Tomatoes: useful properties and contraindications
Tomatoes are a common product that is excellent for preparing salads. Also from it prepare pasta, juice, pickle. There are many different recipes with tomatoes, which are very popular with hostesses. This is due to the fact that tomatoes are good for the body, as they contain many vitamins and minerals.
- Which tomatoes are healthier: red or yellow?
- Composition and calories
- What are tomatoes useful for?
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- During Pregnancy
- For children
- Can I Eat a Tomato while Losing Weight
- The benefits of dried and dried tomatoes
- What are the benefits of pickled tomatoes
- The benefits of cherry tomatoes
- Is tomato and cucumber salad useful
- Pickled tomatoes: benefits and harm
- Useful Properties of Tomato Juice
- Useful tomato paste
- Tomatoes in Medicine
- For pancreatitis
- For the Intestines
- In constipation
- For gout
- For colitis
- For the liver
- For hemorrhoids
- For cholecystitis
- Tomatoes in cosmetology
- For Face
- For Hair
- Hazards and contraindications
- How to choose and store tomatoes
- Can they be frozen?
- What to eat tomatoes properly.
- How much can I eat per day?
- Can I Eat at Night and on an empty stomach?
- Can I Eat Green Tomatoes?
- Can we eat sprouted tomatoes?
- Can we eat tomatoes with phytophthora?
- What can be made with tomatoes: Recipes
- Tomato juice
- Tomato paste
- How to pickle
- Can we give tomatoes to animals?
- Interesting facts about tomatoes
Which tomatoes are healthier: red or yellow?
There are many varieties of tomatoes, which differ in taste and color. Many people are interested in which vegetables are healthier - red or yellow. They differ not only in taste, but also in their composition. Experts say that yellow tomatoes are much more useful for the body than the red ones. First of all, they contain retinol, which is necessary for the eyesight. Therefore, yellow tomatoes cause allergies in rare cases. They can be introduced to the child's diet before the red ones. Yellow tomatoes have fewer calories. The product also strengthens the vascular walls.
Thus, yellow tomatoes are considered healthier than red tomatoes. But both varieties bring invaluable benefits to the body.
Composition and calories
The chemical composition of tomatoes, depending on the variety, varies. But they all contain many amino acids. Tomatoes include the following trace elements:
- Magnesium. Useful for the work of the heart muscle and blood vessels. Also participates in the building of muscle tissue. Lack of the substance leads to hand and leg cramps.
- Calcium. The trace element is necessary for both adults and children. This is due to the fact that it is involved in the construction of bone tissue.
- Iodine. Required in large quantities by the endocrine system, which synthesizes a huge number of hormones that regulate the entire body.
- Fluoride. A trace element that refers to neurotoxins. It neutralizes harmful substances. It is also a component of tooth enamel.
- Potassium. The substance plays quite a big role in the human body. Potassium is involved in such systems as the excretory, cardiovascular, is part of the bones, muscle tissue.
Tomatoes also contain zinc, copper and phosphorus in small amounts. They also take part in the functioning of certain organs, body systems.
Tomatoes also contain vitamins, among them:
- Vitamin C. According to research, tomatoes are found to be significantly superior to citrus fruits in terms of vitamin C content. It plays a significant role in the body's defenses.
- Vitamin A. It participates in cell metabolism, maintains youthfulness of the skin, and is essential for the eyes. Its lack leads to visual impairment.
- Vitamin B2. Microelement is involved in virtually all processes of the body, including supports the nervous system. When a person lacks vitamin leads to a depressive state.
- Vitamin B3. Allows you to maintain the health of the skin, and is also a constituent of the hair. It helps to strengthen the immune and support the nervous system.
Tomatoes also contain other B vitamins. All of them have their own importance for the body, perform their function. Due to the large amount of vitamins, tomatoes are also used in folk medicine and cosmetology.
The caloric value of the product is only 20 kcal per 100 grams. This allows you to include tomatoes in the diet, even with strict diets aimed at losing weight. They can also be consumed by those who watch their weight and do not allow the consumption of high-calorie food.
What are the benefits of tomatoes
Tomatoes, when properly consumed, bring benefits to the body. Because of their composition, they allow:
- Strengthen the heart muscle, as they contain a sufficient amount of calcium. As a result, the likelihood of developing myocardial disease is reduced.
- Increase immunity through increased vitamin content.
- Activate the process of gastric juice production, resulting in improved digestion.
- Reduce the risk of anemia, because tomatoes contain iron, which is necessary for the process of hematopoiesis.
- Improve peristalsis, thereby reducing the risk of constipation.
- Stop the inflammatory process in organs and tissues.
