Notothenia fish: photo, description, useful properties and recipes
In the world's oceans the life of underwater inhabitants is boiling. Swarms of fish move along unmarked paths, swim rapidly for thousands of kilometers, then surfacing to the surface, then deepening to hundreds of meters into the dark depths of the sea. Each fish knows its genus, its family, and often its homeland, to go there to spawn. Notothenia live in the depths of the coldest sea on earth, at the bottom of the ocean.
- Notothenia: what kind of fish it is, what it looks like, and where it lives
- How it looks
- Where does it live
- What it eats
- Composition and calories
- What is the usefulness of fish notothenia?
- Harms and contraindications
- Where to buy and how much costs
- How to cook nototenia fish: Recipes
- In the oven
- In a multicooker
- In the Pan
- Nototenia meatballs recipe
- What does notothenia taste like?
- Fat or not?
- Are there many bones in the fish?
- Interesting Facts
Notothenia: what kind of fish it is, what it looks like and where it lives
What does it look like?
The family Notothenia (lat. Nototheniidae) has more than 50-60 species. Long-finned species, for example, have an unusual sinuous lateral line, large gill lids and long radial feathers emanating from the fins. The most famous representative of the genus is the marbled notothenia. It reaches a length of up to 50-90 cm and weighs 2-9 kg. The body is flat, covered with fine scales, the coloration is similar to gray-white marble with a delicate pink shimmer.
Where does it live?
The habitat of Notothenia is wide, it is found around New Zealand, off the coast of Chile, along the northern border of the Southern Ocean. It lives most of its life on the bottom of the Antarctic seas, at depths of up to 500 m. Like most benthic fish, it lacks a swim bladder. Buoyancy of the body is organized by intramuscular fat sacs and reduced bone mineralization.
Water temperature in areas where notothenia live is in the borderline range of freezing. Other fish turn into ice-breakers in such conditions, but notothenia fish do not freeze thanks to the individual characteristic of blood, as a small number of red blood cells contribute to its low viscosity. Through this, the blood circulation in the circulatory system is accelerated. In addition, a special compound of proteins with body sugars, scientifically called glycoproteins, or in the language of fishermen, antifreezes, prevent ice crystallization.
Nototenia mature in 4-5 years, depending on the temperature of the water in their habitat. The more southern and colder the conditions, the later it goes to spawn.
To spawn, the fish ascends to the shallow bottom, among reefs or in coastal areas to lay eggs. The eggs drift freely and often get caught in fishing gear. The range extends to warmer waters as well. There the perch matures more quickly.
What it eats
Notothenia's food consists of plankton, deep-sea small crustaceans, and shrimp.
Antarctic perch fish of the genus Nototenia have more than 50-60 species: narrowhead, broadhead, headhead, smoothhead, and others have significant differences among themselves. Commercial species include the following:
- Antarctic silverside;
- Patagonian and Antarctic toothfish.
Composition and calories
Contents in 100 g of the edible part of marbled notothenia vitamins, minerals:
- Thiamine (B1) - 0.12 mg.
- Riboflavin (B2) - 0.1 mg.
- Pyridoxine (B6) - 0.14 mg.
- Folate (B9) - 9.2 mcg.
- Cobalamin (B12) - 2.8 µg.
- Vitamin C - 0.2 mg.
- Vitamin D - 17.5 µg.
- Vitamin PP, NE - 2.3 mg.
- Potassium - 310 mg.
- Calcium - 30 mg.
- Magnesium - 35 mg.
- Sodium - 100 mg.
- Sulfur - 190 mg.
- Phosphorus - 210 mg.
- Chlorine - 165 mg.
- Iron - 1.5 mg.
- Iodine - 20 mg.
- Cobalt - 15 mg.
- Manganese - 0.09 mg.
- Copper - 150 micrograms.
- Molybdenum - 4 ug.
- Nickel - 6 ug.
- Fluorine - 430 ug.
- Chromium - 55 ug.
- Zinc - 0.7 mg.
GI 100 g of the product - 15.7, 9.5, 0 g, respectively. The caloric value is 148 kcal.
What is the usefulness of notothenia fish?
Nototenia by its nutritional properties can well replace meat. It is high in nutritious fats, proteins and amino acids. The balance of this composition contributes to the rapid absorption of useful substances in the human body.
