Dumplings: useful properties and contraindications
Surprisingly, this product is a favorite food of poor students and gourmets who recognize only gourmet dishes. And it is also invariably associated with a cozy home, a friendly family. Of course, it is dumplings - always delicious, appetizing, able to quickly satisfy the hunger.
- What is the difference between dumplings and dumplings
- What are dumplings called in different countries
- Composition and calories
- How to use dumplings
- Can I eat dumplings while breastfeeding?
- At what age can we give dumplings to children?
- Can we eat dumplings when losing weight
- Dumplings in medicine
- For diabetes
- For gastritis
- For constipation
- For gout
- In cholecystitis
- Hazards and contraindications
- How to choose and store dumplings
- How to Make Dumplings Dough
- Can Dumplings be boiled in a microwave oven?
- Filling types for dumplings
- Interesting facts about dumplings
What is the difference between dumplings and dumplings
- First of all, to recognize where a dumpling and where a dumpling, you can by the stuffing. Dumplings have a wide range of internal composition. Here there can be, in addition to meat, which should already be boiled and necessarily shredded, potatoes or cottage cheese, rice or beans, any mushrooms or carrots, fruits and seafood. And in the dumplings standard is the filling only of raw meat, it does not matter: it is pork or lamb, beef or chicken.
- There is a difference in the preparation of dough. For dumplings, the recipe allows for a simpler, unleavened dough, using, as for dumplings, only flour, water, spices and eggs. Some hostesses prefer to make dough for dumplings on yeast or take milk or dairy products instead of water.
- It is difficult to confuse these dishes due to the difference in appearance. Dumplings look very much like a crescent moon. When cooking, the ends should be firmly fastened, and the most exquisite are considered to have an ornament in the form of a braided thin pigtail around the edge.
- The dumpling has a rounded, thick shape. Its ends should also be firmly fastened, but only the tails are connected.
- There is also a difference in size: dumplings are usually larger.
As a second course, both dumplings and dumplings can be served. But dumplings can be cooked together with soup, and dumplings with a sweet filling can be a delicious dessert dish.
What dumplings are called in different countries
It turns out that pelmeni lovers know several words of the Udmurt language, as the translation of this culinary term breaks down into two words:
- "pel" - ear;
- "nyan" - bread.
In general, the creation of this dish belongs to the peoples of Siberia, but many nations have taken the simplicity of its preparation as a basis, so there are many interpretations.
- Manti. Widespread in Central Asia. The art of preparation is that the dough should be very thin, and the minced meat should be very fatty, from minced meat, with chunks of turkey fat. Real manty are boiled in a steam cooker which requires a special container called a cascade. These products are larger than usual dumplings and have a slightly different shape.
- Moultaschen. This type is prepared by German housewives. The translation sounds unusual: "deceive God" - and, most likely, this is the name given to the dish by the monks, trying on Good Friday to also eat meat products, hiding them in spinach. This is the first dish, as the moultas are cooked in a rich broth, and the dressing is beer or sauce.
- Modak. Rice flour is used for this sweet Indian dish, and the filling is also different, as it may contain nuts, coconut and cardamom. They can be made either steamed or deep-fried.
- Momo. This is a Tibetan dish whose filling consists of any meat, even goat meat.
- Baoji. They were invented by the Chinese, and in the filling they mostly put pork with cabbage or other meats and vegetables, as well as mushrooms - sometimes mixed, sometimes separately. There is another kind of dumpling among these people - dim sum. It is most likely a dessert, as it is filled in most cases with fruit, but the filling can be meat or fish. Another type, wontons, is served in soup. They put not only meat but also mushrooms, ginger, and young bamboo in the filling.
- Beriki. A dish of the Kalmyk steppes, for the preparation of which only the highest grade flour should be used. The stuffing is carefully prepared, because the meat must be finely chopped by hand. Lard is added to make it juicy.
- Boraki. Invented by Armenians. They differ from other types by the fact that the dough should be thin, and the stuffing should be fried beforehand. The top is left open and boiled in vertical position.
- Gurza. This Azerbaijani dumpling is named after the following nuance: in this Azerbaijani dumpling, a small hole is left during modeling. As soon as you bite into a viper, you will hear the sound imitating the snake hissing.
- Dumplings. These dumplings are beloved in Singapore. You have to be very careful with their recipes and make a strict number of protections with a bamboo stick. Skilled chefs make them in the shape of animals, flowers, and various objects.
- Dumplings - dish of many Slavic peoples. A distinctive feature is the dough based on mashed potatoes, in which minced meat is hidden. Kropkakoras in Sweden are made in the same way, but their potato dough is very thick and they take ham and bacon as a filling, seasoning the dish with lingonberry jam.
- Kreplach. Invented by the Jews. They are similar to the usual dumplings, but, of course, you can't find pork in the stuffing.
- Kurze. Preferred in Dagestan. Here you can find stuffing made of beef, mutton and chicken, with the addition of milk at the same time.
