Red rice: composition, useful properties, how to cook it
Rice cereals are very popular and known around the world. There are many varieties, which differ in taste, shape and color. There are basmati, Asian rice, wild brown grain, arborio, red and so on. This article will look at red rice, its features, benefits and contraindications.
- Types of red rice
- What is the difference between red rice and white and brown rice
- Composition and calories
- What is the usefulness of red rice
- General Benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- For breastfeeding
- For Children
- Benefits of Red Rice Flour
- Benefits of Red Rice Flour for Weight Loss
- Red Rice in Medicine
- Red Rice in Cosmetology
- Harms and Contraindications
- How to Choose and Store Red Rice
- How to Boil Red Rice
- What to eat red rice with
- Interesting Rice Facts
The Chinese consider red rice to be the most useful grain. It is known that the poor population of China used to be unable to afford this cereal. In some countries, because of its color, the grain was assigned mystical powers. In fact, rice has this color due to partial grinding. During processing, part of the shell remains and gives the grain a reddish hue.
Types of Red Rice
There are a total of two types of red rice:
- Loosely polished.
There are six most popular varieties:
- "Camargue. Whole-grain unground cereal, grown in France. The husk is soft, which does not cause digestive problems. Rice contains many antioxidants and dietary fiber. It has a taste reminiscent of nuts.
- "Ruby". This variety does not contain gluten, which helps people with allergies to expand their menu. But the caloric value of the rice is increased. The grain is round-shaped and does not stick together during cooking.
- "Dev-Zira. Uzbek rice, which is ideal for pilaf. The price of such groats is high because of the difficult processing. The grains are husked, then they are aged for a couple of years, regularly watering them. When the time is up, they are dried, milled, and coated with a special pink powder.
- "California Ruby." Ungrinded short grains are grown in California. The composition is almost the same as the Russian aforementioned "Ruby."
- "Japonica." Round-grain rice grows in Japan. It is used to make sushi/rolls.
- "Cargo". Peeled grains have a long shape. The taste differs from the others with a sweetish flavor.
How red rice differs from white and brown rice
The main and main difference between the rice is the color. Red rice is not sanded, only peeled. Therefore, all the useful properties, microelements, vitamins, amino acids, fiber are preserved. The shell remains on the grain, and this contributes to the fact that the rice when cooked does not turn into mush. White rice is a polished grain that has not retained its shell and germ. After such careful processing, few micronutrients, amino acids, vitamins and valuable fiber remain. Brown rice is the same variety as white rice, but it is not processed as thoroughly. Therefore, there are more important elements in it than in white rice.
Composition and calories
Composition of red rice per 100 g
- fiber - 9.1 g;
- fats - 2.4 g;
- protein - 7.6 g;
- carbohydrates - 69 g;
- calories - 350.
This variety is rich in beneficial macronutrients and trace elements. The amount per 100 g of grain is written in parentheses.
- Copper (277 micrograms). The mineral is responsible for the production of elastin and collagen, which do not allow the skin to age. Copper is involved in the formation of blood hemoglobin.
- Iron (2.3 mg). The trace element supports the immune system. Ensures body growth and transport of oxygen to the tissues (this element is extremely important for children). Normalizes metabolism, is responsible for the production of DNA.
- Selenium (25 micrograms). The mineral boosts the immune system. Eliminates problems of inflammation in the body. Performs one of the important roles in the work of the metabolism. Improves human reproductive ability.
- Fluoride (75 mcg). Prevents tooth decay. Improves the immune system and blood circulation in the body. Eliminates salts of heavy metals.
- Iodine (5 mcg). An extremely important element for the thyroid gland. The element performs many functions: it regulates metabolism, normalizes body temperature, improves brain activity, etc.
- Manganese (4.1 mg). A trace element that is involved in almost all the processes of the body: it regulates the metabolism of carbohydrates and fats, improves the nervous system, and so on.
- Chromium (2.8 mcg). Influences the metabolism of carbohydrates. Lowers cholesterol levels, regulates sugar metabolism, and prevents gaining excess weight.
- Calcium (36 mg). It is a basic element that is involved in the structure of teeth and bones. Calcium regulates blood clotting. Hair and nails will become weak and brittle because of the lack of such a component.
- Sodium (12 mg). Supports water-salt balance in the human body. Normalizes blood pressure.
- Magnesium (150 mg). Normalizes human blood pressure. Positively affects the nervous system. Prevents the development of heart attacks and strokes.
- Potassium (230 mg). It regulates the activity of intracellular pressure. At the same time, sodium normalizes the water-salt balance.
- Zinc (1.7 mg). Prevents the possibility of heart attack and stroke. It strengthens blood vessels. Also this element is good for female and male reproduction.
