Oat milk: what it is, useful properties, how to cook it
Milk made from oatmeal is a very valuable and nutritious product, rich in useful substances and vitamins. It can be easily prepared at home, without spending a lot of money and using a minimum of products. Lovers of oatmeal will like milk based on this crop, both in pure form and with the addition of various spices.
- Composition and calories
- What is oat milk good for?
- General benefits
- For women
- For Men
- For breastfeeding
- For children
- Slimming down
- Oat milk in medicine
- Diabetes mellitus
- For pancreatitis
- For gastritis
- For constipation
- For liver
- Cosmetic use
- Harm and Contraindications
- How to Store Properly
- How to Make Oat Milk at Home
- Can I boil oat milk?
- What can be made with oat milk: Recipes
- Interesting facts about oats
For your information. Oat milk is used in the preparation of baked goods, porridges, desserts and puddings.
This drink, of course, is not the real milk that most people are used to. Oat flakes and water are used to make it. To enhance the taste and create spiciness, you can add cardamom, vanillin, honey or cinnamon to the finished product.
Composition and calories
Oat milk contains in its composition a variety of macro- and micronutrients, useful for human health. The product contains significant amounts of calcium, manganese, copper, iron, sodium and magnesium. The composition includes vitamins B, H and E. Sugars of natural origin, dietary fiber and fiber, as well as various amino acids are present. Milk contains the most carbohydrates - 7 g, fat - 1.3 g and protein - 0.3 g.
There are only 43 kcal in 100 g of the finished product.
What is oat milk good for?
- This drink helps the body to cope with cholesterol, thereby improving heart function and favorably affecting the vascular system.
- Including oat milk in your daily diet, you can forget about such problems as constipation and flatulence. This drink stabilizes the gastrointestinal tract and helps the body to protect the mucous membranes of the stomach from harmful microorganisms, gets rid of the effects of poisoning.
- By taking this product constantly, you can protect your body from diseases such as gastritis and ulcers. People suffering from diseases such as pancreatitis, hepatitis or cholecystitis are prescribed to drink this drink regularly, because it has the property of eliminating excess bile.
- The drink helps to strengthen the bones and teeth, hair and nails because of the presence of calcium, which in this product is very easily absorbed by the body.
- The product can get rid of coughs and contributes to a quick recovery from colds.
- When losing weight it is an indispensable helper, dulling the feeling of hunger for a long time, speeding up the metabolism.
- As part of milk there is fiber, which can normalize the gastrointestinal tract. It serves as a preventive agent against intestinal, stomach and gallbladder disorders.
- The product has a beneficial effect on hair and skin, moisturizes and relieves irritation.
This drink is most often used by women as a means to lose weight. It is also used to prepare various masks. Few people know that oat milk has a beneficial effect on the endocrine and genitourinary systems. Women who suffer from high sugar should definitely include the drink in their diet, as it has a low glycemic index and is very beneficial for the body.
Specialists in the course of studies have found that oat milk promotes the production of serotonin, the hormone of happiness. On the basis of this drink can be prepared a large number of simple and delicious dishes. Drinking one glass a day, already in a month you can notice an improvement in the state of your skin. Milk from oat flakes improves metabolism, organizes the smooth operation of the gastrointestinal tract, cleanses the intestines.
Men who often drink oat milk are less likely to suffer from cardiovascular diseases. This product also helps to prevent diseases such as atherosclerosis, stroke, or heart attack. Vitamin E, which is part of the drink, helps the body to increase the number of sperm cells, increase their activity, contributes to the production of the male sex hormone - testosterone.
Oat milk is useful during pregnancy, as it contains folic acid, which helps the fetus to grow and develop, preventing various complications. It can cope with bouts of toxicosis. Because of the high fiber content in the drink, you can forget about the problem of constipation, which bothers almost every woman in the position.
This product is useful when breastfeeding, as it helps to quickly restore the body after childbirth, prevent the occurrence of anemia. It also helps the baby grow quickly by delivering essential vitamins and micronutrients through the mother's milk.
