Bay leaf: therapeutic properties and contraindications
The laurel leaf is one of the oldest spices known to man. It is a leaf of laurel that grows mainly in the Mediterranean countries, as well as in Crimea and Transcaucasia. Today it is actively grown in countries with subtropical climates.
- Types of bay leaf
- How to distinguish bay leaf from bay leaf
- Composition and calories
- What is the usefulness of the bay leaf
- For Women
- For men
- For Pregnancy
- For breastfeeding
- For children
- Bay leaf decoction: benefits and harms
- Useful properties of bay leaf tincture
- Laurel oil: properties and application
- The usefulness of the bay leaf tea
- How to drink the bay leaf for weight loss
- Laurel leaf in medicine
- Diabetes mellitus
- In pancreatitis
- For Gastritis
- For the bowel
- For constipation
- For gout
- For the liver
- For hemorrhoids
- For cystitis
- For bronchitis
- Bay Leaf Folk Medicine Recipes
- Fight with cystitis
- Guillotine treatment
- Purification of joints
- For menstrual normalization
- For body correction
- Laurel leaf in cosmetology
- For Face
- For Hair
- Culinary Uses of the Bay Leaf
- Magic properties of the bay leaf
- Harms and Contraindications
- How to store the bay leaf
- How to Dry it
- Can a bay leaf be chewed?
- Interesting facts about the bay leaf
As a spice, it can be added to sauces, meat and pastry dishes, used in medicine, food and chemical industries. The ancient Greeks and Romans considered the tree sacred, which is why a laurel wreath was given as a reward to athletes and generals. Hence, incidentally, the word "laureate", which means "wearer of the laurel wreath," also comes from here.
The laurel leaf contains many valuable organic acids, and the amount of essential oil can be up to 5%.
Types of laurel leaf
Although there are more than 30 species of the plant, there are only 3 main ones that stand out:
- The noble laurel - perhaps the most common species in Europe and Asia Minor, mainly growing in coastal areas, at an altitude of no more than 250 m. The leaf of the noble laurel is of food value. It reaches a length of 20 cm and a width of 8 cm. The noble laurel is a shrub not exceeding 7 m in height. It blooms in spring with small flowers and is also used for decorating interiors and yards.
- The camphor laurel is a plant native to Southeast Asia. But it is also grown in Australia, North Africa, Brazil and America. The camphor laurel is an evergreen tree, the plant contains an essential oil, the main component of which is camphor. The greatest amount of it is found in the bark. In Japan, for example, camphor is obtained by distilling water vapor and wood from the plant.
- The Azores or Canary laurel is an evergreen tree, which reaches a height of 15 meters. It grows in mountainous areas in the Azores and Canary Islands. The leaves are oval, about 10 cm long and about 5 cm wide. This type of laurel is ornamental.
How to distinguish the laurel leaf from the laurel leaf
It is not uncommon to confuse the laurel leaf and the bay leaf, this is because the plants are very similar. However, despite the similarity, it is not recommended to use the bay leaf in cooking because it contains hydrocyanic acid. Of course, the lethal outcome will not come, but nothing good will come from its consumption. By the way, because of the similarity, laurel and got its name. It is not so easy to distinguish the plants: those who have not encountered them before are unlikely to be able to do it at first.
- The laurel leaf is larger than the laurel leaf, even though the latter can be up to 20 cm long.
- The laurel leaf is rounded and has a sharp tip, whereas the laurel leaf is oblong and blunt.
- The leaf veins of the laurel are sparse and perpendicular to the main leaf. In the laurel, they are more frequent and at an acute angle.
- The dry laurel leaf feels denser and firmer. The laurel leaf is thin and crumbles easily.
- The branches are greenish and brownish in laurel and reddish in laurel.
- The dried bay leaf is more fragrant than the laurel leaf.
Although the laurel tree is also used in medicine and the chemical industry, it is still mainly used for decorative purposes in landscapes and hedges.