- Have a positive effect on the quality of the seminal fluid.
- Normalize the indicators of blood pressure.
- Clear the walls of blood vessels from cholesterol, which accumulates and causes narrowing of lumen. This results in poor circulation and an increased risk of stroke.
- Reduce blood viscosity.
- Cleanse the liver of toxins and other harmful substances.
- Get rid of the unpleasant symptoms of varicose veins. Substances in the composition will help to reduce pain in the vessels, normalize blood circulation in the lower extremities.
- Improve your general well-being and lift your spirits. This is achieved by the thiramine content of tomatoes.
- Purify the lungs. This is why tomatoes are recommended for daily consumption by those who have quit or are about to quit smoking.
- Reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease in the elderly.
- Prevent the development of diseases of the nervous system.
- Keep the skin young and healthy.
- Reduce the likelihood of developing osteoporosis and other musculoskeletal diseases.
Also, the daily consumption of tomatoes in various forms and in small quantities will help to support hearing and vision, as tomatoes contain all the necessary microelements and vitamins for the work of these systems.
During menopause, there is an increased risk of developing such a disease as osteoporosis. The consumption of tomatoes will reduce the likelihood of their occurrence.
Among other things, tomatoes will help to avoid gaining extra pounds and maintain your figure. The ingredients will also help to maintain a youthful skin, slow down the aging process, return the hair shine.
Consumption of tomatoes will also benefit the male body. First of all, they help to slow down the age-related changes that occur in the prostate, which can cause the development of adenoma.
Also, tomatoes contain special substances that help reduce the risk of cancerous growths in various tissues and organs. Tomatoes are known to contain a substance called lycopene. It enhances the male power.
During the period when a woman is expecting a baby, it is important for her to eat right. Specialists recommend to be sure to include tomatoes in your diet in any form, as they contain a large number of substances necessary for the development of the child.
First of all, tomatoes contain calcium, which is involved in the formation of the musculoskeletal system. Iron will help to avoid anemia.
Vitamin C contained in tomatoes in sufficient quantities will protect the body of the future mother from colds and flu.
Experts say that tomatoes promote lactation. That is why they should be consumed when breastfeeding. In addition, the product contains a large number of vitamins and trace elements, which are necessary for a woman after childbirth and for the child for normal development.
Tomatoes should be introduced gradually, starting with a small portion. They rarely cause allergies, but the baby's reaction should be monitored for a day. If there are no unpleasant symptoms, the portion can be increased.
The child's body requires a lot of vitamins and minerals, as it grows and develops. It is tomatoes have not only a diverse composition, but also a sufficient concentration of substances.
If a child has no contraindications, tomatoes should definitely be included in his diet. They will strengthen the immune system, activate the digestive system, restore psycho-emotional state, remove toxins.
Tomatoes should not be introduced into the diet before the baby is one year old, because tomatoes are highly allergenic products.
Is it possible to eat tomatoes while losing weight?
Nutritionists recommend including tomatoes in your diet not only because they are low-calorie. There are several other reasons why they should be used for weight loss:
- Promote the breakdown of fat cells due to the presence of lycopene.
- Suppress appetite. Even a small amount of tomatoes will help satisfy hunger for a long time due to their chromium content.
- They support the immune system, which can be compromised by a strict diet.
The product should not be consumed together with sour cream with a high percentage of fat or mayonnaise. This will have a negative effect on the figure and will only add a few pounds.
Experts advise to drink a glass of tomato juice every day to maintain the figure.
The benefits of dried and dried tomatoes
Such a product as tomatoes are dried and dried. They are just as useful as fresh vegetables. Drying is carried out in the sun or in a special electric dryer.
The main advantage of dried tomatoes is that they have a fairly large concentration of useful substances. In the process of drying, they are not disintegrated, and completely preserved.
They also contain fiber, which promotes digestion. Dried tomatoes can support the work of the heart muscle, strengthen blood vessels. Folk healers say that this product can be consumed by people suffering from hypertension.
Dried tomatoes, as well as fresh ones, are considered a dietary product. But they should not be used in the presence of high acidity of the stomach, liver disease, pancreatic diseases, as their use can cause harm to the body.
What are the benefits of pickled tomatoes
It is impossible to preserve tomatoes for a long time in fresh form. One of the popular ways to store during the winter period is pickling. This also preserves all the minerals and vitamins. Salted tomatoes are considered a dietary product, as they have little calories.
But it is not recommended to use them in the presence of diseases of the digestive system, as the included spices, salt and sugar have a negative impact on the mucous membranes of the stomach. Otherwise, pickled tomatoes have the same health benefits as fresh tomatoes. Most of the substances are preserved.