- Phosphorus (252 mg). Without this trace element, there are no biochemical reactions of the body.
A list of vitamins that are enriched in grains:
- A (0.13 mg). Normalizes metabolism, raises the quality of the immune system, promotes rapid healing of wounds.
- E (0.403 mg). Restores skin damage, improves hair and nails.
- PP (2.3 mg). Lifts people's spirits, improving mental well-being. Normalizes the work of the metabolism.
- B1 (0.43 mg). Positively affects the brain, central nervous system, and muscle development.
- B2 (0.09 mg). Synthesizes protein. Improves metabolism and fat breakdown.
- B4 (1.1 mg). Improves human memory, concentration, and attention.
- B5 (1.58 mg). Water-soluble vitamin improves immune system function and metabolism.
- B6 (0.6 mg). Normalizes amino acid metabolism. Uplifts your mood.
- B9 (0.53 mg). Restores the condition of the hair and prevents the development of skin diseases.
What is red rice good for?
Rice is a complex carbohydrate. Grains that have not been heat-treated have a caloric value of 350 to 390 kcal per 100 g. But cooked cereal has calories three times less.
Having well studied the entire composition of the useful grain, we can conclude that red rice significantly improves the immune system, prevents the possibility of cardiovascular disease. With regular use, the condition of hair, skin, teeth and nails significantly improves. Rice is the prevention of cancer. The cereal is useful for diabetics because it lowers sugar and cholesterol levels.
Women like to look after themselves and want to look flawless. Red rice can help them in this. Regular consumption will rejuvenate the skin, increasing its tone. Collagen, which is present in grains, will eliminate a small amount of wrinkles. Calcium will help grow hair and nails, they will become stronger. The group of vitamins B and magnesium are good for women's bodies.
Men often get tired at work, and rice can restore strength, energy. Grain has a favorable effect on the development of muscles and the nervous system, which is important for men. Reproductivity will become much better even in spite of a heavy workload.
Moms-to-be need to increase the nutritional value in their diet. Red rice can help in this. The grain consists of 70% of easily digestible starch, it will help not to overload the stomach while carrying the baby. Rice consumption will reduce the likelihood of heartburn and stool problems. The absence of gluten plays an important role, because pregnant women due to changes in the hormonal background can have allergies of different nature.
The presence of folic acid promotes good mental development of the baby. Rice can alleviate the symptoms of diarrhea, which often occurs during pregnancy. It is also possible to arrange a day off on red rice, it helps not to gain excess weight.
Red rice when breastfeeding is a must. The mother after the birth of the baby needs a constant maintenance of strength and energy. And rice can easily cope with it, and at the same time it will help not to put on excess weight, which often appears during this period. Micro- and macronutrients of red rice get into the mother's milk and have a positive effect on the development of the baby. Rice improves the condition of bones, muscles, and contributes to the successful early development. The baby ensures good weight gain, which is often a problem with premature infants.
Calcium helps regular cell renewal and creation of new cells, eliminates diarrhea, which is typical for babies in the first months of life and at the introduction of complementary foods. The vitamins and elements of red rice promote good sleep for the baby.
Children are constantly growing, constantly developing. They cannot reach physical, mental and emotional maturity without a complex of vitamins, macronutrients and micronutrients. Red rice will help to restore the spent energy of preschoolers and adolescents. All the vitamins that the cereal contains are useful for early development. It is especially good to consume it before exams, so that the child can quickly engage in mental activity. It also activates concentration, memory.
Rice normalizes the nervous system, which is essential for a child. At school, children are often nervous, so to eliminate the fatigue of the emotional sphere, it is necessary to include a red cereal in the diet.
Benefits of red rice flour
Flour milled from red rice, with proper processing, retains all the useful components. To obtain flour, whole grains that have not yet undergone any processing (grinding, germ removal) are ground into small components. Rice flour contains 8 amino acids, without which the body can not function properly and produce various internal processes.
Mostly red rice flour is added to baked goods, it makes baked goods useful. For example, such products are good for diabetics, as they lower blood sugar. Flour from this cereal will not only give an attractive taste, but also provide the body with almost all the micronutrients, macronutrients and vitamins that a person must consume daily.
Nutritional value of such flour per 100 grams:
- carbohydrates - 72 g;
- protein - 9 g;
- fats - 2 g.
In 100 g of red rice flour there are 342 kcal. During thermal processing this figure decreases by a factor of three.
The benefits of red rice for weight loss
Diets that include red rice in the diet not only contribute to weight loss, but also remove excess cholesterol and triglycerides. The diet is basically designed for 3 days. During this time, the extra fat goes away without harming the body. Rice is able to compensate for all the healthy components that leave the body during these days. This diet improves the digestive function, due to this the size of the stomach is reduced. This will help not to gain weight after the end of the diet. During this time, all harmful toxins, salts of heavy metals in stool and urine will be eliminated.