Composition and calories
In cooking, the bay leaf is removed after cooking, as it is tough and not good for food. Sometimes crushed bay leaves are used.
The energy value of the bay leaf is about 300 kcal.
The advantage of the bay leaf is that it retains its full flavor in dried form. That is why it is so popular.
A 100 g of bay leaf contains:
- Protein - about 7 g.
- Fats - about 8 g.
- Carbohydrates - about 40 g.
At first glance, it seems that the bay leaf does not contain many useful substances, but they are extremely important for the body and its normal functioning.
Polyunsaturated fatty acids
- Linoleic. This acid is not produced in the body, so it is important to consume foods that contain it. It protects body cells and makes them able to survive even in the most extreme situations.
- Linolenic acid. This acid is also not produced in the body. Its deficiency leads to acne, brittle hair and nails.
- Omega-3 is directly involved in the work of the whole body. It has a positive effect on the cardiovascular system, most organs and the brain, prevents the accumulation of harmful cholesterol.
- Omega-6 is important for the body to get the necessary energy. It is believed that when its sufficient amount reduces the risk of coronary heart disease.
- The laurel leaf contains large amounts of iron, which plays a direct role in the formation of hemoglobin and the distribution of oxygen throughout the body. The role of iron cannot be overestimated, which is why experts recommend consuming as much food containing this element as possible.
- Manganese - the amount of this microelement in the body is negligible, but it plays a huge role in its normal functioning. It mainly accumulates in the kidneys, liver and pancreas. Manganese is necessary for the absorption of trace elements such as calcium and phosphorus, is involved in the formation of hemoglobin and the exchange of vitamins C and B between cells.
- Despite the fact that copper is rarely mentioned by nutritionists, this trace element has a great impact on the body. Without it, the processes of hematopoiesis are impossible. In addition, copper contributes to full metabolism and regulates the structure and structure of connective, bone and epithelial tissue.
- Selenium is poisonous in large quantities. But in small doses it increases immunity and activates metabolic processes in cells. Recent studies have shown that selenium prevents the development of cancer cells. Foods containing large amounts of this trace element are often prescribed as cancer prevention.
- Calcium - building element for bone tissue, regulates blood metabolism, increases muscle tone, makes hair, nails and teeth strong and healthy.
- Potassium is an energetic macronutrient necessary for normal muscle function, its deficiency can lead to cramps and paralysis. It is also, along with sodium, responsible for water balance in the body.
- Magnesium is one of the most important elements in the human body, it regulates energy production, is necessary for transmission of nerve impulses to the nervous system, and the digestion of glucose. Without it, it is impossible to assimilate calcium, and its salts will be deposited on the walls of blood vessels.
- The most in the laurel leaf is vitamin B6, which was discovered only in the last century. Its importance is great because it affects hematopoiesis, the digestion of fats and carbohydrates, and also prevents the occurrence of skin diseases.
- Vitamin A. The first vitamin to be discovered by scientists is sometimes called the "female vitamin" because sufficient amounts ensure beauty and youthfulness.
- Vitamin B9 is also known as folic acid. This vitamin has been learned to be synthesized. In some countries, the manufacturer is required to saturate certain cereals with vitamin B9, it is approved by law. Folic acid increases the body's defenses, prevents anemia and has a positive effect on the development and strengthening of the circulatory system.
In addition, the bay leaf contains vitamins K, PP, C, etc.
What is the usefulness of the bay leaf
At home the laurel is called the "eternal tree". This comparison is objective, because the plant lives for about 400 years. The laurel leaf has many beneficial substances that are important for the body, but it has a special effect on the female body.
For example, it contains vitamin A, which is necessary for the health of hair, skin and nails. Retinol, also called vitamin A, normalizes the metabolism of skin cells, making it supple and firm, and also slows down aging. It prevents the appearance of wrinkles and loss of skin tone. Retinol-rich products are an excellent substitute for expensive facial and body care treatments and products.