The benefits of cherry tomatoes
Such a variety of tomatoes as cherry tomatoes are distinguished by their small size. They have a sweeter taste. In addition, it is much easier to preserve in fresh form such tomatoes.
Despite their size, the chemical composition of the product does not differ from other varieties. In addition, they contain more glucose and vitamins, including vitamin A. Thus, it is cherry tomatoes that will be of great benefit for vision and immunity.
Is tomato and cucumber salad useful?
One of the most popular dishes is a salad consisting of fresh cucumbers and tomatoes. It can be prepared quite simply and quickly. The dish is characterized by a huge content of vitamins and minerals, as cucumbers also belong to the products, which include useful trace elements. The combination of cucumbers and tomatoes can significantly improve the immune system, has a positive effect on the state of the stomach mucosa.
You can get a special taste if you add a small amount of greens and onions. This will make the dish several times more useful. The salad can be introduced into the diet diet for weight loss, because the caloric value of cucumbers is only 17 kcal per 100 grams. At the same time, it is better to dress it with olive oil and lemon juice.
Thus, the salad, consisting of tomatoes and cucumbers, is not only useful, but also helps to maintain a figure and lift your spirits.
Pickled tomatoes: benefits and harms
Pickled tomatoes are also useful for the body. This is due to the fact that they retain an antioxidant called lycopene. It is considered to be the main element to reduce the risk of heart disease. In addition, it helps to slow down the formation of cancerous tumors in various tissues and organs. Lycopene supports the nervous system, helping people to cope with stress and nervous tension.
Pickled tomatoes help to eliminate cholesterol. The substance in large quantities is dangerous for the body, because it has the property to accumulate on the walls of blood vessels and worsen blood circulation. Pickled tomatoes also contain beta-carotene, which is necessary to maintain eyesight.
The substances contained in the product also allow flushing out toxins, including products of alcohol decay, to cope with a hangover. That's why pickled tomatoes are popular at feasts.
But they can also cause harm to the body. Tomatoes, pickled in their own juice, should not be consumed in large quantities by people suffering from hyperacidity and diseases of the digestive system. You should refuse them if you have pronounced symptoms of ulcers and gastritis.
Useful properties of tomato juice
Juice derived from tomatoes also has a number of useful properties. It contains as many vitamins and trace elements as fresh tomatoes. The drink's special, beneficial properties include:
- Maintaining the immune system, as it contains vitamin C.
- Activating the work of the brain due to the content of a number of micronutrients and glucose.
- Weight maintenance. Juice has low calories and can be included in the daily diet for weight loss.
- Reducing the risk of developing diseases of the digestive system. The drink has an enveloping effect, which protects the mucosa of the digestive system from negative effects.
- Improvement of mood due to the content of micronutrients affecting the nervous system.
- Maintaining the youthfulness of the skin.
This is an incomplete list of useful properties of tomato juice. It has the same effect on the body as fresh tomatoes.
Is tomato paste useful?
Such a product as tomato paste is used in the preparation of dishes. Many people are interested in the question of whether there are benefits from it. Pasta made from tomatoes, undoubtedly, will bring benefits to the body. It contains the same substances and trace elements as in fresh tomatoes. Specialists recommend to give preference to tomato paste and use it instead of ketchup, because it contains less spices that negatively affect the state of the stomach.
Thus, tomato paste will not only help to give a dish a special taste and flavor, but also to replenish the supply of vitamins, trace elements and nutrients in the body.
Tomatoes in medicine
Tomatoes are used not only in cooking for a variety of dishes. They are also used for medicinal purposes as an additional method of treatment of certain diseases. Folk healers recommend introducing them into the diet for the following pathologies:
- Avitaminosis. The condition can be dangerous for the human body, as it manifests itself in the form of a lack of vitamins. They are necessary for the work of the body's defenses. It is tomatoes that contain a large number of useful substances. With avitaminosis, tomatoes can be consumed both fresh and pickled, pickled.
- Atherosclerosis. It is characterized by the formation of cholesterol plaques that gradually narrow the lumen of blood vessels, resulting in poor circulation. This can lead to malfunctioning of the cardiac system. One of the causes of the disease is improper nutrition. Tomatoes contain substances that help remove cholesterol from the body and reduce the risk of heart attack.
- Anemia. This is manifested in the form of iron deficiency. Tomatoes contain a sufficient amount of this element, which is invaluable for the body, especially during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Diabetes mellitus type 1 or 2. Tomatoes contain such a substance as lycopene. It helps to lower blood glucose and restore metabolic processes.
