Raspberries: useful properties and contraindications
Raspberries are an amazing berry. She has excellent taste characteristics and many useful properties. Each of its varieties is used to treat and prevent common diseases. In addition, the regular use of the fruits of this plant will help saturate the human body with vitamins and trace elements that are necessary for the normal functioning of internal organs.
- What is the difference between raspberries and blackberries
- Which raspberry is more useful: garden or forest.
- Composition and calories
- Raspberry usefulness
- General Benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- In Pregnancy
- For Children
- Raspberry Leaf Benefits
- Is Raspberry Leaf Tea Useful
- What are the usefulness of raspberries for weight loss
- Raspberry in medicine
- For Diabetes
- For pancreatitis
- For Gastritis
- For the Intestines
- With gout
- For colitis
- For cholecystitis
- For colds
- For coughs
- For sore throat
- For fever
- Raspberry raises or lowers blood pressure
- Raspberry-based folk medicine recipes
- Anti-Cold Tea
- Sweat Tea
- Remedy for skin diseases
- Blood Stopping Agent
- Raspberry in cosmetology
- For Face
- For Hair
- Harm and Contraindications
- How to Store Raspberries
- Can they be frozen?
- How to Dry
- What can be made of raspberries: Recipes
- Raspberry juice
- Raspberry smoothie
- Can we give raspberries to animals
- Interesting facts about raspberries
What is the difference between raspberries and blackberries
The blackberry is a berry that is native to North America. It is colored black and grows on bushes of small size. On the territory of Russia in the forests of the middle belt, this plant is much less common than raspberries.
Raspberries are grown throughout Russia and are extremely popular. The fruits of this unique berry are colored in a rich raspberry color and have a characteristic sweet taste.
Most people are sure that the main difference between these two berries is their color. However, this opinion is wrong. The reason is that the color of unripe blackberries is very similar to the ripe raspberries. Moreover, certain varieties of raspberries are colored the same as mature blackberries. To distinguish raspberries from blackberries, gardeners advise paying attention to the following plant features:
- Height and thickness of the twigs. One of the most important differences of blackberries is their size. The plant can be up to 3 meters tall, which is twice the size of raspberry bushes. In addition, blackberries have strong twigs, which cannot be said of raspberries.
- Thorns. A large number of thin thorns can be noticed on raspberry bushes. The blackberry bush is also characterized by the presence of thorns. However, in this case, they will be similar to those located on rose bushes.
- Separation of the berry from the flowerpod. Raspberry fruits are very easy to collect, because they are well separated from the flowerpod. At the same time, blackberries can be removed from the bush only with the kernel.
- Taste characteristics. Raspberries are characterized by a pleasant, sweet taste, which cannot be said about blackberries. Its berries do not contain a large amount of sugar, which explains its specific taste characteristics.
- Yield. The yield index of blackberries is an order of magnitude higher than that of raspberries.
- Fruit ripening. Another difference between these plants is the timing of fruit ripening. The first ripe berries of raspberries are picked from the bushes in mid-summer, but blackberries begin to ripen near the end of it.
Which raspberry is more useful: forest or garden
Many people know that raspberries can grow not only in suburban or garden plots, but also in the woods. At the same time, the fruits of wild raspberries contain much more useful microelements and vitamins. On this basis, experts say that forest berries are ideal for the treatment and prevention of colds and other diseases.
Composition and calories
Raspberries contain a huge amount of vitamins, micro- and macroelements. 100 g of these delicious berries include:
- 12 µg beta-carotene.
- 0.032 mg of thiamine.
- 0.038 mg riboflavin.
- 0.6 mg niacin.
- 0.33 mg of pantothenic acid.
- 21 µg folic acid.
- 26.2 mg ascorbic acid.
- 0.87 mg of tocopherol.
- 7.8 mcg of phylloquinone.
- 150 mg flavonoids.
- 12.3 mg of choline.
- 151 mg potassium.
- 29 mg phosphorus.
- 37 mg calcium.
- 1 mg sodium.
- 22 mg magnesium.
- 0.69 mg of iron.
- 0.2 µg selenium.
