Hemp oil: composition, useful properties and contraindications
Hemp - a unique plant, whose valuable properties have been used since ancient times. After the discovery of narcotic substances in its composition, a UN resolution (1961) imposed a ban on the cultivation of the plant and its processing. As a result of breeders' work, a technical variety of the crop, which does not contain psychotropic compounds, was bred. Hemp is used in various light industries, but hemp oil is considered the most valuable product of seed processing.
- How hemp oil is made
- Composition and calories
- Useful properties of hemp oil
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- In Pregnancy
- For children
- When losing weight
- Hemp oil in medicine
- Diabetes mellitus
- In pancreatitis
- For constipation
- For the liver
- For oncology
- For epilepsy
- For psoriasis
- For worms
- Hemp oil in cosmetology
- For Face
- For hair
- For the Body
- Can I fry in hemp oil?
- Harm and contraindications
- How to choose and store hemp oil
- How to properly take hemp oil
- Interesting facts about hemp
How hemp oil is made
Technical varieties of hemp are used to produce oil. Unlike ordinary hemp, it is not classified as a psychoactive plant. The narcotic-producing substance (tetrahydrocannabinol) is contained in small amounts, less than 0.1%.
Hemp oil has true Slavic roots of origin. Its production was engaged in the peoples living in Russia. Our ancestors used a hand press to produce oil. It had a certain resemblance to the work of a juicer equipped with a fine sieve. Putting hemp seeds in a certain hole, a man pressed on the piston. Thus, oil was extracted from the seeds one drop at a time, while the oil cake remained. It was added to animal feed. Out of 1 kg of raw materials received no more than 300 grams of valuable oil.
Although modern equipment has been installed at the enterprises now, the basic production technology has remained the same:
- Hemp seeds are cleaned of debris and put into a special container of the press with high power.
- The press is turned on, and it automatically starts squeezing.
- Containers of freshly pressed oil are transported to the workshop, where it undergoes a sedimentation stage.
- The clarified oil is bottled and sent to retail.
This extraction method is called cold-pressing. As a result, the oil retains all the valuable properties of the hemp seed. It has a light green color and a delicate aroma. Its sourish taste has a subtle nutty flavor.
Hemp seeds are processed in another way, called the hot-pressing method. The oil is subjected to heat treatment, so it loses a lot of useful properties. Such a product is not very popular.
Composition and calories
Oil obtained after processing of technical hemp contains:
- All B vitamins that improve the body's absorption of calcium and iron, responsible for energy metabolism and the functioning of the nervous system.
- Vitamin A, which promotes the production of hormones and strengthens eyesight.
- Vitamin E, which normalizes the reproductive system and has a rejuvenating effect on the skin and the body as a whole. It is an excellent antioxidant.
- Tumor-preventing chlorophyll, carotene, tannins.
- Two groups of polyunsaturated acids omega-3 and omega-6. Their quantity and balance (1:3) in the product can be second only to fatty fish varieties.
- Magnesium, which has a positive effect on the functioning of the entire body.
- Reducing human blood cholesterol levels, phytosterols.
Hemp oil is one of the few plant foods that contain vitamin D.
It does not contain proteins and carbohydrates. It has 99.9 g of fat per 100 ml, and its caloric value is 899 kcal.
Useful properties of hemp oil
Rich in vitamins, macro and trace elements, hemp seed oil is considered one of the best natural products. The biologically valuable composition of useful elements is contained in ideal proportions and is easily absorbed by the body. Therefore, the oil has a positive effect on all organs and their systems:
- Stimulates the digestive system, normalizing metabolism.
- Improves the condition of the skin, fights the appearance of irritations, teenage pimples.
- Strengthens the immune system, preventing the development of infectious diseases.
- It has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and healing effect.
- Fights the formation of cancerous tumors.
- Removes toxins and toxic substances from the body.
- Normalizes the cardiovascular system, reducing the risk of strokes, high blood pressure.
The product has an effective effect on health regardless of gender, age category. It is useful for everyone.
The beneficial effect on the body of the beautiful half of mankind has been identified since antiquity. Beautiful women at all times used it as a means to combat aging, as well as to improve the condition of the skin, hair, strengthening the nails. Regular use of the oil reduces swelling of the feet, arising from the daily use of high-heeled shoes.
