Pearl groats: what kind of grain it is made of and its useful properties.
Perlovka is one of the most popular products in Russian cuisine. This cereal has been used in food for many years, but has been produced on an industrial scale since 1930. Due to its unique properties, it is widely used in public catering.
- From what cereal do pearl barley groats
- What is the difference between barley and pearl barley
- Composition and calories
- What is useful for pearl barley
- Overall Benefits
- For women
- For men
- In Pregnancy
- For breastfeeding
- For children
- Weight loss
- Can I Eat Pearl Grits for Diabetes
- Cosmetic use
- Health Hazards and Contraindications
- How to choose and store
- How to distinguish pearl millet from Poltava
- What can be cooked of barley groats: Recipes
- Perlovka soup with chicken stomachs
- Pearl porridge "Flawless".
- Exotic salad with pearl barley, apples and honey
- How to cook on a side dish
- Can we give pearl millet to animals?
- Interesting facts
From what grain pearl groats are made
The pearl barley is most often remembered when they want to cleanse their body of toxins or get rid of excess weight. But not everyone knows what kind of grain makes pearl barley. It is made from peeled barley grains. In addition to cleaning, grains are ground, but all these types of processing in no way affect the preservation of useful properties.
- Whole-grain pearl barley - barley grains from which the shell has been removed.
- Dutch - grains with a more thorough processing than the usual pearl barley. They are also given a rounder shape in the process. Hollandaise is faster to cook than the previous type.
- Barley groats are finely chopped barley grains.
What is the difference between barley and pearl barley?
Many people confuse barley groats with pearl barley. These two groats are made from the same cereal - barley. But the fact that pearl groats have whole grains, and barley groats - chopped, is their fundamental difference.
Composition and calories
Perlovka is quite caloric, 100 g of raw product contains 320 kcal, cooked in water - 121. Compared with other cereals, these figures are quite high. Perlovka consists of 85% carbohydrates, 12% proteins and 3% fats.
It is also proved that pearl barley groats contain a number of useful vitamins and minerals. These are A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, E, K, PP, zinc, potassium, calcium, copper, iron, manganese, iodine, chromium, fluorine, nickel, phosphorus.
What is the usefulness of pearl barley?
The composition of pearl barley is diverse, rich in fiber and various micro- and macroelements. Perlovka is one of the top three for usefulness and caloric content. With the constant use of this grits is an improvement in the work of the body:
- strengthening of the immune system;
- Improve the nervous system;
- slowing of aging;
- purification of the intestine and restoration of its work;
- increase in hemoglobin levels in the blood;
- hair growth and strengthening of nails due to high calcium content;
- strengthening of joints;
- good antioxidant;
- normalization of the work of the pancreas;
- decrease in blood sugar levels;
- Improving musculoskeletal system.
Perlovka contains gordecin, which has powerful antibacterial properties.
In addition, pearl barley has a great effect on improving potency.
This is interesting! In the old days, a decoction made from barley groats was used as a unique, fast-acting antipyretic. The recipe for its preparation is very simple: take 1 liter of water for 100 grams of pearl barley, boil for 20 minutes and then cool. Drink miracle decoction as children and adults.
Using barley groats can cleanse the body. It is necessary to observe the pearl millet diet for one week. Boil the pearl millet porridge in water and eat it all seven days, three times a day. You can combine the porridge with fresh vegetables, it does not hurt. You should not exclude snacks from your diet. It is desirable to snack on dairy products with minimal fat, dried fruits and freshly squeezed juices.
You should dress your porridge with vegetable oil, preferably olive oil, and not butter. Salt should be completely excluded from the diet during this week. It is also mandatory to drink plenty of water, preferably half an hour before meals.
For women, pearl barley is especially useful due to its healing properties. With the regular use of this miraculous porridge representative of the weaker sex will not know the problems with health:
- Intestines. Many women, especially after the age of 35, suffer from constipation. If you constantly consume pearl barley, you can get rid of this problem easily and simply. Pearl grits improve bowel function and reduce the risk of colon cancer.
- Weight. Although pearl barley is a high-calorie product, boiled porridge in water contains just over 100 kcal per 100 g. At the same time, it satiates the body thanks to the content of protein, carbohydrates and fiber. Perlovka is great if you want to arrange a day of unloading. One day a week it is recommended to eat only barley and drink water or green tea.
