Olive Oil: composition, useful properties and uses
Any vegetable oil is of great benefit to the human body. First of all such products are irreplaceable sources of natural fats, vitamin components and other necessary elements for full vital activity. Although this group of products is very diverse on store shelves today, most customers purchase olive tree fruit oil.
- How olive oil is made
- Types of olive oil
- Extra virgin
- Raffinated or unrefined is better.
- Why is olive oil bitter?
- What is the difference between olive and sunflower oils?
- Composition and Calories
- What is useful for olive oil
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- When pregnant
- For breastfeeding
- For children
- The benefits and harms of olive oil on an empty stomach
- How to take olive oil for weight loss
- Olive oil in medicine
- For diabetes
- For pancreatitis
- For Gastritis
- For bowel
- For constipation
- For gout
- For colitis
- For the liver
- For hemorrhoids
- Pri cholecystitis
- Folk medicine recipes based on olive oil
- Olive Oil in cosmetology
- Hair Masks
- Face Masks
- Olive oil for eyelashes and eyebrows
- For hands and nails
- Can I fry on olive oil?
- Hazards and contraindications
- Can I Give Olive Oil to Dogs?
- How to Choose and Where to Store Olive Oil
- How to check the authenticity
- Interesting facts about olive oil
Such a high popularity of this type of vegetable oil is due to a number of factors: the unique properties of the product, the wide possibilities of its use in a variety of fields, high safety qualities. Therefore, olive oil deserves to be better acquainted with its merits, against which small disadvantages seem insignificant.
How is olive oil made
Modern olive oil production does not differ much from the ways that have been used for centuries. And this feature is due to the fact that it is the ancient technology allows to get the most useful product.
Greece is considered the homeland of this oil-bearing crop, where even today the most unique varieties of vegetable oil are produced. Olive trees are well established in the subtropical regions of the Mediterranean, in the southern areas of the Black Sea zone, in the north of India and in Iran. The crop also grows in South America with a warm subtropical climate. Interestingly enough, the olive tree is noted for its considerable longevity: there are specimens whose biography amounts to more than five hundred years.
To obtain a valuable vegetable oil used mature olive tree fruit. To preserve all the useful qualities of the product, a manual method of pressing the fruit is used. This is a very labor-intensive variant, and therefore the resulting product is especially valued. This kind of oil not only has a pleasant taste, but also does not burn during cooking. True, labor costs increase the cost of such a product.
Today, advanced methods are used in the production of natural oils.
- Pressing is the mechanical pressing of pre-crushed raw materials.
- Centrifugation consists in the primary purification of olive fruit with subsequent passing through the machine. This treatment results in a homogenized mass.
- Extraction. This technique involves the use of organic solvents to obtain a product with minimal fat content.
These are the preliminary stages of preparation of raw materials. After all, the quality of the final product is affected by the level of content of certain impurities. They affect the taste characteristics, color, shelf life of the product. For this reason, the purification stage of olive fruit, that is, refinement, includes bleaching, hydration, neutralization, deodorization of the original raw material.
Only after a complete cycle of preparation the raw material is sent to the final stage - production of oil. Two techniques are used in modern production.
- Cold pressing consists in processing the plant material by pressing. The temperature does not exceed 40ºC. This method allows obtaining a product with all the useful elements. High-quality varieties of olive oil are expensive, but have a significant disadvantage - short shelf life.
- Hot-pressing. This technology allows high temperatures (up to 120ºC). Therefore, many useful compounds simply volatilize during the processing of raw materials. But most of the nutrients remain intact. Oil obtained by hot-pressing, has better flavor characteristics. That is why it is a product used by culinary chefs for cooking a wide variety of dishes. The obvious advantage of this kind of vegetable oil is a long shelf life.
Types of olive oil
From the description of the technologies used in modern production of olive oil, it is easy to understand which varieties should be given preference. There are two olive oil brands in the range of our sales facilities worthy of high praise.
