Goat meat: useful properties and recipes for cooking
Goats are one of the first domesticated animals, so goat meat is known to people for about 10 thousand years. Over these years, the meat and fat of goats have been well studied, identified their properties, harm and benefit. With goat meat learned to cook delicious dishes. The meat of these animals is an interesting and unique product, which will be discussed in detail in this article.
- What is the difference between goat meat and lamb meat
- Composition and calories
- What is useful for goat meat
- General benefits
- For women
- For men
- While pregnant
- For breastfeeding
- For children
- What is goat fat good for?
- The medicinal uses of goat fat
- How goat fat is used in cosmetology
- Harm and contraindications
- How to choose and store goat meat
- How to get rid of goat meat smell
- How to cook goat meat: Recipes
- Goat meat stew with potatoes
- Goat meat cooked in wine
- Goat meat with nuts
- Goat meatballs and sauce
- Interesting facts about goats
What is the difference between goat meat and lamb meat
Goat meat has a number of significant differences from lamb meat:
- The color of goat meat is much darker, while lamb meat has a light red hue of fibers.
- Lamb does not have a specific smell, which is the main difference between goat meat.
- Lamb meat is fatty and oily, goat meat, on the contrary, is drier, as it has almost no subcutaneous and intermuscular fat.
- Lamb has a shorter shank.
- The taste of goat meat also has a different flavor, it is more bitter and dry, reminiscent of beef in dryness, while lamb is fatty, juicy and very tasty.
Composition and calories
In 100 grams of meat contains 109 kcal, as well as 28% of the daily requirement of protein and 3% of the daily requirement of fat.
The meat contains B vitamins, as well as sodium, cobalt, potassium, calcium, iron, iodine, magnesium, sodium, chromium, zinc, fluorine and phosphorus. Based on this, we can conclude that goat meat is useful because of the high content of trace elements. And some substances such as cobalt, phosphorus, iron and chromium are in the meat in large quantities, almost filling the daily requirement of the body in them.
How goat meat is useful
General health benefits
Long experience of meat consumption confirms its useful properties. Despite its low fat content, the meat is considered dietary and is used in various weight loss programs along with rabbit meat. Fat from goat meat is considered safe because it is fully processed by the human body and is not deposited in its tissues. Therefore, goat meat helps to improve metabolism and gastrointestinal function.
With the constant use of goat meat, blood vessels are cleared of cholesterol plaques, and the risk of their recurrence is minimized. That is why it is recommended to eat goat meat for people suffering from cardiovascular diseases.
Goat meat effectively fights swelling that occurs due to poor excretion of fluid from the body. Regular consumption of meat is the prevention of Alzheimer's disease. Joint function is improved and the risk of joint disease is reduced due to increased production of chondroblasts. Their formation occurs due to assimilation by the body of all the useful substances of meat. The maximum benefit can be obtained if you choose the product of a young animal, preferably neutered.
- Due to its dietary properties, goat meat is the most suitable for women, especially for those with excess body weight. The meat completely fills the female body's need for protein and other micronutrients.
- Goat meat will help restore the health of hair and nails. Hair will become less dry, nail plate - stronger.
- The high iron content of meat will help women during their menstrual cycle to recover faster, relieve pain and normalize the cycle.
- Women are more susceptible to stress, fatigue and depression than men. The high content of B vitamins in the meat of the animal will help to cope with fatigue, headaches, improve mood and restore the emotional background.
Meat is also good for men, especially for those who smoke. The product has a positive effect on liver function, clears cells of nicotine and alcohol poisoning. The meat also increases potency and improves the function of the genital system, relieves stress and tension after a hard day's work. Goat meat helps to restore connective tissues, especially necessary after bone fractures.
Pregnant women need to consume a huge amount of vitamins, as they are necessary for her body and the baby. Goat meat fully compensates for the need of the body of a pregnant woman in vitamins, has a positive effect on lactation.
Women often experience problems with the elimination of fluid from the body, they have swelling of the legs, arms or face. Goat meat effectively combats this problem by draining stagnant fluid and reducing the risk of swelling.
Meat also helps women cope with such popular problems during pregnancy as loss of teeth, brittle hair and nails, dry skin.
For proper development during breastfeeding, the baby should get all the vitamins and micronutrients from breast milk. Woman in turn gets them from food. Especially important at this time, vitamin B, it helps the woman to recover quickly after childbirth and improve milk production and quality. Protein in the meat helps the baby develop properly, avoiding internal diseases, stunted development and growth.
Goat meat is easy to digest, does not cause allergic reactions in the child.
