Wheat Cereal: what is made of, useful properties, recipes.
Wheat grits were used by ancient people as a food product. At that time, people, of course, did not know that groats not only have excellent taste qualities, but also are very useful for health and help to preserve the youth of the body. Today, dishes based on wheat grits are also very common and used in various national cuisines.
- What is wheatgrass and what is it made of?
- What is the difference between wheatgrass and millet
- Composition and calories
- What is Wheatgrass Good for?
- Wheat grit useful for weight loss
- Wheat grit usefulness
- Wheatgrass in medicine
- Diabetes mellitus
- For pancreatitis
- For constipation
- Wheatgrass in cosmetology
- Face Scrub Mask
- Mask for Dry Skin
- Dry skin withering mask
- Oily porous skin mask
- Hazards and Contraindications
- How to choose and store wheat groats
- What can be made of wheat groats
- Should I wash wheat groats before cooking?
What is wheatgrass and what is it made of?
Wheat grits are finely ground wheat grains of dark yellow or brown-gray color.
During boiling, the grains are boiled at the same time, so the dish is very easy to cook. Boil it for 20-50 minutes, depending on the grinding. After boiling, the porridge is usually stewed in a warm place for about half an hour.
The shelf life of wheat groats is up to 1 year. It is not recommended to buy large quantities of the product in order to store it for a long time, because the groats can become infected with mold or moths.
- Arnautica. Derived from durum wheat with a glassy grain.
- Artek. A processed product made up of ground finely ground grains.
- Bulgur. Bran-cleaned and steamed processed grains.
- Wheat Flakes. Cereals that have been pressed and steamed. A product that cooks quickly, suitable for desserts and porridges.
- Poltava. A processed product obtained by crushing and freeing the grains from their shells and germs.
What is the difference between wheat groats and millet
Despite the fact that wheat and millet have consonant names, they are completely different cereal products. Wheat is the raw material from which cereals, including wheat groats, are made. Millet, on the other hand, is a cereal obtained by processing millet grains.
Wheat groats are used to make wheat gruel. The resulting dish is an excellent source of dietary fiber, minerals and vitamins. It can be included both in the diet of an adult and in the menu of a child.
Millet porridge is made of millet. The dish has a characteristic yellow color, it contains proteins and carbohydrates, minerals and essential human amino acids. Before cooking, it is recommended to soak the porridge for a couple of hours, then rinse it well, and then boil it over low heat (30 minutes).
Ingredients and calories
In 100 grams of the product contains:
- calories - 329 kcal;
- proteins - 11 g
- fats - 1.2 g;
- Carbohydrates - 68.5 g.
In addition, the product contains vitamins B and A, C, E, F. Also groats are rich in potassium, calcium, magnesium, zinc, molybdenum and phosphorus.
What is useful for wheatgrass
- It gives you energy. Wheat contains vitamin B, which stimulates the body to produce energy. In addition, the product contains complex carbohydrates, which help to maintain a feeling of fullness and give energy for a long time.
- It prevents metabolic disorders. Wheat groats are very useful for people with metabolic disorders. Regular consumption of wheat products will protect the body from visceral obesity, high triglyceride levels, and help normalize HDL levels and blood pressure.
- Reduces chronic inflammation. The betaine found in wheat helps prevent chronic inflammation, which is very helpful in cases of rheumatic diseases. Its anti-inflammatory properties prevent the occurrence of osteoporosis, various heart diseases, as well as cognitive dysfunction and type 2 diabetes.
- It prevents gallstones in the gallbladder. Because wheat is rich in insoluble fiber, it allows food to pass quickly and smoothly through the intestines and reduces the secretion of bile acids. Their excess is a major cause of gallstone formation.
- It improves metabolism. Fiber also helps speed up the digestive process and improves overall metabolism. Many doctors recommend consuming wheat gruel and other foods rich in fiber.
- Prevents childhood asthma. A wheat diet helps reduce the risk of asthma by more than 40%. Bronchial hypersensitivity is a key contributor to asthma. This condition is characterized by constriction of the airways and hypersensitivity. Many studies have observed that children who eat wheat porridge have less asthma because these foods are high in magnesium and vitamin E.
