Palm oil: in what products is palm oil, harm or benefit
Statistics show that palm oil is the most common on the Russian market. It is used in large quantities for industrial purposes - in the manufacture of candy, milk and many other products.
- What palm oil is made of
- What is the difference between coconut oil and palm oil
- Composition and Calorie
- What palm oil does for you
- General benefits
- For women
- For men
- For breastfeeding
- For children
- Palm Oil in Traditional Medicine
- Palm Oil in cosmetology
- Its Benefits for the Person
- How to Use It Properly
- Popular Facial Recipes
- Skin Cleansing
- Harm and Contraindications
- Heart and Vessels
- Digestive System and more
- Danger for Children
- Environmental Damage
- How to store it correctly
- What foods contain palm oil?
- Why do they add it?
- How to Identify Palm Oil in Food
- How to Distinguish Palm Oil from Palm Oil
- Interesting Facts about Palm Oil
What palm oil is made of
This type of raw material began to be used since ancient times. The earliest mention is recorded about 5000 years ago. The basis is the fruit of the oil palm, which grows in African countries. The process of processing in enterprises and bringing it to readiness includes such stages:
- Transportation of fresh fruit for processing. This should take no more than a day, otherwise the oil will not be of the best quality.
- Cleaning from debris, various insects, steam sterilization.
- Separation of oil from the pulp by pressing.
- Washing away impurities.
- Standard refining.
Before the final step, the oil has a red-orange hue. Only after the final processing does it take on its familiar color.
The product is divided into three main types, depending on its composition and properties:
- The first type has a pronounced red pigment, signaling a high carotene content, such as in tomatoes. In the production process, a soft squeeze is used, which preserves the useful components in the composition. It has a sweetish taste and pleasant smell. According to doctors, it is the most useful oil of the palm oil species.
- Refined and deodorized oils have a completely different technology. This product is suitable for the food industry. They are completely devoid of color and odor. There are very few useful substances in the composition.
- Chemical raw materials. Oil with a minimum level of purification is used in the production of household chemicals, cosmetics, etc. It is unsuitable for human consumption because it contains harmful to the body oxidized fats. In terms of cost, it is the cheapest type.
Some experts say that recently the cases of adding it to food products are increasing. This way the producers reduce the cost of goods, and consequently make more profit. Therefore, you should be cautious about the palm oil in the composition.
What is the difference between coconut oil and palm oil?
Coconut itself is considered a very useful fruit. Production is spreading all over the country, because the costs come out cheaply, and the quality of the final product remains at a high level. The finished product is used for frying, for cosmetic purposes, and for food production. Coconut oil prevails over palm oil in terms of its useful properties.
By consistency, coconut extract has a thick colorless liquid state. As soon as the temperature drops, it solidifies and takes on a white color. As for the palm fruit, it has a foul odor and a red-orange hue.
Composition and caloric content
There are 899 kcal per 100 g of palm oil. The composition contains both saturated and unsaturated fats. The redder the hue of the product, the higher its beta-carotene content. In addition, the composition includes a large number of vitamins from categories from A to E. It also contains various acids such as lauric and palmitoleic acids, and phosphorus.
In general, if we conclude about the composition, we can say that the oil:
- Does not contain cholesterol (allowed to be consumed by people with heart and vascular problems);
- Thanks to the vitamins, it stimulates brain function;
- allows to saturate the body with energy due to its high caloric content;
- has a sufficient amount of saturated fats.
What is palm oil good for?
Because of the huge amount of vitamins in the composition improves the work of the heart and blood vessels. Some doctors recommend using this product for preventive purposes. It will reduce the risk of heart attack, stroke and other inflammatory diseases.
The body is saturated with complete micronutrients, including vitamin A. Therefore, palm oil is recommended for people who have problems with vision. The pressure inside the eyes comes back to normal and the blood supply improves. In recent years, the demand for office workers has increased. Their duties include regular work with the computer, which causes retinal fatigue syndrome. To avoid the consequences, it is worth including palm oil in your regular diet.
The gastrointestinal tract becomes inflamed because of aggressive elements that come in with food. To restore normal intestinal function, palm fruit extracts can help. Specialists advise oil for diseases such as biliary dyskinesia, ulcers, gastritis, etc.
As a side note. The presence of diabetes or obesity is not a reason to give up sweets. Diabetic products containing palm extract are good to consume.