Extra virgin is unrefined, which means it is the most expensive oil. Nutritionists recommend that patients with pathologies of the liver, stomach, cardiovascular system include in their diet dishes with the addition of extra virgin olive oil. It is easy to recognize a high quality product by its characteristic bitterness. There are several varieties of Virgin olive.
This oil can be seen as a kind of counterpart to the previous variety, since it is made by a second extraction. Both high temperatures and solvents (mostly hexane) are used in the production process. The product from the cake is predominantly found in the trade network. The budget cost of this type of oil contributes to the growth of its popularity among buyers. Of course, this is a plus, but we must take into account that for the sake of profit unscrupulous producers often dilute the olive product with cheap oil from rapeseed.
What kind of oil is better: unrefined or refined?
Considering all of the above, it is not difficult to understand what type of oil will bring maximum benefits. Undoubtedly, the leader by positive properties is the unrefined product, obtained in the process of cold pressing.
The technique of hot-pressing allows obtaining products which are by far cheaper, but such varieties of oil do not have such an impressive set of useful qualities. But for cooking delicious food, they are most suitable.
Of course, there are a number of criteria by which we can determine the pros and cons of refined and unrefined types of olive oil. But one thing is easy to understand: a quality product will always be expensive. After all, oil with high characteristics is the result of manual labor.
Why is olive oil bitter?
In a detailed description of the technology of olive oil it was noted that some varieties are characterized by the presence of a bitter taste. But this sign only confirms the high quality of the oil, because it is obtained by cold-pressing, which is very appreciated. If you carefully study the text on the label of the product, you will most likely find that its acidity is less than 1%. The minimum value of this parameter indicates the healing properties of the oil. That is, the product with a bitterness is not intended for frying, it is better to use it fresh: dress salads, make additives to dishes.
If the cooking process has already started, and the oil gives off an unpleasant bitterness, do not get upset, because heat treatment will remove the unwanted taste. However, in this case a lot of useful properties will also disappear. Therefore, when choosing a product, it is necessary to proceed for what purposes it is bought. Oil with a taste of bitterness is recommended to use immediately, rather than storing the bottle for special occasions.
The difference between olive oil and sunflower oil
Natural oils of different kinds differ primarily in their composition. If we compare the sunflower oil and the product obtained from the olive fruit, the difference is significant.
- Fats. Olive oil consists of 70% oleic acid, which is a harmonious combination of omega-6 and omega-3 fats. These components are known to be the main building material of cells. Sunflower seed products contain 50 percent of this component. That's why nutritionists advise frying food in olive oil.
- Vitamin content. The olive product has many times more vitamin components. It is especially high in vitamin K, which is essential for the synthesis of bone protein. The sunflower seed product has three times the content of tocopherol (vitamin E).
There are differences in the balance of trace elements in different types of vegetable oil. Therefore one should never argue that one type of oil is better and the other loses in certain indicators. Both products are able to complement each other if they are included in the diet correctly.
Composition and Calories
The energy or caloric value of any product is critical when it comes to a weight loss program. But, as a rule, people on a strict diet keep a special diary in which they regularly record the number of calories consumed. Of course, olive oil can not be called a low-calorie product, because the energy content of 100 grams is 884 kcal, that is, 1 tablespoon "weighs" as much as 120 kcal.
It is very time-consuming to list all the components of the composition of olive oil. So let's focus on the main ingredients from this list:
- Monounsaturated fatty acids (oleic, linoleic).
- Saturated fatty acids (steatico, palmitic acid).
- Phenolic compounds.
- Substance squalene (prevents the development of cancer).
- Sterols - a component of this group was found only in olive oil, they are responsible for cholesterol levels.
- Vitamin series (extra-virgin olive oil contains the most complete set of vitamins).
- Terpene alcohols.
Such a rich set of useful elements provides a positive effect on the work of almost all organs and systems of the human body. This complex is like an electric battery created by nature, it charges with energy. It is only important to correctly determine when the body needs a new "recharge". In other words, any natural product will bring maximum benefit only when used wisely. If in a burst of fanaticism a person will add olive oil to all dishes, and to strengthen the result will take it on an empty stomach in the morning, then even such a useful product will cause a serious blow to health.