- Ravioli. Their homeland is Italy. They are smaller than usual dumplings, the dough should be very thinly rolled and the edges should be trimmed. They can be filled not only with meat, but also with fish, fruit or vegetables. Another Italian find is tortellini filled with meat or vegetables, as well as cheese, chestnuts, berries and mushrooms.
- Khinkali. In this Georgian dish, the stuffing must be prepared in advance. There should not be much water in the dough, because it is tight and very dense.
There are many more varieties of dumplings, which differ in the ingredients of the dough and stuffing, size and shape, even color.
Composition and calories
In real dumplings there are only natural products. This is flour, most often wheat flour, eggs and water. For a richer taste, salt and a small amount of sugar are usually added. The filling is primarily ground meat with various spices and onions. It is served with sauces, sour cream.
The result is a very filling dish rich in fat, carbohydrates and proteins. And the amount of carbohydrates prevails. The number of calories depends entirely on the recipe, on average it is about 170 kcal per 100 grams of product.
How are dumplings useful?
Due to the presence of useful substances in the components of dumplings, they are not only nourishing but also useful. They increase energy, helping to acquire efficiency.
The proteins in a portion of dumplings help the immune system replenish the amino acids that are so necessary for cell renewal. If the proteins that come with the food are not enough, the body starts to use its own - muscle proteins.
Dumplings contain many beneficial substances:
- Zinc. First of all, it ensures the normal functioning of the immune system and, as a component of many enzymes, prevents the emergence of free radicals. This element helps to eliminate uric acid and nitrogen from the body.
- Selenium. Its necessary amount prevents susceptibility to viruses and reduces the possibility of cancer.
- Copper. Copper prevents inflammatory processes and joint diseases, participates in hematopoiesis.
- Magnesium. Active aid in phosphorus metabolism, helps lower blood pressure.
- Phosphorus. An important component of bone tissue, but also involved in the reaction of energy metabolism.
- Iron. Anemia can occur and the body's resistance to various diseases can be greatly reduced if it is low or poorly absorbed. Lack of iron over time weakens the memory and reduces performance.
There is also the right amount of vitamins in this dish:
- Group B. A number of these vitamins have many purposes, above all they are involved in carbohydrate metabolism and protein synthesis, in the formation of red blood cells.
- Group A. Retinol inhibits the development of colds, increases visual acuity and is an excellent preventive agent against atherosclerosis. It helps wounds heal faster.
- Vitamin PP. Helps improve the absorption of protein. It participates in carbohydrate metabolism, and normalizes gastric secretion. Necessary for the body not to develop dermatitis and gastrointestinal function.
- Vitamin E. It has long been known for its antioxidant properties. At the same time, tocopherol has a positive effect on muscle activity, protects red blood cells from hemolysis.
Can dumplings be eaten while breastfeeding
Dumplings with natural products, which do not contain harmful additives, there are only useful ingredients due to the presence of minerals, vitamins and fiber.
This product is distinguished by the fact that it does not provoke allergic manifestations, but it is better in the period of lactation to eat dumplings, in which low-fat varieties of meat are used, and it is desirable to avoid spices.
Important: Pediatricians insist that in the first month of the baby's birth dumplings should be excluded from the diet.
It is better to make dumplings during this period, because industrial dumplings, most often contain preservatives and additives. Moreover, the meat may be of poor quality, since unscrupulous manufacturers can often change the natural composition for a cheap analogue.
Store-bought dumplings may contain spices that can provoke allergic symptoms in the infant. Therefore, if a nursing mother really wants dumplings, and the opportunity to cook at home is not available, when buying should pay attention to some facts:
- Components listed on the package - usually in the list they are listed in order of decreasing proportion of the total mass.
- The presence of preservatives and any flavor enhancers.
- Composition: it is desirable that it includes only natural ingredients and vegetable protein.
- Be sure to know the product's sell-by date.
At what age can I give dumplings to children
Even young children, once tried dumplings, never give them up. But still preschoolers should be given this dish only homemade. And it is better if the minced meat has about 20 percent dietary poultry.
Young children are not recommended to eat store dumplings because of the high salt content, as it can retain fluid in the body and put stress on the cardiovascular system and the urinary system.
Various additional ingredients in the form of synthetic flavor enhancers, stabilizers and substances labeled "E" are also harmful to a child. As it turns out, there are carcinogens among them.
The fact that the dish is seasoned also plays a role. Usually, for the dumplings to be tastier, sour cream or mayonnaise, oil or vinegar is added. In most cases, these products consist of a lot of fats, and this is an unnecessary load on the stomach and intestines and contributes to obesity.
It is best if you season the dish with a little broth. Its advantages are that it stimulates the function of the gastrointestinal tract, which means that the dumplings are quickly and easily digested, and the child will not feel heavy.
For better digestibility, it is better to give children dumplings in the first half of the day, as dairy dishes are preferable before going to bed at night.
Can I eat dumplings when losing weight
Dumplings contain dough, which is known to be able to add several pounds to the weight. But nutritionists have come up with a special pelmeni diet - directly for those who are fans of dumplings. But there are also restrictive measures, which include several rules:
- Observe the necessary norm, so that the caloric content in the aggregate of all products is not above the level of 1200 kcal.