- Joints. Calcium in pearl barley is more than 10 times the amount contained in milk. Pearl grits have a beneficial effect on strengthening bone tissue and slows down the destructive processes in the joints. Those who have cartilage problems should include pearl barley in their diet.
- Liver and gallbladder. Perlovka lowers blood cholesterol levels and restores damaged organs. Those who consume pearl barley at least once a week will never suffer from gallstones. A fast-acting decoction made of barley groats, which should be consumed for 3-5 days a week to restore the organs.
- Heart. Pearl groats restores the cardiovascular system.
- Nerves. Perlovka favorably affects the nervous system. It is recommended to use more often for those women who hold stressful positions and suffer from insomnia.
- Immunity. The broad vitamin composition of pearl barley helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Lactation. During this important period for women, you should drink a decoction of pearl millet. Not only that its regular intake helps to eliminate seals in the mammary glands, but also this miraculous remedy has a molokoinetic property. Pearl porridge is very useful for pregnant women.
Every woman who regularly eats pearl millet will be healthy and full of strength.
Many men are neglectful of pearl barley. Maybe it was due to the fact that this miraculous porridge was introduced into the soldiers' diet since the time of Peter the Great. But he did it for a reason, and because of the useful composition and caloric content of this product.
Few people know, but the use of barley groats in any form improves male potency, has a positive effect on the duration of sexual intercourse and serves as a preventive measure for diseases of the reproductive system.
Important! You should not abuse pearl barley. Men are allowed to eat barley once a day, but not more than 3 times a week.
Many women in expectation of a child ask the question, "Can I use pearl barley during pregnancy?" Undoubtedly, pearl barley is simply necessary in the diet of future mothers. But there should be a measure for everything. The combination of vitamins and minerals in pearl millet make this dish nutritious and very useful. The use of pearl barley by pregnant women is excellent for the health of both the mother and the unborn child.
Many pregnant women from the first days count the caloric content of products, so that later they do not get extra pounds after childbirth. The use of pearl porridge boiled in water will saturate a woman's body with useful substances, but will not add extra pounds. Fiber, which is contained in the pearl barley, helps a vulnerable female body to fight unwanted toxins and impurities, which also does not allow fat deposits to linger in the body.
The phosphorus contained in pearl barley promotes good metabolism and helps in the formation of the skeleton of the future child. B vitamins increase hemoglobin in the blood and saturate pregnant women with energy, A - has a positive effect on the skin, nails and hair, PP - strengthens the nervous system of women.
As for the harm of pearl barley during pregnancy, if you do not abuse this dish, nothing will happen. But you should not eat pearl barley more than three times a week.
A nutritious diet for infants is essential for their health and proper development. For the first twelve months, breast milk is the mainstay of infant nutrition. Whether or not this nutrition is healthy depends directly on the products consumed by the breastfeeding mother.
Pearl porridge has been proven by researchers to increase the fat content of breast milk, which makes it more nutritious, so that the infant is well satiated. Vitamins contained in pearl millet prolong the lactation period, so in the diet of a nursing mother, pearl millet must be present.
The use of pearl millet is permitted only a month or two after delivery, as it may cause colic or bloating of the baby. During lactation, it is best to eat pearl barley twice a week. This is one of those cereals that are anti-allergenic and cannot harm either the mother or the newborn baby.
In the diet of every child must be present cereal products. There are so many useful substances in pearl barley that it is an indispensable product for the growing organism. Cooking options for pearl barley are very diverse: it is cooked with meat, vegetables, and a sweet version is also possible - with dried fruit and vanilla. This allows you to adjust to the taste preferences of any child.
It is best to introduce perlove porridge to the diet from 2-3 years old. It is not recommended to do it earlier, because of the poor digestion of groats by the body. Because of the starch content in pearl barley, it is considered a heavy food.
For weight loss
Perlovka is very useful and is the ideal product for those who struggle with excess weight.
Those who want to lose weight should cook pearl millet porridge without oil and milk. Even without these products it satiates the body and gives strength. It is better to consume it in the morning, for breakfast.
Because of the unique properties of groats, nutritionists have created a lot of pearl millet diets, which are quite effective, and the most stringent of them allows you to lose one kilogram per day.