- 80 µg manganese.
- 0.42 mg zinc.
- 90 micrograms of copper.
As for calories, 100 grams of raspberries contain only 52 calories, which allows consuming this product for those people who want to get rid of extra pounds.
Useful properties of raspberries
Therapists claim that raspberries are one of the most useful berries. Regular use of the fruits of this plant will be able to have a beneficial effect on the human body and help cope with such problems:
- disorders in the digestive system;
- the development of rickets;
- poor blood clotting;
- low hemoglobin;
- disorders of the cardiovascular system;
- The development of atherosclerosis.
- In addition, the composition of this unique berry helps:
- remove toxins, radionuclides, putrefactive bacteria from the body;
- prevent blood clots;
- stop clogged arteries;
- prevent the accumulation of cholesterol in the blood.
According to experts, raspberries should be present in the diet of every woman. Thanks to its unique composition, it is able to have a beneficial effect on the female body, preventing the development of such unpleasant problems as:
- premature aging of the skin and the whole body;
- hormonal disorders;
- pain syndrome during menstruation.
In addition, this unique berry is able to improve the condition of the skin, returning them elasticity, beauty and healthy glow.
Raspberries are no less useful for men. Its unique composition will help representatives of the stronger half of mankind:
- prevent the development of cardiovascular diseases;
- Reduce the risk of developing urolithiasis;
- to conceive a child, to increase the activity and sperm count;
- prevent the development of impotence.
During pregnancy, a woman's body needs a lot of vitamins and other nutrients. Therapists say that regular consumption of raspberries will be able to fully meet this need. In addition, useful micro- and macronutrients, which are included in its composition, will help:
- cope with severe toxicosis;
- improve the digestive system;
- Prepare the female body for the process of childbirth;
- cope with colds without the use of drugs.
However, do not forget that the excessive consumption of raspberries can lead to undesirable consequences. Therefore, you should control the consumption of the product and do not exceed the norms, which can be established only by a gynecologist.
You should not get addicted to this product and after childbirth. Pediatricians recommend breastfeeding women to exclude raspberries from their daily diet for 6 months. If the young mother refuses to follow this recommendation, she may provoke a serious allergic reaction in her newborn baby.
After the baby reaches six months of age, a woman can diversify her daily menu with this tasty berry, starting with a few pieces per day. If the baby reacted well to the new product, children's doctors allow you to gradually increase its amount. At the same time, it is worth paying attention to the fact that the daily rate of raspberries for a nursing mother should not exceed 100-150 g.
With the right introduction and the absence of allergic reactions in the child, raspberries can not only improve the overall condition of the woman, but also will have a beneficial effect on the baby's body:
- Will strengthen the baby's immune system;
- saturate the child's body with all micro-nutrients;
- improve the function of the child's digestive system;
- Prevent the development of rickets and anemia.
Pediatricians allow the introduction of raspberries into the menu of children who have reached one year of age, provided that there are no serious allergic reactions. Regular consumption of raspberries in the right amount will help:
- Strengthen the child's immune system;
- Prevent the development of anemia and cope with the first stages of this disease;
- Reduce the negative impact of stressful situations on the child's nervous system;
- increase mental activity;
- improve appetite.
Benefits of raspberry leaves
Raspberry leaves are no less useful than its fruits. They contain a large number of components that can have a positive effect on the human body, including;
- ascorbic acid;
- a variety of organic acids;
- mineral salts;
Due to this composition, raspberry leaves are used to treat and prevent colds, bronchitis and sore throat.
In addition, the flavonoids that are part of the raspberry leaves are able to stop bleeding, which makes it possible to use this plant to treat such diseases:
- gastric bleeding.
Decoctions of raspberry leaves have the strongest anti-inflammatory properties, are used to treat stomatitis and inflammation of the gums, as well as for the prevention and treatment of female diseases.
Is Raspberry Leaf Tea Useful
Tea from raspberry leaves enjoys great popularity and contains in its composition all those useful microelements, as well as fresh leaves of this plant. It has a positive effect on the work of the human body and has many beneficial properties:
- Increases the body's resistance to colds.
