Red onions: useful properties and contraindications
Red onion is a source of a large number of vitamins and minerals. He has excellent taste characteristics, is used for the preparation of a variety of dishes and has a beneficial effect on the human body.
- How red onions differ from ordinary onions
- Which onion is better: red or white?
- Composition and Calories
- What are the health benefits of red onions?
- Overall Benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- For Pregnancy
- When breastfeeding
- For kids
- When losing weight
- Red onion in medicine
- Diabetes mellitus
- For gastritis
- For Liver
- Cosmetic Uses of Red Onions
- For Face
- For Hair
- Red Onions in Cooking
- Can I Fry Onions?
- Can I Put Red Onions in Soup?
- Can red onions be added to croquettes?
- Hazards and Contraindications
- How to Pick and Store Red Onions
- How to Pickle Red Onions
- How to Dye Eggs with Red Onion Peels
- Interesting facts about onions
How red onions differ from ordinary onions
Red onions do not have many distinctive features, but it is because of them that they stand out among other varieties:
- Color. A rich red hue with a touch of purple onion got through the efforts of breeders. The color of the red onion sets it apart from all the other varieties and allows it to be used not only as a component of many dishes, but also as a decoration of the festive table.
- Taste characteristics. The taste of red onions, unlike onions, is more pleasant, rich and slightly sweet. Such flavor characteristics are provided by the composition of this vegetable.
- Composition. The composition of red onions includes many useful trace elements, including a large number of antioxidants, essential oils, disulfide.
Which onion is better: red or white
Each of the existing varieties of onion is suitable for cooking certain dishes. For example, white is ideal for stuffing, making light sauces, marinades and roasts, and red is excellent for salads, a variety of side dishes and even baking.
However, if we talk about the useful properties of vegetables, the white onion is significantly inferior to the red one, which is confirmed by many studies. Scientists have proven that red onions have unique, useful properties and beneficial effects on human health. Its regular consumption helps to improve the body's defenses, prevents the development of cancer, contributing to the death of cancer cells and rejuvenation of the entire body.
Based on this data, it is safe to say that red onions are much better than white onions. He has not only unique taste characteristics, but also a lot of healing properties.
Composition and Calories
The unique taste characteristics and beneficial effect of this product on the human body are provided by the trace elements and vitamins that are part of the red onion. In 100 g of this vegetable contains:
- 1.0 µg beta-carotene.
- 0.3 µg of vitamin K.
- 4.8 mg of vitamin C.
- 0.1 mg of vitamin B3.
- 5.5 mg of vitamin B4.
- 0.1 mg of vitamin B5.
- 0.1 mg of vitamin B6.
- 23 mcg of vitamin B9.
- 20 mg of calcium.
- 0.5 µg of selenium.
- 0.3 mg of iron.
- 0.1 mg of manganese.
- 9 mg magnesium.
- 0.1 mg of copper.
- 27 mg of phosphorus.
- 0.1 mg zinc.
- 119 mg potassium.
- 8 mg sodium.
Red onions are considered a low-calorie product. There are only 42 calories in 100 grams. In addition, it has a low glycemic index, which allows it to be used as a food not only during a diet whose goal is weight loss, but also in the diet of people suffering from diabetes.
What are the health benefits of red onions
Due to their unique, rich composition, red onions have many health benefits, and their regular consumption will help significantly improve your health. The micro-, macronutrients and vitamins found in this product help:
- reduce the risk of strokes;
- prevent the development of cardiovascular disease;
- remove accumulations of harmful cholesterol;
- improve the health of the human body;
- improve the immune system;
- reduce blood sugar levels;
- remove accumulations of toxins;
- prevent the development of cancer;
- improve the function of the nervous system;
- to eliminate or reduce the symptoms of allergies;
- remove excess fluid from the body, preventing the formation of edema;
- To prevent the development of avitaminosis;
- Improve the function of the liver and kidneys.