Before sitting on a diet, it is necessary to properly study the features, positive and negative aspects, as well as contraindications. The undoubted pluses of the pearl millet diet:
- This is the most budget-friendly option. It is in this case we can say: "Cheap does not mean ineffective". Diets based on the use of pearl barley always give results.
- A varied menu. Perlovka is a product from which you can prepare not only second courses. There are many recipes for soups with pearl barley, you can even prepare a healthy dessert.
- Received carbohydrates do not harm the figure, because pearl barley promotes a good metabolism and cleansing of toxins.
- It often happens that diets deplete the body. If a person sits on a pearl barley diet, he is alert and energetic.
Negative aspects of the pearl millet diet:
- The gluten contained in pearl barley narrows the range of people to whom such a diet is allowed.
- If a man eats pearl barley daily, there is a risk of reducing his sexual activity.
- Porridge is contraindicated for people with hyperacidity.
The diet plan and details are best discussed with a professional nutritionist. What is good for one person can be killer for another. Only a specialist can properly guide and give sound advice.
A strict diet is not for everyone. If there is no possibility to sit on a mono-diet, you should combine pearl barley with low-calorie products. Allowed to consume:
- Vegetables and fruits with a small amount of sugar;
- Cheese or cottage cheese with a minimum fat content and no salt;
- dried fruits;
- dark chocolate, but no more than one cube a day.
It is strictly forbidden to eat smoked meats, sweets, fatty meat and fish, pastries, legumes, sweet fruit and alcohol.
Can I eat pearl barley with diabetes?
Despite all the useful properties of pearl barley, in the presence of such a disease as diabetes, you should take into account some nuances. Pearl groats are recommended by doctors for use by diabetics.
- Such porridge should be consumed by healthy people, which helps in the prevention of diabetes.
- If a healthy person eats a lot of sweets, followed by a portion of pearl porridge, the sugar level will stabilize.
- Regular consumption of pearl groats helps lower blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetics.
- Diabetics should eat porridges and soups based on pearl barley.
- Those who suffer from diabetes are recommended to eat only freshly cooked food made of pearl barley.
- Sprouted grains can be eaten only with a doctor's recommendation.
Diabetics in general are not recommended to eat a lot. Get up from the table with a slight feeling of hunger. The consumption of pearl millet in small portions will benefit a person suffering from diabetes.
Important: The glycemic index of barley groats is 20-30 units.
Pearl grits - a treasure trove of vitamins and useful minerals, which is why it is used in cosmetology. It can be used to make unique skin care products. The benefits of pearl groats in cosmetology:
- contains lysine, which promotes the production of collagen;
- Thanks to the presence of vitamin E, it is known for its rejuvenating properties;
- It has antibacterial properties.
Means for the skin, made on the basis of pearl groats, are aimed at combating existing wrinkles. Pearl masks are suitable for almost any type of skin.
A few topical recipes for skin care products made from pearl groats:
- Universal mask. To make such a mask, simply boil the pearl millet in milk, without the addition of salt, sugar and oil. Wait until the porridge cools, and in the warm form distribute it on the face and neck. It is best to take a horizontal position and wait half an hour, then wash it off with warm water. Such a mask should be done twice a week, and after a month you will see the result.
- Nourishing. To make this mask, it is necessary to buy pearl millet flour or grind the grits, and then pour the steep boiling water. It is important not to overdo it with water, the consistency of the mask should be thick. The resulting mixture should be placed on cotton pads, and then put on the eyelids. If the mush remains, you can distribute it on the face. Wash off the mask after forty minutes. It nourishes the skin well, you can do it several times a week.
- For very oily skin. If you do this mask systematically, it mattifies oily skin and makes it firmer. Mix two tablespoons of crushed barley with a spoonful of tomato paste. Add an egg white and mix with a fork or a whisk. Also add 2-3 drops of chamomile oil. The resulting mixture to apply to the face for twenty minutes, then rinse with cool water.
- Moisturizing mask. Boil cereal in water and in the still hot add ingredients: the yolk of one egg, a teaspoon of olive oil and 50 grams of freshly squeezed carrot juice. Stir everything thoroughly and cool. Slightly warm mixture should be applied on a cleansed face. Keep the mask on your face as long as possible, then wash it off.
