Baked onions: useful properties and recipes for cooking
Probably, onions more often than other vegetables appear on our table. Without it, it is impossible to cook soup, a full-fledged second course of meat and fish. Onions are a mandatory component of most salads. Even children know about the benefits of this hot vegetable. But not all adults know that this popular root vegetable should be eaten not only raw, but also baked. The fact is that the composition of onions does not change during heat treatment, and some of their properties, on the contrary, are enhanced. It is no coincidence that our ancestors widely used baked in the Russian oven onions to treat boils, anemia, fevers and other diseases.
- Composition and calories
- How baked onions are useful
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- In Pregnancy
- For children
- For weight loss
- Baked onions in medicine
- For Diabetes Mellitus
- In pancreatitis
- For gastritis
- For gout
- For coughs
- For hemorrhoids
- For boils
- For coughs
- From barley
- Health Hazards and Contraindications
- How to Roast onions: Recipes
- In the oven
- In the microwave
- In the Multicooker
- Interesting facts about onions
For many centuries, onions have remained the main cure for colds and almost all infections, which in the old days often became the most common cause of mass mortality. Despite the emergence of modern powerful drugs, the healing properties of oven-baked onions are often used in home treatments. Fans of natural nutrition include such onions in their diet, adding them to different dishes or using them as a separate snack. In short, baked heads of onions even in our rapid times are still a good guardian of human health. To find out how this spicy vegetable manages to remain in the trend for centuries, let's get acquainted with its composition, properties, healing capabilities.
Composition and calories
If our ancestors were guided by the accumulated experience of centuries, modern people rely more on scientifically proven evidence of the usefulness of a particular product. Today, the composition of baked onions is well studied. It practically does not differ from the content of the components that are present in the fresh product. The baked vegetable has the following active ingredients:
- Ascorbic acid. In scientific terminology, this useful substance is referred to as vitamin C. Its share in the composition of baked onions is the most significant. This component strengthens the immune forces of the body, has antibacterial properties.
- Vitamin A - retinol regulates the synthesis of essential proteins, accelerates tissue regeneration, supports the normal course of oxidative and reducing processes. This component has a positive effect on the condition of the dermis.
- B vitamin complex is known to provide normal functions of the nervous and cardiovascular system, participating in energy metabolism.
A large composition of minerals is represented in the baked onion:
- Cobalt cleanses blood vessels of cholesterol, increases hemoglobin levels, positively affects the heart rhythm. One medium baked onion contains half of the daily amount needed for normal human health.
- Copper is an active participant in the process of hematopoiesis. This component is also responsible for the synthesis of melanin and protects the skin from the negative effects of external factors.
- Manganese has antioxidant properties. It cleanses tissues from toxins and neutralizes free radicals. The element promotes better absorption of calcium, strengthens the bone skeleton and joint cartilage.
- Iron transports oxygen to tissues and is involved in hematopoiesis. Thanks to these functions, it is possible to prevent the development of anemia.
- Potassium is essential for normal functioning of the myocardium, the heart muscle. This element also improves cellular metabolism and helps maintain normal water balance in tissues, preventing the development of edema.
- Iodine is necessary for the normal functioning of the endocrine and immune systems.
- Nickel also supports normal blood composition, activates insulin and has a positive effect on the hormonal background.
In addition to these components, baked onions contain flavonoids, a lot of fiber, folic acid and succinic acid. And essential extracts, which the fresh product is rich in, volatilize during heat treatment. For this reason, the baked vegetable is not bitter and loses its pungent specific flavor. We should also mention the presence of such a substance as quercitin, which inhibits the aging process. This substance is concentrated in the husks of onions. Therefore, it is useful to eat baked onions with the outer shell.
Onions in any form of cooking refers to a low-calorie food. The energy value of a 100-gram serving of the spicy vegetable after baking in the oven is only 36 kcal. However, carbohydrates account for about 10% of the composition.