The elements that make up red onions have a beneficial effect on the female body. The introduction of this unique product in the daily diet helps:
- improve the function of the female reproductive system;
- prevent the formation of cysts and malignant tumors;
- suppress inflammatory processes;
- to balance the hormonal background;
- correct menstrual cycle malfunctions;
- to improve the condition of the skin;
- restore the attractive appearance of hair;
- strengthen the nails.
In addition, regular consumption of red onions saturates the female body with a huge amount of vitamins, macro-and micronutrients, which, in turn, help to cope with constant stress, prevent the development of avitaminosis and stop the premature aging of the skin and the whole body.
Red onions have a positive effect on the male reproductive system as well. Regular use of this product helps to establish the production of testosterone, restore libido, increase sperm activity and the quality of erections.
However, you should not expect changes after a week of consumption of this product. Doctors note that red onion shows its positive effect on the male body only in 1-2 months after its introduction into the daily diet.
Doctors do not recommend excluding red onions from your daily diet during pregnancy. Regular consumption of this product will help expectant mothers
- reduce the risk of colds;
- cope with stress;
- saturate the body with elements that are necessary for the proper development of the fetus;
- get rid of edema.
However, it is worth noting that to manifest its unique properties, red onions can only if a pregnant woman has no contraindications to its consumption.
But during the period of breastfeeding the child with mother's milk, it is better to refuse to consume this product. According to pediatricians, its components can provoke the development of intestinal colic in the newborn, which will lead to a restless state of the baby.
Pediatricians recommend that women introduce red onions into the daily diet only after the baby is six months old. However, this should be done with extreme caution and start introducing onions in small quantities, monitoring the condition of the child. In the case of allergic reactions and other adverse reactions, you need to refuse its use for another month.
The usefulness of red onions for children's bodies is difficult to overestimate. It has a beneficial effect on bone tissue and promotes the formation of strong, healthy teeth.
In addition, regular consumption of this product will help:
- strengthen a child's immunity;
- increase stress resistance;
- Reduce the risk of allergic reactions;
- prevent the development of avitaminosis.
Despite the great benefits of this product, pediatricians advise parents to introduce it to children's diet with caution. If unwanted reactions occur after using it, you should exclude it from your child's daily menu for a while and consult your doctor.
When losing weight
Red onion includes in its composition components that contribute to the breakdown of fat cells, than accelerate the process of weight loss. In addition, this unique food product has a beneficial effect on the whole body and has many beneficial properties. Its inclusion in the diet menu helps:
- speed up the metabolism;
- Reduce blood cholesterol levels;
- Improve the function of the gastrointestinal tract;
- normalize the water-salt balance;
- flush excess fluid from the body.
All these properties of red onions not only help to get rid of extra pounds, but also contribute to improving overall health.
Red onion in medicine
Traditional medicine confirms the healing properties of red onions. Many physicians advise using this product as an adjunct during the treatment of common diseases.
Onion therapy in combination with traditional medicines helps to cope with the unpleasant manifestations of diabetes, colds, avitaminosis and even some liver diseases.
Medics recommend including red onions in the daily diet of those patients who suffer from diabetes mellitus. Regular use of this product will help reduce blood glucose levels, remove harmful cholesterol, toxins and excess weight, which diabetics often suffer from.
Systematic use of red onions will protect people with diabetes:
- From colds - increases the body's resistance to viruses that attack it.
- Avitaminosis - saturates the body with many minerals and vitamins.
- The formation of edema, which often occurs with this disease.
According to experienced therapists, red onions are good for any type of diabetes. They can be consumed both fresh and cooked. The only exception to this rule can be called fried onions, since when frying it uses oil, which increases the caloric value of the product.
Important: The glycemic index of red onions is 15 units.
Gastritis is a disease characterized by the development of acute or chronic inflammatory processes on the mucous membrane of the stomach. During its treatment, patients are shown not only a complex, drug therapy, but also a strict diet that implies complete or partial elimination from the daily diet of certain foods. These include raw red onions.