It normalizes the hormonal background of the female body, reducing premenstrual pain, improving feelings during menopause. Hemp oil is included in the diet during the treatment of mastitis, ovarian cysts.
Daily use of hemp oil helps to increase male power. Antitumor properties prevent the appearance of prostate cancer, minimize the appearance of adenoma of the prostate and hemorrhoids.
Due to the content of vitamin E oil is an excellent nutrient and conditioning agent. This is especially true for men who wear a beard. When it is rubbed into the facial skin and hair, the circulation of the blood circulation is accelerated, so the beard will grow quickly and look great.
The complete vitamin and mineral complex in the composition of hemp oil ensures the saturation of the body of future mothers with the necessary elements. The high content of vitamins D, E contributes to the full intrauterine development of the baby.
Consumption of hemp seed oil by breastfeeding mothers helps to increase the flow of milk. Its valuable composition is complemented by vitamin D, which prevents the baby from rickets and ensures full development. The linolenic acid contained in it, getting into the body with milk, normalizes blood circulation in the body of the baby, improves digestion, reducing the risk of colic and bloating.
When breastfeeding, mothers usually dress their vitamin salads with the oil or simply take a teaspoon on an empty stomach. The product should only be taken after consulting your doctor.
The soothing properties of the product have a positive effect on the nervous system of the child's body. This is especially true for hyperactive children and children with autism.
Teenagers need the oil to normalize the functioning of the body during puberty. It relieves menstrual pain in girls. Vitamin and mineral complex, which is part of the composition, prevents the appearance of teenage acne.
For weight loss.
The balanced combination of acids in the oil composition helps accelerate digestion, eliminates the appearance of constipation, metabolism, prevents the appearance of fat deposits. Nutritional properties help to saturate the body faster, reducing appetite.
For people who watch their figure, eating hemp seed oil serves as an additional source of energy and improves overall health.
The exception is people suffering from obesity. Dietitians do not recommend them to include hemp seed oil in their diet. The reason is rather high caloric content of the product.
Hemp oil in medicine
- The healing properties of the product have been known since ancient times. Folk healers used it in the treatment of diseases of colds, pneumonia, female illnesses.
- Now oil from hemp seed is sold in pure form, and is a component of some dietary supplements, homeopathic remedies. It is used for preventive purposes to restore immunity after severe illnesses. It is effective in treating diseases of the upper respiratory tract, inflammation of the urinary system.
- Chlorophyll, zinc, iron present in the oil help to cope with anemia and other diseases of the circulatory system. The product helps to reduce cholesterol levels, purify blood vessels. It is recommended to take it for atherosclerosis, thrombophlebitis.
- Doctors include it in the treatment of cancer patients, people with tuberculosis.
- External use of the oil helps eliminate problems of dermatological nature. It is effective in the treatment of eczema, lupus.
- This is an indispensable and first aid in mild burns. Thanks to anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, hemp oil removes the characteristic pain and redness. Its further use promotes wound healing.
- The ability of the product to activate the process of absorption of calcium in the body is beneficial for joint diseases, rheumatism, fractures.
The restorative, cleansing, emollient properties of hemp oil are used in the treatment of many diseases.
In case of diabetes.
Useful elements and chemical compounds that make up the oil, help reduce the body's resistance to insulin and improve its action. It normalizes blood sugar levels and minimizes the level of diabetes patients. The ability of hemp oil to relieve pancreatic inflammation prevents the development of complications from the disease.
The approval of the attending physician is required before using.
Hemp oil not only improves the digestive process, but also has a beneficial effect on the organ affected by the disease. It helps to normalize the work of the pancreas. The oil's analgesic properties can reduce the unpleasant tingling sensation of pancreatitis.
Consuming oil in food, you should keep in mind the high caloric content of the product. It is introduced into the diet gradually, so as not to overload the affected organ. Hemp seed oil is added to salads and not taken in its pure form. It is not included in the diet during an exacerbation of the disease.