In the crazy rhythm of life goes a lot of stress on the nervous system. To relieve stress, to unload emotionally, doctors recommend eating oil regularly. Brain function is greatly improved.
In cities with a bad ecological situation, it is difficult to maintain immunity. Since the palm fruit contains a huge amount of vitamins, it allows you to saturate the body with all the necessary trace elements for the prevention of colds and infectious diseases.
As far as the female body is concerned, women of the weaker sex have their own reasons for consuming a squeeze of the palm fruit. It contains some of the most important vitamins for girls - A and E. It also contains a lot of unsaturated fats, which are beneficial for the reproductive system. The oil helps to maintain hormonal balance in normal, not allowing women to be very nervous during the critical days. In addition, doctors advise its use for the prevention of various uterine diseases and inflammatory processes in the breasts. For serious diagnoses, oil tampons can help.
If you eat this product regularly, you can avoid osteoporosis, ligament and joint diseases. It is enough to include it in your diet after the age of 30.
For men, palm oil will allow them to have more energy at a mature age. Young guys are ready to do what they love 24 hours a day. Thirty or forty years of age is not a reason to give up activity. The enormous amount of triglycerin in its composition is responsible for the burst of energy. Athletes, powerlifters and bodybuilders can safely replace the usual sunflower product with palm oil.
During the period of carrying the baby, doctors advise taking red oil by a tablespoon a day. This for 9 months allows you to avoid problems with the formation of the child's muscular system. Also, during this period, women are most susceptible to infectious diseases. Vitamins in the composition will help to maintain immunity and protect the body from aggressors.
Breastfeeding is a very sensitive and exciting process. Therefore, it is necessary to choose foods with special care. During the breastfeeding process, the skin on the nipples is often exposed to damage. Palm oil has a positive effect on cracks and wounds, accelerating their healing and preventing infection. For the baby, it helps in the formation of teeth, bones and joints.
The squeeze of the fruit is used in children's nutrition. In order for a child to develop and grow properly, his body needs to be saturated with nutrients. Vegetable oil is prescribed by doctors to babies from 6 months of age, as it contains beta-carotene. As you get older, the dose increases. Another important component for growth is palmitic acid. It is responsible for natural development.
Few people know that it is forbidden to use pure oil in baby formula. Only this acid is added to children's diet. Conducted medical research has proven its safety for the body. Therefore, what is instilled in young mothers about the negative impact is a myth. This food supplement does not cause allergic reactions, which is important for a child. The main rule is to limit the amount consumed. An overabundance can lead to bad consequences. This does not mean that palm fat is dangerous. Any product is useful only if used in moderation.
When losing weight.
Oil for weight loss is an issue that has long been debated by experts. Someone says that a beautiful figure and high-calorie products are not compatible. Someone, on the contrary, is trying to prove that vegetable fats are the best natural source of vitamins and nutrients.
The quantity and quality of food eaten plays an important role. For example, nutritionists say that if 80% of the diet consists of correctly cooked healthy food, then candy with palm oil in it won't do any harm.
It is important to be aware that large amounts of fat are very harmful not only for the figure, but also for health in general. Therefore, it is necessary to dose its amount in the diet. Properly calculated consumption will saturate the body with vitamins. Since butter has a high caloric value, it quickly makes you feel full. This allows you to make meals less frequently.
Some nutritionists recommend consuming one to two teaspoons of it on an empty stomach a day. This will help prepare the walls of the gastrointestinal tract for food intake.
The use of palm oil in folk medicine
This oil is useful not only for ingestion. Many doctors use it for certain procedures.
- Dentists make a solution that is applied to gauze napkins. The soaked material is applied to the inflammation. It relieves the swelling in a short period of time.
- Proctologists soak oil in tampons, which are used to treat anal fissures or hemorrhoids. The extract is also suitable for cleansing with micro enemas.
- In skin centers, lotions are used to heal burns and bedsores. They are also used to treat mild stages of psoriasis, acne, and other dermatological diseases. The oil is able to relieve the pain of cuts and wounds, so you can use it even at home.
Red palm oil is an expensive product. But it is it that has the most number of useful properties, compared to other types. Therefore, in folk medicine it can often be found in therapeutic compositions. For each disease, there are their own recipes, which grandmothers pass on to their grandchildren.
Note! Regardless of the type of mixture, it is not recommended to heat it. Otherwise, all the useful functions can turn into negative ones.
