Dandelion honey: useful properties and contraindications
Dandelion honey is a fragrant, sweet and healthy product with medicinal properties. It is easy to prepare according to simple recipes. The main components of honey are the inflorescences (flower baskets) of the plant and sugar. The product is also called dandelion jam.
- Composition and calories
- Useful properties of dandelion honey
- General benefits
- For women
- For Men
- If Pregnant
- When breastfeeding
- For kids
- How to Take Dandelion Honey
- A remedy for constipation
- A remedy for lowering blood pressure
- Infusion for hepatitis
- Soothing tea for insomnia
- Infusion to improve bowel function
- Tea for liver diseases
- Infusion for colds
- Infusion for cholecystitis
- Cough medicine
- Cosmetic Applications
- Dandelion honey for pigmentation
- Mask for fading skin
- Acne Treatment Mask
- Mask for Dry and Aged Skin
- Dandelion honey for hair
- Harm and Contraindications
- How to Store
- When and how to harvest dandelions for honey
- How to Make Honey from Dandelions: Recipes
- Recipe 1
- Recipe 2
- Recipe 3
- Recipe 4
- Recipe 5
- Interesting facts about dandelions
Composition and Calories
Bees visit all flowering plants, and the medicinal dandelion is no exception. But the nectar of this flower contains bitter substances, so insects do not often sit on it. Real bee dandelion honey is not easy to find; it is more likely to be harvested from mixed grasses.
Artificial dandelion honey has a complex, diverse composition and contains many beneficial compounds. The homemade product contains all the substances that are found in the flower baskets of the plant. The inflorescences contain:
- glycoside taraxanthin;
- natural pigment flavoxanthin;
- vitamins PP, K, E, large amounts of ascorbic acid;
- beta-carotene, retinol (A), riboflavin (B2), choline (B4);
- riboflavin (vitamin B2);
- tripertene alcohols;
- vitamins B1, B5, B6, and B9;
- plant protein (5%);
- lutein pigment;
- macronutrients - salts of iron, calcium, phosphorus and potassium;
- Trace elements - sodium, manganese, selenium, copper, zinc.
All macro- and micro-nutrients are required by the human body. Physical and mental health depends on these compounds.
- Iron is responsible for the high content of hemoglobin in the blood.
- Manganese is involved in chemical reactions that promote rapid recovery from physical, mental and emotional stress.
- Magnesium is needed for constant sleepiness, low mood and depression.
- Calcium is needed to strengthen bone tissue and recovery after fractures.
- Selenium is involved in the regeneration process, prevents the emergence of tumors, strengthens the heart muscles.
- Phosphorus strengthens dental enamel and bone tissue.
- Potassium is necessary for the normalization of heart rhythm.
- Sodium helps to strengthen blood vessels, restoring tissue elasticity.
- Copper is involved in many chemical processes in the body and promotes the proper functioning of cells.
- Zinc reduces sebum secretion and ensures the health of hair and skin.
Vitamin C is important for metabolic processes. This substance supports good immunity and strengthens bone tissue. The amount of vitamin C in dandelions is comparable to that of lemons. Retinol is important for visual acuity and skin health, as is vitamin E. Nicotinic acid is essential for normalizing cholesterol levels. B vitamins ensure normal metabolism, beneficial to the nervous system and play an important role in the processes of cell renewal and regeneration.
Homemade honey contains a lot of sugar. The main ingredient of this substance is sucrose, the amount of impurities in a refined product does not exceed 0.1%. In the body sucrose is broken down into two compounds, glucose and fructose, which quickly enter the bloodstream. Glucose is not only the main supplier of energy to the body. It stimulates the protective (barrier) functions of the liver, participating in the synthesis of acids of the glucuronic group, which protect the organ from toxic substances.
In 100 ml of dandelion honey contains:
- proteins - 0.62 g;
- carbohydrates - 0,15 g;
- vegetable fats - 0.14 g.
The caloric value of the product depends on the concentration of sugar and is 190-220 kcal per 100 ml of product. Honey also contains dietary fiber and ash substances.
Useful properties of dandelion honey
The substances contained in the flower baskets of the plant have nutritional and healing properties that are recognized by both folk and scientific medicine. Plant Components:
- Have a vasodilator effect and increase blood circulation in the capillaries.
- Reduce fever.
- Stimulate the kidneys.
- Cleanse the body of poisonous substances in case of poisoning.
- Have a revitalizing effect on the liver.
- Restore connective tissue.
- Act as a mild sedative and hypnotic.
- Have an antispasmodic effect.
- Strengthen the metabolism.
