Sesame oil: composition, useful properties and uses
Sesame seed oil is very useful. Many decades ago it was proved the beneficial effects of the product on human health. The oil has beneficial properties for both the male and female body, and it is used both as a food and as a medicinal product.
- Composition and calories
- Useful properties of sesame oil
- General benefits
- For women
- For men
- For Pregnancy
- For breastfeeding
- For children
- For weight loss
- Sesame oil in medicine
- Diabetes mellitus
- In pancreatitis
- For gastritis
- In constipation
- For gout
- For Liver
- How to use sesame oil for medicinal purposes
- Can I drink on an empty stomach
- Sesame oil in cosmetology
- For Face
- For Hair
- For Eyelashes & Eyebrows
- For the Body
- How to Use Sesame Oil in Cooking
- Can I Fry on Sesame Oil?
- What can be substituted for sesame oil?
- Harms and contraindications
- How to choose and keep sesame oil
- Interesting facts about sesame oil
Sesame oil is enriched with vitamins and mineral compounds. In Eastern countries, the seeds of this culture are particularly popular, they are an integral part of almost every dish. The seeds of the sesame plant produce oil that has a nutty smell and pleasant taste.
If raw grains are used for production, the oil is light and has a normal taste and smell. If the oil is obtained by pressing the roasted seeds, the product acquires a darker color, delicate aroma and a more pronounced taste.
The product also has a number of contraindications, which should always be studied before using.
Composition and calories
The value of sesame seed oil is that it contains many useful components that can support the appearance and health of the body.
- Due to the presence in the oil of unsaturated fatty acids, represented by omega-3 and -6, strengthens the body's defenses, normalizes blood glucose levels.
- The sesame product contains a large set of vitamins and trace elements that support human vitality. It is found in 17 micronutrients necessary for the normal functioning of the body, including zinc, cobalt, selenium and others.
- The product is very popular in cosmetology because it contains vitamins A and E, as well as ascorbic acid. These substances can strengthen the structure of hair and nail plates. In addition, the oil has a positive effect on the regeneration of the skin.
Sesame oil is quite caloric, about 900 calories per 100 grams of product, which is almost half the daily caloric intake of an adult. The oil is 99.9% fat and only 0.1% is water.
Useful properties of sesame oil
- Regular use of sesame oil has beneficial effects on the cardiovascular system. Vascular tone is restored, increasing their strength and elasticity. The product helps to eliminate "bad" cholesterol, normalize blood pressure.
- Moderate use of the oily liquid in the diet leads to an increase in the number of platelets in the blood, which is the prevention of such diseases as arrhythmia, ischemia, tachycardia, anemia.
- Sesame seed oil leads to the normalization of the functions of the nervous system. As a result, the risk of Alzheimer's disease and sclerosis is reduced, much easier to endure mental stress, reduced symptoms of stress, reduced irritability and fatigue.
- The oil helps reduce acidity in the stomach, treats erosions, ulcers and fights worms. In addition, the product alleviates colic, moistens the mucous membranes and prevents constipation.
- With pathologies of the teeth and bone system of sesame oil is also useful. It helps them normally develop and function. The product restores cartilage, is a prophylactic agent for osteoporosis, gouty arthritis, tooth decay.
- For diabetics and obese people, the oil is useful because of its ability to improve metabolism while normalizing insulin production.
- The complex treatment with the use of sesame oil for dermatological diseases becomes more effective. Sesame oil product is especially useful for burns, various wounds, fungal lesions, in the presence of psoriasis and eczema.
- Sesame seed oil is a common ingredient in sports nutrition, as it helps to build muscle.
In addition, with the help of this product you can get rid of dry mucous membranes of the respiratory tract. It helps in the treatment of pneumonia, dry cough and bronchial asthma. Also, the use of oil is the prevention of cancer.
Sesame plant oil is very popular among women. The seeds contain phytoestrogens - sesamin and sesamolin, acting as substitutes for hormones of the female reproductive system. These substances are especially necessary for women over 50 years old. Masks based on the oil composition of sesame seeds restores the structure of hair, making curls shiny. In addition, such oil is used in the fight against cellulite. It is enough to add a tablespoon of oily liquid to the used body moisturizer and apply it to the problem areas twice a day. This will allow you to get results in a short time.
Sesame oil has a rejuvenating effect. The product is involved in the synthesis of collagen, therefore, contributes to smoothing the skin and reducing wrinkles. Useful components of the oil restore hormones and reduce the symptoms of menopause.
