Oatmeal porridge: composition, useful properties, recipes for cooking
In the menu of almost every Russian family there is bound to be a place for a nourishing and nutritious dish - oatmeal porridge. It is part of the diet of the British and residents of other European countries. They eat this fragrant and very healthy porridge in the morning and in the evening. In the culinary community oatmeal dish is commonly called "dezhene". And this product is used to prepare not only food for a modest breakfast: masters of the art of cooking can offer a huge number of recipes for exquisite dishes and desserts based on oatmeal. Many scientific works have been written about the benefits of this cereal crop, and poets all over the world dedicate the most beautiful lines to it.
- History of oatmeal
- Nutritional value and chemical composition of oatmeal
- Caloric value of oatmeal
- The benefits of oatmeal in the morning
- What is oatmeal good for
- For Women
- For Men
- For children
- When losing weight
- Oatmeal in medicine
- Diabetes mellitus
- For pancreatitis
- For gastritis
- For bowel cleansing
- For constipation
- For gout
- For colitis
- Oatmeal in cosmetology
- Nourishing Face Mask
- Hair Strengthening Mask
- How to Boil Oatmeal: Recipes
- With milk
- With water
- In a multicooker
- How to choose oatmeal for porridge
- Hazards and contraindications
- Interesting facts about oatmeal
Let's try to figure out why oatmeal porridge is useful and what disadvantages it has. We will tell you how to cook it for everyday meals and dietary meals. We will also discuss why oatmeal can be used in home cosmetology.
The history of oatmeal
But first it is worth turning to historical facts. The very first mention of the grain dates back to the times of ancient Greece and the Roman Empire. At the time, oatmeal was cultivated on large tracts of land for one purpose, to feed livestock. Only at the beginning of the thirteenth century did poor Europeans start to make liquid stew out of the grits.
In ancient times Rus already appreciated the usefulness of oatmeal, so it is widely used in the preparation of the most various dishes. Mainly oatmeal was used, as they say today, as a garnish to the meat and fish dishes. Oatmeal went well with mushrooms and seafood. Later, around the 16th century, nourishing porridge with a pleasant taste appeared on the tables of our ancestors, and in the 19th century porridge was cooked with milk.
Then came cereal, an innovative product obtained by steaming grains. In modern cookery both herkules or cereals and whole grains are used equally often. Of course, nutritionists are still debating which of the two product options is healthier, but here the right to choose is left to the consumer. The fact is that cereal porridge can be cooked in just a few minutes, although the product loses some of its useful qualities during heat treatment.
Nutritional value and chemical composition of oatmeal
It is difficult to find a product as equal in composition as humble oatmeal. Useful substances are represented by such an impressive list that one list of all the elements will take a lot of time. Therefore, let us dwell on the most important components of the composition:
- Protein. This group is represented by tryptophan, lysine, methionine, histidine and other elements.
- Carbohydrates make up a significant part of the cereal. These are sucrose, starches, glucose.
- Fats in cereal have all three main groups: saturated, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated.
- Amino acids are substitutable: serine, tyrosine, glycine, arginine and a number of other substances in this group.
- Minerals are important elements involved in the processes of synthesis and tissue building in the body. Of primary importance are substances: calcium, phosphorus, copper, manganese, iron and other trace elements.
A variety of vitamins are represented:
- ascorbic acid (C);
- retinol (A);
- tocopherol (E);
- B vitamin complex is reflected in oatmeal in all its diversity.
It remains to add that the composition of oatmeal is completely free of harmful cholesterol, which impairs the patency of blood vessels. It is difficult to overestimate the usefulness of oats as a food product. In addition to the listed nutrients, this cereal contains dietary fiber, which helps to direct the digestion process in a normal way. This whole complex saturates the tissues of the body with the necessary substances and supplies the cells with building material.
