Freshly squeezed lemon juice: useful properties and contraindications
Lemon juice is a transparent yellowish liquid with pulp, obtained by pressing a lemon, with a sour aftertaste. It is widely used in areas such as medicine, cooking, and cosmetology.
- Composition and calories
- What is the usefulness of lemon juice
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- In Pregnancy
- For children
- For weight loss
- The benefits of olive oil and lemon juice
- Lemon juice in medicine
- For Diabetes Mellitus
- For pancreatitis
- For Gastritis
- For Intestines
- For constipation
- For gout
- For the liver
- For cholecystitis
- For oral cavity
- Lemon juice in cosmetology
- For Face
- For hair
- For Nails
- For Teeth
- For the Body
- Cooking Applications
- Home use
- Harm and Contraindications
- How to Store Lemon Juice
- How to drink lemon juice correctly
- Lemon juice can be drunk at night and on an empty stomach.
- Can lemon juice be replaced with citric acid?
- How to Make Lemon Juice at Home
- How to Get Lemon Juice from Citric Acid
- Can I Quench Soda with Lemon Juice?
- Interesting Facts about lemon
Ingredients and Calories
The caloric value of the product is 16 kcal per 100 ml of the finished product. Lemon juice in terms of benefits is no different from lemon.
Lemon juice contains a huge amount of minerals. It contains vitamins B, A and E, beta-carotene. Macronutrients are present in the form of magnesium, sodium, chlorine. Micronutrients are represented by iron, zinc, fluorine. In 100 grams of the finished product there are 0.9 g of protein, 0.1 g of fat, 3 g of carbohydrates.
How is lemon juice useful?
- Contributes to strengthening the immune system and the body as a whole.
- Can lower the temperature of viral diseases, removing harmful substances from the body (it is a popular component of antipyretic drugs).
- Tones the body and improves performance.
- It has a huge benefit to the work of the internal organs.
- Thanks to lemon juice improves vision.
- It has the property of breaking up kidney stones.
- It has a beneficial effect on lowering sugar in diabetes of both types.
- Improves blood circulation, which leads to a decrease in headaches.
- Helps fight brittle and dry nails and hair.
The antioxidant in the composition improves the function of the epidermis, getting rid of acne, blackheads, greasiness. The skin becomes elastic and acquires a healthy color. Lemon juice can cope with PMS and headaches. Many women widely use lemon juice in care products. Thus, rinsing the hair with juice, you can get rid of brittleness and dryness. For owners of blonde hair is a way to change the hair color by several tones without the use of harmful chemicals.
Juice has a beneficial effect on male strength, increases the level of testosterone, increases potency. Consumption of a sufficient amount of lemon juice increases the viability of sperm. It is also used to treat adenoma of the prostate. Regular consumption of lemon juice will improve blood circulation, which will help reduce the occurrence of heart attack, stroke and heart failure. Doctors say that men's health is weaker than women's, so the diet must include lemons.
The consumption of juice depends on the individual characteristics of the body of a woman. In this case, it is obligatory to consult with a doctor. If there are no contraindications, the consumption of lemon juice will improve the work of the body. One teaspoon of lemon juice per glass of chilled water will help to cope with toxicosis. Such a small amount is due to the fact that in a large amount ascorbic acid causes irritation of the walls of the stomach, as a result of which heartburn may appear. It is also a strong allergen, but in small quantities will not harm the body. For pregnant women, there is a problem with their teeth - concentrated lemon juice can destroy tooth enamel.
The chemical composition of the juice is useful not only for the baby, but also for the mother herself. The drink is able to increase lactation and milk production. The presence of vitamin C is aimed at the prevention of viral diseases of mother and child. Since lemon is a strongest allergen, it should be introduced carefully.
Enter the diet of lemon juice can be introduced in a month after delivery. It is necessary for the adaptation of the baby to the outside world. You should start with light tea drinks with a little citrus. During the first day, it is important to monitor the reaction of the baby.
For babies, lemon juice has a huge number of benefits.