What are the benefits of baked onions
The rich biochemical composition of the spicy vegetable in baked form is generally beneficial to health. In principle, it is a reliable source of nutrition for the body. But, in addition to the general health effects, baked onions have a set of therapeutic properties, which increases its value. The list of its therapeutic properties includes:
- wound healing;
Of course, such a number of useful properties, which is concentrated in one head of onion baked in the oven or cooked in another culinary way, you should use even quite healthy people. Let's analyze why the spicy product is useful for certain groups of people.
For the female population, the vegetable is extremely necessary at any age. This versatile product stimulates brain activity, protects the body from colds and flu, and helps regulate blood pressure levels. In addition to the preventive effect, baked onions are useful for gynecological pathologies.
- With cervical erosion, it can be used in combination with honey to make vaginal suppositories. Such a variant as an auxiliary treatment is used for uterine myoma. After 2-3 months of such specific therapy, a positive effect will be noticeable: the damaged tissues will begin to recover, and the signs of inflammation will disappear without a trace.
- With cystic ovarian masses, folk healers suggest the following method of treatment: soak a head of baked onion in honey for 8 hours, then bring it to a pulp. From the onion and honey mixture to make tampons, which for 10 days to be inserted into the vagina before going to bed.
- A mixture of grated onion, garlic and honey will help cure endometriosis. The method used is similar to the previous methods. The course of treatment is 10 days.
- The list of useful properties of baked onions will be incomplete, if you do not remember its rejuvenating abilities. Home cosmetic procedures with its use will strengthen the nails, return a healthy shine to the curls. This is especially useful for women during the menopause, when the body suffers from a deficit of potassium, magnesium and other elements necessary to maintain beauty.
- If you regularly consume baked onions, they will help to normalize sleep, as well as reduce the negative effects of stress.
Of course, baked onions are very useful for women's health. But before its use as a therapeutic agent is still worth to consult with your doctor. This will help to properly compile a program of adjuvant therapy and determine an adequate dosage.
In ancient times, onions were called the "poor man's musk" because the product was especially popular among the commoners. The onion was called "poor man's musk" in ancient times because it was very popular among the common people. Onions were often eaten in large quantities: they were eaten fresh or baked in the oven with other vegetables. Such a snack helped peasants to endure the hardships of everyday life, but even after hard work a man was able to regularly perform his marital duties. And as we know, in the olden days families had many children, that is, the reproductive system of men and women worked without interruption. Even later, scientists found that baked onions are beneficial for men in the following ways:
- Stimulates the production of testosterone, the hormone on which men's sexual abilities depend.
- When baked, it is an excellent prophylactic against prostate cancer.
- It cleans blood vessels of cholesterol and widens their lumen, which significantly reduces the risk of strokes and heart attacks.
- Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it is useful for inflammatory processes of the urogenital system.
- Can accelerate blood flow, providing a good potency.
Men can be recommended to eat onions baked with honey. Such a dressing will be a great addition to meat dishes and cheese. Consume such a snack is best for dinner shortly before intercourse.
Important! The baked onion itself is not a stimulant of erection, but its use normalizes metabolic processes and accelerates blood flow, that is, it has a general tonic effect on the male body.
Although many products for pregnant women are on the banned list, this does not apply to onions. Baked onions are especially useful for expectant mothers, because one medium head of the vegetable is able to provide the woman's body with a double portion of necessary mineral elements and vitamin supplements. And the content of folic acid in the spicy product enhances reproductive ability. Deficiency of this substance can lead to serious abnormalities in fetal development. It should not be forgotten that baked onions are a natural immunomodulator. During pregnancy, its presence in the diet will provide the mother and the future child with reliable protection against viral infections and colds. With the help of baked onions you can fight anemia, it will be a reliable supplier of material for the growth and development of the bone system of the fetus. In short, the benefits of baked onions for expectant mothers - this is a proven fact.
True, in the late term, the spicy vegetable should not be too fond of, but in the early months of pregnancy it will be very useful, especially in the spring.
If fresh onions due to a specific flavor can not be added to the food of a nursing mother, then the baked vegetable is deprived of such an unpleasant feature. And after all, a woman after childbirth needs to regain strength and reinforce vitamin supplements. The useful vegetable after a brief heat treatment can help nursing mothers with the following properties:
- Stimulates the secretion of digestive secretions, which speeds up the process of digestion.