- Helps to quickly get rid of unpleasant symptoms during colds.
- Prevents the appearance of atherosclerotic plaques.
- Helps to restore heart rhythm.
- Helps lower high body temperature.
- Has an expectorant effect.
- Helps to normalize the work of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Helps eliminate excess water from the human body.
- Helps cure conjunctivitis.
What are the benefits of raspberries for weight loss
Raspberries are no less useful for weight loss. It is a product that contains a small amount of calories, so it is not able to increase the sugar level in the human body. Regular use of this berry leads to the removal of excess fluid and salts from the body, which promotes active weight loss.
In addition, raspberries will help saturate the body with the necessary amount of useful trace elements and vitamins, preventing the development of avitominosis. The daily use of this unique berry will not cause weight gain.
Raspberries in medicine
Many therapists agree that the berries and leaves of raspberries can accelerate the treatment of many diseases. Infusions and decoctions from this plant are advised to patients who suffer from serious diseases of the stomach and intestines, and they are also offered to be used as a natural, diaphoretic. Raspberries are used to reduce blood cholesterol levels and to relieve acidosis in such a disease as diabetes.
In addition, the content of iodine allows to use this berry for treating Graves' disease, and anti-inflammatory properties will help quickly fight colds and the flu.
For Diabetes Mellitus
Therapists do not forbid patients who suffer from diabetes to include raspberries in their daily menu. In addition to its basic health benefits, it can lower blood sugar levels, which is one of the most important symptoms of this severe disease.
In addition, regular consumption of raspberries will help a woman who is carrying a child and suffers from this disease to give birth to a healthy baby with a good immune system.
Important: The glycemic index of raspberries is 25 units.
During the exacerbation of the disease, gastroenterologists strongly recommend their patients to completely exclude raspberries from the daily diet. This is explained by the content in it of a large amount of acids, which can irritate the mucous membranes of the gastrointestinal tract.
However, in the period of stable remission, raspberries will become an indispensable product. It will help the body recover from the disease and saturate it with all the necessary vitamins. Specialists advise patients suffering from pancreatitis to consume this unique berry only after prolonged heat treatment, which contributes to the evaporation of acids.
When introducing raspberries into the diet, you should consult with the attending gastroenterologist. A specialist who is familiar with the specifics of the disease and the characteristics of the patient's body will be able to calculate the acceptable daily rate of consumption of this berry, which will prevent unpleasant consequences from its consumption.
The strictest prohibition for patients suffering from pancreatitis are tinctures, alcoholic drinks from the leaves of this plant and pastries with raspberry filling.
Experts advise to refuse the use of raspberries and those patients who suffer from gastritis. At the same time, according to experienced gastroenterologists, fresh berries of this plant are contraindicated even in the period of stable remission of the disease. Irritating effect of the acid on the mucous membranes can cause not only a deterioration of the patient's general condition, but also lead to the development of complications and related diseases.
For the intestines
But in case of intestinal problems, raspberries will become an indispensable helper. Due to its unique composition, decoction from the dried berries of this plant will help to cope with severe diarrhea and stop inflammation in the intestines.
In case of gout
Treatment of gout is not only medication therapy, but also a strict diet, which involves a complete rejection of many foods, including raspberries. Purines, which are part of this sweet berry, lead to an accumulation of acid in the tendons, joints and even internal organs, which contributes to the development of this serious disease.
Experts say that fresh raspberries in diseases such as colitis can lead to an aggravation of the pathology and the development of serious complications. The reason for such a ban is the presence in berries of small seeds, which can irritate and traumatize the mucous membrane of the gastrointestinal tract, which is extremely undesirable in colitis.
But freshly squeezed juice and decoctions from the leaves of this plant in moderate quantities can positively affect the course of the disease and help relieve unpleasant symptoms.
Doctors do not forbid patients suffering from such a disease as cholecystitis to eat raspberries. However, they note that you should not eat them too much. Raspberries will bring great benefits to the human body and will help to cope with the disease only if the amount of its consumption is moderate.