- Is able to cope with constipation, cleanse the intestines of toxins;
- is an excellent tool for disinfecting the mouth;
- increases appetite;
- has a positive effect on the gastrointestinal tract;
- copes with increasing nausea and the state after vomiting.
Doctors recommend introducing lemon to children's menus no earlier than 8 months of age. If a child is prone to allergic reactions from birth, then introduction to citrus should be postponed until age three. A teaspoon of boiled water and one drop of lemon juice are needed for the first complementary drink. In the first 24 hours you need to carefully observe the reaction of the body.
For weight loss.
Lemon juice contains pectin, with the frequent use of which there is no interest in snacking. And this leads to the loss of excess weight.
To reduce excess weight, it is recommended to start the morning with a glass of water with lemon juice. The caloric value of such a drink will be 16 calories. If you exclude all carbonated and sugary drinks from your diet, then the daily caloric content will decrease by 200 points. Nutritionists advise to consume additionally up to 1.5 liters of liquid per day. Water can increase metabolism, which leads to weight loss. And water with lemon juice cleanses the body of harmful toxins and toxins.
The benefits of olive oil and lemon juice
The high fat content of olive oil in interaction with ascorbic acid can cleanse the body of toxins, remove symptoms of intoxication, and fight excess cholesterol. Such a cocktail can cleanse the liver, strengthen the heart and blood vessels. If you take it in the morning, you can get rid of lack of sleep and fatigue, severe swelling. Olive oil and lemon juice have a positive effect on the stomach and intestines, can get rid of constipation.
To saturate the body with useful properties and vitamins olive oil and lemon juice should be used in the morning on an empty stomach. The oil must be cold-pressed and the lemon juice must be freshly squeezed. It is necessary to mix a tablespoon of oil and 10 drops of lemon juice. Consumption of such a composition will help to improve the overall condition of the body, hair and nails.
Lemon juice in medicine
The medical use of the drink is due to the presence of a large amount of vitamin C. It can improve the immune system and has a beneficial effect on the psyche. Vitamin C can smooth the walls of blood vessels and is useful in the fight against varicose veins and hemorrhoids. It has a beneficial effect on the skin, making it smooth and supple, as well as on the emotional state. If the mood in the morning is bad, then the hormone neuropeptide is poorly produced in the body, the work of the biochemistry is disturbed. Ascorbic acid can make up for this deficiency. Vitamin C has a strong anti-inflammatory effect in kidney disease.
When you have diabetes, you need to give up a huge amount of fruit. Lemon has a glycemic index of only 25 units. This is a very small value compared to most fruits, so with both type one and type two diabetes, eating lemon is possible. It can effectively fight the disease. It should be consumed in small quantities - no more than half a fruit per day. This is due to allergic reactions, which in interaction with drugs can irritate the walls of the stomach.
The use of lemon with sugar is excluded. To improve the taste, it is better to use a little honey, if there are no contraindications to the use.
If you have pancreatitis.
The consumption of citric acid in acute pancreatitis can complicate the course of the disease. The high content of citric acid strongly irritates the pancreas. In the chronic course of the disease in the patient's diet citrus should be absent. Caution should be exercised in the preparation of dishes in which lemon or citric acid is used. The consumption of even a small amount can aggravate the disease.
In diseases of the stomach, lemon juice is strictly forbidden, a special diet is prescribed, which excludes all citrus fruits. Vitamin C can increase the pH balance of the stomach, damage the walls and increase the pain syndrome. In the remission stage of the disease, the use of lemon juice is allowed, but in moderation. Meals with lemon juice should be steamed. The food should not be sour, in which case preference should be given to something else. It is allowed to eat one whole lemon a week.
For the intestines
Lemon juice is often used to cleanse the intestines. It is not absorbed into the intestinal walls, but removes harmful toxins by passing through. Lemon juice should be abandoned for acute and infectious intestinal diseases.
Thanks to the drink, extra water is eliminated from the body, and swelling goes away. Improves bowel function in general, pass flatulence, constipation, diarrhea and bloating.
Ascorbic acid has a laxative effect. In people with weak intestines, the morning consumption of the drink can provoke an upset. To fight with constipation will help a glass of boiled water with lemon juice. It is necessary to add table salt and a spoon of honey. Such a composition has anti-inflammatory properties, restores the walls of the intestine, normalizes stool.