- Cleanses the liver. Wheatgrass is an excellent source of antioxidants and dietary fiber. These substances help in detoxification of the liver. The liver is one of the largest internal organs, and keeping it healthy helps to remove toxins from the body regularly.
- It prevents heart attacks. Wheat is rich in substances that protect the body from heart disease. People who regularly consume wheat grits have significantly higher levels of the protective substance, lignan, in their blood. In addition, wheat products are high in fiber, which helps reduce blood pressure and the likelihood of a heart attack and normalizes triglyceride levels, which slows the progression of atherosclerosis and stroke.
- Improves intestinal health. Wheatgrass has a prebiotic effect on intestinal microflora. It improves digestion and increases the absorption of nutrients in the body. In addition, some types of wheatgrass are an excellent source of resistant starch, which is not digested and thus becomes food for intestinal microflora.
- Useful for skin health. The selenium, vitamin E and zinc found in wheat help the body nourish the skin. Also, regular consumption of this product will prevent acne and protect the skin from the sun's rays. In addition, the high fiber content keeps the digestive system in optimal condition, which helps to eliminate toxins regularly. This, in turn, helps to keep the skin youthful.
- Revitalizes the hair. The zinc in wheat promotes healthy hair and protects it from damage caused by environmental factors.
- Useful for eye health. Vitamin E, niacin and zinc reduce the risk of yellow spot degeneration and cataracts.
- It has anti-cancer properties. Wheat cereal acts as an anticarcinogenic agent; this product has a particularly positive effect on the female body. Studies show that to reduce the risk of breast cancer women need only about 30 grams of the product a day. In addition, regular consumption of groats significantly reduces the secretion of bile acids and bacterial enzymes in the stool, thereby reducing the likelihood of colon cancer. The lignans in cereals prevent the growth and spread of cancer cells. They affect hormones, thereby reducing some of the risk factors for cancer.
The benefits of wheatgrass for weight loss
Wheatgrass is one of the best foods to help you lose weight fast. Wheat contains many vitamins, trace elements, in addition, it is rich in fiber. It is an easily digestible product that helps maintain the function of the gastrointestinal tract. Wheat porridge will help to get rid of constipation, lower cholesterol levels, take part in the process of removing excess fats, toxins, antibiotic residues and salts from the body.
In addition, wheat contains choline, a substance that directly affects fat metabolism. During the period of the wheat diet, a person will not feel constant hunger, as porridge is a very nutritious product.
The benefits of wheat gruel
With the regular use of wheat-based porridge is strengthening and normalization of the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, this product prevents the occurrence of problems related to the functionality of the digestive system, for example, gets rid of constipation. It improves metabolism and helps to eliminate toxins from the body. The antioxidant properties of this product protect the body from the signs of aging.
This dish is recommended for people with high cholesterol levels and regular physical activity. In addition, porridge is very useful for children, as it contains useful substances that are necessary for normal development.
Wheat grits in medicine
Wheatgrass is a very useful product that can be used as a preventive measure against diabetes and various types of cancer. In addition, it contains a lot of fiber, which prevents and eliminates problems associated with intestinal disorders.
The body fights every day against substances that are trying to harm it. Some of the major pests are nitrites and nitrates. Although these substances themselves are not that dangerous, they can be converted to nitrosamines, carcinogens that are harmful to the body. Avoiding this is not so easy, but in this case, wheat groats come to the rescue. It helps to reduce their potentially negative effects. Ferulic acid in its composition prevents the occurrence of nitrosamines.
Wheat and products based on it help control blood sugar levels, so experts highly recommend consuming it on a regular basis for diabetes. It contains a lot of fiber. Fiber has a positive effect on the intestinal function and prevents the conversion of sugars into fat.
In addition, the product contains pectins - substances that are aimed at neutralizing harmful substances, and also help to reduce the processes of putrefaction in the intestines and heal its mucosa. With this cereal you can prepare a variety of dietary dishes. Wheat porridge is an indispensable product in the diet of people with diabetes, because it not only affects blood sugar, but also helps to remove excess cholesterol from the body. The norm of consumption of porridge in diabetes is 2 times a day.
Important: The glycemic index of wheat groats is 45 units.
