Almond flour: useful properties and uses
Almonds are the stone kernel grown in Northern and Western Asia. It is used to make flour, unique in its taste and nutritional qualities. The product has beneficial effects on the human body, but has a number of contraindications, which should be adhered to.
- What is almond flour
- Composition and calories
- Useful properties of almond flour
- General benefits
- For Men
- For Women
- If Pregnant
- When breastfeeding
- For kids
- For slimming
- Almond flour in cosmetology
- Harm and Contraindications
- How to Make Almond Flour in a Home Environment
- How to Properly Store Almond Flour
- What can be made of almond flour: Recipes
- Biscuit "Gioconda
- What to Substitute for Almond Flour in Baking
What is almond flour
Powdered almonds are used in cooking and have proven to be an effective cosmetic product.
In its qualities, almond flour can replace wheat flour. Its unique flavor and nutty aroma will give any dish a special spice and enrich the nutrients.
- Regular flour. Grinding grains after soaking in boiling water.
- Partially skimmed. Cold-pressed from oil, dried under warm air, and ground.
- If the kernels are cleaned, the flour will turn out white. It is suitable for desserts and in confectionery production. The unpeeled mass comes out with a creamy hue. Suitable for snacks.
Composition and calories
The caloric value per 100 g of flour is 600 kcal.
The product contains:
- Vitamins: A, B (except B3 and B12), C, E, PP, carotene, niacin.
- Trace elements: potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, sulfur, phosphorus, chlorine.
- Iron, iodine, copper, fluoride.
- Fatty acids: linoleic, oleic.
Useful properties of almond meal
When the seeds are processed, absolutely all components are preserved in the flour. Products on its basis are prepared faster, since the powder is considered ready. Kernels contain a lot of oil, which retains moisture in baked goods, due to which it turns out delicate and retains nutritional properties. The product does not lose its qualities for several days.
Almond food affects the nervous system, restores visual acuity, protects the body from diseases and infections, reduces cholesterol levels and affects the human metabolism, speeding it up.
The product is used for urolithiasis, cancer (initial stage), kidney problems, liver disease, heart disease. Antioxidants remove toxins from the body and relieve painful ulcers.
At a mature age, a man's libido declines. Almond powder controls testosterone levels and increases sex drive, increasing stamina.
Almond flour, even in small quantities, saturates with nutrients that improve the appearance and health of hair and nails. The skin of the face acquires a natural color and becomes elastic.
Vitamins of group A and C support the work of internal organs and strengthen the body after childbirth. The baby-to-be gets all the nutrients needed for proper development.
During lactation, nuts have a positive effect on the mammary glands. Breast milk is enriched with vitamins and becomes more saturated. However, you should not go overboard with them.
The vitamin complex and high protein content in the seeds increase the overall immunity of the young body, strengthens the nervous system (stress relief, increased brain activity).
When losing weight
People prone to obesity and those suffering from diabetes find it useful to include almond products in their diet. The low starch and gluten content allows eating sweets without fear of gaining weight. Nutrients and minerals contribute to the production of insulin, lower cholesterol and protect blood vessels.
Almond flour in cosmetology
The substances in the kernel have a beneficial effect on the skin of the face, hair and nail plates. Almond oil products have moisturizing, rejuvenating and cleansing properties. It is used to make masks, lotions, creams for oily, dry and combination skin. Means help cope with teenage acne, reduce scarring and smooth skin and fine lines, stimulate blood circulation and cell regeneration.
Harms and contraindications
The use of almond powder will not bring harm to human health, if you include it in the diet and comply with the norm of daily consumption. The high caloric content of the flour product can cause rapid weight gain, GI problems, dizziness, weakness. The use of flour is not recommended for people with an individual intolerance to the components, allergies to almonds and heart problems. The seeds can be sweet and bitter. The latter can be fatal (for a child, 10 pieces are enough, for an adult - 50 pieces).
How to make almond flour at home
To make your own, you will need:
- whole almonds (3-5 pcs. of bitter seeds for spiciness per 500 g of sweet);
- boiling water;
Almond flour can be made in several ways:
- Whole kernels are poured over boiling water for 30 minutes to 2 hours. The water is drained, the skin is removed and dried in a dry frying pan, after which the seeds are ground. Nuts are washed and soaked in boiling water for a few minutes. Put them on a paper towel and let them drain, then remove the skin. Sprinkle almonds on a baking tray and spread evenly on the surface, place in an oven for 20 minutes at 90 ° C on minimum mode. Every 5-10 minutes shake and turn the tray.
