Corn flour: useful properties and contraindications
Corn flour is ground into powdered grains of sweet corn. The absence of gluten compared to wheat flour provides an opportunity to use it for people suffering from gluten intolerance. Corn kernel flour is considered a versatile product for the preparation of various dishes of the national cuisine, because the combination of taste and benefits are the main positive qualities. The useful properties of the product became the basis for its development around the world.
- Types of corn flour
- What is the difference between cornstarch and cornmeal
- Composition and calories
- What is the usefulness of cornmeal
- The benefits of corn flour for breastfeeding
- Corn flour for weight loss
- Corn flour in medicine
- For Diabetes Mellitus
- For pancreatitis
- Corn flour in cosmetology
- For Face
- For Hair
- How Corn Flour is Better than Wheat Flour
- Harm and Contraindications
- How to Make Corn Flour at Home
- What can be made from corn flour
- How to choose and store maize flour
- Corn Flour Facts and Figures of Interest
Types of Corn Flour
Corn flour is sold today in a wide range of products. Products are classified according to species, as breeders are constantly creating new varieties to end up with better flavor and quality flour. There are several criteria by which flour is divided into certain grades.
Depending on the method of grinding
- Coarse grinding. Corn kernels are ground using large millstones, so the final product becomes non-uniform in structure. An important property is considered that coarse ground corn flour is a dietary product with many positive properties in terms of taste and overall benefits.
- Medium grind. This kind of flour is in demand for baking, particularly for bread and rolls.
- Fine grinding. This product is obtained through the use of modern equipment based on metal millstones for the possibility of obtaining gentle and soft raw materials. Such flour is suitable for soft dough and the preparation of various puddings.
Depending on the color of the corn kernels
- Blue. A bluish and slightly purple hue is obtained through the use of a special variety of sweet corn.
- Red. The more intense and pronounced taste interested Italians, so they actively use this type of flour to make polenta.
- Yellow. This is the most common type of corn flour, which is popular literally all over the world due to its outstanding quality, taste and nutritional value. It is actively used in the preparation of baked goods of various kinds.
- White. White corn is used for cooking, so it provides a special taste and nutritional value. This product is popular in Africa and the southern United States.
Each type of cornmeal has its own positive qualities and peculiarities of use, so special attention to detail is required, as this is the only way to choose the most appropriate option. Naturalness, nutritional value and usefulness are the key positive properties.
Important! Corn flour, depending on the type, has its own caloric value and the ratio of fats, proteins and carbohydrates.
What is the difference between cornstarch and cornmeal
There is a common misconception that cornmeal and starch are the same type of product, as the difference is only in the method of production. But in fact they are different products with distinctive taste and appearance, so special attention to detail is required to make the right choice later on.
The main difference is that cornmeal is created by grinding the grains to produce a powder of different appearance and structure, depending on the technology of production. But the starch is a kind of extract from the corn kernels, so it has a high concentration of useful vitamins and minerals. Another important quality is that 72% of flour consists of carbohydrates, while almost 100% of starch is considered to be high-carbohydrate, so it is not recommended for weight loss or a balanced diet. In some situations, you can replace the starch with flour and vice versa, but it is important to consider the structure of the product and its taste.
Composition and calories
Corn flour refers to useful carbohydrates, so even with a properly balanced diet is allowed to use it for cooking a variety of baked goods. The chemical composition of the product includes important vitamin components:
- B vitamins;
- choline, which refers to vitamin-like substances;
- ascorbic acid;
- vitamins of group K;
- nicotinic acid.
There are also more than 10 elements of the Mendeleev's table, including iron, magnesium, calcium, zinc and many others. All of them are extremely important for the normal functioning of the body, strengthen the immune system and improve overall health.
Corn flour is a high-calorie product, as the energy value of 100 grams is 331 kcal, which is very high, especially if a person adheres to a proper diet and carefully calculates all the calories consumed. And the FFA (protein/fat/carbohydrates) is 7.2/1.5/70.5 g respectively, so dietitians recommend consuming no more than 100 grams of the product per day to avoid not only overeating but also overloading the body with carbs.
What is the benefit of corn flour
The benefits of quality corn flour have been known for a long time, as the product has been considered a "go-to" product since its appearance for those who want to saturate the body with useful micro- and macro-elements, while improving the functioning of internal organs. The caloric value is several times lower than that of wheat flour, so it can be a full-fledged substitute for the traditional product.
Among the main useful properties of the product are:
- Beneficial effect on the gastrointestinal tract and digestive system, as the product softens the intestinal walls, due to which products are more quickly digested and completely eliminated from the body.
- It strengthens blood vessels, which prevents the emergence of vascular disease.
- Prevention of cholesterol accumulation, as it is carefully eliminated from the body, which contributes to the normal functioning of internal organs.