- A serving measure should not include more than 10 pieces, which averages out to 200 kcal.
- Do not add to the dish ingredients such as mayonnaise or sour cream, various sauces, characterized by a high percentage of fat. You can replace them with yogurt or low-fat kefir.
- You should not eat dumplings after 6 pm.
- If dumplings are cooked at home, you should use whole-grain flour for them, and the minced meat is lean, it is desirable to add vegetables to it.
For those who have decided to lose weight, but do not want to give up dumplings, there is a special recipe for their preparation.
You will need one egg, a cup of wholemeal flour and water for the dough. For the stuffing - chicken breast and onion, any vegetable to taste. If it is cabbage, it must be boiled in advance, add spices. The preparation is the same as the usual.
Dumplings in medicine
It is not always possible to eat this dish if a person is diagnosed with any disease.
In case of diabetes
Diabetics should refuse dumplings. The fact is that the product contains a small amount of starch. It quickly turns into glucose, which means that blood sugar can rise.
Important: The glycemic index of dumplings is 70 units.
Sick pancreas dictates its own conditions in the choice of diet. During an exacerbation, only pureed boiled food is necessary, but also during remission, it is not worth the risk if you wanted dumplings. The stomach has to work hard to process the meat and dough. And inside the dumplings there is always a small amount of concentrated broth, so the enzymatic activity of all parts of the digestive tract will be needed, including the work of the pancreas.
The body hard and long digestion of dough dishes, and therefore begin various complications and pain, if this disease is identified. In its treatment, a diet from which dumplings are excluded is especially helpful. Doctors make concessions, allowing only once a month to eat a small portion of homemade, steamed without any spices.
Weak intestines can not work well if you eat dumplings that are high in carbohydrates and proteins. If it is difficult to resist, it is advisable to add vegetables, fruits and drink more fluids to the diet.
It is necessary to limit the number of dumplings, because with this disease it is recommended to significantly reduce the amount of meat products. As a filling, it is better to use chicken, rabbit or turkey meat. You can also add any vegetables, such as pumpkin or zucchini.
Patients need a diet, and if you want dumplings, they should be homemade, from durum wheat with a high fiber content. There should be no fat in the meat, spicy seasonings are excluded.
Harm and contraindications
Based on the composition, you can determine to whom this dish is contraindicated. The combination of dough and fatty minced meat will cause discomfort in people with digestive system disorders: bloating and a feeling of heaviness often occur. The dough contains gluten, so the dish itself is prohibited for patients with celiac disease. Salt delays the elimination of fluids, resulting in an increase in blood pressure.
How to choose and store dumplings
Buying dumplings, you should make sure that they are without deformation, damage, cracks, not stuck. If the packaging does not allow you to check this, you can still determine the quality by shaking the package, making sure that there is no sticky clump.
For homemade dumplings you should carefully choose meat with a pleasant fresh smell. Semi-finished dumplings should be stored in the freezer in a bag or plastic container.
How to make dough for dumplings
The easiest way to make dough: 500 grams of flour poured in a pile, making a hollow in it, pour 150 grams of slightly warm water and add two eggs. Some housewives add no more than 20 grams of vegetable oil. All the resulting mixture is kneaded for 5 minutes. Then it remains to roll out the ready dough.
Can dumplings be boiled in the microwave?
This cooking method takes very little time - only 7-11 minutes.
In a special container designed for microwaves put dumplings and add water (salt). Microwave on maximum power. We cook the dish for 11 minutes, not forgetting to stop the cooking process every couple of minutes, and stir the products.
Types of dumpling fillings
People are not limited in the preparation of dumplings only to minced meat for stuffing. Now it is acceptable to put any fish base - fillet of salmon or pike, perch or sole, shrimp or mussels, calamari and crabs or assorted seafood. It is acceptable to make dumplings with vegetables. These are potatoes with cabbage and carrots, zucchini and bacon, olives and turnips, eggplant and cheese.
Who likes mushrooms, put mushrooms and chanterelles, oyster mushrooms and aspen mushrooms in the stuffing. To them they add cheese and various spicy herbs.
Interesting facts about dumplings
- Fifty years ago, the whole family, from small to large, gathered to make dumplings. It was not only a labor-intensive event, but also a joyful one, as the elders told interesting stories, introducing the younger generation to the work.
- Dumplings are sometimes the attribute of fortune telling. In a special serving they put a coin to the stuffing. Whoever gets it, expects financial well-being. If a pepper is hidden inside, you will have good luck in love; when you find greenery, you will have unexpected fun. Sugar portends a sweet, nourishing life, and a piece of dough promises happiness soon, the fulfillment of a wish.
- To immortalize this popular product, a monument was erected in Izhevsk. This is a three-meter fork, at the tip of which a solid pelmeni rises above everyone else.
«It is important: all information on the site is provided solely for introductory purposes only. Before applying any recommendations, please consult with a specialized specialist before applying any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."