- Transfer the almonds to a chopper and grind to a powdery consistency. Sift the mass and grind again coarse particles. If overmilled, oil can be released in the process. Lumps will appear in the powder.
If you want to make a biscuit or cream, you can not peel the skins. Then the powder will have a delicate creamy color. It will not affect the taste.
How to properly store almond flour
Thanks to production processing and special packaging, purchased almond powder can be stored for up to 12 months in a dark, dry room. Homemade flour is recommended for full use, as it loses its flavor and nutrients during storage. The powder is stored in a glass, closed container for 2-5 months in a place protected from sunlight (warehouse, cupboard, freezer).
What you can make from almond flour: recipes
With the help of the powder, you can prepare any baked goods and flour salads. It acts as a thickener, breading and a base for dough. Mostly baked goods and desserts, as well as creams and fillings that fill candies and puff pastries.
- almond flour - 125 g;
- sugar - 85 gr;
- vanillin - 2 packs;
- chicken egg - 2 pcs;
- salt - 1 tsp;
- food colorings.
Mix the eggs with salt, sugar and whisk until homogeneous. Add vanilla sugar and continue beating the egg mixture until it forms peaks. Sifted flour is gently introduced into the mixture and mixed from bottom to top. The foam should not settle.
The dough is divided into three bowls, each of which is poured into the dye or cocoa powder. In a pastry bag put the dough and squeeze it out on a baking tray lined with parchment. Place the pieces in the preheated oven and leave for 30 minutes in the oven turned off. The two rounds are joined together with a filling of whipped cream (they can be mixed with cocoa powder or chocolate), press a little and let cool completely.
- Egg - 2 pcs.
- Sugar - 175 gr.
- Butter - 110 gr.
- Cream 33% - 50 ml.
- Almonds - 50 gr.
- Flour - 100 gr.
Whites are separated from the yolks, add sugar, cream and cook on the stove until a thick cream is formed, without bringing it to a boil. It is important to constantly whip the mass. The pan is cooled on a water bath, without stopping to whip. Butter is added to the cream, whisked and put in the fridge.
Whites are beaten to stiff peaks and sugar is added. Almonds are dried on a dry griddle, but not allowing them to burn (even a slight smell of burning can spoil the taste of the product). In a blender, grind the kernels and add to the whites, the mass is whipped for 2-3 minutes.
The tray is lined with parchment, on which form two cakes of 20 cm in diameter. Bake both layers in the oven at 175 C and change the layers after 10 minutes. After 10-12 minutes, sprinkle the finished cakes with sugar and turn them over until they have cooled completely. Remove the parchment, smear the first cake with cream, put the second. Cover the whole cake with cream, including the sides, and decorate it with almond petals. Put the cake in the fridge for 6-8 hours.
- Flour - 250 g.
- Baking powder - 1 soup.
- Egg - 4 eg.
- Olive oil - 120 ml.
- Water - 125 ml.
- Sesame (decoration).
Mix dry ingredients with liquid ingredients and combine. Remove lumps with a whisk and leave to rest for 15 minutes. Form lined with parchment, pour the batter. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Bake the bread at 200 ° C for 50 minutes.
- almond powder - 200g;
- melted butter - 120g;
- sugar - 150 gr;
- egg - 2 pcs;
- yolks - 2 pcs;
- baking powder - 0,5 tsp;
- salt - 0,5 tsp.
- chocolate - 40 g;
- Butter (softened) - 25 g;
- almond petals (for decoration).
Take all the ingredients out of the fridge beforehand. Beat the butter with a mixer until it has a snow-white structure, add the sugar and continue beating for 2 minutes. In a separate bowl separate the yolks from the whites and add to the butter, continuing to beat. After 1 minute add chicken eggs and beat to a creamy consistency. Add flour, baking powder, salt and mix thoroughly.
Form is lined with parchment (bottom and sides). Bake the cake in a pan heated to 170 ° C for about an hour.
To check the readiness of the product, pierce the middle with a wooden skewer. The stick should be dry. Let the cake cool completely and take off the form. For the chocolate glaze, melt chocolate, mix with butter and pour the cupcake. It is decorated with almond petals (thinly slice the kernel).
To prepare the pancake batter take:
- egg - 2 pcs;
- warm milk - 150 ml;
- warm water - 300 ml;
- flour - 350 gr;
- vegetable oil - 50 ml
- sugar - 60 g;
- leavening agent - 0.5 units.