Oat milk helps the body produce oxytocin and relaxin, which have a calming effect on mother and baby, stimulate milk production, and increase attachment to the baby.
Oat milk contains a large amount of calcium, which is necessary for the growth of a small person. If the baby can not consume products that contain lactose and casein, then this drink is the best option. In addition, the vitamins in it are no less, and it is no less useful.
Give your child oat milk can begin no earlier than six months after birth. Until then, do not add it to the diet. If the baby is breastfed, he will get all the necessary vitamins and minerals through mother's milk. After the introduction of complementary foods, you can include kissels, porridges, casseroles made with oat milk.
With weight loss
Oat product in weight loss can be taken in different ways. You can drink it half an hour before a meal - this will save you from consuming too many calories, as the drink helps to reduce appetite. It can be used as the main product of the unloading day. You should not consume more than two liters of the drink during a day. This is a great drink for snacking.
Oat milk speeds up metabolic processes, promotes cleansing and getting rid of excess fluid. The product is worth using as the main component of a dietary diet. Fibre in milk will help to avoid overeating and not to stay hungry.
If you consume high-calorie food and drink enough milk per day, you will not lose weight anyway. The most important thing is that the body needs additional energy, then the oat product will contribute to enhance the effect by speeding up the metabolic processes.
An effective way to lose weight and cleanse the body will be a discharge day on milk from oatmeal. On this day, you can drink no more than two liters of drink during the day. Water can be drunk at will.
Oat milk in medicine
In itself, milk of oatmeal does not belong to medicines, but due to its rich vitamin composition it is an excellent aid in dieting, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, diabetes and a number of other pathologies. It is better to use milk made at home, as you can be sure that it has no additives, sweeteners, flavor enhancers.
Oat milk is enriched with fiber. With proper adherence to a diet that includes foods rich in fiber, you can reduce the risk of developing diabetes by 30%. In the presence of the disease, the product helps to stabilize blood sugar levels, thereby improving the overall condition of the body. The sugar-reducing component - beta-glucan - helps to slow down the absorption of glucose, thus alleviating diabetic symptoms. Also oat milk accelerates the healing processes of diabetic ulcers.
Important: The glycemic index of oat milk is 30 units.
Oat milk contains in its composition many useful substances that have a beneficial effect on the mucous membrane of the stomach. Experts have found that with this disease, the product promotes rapid recovery, maintaining the patient's body. To prepare a useful composition, you need to pour 160 g of oat flakes in 1.5 liters of water. Let the mixture infuse for about one third of an hour. Pour into the bowl of a blender and whisk. Filter through gauze or a fine sieve. The drink can be consumed at any time. In a cold place it can be stored for no more than 3 days.
With such a disease as gastritis, it is important to almost constantly follow a diet, because the food that enters the body is poorly digested by them, which has a negative impact on health. Gastritis can occur against a background of weakened immunity, food allergies, specific bacteria Helicobacter pylori, the use of medications that damage the mucous membrane of the stomach, improper nutrition, disorders of metabolic processes in the body.
Oat milk is an indispensable product for this disease. It helps to alleviate symptoms, helps to prolong and consolidate the results obtained. The drink envelops the mucosa and walls of the stomach, relieves pain, normalizes digestion thanks to fiber and vitamins in the product, rid the body of accumulated toxins, salts and harmful substances.
Oat milk contains nutrients that are beneficial to many processes in the human body. Fibre helps to improve intestinal peristalsis, thereby helping to eliminate constipation, pain and bloating. Drink will help restore the natural intestinal microflora.
To prepare an oatmeal drink, you need 45 grams of oat flakes pour 250 ml of warm water. Whisk the mixture in a blender. Drink on an empty stomach, you can drink several times if necessary.
