Corn: composition, useful properties and contraindications
Corn is loved by almost everyone. It is not only tasty and juicy, but also very nutritious and useful. This is a treasure trove of vitamins and minerals. Not for nothing it was called the queen of the field. But not everyone knows that corn has many varieties. In Russia alone, 500 species of this crop are known. They differ from each other in color, appearance, taste, maturity and other parameters. We can not consider all types of this cereal, so we will focus only on the most common.
- Types and varieties of corn
- Sugar variety
- Waxy variety
- Bursting variety
- Starchy variety
- Siliceous variety
- Toothy variety
- What is the difference between feed corn and food corn
- Composition and Calories
- What is Corn Good for
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- For breastfeeding
- For children
- Can I Eat Corn to Lose Weight
- The benefits and harms of boiled corn
- How to cook corn
- What kind of corn is healthier: raw or boiled?
- Is canned corn useful?
- How to can
- Corn oil useful properties
- Corn in medicine
- For Diabetes
- For pancreatitis
- For gastritis
- For bowel
- For constipation
- For gout
- For colitis
- For the liver
- For hemorrhoids
- For cholecystitis
- Corn in cosmetology
- For Face
- For Hair
- Harm and Contraindications
- How to Choose and Store Corn
- Can I Freeze it
- How to Eat Corn
- How to peel corn from corn kernels
- How much can I eat per day?
- Can I Eat Corn at Night and on an empty stomach?
- What can be made of sweet corn: Recipes
- Baked Corn in the Oven
- Corn with tomatoes and rice
- Fish Salad with Corn
- Tinned corn pancakes
- Corn with onions and beets
- Can we give animals corn
- Interesting Facts about Corn
Corn varieties and types
The most common species, which has several other names: dairy, sweet. The distinguishing feature of sugar corn is the high percentage of sugar.
Important! The cob of this variety should be harvested before it is fully ripe and try to boil it immediately. Otherwise, when it will lie for some time, the sugar may turn into starch. Then it will be impossible to use the cob as food.
The milk cereal is used:
- for food;
- for canning;
- for freezing;
- for processing into starch, flour.
This is not the most common type, but it is very popular with the Chinese, can be of different shapes and colors. The peculiarity of this crop is the appearance of the grain. It is covered with a double layer resembling wax.
The main purpose of waxy maize: production of starch and alcohol.
This species comes in a variety of shapes and colors. The coloring can be the usual yellow as well as red and even blue. A distinction is made between rice and pearl types. The rice cob has a pointed end, while the pearl cob is rounded. A feature of bursting corn is its high percentage of protein compounds.
The main uses are:
- Production of popcorn and air flakes;
- flour production;
- cereal production.
It has several names at once: floury and soft. A distinctive feature of this species is the large amount of soft starch, up to almost 80%. The cob is thin with large grains. There is practically no protein in this variety. Grain matures late, but manages to achieve sufficient growth and an abundant mass of green.
Its main uses are in the production of flour and alcohol.
Has another name - Indian. The peculiarity of this species is the high percentage of starch, and in solid form. The crop is hardy, quickly matures, high yielding.
The main uses are:
- consumption for food;
- flake production;
- cereal production.
The corn gets its name because of its appearance, as the mature large grains are tooth-shaped. The species is characterized by hardiness, high yields. The plant is tall, stable and quite strong.
Worth knowing! In some countries, this type is considered the most profitable for economic reasons, because in addition to the harvested grains, you can get a significant amount of silage.
The main uses are:
- Production of flour, grains, and starch;
- food use;
- alcohol production;
- feed for livestock.
What is the difference between feed corn and food corn
Corn can be either feed or food corn. What is the difference between them? Sugar maize ripens at the beginning of the summer season. Such a variety is called a food variety. It has a delicate and sweet taste. It is enough to cook the cob for about 20 minutes. And in mid-summer, the fodder crop ripens. It can also be used as food, but it will take much longer to boil. It is not as sweet as food, but also tasty.
In stores in midsummer, you can find two kinds of corn at once: feed and food corn. How can you tell them apart?
- By their appearance. Forage corn can have a cob length of up to 25 centimeters, while food corn has a maximum of 15 centimeters.
- By Grain. The fodder crop has dry grains that taste like grass. Their color is dark yellow. Sugar food corn has pale yellow kernels. They will taste sweet.