Vitamin A is essential for bone formation, hair and nail growth. It increases the amount of sex hormones and regulates the production of keratin, which is the building block of hair. Retinol is a natural antioxidant that fights free radicals, prolonging youth and strengthening the body's defenses.
The laurel leaf has a specific effect on the male body as well. It's no secret that the stronger half after 40 years of age begins to have problems with the cardiovascular system. So, minerals and vitamins, which are part of the bay leaf, prevent and influence preventively on possible diseases of the heart and blood vessels.
Zinc, which is part of this spice, helps normalize the work of the genitals. And thanks to macro- and micronutrients increases potency and libido. Vitamin A increases the amount of sex hormones, which has a positive effect on the reproductive function of men.
It is also worth reminding about potassium, which is simply necessary for physical activity. It makes the muscles work more actively and prevents them from being damaged by significant loads.
There is a myth that an infusion of bay leaf can interrupt pregnancy. Despite active discussions, this speculation has real grounds. The fact is that the bay leaf, if taken in large quantities, can cause uterine contractions. And this can end badly both for the baby and for the pregnant woman. Although this does not mean that the pregnancy will be terminated, still resorting to this method is not allowed. In addition, the bay leaf during pregnancy can cause intrauterine uncontrolled bleeding.
In any case, despite the significant benefits of bay leaf in pregnancy, it is advisable to limit its amount in cooking.
Everything that the mother eats is sure to be passed on to the baby. Laurel leaf is very useful due to the presence of the right vitamins and elements. For example, vitamin A improves body health, preserves beauty, promotes lactation. At the same time, the bay leaf is considered a highly allergenic product, so the baby may get a rash and develop allergies.
To correctly answer the question - whether you can use bay leaf and in what quantity when breastfeeding, you need to observe your personal feelings, as well as be careful with the dosage of the product. For example, if the use of bay leaf does not cause discomfort to the mother and baby, you can safely add it to the first and second courses. If it causes nausea, bloating or a rash on the child's skin, then its use should be stopped immediately.
The bay leaf is very useful for children of different ages, so it should be added to food, it contains many vitamins and minerals that are required for the normal development of the child's body, in particular - various fatty acids, tannins, vitamin A, calcium, potassium and iron.
Quite often infants have allergic reactions, itching and redness on the skin - this is due to food additives, air pollution, etc. A bay leaf can help in this case. The use of bay leaf to treat itching, redness and allergies depends on age. Decoction of bay leaf can only be used in the form of baths and lotions. The latter are used only if only certain areas are affected.
Both fresh and dried leaves are equally suitable for decoctions and lotions. When you have such problems, you should not rely only on bay decoction, you need to look for the cause of the allergic reaction and fight it.
Bay leaf decoction: benefits and harms
Decoctions of leaves have been used in medicine since time immemorial. If we take into account the fact that the benefits of the bay leaf were known to the ancient Greeks and Romans, it is not surprising that decoction from it was used by them to treat diseases quite often.
Decoction of the bay leaf is considered a universal remedy, but it can have different effects on the body, bringing benefits or harm. Therefore, you should strictly adhere to the dosage, recipe, indications for use and pay attention to the quality of ingredients, as well as observe the rules of storage.
Useful properties of decoction from the bay leaf:
- Relieves swelling and removes salts and toxins;
- Helps with allergies, itching and skin diseases;
- Soothes the nervous system;
- Is an excellent diuretic;
- lowers blood sugar and fights parasites;
- stimulates the immune system and heals wounds;
- Helps to recover from serious injuries.
As previously mentioned, decoction can be detrimental to health. This is due to the individual intolerance of the plant, some types of diseases, poor quality of raw materials and the peculiarities of the body.
- Itching and rashes on the skin;
- uncontrolled internal bleeding;
- Gastrointestinal disorders.
Useful properties of bay leaf tincture
Laurel leaf tincture in vodka is a strong medication that should be used with extreme caution.
The benefits of bay leaf tincture
- The use of a small amount of tincture improves defense mechanisms, the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, increases appetite, reduces the amount of sugar in the blood.