How useful is olive oil?
To make a detailed list of all the useful properties of natural olive oil is very difficult, because in the human body all processes are interconnected with each other. This means that positive changes in the work of one system will necessarily be marked by shifts in the work of other important organs. For example, if it is possible to stabilize blood pressure, the burden on blood vessels will decrease. As for the usefulness of olive oil, you can highlight the main properties of the product:
- Improves intestinal peristalsis, which helps to solve a number of problems with GI diseases.
- It has antioxidant properties, so the product is recommended for effective cleansing, treatment of constipation, elimination of stagnation.
- Due to the content of vitamin B group oil has a positive effect on the nervous system, helps to establish a normal sleep.
- As a prophylactic agent against cancer, olive oil is an ideal option, since it contains components that can block the growth of foreign cells.
- With regular intake of a quality product noticeably improves memory, concentration, increase intellectual abilities.
- With the help of olive oil you can lose weight without compromising your health.
- The product is extremely useful for people suffering from alcohol and nicotine addiction, as it neutralizes the negative effects of toxic agents.
To what has already been said, it is worth adding that the body of patients after complex surgery and serious illness is severely weakened, and therefore needs additional portions of nutrients. Olive oil can compensate for the lack of vitamins and other essential elements. Scientists have proven that it can help to slow aging and prevent the development of Alzheimer's disease.
Of course, much depends on the age of the patient, as well as his gender. Let's try to understand some of the nuances of this issue.
The representatives of the fair sex are most interested in ways to preserve their natural youth and beauty. And in this case, the olive oil is able to provide significant assistance. There are an incredible number of recipes for home use, which will help get rid of wrinkles, freckles and other skin problems. Olive oil has a beneficial effect on the structure of hair and activates its growth.
The product contains components that stimulate tissue regeneration. Therefore, it can be used to treat small wounds. In addition, olive oil should be used by women in the following situations:
- If there are problems with conception.
- To stabilize the menstrual cycle.
- With intense peeling of the dermis on any area, including the face.
- For preventive purposes, residents of southern regions are recommended to take 20 ml of pure olive oil regularly to prevent breast cancer.
- During menopause, an olive product will help reduce the frequency of hot flashes, relieve irritability and painful sensations.
No less useful is an olive product for men's health. Even in ancient times, healers in various compositions added the oil extract from the olive fruit to restore male reproductive functions. This is because providing a powerful flow of blood to the groin, components of the oil thus contribute to improving potency. This is the most important way to increase the sexual power of any man will help a mixture of a squeeze of olives with roasted garlic pulp.
Very useful product after a hearty meal, accompanied by immoderate intake of hot drinks. Olive oil is good for cleansing the liver and quickly excretes ethyl alcohol. Most men after 45 years of age have heart problems. Natural extraction of olives will help cleanse the blood vessels from harmful cholesterol deposits and normalize the entire cardiovascular system.
For expectant mothers, olive oil will help:
- establish a regular stool;
- Improve digestion and metabolism in general;
- Relieve fatigue;
- eliminate heartburn;
- normalize hemoglobin levels.
The natural product has a positive effect on the condition of the developing fetus. In particular, the regular addition of butter to dishes that are present in the diet of a pregnant woman will support the proper development of the nervous system of the unborn child, as well as reduce the risk of malformations. The product has a beneficial effect on the hematopoietic system of the fetus.
Breastfeeding moms need to take a responsible approach to their diet. Therefore, many products for them during the breastfeeding period remain forbidden. But this rule does not apply to olive oil. On the contrary, pediatricians include it in the list of mandatory foods for nursing mothers.
It is recommended to use extra varieties. Add the oil should be added to salads, which will maximize the preservation of useful components, which together with the breast milk will enter the body of the baby. Squeezing of olive fruits contributes to the rapid recovery of the woman's body after childbirth. In addition, the product due to its high content of vitamin E increases lactation and promotes healing of wounds and cracked nipples. The oil is used as an external remedy for elimination of stretch marks (stretch marks).