- In such a disease as gout, you can prepare an invigorating ointment. This will require lemon, grape seeds, lavender and pine sap, and, of course, palm fat. Mix everything and apply to the damaged limbs.
- For arthritis another composition will help. There include oil, juice of lavender, lemon and pine. The mixture should be rubbed into the problematic joints with massaging movements.
- Burns or cuts can quickly heal with folk remedies. Apart from palm oil, you don't need anything. It is enough to regularly apply it to wounds. This will accelerate the recovery of the skin.
- A mixture of oil with birch tar and finely chopped walnuts will help in dermatological diseases at an early stage. It is necessary to apply this composition to the skin at least twice a day.
- The fat can only be heated in this recipe. It should be brought to a hot melted state and applied to the nipples during breastfeeding. These measures will prevent cracking.
- It is not for nothing that palm oil is used in dentistry. It is excellent for relieving inflammation and swelling. It is enough to soak it in gauze and make compresses.
- With a diagnosis such as cervical erosion, it is imperative that you follow your doctor's recommendations. In addition, women can resort to supportive treatment. A tampon soaked in a little warm oil is excellent. This will help to relieve discomfort and discomfort.
Palm oil in cosmetology
The fat of palm oil is not only healthy when eaten but also has beneficial effects on the skin. A large number of women use this product in their daily care. It allows to overcome avitaminosis, dermatological damage, moisturize, saturate with vitamins, remove peeling and itching. As mentioned above, a poorly purified third kind of oil is used in cosmetics. It fully preserves its natural composition, but it is not suitable for food. In pharmacies you can often find two types of the product - from the seeds and from the pulp. You can use both varieties, they have almost the same properties for the skin.
Benefits for the face
The composition of the oil is all-natural, which is why it is so highly valued in women's circles. Vitamins such as A and E are important not only for the internal system, but also for a healthy appearance in general. They have a positive effect on the condition of the skin, nails and hair. But why buy expensive complexes when you can find it all in a cheap, and most importantly - natural, product. Vegetable masks are far behind in their usefulness.
The high moisture content in the cells is very important for the condition of the face. For this purpose, it is necessary to saturate the body with appropriate micronutrients. Palm oil contains a rare ingredient that can only be found in expensive care products. It is Q10. It allows a long time to keep your skin young, firm and "alive".
K and D are also important vitamins for facial beauty. The first of these is responsible for the removal of various kinds of inflammation and irritation. After the cosmetic peeling, specialists apply a composition to restore the top layer. It necessarily includes vitamin K.
Palm oil is actively used to make masks to fill the cells with unsaturated fats. This reduces sensitivity and irritability to external factors, removes dryness and peeling, has a regenerating effect. And it's all for little money. Those who really want to save money can buy a small bottle at the drugstore and make masks at home.
How to use properly
You can use palm oil in both liquid and solid form. It is not necessary to mix it with other components. It has excellent properties on its own.
There is no need to wait for any skin problems to occur. It is enough to carry around a small bottle. As soon as a feeling of dryness and tightness occurs, you can apply the fat to your face. This product is a must-have in hot or very cold weather.
If you do not want to walk around during the day with an oily face, it can be applied at night. Do not forget that the consistency does not allow for rapid absorption, so you will need to wait until it dries completely after application. If the skin is in good condition, but there are areas with peeling, you can periodically lubricate them.
When it is more usual to use regular creams or lotions, you can add a couple of drops of oil to the composition before applying it. In some cases, women may experience tightness. Then this method is not suitable for them, and only a baby cream can be mixed with the fat. Few people know, but the palm product is excellent foaming, so you can use it to make homemade natural soap.
A big plus of this oil is that all the vitamins in the composition have one hundred percent absorption in the body. This is rare. If we take into account other saturated products, most often a person is able to use only half of the useful elements. Vitamins of subgroup E are responsible for moisturizing and protective functions of the skin. They act as a kind of block against any hormonal changes or UV rays.
A popular problem among mature women is the loss of softness and elasticity of facial skin. In this case, palm oil can be used instead of night cream. Regular application will help to soften the rough areas.
The fat can also be added to a variety of homemade masks. If it is in a hardened state, it must first be melted on steam. The approximate temperature is 55 degrees.
Palm oil is a fairly strong product in itself. To increase the effect of the application, you can mix it with coconut oil and olive oil. This mixture can be carried in a purse in strong winds to lubricate flaky skin. For oily skin type, the recipe is not suitable.