- It can also be used in the treatment of sore joints, for this purpose the tincture is rubbed into the skin and wrapped with a woolen cloth. The procedure should be performed every day for a month. If the problem remains, after a short break the procedure is repeated.
- As an emergency treatment, the tincture can be applied to severe bruises and bruises.
- Tincture with laurel vodka can be used to treat acne and pimples, for this purpose it is applied spot on the dermis. It is not recommended to use it every day, 2-3 times a week is enough.
Laurel oil: properties and uses
It was mentioned earlier that laurel leaves contain a significant amount of essential oil, which is why this product has become so popular. Laurel oil is a viscous liquid of light yellow, sometimes light green color, has a spicy smell and a specific taste. It is produced by pressing and distillation, so all the useful substances and vitamins of the bay leaf oil completely preserved.
Important! Laurel oil contains cenol, the amount of which may be half the volume. Therefore, the product is extremely toxic and can cause redness and itching where it is used.
The oil has a complex effect on the body and is used for various purposes.
- As a medicine. It reduces blood sugar levels, improves gastrointestinal function, increases immunity, relieves itching, promotes quality sleep and fights insomnia, normalizes blood pressure, removes toxins from the body.
- For cosmetic purposes. The product deeply cleanses the skin, reduces inflammation and swelling, strengthens the hair and improves its growth, rejuvenates the skin and removes age spots, narrows pores and gets rid of black spots.
- As a soothing agent. The oil affects the emotional state, improves brain function and increases activity, calms and relieves stress.
Most often laurel oil is prescribed:
- when recovering from surgery;
- Allergies, itching and rash;
- loss of appetite;
- headaches and problems with the cardiovascular system;
- Problems with hair growth and poor skin condition;
- long stressful situations;
- Metabolic disorders.
The benefits of bay leaf tea
It is a well-known fact that black tea, brought from India to Europe, was not a cheap pleasure, so in its guise began to brew bay leaf. As it turned out later, this drink has unique properties and also quenches thirst, especially if you do not use sugar. It has a bitter taste, which means - will not be to everyone's liking.
- cleanses the body of toxins and impurities;
- quenches thirst;
- flushes out excess fluid;
- relieves pain in the joints;
- lowers blood pressure;
- improves metabolism;
- relieves swelling;
- enhances protective functions;
- is an excellent prophylactic against colds;
- dissolves stones.
Before drinking the tea, you should consult a specialist. It is strictly forbidden to drink bay leaf tea for pregnant women and children under 6 years of age.
How to drink bay leaf for weight loss
It is believed that decoctions and tinctures allow you to lose weight quickly and without much effort. In fact, this is not entirely true. The problem of excess weight is a large amount of salt in the body. It retains water in the cells, thereby contributing to the accumulation of toxins and wastes.
The bay leaf is a diuretic and removes in a short time all unnecessary liquid, and with it - the toxins. It also stimulates metabolism and normalizes the gastrointestinal tract. As a consequence, the weight comes back to normal. For understanding: regular consumption of tea brewed from the bay leaf will remove from the body up to 4 liters of fluid. The consumption of bay leaf for weight loss should be combined with ginger and other foods that burn fat.
Also, do not rely only on the action of the "bay leaf", its use should be combined with diet or exercise. Plus it is necessary to properly brew the bay leaf, make infusions and decoctions, namely - to observe the proportions, to monitor the quality and storage.
Laurel leaf in medicine
In diabetes mellitus.
Diabetes mellitus is a common disease that affects many people around the world. The ailment is expressed in the inability of the body to produce insulin, which is needed to break down glucose in the blood. To cope with the disease, it is necessary to follow not only a course of treatment, but also a special diet.
Most experts advise patients, in addition to medications, to use products that help to cope with the disease. One of these is the bay leaf, in this case it is recommended to make various decoctions and tinctures from it. Most often, the bay leaf is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
The laurel leaf has a rapid effect on the body. For example, during studies, scientists found that after a month of regular use of the bay leaf, blood sugar levels dropped significantly. This is due to the regulation of carbohydrate metabolism and reduction of cholesterol levels.