- Touch. If you take a food maize kernel and press it down, it will be firm and juice will spurt out of it as the shell will quickly become damaged. Food grains will be harder. If you crush it with your fingers, the juice will not splash out, but the starchy liquid will come out.
Composition and calories
Corn can be safely attributed to dietary products, as the caloric value is 86 kcal. But this is in raw corn. Depending on the method of cooking, the energy value of maize can vary. Let's take a rough calculation per 100 g of the crop and see the results:
- raw - 86 kcal:
- fried or grilled - 441 kcal;
- popcorn - 325 kcal;
- boiled - 123 kcal;
- steamed - 131 kcal;
- tinned - 119 kcal.
Corn kernel is a treasure trove of nutrients, minerals and vitamins necessary for human health. The product contains sufficient amounts of:
- selenium, etc.
The corn crop contains many vitamins of different groups, including B, A, PP, D and E. The protein contained in the grain crop contains amino acids such as tryptophan and even lysine. Corn contains the following vitamins:
- choline and others.
The value of the corn crop is due to the fact that all its substances and trace elements are quickly absorbed by the body. Maize is especially useful for women, as it has a positive effect on the activity of the reproductive system.
What is the Use of Corn
Corn kernels are useful for all people, without exception, as a source of a sufficient number of necessary and important for human healing elements.
The main useful properties of the crop are:
- perfectly cleanses the body and thoroughly removes harmful toxins;
- gets rid of constipation;
- It has a positive effect on the gastrointestinal tract;
- Has choleretic properties;
- It helps to improve memory;
- has a beneficial effect on the nervous system, nourishing the cells;
- It helps to form muscle fibers, etc.
Corn is recommended to people suffering from obesity. It is also useful for people with diabetes, can help with liver pathologies, gout, nephritis.
Worth knowing! Regular consumption of boiled or fresh corn will reduce the risk of the possibility of developing cancer. Corn stigmas can normalize kidney function, and the oil will improve the function of the gallbladder.
Corn is recommended for both adults and children. It will be especially valuable for the elderly, as it can boost the immune system and slow down aging. The antioxidant composition of maize regenerates cells, which is especially important for the elderly. In addition, corn will slow down the development of atherosclerosis and improve memory. Due to the sufficient amount of vitamin A in the product, the grain crop will be useful for people with poor eyesight.
As mentioned above, corn has a beneficial effect on the female body. Let's consider just some of the most important reasons.
- The product improves the condition of hair, nails and skin. The elements contained in maize slow down the aging process and actively fight free radicals. Daily consumption of the product will be an excellent way to prevent the emergence or development of malignant tumors.
- The crop is able to saturate the body with all the necessary vitamins, trace elements and minerals, so it can reduce appetite and make a woman's diet balanced. It will provide the necessary assimilation of carbohydrates, proteins and fats, as well as normalize the gastrointestinal tract. This is the reason why nutritionists advise women to eat corn in order to feel in great shape, to have always a slender figure and not to gain extra pounds.
- Corn has a beneficial effect on the reproductive system, as it normalizes the production of hormones. It reduces pain during menstruation and helps women to cope with unpleasant symptoms that can occur during menopause.
- Juicy cereal not only calms the nervous system, but also lifts the mood, and helps to combat tension, neuroses and stress, and normalizes sleep.
For the stronger sex, maize will be no less useful. Let's list a few reasons.
- Corn helps to solve problems with reproductive function. It is recommended for men who have problems with potency.
- There is a sufficient amount of protein in corn kernels, so maize will be indispensable for maintaining muscle tissue.
- It is known that the stronger sex after 40 years of age has a high risk of developing heart and vascular diseases. Since the composition of maize contains magnesium, potassium and calcium, the regular consumption of culture will reduce the risk and strengthen not only the walls of blood vessels, but also the heart muscles.
- Thanks to choline, the product is able to clean the blood vessels and reduce cholesterol levels.
Experts advise future mothers to eat corn in moderate quantities. This cereal:
- Saturate the body with all the necessary and important substances for the human body, which is so necessary for women during pregnancy.
- It has immunostimulatory properties.
- Balances the diet.
- Normalizes the function of the gall bladder, kidneys, gastrointestinal tract, liver.
- It fights avitaminosis and anemia.
- It removes unnecessary fluid from the body and cleans it of toxins.
- It has a diuretic effect.
- Helps with morning sickness and relieves edema.
As with pregnant women, women during lactation will benefit from maize. It can be safely introduced into your diet and do not fear that it can harm the baby.