- Restore the balance of iron in anemia.
- Suppress the fermentation processes in the intestines, thereby reducing gas.
- Restore the thyroid gland.
- Increase appetite.
- Have a gentle laxative effect.
- Help speed recovery in the treatment of infectious diseases.
- Have a bactericidal and anti-inflammatory effect.
- Kill worms and their eggs.
- Saturate the body with useful minerals and vitamins.
Trace elements and salts are in easily digestible form. Their number is large enough to have a healing effect.
Honey is used to combat sluggish digestion, stimulate peristalsis for constipation, bloating (flatulence), to expel worms. In addition to medication, the product is indicated in the treatment of hepatitis, bladder inflammation, pancreatic dysfunction, as a choleretic agent. Home remedies based on flowers treat joint inflammation in osteochondrosis, rheumatism, exacerbation of polyarthritis and arthritis.
In Chinese medicine, dandelion preparations are used as an antipyretic to stimulate the immune system. It is also used to treat pus rashes, furunculosis, inflammation of lymph nodes, many skin diseases, snake bites.
Women can use dandelion honey as a treatment for cystitis, other infectious diseases of the female genital tract and the whole body. 1-2 teaspoons of dandelion honey are included in the diet daily until the symptoms of the disease disappear.
Men as well as women are recommended to eat this herbal product for cystitis and other diseases caused by pathogens (including acute prostatitis). Honey is useful as a tonic and restorative means for severe physical and emotional stress, sleep disturbances in a shift work schedule.
Russian folk healers and doctors recommend that pregnant women treat the product with caution. The composition of flower baskets includes many active substances, the effect of which is not fully studied. To avoid unpleasant consequences, it is better to exclude the dandelion product from your diet or eat it in small quantities. Honey has a mild laxative effect and will help get rid of constipation, which many pregnant women suffer from.
Chinese folk medicine recommends that women take dandelion-based preparations to increase breast milk production. European medicine is of the same opinion. Honey should be used a little at a time and observe the effect obtained, because the reaction to the active organic substances is always individual. If the result is positive, the amount of product can be increased.
Children over 5 years of age can be given dandelion honey as a useful treat and folk medicine to strengthen the immune system. Dandelion jam is useful as a sedative and antibacterial agent for colds. It is taken to prevent complications caused by viral infections. But this product contains a lot of sugar and can cause decay of milk and molar teeth. Plant concentrate sometimes causes diathesis.
For weight loss.
Infusions and decoctions based on dandelion are used in weight loss. All parts of the plant, including inflorescences, contain substances that have a diuretic effect. They contribute to the removal of excess fluid and breakdown of fats. Dandelion gives a laxative effect, which is associated with increased contraction of the intestinal walls. The same effect has a honey made from flowers, but the weight loss effect is unlikely to be significant, since the product is a sugar syrup with a plant extract. When losing weight, it is better to eat products without sugar.
How to take dandelion honey
In classic folk medicine recipes, dandelion honey is consumed three times a day by 2-3 teaspoons. The product is added to regular tea, boiled water, or eaten with a spoon.
There are other recommendations for dosage. They refer to recipes in which dandelion jam is used in conjunction with other medicinal plants. If the list of ingredients includes dried flower baskets, they may well be replaced by honey, the basis of which is vegetable raw materials.
A remedy for constipation
- For a laxative effect, a tablespoon of honey is added to a glass of warm boiled milk. The remedy is recommended to take in the morning or at lunchtime.
- Dandelion syrup (50-60 ml) is mixed with freshly squeezed turnip juice (100-120 ml). The mixture is drunk on an empty stomach, in the morning. After 20-25 minutes there will be cleansing of the intestines.
- Corn stigmas (1 part) are crushed and added to dandelion honey (2 parts). Means eat in the morning and at noon, purification of the bowel comes after 2-3 hours.
Remedy for lowering blood pressure
In a cup mix dandelion jam, fresh beet juice and horseradish (one tablespoon each). Add the juice of one small lemon, whisk. The mixture is taken three times a day, one tablespoon at a time. The course of treatment is 2 months, before continuing the treatment is worth consulting with your general practitioner.
Infusion for the treatment of hepatitis
To prepare the remedy, take dandelion honey, the juice of carrots, horseradish and beets in equal quantities (0.5 cup each). You will also need 2 large lemon and vodka - 15-20 ml.
Ingredients are mixed in a glass, ceramic or enamel bowl, seal the remedy hermetically and place on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator. Take three times a day, ¼ shot (or tablespoon), 30-40 minutes before breakfast, lunch and dinner. The treatment continues for 1.5-2 months. Then take a break for 2-2.5 months and repeat the course.