Treatment of diabetes with bay leaf is appropriate only in the initial stages of the disease, but this does not mean that it will not be useful in other cases. Most diabetics who consumed it for a long time, noted that their general condition improved significantly, the symptoms of the disease became less pronounced, their mood increased.
Important: The glycemic index of laurel leaf is 15 units.
Pancreatitis - a severe disease in which the function of the pancreas is disturbed. Few people attach importance to maintaining the health of this organ until problems begin. The cause of the disease in half the cases is alcohol abuse, and the disease affects mostly the male sex. In acute stages, it is necessary to seek professional help from a specialist.
For successful treatment, as in the case of diabetes mellitus, it is necessary to adhere to a strict diet. In the acute course of the disease, the bay leaf, as well as other spices, should be completely abandoned. The fact that they actively affect the work of the pancreas, which is unacceptable.
In remission of the disease should also refuse to use bay leaf, although later, in a period of good health, you can expand the range of products and spices.
Despite the presence in the bay leaf of vitamins and elements necessary for the body, to make tinctures and decoctions to improve health with pancreatitis is not worth it, although they do help with many diseases.
Gastritis is a disease that is characterized by inflammation of the mucous membrane of the stomach. With this disease, it is important to eat food that will not irritate the diseased organ. Despite the fact that most spices in gastritis are forbidden, the bay leaf can be added in the preparation of dishes.
The bay leaf is able to normalize the work of the gastrointestinal tract. It will help to cope with flatulence, stomach pain will pass, stools will be normalized. In addition, the regular use of the bay leaf as a seasoning will have a positive effect on the work of the whole body and help to cope with the disease.
It is important in any disease to eliminate the cause of its occurrence. In the case of gastritis, it is often constipation and nervous system disorders. The bay leaf normalizes the gastrointestinal tract and normalizes the nervous system, so indirectly it will help not only to deal with the consequences, but also to eliminate the root cause.
For the intestines.
The bay leaf contains acids and essential oil that accelerate the metabolism, improve the function of the gastrointestinal tract, which is important for digestive problems. Thus, it reduces flatulence, stops pain, cramps, etc. The smell of the bay leaf improves appetite, and the oily acid protects the colon from toxins.
The bay leaf has astringent properties, so use it as decoctions and tinctures should be extremely careful not to provoke constipation. In this case, it is strongly recommended to switch to a diet in which vegetables and fruits will greatly dominate.
With constipation, the use of bay leaf should be abandoned.
In case of gout
The disease affects the joints and the tissues surrounding them by the deposition of uric acid salts, which is caused by a failure in purine metabolism. In addition to following a course of treatment, it is necessary to exclude from the diet products that contain purines, and consume foods that remove uric acid salts from the body.
The benefits of laurel leaves in gout are unique: decoction from them is able to regenerate tissues, increase protective functions and remove salts. Also laurel leaf tincture can be used to reduce pain, especially this is relevant for attacks of the disease.
For the liver.
The bay leaf has the ability to clean the blood vessels and liver. However, its use should be abandoned if liver disorders are observed.
For many centuries, the bay leaf, and in different forms, is used to treat hemorrhoids. Various infusions and decoctions are used for this purpose. This spice is so popular because it contains tannins, fatty acids and essential oils. Also the bay leaf itself has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
With regular use of the bay leaf the density of the mucosal film of the colon increases several times, which prevents the emergence of inflammation.
Useful properties of the bay leaf in hemorrhoids:
- The high content of essential oils reduces the effects of microbes that affect swelling when hemorrhoids are affected.
- Tannins constrict blood vessels, which reduces the risk of bleeding.
- The laurel leaf partially relieves pain and itching.
- Practice shows that several intakes of decoction or specially prepared tincture significantly reduces pain, irritation and itching. The general condition is normalized.