Regular use of hemp oil in the morning hours before meals improves bowel function. Its soothing properties prevent flatulence and constipation. If you have frequent problems with stool, it is recommended to make cleansing enemas with the addition of oil. This method should not be used if there are chronic diseases of the digestive organs, kidney and gallbladder stones.
Fatty acids, antioxidants, phospholipids that make up the oil from hemp seeds, protect the liver cells from destruction. By including it in the daily diet, you can reduce the load on the organ, thereby improving its functioning. The product is used for prophylactic purposes to cleanse the liver as well as for hepatitis and other infectious diseases.
The anti-inflammatory and healing properties of the oil are widely used in the treatment of hemorrhoids. It is impregnated with tampons and inserted into the anus, leaving them in the anus for the night. The effectiveness of the treatment is directly related to the degree of complexity of the patient's condition.
Due to the content of a large number of antioxidants, the product is recommended to use not only for prevention, but also include in the complex treatment of cancer. Its ability to enhance immunity helps patients recover faster after chemotherapy sessions. Anti-inflammatory and strengthening properties of the oil prevent the spread of metastases and new malignancies. The intake should be started only after approval by specialists.
Having a calming effect on the nerve endings, the product helps to reduce epileptic seizures. An excellent herbal antidepressant combined with medication helps to normalize the patient's condition and increases the chance of recovery.
The anti-inflammatory, cleansing effect of hemp oil reduces the risk of skin irritations, accelerates the regeneration of the epidermis. All this contributes to faster healing of ulcers and prevents the emergence of new ones. The skin is moisturized, dryness and a feeling of tightness disappear.
In addition to all the above-mentioned useful properties, the oil also has antiparasitic action. It is used to prevent the appearance of worms, as well as their removal from the body. For this purpose, take a teaspoon of oil in the morning before meals. To increase its effectiveness, you can combine it with chamomile decoction.
Hemp oil does not cause allergies, so it is excellent for eliminating parasites from children's bodies. A sponge or cotton swab is soaked in the healing agent and applied to the anus. It is desirable to carry out the procedure at night.
Oil from hemp seeds is included in the complex treatment. From it make lotions, which have anti-inflammatory and pain-reducing effects. A small piece of gauze is soaked in oil and applied to the inflamed area. To improve the effect, wrap it in a woolen scarf. Such a procedure is carried out at night. In the morning after removing the sore spot rubbed with apple cider vinegar. Repeat the procedure for several days.
Hemp oil in cosmetology
Hemp oil has a beneficial effect on the body from the inside, as well as on the external condition of the skin, hair and nails. It accelerates cell regeneration and restores the lipid barrier by providing linoleic acid, which is why it is added to masks for dry and sensitive skin. Because it contains an optimal balance of omega-3 and omega-6 acids, which are essential for the body, it helps to maintain and restore the human hormonal background. That's why it is an irreplaceable component not only of anti-aging skin care products, but also of cosmetics for teenagers.
The moisturizing properties of the product are used to prepare lotions after sunburn. It prevents skin dryness and peeling after the sun and sea water exposure.
Almost all massage lotions also contain hemp seed oil. This is due to its high level of penetration into the epidermis.
The vitamin and mineral complex of the product provides additional nutrition for the scalp and hair follicles. Masks and shampoos prepared on the basis of the oil, prevent dandruff, accelerate hair growth, giving it a healthy shine.
On the basis of hemp oil masks, lotions can be prepared at home.
For the face
Moisturizing lotion for dry and sensitive skin
This product has nourishing properties, narrows pores. As a result, the skin on the face becomes soft and gets a natural healthy look.
- 25 ml of hemp seed oil.
- 250 ml of purified water.
- 200ml of fresh 20% cream.
- 150 ml of camphor rubbing alcohol.
- 30 ml of liquid honey.
- 2 lemons.
- 3 yolks.
Stages of preparation:
- Squeeze the juice from the lemons.
- Put the citron in a separate container and pour boiling water. Place in a warm place, additionally wrapped with a woolen scarf. Leave it for 90 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through gauze and let it cool. Mix the resulting infusion with honey, add lemon juice.
- Mix egg yolks with hemp oil, pour cream in a thin stream.
- Combine lemon and honey and egg mixture. Whisk.
- Pour in alcohol, mix. Filter mixture through gauze.
