Onion husks: useful properties and contraindications
Onion husk is a useful raw material - yellow-brown onion peels.
- Composition and calories
- What are the usefulness of onion husks
- For Women
- For Men
- For pregnant women
- For Children
- Therapeutic properties of onion husks
- Recipes of folk medicine on the basis of onion husk
- Onion husk in cosmetology
- For Face
- For Hair
- Onion Hull Decoction Benefit and Harm
- Recipe for an ordinary decoction
- Tea from onion husks: benefits and harms
- Onion husks in cooking
- Harm and contraindications
- The use of onion husks for the garden or vegetable garden
- How to dye eggs in the onion peel
- Interesting facts about onions
Composition and Calorie
The nutritional value of 100 grams of onion husks is 41 kcal.
- water - 85.01 g;
- carbohydrates - 8,23 g;
- proteins - 1,41 g;
- dietary fiber - 3,01 g;
- ash - 1,02 g; fats - 0,23 g;
- fats - 0,23 g; organic acids - 0,21 g;
- organic acids - 0.21 g;
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.06 mg;
- B2 (riboflavin) - 0.03 mg;
- B5 (pantothenic acid) - 0.12 mg;
- B6 (pyridoxine) - 0.124 mg;
- B9 (folate) - 9.01 mcg;
- C (ascorbic acid) - 10.02 mg;
- E (alpha-tocopherol, TE) - 0.23 mg;
- H (biotin) - 0.91 µg;
- PP, NE - 0.52 mg;
- niacin - 0.21 mg.
Onion peels have this mineral composition:
- Potassium - 176 mg
- Calcium - 32 mg
- Magnesium - 15.01 mg
- Sodium - 4,01 mg
- Sulfur - 66.02 mg
- Aluminum - 401 micrograms
- Phosphorus - 57 mg
- Chlorine - 24.01 mg
- Boron - 200,01 mg
- Iron - 0.83 mg
- Iodine - 3.02 micrograms
- Cobalt - 5.01 micrograms
- Manganese - 0.24 micrograms
- Copper - 90,03 micrograms
- Nickel - 3.01 micrograms
- Rubidium - 477 micrograms
- Fluorine - 31.01 micrograms
- Chromium - 2.02 micrograms
- Zinc - 0.86 μg
Onion husks are also rich in a number of essential and substitutable amino acids.
What are the benefits of onion husks
Women use the husk of onions to preserve and restore the body during menstruation: it gets rid of pain, normalizes the violation of the monthly cycle. It is used to cure amenorrhea, at menopause and to treat varicose veins, as well as cramps in the lower extremities. Women find the use of onion husks in various areas of daily life. They are used for cosmetic procedures, in the preparation of useful and delicious dishes, in the cultivation of fruit-bearing trees and shrubs.
For men, onion peels are suitable for maintaining potency at a high level and restoration of male health. It improves all body functions, is used to cure prostatitis, improves blood circulation in the internal organs of the pelvic area, gets rid of edema and pain, removes inflammation, restores damaged tissues.
For pregnant women
Women in pregnancy are not recommended to use onion husks in any form, as it can provoke the loss of the fetus.
Most doctors categorically do not recommend using onion husk decoctions when treating children who are less than twelve years old, so as not to complicate the health situation. It is always better to seek help and advice from qualified specialists.
Therapeutic properties of onion husks
You can make your own medicine based on the husks of onions, and it will work no worse than the drugs purchased in pharmacies.
The secret of all the unique healing qualities of the husks is to boil them in water - then all the useful substances are in the liquid. In unprocessed form onion husks specialists in the field of medicine is not recommended to use - it is more useful to make infusions and decoctions, solutions, oils.
Using onion husks for external use is also possible, for example, to prepare a miracle oil or ointment. Effectively used in the treatment of skin diseases.
Onion hulls help in the treatment of fungal diseases of the feet: to do this, you need more than 30 minutes to steam your feet in a strong solution.