Dry ingredients are mixed separately from the liquid components and combined. Beat the dough until a homogeneous consistency and leave to rest for 15-20 minutes. A pan is greased and heated. Stir the pastry once more and pour onto the pan with a small ladle. Each side takes about 1-2 minutes.
- salt - 1 tsp;
- sugar - 1 tbsp;
- butter - 100 gr;
- egg - 1pc;
- Cold liquid (milk or water) - 30 ml.
- rum or liquor - 50 ml;
- flour - 25g;
- 25 gr. raisins
- poppy seed - 300 gr;
- sugar - 180 gr
- butter - 50 g
- vanillin - 1 packet
- egg yolk - 1 pc;
- egg white - 2 pcs.
- Flour powder is mixed with sugar and salt, add softened butter and egg. A thin stream of cold liquid is introduced and the dough is kneaded. The resulting ball is covered with clingfilm or placed in a plastic bag to cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- For the filling, the poppy seeds are milled in a blender to bring out their flavor. Then sugar, powdered sugar and vanilla are added. Melted butter is added to the mixture and raisins soaked in rum. Separately, whites are beaten until stiff foam and gradually introduced into the filling.
- The cooled dough is divided into 2 equal parts and rolled out in 1 cm thick layers. A mold is lined with parchment. Lay the first layer on the bottom, spread the filling and cover with the 2nd layer.
- Grease the cake with egg yolk and bake it for 30-35 minutes at 190°C.
- almond powder - 150 g;
- butter (baked) - 40 gr;
- eggs - 4 pcs;
- Whites - 4 pcs;
- sugar - 4 tbsp.
The oven must be preheated to 180°C.
In a mixer beat eggs with sugar until frothy (on average up to 10 minutes) and add pre-sifted flour. It is important to mix the mixture gently with a silicone spatula from bottom to top. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites and sugar until stiff peaks and gradually add them to the dough. Pour in the butter and knead until homogeneous.
For baking you can use any form: silicone or split bottomless form. Layer the bottom and edges with parchment and pour the dough. The biscuit is cooked for 20-30 minutes. Do not open the lid about 15 minutes, so that the product does not settle. You can check for readiness with a wooden skewer (when you poke the biscuit, it remains dry and without sticking dough).
"Gioconda" is taken out of the oven and let stand for 5-7 minutes, then it is separated (with a knife around the sides), remove the form and cool completely. Food wrap the baking film and leave in the refrigerator overnight.
To prepare the almond cheesecakes will need:
- egg - 2 pcs;
- cottage cheese - 500 gr;
- salt - 1 tsp;
- vegetable oil - 4 tbsp;
- sugar - 1 tbsp;
- Almond flour - 250 gr.
In a shallow bowl mix the egg, cottage cheese and butter. In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients. Combine the mixtures and knead the dough. Sprinkle the table with powder, prepare a bowl with cold water for the hands, oil the pan and heat it.
Wet your hands and form cheesecakes (pucks), dip them in flour, shake off the excess, and fry in a pan until crispy brown. Finish in the oven at 180°C for 6 minutes. Serve cheesecakes with sour cream and berries.
- butter - 60 gr;
- one egg - 1 pc;
- almond powder - 75 gr (more may be needed);
- granulated sugar - 50 gr;
- cottage cheese (corn) - 85 gr;
- cottage cheese - 50 gr.
- In a shallow bowl grind cottage cheese, add sugar, cheese and butter, stir thoroughly, add the egg and almond powder. The consistency of the dough comes out thick sour cream. The mass is not homogeneous (if you want to stir it with a blender).
- Heat a waffle iron. Brush the surface with vegetable oil. The dough is placed evenly in an electric waffle iron and baked until golden crust (on average 2-3 minutes on both sides). You can serve the almond waffles with jam, cream and fresh berries.
What you can substitute for almond flour in baked goods
If you can not buy almond powder, you can replace it with wheat flour. However, the consistency and flavor of the finished dish will be very different.
If a nutty flavor is mandatory in the products, add to the dough:
- almond and nut butter;
- Amaretto or Disaronno liqueur;
- vanilla concentrate;
- ground walnuts (1:2, where 1 is part nuts, 2 wheat flour).
These components will bring the flavor of baked goods closer to the original, will retain the tenderness and softness characteristic of almond powder.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only purposes. Before applying any recommendations, consult a health care professional. specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."