- Constipation. Such a delicate disorder as constipation can negatively affect the general condition. The consumption of tomatoes in any form will help to cope with stagnation in the intestines.
- Cancer. Pathologically altered cells begin to proliferate and form a neoplasm when the number of free radicals increases with decreased immunity. The lycopene in tomatoes has antioxidant properties and will help reduce the risk of cancer.
Tomato is included in any diet that is prescribed to patients with various diseases. It has practically no contraindications and has a positive effect on the body.
In case of diabetes.
Diabetes occurs for several reasons. But in any case, it manifests itself in the form of the inability of the body to process glucose. Its increased amount leads to the development of dangerous conditions, including a diabetic coma.
Also in the presence of diabetes there is a violation of other metabolic processes, which will help normalize it is a tomato. Included in it substances contribute to the removal of cholesterol, the normalization of digestion. But experts recommend caution to patients with the first type of diabetes. This is due to the fact that consumption of the product increases the production of bile, which negatively affects the pancreas.
In the presence of the second type of the disease, only fresh tomatoes can be present in the diet. It is better to give up canned and salted ones.
Important: The glycemic index of tomatoes from 15 to 40 units.
With diagnosed pancreatitis, experts recommend eating only tomatoes, which have previously removed the skin. It should be removed even in the absence of pronounced symptoms, when the disease is in remission.
It is also best to combine tomatoes with other foods. When pancreatitis is accompanied by increased acidity, you can eat no more than 100 g of the product per day. If the acidity is reduced, the portion can be up to 300 g per day.
Gastritis is an inflammatory disease, in which the patient is prescribed a number of medicines. Nutrition is also important for maintaining a long period of remission.
In the diet in the case of gastritis, tomatoes may be present, but they should be eaten in small quantities, pre-cleaned from the skin. The daily rate can not exceed 200 grams of tomatoes. Forbidden to eat pickled, salted tomatoes, because they have a negative impact on the mucous membrane of the stomach and can lead to ulcers.
For the intestines.
The presence of tomatoes in the diet brings benefits to the intestines. The substances included in the product support its work, metabolic processes and help in the removal of cholesterol.
Thus, tomatoes are good for intestinal health. They also improve peristalsis, which reduces the risk of congestion.
Constipation is a frequent problem, especially in women during pregnancy and after childbirth. It occurs as a result of deterioration of intestinal function and stagnation. Constipation has a negative effect on the patient's general condition and requires immediate action.
It is not always necessary to use medications to get rid of this delicate problem. It can be done with the help of normalization of nutrition. Specialists recommend introducing a greater number of fresh vegetables into the diet, including tomatoes. The content of certain substances in them helps to improve digestion and eliminate such a problem as constipation.
In case of gout
In cases where gout is diagnosed, foods that contain oxalic acid are forbidden to eat. These include tomatoes. But the acid content in them is so small that it does not affect the patient and does not interfere with the process of excretion of uric acid, which accumulates in the joints with gout.
In addition, tomatoes contain enough minerals and vitamins that help strengthen the immune system, maintain other processes in the body. Consequently, it is necessary to use tomatoes with gout, but in moderate quantities, without abusing them. Specialists advise to give preference to tomatoes, which have undergone heat treatment, such as sauces based on them, vegetable stews and other dishes.
The disease occurs as a result of inflammation of the intestinal mucosa. As a result, there are such unpleasant symptoms as painful sensations, disruption of the digestive process and others.
In addition to taking medication, a proper diet is also recommended. In the diet of patients should be present only fresh tomatoes, peeled. Due to their properties, the product will help protect the intestinal mucosa from the negative effects of a number of factors.
For the liver
Tomatoes for the liver will bring invaluable benefits. This is due to the fact that this particular organ takes on a greater number of harmful substances that have a negative impact.
Regular consumption of tomatoes will help to remove all the toxins from the body and reduce the load on the liver. In addition, pickled tomatoes help to neutralize harmful substances, including the decay products of alcohol. This is the reason why the product is used after drinking alcoholic beverages. He allows you to normalize the general condition and get rid of a hangover.
One of the frequent problems of people leading a sedentary lifestyle is hemorrhoids. When symptoms appear, specialists prescribe medication. It is also important to eat a proper diet.
When the disease develops, tomatoes should be present in the diet, because they help to relieve inflammation, have an enveloping property and normalize the digestive process.
If the inflammatory process spreads to the tissues of the gallbladder, tomatoes will also help to cope with unpleasant symptoms. But they should be consumed in moderate quantities.
Included substances contribute to the normalization of bile production and metabolic processes. It is recommended to eat no more than 100 grams of tomatoes fresh per day.
