the product is also under a ban. Permission for an exception for festive events can only be given by the treating doctor. In all other situations the use of cognac is prohibited.
Gastritis of the stomach is a contraindication to the use of cognac in the phase of exacerbation. During the remission period, the patient with the permission of a specialist may indulge in 50 ml of drink, but drink only high-quality alcohol on a full stomach, snacking it with additional chocolate, not lemon, which can increase the amount of gastric juice. Exceeding the dose, which is determined by a specialist, is detrimental to the gastric mucosa and the ability of the body to absorb useful substances.
Also an important point is that if after drinking cognac there is an attack of gastritis, then treat it with medication immediately in no way possible, because the golden rule about the incompatibility of alcohol and pills has not been canceled.
For the intestines
The intestine cognac is sometimes necessary. This is especially true for helminths, which are often the cause of discomfort and diseases of this organ. Cognac combined with castor oil drives out parasites and destroys traces of their presence in the intestines. Also, the drink has an antispasmodic effect on the intestines, reducing muscle spasms and relieving pain. In addition, the drink helps to get rid of bacteria that entered the body with poor-quality food, thereby eliminating the risk of serious poisoning.
But with all this it is worth remembering that this beneficial effect is possible only if the norm allowed by the specialist, depending on the patient's condition and the nature of his illness.
Constipation is most often formed in disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. Regular abuse of alcohol-containing drinks leads to a deterioration, but far from an improvement of the condition. The fact is that alcohol causes burns of the mucous membranes, due to which undigested food enters the intestines, forming stagnation.
Experts believe that high-quality cognac can improve the situation, but only if the daily dose does not exceed 30 ml. Another dose exceeding this figure will only cause a worsening of the situation and lead to a chronic course of the disease, in which it is no longer possible to restore the stool.
The royal disease affects not only kings, but also ordinary citizens. Most often it affects men over 45 years old. The cause of gout is a metabolic disorder in which salts of uric acid are deposited on the joints, causing physical suffering to a person. With this disease, the use of alcohol is strictly contraindicated, because it worsens the excretion of uric acid from the body. However, doctors allow a single reception of cognac in an amount not exceeding 50 ml on a full stomach and with a proper "snack", which should not be too dense. Otherwise it will create an additional load on the body.
Cognac can also be used as external compresses to help reduce pain. But its internal use should be coordinated with the attending physician, who can understand the course of the disease and establish the possible risks.
Colitis is a serious disease in which the use of cognac is strictly forbidden. This is based on the fact that it is alcohol that can lead to the development of this pathology. Getting into the body, cognac causes inflammation of the intestinal mucosa, and also disrupts the peristalsis of the rectum. That's why it is prohibited to drink cognac as well as any other alcohol in colitis at any stage of the disease!
For the liver
For the liver in its healthy state, cognac is able to benefit in the processing of ethanol, because the drink contains tannins, which the organ processes faster. In addition, it is the sulphur oils present in the drink that prevent the process of aldehyde production.
In this regard, taking cognac in a permissible dose will improve the function of the liver and will not lead to undesirable results. The main thing is a measure!
A dangerous disease of a delicate nature gives a person a lot of unpleasant and painful sensations. The use of cognac causes the dilation of blood vessels, resulting in a rush of blood to the already dilated hemorrhoidal vein, which begins to bleed, delivering pain to the patient. Also, the liquor oils of the drink can further irritate the mucous membranes. These factors are the reasons for banning the consumption of cognac.
Laxation can be done in a single case, after consultation with a specialist. In this case, if he allows you to consume 50 ml of cognac, you should snack on light foods, and before drinking and at night you should drink activated charcoal in the amount of 4 pieces. And it should be remembered that it is extremely contraindicated to drink cognac combined with coffee when having hemorrhoids.
