Lentil Sprouts: composition, useful properties, recipes
Lentils belong to one of the varieties of representatives of the legume family. It is grown throughout the country. It has gained popularity in European and Asian countries because of its useful qualities and versatility. Regular consumption of this valuable product, rich in vitamins and trace elements, has a beneficial effect on the human body and helps to cope with many diseases. In our country, lentils have not yet found due demand. However, with the development of culinary recipes and cravings, everything may soon change.
- What are lentils
- Composition and calories
- Useful properties of sprouted lentils
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- For Children
- Sprouted Lentils in medicine
- Sprouted Lentils for weight loss
- Harm and contraindications
- How to Sprout Lentils at Home
- Consumption rate
- What to cook with Sprouted Lentils: Recipes
- Interesting Facts about Lentils
What are lentils
The legume crop is an herbaceous annual plant grown for food purposes. Small, compact shrubs grow up to 30-75 cm. The leaves are oval in shape and arranged on short petioles. Inflorescences are formed in brushes, the plant blooms with small flowers. The buds are of different colors: red, white or pink. One bud contains 1 to 3 small, flattened rhomboid-shaped fruits. The edges are pointed, and the size and color of the pods vary from variety to variety.
Composition and calories
Lentil sprouts have a huge nutritional value. The dietary product is often used in weight loss programs. The composition has a low caloric value - 119 kcal per 100 grams.
The sprouts are rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals, which contribute to the normalization of the body. Sprouted lentils have much more vitamin C than dried fruits, and this already has a positive effect on strengthening the immune system and resistance to colds. The sprouts contain important elements such as manganese, beta-carotene, copper, phosphorus, potassium, iron and calcium. The product is rich in vitamins B1, B4, B9, B6, there is also vitamin E and more than 20 varieties of amino acids. Each of the micronutrients as a whole has a health-promoting effect on humans.
Useful properties of sprouted lentils
When lentils sprout, the content of useful substances increases significantly. The amount of antioxidants, fiber, the content of vitamin C increases several times. At the same time the product is an excellent remedy for preventing viral diseases. Owing to lentils, the nervous system functions become normalized. Lentil seeds are recommended for people with diabetes. When using the product, blood sugar levels are normalized, cholesterol levels are reduced.
Lentils are considered a source of natural protein. Thanks to its properties, there is no accumulation of toxins and toxins in the body. Sprouted legumes have the following advantages:
- The content of complex carbohydrates helps to relieve stress and fatigue.
- Promotes rapid regeneration of the skin.
- Normalizes the work of the genitourinary system.
- Positively affects the strengthening of the scalp.
- It is indicated for people suffering from low hemoglobin, and for anemia. Regular use of cereals increases the number of red blood cells in the blood.
- It strengthens the body and increases protective functions.
- Available methionine has a positive effect on the liver, relieves muscle pain.
- Medical professionals recommend consuming sprouted lentils for people suffering from alcoholism, as well as with depression.
- Nutritionists advise the use of culture for obesity and for rapid weight loss.
Adding lentil dishes to the menu can minimize the risk of developing breast cancer. During menstruation (with regular use of the product) pain syndrome is reduced, and during the menopause lentils will become a real cure, able to alleviate a difficult condition.
Especially useful is sprout porridge for pregnant women. It helps in the normal formation and development of the fetus inside the womb. The content of folic acid in beans will have a beneficial effect on the health of the future mother and the development of the baby.
Girls who dream of giving up hated pounds can include lentils in any, even the most stringent diet.
Regular use of the plant is shown to men of all ages. In the male body there is an improvement in the reproductive reproductive function. The maturation of full-fledged sperm occurs more quickly. Due to the useful properties that help improve the function of the genitourinary system, preventing the formation of kidney stones, the legume culture postpones premature aging of the body.
Men can use lentil sprouts to get rid of a number of chronic diseases forever. However, when eating lentil sprouts, it is necessary to observe the norm. It is not recommended to eat large quantities of the product.
Including a variety of dishes from lentils in the diet of children can improve the health of the younger generation.
Cereals are the building material of muscle and bone tissue, so necessary for proper growth and development. Lentils can be added to salads, soups, and to prepare individual dishes. The nutritional value of the product will only have a positive impact on the formation of the child's body, which must receive a sufficient number of micronutrients and vitamins.