- It helps in the production of milk and increases not only the quantity but also its quality.
- Improves immunity.
- Saturates the body with all the important valuable elements for a breastfeeding mother.
Important! Despite all the positive aspects of culture, you should not abuse the product! Eat it in moderation and in small doses.
Corn for a child is necessary, as well as an adult. His developing body needs to replenish the supply of useful elements. Almost all meals made of corn cereal will be good for your baby. Already from the age of 8 months you can make porridge for him and give him a taste. But from the age of three it is allowed to give boiled corn. But do not forget about moderation!
Children love corn sticks, but good from them, as well as from cereal, little. Try to prepare interesting dishes from natural grains and feed them to your baby.
Worth knowing! If you decide to include cereal in the diet of your child, you should not give them for breakfast. It is better if you prepare cereal with kefir or yogurt and give him to eat for a second breakfast or between lunch and dinner.
Can you eat corn while losing weight?
To prove that maize refers to dietary products, you can dwell on the following arguments:
- It is a low-calorie product - no more than 100 kcal per 100 g.
- It quickly relieves the feeling of hunger and satiates the body with substances necessary for human life.
- Corn improves the digestive system and speeds up metabolic processes.
- Maize is an excellent cleaner of harmful toxins and other compounds.
Is boiled corn suitable for weight loss
Since the raw cob is almost not eaten, the best option would be steamed corn. Boiled maize loses some of its valuable substances, so it is best to steam cook it when losing weight. It should be eaten without adding salt, much less oil. You can cook corn porridge with water.
Is canned corn good for losing weight?
Canned product, if it was not subjected to heat treatment, will be suitable for the diet. It is important to choose the right canned corn, so that it has no artificial additives, with an acceptable shelf life.
Can I eat corn for dinner while losing weight?
Cooked cob can replace dinner, so it is not forbidden to eat it before going to bed. But you should not overdo it and eat more than 2 pieces.
Corn is really useful for weight loss, as it is a low-calorie and nutritious product. It will not only satiate the body, but also reduce the appetite.
The benefits and harms of boiled corn
About the usefulness of cooked maize can be talked about endlessly. But we will highlight only the main advantages of the product. Regular consumption of cooked corn improves the work of the heart muscle, helps to cope with stressful situations and nervous tension, strengthens the immune system. Not only healthy people, but also sick people suffering from diabetes, hypertension, etc. can benefit from corn. Since cooked maize has diuretic and choleretic properties, it is easy to cope with edema and cleanse the body with its help.
But it should not be consumed by people who have:
- poor blood clotting;
- susceptibility to thrombosis;
- poor appetite;
- exacerbation of stomach ulcers.
How to boil corn
Boil the maize cob in the usual way, adding a small amount of butter to the water. You will get an appetizing and healthy treat. But it is better to cook a steamed product in order to preserve all the valuable substances contained in the cereal. Cook the fresh cob for no more than half an hour, sometimes even 15 minutes is enough.
When a not quite fresh cob is bought, the cooking time may take 2.5 hours. Do not add salt to the boiling water, so as not to make the cob stiff. It is better to salt to taste the already cooked product.
Which corn is healthier: raw or boiled
There is no doubt that the fresh raw cob contains the maximum number of valuable elements, but not everyone will dare to eat it in this form. The raw cob has a peculiar taste and is not to everyone's liking.
Boiled product is delicious, but during cooking it loses almost 30% of useful substances and vitamins. The main valuable elements are still preserved, so the corn will not do any harm, on the contrary, it will saturate the body and enrich it with important for human life valuable elements.
Is canned corn useful?
Maize in canned form is as useful as boiled. The statement that in canning the product is subjected to special processing, because of which all the useful qualities and properties are destroyed, is not true. With corn this does not happen, and the number of useful minerals, trace elements and vitamins remains almost the same, and the concentration of sodium, despite everything, increases.
How to Preserve
For canning maize at home, we will need:
- water - 1 l;
- salt - 1 tbsp;
- sugar - 3 tablespoons;
- Corn cobs - 8 pieces.
- Rinse and peel the corn.
- Boil water and immerse the cobs in it for 2 minutes and immediately pour cold plain water over them.
- Separate the kernels and wash them again. Then we put them for 2 minutes in boiling water.
- Sterilize jars and fill them by half or 2/3 with grains.