Caloric value of oatmeal
There is a perception that oatmeal, like any other porridge, contributes to the recruitment of extra pounds. Such statements are based on the peculiarities of the composition of the cereal: in fact, there are almost 56 grams of easily digestible carbohydrates per 100 grams of the product. This figure corresponds to 230 kcal - the figure is really not insignificant. But all carbohydrates in oats are complex starches. That is why they are processed slowly, turning them into an energy resource. That is why oatmeal charges you with energy and gives you a feeling of fullness.
The benefits of oatmeal in the morning
Many adults have childhood memories of school days, when their mother used to make porridge from Hercules flakes in the morning for breakfast. And the light aromatic haze over this unpretentious dish awakened the appetite. But the main thing is that such breakfast was energizing for the whole day. Interestingly, children's food preferences often last a lifetime. Nutritionists explain this phenomenon by the rich and balanced composition of oat groats. Here are just some of the useful properties of this unique product.
- The high iron content provides normal hematopoiesis and maintenance of the proper level of red blood cells. This is an excellent prevention of anemia.
- Calcium is the main building material of the bone system, and phosphorus prevents the development of osteoporosis. Both elements have a positive effect on the heart and strengthen the walls of blood vessels. The condition of hair and nails depends on them.
- Zinc takes care of immune strength. Oatmeal can be considered the champion of this essential element. In general, zinc plays an active role in almost all biochemical processes in the body. If this component is deficient, the ability to work decreases, mental performance declines, and the condition of teeth and bone tissue suffers.
- Sodium regulates water-salt balance, and potassium improves heart and vascular function.
- Magnesium influences nervous system and brain functions. With sufficient content of this element in the food, the brain works productively, providing good memory and attention. This factor is especially important for children and people engaged in intellectual activities.
- Antioxidants are present in large quantities in oatmeal. The substances, which have the ability to cleanse the body of toxins and free radicals, help prevent the development of cancer. In addition, antioxidants stimulate blood circulation, improve memory, vision and hearing.
- Beta-glucan is a unique biological compound that has a powerful effect on the immune system, reduces the concentration of harmful cholesterol and improves skin condition.
In addition to the components listed here, the list of useful elements contains many more substances that have a positive impact on the human body. A special property of oatmeal is the ability to saturate tissues with energy. Therefore, any person who eats a small portion of porridge from whole grains or herkules flakes for breakfast feels a burst of energy.
How is oatmeal good for you?
From the above it is clear that the inclusion of oatmeal in a nutritious diet will help to maintain at normal levels of important biochemical processes in the human body. After all, each element of the composition of this unique cereal performs its useful function. Let's consider what positive changes this dish is able to provide people depending on their gender and some natural physiological characteristics.
The female body is very sensitive to the effects of external factors. Especially their negative impact is reflected on the state of the facial dermis. Oat groats can work wonders, if it is taken as the basis of home cosmetics. From the ground grain you can prepare a nourishing mask, as well as effective remedies for wrinkles and pustular rashes. In addition, oats have such positive properties:
- Accelerates the metabolism. This quality is especially useful for the body of girls, because it contributes to the rapid absorption of nutrients and the removal of toxic products.
- It cleanses the intestines of toxins and improves their peristalsis. Many women complain of problems with regular defecation. Consumption of food with cereal will help to normalize this function.
- It improves the condition of the circulatory system. It is known that varicose veins are more common in the female sex. Oat groats can be an effective preventive measure against this pathology.
- Oatmeal helps to normalize weight. Many diets for fast weight loss are based on oat groats. And it is allowed to use the cereal in any version, that is, in the form of bran, sprouted grain or traditional porridge.
- Improves the mood. As the list of useful components includes serotonin, dishes from this cereal have a positive effect on the emotional background. Scientists have proven that just a few days of regular consumption of oatmeal inspire optimism and increase performance.
It is the way nature has arranged it, that a woman at any age strives to look attractive. And there are no trifles in creating such an image, i.e. both nails and hair and face should look flawless. It turns out that oatmeal can improve the condition of the nails and revive the healthy shine of women's curls.