If you add apples to your diet in addition to rice, then the diet will be easier, and the benefits and effectiveness will not decrease. Apples are not the only products with which you can combine rice. Nutritionists advise to eat protein products during weight loss, so that the body easily sheds weight.
It is possible to lose weight with rice no more than once every six months. Otherwise, it will have a bad effect on the work of the body, because together with toxins go out and useful elements.
Red rice in medicine
The medicinal properties of this rice variety have long been proven. But it is not used in evidence-based medicine. But for centuries it has been treated in the folk medicine of different countries. It is particularly popular in China.
- The red grains of the grain are used for anemia. Its high iron content increases hemoglobin. Rice can also be used for preventive purposes.
- Rice should definitely be in the diet of patients who suffer from celiac disease and transient insufficiency of digestive enzymes.
- Chinese folk medicine uses such rice to treat the spleen and digestive system.
- Valuable grains can cope with more serious diseases, for example, blocking the development of some varieties of tumors.
- Daily consumption of uncooked red rice cures the male potency.
- Not only grains possess medicinal properties, but also sprouts. To do this, pour water on the grits for 24 hours. Then it is drained and poured with clean water so that the rice is half covered. In less than 10 hours sprouts appear. They can be added everywhere: in soups, salads, side dishes, etc.
- Decoction based on red rice helps to cope with infectious diseases. To prepare you will need 100 grams of cereal, which pour 1.5 liters of cold water. Cook the rice for 1.5 hours over a low heat. Then strain the decoction and drink it every 2.5-3 hours on an empty stomach. The dose at one time - 1/4 cup. Rice decoction should be used for pneumonia. It will serve as an antipyretic and diaphoretic, which removes harmful toxins from the patient.
- Arthritis and osteochondrosis are also treated with the valuable grain. For a liter of water, 4 tablespoons of rice, 3 tablespoons of sugar, a few raisins are needed. All components must infuse for 4 days. After the liquid is strained. Drink such an infusion of 0.5 glass before bedtime. The course lasts from 2 months to three months.
The use of red rice in cosmetology
In Japan and China, red rice has long been used for cosmetic purposes. It can hydrate, refresh, whiten and rejuvenate the skin.
- Skin whitening. Take red rice flour, pour any warm milk. Mix the mass until a homogeneous consistency. Apply the mask to the face for 10-15 minutes.
- Rejuvenating mask. Used by women with dry skin. In a container mix honey, rice flour, cosmetic oil and cream until smooth. After which the mask is applied to the face. Wash off with warm water after it dries.
- Facial and body scrub. Rice flour, preferably not finely ground, mixed with cool water and cosmetic oil. Scrub the skin with massaging movements. If the skin is oily add lemon juice to the ingredients when mixing.
- Moisturizing mask. Mix boiled rice at room temperature with honey. Give the composition to a mashed state. You can use a spoon or blender. Add a little warm milk. Apply the mask to the face for half an hour.
- Rice ice compress. Boil rice over low heat. Strain the broth, pour it into ice molds and put it in the freezer. Such compresses help to cope with swelling, toning the skin, giving it a fresh and rested look.
- Mask based on green tea. Grind green tea into a powder. A grinder is better. Mix with rice broth. Such a mask to apply to the face for 20-30 minutes.
- Tonic. Soak red rice for 20-24 hours. All the useful microelements will be preserved, because the cereals are not subjected to heat treatment. Use the water when washing your face. It not only tones the skin, but also gives an even tone. Keep the tonic in a cool place for a maximum of three days.
- Mask with the addition of vitamin C. Boil red rice and grind it. Next, mix it with yogurt and bran. To the mass add one crushed tablet of vitamin C. Apply the mask on your face for 15 minutes in a thick layer. To enhance the effectiveness, cover the face with a napkin, thus creating a kind of microclimate.
- Hair mask. 3 tbsp. Spoons of cereal pour 1 liter of cold water. Put the container on the fire and boil for 10 minutes. Strain the liquid. Decoction is ready, now you can rinse your hair with it. It is better to do this before using shampoo.
Masks based on red rice should not be done daily. It is better to maintain an interval of 2-3 days.
Harms and contraindications
Red rice is a valuable grain and has few contraindications.
- It is worth to refrain from red rice during exacerbation of intestinal and stomach diseases.
- If consumed in large quantities, constipation and digestive problems may occur.
- Grains are capable of accumulating arsenic in the fertilizer. It is important to buy rice only from proven places.
- Individual intolerance is a contraindication to the use of this product.