Soothing tea for insomnia.
To prepare the herbal mixture, you need herbal gatherings, bought in the pharmacy, and honey from dandelions. Since the remedy will have to be taken for a long time, a mix of dry raw materials is made in advance. In a container of sufficient volume mix:
- motherwort herb (10%);
- thyme (5%);
- Plantain leaves (5%);
- valerian root (10%);
- rosehip berries (30%);
- blackberry leaf (40%).
Grind herbs with hands or pestle to obtain grass chaff (flour). The resulting herbal raw material is poured into a jar or a box and used to prepare a healing tea. The remedy is prepared as follows.
A glass glass is placed a tablespoon of grass meal (1 part) and pour just boiling water (20-25 parts). The glass is closed with any lid and leave until the liquid is warm. The tea is filtered and a tablespoon of dandelion honey is stirred in it. Take before bedtime for a month or more.
Infusion to improve bowel function
To prepare the means take dry raw material yarrow and nettle (one tablespoon each). In a thick-walled ceramic vessel herbs steeped with a glass of water, cover tightly and allow to infuse. After 2-2.5 hours add half a shot of dandelion jam and stir the liquid. It is recommended to take the potion 4 times a day, 2 dessert spoons.
Tea for the treatment of liver diseases
Milk thistle and dandelion extract contribute to the recovery of the body in cirrhosis of the liver, poisoning, after surgery. The substances contained in these plants are involved in tissue regeneration processes. To restore the cells of the liver is recommended to add dandelion syrup in black or green tea (tablespoon per glass). In the liquid also add milk thistle infusion or take the powder in a dry form.
Infusion with a cold
With colds, it is important to activate the metabolism and reduce inflammation in the body. For the infusion take a leaf of wormwood simple, linseed, crushed eucalyptus leaf (one teaspoon each). The collection includes sage leaf, rose hips, pine buds, birch leaf (2 parts each). The herbs are crushed and mixed together. To prepare a potion it is enough to take half a shot of herbal flour. Vegetable raw materials are steamed with boiling water in a liter thermos and infused for 3 hours. After that, add 3-4 dessert spoons of dandelion jam and stir the liquid. The remedy is drunk three times a day, half a shot, before meals.
Infusion for the treatment of cholecystitis
To prepare a remedy, you need to buy several medicinal herbs in the pharmacy and brew dandelion honey. The collection includes flowers of immortelle, chamomile, the herb goldwort, St. John's wort and the three-leaved willow. Measure an equal amount of all kinds of plant raw materials, crush and mix. For the broth takes a tablespoon mixture of plants, pour boiling water (200 ml) and insist under a lid for an hour and a half. After the liquid becomes warm, add a spoonful of dandelion honey. The remedy is drunk in the morning before a meal. A new portion is prepared each day, continuing treatment until the condition improves.
With a painful cough that occurs with colds, it is recommended to take honey and wash it down with warm tea. Every 2 hours eat 2 dessert spoons of the syrup until the condition improves.
In the treatment of cold inflammatory diseases accompanied by dry and wet cough, prepare complex herbal mixtures. They include eucalyptus leaf, licorice root, peppermint leaf, thyme, licorice, calendula flowers. A mixture is prepared from dried raw materials. A tablespoon of herbs is brewed in a ceramic mug, insist the liquid for half an hour under a lid and add a tablespoon of dandelion honey. This product is drunk 3-4 times a day, a tablespoon.
Dandelion honey has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and sedative effects. Therefore, folk medicine is actively using this product to improve skin conditions.
Dandelion honey for pigmentation
Massage with dandelion honey is done to whiten age spots. The product is poured into a small cup, dip your fingers into it. Then massage the skin with circular, tapping and stroking movements. The plant extract penetrates the epidermis and promotes its rapid exfoliation and regeneration. This massage is an effective procedure against age spots and pigmentation that appears during pregnancy. In the same way you can bleach freckles.
Mask for fading skin
Several fresh dandelion leaves are placed in a mortar and knead with a pestle, the resulting mass is added a spoonful of boiled cool water. Add the same amount of dandelion honey and stir the ingredients.
The paste is applied to the face in an even layer. After that, lie quietly for 15 minutes, then rinse the mask and apply the cream-hydrates. If the skin is very dry, before applying the paste, the face is lubricated with olive, refined sunflower or corn oil.