- Increases intestinal motility, and this ability eliminates constipation, which often becomes a serious problem in the first months after childbirth.
- Thanks to phytoncides - natural antibiotics, which are part of the garden spice, cleanses the body of pathogenic bacteria and viruses.
- Increases lactation, which is very important if there is a lack of breast milk.
It is worth remembering about the healing capabilities of the baked vegetable.
So, compresses with it in combination with carrots and sour milk will help with mastitis. If you grate an onion head that has been in the oven for 5 minutes, and then combine with honey, such a composition can be applied to inflamed hemorrhoids.
Baked onions will enrich the diet of nursing mothers, if there are no contraindications to the use of the product. But if a woman appears allergic manifestations, or the baby after changes in the mother's diet will be marked by bloating of the tummy and diarrhea, you will have to remove the valuable product from the menu.
Young children do not add onions to food. Only after one year, the spice can be given in boiled or baked form in small portions. Since this method of cooking keeps intact all the useful substances of the composition, baked onions will provide the growing body with vitamins and minerals, protect it from pathogens and parasites, help strengthen the immune system. Baked onions are rich in fiber, which is important for normal baby digestion and regular stools. It is best added to soups, vegetable purees.
The spicy vegetable is widely used in the home treatment of colds, bronchitis. But not all young patients willingly take such a medicine inside. A few useful tips will help to remove this problem from the agenda:
- Cooked onions should be given after meals.
- It should be washed down with water or milk.
- When coughing, onions should be combined with honey or milk to soften the taste.
- For children, it is best to bake white or red varieties.
When losing weight
Low calories combined with a set of useful substances make baked onions an ideal product for weight loss. And in this field, a person who wants to return a slender shape to his figure, can act without restrictions. Baked onions can be eaten pure, added to salads, first courses. Even a hundred gram portion of the vegetable will cover a quarter of the body's daily requirement for dietary fiber, that is, fiber. Such a supplement will speed up the metabolism, ensure the removal of toxins from the body, strengthen bones, regulate blood sugar and blood pressure. But there is one significant "but" - baked onions for weight loss should be eaten without spices and sauces.
Baked onions in medicine
Treatment with baked onions was widely practiced in Russia in ancient times. Many unique recipes we inherited from them. Official medicine, in general, refers favorably to such treatments, if they are used in addition to the basic set of therapies. But sometimes only through the use of baked vegetables it is possible to get rid of such unpleasant problems as corns and corns. Let's list in which pathologies such onions will be useful:
- dermatitis and other skin diseases;
- weakened immune system;
- poorly healing wounds;
- heart rhythm disorders;
- bronchitis, laryngitis;
- dental caries;
- digestive disorders;
- diseases of the genitourinary system;
- risk of atherosclerosis;
- blood clotting problems;
- helminth infections.
This is only part of the pathological conditions in which not only you can, but also need to use the healing properties of the spicy vegetable in baked form.
Inclusion in the diet of such a supplement will help normalize blood pressure and recover people who have undergone surgery or a serious illness.
Let's briefly describe what is useful for baked vegetable in various pathologies.
In diabetes mellitus
The ability of the baked root vegetable to regulate glucose levels has long been proven. Therefore, endocrinologists strongly recommend to include it in the diet of diabetics. And it should be eaten regularly, not from time to time. Only if this condition is met can we expect positive dynamics in the patient's condition.
Sugar values can be brought close to normal due to the content of the useful vegetable substance glyconin, which reduces the need for insulin. Sulfur stimulates cell receptors, and iodine normalizes thyroid function.
Once in the oven, diabetics should consume the vegetable daily. It is enough to eat one small head of onion to improve the results of laboratory tests. Infusion of baked onions is useful for diabetics. To prepare the preparation is simple:
- Chop a baked onion.
- Pour the resulting pulp with fully boiled water.
- Insist exactly one day in the refrigerator.
Drink the infusion before meals, 1/3 cup at a time. In the drink you need to add a few drops of wine vinegar.
The diet for acute pancreatitis does not allow the presence in the food of products that irritate the pancreas. But in the period of stable remission, it is allowed to use baked onions in small portions. Of course, to approve such an intention must necessarily be a doctor.