How to choose and store red rice
You can see different brands of rice on store shelves. But you shouldn't be guided only by this. There are some tips to help you choose the best rice.
- It is better to choose unpolished rather than lightly polished. This ensures the preservation of all the useful elements.
- The richer the red color, the better, because it indicates a large amount of anthocyanins.
- If the rice is of high quality, the label will necessarily indicate the country where it was grown.
- It is better to buy 100% whole grain rice.
- Rice has a shelf life of a year to a year and a half. Despite the shelf life, rice, which is already half a year, before cooking it should be calcined in a pan.
There are a few rules for storing red rice:
- The storage place should be warm and dry. The storage temperature is 5 to 15 degrees, with a humidity of 60 to 70%.
- Rice should not be stored in bags. Then there will be no airing, and the grain will not smell good, even after the heat treatment.
- It is better to store grains in cloth bags or in containers with a tight-fitting lid. Rice should be accompanied by a bag of salt, which will prevent the possibility of sprouting.
- You should also leave a clove of garlic in the place where the grain is stored. It will repel the fly and other insects, from which it is difficult to get rid of. So it is better to avoid this.
- Cooked rice is stored in a cool place no more than 3 days. The container with the grain must be closed, so as not to mix flavors.
- After cooking the rice for more than 2 hours can not be left at a temperature of +5 to +20 degrees.
How to cook red rice properly
Recipe for crumbly porridge
If everything is done correctly, the rice will turn out crumbly. Because the variety itself is such that clumps only rarely.
Recommendations for cooking:
- Water and rice should be in a 2/1 ratio.
- The water has to boil before the rice is added.
- Cook the grains on low heat. It is better not to open the lid often.
- At the very end, after turning off the stove, leave the rice for a couple of minutes under a closed lid and do not touch it. In this way, it is well stewed.
Grain can be cooked not only in the traditional way on the stove, but also in other ways:
- Microwave. Put the rice in a microwave oven dish. Add water, salt and oil. The first 5-6 minutes cook the rice on maximum mode. Stir everything afterwards, cover and cook for 15-17 minutes. Select a weaker mode. Do not remove the door right away, so that the rice gets well steamed.
- Multicooker. Pour oil in first, and sprinkle the groats on top. Sprinkle everything with spices and salt. Pour the water twice as much as the rice. After closing the multicooker, select the appropriate mode. Red rice will cook for 25 minutes. In this case, you should also not open the lid after the time.
- Steamer. Pour clean, unadulterated water into the bottom. Pour the rice into a special container and steam for the first 5 minutes without water. Next add water in the same amount as the rice. Cooking will take 40 minutes.
- Aerogrill. Pour the cereals in a special container, which is pre-lubricated with oil. You can use any oil: butter, vegetable oil, olive oil, etc. Pour hot boiled water over the rice and season with salt and spices. Put it into air-cooker for 45 minutes. Set the temperature to 250-260 degrees. It should be well ventilated. It is best to serve the porridge hot.
Important cooking details:
- It is better to soak the rice beforehand to ensure safety. In the water will remain all the accumulated arsenic.
- Cook any rice in a 2/1 ratio, where 2 is water.
- Before cooking, it's best to sort through the grains to remove any husks that get caught.
What to eat red rice with
A variety of dishes are prepared with red rice: soups, salads, porridges, etc. This grain can be combined with absolutely different foods. For example:
- Red rice paella;
- Red rice with pork and green peas;
- Bell peppers stuffed with chicken and red rice;
- Red rice with artichokes and cardamom;
- red rice with barberries and pistachios;
- squid stuffed with red rice.
And there are a lot of recipes of this kind, which helps to diversify your menu.
Interesting facts about rice
- Rice is a grain that loves moisture. Therefore, sprouts can appear directly in the water.
- The stems of the plant grow up to 1.5 meters.
- Back in the 19th century, the cereal had the name "Saracen grain".
- Rice began to be sown as early as 9,000 years ago. It was one of the first crops that people domesticated.
- The grain is used to make starch, oil, and flour.
- Every nation has at least one traditional dish based on rice.
- In Islamic countries there is a measure that is equal to the weight of rice grains.
- Rice straw is used to make paper and cardboard.
- This grain is used in some countries to make alcoholic beverages.
- In Asian countries, rice is a symbol of wealth and abundance.
- About 60-70% of the world's population eat rice.
- People around the world eat about 700 million tons of grain in a year. To ensure this supply, about 1 billion people work with rice.
- In some countries, rice is used as jewelry. Craftsmen draw on the grains. The handiwork is extremely highly valued.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only for information purposes only. Before applying any recommendations, please consult with a specialist. specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors are liable for any possible harm caused by materials."