- Pour water into a separate pan, add sugar and salt. We put on the fire and bring to a boil. The main thing is to dissolve all sugar grains.
- Pour hot marinade and cover jars with lids.
- Put jars to sterilize in boiling water for 3 hours.
- Roll up the jars, turn them over on their lids and let them cool.
In the same way you can pick up whole cobs.
Useful properties of corn oil
The oil is obtained by pressing the corn seeds. It contains a sufficient amount of E-vitamin, so it is successfully used in cosmetology. It is a natural product that has a beneficial effect on the work of many body systems.
Due to its content of various acids, the oil is able to restore and activate metabolic processes and regulate cholesterol levels. It is useful for diabetics because it normalizes glucose levels. It can be consumed not only in food, but also to make from it various masks for skin and hair. It relieves allergic rashes, treats psoriasis and other rashes on the skin surface.
Thanks to the lanolinic acid contained in the product, you can use it to fight a variety of diseases. Experts recommend using it regularly for people suffering from headaches, insomnia, asthma.
The product perfectly heals wounds and cracks, has many other positive properties.
Corn in medicine
In case of diabetes mellitus.
Diabetics not only can, but also need to use maize. This is a useful cereal that can normalize sugar levels. But it is important to understand that beforehand it is necessary to consult with the attending physician.
With regular consumption of cereals, the body is saturated with folic acid, bile is liquefied and eliminated from the body, and kidney function is improved.
Important: The glycemic index of corn is 70 units.
Patients with pancreatitis are allowed corn, but in moderate quantities. In the period of exacerbation, the product is strictly forbidden to the patient. It is allowed to enter the diet of corn porridge, and that in small portions. If we talk about grains, popcorn or corn sticks, such products should be completely excluded from their diet.
If you have gastritis
Can I eat maize with gastritis? It is not forbidden, but the question is debatable. It is clear that in the period of exacerbation this product should be excluded. Specialists may allow the consumption of corn kernels, because they contain a sufficient number of valuable elements. Corn, thanks to protein compounds and carbohydrates, can replace meat products. And this will give the patient the opportunity to relieve his stomach a little and create favorable conditions for his rehabilitation.
For the intestines
Here is where corn will undoubtedly be useful. It not only cleanses the organ, but also helps to eliminate diarrhea. The product has a sufficient amount of fiber, whose fibers are not processed in the stomach, but go directly into the intestines. There they swell up and speed up the process of food elimination.
In case of problems with stools, it is necessary to take corn. It normalizes the work of the large intestine and helps to cope with the problem. The mechanism is quite simple. Maize grains cleanse and normalize the activity of the digestive system, due to which the metabolic processes in the body are accelerated. To achieve the desired result, it is important to follow some rules of corn consumption:
- take in the morning time of the day;
- It is desirable to dilute maize grains with oil;
- Use only fresh cobs in food.
Medical experts have different opinions on this issue. Despite all the usefulness of the grain, corn can cause undesirable effects in gout. But there is no strict prohibition on the part of specialists. If there is no individual intolerance to the product, the use of maize is allowed.
Medics allow the use of corn for patients with colitis, but only in the form of porridge. The porridge will be a good source of carbohydrates and will help the patient to eliminate constipation. It is desirable to take the product 2 hours before the main meal. But the amount of cereal consumed is limited. If a healthy person can eat up to 200 g of the product per day, a sick person needs only 2 spoonfuls.
For the liver
Since corn has diuretic and choleretic properties, it is recommended to use in moderate doses to patients suffering from pathologies of the liver and biliary tract.
Hemorrhoidal nodes usually appear in people who constantly suffer from constipation. Therefore, with this disease, it is very important to follow a diet and lead a proper lifestyle.
Corn with hemorrhoids is recommended by medics, as it can cleanse the body and eliminate constipation.
Maize is useful not only grains, but also oils. They contain a large amount of important non-fatty acids, which have a beneficial effect on metabolic processes. This is very important in cholecystitis, so patients are recommended to regularly consume corn for prevention.
Corn in cosmetology
Maize is a unique cereal plant that has found its application in many areas: dietetics, traditional medicine, cooking, cosmetology, etc. Since the culture is rich in various oils, resins and acids, it has been used to make creams, scrubs and masks. The peculiarity of the prepared preparations is that they are rich in vitamin E, minerals and other valuable elements that our skin needs.