In the case of chronic pancreatic inflammation, meals based on wheat are allowed to eat up to 1 time a week, otherwise the disease can worsen. To begin with, 50-100 g per day will be enough. In addition, you should pay attention to your condition after eating this food. In case of discomfort, this food should be excluded from the diet.
People suffering from an acute form of pancreatitis are forbidden to consume this product. The ban is valid until all symptoms of inflammation are eliminated. It is allowed to introduce this product into the diet after 30-40 days after the end of treatment, and it is highly recommended to get a doctor's advice.
In the case of an acute form of gastritis, it is forbidden to use wheat groats. This product can be included in the menu only in the period of remission. It will help the body to cope with skin rashes that occur during the acute phase of the disease. In addition, the recovery functions of the body are stimulated, even in cases of severe form of the disease.
Fiber contained in cereal normalizes digestion, eliminates constipation. It contributes to a faster and smoother passage of food through the digestive canal, so this product is recommended as a preventive measure against constipation.
Wheat grits in cosmetology
Face scrub mask
- Shredded orange (half a fruit) in a blender, mix it with ground wheat grits (2 tsp.).
- Apply the mask to the face. Wait 5-7 minutes. Wash off with warm water.
Mask for dry skin
Pour 2 tablespoons of wheat bran in warm milk. After swelling the resulting mixture applied to the face. Wait 10-15 minutes. Wash out with warm water.
Mask for fading dry skin
- Heat a month infusion of tea mushroom (4 tbsp.).
- To the boiling point add to the infusion wheat bran (3 tbsp.), honey (2 tbsp.) and mix.
- Apply the mask to the face. Wait 20-30 minutes. Wash the face with warm water, smear the skin with a usual moisturizing cream.
Mask for oily porous skin
- Mix wheat bran (3 tbsp.) with freshly squeezed tomato juice (2 tbsp.) and add yarrow infusion (1 tsp.). Pour 1-2 tbsp. white clay (costs inexpensive, sold at any drugstore).
- Apply the mask to the face. Wait for 15-20 minutes. Wash your face with cool water.
Harms and contraindications
Wheat grits can have a negative effect on the body of people suffering from celiac disease (the inability of the body to absorb gluten, that is, the protein that is contained in grains). In this case, irritation of the intestinal mucosa can occur, which will lead to violations of its functionality, and other internal organs can also be affected. It is also forbidden to use this product for people with individual intolerance.
In addition, this cereal is not recommended to eat in large quantities:
- People who have low acidity of the stomach.
- Women in the position.
- Men. It is known that this product has a positive effect on potency, but only when moderation is observed. With excessive consumption, the effect can be the opposite.
Here are some side effects in case of excessive consumption of this product:
- Allergic reactions, hives, itching, skin rashes and eczema;
- Irritable bowel syndrome;
- Gall bladder and kidney stones, gout;
- Weakening of the body's ability to absorb the minerals iron and zinc.
How to choose and store wheat groats
The first thing you should pay attention to when choosing cereal is its appearance. A quality product should have a uniform light brown color. If the groats have unshelled grains or any trash, then you should not buy them. It is also important that there should be no clumpy or wrinkled grains. You should pay attention to the size of the grains. A coarse grind contains a greater number of useful substances for the human body.
In case of improper storage groats can become infected with mold, which poses a danger to human health. It is highly discouraged to stock up on groats in large quantities in advance in order to store them for a long time. It should be stored in a dry place with relative humidity up to 70% and temperature up to 18C. If the packaging is not airtight, it is necessary to arrange ventilation in the place of storage. Cereal can be stored in plastic or ceramic bowls or in regular glass jars.
It is allowed to store the product for about 12 months.
What to make with wheatgrass
This cereal makes very tasty porridge. It is often used in the preparation of meat, fish and vegetables. In addition, this product can be mixed with rice and millet. Quite often on its basis prepare a variety of soups. In addition, groats can be used during the preparation of pancakes, casseroles, pates, cookies, pies, pilaf, meatballs and bread.
Do I have to wash wheat groats before boiling?
Wheatgrass should be washed before cooking. This will help to remove dust, dirt and debris. In addition, if there is a cake or stones in the groats, it should be rechecked, removing all unnecessary components.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only. information on this site is provided for educational purposes only. Consult a health care professional before applying any recommendations. specialist before using any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."