Cystitis is a viral disease that mainly affects women. Since it is often treated with antibiotics, it greatly affects the overall condition of the body.
For partial elimination of pain, to fight the infection, as well as to disinfect the genitourinary ducts, doctors recommend taking a bath with bay leaf. Due to the presence of camphor, fatty acids and tannins, the patient's condition significantly improves, reducing the duration of treatment and the number of antibiotics used.
Previously, it has already been repeatedly mentioned about the high content of camphor and essential oils in the leaves of the bay leaf. These components have, above all, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. And means on the basis of the laurel leaf can eliminate both the consequences and the cause of coughs and respiratory system diseases.
To treat bronchitis, you can use bay oil (in this case rub the chest with it) and decoctions (taken orally and used for inhalations).
Even in severe cases, the patient's condition may improve after just a few doses or treatments. However, when using oil and decoction, you should consult a doctor and adhere to precautions.
Recipes of folk medicine with bay leaf
The fight against cystitis
Cystitis is the scourge of many women. Although the disease has already been studied enough, there are no drugs that can protect against it or cure it in the shortest possible time.
To fight the ailment, you need to take about 25-30 grams of dried bay leaf and place it in a bucket of water, bring it to a boil. Boil for about 20 minutes. Then pour the broth into a basin, wait until the water cools a little, and sit in it so that the buttocks and genitals are in the water. Sit for about 10 minutes, then urinate. This is to ensure that a small amount of the broth gets into the genitourinary system for disinfection.
After the procedure, take a shower and dress warmly. In most cases, already after the first session, the disease recedes, if not, then the next day the procedure should be repeated.
Treatment of maxillary sinusitis
To prepare a decoction, you will need:
- 3-6 large bay leaves.
- 1 cup of boiling water.
How to prepare: pour the bay leaves with boiling water for 20 minutes.
Procedure: soak a gauze cloth in the decoction and put it so that it covers the forehead and nose. Repeat the process until the decoction becomes warm. These actions are best performed before going to bed for a week.
Cleanse the joints
Boil 300 ml of water, add 5-6 sheets of laurel, boil for 5 minutes. Then pour the decoction into a thermos and insist at least 5 hours. Take in the morning 2-3 sips. Drink the medicine no more than 5-6 times a day.
To normalize the menstrual cycle
Many women are faced with delayed periods, which can be a symptom of various diseases. If it happens quite often, it is necessary to seek professional help from a doctor. If there are no health problems, however, you can cause your period at home on your own with the help of folk recipes, in particular - a decoction of bay leaf will be an excellent remedy.
How to prepare:
- Place 8-12 pieces of bay leaf in 0.5 liters of water and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour the resulting mixture into a thermos and infuse for at least 3 hours.
Take the decoction chilled several times during the day, with a high probability that your period will go the next day. If this does not happen, you should immediately consult a doctor
Important! Decoction can cause uncontrollable bleeding, it can not be abused.
For figure correction
Laurel leaf for weight loss can be used in conjunction with other products, adhering to the diet. To effectively reduce weight, you can use the following decoction:
- Prepare a stick of cinnamon and a few pieces of bay leaf.
- Boil them in 1 liter of water for 15 minutes.
- Drink the decoction on an empty stomach for 3 days, then take a break.
The decoction also significantly reduces blood sugar, removes toxins. You can not take it while drinking alcohol.
Leaf peel in cosmetology
Acne and oily shine
Due to improper diet and vitamin deficiencies, it is not uncommon for acne to occur. To get rid of it, make the skin elastic, give it a natural color and reduce oily shine, it is enough to prepare a simple tonic from the bay leaf.
It is made very simply - to do this, pour 100 grams of bay leaves with a glass of boiling water and boil for 10-15 minutes. Then cool the broth and leave in a cool place, away from direct sunlight. Tonic apply to clean skin several times a day until completely dry. Then wash off with warm water and apply moisturizing cream.