Tomatoes in cosmetology
Thanks to the included vitamins and trace elements, tomatoes began to be used for cosmetic purposes as well. They are included in many masks for hair and skin.
For the face
Tomatoes used for masks should not be scalded with boiling water, as heat treatment will reduce the amount of nutrients and trace elements. The remedy will not be effective enough to combat certain skin problems.
There are many recipes that are aimed at improving the condition of the skin and eliminating certain problems. It is important to observe the proportions and rules of application. The most popular are such masks:
- To improve the color. Before preparing the mask, tomatoes are peeled from the skin. This can be done by cutting the vegetables in half and removing the pulp with a wooden spoon. Crush the pulp, add a tablespoon of oatmeal and a small spoonful of lemon juice. Mix everything until a homogeneous mass. Apply mask to the face and leave for 10 minutes. Then rinse off with warm water.
- From acne. This is one of the easiest mask recipes. It is made only with tomatoes, pre-cut into circles. Put them on the skin of the face and hold for 10-15 minutes. In the process, the juice is released, which should be washed off with warm water after the procedure. Masks to do is recommended for a week to obtain positive results.
- Restorative. For preparation, you will need three tablespoons of powdered milk, a glass of oatmeal flakes and chopped tomatoes without peel. Mix all the ingredients. In case it turned out thick, you can add a small amount of boiling water. All apply to the skin for 40 minutes, then rinse.
- From oily shine. The pulp of tomatoes should be mixed with two tablespoons of potato flour. The consistency of the mask should resemble a paste. Apply to the skin of the face, wash off after 10 minutes.
- Rejuvenating. Peel and grind a tomato. Add a tablespoon each of honey and plain yogurt. Wash with warm water before using. Apply the mask for half an hour, then rinse it off. After the procedure, use moisturizing cream.
All tomato-based masks help to cope with certain skin problems. After their application, the effect is noticeable already after a week.
For your hair
Tomatoes are used in cosmetology and to restore the structure of the hair. They allow you to return them to shine, silkiness, softness. The most effective masks are:
- For growth. The mask consists of the following ingredients: half a tomato, a garlic clove, a teaspoon of lemon juice and bell pepper. All ingredients are ground with a blender. The resulting mask should be applied with a rubbing motion in the hair roots and leave for 40 minutes. After rinsing. The mask helps to activate the growth of hair follicles, as well as helps to strengthen the hair.
- Nourishing. The preparation requires a tomato, previously peeled, a small spoonful of olive oil and a tablespoon of starch. Mashed potato the tomato to puree, add the starch and oil. Mix everything and distribute to the entire length of the hair. Then wrap the hair with polyethylene and cover with a towel. Wash off after half an hour. Such a remedy will help return the hair to shine and make it soft.
- Against Greasiness. To prepare an effective remedy against oily scalp, you will need 1.5-2 tomatoes and half a teaspoon of lemon juice. Tomatoes, previously peeled from the skin, mash into a pulp and add the juice of the lemon. Stir everything. Apply the composition to the hair, leave it for half an hour, then wash it off with shampoo.
Masks can be used every time you wash your hair. After their use in a week notice the result. Hair becomes soft, manageable, restores their structure, restores healthy shine.
Harms and contraindications
Despite the fact that tomatoes are among the most useful vegetables, they can cause harm to the body if used improperly or if they are used with contraindications.
The harm of tomatoes is as follows:
- The product contains many micronutrients, which are a whole complex. Certain substances can cause a negative reaction of the body. It appears in the form of rash, hives, redness. The most dangerous condition that can occur in the presence of allergies is Quincke's edema. If it occurs, the person needs urgent medical attention.
- There is a risk of hypervitaminosis. It is characterized by an increased content of vitamins, which appears in the form of rashes and itching.
- A large amount of tomatoes can provoke an exacerbation of hypertension. Pickled tomatoes are dangerous in this case, because the product contains a sufficient amount of vinegar and salt.
- Tomatoes contain oxalic acid, which is contraindicated in patients suffering from diseases of the urogenital system of the chronic type. This is due to the fact that the substance prevents the excretion of salts, which provokes an aggravation. Also, experts advise caution when consuming tomatoes in the presence of kidney or bladder stones.
- Tomatoes, due to their properties, activate the production of bile. Such a property can negatively affect the patient's condition in the presence of urolithiasis.
- With arthritis, tomatoes can also provoke a worsening of the condition. They should be eaten only during remission with caution.
- Tomatoes are not recommended in the case of ulcers and pancreatitis occurring in the acute stage.
You should not overeat tomatoes, because due to the presence of certain substances, a large amount of them can provoke diarrhea. Tomatoes are not recommended in case of high acidity. In this case, it is best to replace them with dried tomatoes.