The diet for inflammation of the gallbladder does not provide for the intake of alcohol. The only exceptions may be vodka and noble brandy. In small quantities, an exquisite drink will not be able to become a provocateur of the occurrence of gallstones. In addition, it is the cool alcohol that can cause an exacerbation of the disease, and cognac with its warm serving will not bring the risk of exacerbations. But it is necessary to consult with a specialist before drinking it.
Traditional medicine, although it does not officially recognize the help of cognac for coughs, but its use in combination with milk and honey has proven its effectiveness. Cognac in this case helps to launch the natural defenses of the body and remove cramps. The effect of this method of treatment is felt the very next day. In addition, tannin, which is part of the useful nutrients, promotes better absorption of vitamin C, and therefore - helps to cope with the cough and the virus much faster. It is important to remember that the drink is consumed in an amount of 1 tsp. to 50 ml. It is in this case it brings relief, not a glass of alcohol, which will only worsen the condition.
In addition, when treating a cough, you need to choose: either pills or cognac. It is not allowed to mix them!
In the case of migraine.
Cognac is an excellent antispasmodic, which can eliminate headaches associated with overstress. But in the case of migraine, cognac will not cope, but only worsen the situation. The fact is that migraine attacks dilate blood vessels, and cognac dilates them even more, so the pain only gets worse. Thus, the use of cognac for migraine is not considered as an effective remedy.
In case of fever
An increase in body temperature up to 38 degrees indicates the activation of the body's defense functions, aimed at fighting the virus. Of course, cognac helps with colds, neutralizing viruses and activating the immune system, but its use with fever and fever symptoms is extremely undesirable. At a temperature of 37 ° C you can drink no more than 30-50 ml of drink and go to bed, wrapped in a warm blanket. Cognac will help neutralize germs, increase sweating and help the body recover faster. At the same time, taking medications is prohibited, because the combination of medicines with alcohol is not allowed.
Cognac increases or decreases the blood pressure.
The connection between drinking cognac and blood pressure is known to everyone, including physicians. Disagreement about the effect of the drink on blood pressure has been going on for a long time. Some argue that taking cognac increases blood pressure, while others believe that it decreases it. Experts, on the other hand, say that the drink can have two effects. The reason lies in the amount of alcohol you drink. So, 30 or 70 ml can dilate blood vessels and lower blood pressure, while also relieving spasms and reducing pain.
If you drink 80 ml or more, the heart rhythm increases, the blood vessels dilate, and the blood pressure rises, which has a negative effect and completely eliminates the BP lowering effect.
It is also worth understanding that self-treatment, especially for hypertension, can be fatal. In this regard, you should beware of taking cognac for self-treatment, and it is better to clarify these issues with your doctor.
Cognac in cosmetology
Cosmetology is an amazing field. It is the one that understands and recognizes all the benefits of natural products and drinks that can help the beautiful sex to preserve their youth and beauty.
Cognac is also not without its "helper" in matters of maintaining and improving the appearance of women. So, the use of cognac in masks, rinses, contributes to whitening the skin, reducing wrinkles, nutrition. In addition, the drink perfectly prevents skin aging, preserving its firmness and elasticity.
The hair is not left out either. Wine potion accelerates their growth, eliminates dandruff and gives shine.
In the treasure trove of beauty recipes you can find those that are quite possible to prepare at home with your own hands.
For the face
- Cognac three years old - 1 tsp;
- honey - 1 tbsp;
Take some wax and melt it. Then combine with honey and cognac. Apply the composition to the face for 40 minutes, then carefully remove the mask hardened. In conclusion, put a cream on your face. This recipe can be used once a week for one month.
- 2 tbsp. three-year-old cognac;
- 1 tbsp. cottage cheese (the fatter the better);
- egg yolk;
- A pinch of ground coriander;
- 5 drops of avocado oil.
Heat cognac in a water bath and leave for one hour. Combine all other ingredients and beat with a mixer. Add cognac and mix. Apply to the face for 20 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Aspirin - 1 tablet;
- cognac - 1 tsp;
- honey - 0.5 tsp;
- water - 0,5 tsp.