As the main ingredient for making masks at home, women use maize flour or grits. Flour is rich in fiber, protein and carbohydrate compounds, vegetable fats and other enzymes. It has a full range of vitamins necessary for the skin, such as C, group B, E, PP and others, and it also has beta-carotene. Let's look at a few recipes that can be easily applied at home.
For the face
We will need:
- whey or cottage cheese - 1 tbsp;
- Corn flour - 1 tbsp. spoonful;
- honey (liquid) - 1 tsp;
- crushed table salt or sea salt - 0.5 tsp;
- olive oil - 1 tsp.
- Combine all the ingredients and mix them thoroughly. It should be a homogeneous mass without lumps.
- Clean the face beforehand and apply the mixture to the face and neck.
- Hold for half an hour, then remove the mask with a napkin. Rinse the face and neck and apply a nourishing cream.
To achieve the desired effect will require about 10 sessions. It is necessary to observe the periodicity and use a similar mask twice a week, no more.
We will need:
- maize flour (corn) - 1 tbsp;
- Honey (liquid) - 2 tbsp.
- Thoroughly mix all the ingredients and apply to the skin, massaging the face. Pay special attention to problem areas.
- Leave the composition for 10 minutes, it may be a little longer, but no more than 15 minutes.
- Wash off the composition with warm water. Such a mask gently cleanses the skin and nourishes it.
If the skin is problematic, it will be enough to add a few drops of essential oil. It can be lavender, rosemary or tea tree.
We will need:
- maize flour (corn flour) - 1 tbsp;
- white clay (cosmetic) - 1 tbsp;
- green tea - 2 tablespoons;
- lemon juice (freshly squeezed) - 1 tsp.
- First, we mix the clay with flour, and then we add the tea and lemon juice. If your skin is dry, you can leave out the lemon juice. Instead, add yogurt without preservatives and sweeteners.
- All thoroughly mix and apply on the face for about 20 minutes.
- Wash off the mask with warm water, and then apply moisturizing cream or milk to the skin.
We will need:
- milk - 1 cup;
- Corn flour - 2 tablespoons;
- essential oil (argan oil, rosemary oil, lavender oil or tea tree oil will do) - 2 drops.
- Mix all the ingredients and pour the resulting composition into a saucepan. Place on a low heat.
- While heating the solution constantly stir to form a homogeneous mass. As soon as you get the consistency of sour cream, then immediately remove from the fire.
- Let the mixture cool and apply it to clean and dry hair vertically, using a brush. The mask can harden, so it is necessary to apply it as quickly as possible.
- Then we wrap the hair in cling film or put a normal plastic cap. On top of the head wrap a towel.
- Sustain for an hour and rinse with a little warm water.
Such a mask can be done two times in 7 days.
We will need:
- Corn kernels - 5 tsp;
- olive oil - 1 tsp;
- Egg - 1 piece.
- In a blender grind the grains.
- In the resulting mixture add the egg and oil. Mix thoroughly.
- Apply to wet hair, starting from the roots.
- Wrap the hair in plastic wrap and cover the head with a towel.
- Sustain for 30 minutes and wash off with a little warm water.
We will need:
- onion - 1 bulb;
- honey (liquid) - 30 grams;
- corn oil - 20 grams.
- Peel the onion from the husk and grate on a grater with fine teeth.
- In the onion puree add oil and honey and mix everything thoroughly.
- Apply the resulting composition to the hair, starting from the roots.
- Wrap the hair first with foil and then with a towel.
- Sustain for 30 minutes and rinse with cool or slightly warm water.
Harms and contraindications
Maize has virtually no contraindications, but there are cases when it is necessary to refuse a favorite delicacy. It is not worth abusing or eliminating corn from your diet altogether for people who are observed to have:
- Individual intolerance to the product;
- peptic ulcer disease;
- varicose veins;
- increased blood clotting;
- tendency to allergies;
- poor appetite.
And you should not forget about moderation. Corn can cause flatulence if it is abused. And those people who are prescribed a special diet, it is mandatory to consult with a doctor, whether it is possible to include the cereal plant in their diet.
How to Choose and Store Corn
In order that you could not be deceived in the store and "slip" instead of food corn feed, you need to know a few rules of choice.
- Shape. Remember that a feed cob will have a much longer cob. If you see an oblong shape larger than 15 cm, you should not pay attention to it. Just walk past it. Of course, it is also suitable for eating, but it will have to be boiled for a long time, and the result will not be a very tasty product. It will not be sweet and juicy. Choose cobs no longer than 15 cm. Juicy sugar maize looks like a barrel. This is the kind of cob that will be flavorful, rich and juicy after cooking.