The benefits of sesame product for the male body is also invaluable. Vitamins A and E in sesame (the second name of sesame), as well as phytosterols, squalene, zinc and magnesium improve prostate function. Taking this product is useful for men with low sexual activity. The oil helps to restore normal erections, increase libido, increase sperm synthesis.
Sesame seeds have a number of nutrients, useful vitamins and minerals, but along with this product can lead to miscarriage or cause the birth of a baby with severe hypocalcemia. The oil should not be used by women with food allergies, as well as those who have a predisposition to the development of premature labor. When internal reception of the oil changes the composition of the blood, speeding up the clotting process.
The effect of using sesame oil in a pregnant woman's diet depends on the state of health and the amount consumed. To find out whether it is worth including it in your diet while you are carrying a fetus or not, you should study all of its properties, both positive and negative, and consult your doctor.
In India, sesame seed oil in combination with palm sugar is used as a means to terminate pregnancy. Folk medicine recommends against using this product in the first trimester. Sesame oil contains polyunsaturated fats and sulfur, which may cause an allergic reaction, especially during pregnancy, when the immune system is already weakened.
According to Ayurveda, this oil refers to products that can radiate heat. Sesame oil promotes the release of internal heat, which negatively affects the growth of the baby.
It was mentioned above that the sesame product affects the hormonal system, therefore, as a result of consuming such a substance during pregnancy, uterine contractions can occur, which lead to premature birth or cause miscarriage. From this it follows that during this period it is better to refrain from using sesame oil.
It is also worth noting the beneficial aspects of sesame oil. First of all, it should be pointed out that the oil balances the hormonal background and due to this prevents the occurrence of premature bleeding. It is no secret that most pregnant women face the problem of constipation. Sesame oil in this case will help to solve this issue "gently" due to the high fiber content.
Pregnancy is quite an anxious period, especially in the last months. In this case, the soothing properties of sesame seed oil will be helpful. This is provided by representatives of the vitamin group B in the product.
It is not forbidden to use sesame seed oil during lactation, because the product is well tolerated by the body, rarely causing allergic manifestations in the baby and the woman herself. When breastfeeding, it is not recommended to use oil in large quantities, because it has a specific taste. It can change the taste of the mother's milk, making it more greasy. Also, the oily liquid is useful for breastfeeding women who play sports and lead an active lifestyle along with breastfeeding. It will keep the whole body toned, help build muscle mass and at the same time provide the body with essential fatty acids and various vitamins.
If for some reason a woman during lactation is contraindicated sesame oil, do not get upset, because this product can be used in cosmetology. To return the former beauty, youthfulness and freshness of the skin even with the longest breastfeeding will help various masks based on sesame oil. Also this component can be used to restore hair health.
For children, sesame oil is useful in that it helps with vitamin deficiency. It promotes better absorption of those vitamins and micronutrients that enter the body with food. Children over one year old can use the product as a dressing for vegetable salads. The maximum dose at the age of one to three years is four to five drops. From three to six years of age, a child can gradually increase the dose to 10 drops. In adolescence, children can already be given a teaspoon of oil.
It is worth noting that such a substance can be included in children's diet only in its fresh form. When exposed to heat, all the useful properties of the product are lost.
When losing weight
In the fight against excess weight, diet is important, you need to observe the norms in the consumption of each product. Undernourishment during weight loss can lead to a nervous breakdown. Sesame oil helps to balance the nervous processes in the body and protects against the appearance of stress.
The product has a high caloric value, so it allows you to maintain a feeling of fullness for a long time. If the cause of the excess weight was a hormonal system disorders, this oil will help to restore it, speed up the metabolism and lead to the breakdown of fatty tissue. The oily substance has a laxative effect, which helps to cleanse the intestines from excess moisture and various toxins.
Sesame oil in your diet can be used to reduce weight and normalize metabolism. Most women claim that this substance has helped them get rid of extra pounds. To do this, you should take 2.5 tablespoons of the product every day and lead a normal lifestyle, without burdening the body with physical exercise. However, you need to remember that when you stop such a diet, the weight can come back. Sesame seed oil contains polyunsaturated fats that increase plasma leptin. Leptin is a hormone responsible for regulating energy balance and suppressing hunger. If you take a tablespoon of this composition every day, the body will be saturated with important vitamins and minerals. However, it is important not to get carried away with sesame oil, because the product has a high caloric value.