In case of colds
In the development of colds, raspberries are an indispensable remedy. This unique berry will help to lower the temperature of the human body, will have an antimicrobial effect and saturate the body with a lot of vitamins. Of course, physicians say that raspberries can not replace medical treatment, but they are able to increase the effect of antiviral drugs. In addition, it is allowed to consume those patients who are forbidden many medicines - pregnant women and children.
Raspberries are a natural antiseptic, so they are great for treating cold symptoms, including coughs. The fruits, leaves and even flowers of this plant are used to treat coughs and the initial stages of bronchitis. However, therapists strongly recommend their patients not to refuse medical treatment and use raspberries as an adjunct. According to experts, this plant can enhance the effect of traditional medicines, but will not replace them.
When treating sore throat
Raspberries can also help in the treatment of sore throat. Due to its rich composition and content of vitamin C, P, fiber, protein and folic acid, it will enhance the effect of drugs and accelerate the healing process.
At a fever
Often this plant is also used to lower the body temperature in acute colds. Medics confirm the ability of raspberries to lower a person's body temperature and attribute this to the presence of salicylic acid in their composition. Despite this, medics do not recommend using raspberries as an antipyretic in cases where a person's body temperature has risen to 39 degrees Celsius. In this case, only traditional drugs can remove the fever.
Raspberries increase or decrease blood pressure
Another unique feature of this plant is considered to be the ability to lower blood pressure. The rich composition of raspberries helps to normalize the heart rhythm, is a strong diaphoretic and helps the human body get rid of excess fluid. These unique properties of the plant explain its ability to lower blood pressure values.
On this basis, many therapists advise patients suffering from hypertension to introduce fresh raspberries and teas from its leaves into their daily diet. They will help control blood pressure and have a strengthening effect on the entire body:
- restore blood flow;
- increase vascular tone;
- Improve the immune system.
Raspberry-based folk medicine recipes
Due to its unique composition, raspberries are also widely used in folk medicine. There are many recipes that are based on the fruits, flowers and leaves of this plant. The most popular and effective of them are:
To prepare this folk remedy, you will need only a few ingredients:
- Dried raspberries.
- Boiling water.
Insist 4 full tablespoons of berries in 2 cups of boiling water for 20 minutes. After the specified time, the tea should be strained and drunk. Specialists say that it is particularly effective to take this remedy before going to bed. It will help to cope with the symptoms of colds and guarantee improvement in the overall condition of the patient.
A raspberry jam tea will help to cope with fever. To make it, take two small spoonfuls of homemade jam and one glass of boiling water. Several cups of such tea will not only help to lower the fever, but also improve the patient's well-being.
A remedy for skin diseases
This herb is also an excellent remedy for skin diseases as well. It will help cure eczema, rust inflammation and cope with such a problem as acne.
To prepare the remedy you will need:
- Dried raspberry leaves.
- Boiling water.
10 g of pre-cut raspberry leaves should be infused in 1 glass of boiling water and strain. To cope with skin problems, you should rub this remedy daily on problem areas until full recovery.
A hemostatic remedy
To cope with hemorrhoids and nasal bleeding will help decoction of dried roots of the plant. 1 tablespoon of roots should be boiled in 250 ml of water for 10 minutes. After this time, the decoction should be infused for 60 minutes and filtered.
The remedy is used internally 3 times a day. A single dosage is 1/4 cup and should be strictly observed.
Raspberry in cosmetology
Due to its unique properties, raspberries are widely used in cosmetology. On the shelves of stores you can find a huge number of facial care products, which include an extract of this popular berry. In addition, raspberries can have a beneficial effect on hair, improve its appearance and restore the lost shine.
For the face
It is possible to make cosmetics for facial skin care at home. In this case, they will not be inferior to those offered by modern cosmetic companies.
There are many recipes for preparing care cosmetics using raspberries, but the most popular and effective are these:
This amazing remedy has many unique properties, including the ability to whiten and soften the skin of the face. To achieve this effect, you should regularly make a mask of raspberry juice.
Application: a layer of absorbent cotton of medium thickness should be soaked in raspberry juice and left on the face for 20 minutes. At the end of the specified time, remove the mask, and wipe the face with a cotton swab.