Popular Facial Recipes
Those who know at least a little bit about the composition of cosmetics, first of all pay attention to the oil content in the composition. In order not to waste time looking for a suitable care cream, you can make it at home.
- Experts recommend using anti-aging ingredients only after the age of 35 years. For home remedies will need palm oil. It is heated on steam at 55 degrees and applied a thin layer to the skin of the face. This will help to prevent wrinkles. If you need to make them less noticeable, add vegetable and essential oils to the solution. They take away the depth.
- In addition to palm fruit extract, lavender and raw protein are added to the mask for firmness.
- If your skin is in good condition, it definitely needs to be maintained. This can be done with a heavy dose of vitamins. Freshly squeezed fruit juice, wheat flour and oil are used for the mixture. Such a mixture will saturate the face with beneficial micronutrients and create a revitalizing layer.
- This recipe is suitable only for people who are not allergic to mustard powder. The composition includes dry mustard, palm extract and boiled water. To avoid irritation, it is recommended to keep the mask for no more than 5 minutes. After it, experts advise to soften the skin with baby cream.
In addition to the nourishing effect, the face should be cleansed regularly. To do this, there are two recipes with oil in the composition.
- Heat the fat on steam to a temperature of about 55 degrees, moisten a cotton pad and wipe your face (as a lotion).
- A small amount of the extract drop on the palm of your hand, apply to the face and rub in with massaging movements.
Since palm oil is very soapy, it is a substitute for cleansers, while moisturizing and nourishing the skin.
When the skin is too sensitive, and pure cosmetic grease can cause discomfort, in which case it is recommended to add a couple of drops to a ready-made mask or cleansing foam and use in the usual ways.
Hazards and Contraindications
Palm oil has many beneficial properties, but only if it is made correctly. If in the process of pressing was violated technology, the finished product can cause health problems.
Another significant factor is how much fat is in the food. In a small amount, palmitic acid (the main component) does not cause cholesterol formation. But if you increase the portion, an overabundance of oil can lead to higher cholesterol levels.
Linoleic acid is the second important component. In itself, it is very useful for the body, because it reduces the same cholesterol many times over. The problem is that acids of this type are contained in the oil in insufficient quantities. At large volumes, it simply can not cope.
This can be solved by introducing foods into the diet that will maintain the balance. For example, cedar oil. But people with little money are not profitable to buy two products that replace each other.
Heart and Vessels.
First of all, from an overabundance of cholesterol increases the risk of cardiovascular disease. In those countries where products with a high content of palm oil are widespread, according to statistics, a large percentage of mortality is due to heart disease.
In excessive amounts in the body, cholesterol clogs up blood vessels, which promotes the formation of plaques. They don't allow blood to circulate properly. The pressure goes up, so there is less oxygen to the cells. When such problems arise, the human body is unable to cope with the aggressors on its own. Only medical intervention will help.
The digestive system and not only
With violations of the technology of palm oil production, it becomes dangerous for the gastrointestinal tract. Difficulties in the work of the digestive system can appear. The body can not fully break down the components, turning them into toxins and slags.
One of the most serious negative consequences is the risk of developing cancer. Of course, it's not just the consequences of increased fat intake. All saturated components push the occurrence of this type of disease. Therefore, it is important to monitor the amount eaten and the composition of products.
It is important to understand that the negative impact on health cannot be noticed immediately from one eaten candy. The effect accumulates over the years. Your blood pressure slowly rises, and your desire to eat foods without trans fats decreases as addictive flavor enhancers are added to them. The emotional system gradually loosens up. But due to the high workload a person does not pay attention to this.
Danger for children
Suffer from low-quality palm oil not only adults, but also children. This is one of the most popular components in children's food. From birth is the process of forming the entire body, joints, muscles, skeleton. Therefore, negative influences can affect the growth and development of the child.
The first element that is so necessary for baby's teeth and bones is calcium. Doctors say that palm fat removes it from the body and does not allow it to be absorbed. After studies, scientists have found that a baby who does not eat oil has 50-75% more calcium in his body.
A child has a very sensitive digestive system. It is not able to digest heavy foods. Fat slows down the digestion of other components of baby formula, among which there are very important elements for the health of the baby.
Because parts of the food remain in the weak body, colic, pain, and bloating can occur.