The bodies of representatives of the different sexes differ little from each other. Therefore, it is not necessary to enumerate repeatedly those beneficial actions, which has a grain of oats on a man. Let us dwell only on certain points, which relate exclusively to the stronger sex.
Scientifically proven that a man is extremely important for the health of the hormone testosterone. For normal production of this secretion requires a sufficient content of tocopherol, or vitamin E. This component is present in oat groats. Therefore, porridge from herringbones or whole oats will only contribute to the production of sperm.
With the onset of pregnancy, the body of the expectant mother is in particular in need of adequate nutrition: in fact, now he must provide a set of useful substances and developing in the womb of the fetus. Doctors strongly recommend that pregnant women eat oatmeal and other healthy dishes of this cereal daily. The rich content of this natural product will not only provide reliable support and protection for the female body during such a crucial stage of life, but also provide invaluable aid to the future child. To be sure of this, it is enough to list the main properties of oatmeal:
- Due to the content of folic acid, the fetal nervous system is properly formed. This element prevents the appearance of developmental defects.
- Sufficient iron is necessary for the complete hematopoiesis of the little body. For the expectant mother, iron can help cope with irritability and tearfulness.
- Pregnant women often complain about constipation. Because oats are high in fiber and fiber, they are mildly laxative.
- Vitamin B6, or pyridoxine, helps relieve toxic symptoms. Oatmeal dishes at any stage of gestation will help to cope with nausea, and also stabilize the gastrointestinal tract.
- For better assimilation of nutrients it is recommended to combine oatmeal with fruits or wash down with fresh fruit juices.
In addition to the listed positive properties, the cereal will help to get rid of edema, which quite often bother women in the second half of pregnancy.
The diet of a nursing woman has special requirements. Considering that together with breast milk, harmful substances for the child's health can enter the body, a woman's diet during lactation should consist exclusively of safe products. At the same time, the diet must be calorie-dense. Oatmeal meets all these conditions. The nutrients contained in oats improve the quality of breast milk and provide a supply of nutrients not only to the mother, but also to the newborn baby.
We want to pay special attention to the presence in the cereal complex of vitamins and trace elements, which are essential for the full development of the baby in the first year of life.
An important point! A dish of oat flakes does not stimulate weight gain. So it is safe to include oatmeal porridge in the menu 2-3 times a week. For women with diabetes of any type, this product will help maintain normal blood sugar levels. Since this cereal crop has a beneficial effect on the condition of dental enamel and hair, it will help a nursing woman to cope with many appearance problems in the postpartum period.
Pediatricians' opinions on the usefulness of oat groats are the same. Experts believe that it can be compared to buckwheat in its set of useful qualities. Young children are growing up quickly, so their body is in constant need of building material. Oat grains in excessive amounts of protein, calcium and phosphorus. There are essential vitamins and healthy fats.
Kids spend a lot of energy playing games and exploring the world around them. Oatmeal can meet the needs of young fidgety to replenish these important resources. The elements of the cereal composition take an active part in the following processes:
- in the formation of the child's nervous system;
- in the intellectual development of the child;
- in the formation of the child's nervous system; in its intellectual development; in its hematopoiesis;
- in the strengthening of the immune system;
- in the formation of the bone skeleton and muscle tissues;
- in the normal course of the digestive processes and a number of other important functions.
Because young children's intestinal systems do not handle food well, it is not uncommon for babies to have constipation or, conversely, liquid stools. Oatmeal can help regulate normal bowel emptying. But the main advantage of this dish is the ability to satisfy hunger for a long time.
Pediatricians recommend that infants be given grinded oatmeal porridge as a complementary food from 8 months of age, provided that the child has no signs of diathesis. Otherwise, it is worth postponing acquaintance with this useful product until the child is 2 years old.
When losing weight
Oatmeal is a basic product of various diets aimed at weight correction. The ability of the cereal to remove toxins and supply tissues with nutrients makes such diet programs very effective. Two types of diets are mainly used: hard and gentle.