Raspberry juice and milk mask has a refreshing and toning effect
Use: soak absorbent cotton in a mixture of raspberry juice, obtained from 100 grams of fresh berries and 2 large spoons of cow's milk, put on the face, cover with a damp cool towel and leave for 20 minutes. After the specified time, you should wash your skin with water at a comfortable temperature and lubricate it with a nourishing cream.
A mask of raspberry leaf juice and petroleum jelly will help cleanse the skin from acne.
Application: a mixture of 1 part of raspberry leaf juice and 4 parts of petroleum jelly should be kept on the skin for 60 minutes, then wipe off the rest with a cotton or gauze tampon. The maximum effect of this remedy is manifested after 20 treatments.
Raspberries have a positive effect not only on the skin, but also on the hair. Hair care products, the basis of which are the fruits, flowers or leaves of raspberries, can improve the appearance of hair, remove oily shine and restore them after frequent coloring or constant styling.
The most popular hair care products that can be prepared at home are considered to be:
To prepare this remedy, you will need:
- Raspberry juice - 2 tablespoons.
- Sour cream - 1 tablespoon.
- Salt - half a teaspoon.
- The yolk of one egg.
- Vegetable oil - 1 teaspoon.
- Honey - 1 teaspoon.
- A small amount of semolina.
The ingredients should be mixed in a small container until a homogeneous mass, apply to dirty hair, wrap with a warm towel and soak for 50-60 minutes. At the end of the specified time the hair is thoroughly rinsed under running water and shampooed.
To prepare a raspberry rinse, you will need only fresh berries of this plant. Their amount is determined individually, based on the length of the hair.
The berries should be crushed in any convenient way and filtered with gauze. The resulting juice should rinse wet, clean hair.
To prepare a raspberry balm, you will need only high-quality, fresh fruits of this plant. Their amount is determined based on the length and thickness of the hair. For short and not too thick hair, you will need 50-60 grams of raspberries.
Apply the crushed berries to clean hair and soak for 5-10 minutes. After the specified time, you should rinse your hair thoroughly under running water.
Harm and contraindications
Despite the many useful properties, raspberries can cause harm to human health in the presence of certain diseases. Medics draw attention to the fact that this berry is contraindicated for people who suffer from such diseases:
Therapists also advise completely excluding raspberries from the diet of those patients who have kidney disorders and persistent allergic reactions to brightly colored foods.
In addition, gynecologists recommend limiting the amount of consumption of fresh raspberries and teas with the leaves of this plant to pregnant women. In moderate doses, this product will only bring benefits to the female body and the child, but in large quantities, raspberries can cause an abortion of pregnancy.
How to store raspberries
The berries of this plant can be stored fresh, frozen, canned, grated or dried.
Fresh raspberries are stored no more than 20 hours at 20 degrees Celsius. To extend this period to 7-10 days will help storage in the refrigerator. In order not to spoil the berries, they need:
- Pick them.
- Separate from the floret.
- Place in small, clean containers.
- Cover with a cloth napkin.
- Place in the refrigerator. Containers with raspberries should be placed in the middle of the refrigerator and protected from foreign odors, packing all other products.
Can I Freeze
Young housewives often wonder whether raspberries can be frozen. The answer to this question is unambiguous and positive. However, to preserve all the nutrients of berries, freeze them correctly:
- Rinse the berries under clean running water.
- Dry them.
- Lay out the raspberries in a single layer on a small baking tray or cutting board.
- Place the berries in the freezer for 24 hours.
- Store frozen berries in airtight bags or small plastic containers.
How to Dry
Raspberries can be dried in several ways:
- Natural. This method involves placing the berries, laid out in a thin layer on a clean cloth or paper, under direct sunlight and their periodic turning over. After 7-10 days the raspberries will be dried. It is worth noting that when choosing this method of drying it is necessary to prevent contamination of berries and moisture on them.
- Artificial. The artificial method of drying berries involves drying raspberries in an oven. The berries are placed on a clean tray and dried at a stable temperature, which should not exceed 60-65 degrees Celsius. In this case, the berries do not require prewashing.