According to nutritionists, tomatoes should not be eaten with baked goods, rice, eggs and fish. This is due to the fact that such a combination negatively affects metabolic processes and slows down fat synthesis. All this leads to gaining excess weight, the formation of cholesterol plaques on the vascular walls.
How to choose and store tomatoes
When buying tomatoes, it is important to pay attention to several factors at once:
- Color. The tomato should have a uniform bright red or yellow color without spots. This indicates the ripeness of the product.
- Size. The large size of the fruit does not indicate that it contains more vitamins and minerals. When choosing, it is best to give preference to tomatoes of medium size. Cherry tomatoes are also good for your body. Despite their size, they contain more vitamin C.
- Aroma. Ripe tomatoes should have a pleasant smell.
Also pay attention when buying should be the presence of damage. They should not be on the surface of the vegetable. They accumulate pathogens, and tomatoes begin to spoil faster.
The tomato should feel firm but not hard. If the fruit is soft, it indicates that the rotting process has begun. Such a tomato is dangerous to the body.
Do not store tomatoes in the refrigerator, since in the cold air they lose their aroma and taste. They can be left at room temperature, but not exposed to sunlight. This is due to the fact that ultraviolet light will destroy all the useful microelements, and the tomato will quickly spoil.
Can I freeze
Many housewives are wondering whether it is possible to freeze tomatoes. Freezing is one method of storing a vegetable.
Both cut tomatoes and whole cherry tomatoes can be stored in the freezer. It is recommended to pierce the whole fruits beforehand with a toothpick. This way they will not burst.
What is the right way to eat tomatoes
Consumption of tomatoes should be correct, because their excessive consumption will cause digestive disorders, which manifests as diarrhea.
How much you can eat per day
The daily norm of tomatoes depends on many factors. In the presence of chronic intestinal diseases should not exceed the norm of 200 g per day.
In the case if there are no gastrointestinal diseases, you can increase the norm to 300 g per day. But it's important not to abuse tomatoes, because they contain a large amount of vitamins and minerals, which can provoke hypervitaminosis.
Is it possible to eat at night and on an empty stomach
Tomatoes are very popular in dieting due to their low calorie content. This is why they can be eaten at night and in the morning on an empty stomach.
Despite the fact that they have very few calories, they will help to add strength and reduce hunger. Thus, tomatoes are great for a light snack even before going to bed. But it is important to eat them not earlier than two hours before going to bed. This is because immediately after eating you can't go to bed, because the stomach is still working.
Can I Eat Green Tomatoes?
Today you can find many recipes for salads and twists based on green tomatoes. But you should use them with caution, because they contain a higher amount of solanine. This substance is dangerous for the body and can cause harm.
Before using green tomatoes for salads or twists, they should be blanched in several batches. This is the only way to remove some of the dangerous substance.
But such tomatoes are not always harmful. They perfectly cope with the unpleasant signs of varicose veins. In this case, you can both eat them and make compresses from them. Cut the tomatoes into circles and apply them to the areas where the disease is manifested. Fix them with a bandage or cling film. Remove the compresses after 2-3 hours.
Can I eat sprouted tomatoes
Such vegetables can also be dangerous for the body. The fact is that they also contain solanine in large quantities. From such a product, experts recommend to give up and not to eat.
Is it possible to eat tomatoes with phytophthora
Phytophthora is called a plant disease, which is caused by pathogens. These are parasites that appear on plants and take away all the nutrients. It is forbidden to eat such tomatoes. First of all, such vegetables practically lack micronutrients and nutrients. Also phytophthora can harm the human body and cause digestive disorders.
Thus, the affected fruits should be thrown out. It is strictly forbidden to eat them.
What can be cooked from tomatoes: Recipes
On the basis of tomatoes today you can find many recipes. From them prepare not only salads, but also make ajika, ketchup, pasta and other dishes. All of them are useful for the body, quite tasty and flavorful. When cooking, it is important to follow the technology and the amount of ingredients.
This dish is very popular. It can be stored for a long time. The most popular recipes:
Lecho consisting of sweet peppers and tomatoes
To prepare it, the following ingredients will be required:
- granulated sugar in the amount of 100 g;
- Half a cup of vegetable oil;
- 2 kg tomatoes;
- 2 big spoons of salt;
- 3 kg of sweet bell peppers;
- A tablespoon of 9% vinegar;
- A few peas of black pepper.
Wash the tomatoes and mashed potato them. You can do this with a blender or meat grinder. The mass is put into a saucepan, pour the oil, add sugar. Place the container on the stove, bring it to a boil. Boil everything for 20 minutes.