Children in the first year of life is forbidden to add to the food products with high fat content, because their digestive system is not yet ready for such a saturated meal. But for newborn babies olive oil is ideal as an external agent for diaper rash.
In children's dishes it will be possible to add it after a year, provided that the child is not allergic to this product. Of course, you must follow the minimum dosage - only a few drops (1-2) oil. Older children can be given 3-4 drops, but it is always recommended to combine the olive product with vegetable oil.
The benefits and harms of olive oil on an empty stomach
About the benefits of drinking olive oil on an empty stomach are claimed by medics and folk healers. This is explained by the fact that an empty stomach can better absorb the nutrients. This method of application is not burdened by strict rules, but it gives amazing results if you stick to it for a long time. The complex of useful elements penetrates the tissues easily, saturating them and stimulating the flow of important biochemical processes. The effect quickly makes itself felt: the skin looks younger, the hair acquires its natural shine, and the strength of the nails is restored. At the heart of the positive transformation is a complex of properties unique to olive oil.
Taken on an empty stomach the product:
- cleanses the body of toxins;
- Provides conditions for better absorption of fatty acids, especially Omega-3;
- Eliminates deposits of cholesterol;
- Localizes inflammation;
- Helps reduce weight;
- Normalizes the functions of almost all internal organs;
- stimulates the regeneration of damaged tissues.
The scheme of using olive oil on an empty stomach is very simple, but there are a number of rules that must be adhered to.
- Before taking it, you can not even drink water, that is, the stomach must be empty in the literal sense of the word.
- The initial portion is 1/2 tablespoon.
- After consuming the oil it is allowed to eat only after 30 minutes.
- The standard course of wellness therapy is 3-4 weeks.
- To make the procedure pleasant, you can combine the reception of the oil component with lemon juice or honey.
To take on an empty stomach, it is recommended to buy only cold-pressed oil.
How to take olive oil for weight loss
There are many diets for weight loss, the central element of which is natural olive oil. But the most effective and safe is considered a Mediterranean weight loss program. It is it, combined with moderate exercise, helps to lose extra pounds and return the figure to attractive, feminine lines.
The principle of action of the olive diet lies in the ability of one of the main components of the product, namely oleic acid, to synthesize the substance oleylethanolamide. The fact is that the feeling of satiety in a person appears if the concentration of this component increases. In other words, as a result of such a diet the feeling of hunger is blunted, and a person does not try to take a moment to have a snack.
It is impossible to name exactly the terms of maximum weight loss when observing a diet with olive oil, because each body has individual characteristics. But experience shows that after a month of a soft diet, weight loss will be noticeable.
Method of ingestion. The initial dose is one teaspoon. It is recommended to take the product on an empty stomach in the morning, about 40 minutes before a full breakfast. For maximum effectiveness, the oil should be washed down with plain water. If there are problems with the liver, then it is better to combine the olive product with tomato juice. Because of the high caloric content of the oil, it is necessary to control the amount of calories consumed. This also applies to other dishes with its presence.
Olive oil in medicine
Medics appreciate the possibilities of natural ingredients. The unique properties of olive oil are often used in clinical practice in the treatment of a huge number of pathologies. Let's tell you what abilities olive oil manifests in various diseases.
Diabetics doctors strongly recommend using only good olive oil for cooking. Research has proven that the monounsaturated acids that make up the base of the product can reduce glucose and triglycerides. In addition, squeezing olives with regular use slows the progression of this serious disease.
Important: The glycemic index of olive oil is zero!
With pancreatic pathologies, you should be extremely careful when enriching your diet with olive oil. In the period of exacerbation, it is better to refuse to use this product at all. But during stable remission is allowed to use oil in small portions (up to 30 ml) once a day in the form of additives to main dishes. Do not drink the pure product to persons suffering from pancreatitis, because this can provoke an exacerbation of the disease.