- Pour into a glass bottle or jar (preferably with tinted glass).
- Add as much water as you need to make 1/2 liter of lotion.
Keep in the refrigerator. Shake well before use. Use before bedtime. Shelf life - 7 months.
Facial Rejuvenation Mask
- 15g olive oil.
- 20g of hemp oil.
- 5 ml of lemon juice.
- 3 ml of tea tree oil.
- Stir in olive oil and hemp oil.
- Pour in lemon juice and tea tree oil.
- Apply the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Remove with a cotton pad. Leave on your face and rinse with cool water.
Cosmetic will make the skin firmer and give a healthy shine to the face.
- 25 g of oat flour.
- 30 g sour cream (20% fat content).
- 1 egg yolk.
- 1.5 tsp. hemp oil.
Sequence of steps:
- Mix the oat flour with the sour cream.
- Mix in egg yolk and remaining oil.
- Apply to cleansed skin. Time of action - 10-15 minutes. To enhance the effect repeat 2-3 times in 10 days.
Remedy against acne and blackheads
- Blue clay - 1,5 tbsp.
- Ground rye bran - 70 g.
- Hemp oil - 50 gr.
Method of preparation:
- Dissolve the clay in warm water. Pour in a mass of bran. Pour the oil from hemp seeds.
- Leave the product for 10 minutes. After that time it is ready to use.
- Apply to the face. As the clay dries, moisturize the face with water.
- After the allotted time (a quarter of an hour), remove the rest of the mixture with a cosmetic sponge. Wash the face with warm water.
- 20 g honey.
- 2 tbsp. hemp seed oil.
- 1 tbsp carrot juice.
- 3-4 drops of lavender oil.
- Melt the honey in a steam bath and warm it up slightly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Shake the mixture.
- Apply to the hair, starting from the roots (wear gloves). For extra warmth use shower cap and towel.
- Rinse out after 60-90 minutes. For greater efficiency use every 4 days.
For thicker, fuller hair
- 5 tbsp. hemp oil.
- 3 ml lemongrass oil.
- 2ml coriander oil.
- 1ml rose oil.
Sequence of steps:
- Pour the hemp seed oil into a glass and put it in hot water for 5 minutes. In this way, it will warm up to the right temperature.
- Put into it all the other ingredients. Stir it.
- Rub the oil mixture gently into the scalp, comb it. Wear a polyethylene cap. Wrap your head with a handkerchief or bath towel.
- Wash off after 2 hours.
Use before every washing, but no more than twice a week.
- 6 tbsp. hemp oil.
- 3 drops of chamomile juice.
- 2 drops rosemary oil.
- 4 drops geranium oil.
- Pour hemp oil into a jar and place in a bowl of hot water for 7 minutes.
- Mix the chamomile infusion and the rest of the ingredients with warm oil.
- Apply the mask to the hair and leave for 70 minutes. At the end of time, rinse generously with warm water.
Shine and radiance
- Jojoba oil - 2 ml.
- Apple cider vinegar - 15 ml.
- Honey - 10 gr.
- Protein - 1 pc.
- Hemp seed oil - 10 ml.
- Starch - ½ tsp.
Sequence of steps:
- Add all ingredients in turn to the melted honey and whisk with a mixer.
- Apply the mixture to the entire length of the hair. Comb the hair thoroughly.
- Repeat the procedure after 20 minutes.
- Wrap your head in a towel and leave it for an hour. After the time is up (1 hour), you can start washing your head.
For the body
Firming bath with oils
- 3 cups whole milk.
- 10 ml of hemp oil.
- 3 tsp. honey.
- 3 g geranium oil.
- 2 g ginger oil.
- Dissolve the oils in warm milk.
- Add mixture to the bath. The optimum temperature for taking the procedure - 40 ° C, time - 30 minutes.
Such a bath should be taken once every 14 days. The procedure not only improves the condition of the skin, but also stimulates blood circulation. Thanks to this procedure improves blood circulation, pores open, and the skin begins to breathe.
- 50 g of cosmetic clay.
- 1 tbsp. hemp oil.
- 2 ml each of grapefruit, lemon, orange and juniper oils.