A teaspoon of pea flour and the same amount of dandelion honey are thoroughly mixed in a cup and the mixture is applied to the skin covered with blackheads. It is better to do this not locally, where the blackheads have already shown themselves, but on the entire face. After 10-12 minutes the paste is washed off. If the skin after the procedure does not shrink, you can not apply a nourishing cream. The mask has a soothing and anti-inflammatory effect.
Such a mask can be done not only on the face, but also on the decollete area and back. In this case, you will have to prepare a fairly large amount of paste.
Mask for dry and aging skin
Dandelion honey is mixed with unsweetened yogurt in equal parts. Add a teaspoon of oil obtained from wheat germ, thoroughly whip the ingredients of the mixture. On the washed clean skin of the face and decollete zone apply the resulting paste. Oil is left on for 25-30 minutes; the skin is washed and massaged. After the procedure any fat cream is applied.
There are commercially available masks with dandelion honey from manufacturers of medical cosmetics. They contain up to two dozen ingredients. For example, a soothing mask Ziaja Polish cosmetics company is recommended to do in the fall and winter seasons. The actual mask is in a bag and is a clear, viscous liquid of yellow color.
Dandelion honey for hair
To improve the condition of the hair, the head is rinsed with a decoction of leaves and flowers of dandelion (dried raw material). Honey taken internally is an additional remedy. Herbal ingredients can be bought at the drugstore or made on their own. Decoctions and infusions are made according to the manufacturer's recipe indicated on the package.
Harm and contraindications
Honey made from dandelion is not useful for everyone. There are a number of contraindications that prevent the use of the product in food and for treatment.
- It is forbidden to eat honey if you are diabetic.
- Dandelion jam is consumed with great caution if a person is diagnosed with digestive diseases. The substances in the flowers can irritate the mucous membranes of the intestinal tract and stomach.
- The product is excluded from the diet in case of individual allergic reactions, diarrhea, congestion in the gallbladder and duct obstruction.
- Dandelion syrup should not be eaten by people at any stage of obesity, because it contains a large amount of sucrose.
How to store it correctly
Dandelion honey is poured into pre-sterilized jars, packed with airtight plastic lids and stored in the refrigerator or cellar. It is possible to roll up the jars with metal lids. Shelf life is 8-9 months.
If dandelion honey is not intended for long-term storage, it can be stored in plastic containers with lids or glass jars. The jars can be covered with thick paper and tied with twine. Cans and containers should never be left open because water will evaporate readily and the product will harden.
When and how to harvest dandelions for honey
Honey from dandelions is made in late May or early June, when the plant is in mass flowering. In some regions, these flowers appear as early as early May. The harvesting should not be done on city lawns, roadsides, or near businesses. Herbaceous species are good at absorbing heavy metals, including lead. It is better to go out of town and find a field away from businesses and industrial areas.
You will need fresh, clean, just opened baskets of flowers, which are picked without a stem. The stems contain large quantities of bitter, milky juice. Pick on a clear, sunny day. Flowers are best collected in the morning, when the baskets have just opened and are full of fresh, fragrant nectar.
The heads are carefully plucked and stacked on a newspaper sheet or cloth. Then let the raw material sit for 10-15 minutes, so that insects can get out of the flowers. Usually they are small black bugs or flies, which collect nectar in the yellow tubes, densely growing in the flower stalk. If the journey home is short, you should use a ventilated container so that the plants do not overheat and shrivel. At home, the flowers are placed in portions in a colander and rinsed with water. There are recipes in which the authors advise not to wash the raw material, so as not to remove pollen. After preparation, you can proceed to the brewing of honey.
How to make dandelion honey: recipes
Dandelion honey is made with bee honey or sugar syrup. The brewing process does not take much time. Honey is cooked in a metal enamel pan, using a wooden or plastic spoon for stirring. Steel and aluminium pots and tools should not be used, as the active organic substances may react with the metals.
To prepare a liter of honey you need to collect 300-350 flowers. Raw materials are washed under the shower and poured with cold water (1 l). The pan is placed on the stove, turn on low heat and boil dandelions for an hour at a slow boil, under a lid. Then remove the pan and pour the contents on a sieve, under which another vessel is placed. Plant mass is squeezed and discarded. Pour 600 grams of sugar into the broth, stir the syrup, and again put the container on the fire. The liquid, stirring constantly, bring to a boil, then simmer on low heat for at least an hour. 10-15 minutes before the end of cooking squeeze half a fresh lemon into the syrup. Honey is removed from the stove, remove the lid and leave the vessel until it cools. After this, the product is poured into a sterilized jar, hermetically closed with a lid, put in storage.