Onion husks have aroused unusual interest in people who are involved in the study of aging. Onion husk decoctions and infusions have a multidisciplinary effect on all internal organs of the human body:
- Normalize blood circulation by increasing blood flow, increasing the hemoglobin content in the blood.
- They have cardiotonic properties, improving myocardial tone thanks to potassium salts.
- They strengthen capillary walls, reducing their fragility, and vessel walls are more permeable.
Recipes of folk medicine based on onion husks
- Decoction from colds and a diuretic. Prepare it in the ratio of the husks and water - 1:10. We boil on low heat, strain, cool, use.
- Infusion to strengthen the immune system. Cooked on a water bath for up to 15 minutes. Take 2 cups of boiling water and 2 tablespoons of onion husks, insist about 8 hours.
- Tincture for cleaning blood vessels and reducing blood pressure. An alcoholic infusion is added to the decoction in a ratio of 1:5. Insist one week.
- Ointment for healing wounds and insect bites. Onion husks are grinded into a powder, to it is added with the base of the ointment in a ratio of 2:3.
- Oil for the treatment of dermatitis. It is used externally. Olive, vegetable, castor oil is used (the amount should overlap the husk). With it we pour in hot onion husks and leave to insist for a month, then we remove it to the refrigerator and use as directed.
Onion husks in cosmetology
If possible, collect onion hulls, because its application is found not only in medicine, but also for cosmetic procedures, for example to improve the condition of hair and restore the skin of the person. Such a remedy relieves the skin from acne and pimples, normalizing the sebaceous glands. Decoction of onion hulls helps with dermatitis, it accelerates the healing process of boils and other pus processes. The means from the onion husks accelerate hair growth, as well as strengthen their external condition, give shine and brightness.
Let's consider recipes that will be useful in everyday life of every representative of the fair sex.
- Clean the skin of the face from acne and pimples. Take a container, put two teaspoons of onion husk and one teaspoon of chamomile flowers, pour 350 ml of boiling water. After one hour, strain this infusion and then wipe problematic skin with a cotton swab or regular absorbent cotton. Such a procedure should be repeated 10 days in a row for 3 times.
- With skin diseases and pus formations will help oil on the basis of the husks. Take the husks and pour 1-2 spoons of olive, vegetable or castor oil. The weight of the ingredients is taken depending on the affected area of the skin on the face, determined by eye. Let the mixture stand for two weeks in a dark and cold place. Strain the mixture through gauze or a strainer, put it in a dark glass dish and store in the refrigerator. Apply the mixture to the skin, keep it for about 20 minutes and then wash it off. Use as needed without overdoing it.
- Get rid of wrinkles. We take the husk, strong green tea and boil it in water in the proportion 1:1:10 for about ten minutes. Let's leave it for 0,5 hour, then we take any well absorbent cloth with cut-outs made beforehand for the eyes and the nose area, completely immerse into the decoction, put it on the face and hold it until the liquid dries out completely. Wash off as desired, but it is not necessary.
- To get rid of dandruff, you need to take 1 tablespoon each of onion husks and oak bark, pour 5 cups of water. Boil the mixture for 0.5 hours over low heat, stirring occasionally. Stir occasionally. Strain, then let cool. Then apply to the hair and wrap your head with polyethylene for two hours. To disappear completely dandruff need to repeat this procedure once a week 2-3 treatments in a row.
- To prevent hair loss, take 2 teaspoons of onion husks, add the same amount of oak bark, pour 4 cups of water. Prepare a decoction for 1 hour. Daily for two weeks rinse your hair and scalp. Such a procedure can be repeated in a month.
- To strengthen the hair and change color. Pour onion husks with boiling water one to two, insist more than 9 hours. After separating the water from the husk and rinse washed hair in it. To get even stronger hair, add dill herb to the husks.