To get rid of pimples and wrinkles, give elasticity to the skin and restore shine, you can use a simple face mask.
To do this, you need to boil 1 cup of water, pour 3-6 sheets of laurel in it and let the liquid cool, then strain. Then place in a container 3-5 tbsp. blue clay, add decoction and mix thoroughly. Before applying the mask to the face, the skin should be thoroughly cleansed. Hold the mask until the clay begins to crack. After that, carefully remove it by rinsing your face with warm water and apply moisturizing cream.
For pimples and inflammation on the face
To effectively combat inflammation on the skin is suitable alcoholic tincture on the bay leaf.
How to prepare:
- Wash the bay leaf thoroughly, dry and finely chop it, add it to a container that is tightly closed.
- Pour medical alcohol in a ratio of 5 to 1.
- Place in a dark, cool place for 2 weeks, shaking occasionally.
- If everything is done correctly, after 14 days you get a liquid amber color with a characteristic odor. Apply it point by point.
Mask against hair loss
To prepare the mask, you will need:
- Crushed bay leaf - 2 tbsp.
- Natural honey - 2 tbsp.
- Water - 300 ml.
How to cook:
- Boil water, pour the bay leaf.
- Infuse for an hour, then strain.
- Add honey and mix thoroughly.
Apply the warm mask to the roots and the entire length of the hair, cover with a film and wrap with a terry towel. Wait about an hour, after the procedure rinse with warm water and shampoo.
Effective mask against hair loss with bread
One of the most effective masks against hair loss and strengthening the structure of hair is a remedy based on laurel oil, boroda bread and kefir.
To prepare the mask, first you need to make the oil. To do this, grind 15-25 pieces of bay leaf and pour 200 ml of unrefined vegetable oil (you can use olive or sunflower) and leave for a week in a dark place, then strain. For a mask you will need only 1-2 tbsp. mixture.
Ingredients directly for the mask:
- Kefir - 0.5 liters.
- Borodino bread - a few slices.
- Laurel oil.
How to cook:
- In a clean container put the bread and pour the kefir.
- As soon as the bread is sufficiently soaked, pour in the laurel oil.
The resulting mask applied to the hair, paying attention to the roots. Then wrap it in cling film and wrap with a terry towel and leave it to work - it will take about 1 hour. After that, rinse with warm water and shampoo the hair.
Decoction for rinsing
To make your hair strong and look beautiful, you can use a decoction of bay leaves to rinse it.
For 1 liter of rinse, you will need about 20 pieces of bay leaves. Add the bay leaf to boiling water and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. After that, remove the decoction and allow to cool. Apply for 1 month, just rinsing such decoction hair after bathing and not washing it off.
Culinary uses of the bay leaf
The bay leaf is used in all cuisines of the world. It is known to have been added to dishes more than 3,000 years ago. It gives dishes a pleasant aroma and exquisite taste. Dried leaves are most often used, but fresh leaves are also suitable.
As a seasoning it is suitable for first and second courses, as well as for sauces and fish recipes. The bay leaf is also used in the preparation of cookies and pies. It is a mandatory component in canning vegetables and meat.
The magical properties of the bay leaf
The bay leaf can be found in any housewife. If you leave aside the culinary features of this spice and turn to its magical essence, you can apply it in several directions:
- cleanse the house from outside negative energy;
- replenish forces of the body and normalize the flow of internal energies;
- strengthen health;
- to attract good luck in financial affairs
- save from evil words and sights;
- speed up career advancement;
- to give confidence and attractiveness.
Indeed, success can be achieved by someone who is confident in his abilities, has a clear mind, is able to set a goal and ways to achieve it, and maintains a trajectory of movement toward his dream. It is very important that no one interferes with malice, undermining the faith in success, not to take away physical and mental strength. A leaf of a laurel tree becomes a talisman for good luck.
The easiest way - choose a fancy fresh leaf and carry it with you, placing it in your purse or purse, close to the money. It will gradually dry out, but will not lose its properties, protecting you from life's hardships and embarrassing situations.