Lemon juice in the process of digestion splits into derivatives that have a neutral effect on uric acid. This helps to get rid of salts. Lemon juice also has a favorable effect on the liver, stimulating the outflow of bile. The vitamins and fiber present in it improve digestion and remove harmful substances from the body. When the drink is consumed properly, the overall condition improves. In complex therapy restores the work of the kidneys, which allows the removal of uric acid from the body, which is beneficial for the prevention of gout.
For the liver
Citric acid promotes the production of bile, which can remove poisons and toxins from the liver. For this purpose, you should drink a glass of water with juice on an empty stomach. The measured consumption of the drink helps to eliminate cholesterol. Lemon juice helps the liver to produce complex enzymes to break down proteins, contains a huge amount of vitamins that help to fight viruses and bacteria.
To cleanse the liver in the morning on an empty stomach, drink a mixture of half freshly squeezed lemon juice, a slice of garlic, 2 tablespoons of olive oil per glass of boiled water.
Lemon juice is used to gently cleanse the body in cholecystitis. To treat the disease, you need to follow a strict diet. It includes a variety of freshly squeezed freshes. It is recommended to use lemon juice diluted with warm water. Such a drink should be consumed no later than 20 minutes after preparation to preserve the maximum beneficial properties. Drink it through a straw to preserve tooth enamel. Consume half an hour before a meal. Such a drink is useful only at the stage of remission of the disease.
For the mouth
Consuming a moderate amount of lemon juice, you can not only save the enamel of the teeth, but also cope with bleeding gums, eliminate bad breath. Consuming three tablespoons of lemon juice after meals, you can eliminate the bad smell from garlic and onions and kill various bacteria. Ascorbic acid has antibacterial properties.
To deal with bleeding gums, rinse your mouth with one glass of water with two spoonfuls of lemon juice after meals. Vitamin C has anti-inflammatory properties. Lemon juice can also help with toothache.
Lemon juice is considered a natural mild diuretic. It is useful in diseases of the bladder, helps get rid of excess fluid in the body, relieves swelling. The norm will be the use of no more than 2 glasses of lemon juice, mixed with water. If you consume it in excess, the urge to go to the toilet may become more frequent. Lemon juice irritates the walls of the bladder and causes frequent urges, so it is necessary to observe moderation.
Lemon juice in cosmetics
Lemon juice is able to tone the skin and make it elastic. It is used to restore hair and make it shiny and elastic. With the help of vitamin C, skin cells are able to produce collagen, which will lead to the reduction of wrinkles. A feature of lemon juice is its bactericidal and antiseptic properties.
For the face
- Ascorbic acid has the property of drying the skin. This is an excellent remedy for greasiness, acne and inflammation. To fight such problems, you will need to grate lemon zest and mix it with 50 ml of vodka and water. It is recommended to wipe your face with such a tonic at least 2 times a day.
- Citric acid is able to dissolve grease, and thanks to the scrubbing particles can clean your face from dead skin cells. To prepare the scrub, you will need 2 teaspoons of ground coffee, the juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of honey. To give your skin a fresh and radiant look, soak the lemon slices in water and wipe your face with them in the morning.
- You can use a mask of honey and lemon to narrow the pores. Mix two tablespoons of honey and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Massage into face and leave on for 30 minutes.
- With the help of citric acid you can fight pigment spots, or lighten the skin. Beat a raw egg with 1 teaspoon of citric acid and 10 drops of hydrogen peroxide. Apply to the skin, rinse with lukewarm water after 10 minutes.
Ascorbic acid can strongly dry the skin, so any mask with the addition of lemon is not recommended to do often.
To restore curls, giving them shine, you need to rinse the hair with lemon juice once every few days.
- The rind of 5 lemons should be boiled, strain. After washing your head, rinse your hair with the resulting decoction.