Add to the crushed aspirin tablet all components and mix thoroughly. Apply the composition to the wrinkles. Time of action may vary from 10 to 60 minutes depending on the problem areas. Then wash off the mask with cool water.
For dry hair
- 20 ml of brandy;
- 60 ml of onion juice;
- 80 ml of tincture of burdock root, prepared by yourself.
Combine all the components and distribute the composition on the scalp and along the entire length of the hair. Then put on a cap of polyethylene and wrap your head with a towel for one hour. Then you should wash your head.
- 1 tbsp. brandy;
- 1 tbsp. corn oil;
- 2 raw egg yolks.
Combine the components and heat a little in a water bath. Then apply the composition to the scalp and hair. Wear a cellophane cap and wrap with a towel for 45 minutes, then wash your head with a light shampoo.
- 250 ml of cognac;
- 250 ml of honey;
- 1 cup of sea salt.
Combine all the components in a separate container and close tightly, stirring the composition. In this state, leave the mixture for 14 days. Then you can use it as a mask, applying the preparation to the hair for 15 or 20 minutes once a week.
Using in cooking
For many years, cooks around the world have been using cognac to prepare their masterpieces. They add it to baked goods, meat, marinades, sauces. With it, every dish acquires a taste capable of striking the imagination of a gourmet and leaving an indelible mark in the memory of the unsophisticated eater.
There is a certain classification of ways to use the drink in cooking:
- For flavor and when preserving the product, the drink is commonly added to ice cream, soufflés, candies and other cold desserts.
- To give cupcakes, cookies and other baked goods an airy structure, a ruddy crust and unparalleled flavor, cognac is commonly added to unleavened dough. In the yeast version it will speed up the process of fermentation of sourdough and give airiness to cakes and mounds.
- Meat and poultry will become much more flavorful and tender. And if you also set them on fire with a drink before serving, the dish will impress your guests not only with its taste, but also with its sight.
- Homemade sausages will acquire a brighter flavor of spices and will be preserved much longer if you add a little cognac to them during cooking.
Harms and contraindications
Like any other alcohol, cognac can be harmful to the human body. Its use in some cases is strictly limited. Such contraindications include:
- pathologies of the biliary tract;
- A tendency to obesity and overweight;
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding;
In addition, it should not be forgotten that people who suffer from serious illnesses and have any pathologies, should always consult a doctor before consuming even a high-quality, but still alcoholic beverage.
How to choose and store cognac
To please yourself with the taste of the famous drink, you should be guided by the general rules of choosing cognac when buying it:
- The glass bottle must be tightly corked with a wooden cork.
- The quality signs and markings of the product should be undamaged and symmetrically glued.
- The label must contain information about the country and place of production, the composition of the product, the period of aging.
- Cognac must be transparent and free of any foreign impurities and sediment. Otherwise, the purchase should be abandoned.
Regarding the storage time, the unopened container with the drink can not be opened for several years, but the opened bottle should not be kept longer than three months.
The optimum storage temperature is between +5 and +25°C. And it is better to store the drink in a bar or special cabinet, where sunlight does not penetrate.
In such conditions the wonderful drink will keep its flavor for a long time, to the delight of the owner.
How to distinguish from fakes
Very often, buying cognac, you can run into a fake product. To avoid this, you can use the advice of experienced experts:
- When choosing a quality product, you should be guided by the price, which cannot be cheaper than 1000 rubles.
- Choose products of those brands, reviews of which have come across, as the well-known brands monitor the quality of their products.
- In a bottle of real cognac there should be an empty space equal to 50 ml.
- When choosing a drink, sommeliers recommend turning the container upside down and observe the drop that forms at the bottom of the bottle. If it is big and doesn't drip for a while, then it is a quality product.
Having chosen the cognac you can also make sure of its quality at home:
- The smell should not be pungent and alcoholic.
- Dark and transparent - this is how real cognac should look like.
- On the walls of the flute when it is rotated must remain oily droplets.