Sprouted lentils in medicine
- It is recommended to be introduced into the diet in case of vascular and heart diseases, pneumonia and bronchitis.
- You can get rid of heart problems thanks to lentils. Useful fruits have a great effect on the female body, facilitating the course of critical days. Strengthening blood vessels, grits will help reduce blood loss.
- Also the unique product will be able to protect the body from the appearance of various neoplasms in the breast and uterus, including malignant.
- The protein contained in lentil sprouts will be an excellent material for building children's bodies. Bones will develop well and grow according to age.
Sprouted lentils for weight loss
Useful low-calorie product is not too common in our country. A source of vegetable protein and fiber can become an indispensable assistant in the fight for slimness. The product has a powerful effect on fat deposits, easily breaking them down and removing them from the body. In order to prepare not only nutritious, but also tasty dishes, it is necessary to know what kind is better to choose for this purpose.
The legume varieties differ in the color of the grains. All types are suitable for weight loss, but each has individual characteristics:
- Green. When cooking retains its shape, but cooks longer than other varieties. Excellent for preparing dietary salads, as well as used as a component for vegetable dishes.
- Brown. Cooks well, has a pleasant flavor of nuts. Mainly included in thick soups or cooked as a separate dish.
- Red. Very quickly boiled, you can not soak it before. Suitable for cooking porridges, soups and other universal dishes.
- Black Grits. Small black groats in appearance reminiscent of black fish roe. It is used in first courses and as a side dish.
Whichever you choose lentils, they will always be beneficial for losing extra pounds. The large amount of necessary microelements and vitamins will saturate the body and rid it of toxins and impurities. Positive results can be noticed in a short time.
Harms and contraindications
When using lentils, you should consider some contraindications and tips for proper use. Despite the high content of dietary fiber, lentils can be harmful to the stomach. Like all legumes, lentils can cause gas in the intestines. People with dysbacteriosis or serious stomach problems should not consume the product.
Doctors do not recommend to include lentils in the menu of people who have diseases of the joints. This can be done only after consulting with your doctor. In order to avoid the negative effects of lentils on the body, you should always observe the norm of the consumed product. Failure to observe caution can lead to unfortunate consequences.
How to sprout lentils at home
Before sprouting lentils, the following points should be taken into consideration when buying them:
- When selecting the groats, you should carefully examine them for the presence of foreign objects. The groats may contain a large amount of trash, small stones. Such a product is better not to purchase. The color should be uniform. The package should not contain immature, green grits. There should be no dark spots, mold, or rot on the lentils. The grits should also be examined for fungal infestations.
- For soaking choose the right utensil. It should be enamel, clay or glass. When washing the grits floated fruit should be discarded. If lentils float on the surface, then it is incomplete or empty, does not have any useful properties.
How to sprout?
Lentils should be poured into a suitable pot or other dishes and pour clean, cool water. In this form the groats should be left for about 8-10 hours. When swelling, the grains increase by almost 4 times, so the amount should be taken at this rate.
After the allotted time, rinse the groats thoroughly and drain the water. The processed clean grains should be covered loosely with a lid or a towel and put in a cool, dark place for 3 days. During this period lentils should be washed twice a day. After the grits become soft, they are washed for the last time, drained of water and put in a cool place. The cooked product should be eaten within 5-7 days.
To sprout lentils at home, you can choose another method:
- Peel the groats, rinse and pour them on a tray.
- Moisten the grains with clean, cool water, cover the top with wet gauze or cloth.
- Leave the tray for 24 hours, constantly moistening the grains with water.
- At the end of the day, lentils are thoroughly washed, again sprinkled with water and covered with a cloth.
- In this form the grits stand for another day. During this time the product should not be allowed to dry out.
- If sprouts are needed, keep the lentils in a wet state for another 1-2 days. Store ready sprouted lentils in a glass or enamel bowl in the refrigerator.
Important: The length of the ready sprouts after soaking should not exceed 2 mm. If the sprouted lentils have longer sprouts, they become poisonous and will only cause harm to the body.