- Strengthens the immune system and prevents the occurrence of colds.
- Iron, which is in the composition of corn flour, helps to saturate the blood cells with oxygen, which positively affects the overall health of the person.
- Calcium strengthens bones, teeth and nails.
- Vitamins in the product start the process of cell regeneration, so it improves the appearance, which is considered an important positive quality for girls who want to maintain their youth and beauty.
Note! Despite the nutritional value and benefits of cornmeal, in the diet should be other products for proper saturation of the body.
The benefits of cornmeal when breastfeeding
Almost all of the useful substances in the composition of corn are preserved in the flour, so when breastfeeding, it is a useful and nutritious product that allows you to improve the quality of milk, enriching it with vitamins for the normal development of the child's body. Specialists highlight the following advantages of using cornmeal in breastfeeding:
- The metabolism is accelerated, so the nursing woman feels great physically, as constipation and gastrointestinal disorders are prevented.
- The central nervous system strengthens.
- The useful substances in the product are passed on to the breast milk, so the baby's body strengthens and recovers.
- Slags and toxins are excreted from the body, so the nursing mother can more easily achieve weight loss, while restoring her figure.
Important! If the mother introduced cornmeal in the diet, and the child had an allergic reaction in the form of a rash or diarrhea and / or constipation is noted, you should exclude the product from your menu and go for a consultation with a pediatrician.
Cornmeal for weight loss
In the composition of corn flour there are anthocyanins, which contribute to the destruction of fat cells, so regular moderate use of the product in the diet can improve the condition of the skin, eliminating the appearance of unwanted orange peel. And also stabilizes the digestive system, cleanses the intestines and stomach of toxins, which is considered an important advantage.
Fibre present in the composition of flour from corn kernels, provides complete saturation of the body, so for a long time there is a feeling of fullness, which eliminates overeating, which leads to gaining excess weight.
Important! It is not recommended to use corn flour for people with poor blood clotting, because the product can cause great harm.
Corn flour in medicine
Corn flour is a popular product for weight loss, and additionally provides the opportunity to establish the work of internal organs and strengthen the body, making it much easier to cope with all the stresses. The benefits of flour from corn kernels in diabetes, gastritis, pancreatitis and similar diseases are highlighted. But it is important to consider the specifics of each individual case, so as not to encounter adverse reactions of the body.
When diabetes mellitus
When sugar is elevated, cornmeal will be a particularly important product, as it helps to reduce the indicators, while improving the well-being. And also a large number of vitamins and minerals supports the immune system, preventing the appearance of various complications against the background of diabetes.
Important: The glycemic index of corn flour is 70 units.
Corn meal is allowed in the remission stage, because the period of exacerbation requires compliance with a special diet - so prevent the appearance of the inflammatory process, which disrupts the normal operation of the pancreas. And it is also additionally worth consulting with the attending doctor, because corn meal can be aggravating for the body, because pancreatitis has different stages and forms.
Inflammation of the mucous membrane of the stomach cavity (gastritis) requires compliance with a special diet, so that products can reduce acidity and relieve irritation, thereby normalizing the functioning of the organ. Gastroenterologists recommend the inclusion in the diet of natural corn flour in small quantities, because in this way it allows to soothe the walls of the stomach, eliminating pain and rubs. It is better to cook dishes with it baked rather than fried.
Cornmeal in cosmetology
Cornmeal has proven itself not only in medicine but also in cosmetology, so on its basis are often created various cosmetics for hair and skin, improving the appearance.
Please note! It is not recommended to store long homemade remedies, as they can go bad.
For the face
The skin of the face with age and under the influence of the external environment loses its former appearance, so it requires a careful attitude to the choice of care products or components for their homemade. Cornmeal is an effective and safe product, often used in face and hair masks.
There are several types of masks - you can choose the option that suits your skin type.
- Rejuvenating mask. It is created on the basis of natural cornmeal with the addition of egg white and lemon juice, as this combination tones the skin, making it more elastic and firm.
- Moisturizing mask for the face and neck. In the basis of such a mask, in addition to cornmeal, there are a few drops of olive oil and egg yolk. This eliminates excess dryness, so that the skin becomes more attractive and soft.
- Acne mask. Cosmetic clay combined with cornmeal and decoction of melissa is an opportunity to clean pores, eliminate comedones, thereby improving the color of the skin, making it more attractive and fresh.
On the basis of the powder of corn kernels, you can prepare a good mask for oily hair, eliminating the effect of greasiness, creating additional lushness and softness. An important quality is also considered that such a mask nourishes the roots of the hair, improving blood circulation, so the bulbs grow better, making the hair especially lush and beautiful.
Recipe: cornmeal (the amount is determined by the length of hair) mix with water (the consistency should turn out liquid), add burdock oil - 1-2 tbsp, add 1 tsp of mustard. Hold for 15-20 minutes, rinse with warm water.