Attention! If you are prone to allergic reactions, then you should definitely do a test on the onion husks. Prepared from the husks of onions decoction you need to moisten a piece of absorbent cotton, run it over your hand close to the elbow and rinse. Evaluate the reaction of your skin. If everything is fine, you can safely use, but if there is redness or itchy rash, then you should not take the risk and use decoctions of the husks.
The benefits and harms of decoction of onion husks
- Fighting infectious diseases of the mouth, stomatitis, flus.
- Use to combat skin diseases and seborrhea, as the decoction has antiseptic properties.
- It is used in the treatment of foot fungus.
- It has diuretic and choleretic actions, is used to treat kidney and gallbladder, as well as in therapy for urinary infections.
- The presence of the antioxidant quercetin gives anti-allergic effects.
- Reduces the occurrence of thrombosis and reduces the risk of strokes and heart attacks.
- Slows the development of cancer and is used in the treatment of malignant neoplasms.
- Decoction of the husks is an excellent antispasmodic and laxative, used for constipation, and also serves as an antihistamine.
- It strengthens the human immune system.
Warning. Decoctions should be prepared in a strictly proportional ratio, it is not recommended to exceed the concentration of dry substance in water. If the decoction is prepared incorrectly, it can give the opposite results, not the expected ones.
It is contraindicated to use the decoction:
- If there is an allergic reaction to the components contained in the onion husk.
- Individual intolerance to the body of any component contained in the husk.
- Various diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, especially when they are exacerbated.
- Increased blood clotting.
- Compliance with strict diets.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Taking some medicines that are not comparable with the chemical content of the onion husk.
Frequent internal use of the decoction is not recommended for pregnant women and nursing mothers, nor for children under the age of twelve.
Before starting self-treatment, you should still consult with specialists.
Recipe for an ordinary decoction
First we take the onion husk and pour it with cold water in the proportion of 1:10. Place in a saucepan, put on the stove and boil for 20 minutes over low heat. Give time to cool, then strain through gauze or any strainer, then dilute a little boiled water. Decoction is ready for use.
Tea from the husks of onions: the benefits and harms
Tea drinks from natural raw materials are excellent for people suffering from constipation: they normalize the digestive process and the secretion of gastric juice, help food to digest better.
It is recommended to use at infectious colds and various flu, at bronchial asthma. Tea flushes and disinfects the kidneys and bladder, relieves inflammation. You can safely drink tea from the onion husks just to improve the body and for prevention.
It is recommended to use for people who have a history of hypertension: the hot drink goes well with green or black tea. It can be drunk every day, but do not go overboard with the amount of the medicinal drink drunk. Do not forget also that to hypertensive people such tea is not suitable categorically.
How to cook
Preparation of tea from the husks of onions: take 1 cup of boiling water, pour 2 tablespoons of crushed husks, leave to infuse for ten minutes. After strain and add a slice of lemon and 1 teaspoon of honey. It is recommended to use in a warm form.
Onion husks in cooking
Onion hulls are often used not only in medicine and cosmetology - it has found its wide application also in cooking. A good hostess always has everything she needs in the kitchen and uses it to prepare delicious dishes. This ingredient gives spicy and unforgettable taste to dishes, as well as pleases the eye with its golden color and aromatic enticing and intoxicating smell.
In the daily diet onion hulls enrich the body with all the necessary minerals and vitamins. With the help of husks you can remove accumulated toxins and impurities from the body, prevent various diseases and regulate digestive processes.
Be sure to remove the husks from fresh and clean onions. Beginning to rot or with the formation of fungus onions in any case should not be taken for cooking.
- In Russian cooking, decoction of onion husks is used when cooking dumplings. It is necessary to take one handful of husks for one glass of water and boil for 10 minutes, then insist for 5-10 minutes. Then strain the broth, salt it, boil it again and put the dumplings in it. You will get fragrant and beautiful dumplings.