When inflammation of the mucous membranes of the gastrointestinal tract, raw onions act as an irritant and provoke the production of acid, which leads to the aggravation of the patient's general condition and the development of the disease. For this reason, gastroenterologists strongly recommend their patients to completely eliminate raw onions from the daily diet during exacerbation of the disease.
However, during a persistent remission, red onions can have a beneficial effect on the body:
- strengthen the immune system;
- improve metabolism;
- provide redox processes;
- improve adrenal function;
- flush out harmful cholesterol;
- saturate with vitamins.
Doctors point out that even during remission, red onions should be used with extreme caution and only after consultation with the attending gastroenterologist. In this case, most patients are allowed to diversify their diet with onions boiled for a few minutes. This method of heat treatment allows you to preserve most of the vitamins, trace elements and reduces the negative impact on the mucous membranes.
For the liver
As paradoxical as it may sound, but red onion is an indispensable product for the health of the liver. It is used to treat many diseases of this vital organ, including cirrhosis and hepatitis.
However, medics do not advise deciding on the appropriateness of such therapy on their own, because in some cases, treatment with onions can have the opposite effect.
The use of red onions in cosmetology
The rich composition of red onions allows them to be used not only to treat many diseases, but also to improve the appearance, recovery and rejuvenation of the skin. There are many recipes that improve the condition of the skin, but the most popular and effective are the following options.
A mask that improves the color of the skin
To prepare this amazing remedy, you will need the following ingredients:
- red onion;
- black radish;
Grind all the ingredients to a mushy state, mix them in equal quantities and apply the resulting mixture to the cleansed skin of the face. Remove the mask from your skin after 25 minutes. Do this with cold water, without using soap or other cleansers.
Rejuvenating beauty product
To make this amazing mask, prepare the following ingredients:
- onion juice;
- white lily juice;
- white wax.
Mix the ingredients in equal quantities and heat over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove the mask from the fire when all the ingredients have dissolved. After it has cooled completely, apply the mixture to the skin of the face and soak for 1 hour. Wash off the mask with warm water, using soap or any other cleanser.
To prepare a moisturizer, take the following ingredients:
- 5 ml of onion juice;
- 5 ml of cucumber juice;
- 250 ml of water.
Mix the ingredients in the indicated quantity and use the resulting liquid as a moisturizing lotion. Rub your skin with this remedy twice a day and enjoy its softness and attractive appearance.
Whitening Remedy with Onion Juice
Remove freckles and whiten the skin of the face will help a remedy that includes the following components:
- 5 g of calendula flowers;
- 100 ml of boiling water;
- 5 ml of onion juice.
If you have a problem with this, you should use the following words: "I have a problem with it", "I have a problem with it". After that time, strain the infusion, add onion juice and wipe your skin with it 4 times a day.
Means, which includes red onions, are also used to improve the condition of the hair and scalp.
Remedy for dandruff and greasy shine
To prepare a remedy, prepare the following components:
- Onion juice;
Take equal amounts of onion juice and vodka, mix and apply the resulting liquid on your skin before washing your head. Do not use more than three times a week.
A remedy for preventing hair loss
To prevent hair loss and to awaken dormant hair follicles, use ingredients such as
- onion husks;
- boiling water.
Mix 1 part onion husk with 20 parts boiling water, leave until completely cooled and rub the resulting infusion into the scalp 2-3 times a week.
Nourishing onion mask
To prepare this remedy, you will need the following ingredients:
- 10 ml of onion juice;
- 1 egg yolk;
- 10 ml of castor oil;
- 10 ml of burdock oil;
- 1 ampoule of vitamin A;
- 3 drops of lemon oil.
Mix all the ingredients in a small glass container, rub the resulting mixture into the hair roots and leave for 30 minutes. After the indicated time, wash the mask with your usual shampoo. To get rid of the smell of onions, you can wash your hair with a vinegar solution.