- The first option consists of eating only one oatmeal porridge in water for a week. You can supplement your diet with green tea without sugar or rosehip decoction.
- A gentle diet allows for additions in the form of fruit, butter, and sugar.
By following such a strict diet regime it is possible to lose up to 7 kilograms in a week. But, in addition to losing weight, such a diet helps to stabilize the psycho-emotional state, establish sleep, increase physical activity.
Oatmeal in medicine
Dishes based on oat groats or hercules flakes are an obligatory part of the dietary diet of patients with various pathologies. For example, during recovery therapy after cavity surgery, such patients are prescribed a sparing diet, in which the main place is given to oatmeal. This dish is included in the nutritional ration of patients with cardiovascular pathologies, kidney disease, liver disease, respiratory system. Let us dwell separately on the benefits of this porridge for some diseases.
With diabetes mellitus, patients are prescribed a special food program, the main purpose of which is to effectively regulate the concentration of glucose. This task can be achieved thanks to the properties of dietary fiber, which is present in oats. In addition to porridge, diabetics are allowed to include baked goods and various desserts made with oat flakes in their diet.
Scientific studies have shown that regular consumption of oatmeal helps patients with type 1 diabetes reduce their insulin dose.
Important: The glycemic index of oatmeal is 60 units.
With an inflammatory process of the pancreas, enzymatic functions are disrupted, which negatively affects the work of the entire digestive system. Therefore, such patients need a sparing diet. In acute pancreatitis or in exacerbation of chronic pathology in the first few days the patient in general is supposed to be on a starvation diet. But on the second day, such patients can already be given liquid oat soup or porridge with water without salt. In this case, the dishes are made from whole grain flour or flakes.
Later, kissels, cookies, souffles, and other types of desserts are added to the menu. The advantage of the oat diet for pancreatitis is that the porridge copes well with the removal of toxins and does not create a load on the pancreas. And the viscous consistency of the dish protects the mucous membranes of the digestive tract from the damaging effects of bile.
People suffering from gastritis are contraindicated to use spicy and fatty foods, so as not to aggravate the state of the already inflamed mucous tissues of the stomach. But oatmeal in the diet of such patients must be present.
If the patient adheres to a diet based on oat grains, after a few days the acute symptoms will recede and the process will gradually go into remission. In addition to light porridge, persons suffering from gastritis can include in their diet oatmeal kissels, various desserts. Such a diet will help to quickly localize inflammation and establish the work of the digestive organs.
For bowel cleansing
With a strong slagging of the intestines, the general well-being of the person noticeably deteriorates. With the help of oat flakes can quickly and effectively solve such a problem. For effective cleansing it is necessary to eat daily in the morning on an empty stomach a dish made of two tablespoons of oatmeal flour, poured with a glass of boiling water. Sugar and salt should not be added.
There is another simple option: put 3 tablespoons of whole grains in a dish overnight, pour a glass of water. You can use milk. In the morning, add some dried fruits and honey to the resulting mixture. Such a breakfast will help to quickly cleanse the intestines.
Systematic constipation can cause intoxication of the whole body. To stimulate intestinal peristalsis, it is recommended to introduce oatmeal in the diet in any variant of preparation. The high level of fiber in the product and the ability to envelop the mucous membranes will help to restore normal intestinal function. The same effect will provide a mucilaginous kissel of herkules flakes. You can add slices of fruit to such a dessert to improve the taste.
Gout is characterized by a disorder of the purine metabolism. This dysfunction causes an accumulation of uric acid in the joints, which is accompanied by severe pain and inflammation of the affected organ. To reduce the concentration of harmful uric acid, such patients are prescribed a special diet. One of the key products of the dietary ration of patients with gout is considered to be oat groats. Small portions of nutritious porridge will help to equalize the disturbed balance of substances.