- With the husks of onions you can cook chicken broth. Need water, onion husks, chicken fillets, spices and salt. Wash 200 g of chicken fillet, cut into pieces, with onion husks (4 to 5 onions) pour 2 liters of water and put to boil until the poultry is ready. After adding spices and salt to taste. Take the husks out of the pot and throw them away. The broth is served warm, with greens and croutons.
- Method for cooking lard in the onion husks. We make a brine. Take a pot, pour 1 liter of water, pour 1 cup of salt and bring to the boil. Add onion peels of 10 bulbs and boil for 5 minutes, then add 4 bay leaves and 6 pieces of allspice. Then we put the lard in the brine and boil it for another ten minutes. Let the broth stand for 20 minutes, remove the lard on a plate. After the bacon cools, rub it with crushed garlic (4-5 cloves). Wrap the bacon in foil and put it in the freezer. Serve sliced with bread. It is better to take lard with meat layers, it will be much tastier.
Harms and contraindications
People with high blood clotting and intolerant of some components in onion husks are not recommended to use this raw material.
Improper use of the husk or exceeding the dose can cause the following unpleasant body reactions:
- painful sensations in the abdominal cavity;
- malaise, loss of strength;
To avoid unpleasant situations, you should strictly follow the proportions in the recipes for cooking.
The use of onion husks for the vegetable garden or garden
The composition of onion husks includes many minerals, vitamins and universal biological components. Every person who has his own plot of land can use onion husks in gardening. This indispensable tool for the garden and vegetable garden has always been on the ear and effective in action. Onion husks are guaranteed to provide organic nutrition to plants, acts as a fertilizer, and also prevents the appearance of pests and various diseases.
Helps against parasites:
- Colorado potato beetle;
- spider mite;
- cross flea;
- bud mite;
- false powdery mildew on cucumbers.
Onion husks act as a fertilizer for plants, they are effective for increasing immunity, eliminate harmful microbes and bacteria from the soil, cure early yellowing and fungus called blackleg, in greenhouse conditions is good to use for the prevention of parasites.
If you add onion husks when planting the plant in the soil, it is possible not only to protect it from various diseases during growth, but also to increase the yield in the future. Almost all gardeners have approved of decoction of onion husks, as this remedy is very useful in their business. When you put the husks in the ground, the soil is saturated with rare substances and minerals.
Onion husk decoctions are used:
- For watering or spraying tomatoes, carrots;
- growing seedlings;
- greenhouse treatment;
- fertilizing potatoes, pumpkins, zucchini and other garden plants;
- control of crawling and flying pests, a list of which was previously given in the text.
The use of onion husks in their natural form is also an effective remedy. Thanks to this raw material, vegetable plants can do without chemical additives, preparations.
Onion husks are used for storing root crops. Products such as potatoes, beets and carrots, celery and parsley roots are stored in the onion peel, it acts as a protector against rot and bacteria and prolongs the shelf life of root crops. In the box put the vegetables, covered with husks and placed in the cellar. This method of storage is relevant for winter and cold seasons. For zucchini, carrots and radishes, spraying with a solution of onion husks is a salvation from rot, germs and mold.
How to Dye Eggs in Onion Hulls
Many people love Easter celebrations, it's fun even for young children. Onion husk is a natural dye and is not harmful to eggs, respectively, and people who eat them. It gives the shells a nice shade. It is customary to give painted eggs for Easter, which is why everyone tries to paint them as beautiful and original as possible.
Method for dyeing eggs
Take 1 liter of water and 2 large handfuls of onion husks (often collected gradually over several months). Bring to a boil and boil for 20 minutes. Note: since the walls of the pan will also be colored by the husks, it is better not to take a new pan, but one that will not be sorry. After cooling the broth a little, immerse the eggs, pushing the onion husks on the sides of the walls of the pan, sprinkle a number of eggs with salt to avoid cracking the shell (if this happens, the egg through a crack in the shell will also be colored onion). We put the pot on the stove, cook for 7 to 10 minutes on low heat after boiling. If you like your eggs softened, take them out much earlier. We take the dyed eggs out and put them in another container, pour cold water on them, and leave them there for 2 to 3 minutes, so that the shell can be cleaned better and the color is fixed. Then we wipe them with a towel. If you want the eggs to shine, rub them with any vegetable oil and put them on a festive dish or in a beautiful wicker basket, with which you will go to consecrate painted eggs in church.