Gastroenterologists do not welcome the use of raw vegetable by patients with ulcers and gastritis, because it irritates the mucosa of the stomach and intestines, which can provoke the appearance of ulcers. But in baked form, the spicy vegetable can be included infrequently in the diet. Since the body of a sick person is deficient in useful substances, baked onions will be a source of necessary components to support health.
The healing properties of baked onions can play a key role in the treatment of gout. Since this pathology disrupts purine metabolism, resulting in uric acid accumulation in the form of crystals in the joints, roasted onions can help normalize metabolic processes. In addition, the product has a powerful antioxidant effect. His use as a folk remedy will remove harmful products from the body, as well as reduce painful sensations. Naturally, it is possible to achieve a positive result of home therapy only if you follow the recommended dosage and scheme of application recommended by the recipe.
Methods of folk therapy:
- For internal use, the infusion of baked onions is suitable, which should be taken with gout on a third of a glass on an empty stomach for 15-20 days.
- Good help in this disease are compresses of onion pulp.
Of course, such a useful vegetable must necessarily be eaten to saturate the body with vitamins and minerals.
With a cough
Onion therapy is very popular for colds and coughs. Given the fact that in the baked form the vegetable differs from the raw, such a treatment is suitable for children and pregnant women. Particularly effective baked onions for an intense cough, which is accompanied by severe chest pain. For practical use, here are two simple recipes:
- After twenty minutes in the oven, grind the onion, combine it with 50 g of softened butter and exactly the same amount of honey. The mass is well mixed, determine in a suitable container. Children can be given such a paste 1 tsp. after the main meals, and for adult patients a single dose is equal to 1 tbsp.
- Chop an onion, then fill a bottle with it and seal it. It is better to coat the vessel with dough on top, and then send it to the already heated oven. When the dough stopper is baked, you can remove the "cough medicine" from the oven. The juice formed in the process of baking can be taken orally after a meal up to 4 times a day.
Immediately it should be admitted that the most recipes on the basis of onions from hemorrhoids. The complex effect of the roasted vegetable in this disease is so effective that doctors refuse to believe in such miracles. We offer a couple of the most powerful therapeutic recipes:
- In the absence of bleeding from hemorrhoidal lumps, you need to apply half a warm baked onion head to the delicate place twice a day. Keep the natural compress for at least 20 minutes, so it is better to lie down for the duration of the procedure. The course of such therapy is 14 days.
- In parallel with the external procedures, it is necessary to eat half of a baked root vegetable every day. The consumption of a useful product will localize foci of inflammation in the intestines, relieve pain in the anal area, get rid of constipation.
The causative agent of furunculosis is most often Staphylococcus aureus. It is resistant to aggressive agents, but it cannot defend itself against the onion influence. Filled with purulent content, the element on any area of the skin will quickly resolve if you apply the following method of treatment:
- Two parts of the pulp obtained from the baked onion, mix with one part of laundry soap, grated on an ordinary grater.
- The resulting mixture should be applied to the problem area, covered with a clean cloth and secured with a plaster.
- After a few hours, replace the bandage.
The antibacterial properties of baked onions relieve inflammation of the respiratory tract in pneumonia and bronchitis. A mixture of warm onion mush and oil is especially good for coughs. Both ingredients should be taken in equal proportions. The resulting paste take 1 tsp. Another exotic method of treatment: one onion and a couple of garlic cloves should be placed in a heated oven for 5 minutes, then bring the spicy vegetables into a homogeneous pulp. This mixture should be applied to a piece of cloth and placed on the chest, bypassing the heart area. Hold the onion-garlic compress for 15-20 minutes.
If the first signs of onions on the eye are detected, you need to immediately turn on the oven to bake in it a head of onion. The remedy for barley is simple but effective: half or half a plate of the vegetable should be put on the eye and kept for 20 minutes. Such a procedure should be performed more often to accelerate the maturation of pustules.
The dosage of the "onion" medicine depends on the nature of the disease and the age of the patient. To treat children, you should choose only safe options, and it is best to consult a pediatrician. Usually the positive result of external application of baked onions is noticeable almost immediately, and the internal therapy brings its results only after a week.