Onion nourishing hair mask
This remedy is prepared from the following components:
- 20 ml of onion juice;
- 5 ml of honey;
- 10 ml of yogurt;
- 10 ml of burdock oil.
Place all the ingredients in any container of small size, and mix thoroughly. The resulting mask rub into the roots of the hair, and then distribute with a comb on the entire length. Rinse the mask after 60 minutes, using the usual shampoo and balm.
Cosmetologists do not recommend using natural cosmetic products without first being tested for allergic reactions. Apply a small amount of any home remedy on the inside of your wrist and leave it for 5-7 minutes. After the specified time, rinse the product from the skin. If in its place appeared redness, rash or severe itching, from the use of such homemade cosmetics is better to give up. Otherwise, a serious allergic reaction can follow, which will require long-term treatment.
Red onions in cooking
Red onion is widely used for the preparation of many dishes. He is a component of many soups, salads, side dishes, fish, meat dishes and can be served stewed, pickled, baked. However, only red onions that were grown under the right conditions will have amazing flavor.
Can I Roast Onions
According to experienced cooks, red onions, like any other, can be fried. However, it is worth considering the fact that during frying, this vegetable will lose its attractive color and acquire a blue, dark brown hue, which can negatively affect the appearance of the first dishes. To solve this problem and maintain the beautiful color of red onions it should be mixed with tomato paste during frying.
Can red onions be added to soup?
Red onions can also be used when making soups. They can help change the taste of a familiar dish and make it unique.
Can red onions be added to meatballs?
Red onions go well with all kinds of meat. It can be used not only in soups, side dishes and salads, but also to replace the usual onions in cutlets, zrazy and other meat dishes.
Harms and Contraindications
The benefits of red onions for the human body are undeniable. However, in some cases, the effect of his consumption can be the opposite.
Medics strongly recommend to refuse to consume this product to those people who suffer from:
- from kidney disorders;
- some liver diseases;
- Increased acid content in the stomach;
- Sluggish or acute inflammatory processes occurring in the stomach or intestines;
In addition, the contraindication to the use of red onions is considered an individual intolerance of this vegetable and the first six months after childbirth, provided that the baby is breastfed.
Therapists draw the attention of their patients to the fact that neglecting the contraindications can provoke a deterioration of the general condition, the increase in the symptoms of some diseases and the development of serious complications that will require a long and serious treatment.
How to choose and store red onions
Experts note that only high-quality vegetables have useful properties. Therefore, when buying red onions, it is important to know how to choose a high quality product.
When choosing a red onion, you should pay attention to such parameters:
- Weight. The weight of a quality onion should correspond to its size. A small weight indicates that the product is spoiled or affected by parasites.
- The color of the husk. The presence of dark spots indicates that the onion is spoiled and unfit for consumption.
- Integrity. A quality bow should be free of any damage or cracks.
- Density. A good quality onion should not be soft.
- Flavor. The presence of a pungent smell indicates that the product is not suitable for consumption. The smell should be light and unmixed.
- Shine. The presence of gloss on the husks of red onions indicates its high quality.
- Presence of moisture. The damp surface of the onion indicates that it has begun to spoil. Consumption of such a vegetable can lead to poisoning.
- Size. Onions that are larger than 5 cm in size may have low taste qualities.
- Presence of mold. Mildew on the surface of the onion indicates that the vegetable is spoiled and not suitable for consumption.
Experienced housewives advise against buying red onions with too few husks, as they will be stored for a short time. In addition, it is extremely difficult to assess the quality of such a product.
When buying large quantities of red onions, it is important to know how to store them properly, since if they are not stored properly, they lose their useful properties and taste characteristics and can spoil too quickly.
Following a few simple rules will help preserve the useful properties and taste characteristics of red onions for a long time:
- Maintain a stable temperature range. Red onions should be stored at a constant temperature of no more than 18 degrees Celsius.
- Monitor air humidity. The humidity in the room intended for storing red onions should not exceed the 60% mark.