In the first days of the acute period, it is desirable for patients with colitis to minimize the amount of food consumed at all. This requirement is due to the pronounced symptomatology of the disease, which gives patients incredible suffering. But on the 2-3rd day it is already possible to introduce into the diet a slimy decoction of oat flakes in water.
As the patient's well-being improves, it will be possible to switch to light porridges and soups. In the period of remission, it is allowed to add a little milk when cooking a dish.
Oatmeal in cosmetology
Folk medicine offers a lot of recipes to maintain beauty and youthfulness on the basis of oatmeal. This affordable and unique product helps to maintain the freshness and attractiveness of the facial skin and improve the condition of the hair. As an example, here are just two popular recipes.
Nourishing face mask
- oat flakes - handful;
- kefir - 50 ml;
- honey - 15 gr;
- salt - a pinch.
After mixing the above components the resulting mass is applied to the previously cleansed skin of the face. Mask leave for a quarter of an hour, and the field rinse with warm water. The procedure restores the complexion, helps to get rid of black dots and pimples.
Mask to strengthen the hair
Sequence of manipulation:
- Pour the crushed flakes with heated milk;
- When the base swells, add a few drops of vegetable oil;
- Rub the mixture into the roots, wrap your head with polyethylene;
- After half an hour you can wash off the mask from the hair with any shampoo.
How to cook oatmeal porridge: recipes
There are an incredible number of options for cooking oatmeal porridge. Let's stop at the classic ways.
Pour three glasses of milk into a bowl, bring to a boil, then add salt and sugar to taste. After that, you can pour oat flakes (a glass). Bring the porridge to readiness with constant stirring. Already in the finished dish it is allowed to add a little butter.
Previously, the initial ingredient, that is, oat flakes, should be poured with water under the scheme 1:2. Put it on the fire, and when it boils, add salt and sugar (1/2 tsp. each). When the dish reaches readiness, add butter. Porridge should stand for a few minutes, and only then it can be served.
In a multicooker
The cooking process is very simple: 1 dosage cup of cereal is poured into a bowl of the multicooker, sugar and salt is added there as well. It is desirable to dilute the milk with a little water and heat it. Then pour the ready cereal, add 20 grams of butter, close the lid of the device and run the option "Milk porridge". After 25 minutes of cooking, the fragrant dish can be served with dried fruit or other delicious additives.
How to choose oatmeal for porridge
There are several kinds of oatmeal available on the market:
- Whole-grain groats. Such a product is desirable to choose for a dietary diet. True, in this case it will take more than two hours to cook porridge.
- Unprocessed flakes. Such a product is easy to recognize by the boxes. He is ideal for a diet for gastritis, ulcers, colitis.
- Quick-cooking cereals. This product loses many useful qualities when processed. It is usually used for a quick snack, but it is not suitable for dietary eating.
As you can see, depending on the objectives, you can choose any convenient version of the product.
Harms and contraindications
Despite the impressive list of useful characteristics, there are some disadvantages to oatmeal.
First of all, you need to consider the risk of allergic effects, if a person has an individual intolerance to at least one of the components of the composition of the cereal product. Diabetics should not abuse dishes with oatmeal. With cardiac and renal insufficiency, doctors recommend refusing to use this cereal at all.
Interesting facts about oatmeal
- In Russia the oat grain was pounded, not ground. Bread was baked from oatmeal, and a lot of other tasty dishes were prepared.
- Experienced housewives use oat groats to remove unpleasant flavors from the refrigerator. Just pour a handful of flakes into a container and put it on a shelf in the refrigerator.
- In folk medicine, oatmeal is used to treat sunburns. To do this, you need to soak some flakes in milk, and the resulting mass to apply to the burns.
- The French doctor Catherine, who lived in perfect health till 120 years old, used to drink tincture of oat grains daily. This man believed that only due to an unusual potion he managed to reach such an age.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only. purposes. Consult a specialist before applying any recommendations. specialist before using any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."