Harm and contraindications
A huge range of useful actions, unfortunately, does not exclude the presence of contraindications. This property is characteristic of any dosage form, including remedies of folk treatment with baked onions. The vegetable is forbidden to use under the following pathological conditions:
- acute pancreatitis;
- Individual intolerance to the product;
- Exacerbation of peptic ulcer disease.
Uncontrolled consumption of the product in food can cause such side effects as:
- high blood pressure;
- mood swings;
- Increased acidity of gastric juice.
With the rational use of such a useful product, improvements in health will be noticeable almost immediately.
How to bake onions: recipes
For baked onions to show their therapeutic qualities to the maximum, they must be properly baked. For this purpose, an ordinary oven, a microwave oven or a multicooker are equally suitable. Before starting the task, it is necessary to select the "right" onions. Roots of medium size correspond to such characteristics, as they have a harmoniously balanced composition.
How to choose and cook onions:
- Onions for baking should be intact and dense to the touch, without any extraneous odors.
- Of course, ideally, cook onions grown on your own homestead plot, as this ensures protection from pesticides.
- Preparation of the product includes clearing the root vegetable of dirt, treatment with water and drying.
- Bake onions with husks in foil for 15-20 minutes at 180-200°C.
- When the vegetable is golden and translucent, remove it from the oven.
Now let's look at ways to bake onion heads using different household appliances.
In the oven
To use as a therapeutic agent, onions should be baked in the oven using the classic method, that is, together with the husks wrapped in foil. It is better to add olive oil for consumption. The product will be delicious if the onion is divided into four parts, salted a little, and then sprinkled with oil. Cover the onion cut on top with a sheet of foil. Cooking time is 30 minutes.
There is also an express method of baking the vegetable. Peeled onion should be cut in half. Cover the baking tray with a sheet of parchment, on which you place the onion with the cut side down. Bake for 7 minutes at a temperature of 170°C.
In the microwave
The whole process of baking onions in the microwave takes about 15 minutes. This way of cooking the vegetable is suitable for diabetic patients. To brighten up the unleavened taste, you can salt the onions a little, and after a splash of any vegetable oil.
How to cook:
- Peel a medium head of onion, rinse thoroughly under water, and cut in two pieces.
- In the bowl of a microwave, put the vegetable slices, add 150 ml of vegetable broth.
- Put it on maximum power.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
The readiness is determined by the color of the product: if it is golden - the onion snack is ready to eat.
In a multicooker
This method of cooking is also more suitable for gastronomic needs. Onions baked in the multicooker can be included in the diet for various diseases or used to correct body weight. This is the easiest way, but it requires more time.
Algorithm of action:
- Several heads of onions peel, cut into halves or plates.
- In the container of the machine first add a few drops of vegetable oil, and then lay out the vegetable cuttings.
- Turn on the "Baking" mode.
- In half an hour the onion snack will be ready.
Interesting facts about onions
- It is believed that the onion is the first crop that began to be cultivated by man. Its age is about 7 thousand years. Archaeological excavations in Russia suggest that onions began to be cultivated here about a thousand years ago.
- Today there are more than 400 varieties of the vegetable in the world.
- In addition to its nutritional value, onions have the ability to attract wealth. At least, that's what magicians and esotericists believe.
- Onions not only save from various diseases, they are an indispensable helper in everyday life: the juice can clean the fat from the stove, it scares away insects. True, dogs are also afraid of it.
- During the first Olympic Games the vegetable was used as a doping to enhance the athletes' abilities.
- In times of war, onions were used as an antiseptic to treat wounds.
- There were times when the vegetable served as the most traded currency.
- And finally a useful tip: If your feet are very cold in winter, they should simply be covered with sliced onion rings. Such a simple method will increase the blood flow, and your feet will quickly warm up.
In conclusion, it remains to add that the regular presence in the diet of baked onions will not only help to improve health, but also to solve many old problems. The almost absolute safety of this valuable product allows it to be used for the diet of children, the elderly, pregnant women.
«Important: All information on the site is provided solely for introductory purposes. Consult a specialist before applying any recommendations. specialist before using any recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."