Bulgarian peppers are washed, cut into julienne strips and put into the pot. Cover with a lid and cook for another 20 minutes. 5-7 minutes before the end of cooking add vinegar and peas. It can be placed in previously sterilized jars. Sterilize both in a water bath and in an oven. All tightly covered with lids, let cool and put away for storage in a cool place.
Also useful for health, has a unique taste. To cook it, you will need:
- 1.5 kg of sweet peppers;
- 1.5 kilograms of zucchini;
- 2 kg of tomatoes;
- A glass of vegetable oil;
- 100 grams of granulated sugar;
- A couple of cloves of garlic;
- 100 ml of apple cider vinegar;
- 2 tablespoons salt.
Zucchini and peppers are washed and cut into cubes. Tomatoes to puree, pour into a saucepan, bring to a boil. After boiling for 5 minutes, add chopped vegetables and boil it again.
Once the mass is boiling, add vegetable oil, salt and sugar. All cover with a lid and boil for 10 minutes. Add garlic, vinegar and leave for five minutes. Put everything into jars.
This is a fairly spicy seasoning made from tomatoes, red pepper, salt and garlic. It is an aromatic paste. It can be excellently combined with meat and fish dishes.
Classical adjika is prepared according to the following recipe: You will need 2.5 kg of tomatoes, half a kilo of sweet peppers, 150 g of garlic, 3 pieces of chili pepper, 100 g of sugar, 50 ml of vegetable oil, 25 ml of vinegar and half a tablespoon of salt.
Wash the tomatoes, cut them in two halves and grind them through a meat grinder. Pour the resulting mass in a saucepan and evaporate all the excess moisture. To speed up this process, it is recommended to squeeze the mass with gauze.
Pepper is also washed, peeled and ground through a meat grinder. Add it to the tomatoes. Also add granulated sugar, vegetable oil and salt. Boil it for half an hour. Before removing from the heat add vinegar and garlic to the ajika. Leave it for 5 minutes.
Ajika prepared in this way can be stored in sterilized jars all winter.
This is a well-known sauce, which includes not only tomatoes, but also spices. In stores you can find many different variants of such an additive to the dish. But usually they include, in addition to vegetables, dyes and preservatives. A useful product can be prepared at home.
There are many recipes. The simplest is the classic one. It is simple, allows you to prepare ketchup, which resembles in its taste Krasnodar sauce.
To prepare the following products will be required:
- half a cup of granulated sugar;
- 2.5 kg of tomatoes;
- half a tablespoon of salt;
- 2 buds of cloves;
- 20 peas of black pepper;
- 10 coriander;
- 2 tablespoons of 9% vinegar.
Tomatoes for ketchup is better to take the ripest, but not watery, as the quality of tomatoes depends on the thickness of the sauce. They need to be washed, cut into 4 pieces. All put in a pot and boil for 20 minutes. Tomatoes should boil well. In the process of cooking, the excess moisture must evaporate. That is why you should not cover the container with a lid.
The resulting mass should be rubbed through a sieve to remove the skin and seeds. In some cases it becomes difficult to do this. Then you need to put the pot back on the stove and boil until it is fully cooked.
After the mass is pureed, you need to bring it to the desired consistency. To do this, put the container on minimum heat and cook until the excess moisture evaporates. In this case, the volume of ketchup decreases by almost one and a half times.
When the mass has thickened, it is necessary to add seasonings. But in order not to catch them after the end of cooking, it is recommended to use the following advice: put the seasonings in gauze and tie them. Put the knot in the pot, and throw the tip over the edge. When the spices give off their flavor (20 minutes), take out the knot and squeeze it out. Then it can be thrown out.
Ketchup should be salted, add sugar and vinegar. Boil on low heat for another 10 minutes. Ketchup prepared in this way, stored in glass, presterilized jars. Its shelf life is up to six months.
Juice derived from tomatoes also has useful properties, especially if it is prepared at home. To make it is quite simple. The following ingredients will be required:
- 12 kg of tomatoes;
- salt and sugar to taste.
The tomatoes should be fairly ripe and sweet. They should be washed, remove the stalks and cut into several pieces. All pass through a juicer. If you don't have one, you can use a meat grinder or blender. In the first case, more juice will remain. If you use a blender or meat grinder, the juice will come out with pulp.
Tomatoes can also be strained through a sieve. The process is labor-intensive, but it helps to get tomato juice almost without pulp.
Press cake is not needed, you can put it aside and pour the juice into a pot. Add salt and sugar. Their amount depends on the volume of juice obtained. For each liter you will need about 2 teaspoons of sugar and half a tablespoon of salt.