- Tonic. To prepare a tonic from the pearl barley, you need to take a fine grind groats, one tablespoon is enough. Pour it with a glass of boiling water and put on the fire for fifteen minutes. After letting the broth cool completely and strain it. The liquid should be poured into a container in which the tonic will be stored, add to it a tablespoon of olive oil, two drops of essential oil, preferably lavender or sandalwood. The tonic is ready. Shake the container thoroughly before use. Tonic has a refreshing and cleansing properties.
Facial skin care home remedies made from barley groats are very budgetary, but quite effective. If you use these means in the system, the result can compete with expensive salon procedures.
Also on the basis of pearl barley masks are made for hair. They are suitable for restoring damaged and split locks. The recipe for cooking is very simple: pour half a cup of barley groats with boiling water and leave for half an hour. Then strain and add heavy sour cream and a teaspoon of any vegetable oil. Apply the resulting mixture to the hair, wrap the head with cellophane and keep warm for at least an hour. For effectiveness, you can heat the hair with a hot hair dryer, and then wash it off with shampoo. The result is amazing, the hair becomes soft and gets a lively shine. It is recommended to make such a mask once a week. Also, this remedy is good for restoring hair damaged by perming.
For greasy hair, you can prepare a banana-honey mask with barley. A tablespoon of honey, two spoons of olive oil and chopped banana should be whipped in a blender and add the barley flour. After letting the resulting mixture to stand in the heat for half an hour. Ready mask should be applied to the entire length of the hair, thoroughly rubbing into the scalp with massaging movements. After applying wait 30 minutes and rinse with warm water.
Harm and contraindications
Even healthy products can be harmful if they are abused. It is useful to eat freshly cooked pearl porridge before it is completely cooled.
Do not be fond of pearl barley for people who are gluten intolerant. This complex protein can cause digestive disorders, so if there is a suspicion of intolerance, it is better to consult a doctor.
Also dangerous is the consumption of pearl barley by those who are allergic to cereals. This is quite rare, but it still happens, so you should pay attention to this.
Pregnant women should not abuse the intake of this porridge, because it can provoke gas. Also, if not enough water is consumed, pearl barley can cause constipation. Those who often eat it should drink plenty of fluids. In order for the pearl barley to do only good, you should limit the intake to 1-2 times a week.
People with hyperacidity should also limit the intake of pearl barley.
How to choose and store
What should you pay attention to during the purchase of pearl groats? First, it is important how the pearl barley is packaged. It is best to buy groats in cardboard packaging. Grain pearl millet releases moisture, so the groats, which are sold in cellophane packaging, quickly becomes bitter. If the bag with pearl barley has drips of moisture, you should not buy it.
You should also pay attention to the color of the grains, they can be light beige, yellow and even with a greenish hue. The main thing is that all the grains should be of the same color. If there are lighter and darker grains in one package - this is the first sign that the groats began to go bad. Also, you should not buy grits with grains that are visibly stuck together.
To cook barley porridge, you should choose grains of small size. If you are planning a soup with pearl barley, you should choose grits of a larger size.
The pearl barley has a long shelf life, but it is very important to store it properly. After buying the groats, you should roast them in the oven. This will not affect the quality and useful properties, but if suddenly the groats contain beetle larvae (which happens), the heat will help to get rid of them. Also for the critters contained in cereals, the cold is destructive, so an alternative - place the cereal in the freezer for 3-4 days. If there is a microwave oven, you can put there perlovka for five minutes - the effect will be the same.
You should not store pearl barley in the same package that it was sold. It is best to pour it into a glass container or a plastic container. You should not choose a metal container for storage. It is best to store pearl barley in a cupboard, as direct sunlight reduces its shelf life.
Important! To prevent bugs in the grits, you need to put in a jar a few bay leaves. Their smell will scare away insects, which will ensure the safety of pearl barley.
But even that groats, which is in a container and protected from insects, can not be stored forever. You should not store pearl barley for more than a year.
How to distinguish between pearl barley and Poltava groats
These are two different groats, because they are made from completely different grains - barley and wheat. Visually, they are quite similar, but the Poltava groats have a more oblong shape compared to the pearl groats.
What can be cooked from barley grits: recipes
There are many dishes that can be made from barley grits. This inexpensive but very useful product is quite difficult to prepare. Below are delicious dishes from the pearl barley.
Soup of pearl barley with chicken stomachs
This is a delicious and hearty dish, uncomplicated in preparation. It requires the following ingredients: half a kilogram of chicken stomachs, half a cup of grits, one carrot, half an onion, salt to taste, sunflower oil for frying and water.