Therapy of gastritis necessarily includes a dietary diet. You can localize the inflammation of the mucosa of the stomach with the help of olive oil. It is better to take it on an empty stomach, and after drinking a glass of clean water. The first results of treatment are usually seen after a week of therapy, but the standard course is 2-3 months.
For the intestines
On the work of the intestines of the quality vegetable oil from olive trees has a beneficial effect. Since the product has a mild laxative property, its use helps to establish regular stools. In addition, it is recommended to use it as a preventive measure to prevent inflammatory processes and cancer of the large intestine. But before using such a controversial product, it is still better to consult a doctor.
With regular constipation, most people try to solve the problem at the expense of potent laxatives, which is not quite safe for the intestines and the whole body. To correct the situation, you can use olive oil, if you drink 25 ml every morning on an empty stomach. Vegetable ingredients activate digestion, envelop mucous membranes of the intestine, resulting in an easy process of purification.
Complex compounds that are included in the product of cold-pressed, bring tangible benefits to patients with gout. First of all, they can reduce the manifestations of inflammation, which is most often expressed in severe pain and swelling. Since the composition contains a whole set of vitamins, among which is tocopherol, olive oil improves the condition of cartilage and connective tissue. By taking this natural product under the scheme of the well-known Mediterranean diet, you can improve your condition without strong medications. For gout, an acceptable daily dose of olive oil is 1-2 tablespoons.
In acute colitis, cold-pressed oil is included in the diet and also used for microclysters. This type of local treatment promotes rapid healing of the injured intestine. The procedure is recommended to perform at night, so that the damaged mucosa has time to absorb all the useful components.
In addition, any oil well lubricates the inner walls of the intestine, which greatly facilitates the passage of feces. As the results of clinical studies, patients with colitis, who regularly took a tablespoon of olive oil in the morning hours, managed to increase the period of stable remission in times.
For the liver
The liver in the human body acts as a kind of protective barrier. Due to various diseases, these abilities are reduced, which leads to the development of various pathologies. Olive oil can help cleanse the liver of toxins and free radicals. The cleansing procedure is recommended only after the doctor's approval. The day before you have to go on a plant-based diet, you can drink apple juice. You must not eat anything on the eve of purification.
Scheme of cleansing
- It is necessarily necessary to clean the intestines. To do this, it is recommended to put an enema.
- Then combine the lemon juice (140 ml) and the same amount of olive oil in one container.
- Then every quarter of an hour you should drink 30 ml of this mixture.
- During the whole period of the procedure you should lie on your side with a warm heating pad.
This is a hard version of cleansing. A gentle method consists in taking a mixture of 200 ml of tomato juice and 40 ml of olive oil on an empty stomach every day. Both procedures described here are very good for the liver. They will not only help to flush out toxic products, but also to revitalize the organ.
In case of hemorrhoids.
In the presence of hemorrhoids, olive oil is always included in the treatment package. When the product is used internally, due to its special properties, it is possible to adjust the digestive processes and ensure regular emptying of the intestines. The olive product is included in many recipes for external application for hemorrhoids. With the use of such means, it is possible to stop bleeding, reduce swelling, localize inflammation.
In addition, vegetable oil activates wound healing processes. Olive oil is used to prepare therapeutic microclysters and ointments. The product is necessarily included in the diet in this disease.
With acute inflammation of the gallbladder, olive oil should be used only with the permission of the doctor. Otherwise, the most unforeseen consequences can occur. It is best to use this useful product with a preventive purpose to stimulate the outflow of bile and prevent the appearance of stones.
As in the other cases described here, olive oil can be added to food and also taken in a tablespoon in the morning on an empty stomach. Both methods will help maintain gallbladder function at the proper level, and with cholecystitis, they will eliminate the possibility of exacerbation of the disease.
Folk medicine recipes based on olive oil
Olive oil has long been used not only for cosmetic purposes, but also to treat various diseases. Non-traditional medicine appreciates its healing properties: the proper application of the means allows you to get rid of skin problems, helps with diseases of internal organs.