For a tranquil environment in the home
Family life is like a long voyage. The ocean of feelings, passions and circumstances of family life is not always serene and quiet. Storms are inevitable and no matter what served as the catalyst for a quarrel, tension will erupt into a clarification of relationships where negative energy reigns.
Important: In this case, you should not leave it in the house, it tends to accumulate, creating mental discomfort and provoking new quarrels.
To clean a room, it is enough to fume every corner with spice and take the leaves smoldering on a pan outside the doorstep. Spread branches with 1-2 leaves in secluded corners will not allow the negative to settle in the house. And instead of fighting, when there is emotional stress, it is useful to talk out over a laurel sprig, closing yourself in a room.
For success in business
Often the financial issue in the family is very acute, and efforts to improve the situation as if they go in the sand, without bringing tangible results. To change the situation, choose among fresh leaves the most beautiful, even, saturated in color, with a bright aroma. Then charge it from the rising sun and the rising moon, holding it on an outstretched hand. Then formulate a wish and pronounce it clearly over the sheet, wrap it in a scrap of natural fabric, carry it with you in your inside pocket.
A simple and effective talisman of individual use will be obtained from a fresh leaf if you carefully write on it a wish, placing it on the surface without abbreviating words, wrap it with a red thread of silk or wool and constantly take it with you to important events, meetings, negotiations. The unobtrusive aroma of laurel is associated with success, disposes people to a constructive dialogue, allows you to quickly reach an agreement.
If you put amber in a small canvas bag sewn with your own hands along with a leaf of laurel you will improve your health. Combination with pearls will increase personal appeal, red thread of natural material will attract money. To protect the newlyweds from evil words, before the wedding ceremony, a small leaf is placed in their shoes under the insole. After the celebration, they are taken out, thanked, and put away from prying eyes, preserving them until they crumble from time.
The magical properties of the laurel allow you to create effective amulets for your home and family on your own. It is best to use fresh leaves and sprigs, their action is stronger and longer.
Harms and contraindications
In addition to its benefits, the bay leaf can bring considerable harm. It should not be added in large quantities in the preparation of dishes, as it can cause poisoning. With great caution it should be used in pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Renal insufficiency;
- liver disease;
- stomach ulcers.
How to store the bay leaf
It is important to understand that, like other spices, the bay leaf has a shelf life. If the package is hermetically sealed, then from the day of packaging it can be used for a year. If it is opened, this period is significantly reduced. Do not store the bay leaf next to other spices and in a humid place. The best container for its storage will be a glass container, which is hermetically sealed.
How to Dry
Drying bay leaves is recommended in a natural way, although you can do it in a special device. You can not use an oven or microwave oven for this procedure.
- Place the leaves on clean paper.
- Dry in a warm, well-ventilated room, without access to direct sunlight.
- It will take at least 14 days to fully dry the leaves.
- During the drying process, it is better to turn the leaves periodically so that they dry evenly. The leaves should be arranged in a single layer.
- If after two weeks they are still green and soft, you need to extend the procedure for another 7 days.
Can you chew a bay leaf
A dried bay leaf can be chewed and is an excellent remedy for stomatitis. To cure sore gums and get rid of inflammation, it is recommended to chew a small leaf of dried bay leaf once a day.
Interesting facts about the laurel leaf
- Wilted bay leaf is used as a spice, dried as a flavoring.
- In ancient Rome, the laurel wreath was the highest military insignia in the modern army. Its leaves can also be seen in the decoration of military uniforms.
- Laurel leaves are an integral part of the heraldic insignia of many countries and dynasties.
- In the fine arts, a laurel leaf in a portrait indicates that the person was engaged in literary activities.
- The laurel wreath was not only used by the Greeks and Romans. Many English coins depicted monarchs with it, as it was considered a symbol of power and authority.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only. purposes only. Before applying any recommendations, please consult with a specialist. specialist before applying any recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."