Children can begin to introduce goat meat into the diet from 12 months of age. It does not cause allergic reactions, is easily digested by the child's body, since it contains a small amount of fat. It is useful for children, as it increases immunity and resistance to disease.
And goat fat itself is successfully and effectively used in children's medicine.
For weight loss
As already mentioned, goat meat is considered dietary. Its fats, which are contained in small quantities, are fully processed and are not deposited under the skin. The meat helps "expel" fluid from the human body and speeds up metabolism, which is important for weight loss.
Even fried goat meat is not harmful, because it contains the least amount of cholesterol compared to other species.
How is goat fat useful?
Goat fat contains substances that stimulate the immune system and have an antioxidant effect. Most often the fat is used as a component for ointments, but there are recipes with ingestion. The composition of goat fat includes:
- Polyunsaturated and saturated fats, proteins. It is the fatty acids in the composition that have an anti-inflammatory effect and excellent treatment of rheumatism.
- B group vitamins, C, E, D. Goat fat contains a rare vitamin B 13 which has a rejuvenating effect on the skin. This effect is due to the synthesis of proteins and nucleic acids.
- Potassium, magnesium and manganese.
- Coenzymes, antioxidants and hypoallergenic casein.
Consistent consumption of goat fat reduces the risk of cancer.
Fat is an excellent treatment for gout, various diseases of the musculoskeletal system. These include arthritis, arthrosis, rheumatism, osteochondrosis. Goat fat is used to treat neuralgic diseases. He effectively fights pathologies and infections of the respiratory tract.
The use of goat fat for medicinal purposes
- Goat fat is used for coughs and bronchitis in children. In diseases of the upper respiratory tract, the fat can be used internally. Here is one of the recipes based on goat milk and fat. The milk should be slightly heated, add to it 1 teaspoon of honey and the same amount of fat. Mix everything. Take the medicine for 7 days before going to bed. After taking it lie down and cover with a blanket, if the cough is very strong - you can take the medicine twice a day.
- Fat can be rubbed with respiratory diseases, it will be an additional therapy. For the procedure, you need to heat the fat, but do not make it scalding. Rub it into the lung area on the back, chest. Rub the medicine completely, also to enhance the effect in the fat you can add 2-3 drops of turpentine.
- When exacerbations of chronic bronchitis is prepared a remedy based on the fat with the addition of propolis. The components are mixed in a water bath and stored in the refrigerator after cooling. Rub the skin with a piece of medicine, straight from the fridge, without additional heating. Rub 3 times a day for about a week. Important: Before therapy you should consult a pediatrician or therapist, as there are contraindications, the most important of them - allergic reactions.
- Goat fat can cure purulent wounds. To treat them, you need to mix the following components: fat, onions and salt. The proportions of products should be the same. Grate onions with a fine grater to a state of puree and mix with the other ingredients, the fat does not need to be melted. Apply the ointment in an even layer on a gauze bandage and apply to the pus wound. The compress should be changed every day, and once every one hour the bandage should be removed to allow oxygen to the wound. The ointment disinfects the wound and promotes rapid healing.
- Goat fat effectively cures gastritis. You need to take goat fat in the amount of 500 ml, honey - 500 ml, aloe juice - 20 ml. The medicine should be taken twice a day before meals 20 ml.
Goat fat enemas help to gently cleanse the intestines without traumatizing the mucosa.
In addition to folk recipes, goat fat is part of many modern preparations. With its content developed creams against hemorrhoids. The cream is sold at any pharmacy, without a prescription doctor. It has a mild and effective effect, without causing side effects and allergic reactions. Such remedies are able to eliminate burning, pain, itching and inflammation in the problem area.
Goat fat is included in a cream to strengthen joints, treat arthritis and arthrosis - Hondrokrem. Cream with fat relieves inflammation and pain in the joints, relieves the effects of injuries and sprains. Painful places are treated at night, after this place should be wrapped, as warming will accelerate the therapeutic effect.
How goat fat is used in cosmetology
The main function of the fat is a rejuvenating effect. That is why it is included in many creams with anti-aging effects.
Anti-aging creams have an effect on the skin thanks to coenzyme Q10. This unique substance is essentially an antioxidant. It is produced in the human body, but applying a cream with coenzyme increases the effect of rejuvenation. After age 32, coenzyme is almost ceased to be produced, and this is where the cream, which includes goat fat, comes to the rescue.
Creams with goat fat, in addition to tightening properties, help relieve swelling, remove small inflammations. They reduce the depth of wrinkles, whiten the skin and saturate it with vitamins. Goat fat based masks and creams can be prepared at home.