- Thanks to lemon juice, the owners of light-colored curls can get rid of yellowing and lighten the hair by several tones. It is necessary to dilute the juice of 3 lemons with 100 ml of water. Such a mixture should be evenly applied to the entire length of the hair. The greatest effect will be achieved by interacting with the direct rays of the sun.
- Lemon juice is able to regulate the production of sebum. To combat this problem, you will need to mix the juice of a whole lemon, egg yolk, and aloe. The mixture should be evenly distributed over the entire length of the hair, massaging movements rub into the roots. Sustain for half an hour and rinse with warm water.
- To combat hair loss, itching, dandruff, you should do the following mask. Burn burnt turnip oil in a water bath, add half a cup of lemon juice. Such a mixture should be rubbed into the scalp with massaging movements. Leave for 40 minutes, rinse thoroughly with a shampoo.
- A lemon juice bath can help to cope with nail brittleness and splitting. The mixture should be 50 grams of oil (olive, burdock, sea-buckthorn, linseed) with a tablespoon of lemon juice. Keep your nails in such a bath for 20 minutes. Repeat once a week.
- To strengthen the nail plate it is recommended to use honey and lemon juice. Mix a tablespoon of honey with a teaspoon of lemon juice. Rub into the nail plate for 10 minutes. Repeat up to two times a week.
- If the nails are yellowed, the lemon juice should be rubbed into the nail plate or a slice of lemon should be applied for 10 minutes. At the end of the procedure, wash your hands and apply moisturizing cream.
- To strengthen and grow your nails, make a bath of salt and lemon juice. Mix two spoonfuls of sea salt with a spoonful of juice. Hold hands in such a bath for up to 10 minutes.
For the teeth
- Lemon juice has a whitening effect, so you can use it not only to treat gums and teeth, but also to whiten them. To do this, you will need to put 5 drops of lemon juice in a teaspoon of water. The resulting mixture should be rubbed into the enamel of the teeth and rinse with water. Repeat no more than once a week to avoid damage to the teeth.
- If you mix one teaspoon of baking powder with a teaspoon of lemon juice and rub the mixture into the tooth enamel, you can whiten your teeth by one tone. Note: Such a remedy, if you overdo it on your teeth, can destroy tooth enamel.
- For fresh breath and elimination of germs in the mouth, mix a glass of water with the juice of a whole lemon and rinse the mouth thoroughly.
For the body.
- To get rid of tough and rough skin on the elbows will help lemon juice. Rub lemon juice, diluted with olive oil, into rough skin for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
- To cope with high sweating, you need to wipe problem areas with a cotton pad soaked in lemon juice. You can also wipe problem areas of the body with a slice of lemon.
Lemon juice is widely used in cooking. The zest is often used as well.
Lemon juice is needed to create sauces, marinades, salad dressings. It is added to a salad of fresh vegetables, it helps to emphasize flavor and give freshness. Such a salad becomes especially healthy. Lemon zest is grated and added to desserts to create a subtle flavor and unique aroma.
Lemon juice can also be used in other situations. For example, if lettuce leaves are wilted, you should hold them in ice water with lemon juice. It can be added to the water in which the eggs will be boiled, then the shells will not crack. To prolong the freshness of fruits, they should be placed in ice water with lemon juice.
Lemon juice is recognized not only in cooking and cosmetology, but also in the home.
- It is an excellent insect repellent. Ants are known to be intolerant of lemon essential oils. The effect will also be noticeable in the fight against cockroaches. You should treat with lemon juice all surfaces where the insects live.
- With the help of ascorbic acid's whitening capabilities, you can give a snow-white appearance to cotton things. You should add a couple of spoonfuls of lemon juice to the laundry detergent.
- Lemon juice is also used to remove rust and limescale. In the kettle you need to add the lemon juice of one fruit along with the peel and boil it.
- To clean microwave ovens, you will need to dilute in equal proportions lemon juice and water. Place in the oven for 3 minutes. The high temperatures will leave condensation on the walls from the water, and the citric acid will disinfect and remove dried food.
- Cutlery can be given a new look. To do this, rub them with salt and pour lemon juice. After a couple of minutes, rinse with water.
- Lemon juice can get rid of unpleasant odors. For example, it is enough to rinse a cutting board with it.