Palm oil is not only dangerous to the person who consumes it in products. It is harmful to the environment. It is not the final product that has a negative impact on nature, but the production process itself. For mass production companies cut down huge areas of tropical forests to make room for plantations. This reduces the population of many plants and trees. This affects animals that seek refuge in their usual habitat and find only palm trees. They have nowhere to hide from predators and build homes. Therefore, some species are on the verge of extinction.
In addition, there is the danger of production for the employees who press and squeeze the oil. As the management tries to reduce the cost of the finished product, it hires refugee people from other countries. They work for "pennies" in terrible conditions with complete unsanitary conditions. It is worth noting that the manufacturing process is traumatic for the workers. And since they work without special protective clothing, the risk of disability increases.
How to Store Properly
In order for the oil not to lose its useful properties, it is important to store it correctly. To do this, you should choose a cool place without direct sunlight and moisture. At a temperature of +18 degrees, the fat will go to a solid state. In this case, it will not lose its function. If necessary, it can be heated by steaming.
What foods contain palm oil
Palm oil is widely used in food production:
- Ice cream. In the summertime, it is an indispensable treat that both adults and children love. Manufacturers usually do not hide the content of palmitic acid in the composition.
- Vegetable and butter oil. In cheap products very often palm fat is added. Therefore, you can not save money. Remember that first of all it affects your health.
- Dairy products. Who would have thought, but in cottage cheese, sour cream, kefir budget brands almost always add such oil.
- Chocolate. This sweetness is most fondly counterfeited by manufacturers. Making it from natural cocoa beans is a costly affair. This is why if there is a "milk bar" for 30 rubles on the shelf, it is oversaturated with palmitic acid.
Why do they add
What advantages does adding palm oil to products give manufacturers?
- The cost of production is reduced. To make it less expensive to produce, and therefore higher profit margins, managers prefer to use cheap low-quality raw materials.
- Transportation does not present any difficulties. The fat is transported in solid solidified form, and at production is already melted and added.
- Butter has a long shelf life, respectively, increases the storage time. This plays a big role in the manufacture of dairy products, as they fall into the category of perishable.
- Vegetable fat does not oxidize.
- Palm extract has a pleasant taste. The disadvantage is that with prolonged use a person gets used to and can no longer give up this taste.
How to determine the presence of palm oil in the product
Conscientious manufacturers always indicate the content of this component in the composition on the packaging. Legislation also prescribes this point. But some still manage to hide this fact from the eyes of consumers. This is done by masking the wording. For example, instead of palmitic acid, such a component as vegetable fat may be indicated. Most often the trick is used by baby food brands, as many young mothers do not want to buy products with such a component.
Such names as "sour cream product", "spread", etc. began to appear in stores. Under them lies an impure composition. But they are in demand, because they are a budget substitute for expensive products.
It happens that the producers violate the law by not indicating the whole composition on the package. If there is such a suspicion, it is worth to pay attention to the price. Cheap dairy products simply do not exist. Their production in itself is very expensive. The second important point is the shelf life. Since palm oil can be stored for a long time, it increases the exploitation of the circulation.
Because of the increasing number of complaints, from next year the legislation will require producers to describe the full composition of vegetable fats. In the meantime, the most reliable guarantee is the GOST mark.
How to distinguish butter from palm oil
It is worth immediately identifying that palm extract is a component of butter. In 80% of cases, it is added in the manufacture of spreads, margarines, etc. More often than not, you can come across counterfeit products. They have a similar consonant name and packaging with a well-known company. People, in a hurry, do not notice the difference.
When buying cream products, first of all you need to pay attention to the price. To understand: to make a kilogram natural briquette, you need about 20 liters of fatty milk. Consequently, producers will not work "to their disadvantage" and set a low price for the product.
It is recommended to buy only with a GOST sign. This means that all the necessary standards have been complied with, there will be no harm to health.
There is a popular way to check whether the composition on the package lies. It is necessary to put the briquette in the freezer for 3-4 hours. The natural product will not be able to cut, it will crumble.
Interesting facts about palm oil
People know very little about palm fruit extract. For additional development, it is worth examining the sad facts that will make you think:
- One tablespoon contains 55 percent of the daily intake of saturated fat for humans.
- An area of forests equal to 300 soccer fields is cut down every hour for palm plantations.
- One-third of Indonesia's extinct animal species have disappeared because of mass logging.
- In remote areas of Malaysia, children work in oil production.
- Statistically, 110,000 people die each year because of smoke pollution in the air after burning fields for future plantations.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only purposes. Consult a health care professional before applying any recommendations. health care professional before applying any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."