Sesame oil in medicine
Sesame seeds and oil obtained by pressing them, found use in folk and official medicine. Due to the ability to improve blood clotting, they are recommended for use in constipation, as well as in the case of hemorrhagic diathesis. On the basis of such raw materials various emulsions, ointments and even plasters are made.
The oily liquid contains biologically active compounds that stimulate the production of bile and promote its excretion. Consequently, to protect the body from the formation of gallstones in the gallbladder, it is recommended to regularly include sesame oil in your diet.
Using oil from sesame seeds, a person ensures the health of the heart and blood vessels, because the constant use in food of such a component helps to strengthen the heart muscle, make the vessels more pliable and dense. In addition, the product protects blood vessels from blockage by cholesterol plaques.
The oil is especially useful for people whose work is associated with mental stress, constant stress, memory and attention disorders. It is responsible for the normal functioning of the brain.
Also the product of sesame processing should be used as a prophylactic agent for diseases of the joints, the organs of vision, the excretory, as well as the male and female reproductive systems.
For Diabetes Mellitus
Sesame oil is often used in medicine. This is explained by the fact that in the composition of this product found many useful elements that have a healing effect on the human body. More than thirty therapeutic characteristics of the plant are known around the world, which have been scientifically proven. Among these properties is the ability to alleviate the symptoms of diabetes.
Each sesame seed consists of almost 50% oil and 20% protein. Sesame oil contains various acids and minerals necessary for normal life. Sesame product benefits diabetics who have type 1 and type 2 disease. In type 1 diabetes, the oil helps lower a person's blood pressure. It is known that in this case there is often an increase in blood pressure. Diabetes mellitus type 2 can also be treated with sesame oil. In this case, it helps to prevent the progression of the disease, and in some situations even provides a full recovery. This is due to magnesium, which is contained in large quantities in the oil.
Numerous studies have shown that the product of pressing sesame seeds effectively reduces blood glucose levels, which is very important in the treatment of type 2 diabetes. With the regular use of this substance in the diet of a diabetic, the need for medications that reduce glucose levels is eliminated.
In such a disease as pancreatitis, sesame oil is too caloric and heavy to digest. Based on this, we can conclude that with this pathology, it is better to refuse to use it. This is especially true for the period of exacerbation.
During the period of stable remission sesame seed oil can be used. In pure form, experts do not advise to use sesame oil. It is recommended simply to choose products, which include sesame. These include pastries, salads, hot dishes with the seeds of the plant, as well as vegetable slices or salads, which are dressed with oil of sesame seeds.
The use of sesame oil in the case of gastritis is good because this product has enveloping and anti-inflammatory properties. In folk medicine, there is a recipe that helps to reduce acidity in patients with gastritis. Sesame squeeze is recommended to use three times a day for one teaspoon 30 minutes before a meal, and in the morning you should drink this remedy on an empty stomach. Contraindications are intolerance, tendency to diarrhea, as well as the presence of gallstones in the gallbladder.
Squeeze of sesame seeds has a wide range of useful elements. So, one tablespoon of oil contains a daily rate of mono- and polyunsaturated fatty acids, antioxidants and vitamins. In the treatment of constipation it is recommended to drink a tablespoon of oil in the morning after waking up. In this case, drinking the oil on an empty stomach and drinking a glass of acidified water afterwards promotes the removal of bile, which leads to rapid emptying of the intestines.
The use of such a component for getting rid of constipation has become popular not so much because of the unique composition of the oil, but because of the rapid results. This method is contraindicated for people who have cholelithiasis and reflux esophagitis.
You can also use enemas with sesame oil.
If you have gout
Gout is not a contraindication to the use of sesame oil. Sesame seeds contain much less purines compared to other grains. When gout is exacerbated, the use of such a product should be avoided. During remission, sesame can be included in the diet, but there are some restrictions. Sesame seeds contain fewer purines, but in large quantities they can also lead to elevated levels of uric acid in the body.
The oil is high in calories, hence uncontrolled consumption will lead to weight gain.
For the liver
Sesame oil promotes the production of bile, which leads to the restoration of the normal structure of the liver. The product is a prevention of cholelithiasis. Also sesame seed oil is used in the treatment of liver dystrophy, as well as in pathologies of the biliary tract and even in the treatment of hepatitis.
How to use sesame oil for medicinal purposes
Due to its beneficial properties, sesame oil is widely used in medicine.
- To strengthen the immune system, the oily liquid should be taken a few drops daily. For children, the dose is three drops (starting from one year). Further, you can slightly increase the rate to a teaspoon. Adults and children from the age of 14 years are recommended to use a teaspoon three times a day.