- If lemon juice is left in the refrigerator, it will absorb all unpleasant odors.
Harm and contraindications
Lemon juice is a natural, harmless product. But it is the strongest allergen.
- Even in healthy people, abuse will lead to allergies.
- The product carries irreparable damage to dental enamel. Long-term use of citric acid leads to cavities and increases susceptibility to infections.
- For oral disease, concentrated lemon juice can increase irritation and pain. When it comes to freshly squeezed lemon juice, you should drink it through a straw. It is recommended to mix it with water.
- In diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, lemon juice can cause pain syndrome by destroying the walls of the stomach.
- It is not recommended to use citric acid for cosmetic procedures for people with hypersensitive skin. Acid has the property of drying - you may get severe irritation on the skin.
How to Store Lemon Juice
Freshly squeezed lemon juice should be consumed immediately. After an hour, it will lose half of its useful properties and vitamins and will no longer have medicinal properties. It is not recommended to store it at room temperature. Ascorbic acid goes sour when exposed to high temperatures.
The drink should be stored in the refrigerator, at a temperature no higher than 4°C. For storage it is better to use a glass container with a lid. This is to preserve its health properties as much as possible. For long-term storage, lemon juice should be frozen in ice molds and used in the morning, adding it to a glass with water.
How to drink lemon juice
If there are no contraindications, lemon juice should be taken on an empty stomach in the morning. Half a lemon juice should be mixed with half a glass of boiled water and taken half an hour before meals.
Can I drink at night and on an empty stomach?
In the absence of contraindications, it is recommended to consume lemon juice on an empty stomach. This will improve the function of the stomach, get rid of heartburn, and remove the symptoms of morning sickness. It is possible to consume lemon juice before going to bed, but it is better to avoid interaction with sleeping pills and sedatives.
Can lemon juice be replaced with citric acid
It is categorically impossible to use citric acid for the recovery of the body. It does not have the beneficial properties and vitamins of natural juice. Citric acid is used exclusively in cooking.
How to make lemon juice at home
In order to make lemon juice, you need clean, slightly unripe lemon fruit, without defects. Unripe fruits have more useful vitamins. For easier squeezing, drop the fruit in boiling water for 1 minute. Cut the fruit lengthwise for ease of squeezing. You can use a mechanical or automatic juicer, meat grinder or squeeze by hand. It is better to mix the finished juice with a small amount of water.
How to make lemon juice from citric acid
Modern citric acid consists of sugar and moldy fungi. To make the juice, dissolve a teaspoon of powder in 100 ml of boiled water. Stir thoroughly and leave for 10 minutes for complete dissolution of granules. Using the resulting liquid as a juice is prohibited. Such a composition is suitable only for cooking in small doses for salad dressing.
Can I extinguish baking soda with lemon juice?
Soda is used in cooking as a leavening agent for dough. For pancakes, pies, baked goods, carbonated soda is used. When it interacts with citric acid, a large amount of carbon dioxide is released, making the dough airy and light. You need to take the baking soda in the required amount and drop lemon juice on it. The resulting mixture is mixed with flour.
- The homeland of the lemon is thought to be India, China and tropical islands.
- The lemon is believed to be a hybrid of the citron and the red orange.
- The first time people learned about this citrus was after the campaigns of Alexander the Great's soldiers. They gave the lemon its name, the Indian apple.
- Up to 13 million tons of the crop are harvested annually all over the world.
- The lemon has a peculiar smell thanks to its essential oils.
- The pulp of the lemon makes up to 70% of the fruit, the rest is the peel.
- Folk medicine has used lemon juice in the fight against scurvy.
- In the 18th century, lemon juice was thought to protect against plague and was an antidote to poisonous snake bites.
- Lemon can be grown at home.
- The lemon tree bears fruit for up to 9 years.
- The smell of citrus repels insects and will help deal with ants.
- Lemon has bleaching properties. With its help, you can lighten hair, get rid of age spots, remove rust.
«Important: All information on this site is provided solely for introductory purposes only. Before applying any recommendations, consult a health care professional. specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."