- Owners of dry skin on the face and hands should apply a mask to cleansed skin once every two days. For this you need to take 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of melted fat and 4-5 drops of lemon juice. Mix all the ingredients and apply a mask for 20 minutes, after they should be washed off with warm water.
- To remove fine lines and make the skin smoother, you can make a unique cream, which is stored in the refrigerator for a long time. Melt the goat fat, the result should be 50 ml, to it pour 1 teaspoon of sea buckthorn oil, 1 teaspoon of essential oil, half a teaspoon of calendula tincture. The cream can be applied 1-3 times a week on clean skin, treatment time - 25 minutes.
- Rejuvenating cream based on Cleopatra's advice. You need to take large leaves of aloe (must be an adult plant) and put them in the refrigerator for 3 days. Then squeeze 2 tablespoons of juice from them and mix with one tablespoon of rose water and one teaspoon of honey. Mix everything and bring to a boil in a water bath. Take the mixture off the heat and pour in half a glass of melted goat fat. You should get a creamy mass. The cream can be used on the face, hands and décolleté area. Rose water can be spotted with an infusion of rose leaves or essential rose oil.
Harm and contraindications
The main contraindication is individual intolerance. At the first signs of an allergic reaction of the body, you should refuse to take the product.
Goat fat has diuretic properties, so it is contraindicated for people with kidney, liver and gallbladder diseases. People who often suffer from diarrhea should refuse to take it orally. Fat is contraindicated in children under the age of 6 months.
Fat is forbidden to people in the period of exacerbation of stomach ulcers, people suffering from blood diseases, because the product dilutes it. It is contraindicated during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Meat has no contraindications. If it is stored and cooked correctly, it is harmless to the human body.
How to choose and store goat meat
- It is better to buy goat meat at the market, where it is always fresh. Natural and fresh meat has a red color, it is not weathered and not dried out. After heat treatment it is much lighter in color. To the touch, the fillet should not be slimy and loose in consistency. After pressing on the flesh the deformed surface should quickly return to its former shape. There must be no blotches in the meat and the fillets must be uniform.
- Unscrupulous sellers try to pass off mutton as goat meat. One should be very attentive to fat: goat meat contains little of it, accumulated in the peritoneum, while there is practically no blubber under the skin. The color of the fat should not be yellow, white and creamy shades are acceptable.
- The meat of goats has a slight smell. But if this smell is strong and corrosive, it is worth refusing such a purchase.
To ensure that the smell does not spoil the meat, you should initially take care of this when taking care of the animal. When removing the skin from the carcass, make sure that its outer part does not come into contact with the meat, otherwise the smell of animal sweat will remain. Hands after skinning should be thoroughly washed with soap and water to remove the smell of the animal from your hands.
Like any other meat, it is better to cook goat meat at once, as it makes the dish tastier and more fragrant. But if necessary, the meat is separated from the bones and stored in the freezer at a temperature not lower than -18 degrees.
How to get rid of goat meat smell
To remove the unpleasant smell from the meat, it should be pre-soaked in water, cooked in two broths, pouring it out and changing the water. On the third broth, the meat can be eaten. Spices, bay leaf, rosemary should be added to the water where the meat is boiled. This helps to effectively eliminate extraneous odors.
If the meat is to be baked or roasted, it must be marinated for at least 24 hours. And if you add a glass of white wine to the marinade, there will be no smell. You can use unusual ways of marinating, which will completely remove the unpleasant smell of meat. The most accessible of them is marinating in hot water. To do this, you need to cut the meat in small pieces, put it in a dish, cover the top with rings of onion in an even layer. Season the meat with salt, pepper and spices and pour boiling water on it for 30 minutes. After draining the water. Now the meat is ready for further cooking.
Pomegranate juice marinade helps to get rid of any strong odor and aftertaste of meat. For 1 kilogram of goat meat you need to take 300 ml of pomegranate juice, 2-3 cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon of crushed coriander or its grains, a little salt. Mix all the ingredients and leave in a cool place for 3-4 hours. The resulting meat is odorless and tasteless, the fibers soften and become much juicier and more fragrant. Meat under a marinade of pomegranate juice is considered a delicacy.
How to cook goat meat: recipes
When the meat is properly processed, goat meat dishes turn out extremely tasty and nutritious. Meals with it are rarely found on the table, because goat meat is not always possible to buy at the market. It is prepared in the homes of hunters or people who keep goats themselves.
The peculiarity of cooking the meat is that it should be marinated, no matter what dish will be made of it. Cooking time can increase up to 3-4 hours, depending on the age of the individual. The meat can be cooked on the stove, in the oven, in a multicooker or on the fire.