- Grains. The fodder crop has brightly colored grains, sometimes even with an orange color. We need to choose grains of pale yellow color. If possible, you can pick one grain and taste it. Fresh food maize will be juicy and sweet, while forage grains will taste like grass.
- Ripeness. This is no small detail. A ripe corn has a cob, where the kernels are tightly attached to each other. They should be firm. Kernels that have lost their juice will have depressions, and their skin resembles wax.
On the cobs you should pick ones that are firm, have no indentations, are pale yellow in color, and are tightly attached to one another. Then you won't make a mistake and buy ripe juicy sugar corn!
Maize can be stored in different ways. The terms will depend on this. The cob can be frozen, canned, dried, or left fresh and stored in the refrigerator. It is possible to separate the grains, put them in a special container and store them that way. The hostess chooses which variant suits her best. The time for keeping the cobs in the refrigerator is not more than 3 weeks. The sweetest fresh varieties will be best preserved.
The longest preserved product, canned in a glass jar. The period is 3 years. If we talk about canning in a metal jar, the term is no more than 2 years.
Can you freeze it
It is possible to freeze maize, and it is in the freezer the storage period will increase to one year. For this purpose, it is best to cut the grains and place them in a bag or container.
Important! To corn in the freezer has not lost its taste qualities, it should be properly prepared.
To begin with the cob should be well cleaned of fibers, remove the leaves, remove damaged kernels. Cut off the tip of the cob. Then rinse with water. Prepare a container of cold water and add ice. Pour water into another container and bring it to the boil.
First dip the cob for 2 minutes in boiling water and then put it into a bowl with ice water. Repeat it 4 times. Then spread the cabbage to dry on paper towels. After drying, wrap the heads in cling film and put them in the freezer.
Prepare the seeds in the same way for storing in the freezer.
How to Eat Corn
Usually the corn on the cob is boiled first, and then eaten. In this case the seeds are not separated. But sometimes it is necessary to do it.
How to peel the corn from the kernels
Separate the kernels is better with a knife.
- Boil the cob and cool it to room temperature.
- We put a wide container in front of us.
- We take the cob in the hand and carefully with the sharp end of the knife begin to forge out the rows of kernels. You can manually separate each kernel, but it will take a long time.
How much you can eat per day
Boiled maize is quite caloric, so it is not recommended to eat a lot of it. There are almost 320 kcal per 100 g of cooked product, which is enough. Experts say that you should not take more than 300 grams of corn kernels a day. Then and the figure will be preserved, and the body itself will be enriched with all the necessary healing substances.
Is it possible to eat at night and on an empty stomach?
There are no bans on this matter. Only it is worth remembering that the cooked product is caloric, which means that it can completely replace a full dinner. One cauldron is enough to satisfy hunger. It is desirable to eat maize 3 hours before bedtime.
What can be cooked from corn: recipes
Maize is a unique product. A lot of tasty and healthy dishes can be prepared from it.
Baked corn in the oven
We will need:
- corn - 4 cobs;
- butter - 50 gr;
- salt - 0,5 tsp.
- Peel fresh cauliflower corn from fibers and leaves.
- Cut the butter into slices.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.
- Rub the cob with butter and salt.
- Put the cauliflower on foil and wrap up tightly.
- Put it in the oven for 20 minutes.
- After cooking, let the cob cool in foil.
Everything is ready, enjoy your meal!
Corn with tomatoes and rice
We will need:
- canned corn - 1 jar;
- Tomatoes - 0,5 kg;
- Onions - 2 bulbs;
- rice - 250 gr;
- Hard cheese - 100 gr;
- butter - 80 gr;
- parsley, salt and pepper - at the discretion of the hostess.
- Boil the rice. The water must be salted.
- Onion randomly, but finely chop.
- Tomatoes are cut into cubes.
- Corn free from liquid in a jar.
- Grate the cheese. Grate should be a grater with large teeth.
- Finely chop parsley.
- Boiled rice fry in oil. Add tomatoes, then onion and corn. All stew over low heat for 7 minutes.
- Pepper the stewed vegetables, salt them and add the cheese. Leave to stew for a few more minutes. Remove from the fire and serve, sprinkling the ready dish with parsley.