- Remove spoiled onions. Onions that have been stored for a long time should be periodically checked. Throw away spoiled onions to prevent all vegetables from spoiling.
- Choose the right containers for storage. Onions should not be stored in plastic bags. Small wooden boxes are ideal.
Following these simple rules will help preserve red onions for a long time.
How to pickle red onions
Pickled onions are a great snack, used as an accompaniment to many meat dishes and to make delicious sandwiches.
To make pickled red onions you will need:
- red onions - 3 pcs;
- sugar - 1 small spoon;
- salt - half a teaspoon;
- wine vinegar - 40 ml;
- garlic - 2 cloves;
- red pepper - 7 peas;
- allspice - 5 peas;
- rosemary - 2 small sprigs;
- water - 300 ml;
- olive oil - 30 ml.
Method for cooking pickled onions:
- Rinse onions under clean running water, removing dust and other impurities.
- Remove the husks.
- Slice into rings.
- Place the sliced onions in a large colander and rinse with boiling water.
- Rinse with plenty of cold water.
- Repeat step 4 and 5 again. This will help remove all the bitterness and spice.
- Peel the garlic.
- Cut it into several pieces.
- Place the onions in a marinade dish.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and fill with the above mentioned amount of hot water.
- Stir thoroughly.
Pickled onions will be ready in 2 hours and can be stored for 7 days.
How to dye eggs with the husks of red onions
Many housewives find a use not only for onions, but also their husks, and dye eggs with it for Easter. To dye eggs with the husks of red onions, prepare the following components:
- the required number of eggs;
- onion husks;
Dyeing eggs with onion husks consists of several stages:
- Preparation. Take the eggs out of the refrigerator, wash them thoroughly under running water and let them warm up to room temperature. This will prevent them from cracking during cooking. Prepare a large enameled pot, the volume of which will correspond to the number of eggs.
- Prepare the natural dye. Place the husks in a pot, pour water, add 1-2 teaspoons of salt and cook it on a low heat for at least 45 minutes.
- Dyeing. Place the eggs in the pot, increase the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. They should be turned periodically to ensure even coloration.
- Cooling. Cool the colored eggs in cold water, dry them and rub them with vegetable oil. This will help to give them a beautiful shine and make their appearance even more attractive.
Fun Facts about Onions
About the useful properties of onions is known to every second person, but few people are aware of such facts:
- The scientific name of the onion sounds like "alium."
- The name "alium" was given to the onion by Carl Linnaeus.
- More than 900 varieties of onion are known today. Only 228 varieties belong to vegetable crops.
- According to many researchers, the onion is native to Asia.
- In Europe, onions have been known as food since the Bronze Age.
- The Egyptians knew of the existence of onions as early as 3,000 years B.C.
- Researchers found an image of an onion on the border of Tutankhamen.
- In China and India, onions began to be cultivated about 5,000 years ago.
- Onions were introduced to modern America by Christopher Columbus.
- Libya is the leader in the consumption of this vegetable.
- In all cities of India not a single meal is without onions.
- Onions are called "turnips" because of their resemblance to the common turnip.
- The national symbol of Wales is the leek.
- This unique vegetable contains more natural sugar than pears and apples.
- Onions help to cope not only with colds, but also with many other diseases.
- There is a special onion diet, which helps to quickly get rid of extra pounds.
- Eating half an onion a day, a person protects himself from colds and increases immunity.
- Onions have analgesic properties. Rubbing the juice of this vegetable in the place of a bee, wasp or bumblebee sting will remove the pain in just a few seconds.
- Onions can improve the appetite.
- This vegetable is an excellent antiseptic.
Red onion is a unique vegetable, regular use of which will help to cope with many diseases, contributes to the recovery and strengthening of the entire body. However, you should not neglect the contraindications and use it in excessive quantities. Such actions will translate to the opposite effect and can cause the development of serious diseases.
«Important: All information on the site is provided solely for introductory purposes purposes. Consult with your health care professional before applying any recommendations. professional before using them. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."