Recipes for home cooking
- Improvement of the state of blood vessels and the prevention of thrombosis. It is recommended to use about 1 tbsp. olive oil per day (exercise caution with chronic pancreatitis). The product returns elasticity to blood vessels and prevents the formation of blood clots. Olive oil is considered one of the best remedies for varicose veins - it can be added to cream when used externally.
- Treatment of duodenal ulcers. You need to mix 1 cup of olive oil with a glass of aloe juice and let the mixture infuse for 3 days. Then add a spoonful of natural honey, boil the composition on a water bath for 2 hours (over low heat). Prepared to take the drug 4 times a day, 1 tbsp. spoon for a month.
- When constipation and normalization of the gastrointestinal tract. To get rid of regular constipation, take olive oil twice a day (morning and evening), 1 tbsp. spoon, for 10 days.
- Treatment of inflammation of the gums. Heat a small amount of the product in a water bath, apply to a soft toothbrush and gently rub into the gums. To get rid of pain, in the morning rinse your gums with oil heated to body temperature.
- For gastritis. Drink a glass of clean water in the morning on an empty stomach, and 20 minutes later drink 1 tablespoon of olive oil. You can have breakfast after 30 minutes. This procedure should be repeated for 2.5 months.
- In cholecystitis. Take the remedy internally, 25 ml for 10 days. It is best to do it in the morning, before a meal. It is allowed to wash down the oil with a glass of orange or grapefruit juice.
- Get rid of periodontal disease. Prepare a mixture of 1 tbsp. olive oil and pharmacy celandine tincture (30%). Mix the ingredients until homogeneous. Prepared composition dab the affected gums 2 times a day.
Olive oil in cosmetology
Many women prefer natural cosmetics to expensive means of famous brands. And olive oil is ideal for maintaining female attractiveness and prolonging youth. It is no coincidence that the first beauties of the Roman Empire and Ancient Greece applied it to the skin after bathing with medicinal herbs. Today this gift of nature, called olive oil, is actively used for home treatments. As an example, we offer a few simple recipes, the effectiveness of which is confirmed by the successful results.
Olive oil can be added to various hair care products, as well as in compositions for coloring. There are many simple, but very effective masks that will return health and beauty to the curls and ensure normal hair growth.
For example, to return a healthy shine to the hair will help mask of only two components: freshly made apple puree - 25 g (you can use baby food), olive oil - 10 ml. After mixing the ingredients nourishing mass apply to the entire surface of the hair, leave for 20 minutes, and then rinse.
To maintain the beauty of the funds should not be spared. Therefore, for home procedures it is wise to buy only a product of excellent quality. In a duet with honey, cold processed oil moisturizes, nourishes, smoothes wrinkles. In short, even a single treatment gives a stunning result.
Sequence of manipulation: a teaspoon of honey heated, add an egg yolk, and then another tablespoon of olive oil. The composition is evenly applied to the face, and after 15 minutes wash off. This recipe is universal: suitable for any skin type.
Olive oil for eyelashes and eyebrows
Experienced beauties know that it is possible to increase the volume of lashes without the use of mascara. A special mask for eyelashes and eyebrows will perfectly cope with this task.
Everything is very simple: 10 ml of the main component (oil) should be mixed with the same amount of decoction of chamomile, then add 5 g of petroleum jelly. The nourishing mixture is applied with a brush to the eyebrows and eyelashes up to the tips. After 15 minutes, you can wash off the mask.
For hands and nails
The condition of women's hands and nails speaks volumes. Therefore, it is necessary to take care of them.
To always attract hands with a well-groomed appearance, it is enough to perform a simple procedure twice a week: at night to lubricate them with olive oil, and then put on top of cotton gloves. During the night's rest, the nourishing components will be well absorbed into the nail plates and skin of the hands.