For the liver
With liver disease, it is important to follow a strict diet. Therefore, oat milk will prove to be an indispensable source of vitamins and trace elements. Thanks to its rich composition, the drink helps to eliminate toxins and harmful substances from the body. In addition, oats have a choleretic effect, normalize intestinal peristalsis, remove excess fluid from the body and normalize sugar levels.
The most useful will be the consumption of cereals with an untreated husk. Porridge on oatmeal flakes, on the other hand, will not be of particular benefit to the liver.
Most often you can see oat milk on the shelves of cosmetic stores. And for good reason, it is in this form of this product brings great benefits for the skin of the face. It contributes to evening the skin color, gets rid of inflammatory foci, as well as acne, softens and moisturizes, copes with fine wrinkles. The easiest and most effective option is to wipe your skin with this drink in the morning or evening. You can also prepare a mask.
Do not use masks and use them for other cosmetic purposes for people who are allergic to oats or gluten intolerance.
- Face mask can be prepared as follows. You need to take 15 ml of oat milk and the same amount of mashed potatoes, add to the mixture a little bit of sour milk. The resulting mass of well stirred and apply to the face for a third hour. Rinse with clean water.
- If you make oat milk at home, then the cake remains. It can be used as a face mask. Apply to the skin, except around the eyes, for a third of an hour. Rinse off with warm water. The result is a firm and taut skin. The mask helps to narrow pores and eliminate irritation on the skin. The main thing is not to go out for several hours after the procedure.
- Rubbing the face with a sponge that is soaked in oat milk, you can achieve a wonderful result - the skin will gain a radiant look.
- In order to get rid of split ends, you need to do the following procedure. For it you need a mixture consisting only of thick oat milk. It should be applied to clean, slightly damp hair for 10 minutes. Wash off the mask should be warm water. It is best to apply this mask twice a week or a course of 14 days, after which you need to give a month to rest the hair.
- To prepare a restoring mask for hair you need to mix 2 egg yolks with 15 grams of any cosmetic oil. In a separate container, pour 5 tablespoons of oat flakes with half a cup of milk and give time to swell, about a quarter of an hour. After that, all the ingredients mix together until a homogeneous consistency. Apply the mask to dry hair along the entire length, rubbing into the scalp. After applying, put on a plastic cap and wrap the hair with a towel. Keep the mask for about a third of an hour. Rinse with warm water, then you can wash your hair with shampoo. You can perform this procedure once a week.
Harms and contraindications
- Oat milk contains gluten, so it should not be consumed by people suffering from such a disease as celiac disease.
- Oats are an allergen.
- Phytic acid in oats causes a number of complications with osteoporosis.
- You can drink oat milk for diabetes only in a limited amount, because due to the starch content of oats, it saturates the body with a lot of glucose.
- Because of the high content of calcium in oats, it can aggravate the condition of a person who has kidney problems - glomerulonephritis.
- In the acute stage of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, it is better to give up the drink.
How to store it properly
In the refrigerator, the drink, cooked at home, can be stored for no more than 4 days. It should be in a glass container, it is better to shake it before use.
How to make oat milk at home
It is better to take real cereal for cooking, since it preserves all the nutrients as much as possible. But even with flakes you can make a good drink. You should take 500 grams of oat flakes, for example "Hercules", and pour to them 2 liters of water. Leave it to swell for a quarter of an hour. Whisk the mixture with a blender until it is homogeneous. The resulting drink can be passed through a fine sieve or gauze, but it is not necessary.
To prepare milk from real unrefined cereals, you will need 250 grams of culture and 1 liter of boiled milk. Boil the mixture on low heat for about 1.5 hours. Give time to cool, then strain through gauze.
There is another way to make milk from the grains. You need to take two cups of raw oats and pour them with 1 liter of distilled water. Leave it to infuse for 12 hours. After the time has elapsed, whisk the mixture and filter it.
Can you boil oat milk?
It is not recommended to boil oat milk, because due to the heat treatment it loses its useful properties, and the taste of the drink also changes. But if you still need to boil it, then at high temperatures it will not curdle, and it will behave almost like cow's milk.