You should also pay attention to the abbreviation when choosing:
- Aging less than three years corresponds to three stars.
- An aging of at least four years corresponds to four stars.
- Five years of aging equals five stars.
- KV - at least six years of aging.
- KVK - at least eight years of aging.
- CW - at least ten years of aging.
- OS - at least twelve years of aging.
- V.S. - at least two years of aging.
- V.S.O.P. - four years.
- X.O. - More than six years.
These are the basic rules for choosing a quality cognac that can surprise the palate and give pleasure.
How to drink cognac properly
Choosing cognac is a time-consuming task, but it is equally important to drink it correctly in order to fully experience the taste and all the unique flavor. For this there is a special culture of drinking this drink:
- Fill the snifter glass ¼ full and serve at 20 to 25°C.
- Next, swirl the glass and observe the "drips" or oily legs of the drops: the more of them, the better.
- Then feel the complexity of the aroma, which includes notes of vanilla, fruit, lime, violets, rose, and the smell of port.
- Then start tasting it. You drink it in small sips, letting it linger on your tongue and leave a long aftertaste.
What is it consumed with?
The French, who invented cognac, didn't invent the products which could be served with it, but simply invented the 3C law. It means four things: the coffee itself, the cognac and the cigar. These are the things that are usually combined in the classic version of the drink. In this case they all play a role of some kind of stimulants for the nervous system, forcing a person to have fun, relax, but at the same time be quite energetic.
It should also be clarified that you should not serve lemon with cognac, because it completely destroys the unique bouquet of taste and aroma of the exquisite drink, bringing it closer to the low-quality surrogate, bought in a cheap stall. Cognac is served after the meal as a dessert to give the guest or yourself an incomparable pleasure.
What is served as an appetizer?
It is not customary to serve cognac as an appetizer, because it is used as a dessert. Sometimes it may be combined with chocolate, fruit, and cheese, as well as with seafood or meat, but not fatty.
Such combinations are quite acceptable, but experts still insist on the independent use of the drink, able to influence the brain, causing joy and pleasure.
Can I drink it with cola?
The cocktail consisting of cognac and Coca-Cola was invented by the ubiquitous Americans, who are trying to get everyone and everything hooked on their favorite drink. This cocktail has become very popular as a result of their ingenious inventions and today it has a great number of admirers. But its consumption is not safe at all, because. Coke contains carbon dioxide and chemical compounds, which together severely overload both the liver and kidneys, which struggle with the poisonous substances of the drink. Soda also intensifies the intoxication process, which leads to a severe hangover syndrome. Moreover, the drink can provoke the appearance of cholelithiasis, ulcers, gastritis and the death of brain cells.
But if you have no choice, you should eat fatty foods and dilute the cocktail with ice before drinking it. The components themselves should be combined in a ratio of 1:1.
Of course, to drink or not to drink cognac with cola - everyone decides for himself, but if the purpose of drinking alcohol is not only to enjoy, but also to benefit the body, then you should not use such a cocktail. If you want to have fun with your friends, cola and cognac will be just perfect. But the heaviness of the next morning will be provided by 100%.
Although cognac is considered to be a drink in itself, its consumption is sometimes associated as a component of a cocktail. Many people don't like the noble taste and prefer to dilute cognac with other, more usual and "tasty" ingredients. It is not quite right, but it has its place.
Today there are many recipes that allow you to prepare such alcoholic "extravagances" at home:
- 100 ml of champagne;
- 20 ml of cognac;
- 1 lump of brown sugar;
- 3 drops of Angostura bitters tincture.
In the prepared flute, place a piece of sugar, on which the tincture is dripped. After that, add the alcoholic ingredients.
- 30 ml of cognac;
- 30 ml of orange juice;
- 1 tbsp. raspberries;
- 1 slice of orange.
Combine all the ingredients, except for the orange slice, and whip them with a blender. Then pour into a flute and garnish with an orange slice.
- 40 ml of brandy;
- 10 ml of Quantro Liqueur;
- 10 ml of white wine.