- As a warming agent, the oil can be used for colds. It is enough to rub the chest area to alleviate pneumonia, flu and dry cough.
- Consumption of sesame seed oil in the morning on an empty stomach will help to strengthen tooth enamel and bone tissue, as well as to rid the body of various diseases. For this purpose, you should drink from one teaspoon to one tablespoon of the oil a day, selecting the dose according to your well-being.
- It is customary among the Chinese to rinse their mouths in the morning with sesame seed oil. This helps to remove harmful substances that are formed overnight, strengthen the gums and increase the resistance of the teeth to acids.
Can you drink on an empty stomach
In folk medicine, there are many recipes for the treatment of various diseases using sesame oil. At the same time, there are basic rules for the use of this oil in therapy. First of all, it is worth noting that sesame oil is consumed in the morning, on an empty stomach. Also remember that the total amount of fats in the daily diet should be no more than 1 g per 1 kg of body weight.
Sesame oil in cosmetology
Sesame seed oil is quite light and at the same time nourishing, very useful for health. In ancient India, it was used to alleviate numerous ailments. Sesame oil is practically the oldest of those that exist. However, the benefits of this product are still appreciated to this day. Sesame oil is used to obtain healthy skin, provide beauty to the hair.
For the face
Masks based on sesame oil are very popular among women.
- From the oil, you can get a mask that will get rid of wrinkles around the eyes. For this purpose, it is recommended once a day to smear the problem areas with sesame oil and keep for 25 minutes. After that, the rest of the oil composition should be removed with a napkin and wash with cold water. The result of such a mask will not make itself long to wait.
- You can prepare a nourishing face mask. Depending on your skin type, you should use special ingredients. For dry skin, take two yolks and add to them a few drops of oily liquid. The mixture should be whipped and applied to the face. The mask holds for 15 minutes, then rinse with water. For oily skin use two egg whites and mix them with oil. The resulting composition applied to the skin and leave until dry. Then rinse off the remains with warm water.
- To soften and moisturize your skin, you can prepare another version of the mask. For this you need to take 100 ml of oil, add 50 ml of apple cider vinegar and the same amount of water. All the ingredients should be thoroughly mixed and the ready mass should be applied to the face. Vinegar in this case will help to whiten the skin and destroy all bacteria.
It is worth noting that all masks are applied to a previously cleansed face. For this purpose, you can use lotions or a special cleanser. First you need to steam the skin and only after that apply a cosmetic.
The oily product is also very useful for the health of the curls. With the help of sesame oil, the hair will become smoother, returning natural shine. The principle of action of such a substance is based on the fact that it penetrates the scalp and cleans it from dead tissues, as well as nourishes it.
- The easiest way to use sesame seed oil is to add a few drops to your shampoo. You can use such a remedy as usual. However, the result in such a case will be much better. Also, such oil can be included in the hair conditioner and even mixed with the dye when dyeing.
- To prepare a honey and egg mask for dry curls, you will need to mix two spoons of honey and sesame oil, adding a couple of egg yolks. Preliminary all components should be slightly heated separately from each other. Apply the prepared mask to the scalp, wrap with cellophane and towel.
- You can also prepare a vitamin and essential oil mask. For this you need to mix two tablespoons of heated oil, then add a drop of tocopherol in the form of an oil solution and a drop of retinol. In addition, you can add to the mixture a few drops of lemon oil, grapefruit and ylang-ylang essential oils. Massage the mixture on your head and wrap it in a scarf or towel.
- You can make a compress, which will hold overnight. In this case it is necessary to warm a little sesame oil, apply it on the scalp and put on a cellophane and a warm scarf.
For eyelashes and eyebrows
For the care of your eyelashes and eyebrows you can use the oil of sesame seeds in pure form, as well as mix it with other substances. So, to restore the eyebrows and eyelashes, you should use the following recipe. You need to mix in equal volumes of sesame and olive oils. Apply the mixture to your eyelashes and eyebrows. Hold the mask for half an hour, then you can not wash it off. Such procedures should be performed two or three times a week for a month. This will help accelerate their growth and restore the structure of each hair.
Also known moisturizing mask using wheat germ oil. This will restore the lashes after removing the false hairs. It is necessary to mix 10 drops each of both varieties of oil and apply it to the damaged lashes. Such a mask should be kept for an hour, then if you want you can wash it off with warm water. Use this mask is recommended twice for ten days, a course of three months.