This recipe differs from the previous one in the order of preparation of raw materials. Harvested baskets (300-400 pieces) are soaked for a day to reduce the bitterness. The water is changed 4-5 times. After a day flowers tossed on a sieve, collect and squeeze, and the water is poured out. In a pot pour 1-1.2 liters of water, boil it and put all the floral raw materials. Bring the liquid to a boil and boil for at least 15 minutes over low heat. After this vessel is removed from the stove, the solution is strained through a sieve. Dandelions squeeze and discard, and from the resulting liquid to make honey. Squeeze the fresh juice of 2 medium-sized lemons and pour 1 kg of sugar into the broth. After thoroughly mixing the ingredients, put the pot on the stove and boil until the liquid takes on the consistency of honey. This takes 50-80 minutes. After boiling, you can add to the honey 15-20 petals of rose hips, which also blooms at this time of year.
In this recipe, dandelion baskets are not washed. The flowers are placed in a small pot and pour 1 liter of hot water. The vessel is closed and left until the liquid cools completely. Then the infusion is filtered, the plant material is removed. Add 1 kg of granulated sugar and boil the syrup for 25-30 minutes. The contents of the pot is stirred constantly, removing the white scum. Before removing from the heat add half a cup of lemon juice. Boiled honey is poured into sterilized jars and they are sealed. Fresh lemon can be replaced with crystallized citric acid.
This product is made from dandelion flowers and natural flower honey collected in the same season. Collect 100-120 baskets and grind them well. For this purpose a blender is suitable, but the best result is obtained by grinding through a meat grinder. The resulting mass is placed in a half-liter glass jar and fill it to the brim with liquid honey heated in a water bath. The components are mixed, the container should be covered with a plastic or screw cap and put in a cool, dark place. In 1.5-2 weeks you will get a delicious product that combines the useful substances of dandelion and the first summer honey.
The taste of dandelion honey is enhanced by oranges. The product turns out fragrant and very tasty. The collected flowers (500 pieces) are washed under running water and laid out on paper towels to dry them slightly. 4 juicy oranges of medium size are washed with a brush, as the fruit will be added to the syrup with the peel. Citrus is cut first into 4 pieces, then into thin slices, across the fibers. In a wide saucepan, put dandelions, orange, and pour water (1.5 liters). Bring the water to a boil and simmer on low heat for at least an hour. Then pour into a pot 1.2 kg of sugar and half a teaspoon of crystal citric acid.
With constant stirring, bring the liquid to a boil and leave it in this state for 30-40 minutes. During this time, the solution will acquire a brownish-orange color and thicken. The finished product is filtered through a sieve, poured into small sterilized jars and hermetically closed with plastic lids. Orange honey with dandelions can be rolled under lids.
Interesting Facts about Dandelions
- Dandelion medicinal is used not only as a medicinal plant, but also used in food. There are many recipes for dishes that mention the leaves and flowers of the plant as ingredients. But for medicinal purposes, the root and the milky juice contained in the stalks are used more often.
- The leaves of the plant are added to salads. Thus, in grocery stores in Europe you can buy semi-finished products called "pisanli". To make them, dandelion leaves are soaked for 35-40 minutes in a strong salt solution to remove the bitterness. Interestingly, the youngest, juiciest leaves are almost not bitter.
- Leaves can be put into spring green soups and borsches. The bitter greens feel like a spice and give dishes an unusual but pleasant taste. The leaves can be boiled and added to second courses just like spinach and other greens.
- Dandelion inflorescences have been used to make wine in Great Britain since ancient times. This mildly alcoholic beverage has a peculiar tart taste. After fermentation the drink is clarified. Well-made dandelion wine has a flavor similar to that of champagne. Dandelion flowers, raisins, and sugar are used to make it. Often orange or fresh orange juice is added, and tangerines and other citrus fruits are found in modern recipes. Dandelion flowers are also used to make other spirits - sweet liqueurs and elixirs.
- The plant's roasted roots are an excellent substitute for coffee. Today it is used by those who seek a healthier, more sustainable diet, but centuries ago this drink was not uncommon in European countries, especially in rural areas.
- Dandelion leaves are pickled with vinegar and fermented like cabbage. This product is added to second courses, gravy, soups, or eaten as an appetizer to alcoholic beverages.
- All parts of the plant are used in Chinese cooking. Dandelion roots, flowers, and leaves can be main or supplementary ingredients.
- An infusion of dandelion roots is used in veterinary medicine. It is a good sedative for cats in preparation for a trip or on the eve of a visit to the vet. A few drops of the infusion will be enough to calm the animal down.
«Important: All information on this site is provided solely for introductory for informational purposes. Before applying any recommendations, please consult with a specialist. specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."