- 10g ground cinnamon.
- Mix the oils with the clay and cinnamon. The consistency of the resulting mass should be similar to sour cream. If it is too thick, dilute with the necessary amount of water.
- Apply to the thighs and legs. Cover your body with cling film. Wrap up with a plaid.
- Hold for 60 minutes. After that time, rinse with water.
- ½ tbsp. sea salt.
- 1 tbsp sandalwood oil and olive oil (cold-pressed).
- 2 tsp. hemp seed oil.
- Mix all ingredients.
- Apply by massaging all over the body.
- Rinse off with hot water. Then reduce the temperature and take a cool shower. Use it after a bath.
- 3 tbsp. sea salt.
- 1/2 tbsp orange oil.
- 1 tbsp. hemp oil.
- 0,5 tbsp lemon oil.
Sequence of steps:
- Dissolve the sea salt in a separate container.
- Add the oils.
- Pour the solution into a bathtub with water.
- Take no longer than 25 minutes. Repeat the treatment every other day for 10 days.
Toning body mask
- 1 tbsp. semolina.
- 0.5 tbsp. honey.
- 2 tbsp. milk.
- 4 egg yolks.
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice.
- 50g hemp oil.
- 1/2 tsp. salt.
Method of preparation:
- Boil liquid semolina, adding salt in the process. Slightly cool it.
- Squeeze out the juice from a lemon.
- Slowly stir in the semolina and the raw egg yolks.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Beat up.
- Spread evenly all over the body. Leave it on until it is completely dry.
- Rinse off with hot water. It is desirable to take a contrast shower and use a moisturizing body milk.
The mask should be applied once in 10-15 days.
Hemp seed oil not only has useful properties, but also has a pleasant taste. Because of this, it is used in the preparation of various dishes and pastries.
- It makes an excellent dressing for light vegetable, meat or fish salads. The oil gives a refined taste with light nutty notes.
- It also goes well with boiled vegetables.
- Adding it to sauces, hostesses get not only a tasty and healthy condiment. Light emerald oil will improve the color of any sauce.
- Hemp oil can replace butter in already cooked porridge or pasta.
- It is an excellent ingredient for baked goods, giving the dough a unique taste and softness.
Can I fry in hemp oil?
For all its unique properties, the oil has a low boiling point and cannot stand heat treatment. It is not recommended to heat it at any temperature, much less use it for frying. Thermal processing causes the oil's taste properties to deteriorate and it loses most of its useful properties.
The most valuable oil releases peroxides during heating. These are quite dangerous substances for the body, which can have a detrimental effect on health.
Health Hazards and Contraindications
In addition to its many beneficial properties, hemp oil should be taken with caution. This is especially true for people with allergies or individual intolerance to one of the components of the oil and those who take blood thinning medications. An allergic reaction may occur not only when taking the oil orally, but also when used externally.
The main contraindications concern the category of people with chronic diseases:
- cardiovascular system.
Hemp oil for the treatment of diabetes of any degree, cancer should be started only after the approval of the attending physician.
Although technical cannabinoids are fairly low in content and have no hallucinogenic effects, they are not recommended for people with severe mental disorders of a chronic nature.
Unpleasant symptoms of overdose or intolerance of the oil appear after a few hours. They are accompanied by diarrhea, vomiting, spasmodic abdominal pain, sometimes dizziness. At the first signs of poisoning it is necessary to take some sort of sorbent and consult a doctor.
All this can be avoided by not exceeding the allowable norm - not more than 20 ml of hemp oil per day.
How to choose and store hemp oil
The unique and useful composition of hemp seed is fully preserved only in the product obtained by cold-pressing. Such oil is available for sale in pharmacies and supermarkets.
When buying should pay attention to the following points:
- The container. Quality oil is packaged in bottles with tinted glass. This helps protect the oil from sunlight.
- Composition. Hemp oil is a natural product, without any additives.
- Color. The chlorophyll in the oil colors the finished product in shades of green. The more of this ingredient, the darker the oil.
- Taste. It has a pleasant, slightly sour taste with a nutty aftertaste. The oil should not be bitter under any circumstances.
Some producers bottle the ready oil with a dispenser. This serves as a great addition for convenient use.