Can I fry in olive oil
Above, much has already been said about the intricacies of olive oil production. The fundamental differences between different varieties of products affect the scope of their application. For culinary purposes, first cold-pressed oil would be most useful as a salad dressing. For frying, however, Olive oil, a product that is a combination of unrefined and refined oil, is excellent. It can be used for cooking at the temperature up to 180ºC, that means you can fry potatoes and eggs. When cooking at higher temperatures, it is better to choose refined varieties of olive oil. They do not lose their taste qualities, do not stick.
Harm and contraindications
Undoubtedly, olive oil with reasonable use will bring tremendous benefits to the person. But you should not forget about the pitfalls that can cause significant harm. To avoid this, it is necessary to observe the following rules:
- Do not exceed the allotted portion of the product.
- Use only good quality oil with a valid expiration date.
- Always consider the possible risks, and if there are contraindications, refuse any use of this product.
The list of contraindications is not long. The use of olive oil should be avoided:
- If there is an intolerance to the product;
- If there is an exacerbation of cholecystitis, cholelithiasis, pancreatitis;
- if there is obesity of the last stage.
Young children should also limit the presence of this type of oil in the menu. As already mentioned, it is always necessary to adhere to a measure, otherwise the abuse of olive oil can lead to diabetes and other disorders of the digestive system. The most serious consequence of inordinacy is fatty hepatosis.
Can I Give Olive Oil to Dogs
Many caring pet owners consider such additives to the diet of their pets as vegetable oils. It should be noted that the four-legged friends love such treats. And if your dog is overweight, olive oil can help in the weight loss process. In addition, this unique product has many beneficial properties.
- It reliably protects the animal's immune system.
- Extends the years of its life.
- Improves brain function.
- Provides a boost of energy for an active life.
- Improves the quality of your pet's coat and eyesight.
How to choose and where to store olive oil
The best varieties of oil are strictly tested for quality. In this case, all indicators must not go beyond the accepted standards for this product. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to find on sale really good-quality olive oil, because the production of these varieties is limited. But POMACE type oil can be easily found on the shelves even in stores in rural areas. Although this type of product is inferior in many respects to the extra class of oil, for the preparation of delicious and healthy food it is ideal.
When choosing an oil, you should pay attention to the indicator of acidity and additives. It should be remembered that the less impurities, the better the quality of the product. High quality olive oil should not be stored for a long time and in a refrigerator. It should be used quickly and kept in a dark place. Only frying varieties should be stored for a long time.
How to test for authenticity
It is difficult to determine the authenticity of oil at home, but it is possible. There are several tried and tested methods.
- The first is to evaluate the color of the product. Good-quality oil without impurities will have a pronounced greenish hue.
- The second is taste. The bitterness of natural oil was already mentioned above. This attribute is the best confirmation of the high quality of the product.
But nowadays the unscrupulous dealers change both the color and the taste of products. Therefore, to check the authenticity it is necessary to put the oil for a few hours in the refrigerator. If the contents of the container become cloudy and thicken, the product is natural.
There is another method of checking: impregnate the wick with oil and then light it. An extra-class product will burn with an even, clean flame. Fake oil will not light at all, but will only smolder.
Interesting Facts about Olive Oil
In addition to the above information, we would like to give a few facts that will be of interest to inquisitive people.
- Archaeologists have found that olive oil is widely used at the dawn of human civilization. About 140 centuries ago, wealthy citizens could afford the luxury of rubbing oils on their bodies.
- It is a proven fact that the inhabitants of Mediterranean regions are the leaders in life expectancy. Scientists attribute this to the fact that, for example, the Greeks consume 20 liters of olive oil per year.
- Since ancient times, the branch of the olive tree symbolized success, fertility and wealth. This is probably why today olive oil is at the top of the list of healthy products. It is believed that if you dream about this product, you can count on a quick resolution of worldly problems.
- Despite the fact that olive trees grow in warmer climates, they are considered a winter crop, because the peak harvest is from October to December.
- The oldest olive tree grows in Jerusalem on the Mount of Olives. Historians claim that it is more than two thousand years old.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only purposes. Consult a health care professional before applying any recommendations. specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."