The first thing to do is to wash and peel the stomachs and cut them into medium sized cubes. Rinse pearl barley, pour hot water and set aside. Place the stomachs in a saucepan, pour cold water and cook for at least one hour over low heat. While the stomachs are boiling, make a roast in the traditional way. Finely chop onions, chop carrots on a fine grater and fry it all in vegetable oil until the vegetables change color. After that, drain the water from the pearl barley and put it into a saucepan, where the chicken stomachs are boiled. When the pearl barley is almost ready, add salt and browning, bring to a boil and remove from the stove. The soup is ready. This dish goes well with rye bread.
Pearl porridge "Flawless"
Delicious recipe for cooking barley grits with vegetables. For this you will need: a glass of groats, a large-sized tomato, a medium-sized carrot, two small onions, vegetable oil, salt, water.
First of all, you need to rinse the groats well. In a separate saucepan boil 4 cups of water and add there perlovka. The grits should boil for fifteen minutes, after which the pearl barley should be strained. In a pot or saucepan, in which the porridge will be boiled, pour half a liter of water and salt. After the water boils, pour the pearl millet into it and cook until it thickens. At this time, chop the vegetables and stew in oil under a lid for ten minutes. After that, add the vegetables to the pearl barley, mix and stew all together for another five minutes.
Exotic salad with pearl barley, apples and honey
For the salad you need the following products: a glass of barley, parsley, mint, apples (green and red) 2 pieces, two tablespoons of lemon juice and apple cider vinegar, a tablespoon of olive oil, two teaspoons of honey, salt, ground black pepper to taste.
Pearl groats should be fried in a dry frying pan until golden brown. After that, pour water and put to boil for forty minutes. When the grits boil, drain the water and add chopped parsley, mint and chopped apples. Oil, vinegar, juice and honey mix well and dress the salad with this mixture, salt and pepper.
How to cook as a side dish
Perlovka can be cooked in different ways, everyone has his own taste preferences. There are two main ways to cook pearl porridge:
- Perlovka on water. To begin with, you need to wash a glass of groats and leave it in water overnight. If you do not do this, the porridge will turn out stiff. After soaking, rinse the groats again and place them in a pot. Pour cold water, add a pinch of salt and sugar and put on the stove. When the porridge boils, turn down the heat and cook for another half an hour. Five minutes before the end of cooking, add a piece of butter to the porridge, which will make it more crumbly and fragrant. Turn off the fire, wrap the pan with pearl millet in a warm blanket, wait thirty minutes, and the dish is ready.
- Pearl porridge with milk. To prepare this dish, you will need half a kilogram of barley groats and 300 g of milk. In this case, as in the previous one, it is better to soak the pearl barley overnight. Pour the milk into a saucepan and boil over low heat for fifteen minutes, preliminarily adding one and a half tablespoons of sugar. Then add the grits to the milk and cook for forty minutes. Shortly before the end of cooking add a slice of butter. The more boiled the porridge turned out, the better.
Can we give pearl barley to animals
Perlovka is a product that is very useful for people, but whether it is safe for animals - we should understand. Both cats and dogs were originally wild, their main diet was food of animal, not plant origin. It was only later that people domesticated them and made them pets.
Veterinarians recommend that not more than 25% of the diet be cereal. Perlovka can be given no more than once a week.
- The word "pearl", applied to the grits, came from the word "pearl" - pearls. Externally, ground barley grains resemble pearls. And considering how many useful substances are in the pearl barley, it truly can be called a pearl of all cakes.
- Even in ancient Rome the gladiators ate pearl barley because it is very nourishing, gives energy, stamina and strength.
- Some nations used barley grains as currency.
- In the olden days, pearl barley porridge was a very refined dish, worthy only of royalty. The recipe was simple: barley grains were soaked overnight in warm water, and in the morning they were boiled in milk. After that the cooked pearl millet was stewed in a stove on coals, topped with cream and served to the table.
- In Russia, the grain was prescribed for alcohol poisoning.
People have a totally ambiguous attitude to pearl barley - some love it, and some can not stand it at all. However, pearl barley is one of those cereals that combine a low price and high caloric value.
«Important: All information on this site is provided solely for informational for educational purposes. Before applying any recommendations, you should consult with a specialized specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors are liable for any possible harm caused by materials."