You can use sesame oil in combination with almond oil. Such a mask prevents loss of eyebrows and eyelashes. In this case, you need to mix 0.5 teaspoon of sesame seeds and 10 drops of almond oil. The resulting mixture should be kept for about 30 minutes and then rinse. Prepare such a mask twice a week for two months.
For the body
- To soften the feet and eliminate cracks on the heels it is necessary to massage the oil on the problem areas and leave for the night, wearing cotton socks.
- To rid the body of toxins, you should prepare a mixture of two substances - sesame product and turmeric. To do this, you need to dilute two tablespoons of turmeric with a squeeze of sesame product until you obtain a sour cream-like consistency. The resulting mass is applied to the body, and then rinse after 10 minutes. In this case, allergic reactions are possible. Therefore, it is important to check the skin for sensitivity to the components before use.
- Also sesame product is widely used for massage and rubbing. It can be used pure or mixed with other plant-based substances. It can be used pure or mixed with other herbal substances. If more than one ingredient is used, take the ingredients in equal quantities. The mixture of oils should be heated slightly before applying. Massage with such oil will relax the muscles, improve blood circulation and make the skin softer.
How to use sesame oil in cooking
Sesame seed oil comes in refined and unrefined versions. The second version is made from the seeds, which are previously roasted. The result is an oil of dark brown color with a rich, slightly sweet nut flavor. This product is not used for fried dishes, it can only be added to cooked food before serving.
Refined squeeze of sesame seeds is produced by pressing the raw crop and has a light yellow hue. It is also used for dressing salads, porridges, pasta in ready-made form. In addition, this product is an ingredient in obtaining marinades for vegetables and meat.
For example, you can prepare a sauce for fish and dressing of meat salad. To do this, you will need to prepare a tablespoon of grated ginger, a teaspoon of sugar, 30 ml of sesame oil, two teaspoons of the sesame seeds themselves and 30 ml of apple cider vinegar. You can add on the tip of a knife of black pepper. Mix all the ingredients and whisk thoroughly with a whisk.
Can I fry in sesame oil?
You can't fry in sesame oil. In the process of exposure to high temperatures, the useful substances of the product begin to decompose. Then the oil can even be harmful to human health. It is simply added to cooked dishes to give them a special taste.
What can be substituted for
If you can't find sesame oil, which is what the recipe calls for, you can substitute other oils. For example, peanut oil can be used instead. It also has a number of advantages and is good for the body. However, if you are prone to allergic reactions, such a product should be used with caution.
The nutty taste and specific flavor of walnut oil can also be used as a substitute for sesame product. It can be added to sauces and salads, sprinkled on fish or meat before grilling. It should not be used for frying as well.
You can also use olive oil or avocado oil instead of sesame oil.
Harms and contraindications
When using sesame oil, some safety precautions should be followed.
- Since the product can increase blood clotting, it is not recommended for varicose veins and thrombosis.
- If you have a predisposition to allergies, before using, you should do a test, in which you should put a small amount of the substance on your wrist and wait a couple of hours.
- Uncontrolled use may cause hypercalcemia.
- The product is not contraindicated during pregnancy, but it is better to consult first with the doctor who is seeing the woman.
- Since the oil has a laxative effect, you should not include it in the diet of people prone to diarrhea. It is important to observe the dosage.
How to choose and store sesame oil
To choose a quality product, you should remember that good oil is poured only in glassware. Quality extraction is indicated by the yellowish tinge of the oily liquid and a faint odor.
Sesame oil should be stored in a cool, dry place, protected from direct sunlight. This will help to preserve the useful properties of the product longer. The oil should be stored in a glass bottle. Metal and plastic containers are not recommended for this purpose. Unopened bottle of oil can be used for six months. Even if all the storage rules are followed, sesame oil is capable of forming sediment. This is natural, so it does not affect the properties of the product.
Interesting facts about sesame
- In some sources there is information that in the past sesame was used to make wine. It was the drink that the ancient gods used for inspiration before creating the world.
- In fairy tales, one often hears a spell used to open doors or chests. The phrase "Open Sesame!" was used for a reason. The ripe pods of sesame, also called "sesame," are capable of cracking loudly once their protective shell is touched.
- Sesame seeds were not introduced to the United States until the 17th century. The main countries that grow sesame are China, India, Uganda, Sudan, and others.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only information on this site is provided for educational purposes only. Please consult a health care professional before following any recommendations. should be consulted with a health care professional before recommendations are used. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."