What you can make with oat milk: recipes
To prepare carrot buns with the addition of oat milk, you need the following products:
- oat flakes - 2 tbsp;
- glass of water;
- flour - 1.5 cup;
- grated carrot - 100 gr;
- granulated sugar - 15 gr;
- salt - 5 gr;
- corn oil - 15 gr;
- quick yeast - 5 gr;
- orange peel - 15 gr.
Stages of preparation:
- First, prepare the milk of the oatmeal. Pour the cereal with water and let it swell for 10 hours.
- After the time has elapsed, whisk the mixture and strain through gauze.
- Add corn oil, carrots, sugar and salt, orange zest and a teaspoon of quick-acting yeast to the milk. Stir in the flour and knead the dough.
- Place in a warm place so that the yeast begins to work and the dough rises. This will take no more than 45 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a sausage shape and cut it into 8-9 pieces, make rolls and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment or greased with butter.
- Place the ready buns in a warm place so that they will rise slightly.
- At this time, heat the oven to 180 degrees. Bake the buns once they have risen for about half an hour.
- Decorate the finished pastry with powdered sugar or cinnamon.
To prepare pancakes made with oat milk is very simple. For this you will need the following products:
- eggs - 3 pcs;
- oatmeal drink - 500 ml;
- boiling water - 500 ml;
- soda - 2 grams;
- sifted flour - 500 gr;
- sugar - 20 gr;
- salt - 0,5 teaspoon or to taste;
- oil for greasing and adding to the dough - 60 g.
- Break the eggs in a deep bowl, add to them sugar and salt to taste, the resulting mixture whipped.
- Pour the milk and boiled hot water into the mixture, add the baking soda.
- Add flour and whisk well to avoid lumps.
- To prevent the pancakes from sticking to the pan, pour 50 g of sunflower oil into the batter.
- Let the ready pastry stand for about 15-20 minutes to mix the ingredients, and then you can safely proceed to frying.
Interesting facts about oats
- Cultivation of oats began to be engaged in the very beginning of our era. This process originally took place, based on some sources, in southeastern Europe, Asia Minor. Specialists believe that the ancestor of the modern oats was the Asian wild red oats. It is, however, no longer possible to confirm this fact with certainty.
- Some scientists believe that oats came from the sunken Atlantis, like many other cereal crops. It was a gift of the goddess Demeter to mankind. After people began to change where they lived, oats came to other lands along the northern route. It was cultivated under climatic conditions suitable to the cereal.
- Previously, oats were only considered a fodder crop. It was fed to horses, pigs, and sheep. It seemed strange and ridiculous to the Romans and Greeks that many Germanic tribes included oats in their meals. We know from ancient writings that Germanic settlements were cultivating the crop as early as the beginning of our era.
- The Roman scholar Galen wrote in his works (129-200) that oats were also cultivated in India.
- Dioscorides, the ancient Greek physician and naturalist and one of the founders of botany, described this plant in detail in his writings. He claimed that oats had medicinal properties and practiced their use in treating his patients.
- Decandol, a biogeographer and Swiss botanist, the creator of the first scientific concept of the emergence of cultivated plants, claimed in his works that neither the ancient Egyptians nor the ancient Jews knew about this crop.
- It is a documented fact that the Anglo-Saxons cultivated oats in large quantities in England as far back as 779.
- This crop is perhaps the only one of its kind that can grow in humid and cold climates. That's why the people of England and Scotland had been eating scones made from flour made from oats for centuries.
- In the early 7th century, the culture also appears in ancient Russia. This cereal quickly spread throughout the territory of the state because of its unpretentiousness and ability to take root in cold climates. Oat flour, porridge, kissel and other dishes based on this culture became the daily food of the Russian people for more than a century.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only. for informational purposes only. Please consult with your health care professional before using any of the recommendations. specialist before using any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."