- Combined. The berries are left in the sun for several days, then placed in the oven and dried at 60 degrees Celsius.
What can be cooked from raspberries: recipes
There are many recipes, the basis of which is raspberries. However, most often from these berries are prepared:
- raspberry jam;
Making raspberry jam will require a little patience and only 2 ingredients:
- Fresh raspberries.
Before cooking, the raspberries should be sorted, removing all spoiled berries, twigs and leaves, and pour clean water for 5 minutes. After the specified time, the water must be carefully drained and proceed to cooking.
Stages of cooking raspberry jam:
- Place the berries in an enameled saucepan.
- Add sugar, the amount of which should correspond to the weight of berries.
- Leave the raspberries in this form for 6-7 hours.
- At the end of this time remove berries from the pan.
- Bring the syrup, which was left in a pot, to a boil and boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the raspberries to the syrup.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for another 5-7 minutes, skimming the foam.
The jam is ready. It remains only to pour it into clean jars and close with lids. Jam made using this recipe can be stored for up to 2 years.
To make juice from fresh raspberries you will need:
- 1.2 kg of berries;
- 130 grams of granulated sugar.
Method of preparation:
- Peeled and over-selected berries are mashed with a blender.
- Purée of raspberries heated and leave for 20 minutes.
- At the end of this time puree strain.
- Add sugar to the resulting juice, bring to a boil and simmer for no more than 5-7 minutes.
- Pour the juice into clean jars and seal with lids.
Ready raspberry juice can be consumed in 2-3 days.
Raspberry compote is loved by both children and adults. This drink is made very simply and does not require a large financial outlay on ingredients.
To prepare it you will need:
- 500 g of fresh raspberries;
- 1 liter of purified water;
- 150-200 grams of sugar.
Method: Rinse the berries. Place them in boiling water. Add sugar. Boil no more than 3-4 minutes.
Compote, cooked according to this recipe, you can drink after cooling.
Raspberry wine will decorate any holiday table and surprise guests. To prepare this drink, you need to prepare the following ingredients:
- A liter jar of fresh raspberries;
- 1 liter of purified water;
- 0.5 kg of granulated sugar.
Method of preparation:
- Add 700 ml of pureed water and 300 g of granulated sugar to the raspberry puree.
- Cover with a trap and leave for 10 days for fermentation.
- After this period, strain the mash and add to the juice 100 grams of sugar and a glass of water.
- Leave it for another three days.
- After this time, add the remaining amount of sugar (100 g).
- When the fermentation process is over, pour the wine into another container, close hermetically and leave to mature.
- The wine maturation process may take from 3 to 6 months. During this period, the wine should be poured into a clean container as sediment develops. Once the sediment stops appearing, the wine is considered ready.
Raspberry smoothie - another popular recipe, the basis of which are ripe raspberries. To make it you will need:
- Freshly squeezed orange juice.
To prepare a raspberry smoothie, you need to whip 250 grams of raspberries with 1 cup of natural yogurt. In the resulting mixture, you need to add 300 ml of cold, orange juice and whip with a blender again.
Smoothie, prepared according to this recipe, will please not only children, but also adults, and will be a perfect, refreshing drink.
Can I give raspberries to animals
Raspberries are a rich source of vitamins, macro and micronutrients not only for humans but also for animals. According to experienced veterinarians, this berry should be included in the diet of pets, but only in limited quantities. In addition, experts recommend that owners of dogs and cats monitor the reaction of the pet to the introduction of a new product. In the case of a skin rash or swelling, this unusual treat should be completely excluded from the diet of the pet.
Interesting facts about raspberries
Many people know about the medicinal properties of raspberries, but not everyone knows that:
- Raspberries are included in many medicines because of their excellent taste characteristics.
- The leaves of this plant can completely replace tea.
- The cultivation of raspberries began in the 16th century.
- Regular consumption of raspberries will help to cope with depression.
«Important: All information on this site is provided solely for introductory purposes. Before applying any recommendations, consult with a specialist. specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."