Using a shaker, mix all the ingredients and pour the drink into a glass, which must be pre-cooled.
These are the most popular brandy cocktails.
It is worth noting that such drinks became popular only in the middle of the 20th century. And in the beginning of the history of cocktails with cognac they were prepared with the addition of mineral water or tonic, but over time, sophisticated lovers of interesting combinations perfected the recipe, combining the drink with liqueurs, champagne, vermouth, coffee and cream. Cocktails usually have a strength of 12 to 30°, depending on their ingredients.
Can you drink cognac every day?
Cognac is capable of having a beneficial effect on the body. Its regular consumption will have a positive effect on human health, helping to regulate sleep, activate immunity, reduce cholesterol levels, normalize blood pressure, etc. But all this is possible if you drink not more than 50ml of the drink per day, and the person should be healthy and have no pathologies, which are contraindications to the consumption of cognac. Otherwise, there may be problems associated with the exacerbation of this or that disease.
It is also worth remembering that the abuse of alcoholic beverages can lead to alcohol dependence, and this is a completely different story!
How to make brandy at home
The recipe for making real cognac is only available to the French, but you can try to make this wonderful drink at home as well.
- 1 liter of vodka;
- 4 tsp. of oak bark;
- 1/3 tsp. nutmeg;
- 5 clove buds;
- 1/3 tsp. vanilla sugar;
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar;
- 3 tsp. black tea (leaf tea).
Method of preparation:
- In an aluminum bowl, prepare the caramel from the granulated sugar.
- Combine in a bottle caramel with the rest of the ingredients, stir and seal with a lid.
- Put the container in a room out of reach of light and let it infuse for 4 weeks. During this time, shake the bottle well every four days and taste the contents.
- After the time has elapsed, filter the brandy through a thick layer of gauze and help yourself.
Best Cognac Brands
The cognac world has its own leaders, whose taste and flavor are recognized by the best experts who understand the quality of these drinks.
- In first place stands one of the most popular cognacs, whose brand is known even to those who do not like the drink, is Hennessy Cognac. The brand was founded in 1765 by R. Hennessy. Today the annual turnover of the cognac house is about fifty million bottles. Privilege is recognized as the most popular cognac of this brand.
- In second place is RemyMartin. This brand was founded in 1724 by R. Martin. The annual turnover is twenty-four million bottles. The most famous drink of the house is Remy Martin V.S.O.P.
- In third place is the oldest producer of cognac - Martell. Its founder was J. Martel. He founded his brainchild in 1715, and it exists today very well, producing nearly a quarter of a million bottles of cognac a year. The most famous is Martell VSOP.
It is the world's top three producer of elite cognacs, the taste of which is rich with all kinds of notes and flavors that can make your head spin with pleasure.
Interesting facts about cognac
- With each year of aging the strength of cognac becomes higher, but after seventy years the composition, strength and taste become unchanged.
- The most expensive drink in this category was valued at two million dollars. It was presented in a bottle made of gold and platinum.
- The barrels for aging this cognac are made without using nails by hand.
- Thanks to W. Churchill was saved from Stalin's repressions by M. Sedrakian - the master of blending the Armenian cognac "Dvin". It was Churchill's favorite drink. The fact is that the latter once did not like the taste of the familiar cognac, and he found out that the blender was exiled to Siberia. Stalin received a "complaint" and quickly returned the master and Churchill again began to enjoy his favorite drink of amazing taste in his opinion.
So, the legendary and noble cognac, consumed as a dessert, helps to improve health and get a true gourmet delight. The drink, which is recognized as the king among alcohols, is designed for health and joy. Therefore, when drinking it, it is worth remembering the norm of its consumption. Just a small glass, drunk with pleasure, helps to reveal all the capabilities of the drink and get a real holiday of taste and aroma!
«Important: All information on this site is provided solely for introductory for informational purposes only. Consult a health care professional before applying any recommendations. specialist before applying any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."