The pot should be placed on the fire, bring to a boil and boil for 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Then remove the container from the stove, and pour the juice into pre-prepared jars. Screw on the lids, let cool and put away for storage.
Paste made from tomatoes is used to prepare such dishes as stews, borscht, ketchup, kharcho. It can be cooked at home. In this case, the resulting product will be natural and the most useful, as it does not contain dyes, flavor enhancers, flavor.
The simplest is the classic recipe. To prepare tomato paste in accordance with it, you will need:
- 3 kg of tomatoes;
To make tomato paste, you can use slightly crumpled tomatoes, but they should not be spoiled. They should be washed, cut into several pieces and all put in a saucepan, which should be covered with a lid.
Put the container on low heat, cook for 40 minutes. The tomatoes should become soft. After that, leave the mixture to infuse. Pour the liquid into another container, as it will not be needed. Rub the rest of the mass through a sieve. This will remove the skin and seeds. You should get a fairly thick juice. It should be boiled for a few hours to evaporate all the excess moisture, and then rub it and cook again for an hour. Add salt to taste.
Once the pasta is thick enough, put it in sterilized jars and cover with a lid. You can store the paste up to six months in a cool place.
How to pickle
Pickled tomatoes are a popular appetizer, especially on the holiday table. Tomatoes and the juice they contain help cope with hangovers. Preparing them is not difficult, even for beginners. For this you will need:
- 1.2 kg of tomatoes;
- a tablespoon of sugar;
- half a tablespoon of salt;
- 50 ml of 9% vinegar;
- 2 bay leaves;
- 4 peas of black pepper;
- 3 cloves.
Tomatoes need to be washed. Before cooking, sterilize all jars. You can do this in an oven or in a water bath. In a jar put a bay leaf, the rest of the spices and tomatoes.
Boil two liters of water and pour hot water into the jar. After 10 minutes, pour it back into the pot, boil it. Then once again pour it into the jar, screw the lid.
When the jar cools down, it should be put away in a cool place. Keep such tomatoes can be stored for six months. Serve cold to meat dishes.
Can tomatoes be given to animals
Tomatoes bring invaluable benefits. They contain many micronutrients and vitamins that the human body needs. Animals also need all these substances to maintain health and vitality.
But giving tomatoes fresh to animals is not recommended. This is due to the fact that they contain sugar in a certain amount. Tomatoes can be included in the diet of cats and dogs only as part of soups, broths, stews.
Fresh tomatoes are useful for rodents. They are soft and tasty, and they contain many micronutrients, which are so necessary for animals. The presence of tomatoes in the diet will help to return the coat shine and silkiness, increase the immunity of the pet and protect it from the development of certain diseases.
Interesting facts about tomatoes
Tomatoes are a popular vegetable, which is quite a valuable product for the body. It is used in many dishes, consumed both fresh and salted, pickled and even dried. But not everyone knows a few interesting facts about them:
- For a long time, tomatoes were considered unfit for consumption and poisonous. They were grown as an exotic plant.
- In Russia, tomatoes appeared only at the end of the 18th century.
- In first place in growing tomatoes and harvesting is China. The second and third places go to India and the United States, respectively. Thus, experts estimate that every third tomato in the world is grown in China.
- Tomato pulp is widely used in folk medicine. On its basis do not only regenerating masks for the skin and hair. The pulp is also used to accelerate the healing process of sun or heat burns, wounds. This property is achieved due to the presence in the composition of plant antibiotics. They are called phytoncides. They are the ones that do not let the infection spread and activate the regeneration process.
- The monument to the tomato can be found in Ukraine. It is located in the town of Kamianka-Dneprovskaya.
- The largest tomato that has ever been grown is considered to be the tomato, which weighs 2.9 kg. The record was registered in the USA, in Wisconsin.
- Specialists have identified about 10 thousand varieties of tomatoes. The smallest tomato is considered to be the one with a diameter of only 2 cm.
- Tomatoes are similar to tobacco and potatoes in their biological properties. Botany defines all three crops as belonging to the Solanaceae family.
Tomatoes are a popular product that can be consumed daily. It benefits the body and is used for cosmetic purposes.
Tomatoes are also widely used for medicinal purposes. They help to cope with the symptoms of certain diseases. On the basis of tomatoes a huge number of dishes are prepared, which are used as a condiment, a tasty additive or a snack. Proper use of tomatoes will allow the body to replenish useful substances and vitamins. But you should not abuse them either, as an excessive amount can lead to the occurrence of certain symptoms.
«Important: All information on this site is provided solely for introductory For information purposes only. Before applying any recommendations, consult a health care professional. specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be held liable for any possible harm caused by materials."