Onion husks come mainly in several colors: yellow, red and orange. The coloring of the eggs depends on this. You can make the eggs a marbled effect, it is obtained by mixing different colors of onion husks and cut into small pieces of plain paper. Together with it, we wrap the eggs in gauze or capron tights, stockings and cook for more than half an hour over low heat. It turns out an unusual, tempting and interesting color.
You can also make eggs dyed in speckles. To do this, we soak the egg, dip it in dry cereal gruel (rice, millet), wrap it in kapron or gauze and cook it in the onion husk.
You can color the eggs in stripes with different colored threads, rubber bands.
If you have bought special stickers and wide strips on the eggs, then glue them already dyed in the onion husk eggs. In case you have a special talent for drawing, the eggs can be painted, painted as the soul will please.
Interesting facts about onions
The image of the onion is inherent in cartoon stories and cinematic lines. All over the world, onions are used in medicine, cosmetology, and cooking. This versatile vegetable is the most common and grows on almost every contingent. It has been around since ancient times, and so many fascinating stories have accumulated about it.
- Linnaeus suggested the onion's name "allus", this translates from Celtic as "stinging" (a very appropriate word for the stinging concentrate released when peeling this vegetable).
- The onion is thought to be native to Southwest Asia, but there is still controversy about it.
- The onion began its journey through Europe in the Bronze Age.
- According to the modern world more than 900 species of onions are known, only 229 species are a vegetable crop and the rest are considered a wild plant. They can be found in meadows, steppes and even forests.
- The image of an onion was first discovered in the tomb of Tutankhamun.
- When the pyramids of Cheops were built, much money was spent to purchase garlic and onions for the slaves - so wrote Herodotus, a historical figure.
- Chinese people first began growing onions about 4,000 to 5,000 years ago.
- The onion successfully made its way to America thanks to Columbus.
- According to statistics from United Nations experts, France and England are in second place for the use of onions, with Libya first.
- The leek is considered the main symbol of the city of Wales in Great Britain. According to ancient legends, it is known that the soldiers won the battle with the Saxons because they were ordered by their superiors to pin a bow to their helmet. This is how the day of celebrating the victory of the battle was determined. Such an interesting story.
- The taste and characteristic odor of the onion causes secretions from the tear glands of the eye. Scientists have proven that such exposure to the body fights the development of malignant tumors. This will form the basis for future research in the treatment of cancer.
- Onions are a fat burner, according to many nutritionists. Onion soup is often used in the diet of developed diets.
- Doctors recommend consuming onions in winter to strengthen the body's immunity, especially during infectious diseases.
- People who grow onions in their greenhouses get sick less often than others.
- When onions are cooked, their substances evaporate and they take on a sweet taste.
- To avoid tears when cutting onions, cooks recommend washing the knife and hands with cold water.
- When onions are cut, tears flow because the onion releases lacrimator, which gets into the air and dissolves. This process produces sulfuric acid, which is an eye irritant.
- The juice secreted by onions helps wounds heal quickly when stung by bees, gnats, or other insects.
- Doctors claim that onions help people adapt faster when they change time zones.
- An atypical case was recorded in England: the farmers grew onions weighing 6 kilograms and presented them at the fair, where the people who grew them received an award.
- Onions consist of many useful elements: magnesium, potassium, calcium, iron, sulfur and many others. It contains essential for people with diabetes, gluconil, it lowers blood sugar levels, very helpful in the fight against this disease.
- Unfortunately, this vegetable is very dangerous for our beloved pets (dogs, cats) and all animals in general.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only. purposes. Consult with your health care professional before applying any recommendations. specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."