Goat meat stew with potatoes
Young meat has no smell and taste, and in combination with potatoes can conquer anyone. For the recipe you will need:
- 1.5-2 kg of goat meat;
- potatoes, young ones are better;
- bay leaf - 5 pieces;
- water - 3 cups;
- red pepper - 0,5 teaspoon;
The meat should be thoroughly washed, pour cold water and let stand for about an hour. Then cut it into small pieces, remove large bones, small bones can be left. Pepper the meat, do not salt it yet. On a heated frying pan pour oil and put the meat. Fry it for 15-20 minutes over medium heat. Then pour 2 cups of warm water into the meat and stew it with the lid on until the water disappears completely. Then put salt and 2 bay leaves. After pour another glass of water and boil it completely. Total time of stewing meat - one hour.
While the meat is stewing, you need to prepare the potatoes. To do this, peel it, dry it, cut it into thick circles and cook it in salted water with a bay leaf until tender.
When serving, lay the flavorful and juicy meat on top of the potatoes.
Goat meat cooked in wine
For cooking you will need:
- meat - 1 kg;
- dry white wine - 2 cups;
- Garlic - 2 cloves;
- medium size bell peppers - 3 pieces;
- olive oil - 180 grams;
- the juice of one lemon;
Wash the meat in cold water, then cut it into small pieces and fry in a pan without adding oil. It will be fried in its own juice. As soon as the meat becomes golden, pour wine into it. The meat should be stewed for about half an hour. In another frying pan, fry in olive oil the finely chopped garlic. Then add it to the meat. In the frying pan, where the garlic was fried, put out and fry the pepper, then add it to the meat. All you need to stir and pour the juice of the lemon. First let everything stew on high heat for 5-7 minutes, then turn down the heat and let the meat stew until the meat is ready and the liquid has partially evaporated.
The rest of the olive oil after the pepper and garlic warm up and add to the meat. Just 2-3 minutes and the meat can be served with any side dish.
Veal with nuts
For the dish you need to prepare:
- 600 grams of meat;
- 4-5 medium-sized heads of onions;
- A cup of peeled walnuts;
- 2 cloves garlic;
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds;
- coriander greens;
- 1 teaspoon of hop suneli mixture;
- wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
It is better to choose thicker goat meat, it should be washed and cut into medium-sized pieces. Put them in a deep pan with a bay leaf and stew over low heat in its own juice. Part of this juice should be poured into a separate bowl, later it will be needed more.
After 15 minutes, add onions to the meat and fry. The meat should be salted and wine vinegar should be poured in. While the meat is stewing in the vinegar, prepare the nuts. Pass them through a mincer and mix with spices. Pour the mixture with juice, which stood out when roasting meat. It should be poured back into the meat and stew until cooked for about 15 minutes.
Goat meatballs with sauce
For cooking you will need:
- 100 grams of meat;
- some wheat bread, about 50 grams;
- milk - 30 ml;
- one small onion;
- bean puree - 150 grams;
- clarified butter - 1 teaspoon;
- tomato paste or hot ketchup - 100 grams;
- some cheese and breadcrumbs;
- Greens, pepper and salt to taste.
Pass the meat and bread soaked in milk through a meat grinder. In the mass add salt and pepper, chopped onion and water. The total weight of water should not exceed 10% of the weight of meat. This minced meat should be divided into pieces, formed into balls and baked on a baking tray for 7-10 minutes.
A pan should be lightly oiled and mashed beans should be placed on it. It can be mashed peas or bean. Place meatballs in the mashed potatoes, pour the sauce on them and sprinkle with cheese and croutons. Put the meatballs back in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
When ready, take out the dish, pour the butter and sprinkle with chopped greens. The meatballs can be served with grits or potato garnish.
Interesting facts about goats
- Scientists believe that goats were domesticated in the Middle East about 10,000 years ago. Goats are the only animals that do not suffer from tuberculosis, cancer and are not carriers of parasites.
- Goats can easily withstand extreme heat or frost, are able to graze on scarce pasture, but the wet climate is very difficult for them.
- They can get used to people and act as a "tame" animal, if people treat them well - they feel it. In addition, goats are by nature very curious, they can swallow small objects in order to know their taste.
- One London publication claims that goats' bleating has an accent. If an animal moves to a different place, getting older, its voice changes. And animals in the same herd adapt to each other, and their voices become the same.
Goats are useful in many ways; they give wool, nutritious and wholesome milk, fat and meat. Goat meat can compete in its nutritional value with pork, poultry and beef. And when the meat is processed properly, the dishes are delicious, without odor and flavor. Consuming regularly the products of this animal, you can maintain health, beauty and youth for many years.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only. purposes. Before applying any recommendations, consult your health care professional. specialist before applying any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."