Store hemp oil is recommended in a dark place, without access to sunlight. The humidity in the room should not exceed 10-13%.
Hemp oil cold-pressed has a short shelf life (6 to 10 months), so do not buy it in large quantities.
How to take hemp oil correctly
Including the product in the daily diet, you should be aware of the allowable dosage. For adults, the norm is 20 ml or no more than 2 tablespoons per day. For children over 5 years old, half the adult dose is enough.
- For preventive purposes. To replenish the supply of useful substances in the body to take the oil after meals - 1 tsp. 2-3 times a day. In the summer to take a break.
- To improve the immune system. The oil should be taken for 14-20 days. The daily rate - 1 tbsp. in the morning and evening after a meal.
- In the complex treatment of various kinds of diseases. In this case, you need to drink 1 tbsp. for 30 minutes before a meal 3 times a day. Prophylaxis to continue for 20-30 days, then make a break.
- To improve the digestive organs. Hemp seed oil to take 1 dessert spoon in the morning, immediately after bed.
- For inflammatory processes. Before breakfast you should drink 1 tbsp. oil.
Treatment should begin only after consultation with your doctor.
- Treatment of abscesses on the surface of the skin. In combination with starch, hemp oil lotions reduce pain and soften the skin. Mix the two components, apply to a cotton tampon and apply to the site of the abscess. Fix it with a plaster.
- To treat calluses. To eliminate, use a mixture of hemp oil and honey. Before application, steam the feet well.
- Burns. The first aid is to lubricate the place of injury with oil from hemp seed. For further treatment, you can use lotions, combining the main ingredient with egg white.
- Skin irritations. Lubricate the rash area with oil several times a day.
- Hemorrhoids. Soaked in oil tampon inserted into the anus at night. The procedure is repeated for 5-7 days.
- Radiculitis. Relieve painful symptoms will help rubbing hemp oil. This kind of rubbing can be done 2 times a day until the final relief of the attack.
- Hemp oil is also suitable for anti-cellulite massages. The effectiveness is enhanced if you add oil of lemongrass, rosemary and lavender to the main component.
To improve bowel function, especially constipation, it is recommended to combine the internal use of oil with the external. In this case, you should drink 1 tbsp. oil before meals and do oil enemas. Room temperature oil (40-60 ml) injected in the evening before going to bed in the rectum.
Interesting facts about hemp
- The first mention of hemp oil dates back to 2800 BC. It was found in ancient Chinese manuscripts. It also mentions the medicinal properties of the product.
- Scientists have found that the life expectancy of birds that consume hemp seeds is somewhat longer compared to others.
- The first to figure out how to produce hemp oil were the Scythians. Later on, the useful hemp product began to be used in Russia and Europe, and later spread around the world. Now hemp has found a use in almost every country.
- In ancient Greece, hemp was used to make a drink. Locals used to say that it could relieve not only thirst, but also suffering.
- Hemp seed contains much more protein than soybeans.
- Hemp is used in the manufacture of paper, cosmetics and cloth. It is also used in medicine.
- Technical strains grow very fast, the seeds take just three months to mature. It is an undemanding plant which can be grown in almost any environment.
- In the United States there is a holiday dedicated to cannabis. In its honor various rallies are organized, people who come out on them want to achieve the legalization of the forbidden plant. There are also various festivals and other events of an entertainment nature. This day is celebrated by supporters of the use of the plant in industry and fans of the recreational qualities of cannabis.
- Until the mid-20th century in the USSR the area of hemp fields was comparable to wheat fields. Even on the famous Friendship of Peoples Fountain in Moscow, along with sunflowers and ears of wheat, hemp leaves are an ornament.
- Before the prohibition of hemp cultivation about 85% of ship tackle (sails and ropes) were made of hemp. This fabric did not decompose under the influence of sea salt for a century. Archaeological finds on the seabed are proof of this.
- The draft of the U.S. Declaration of Independence and the first printed maps were made on hemp paper.
- The ancient Slavs made porridge from hemp seed. The high calorie content of the dish saved people from starvation in bad harvest years.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only. for informational purposes only. Please consult with your health care professional before using any of the recommendations. specialist before using any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."