How corn flour is better than wheat flour
Many people compare corn flour with wheat flour, mistakenly believing that the difference is not great, but in fact the product based on corn kernels is more nutritious and useful, as evidenced by the following advantages:
- Low calorie count compared to wheat flour.
- There is a favorable effect on the digestive system.
- The metabolism is regulated, so all the toxins and toxins are eliminated.
- The condition of the body is improved, since there are much more nutrients in corn flour.
But to get all the positive properties when using cornmeal, it is worth initially to choose it correctly, paying attention to the composition of the product, the type of grinding and quality.
Hazards and contraindications
- Corn flour is considered a dangerous product for poor blood clotting, because the enzymes in the product can lead to an increase in its density, which will negatively affect the overall condition of the body.
- Another popular contraindication of corn flour is considered to be individual intolerance of the body and allergies to the product, so a careful attitude to the introduction of the product in the diet is required, so as not to encounter possible adverse reactions.
- It is not recommended to use such flour when problems with the gastrointestinal tract and digestive system are exacerbated, as this can provoke the appearance of even more inflammation, which is fraught with many unpleasant consequences.
How to make cornmeal at home
It is not necessary to buy store-bought flour from corn kernels, because if you know certain rules and have the proper equipment, you can prepare it at home. There is no need to have millstones, as you can use a powerful coffee grinder, which has different modes for thoroughly grind the product.
The recipe itself is simple. You need to sort out only selected grains that have no damage. Then the grains are slightly dried to be able to avoid the dampness of the flour, and only after that they are ground to the desired consistency. If one grind is not enough, you can repeat the procedure to get the desired type of grind and structure of the finished product.
What you can make with cornmeal
Corn flour is a versatile product in cooking, which can easily replace the traditional wheat flour, while obtaining a high quality, useful and nutritious dish. Culinary gurus distinguish the following dishes, in which corn flour will be just right.
- Scones. Corn tortillas - this is a dietary dish, which can easily replace bread, as a minimum of products and maximum benefits - the main positive qualities. Medium or fine flour is ideal for this, providing elasticity of the dough and ease of use for baking.
- Pancakes. For pancakes, fine flour is ideal, because it produces a homogeneous dough without lumps, which gives the dish a more presentable appearance and rich flavor.
- Bread. If you do not want to buy store-bought bread, and homemade on the basis of wheat flour - it is unaffordable pleasure due to the fact that the product has a high caloric value, you can easily replace the wheat flour with corn flour, getting a more delicious and richer bread.
- Cookies. Even on a healthy diet, you can treat yourself to a delicious dessert once in a while if you choose the right recipe. Cookies based on corn flour are a treasure trove of vitamins and minerals, so the body gets enough nutrients to satisfy hunger and normalize the gastrointestinal tract.
- Fritters. Fritters are another popular dish based on corn flour, which can be prepared for breakfast without fearing for your figure.
- Mamaliga. This is a traditional dish of Moldovan and Western Ukrainian cuisine, which is a steeply boiled corn porridge based on grits or flour, which makes it a delicious and rich dish.
How to choose and store cornmeal
To get the most out of cornmeal, it must be properly selected and stored in accordance with the established norms, so as not to encounter subsequent problems. If we talk about the choice, it is important to highlight the following points:
- The tightness and quality of the packaging.
- Type of grinding, because it determines the taste of the product and the convenience of its use.
- Expiration date, because an expired product not only does not bring any benefits, but can also cause harm to the body.
Important! You can buy a quality product, focusing first of all on a well-known company-manufacturer, otherwise there may be third-party impurities in the composition of the flour.
If we talk about the storage of corn flour, it is also important to consider a few rules:
- Compliance with the temperature regime in order to avoid drying or drying of the product.
- The level of humidity also plays an important role in storage.
- It is important to pay attention to the need to store only in an airtight container, which protects the product from negative external effects.
Choosing the right cornmeal is an opportunity to always have a versatile culinary and cosmetic product at hand, if you learn how to store and use it.
Interesting facts about corn flour
Flour based on natural corn kernels is considered a popular product, which is also associated with a lot of interesting facts.
- Corn flour was first used by the ancient Indians, who were in search of a healthy food for strength and stamina.
- The South American people consider cornmeal to be their national product, so many dishes are created on its basis.
- In the Slavic states, corn flour did not immediately take root because many did not take the product seriously.
High-quality, natural and useful cornmeal is an opportunity to keep your body in a normal state, saturating it with many useful substances. But the basis for successful use - the right choice, storage and adherence to the recipe of preparation, as there are certain nuances that can not be left unattended.
«Important: All information on the site is provided solely for introductory purposes only. Before applying any recommendations, please consult with a specialized specialist before you use any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."