Fish salad with corn
We will need:
- canned beans (white) - 400 g;
- Sprats - 150 gr (1 jar);
- corn (tinned) - 170 gr (1 jar);
- hard cheese - 100 g;
- mayonnaise - 2 tablespoons;
- white bread - 100 g;
- salt - pinch;
- Greens for decoration.
- Dice the bread, salt a little and send it to the oven to make breadcrumbs. It is not necessary to roast them strongly, the main thing is that they were not soft. Croutons can be cooked in the microwave. They may be quicker.
- Take beans and corn and free the liquid from the cans.
- Knead the sprats. You can do it with a fork. Drain the oil from the can beforehand.
- Chop parsley and other greens, if available. The sprigs can be left for decoration.
- Cut the cheese into small cubes or grate it. Grate should be with coarse teeth.
- Prepared ingredients are sent to a container and mix.
- Add mayonnaise.
Salad with corn, beans and sprats ready! Before serving, you can decorate it with the rest of the greens and add some croutons on top.
Canned corn fritters
We will need:
- milk - 50 g;
- flour - half a cup;
- one egg - 1 pc;
- Canned corn - 180 gr (1 jar);
- vegetable oil - 4 tablespoons;
- green onions - 4 quills;
- parsley, salt and pepper - at the discretion of the hostess.
- In a separate container, beat the egg and add milk. Everything is mixed and salted.
- Add flour and knead the dough. The mass should be homogeneous, without lumps.
- Corn free from liquid in a jar and add to the dough.
- Chop the green onions and parsley and add them to the dough. If you like, you can add some pepper.
- Heat a frying pan, pour the oil.
- Start frying the pancakes on both sides, so that a crispy crust appears. So they will look more appetizing.
For many people, this dish will be a real discovery! It is not only very delicious and beautiful, but also healthy! Bon appetit!
Corn with onions and beets
We will need:
- red onions - 100 grams;
- Garlic - 1 head;
- Canned corn - 300 gr;
- beet - 300 g;
- vegetable oil - 40 ml;
- Salt, pepper and herbs - as you wish.
- Boil the beets for 40 minutes, drain the water and wait until they cool.
- Onion is cut into rings, you can cut it into half rings.
- Grate or finely chop the garlic.
- Once beets are cooled, peel them and cut into small cubes.
- Shred greens.
- Mix all the prepared ingredients in a separate container and mix.
- Corn free from the marinade from the can and send it to the bowl. Stir again.
- Fill everything with oil. Salt and pepper it if you want. Stir. Before serving, you can decorate the salad with greens.
Can I Give Corn to Animals
If in the human body maize is easily digested, the pet may have problems. Before you start feeding him corn, first monitor his reaction by giving him a small portion to start with. The cereal plant contains a lot of starch and carbohydrates, which may not be absorbed by the pet's body.
Good to know:
- Popcorn is prepared with a special pretreatment. It certainly will not do any good.
- Consumption of maize may cause bloating and indigestion in the animal.
- Particles of grain can damage not only the pet's teeth, but also the jaw. This can cause various inflammations.
- And corn sticks and corn flakes contain enough sugar, which can negatively affect their eyesight.
Whether you should give your pet corn is up to the owner to decide.
Interesting Corn Facts
- The Indians and Mexicans consider corn to be a staple food. It was first cultivated in Mexico. Europeans were able to get acquainted with the cereal plant thanks to Columbus. Russia learned about maize only at the beginning of the 17th century.
- The plant that we call corn has its second name - maize. That is how it is called in all countries.
- We are used to the fact that the cereal plant has grains of yellow color. But they come in different shades - black, blue, white, red, multicolored and even striped.
- Corn can reach 7 m in height, although it is an annual plant. 7 m is the height of a two-story building.
- Most corn is consumed by Mexicans. Statistically, there are 90 kilograms per year per Mexican. They are followed by the Americans - 40 kg per person, then the Indians - 4 kg per "brother.
- Maize contains a sufficient amount of sugar. It is known that 4 buckets of cooked fresh corn kernels can sweeten 400 hundred bottles of Coca-Cola. If the cob is left unattended for 5 hours, half of the sugar will escape.
- According to archaeologists, popcorn was first invented by Indians. They gathered maize kernels, buried them in the sand, and built a fire nearby. As soon as the kernels heated up, they began to explode. The Indians would catch such balls and eat them.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only. for informational purposes only. Please consult with a health care professional before using any of our recommendations. specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."