The norm for consumption
In order not to harm your body, it is necessary to know the measure in the consumption of products. Lentils should be eaten in small portions. The permissible daily allowance of the legume culture is 150 grams per day.
The body takes a long time to digest the product, so it is recommended to eat lentils for breakfast or lunch. You should not eat lentils in the evening and especially not eat them at night.
What to cook with sprouted lentils: recipes
Sprouted seeds have a pleasant vegetable flavor, somewhat reminiscent of green peas. This makes it possible to use the grain of the legume culture for the preparation of any salads. The grits go well with cereals and meat. Lentils can be crushed for mashed potatoes, as well as used to prepare the same name porridge. Modern cooking can offer many recipes in which lentils will not only be a treasure trove of important vitamins, but also a very tasty product that will complement the taste of any original dish.
To cook this simple and hearty dish, you will not need a lot of time and products. In this recipe, we will need green lentils (0.5 cups), rice, preferably brown, but you can take any (3 tbsp), half an onion, half a tbsp of celery, cauliflower (150 grams) and 1 piece each of carrots and potatoes. You can take any seasonings and herbs at your discretion.
Pour water in a suitable container and put it on the stove. After the water boils, pour the lentils and rice, after about 10-15 minutes you should add chopped potatoes. Separately, in a skillet you need to fry chopped vegetables in vegetable oil. At the very end, add half a spoonful of turmeric. After everything is fried, the contents are sent to a container and left to simmer for a few more minutes. At the end of the boil, add your favorite spices as desired.
When creating vegetable salads with lentils, absolutely any vegetable crops will do. Such dishes will be an excellent addition to both the daily diet and to the festive table. These days there is a large list of all kinds of recipes:
- Vegetables are taken in an arbitrary amount. Chop bell peppers, add lentils with sprouts, fresh herbs from the bed. Mix everything, salt and season with sunflower oil.
- Mix the lentils with chopped cucumber and tomato, add any chopped fresh herbs. You can add a radish. For an original flavor in the salad you can put spices. Add a little salt and any oil.
You can experiment as you like with lentils. Salads are made with the addition of cabbage, eggplant, celery, carrots and other vegetables.
Diet dish is prepared from a minimal set of simple products. You will need about 400 grams of lentils, 1 red bell pepper and fresh carrot each, 3 tablespoons of linseed flour, spices and salt to your taste and oil for frying.
Lentils should be sorted out, well washed and sprouted. Pour it in a suitable bowl, then put grated carrots and chopped peppers. Lastly, add a little mustard oil, flour, spices and grind it all with a blender. From the resulting homogeneous mass formed small cutlets and fried in a pan.
Interesting Facts about Green Lentils
Cultivate representative of the legume family since ancient times. The first mentions of the culture occur in the East and in Egypt even before our era. The useful grits are mentioned more than once in the Bible. In our country lentils were cultivated not only for themselves, but also to sell to other countries. To say that this plant is undeservedly forgotten is not necessary. In many restaurants lentils are often used for cooking various masterpieces. And in fact, there is a reason to respect it:
- According to the ancient Egyptians, lentils were an aphrodisiac, which is why they are still found in ancient tombs. In addition, there were mentions that lentils are beneficial for the development of children.
- The biblical hero Esau sold his brother the right of primogeniture for nothing more than a bowl of red lentils. The French appreciated this and created a lentil counterpart.
- The valuable cereal is rich in different varieties, from which you can always choose your favorite. Red, green, white, black coloring of the shell makes the groats attractive.
- Environmentally friendly product does not accumulate harmful toxins and slags. Grown even in dirty regions, groats will not do any harm to humans.
The legume crop is rich in proteins, fiber and vitamins. Consumption helps to strengthen the immune system and get rid of cholesterol.
Lentils are among the first crops cultivated in our country. A huge number of dishes are prepared with the use of this legume crop. In addition to soups, purees, cutlets, salads and side dishes, lentils are even used to make sweets. Dried fruits, cocoa powder and sugar are used for this purpose. The result is a very tasty and healthy treat.
The beneficial properties of lentils have been known for a long time - regular consumption of groats will bring great benefits to people of all ages and genders.
«Important: all information on this site is provided solely for introductory for educational purposes. Before using any recommendations, we recommend that you consult with a specialist. health care professionals. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."