In addition, the meat of this fish is rich in vitamins C, A, B group, PP. They contribute to strengthening the immune system, maintaining the cardiovascular and nervous systems, nourishing the muscles of the organs of vision.
Nototenia meat contains a lot of micro- and macroelements. Mostly fluorine, potassium and sulfur. Fluorine stimulates the process of hematopoiesis, strengthens bone tissue, is necessary for the mineralization of teeth, nails, and the growth of healthy hair. Promotes excretion of salts of heavy metals. Potassium supports the body's water balance, normalizes blood pressure and balances blood sugar levels. It promotes muscle contraction and the functioning of the nervous system.
The sulfur intake rate is minuscule, 0.5-1 g, but without it some functions, such as blood clotting, are impossible. With the help of sulfur there are important processes that ensure the normal condition of the skin, nails and hair. It has an anti-allergic effect and rejuvenates the body at the cellular level. Sulfur is better absorbed together with iron, fluorine and selenium. Notothenia provides a balanced composition of these elements.
Sodium, copper, chrome, chlorine contribute to the creation of connective tissue and melanin production, and normalize blood glucose content.
Zinc is an essential trace element for healing wounds, prevents the emergence of tumors and neoplasms, increases the immune system.
Fish is good for people of all ages, for children and pregnant women.
Harms and contraindications
Nototenia, like other fish, can cause harm if consumed in large quantities. Contraindicated for those who have an individual intolerance to seafood.
Where to buy and how much it costs
Nototenia can be purchased in stores that specialize in the sale of fish. Online stores offer several species, including marbled and silver. The average price for 1 kg - 250 p. Wholesale prices - from 60 p., the cost depends on the size of the carcass.
When buying, pay attention to the following factors: the carcasses must be even, undamaged, light in color, without a hint of yellowing.
How to cook nototenia fish: recipes
In the preparation of nototenia, you can experiment, do not be afraid of improvisation and flights of fancy.
Important! Fish should be defrosted in the refrigerator, so that the meat retained consistency and juiciness.
In the oven
- Nototenia 2 carcasses;
- cauliflower 500 г;
- flour 3 tbsp;
- eggs 2 pcs;
- cream 150 ml;
- vegetable oil 1 tbsp;
- dry tarragon 1 tbsp.
- Prepare the sauce. Combine the eggs and flour, add cream, salt to taste and mix thoroughly until smooth.
- Break the cabbage into florets, boil in salted water for 5-7 minutes.
- Wash and dry fish carcasses, season with salt.
- Put nototenia on the bottom of the form, put a layer of cabbage on top. Sprinkle with tarragon and pour the sauce. Put into hot oven to bake.
In a multicooker
- leeks 100 г;
- sunflower oil 30 ml;
- honey 1 tbsp;
- carrots 1 pc;
- notothenia 1 kg;
- ground black pepper 1 г;
- tomato juice 200 г;
- lemon juice 1 tbsp;
- salt 2 tsp;
- soy sauce 2 tbsp;
- bay leaf 2 pcs.
- Prepare sauce. White leeks cut into rings, grate carrots on a coarse grater, put in a pan with heated oil and stew for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Then add tomato juice (you can replace it with tomato paste), honey, soy sauce, lemon juice and pour 250 ml of water. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Salt and seasonings are added to taste.
- Wash and dry the cleaned nototina and put it in the bottom of the multicooker. Pour the ready sauce over the fish, add the bay leaf. Turn the multicooker on to fish mode. Serve with mashed potatoes or boiled rice.
In the pan
- nototenia 1 kg;
- onion 1 pc;
- salt 1 tsp;
- pepper 0.5 tsp;
- lemon 0.5 pcs;
- flour 1 cup;
- refined sunflower oil for frying 1 tbsp.
- Clean the carcasses of scales, rinse thoroughly inside the belly from the remains of the innards. Dry fish on a napkin, salt and pepper it a little, leave it for 5-10 minutes.
- Peel onion, wash, cut in half rings, salt and pepper it a little, pour some lemon juice on it. Leave for a while while fish will be fried.
- Dip whole nototenia carcasses in flour and place in hot oil in a frying pan. In 2 minutes there should be a golden crust, then turn down the heat a little, allow the fish to cook inside for a couple more minutes, then turn over and fry the other side in the same way. Frying in this way keeps juiciness, flavor and improves taste.
- Place the fried fish on a dish, surround with pickled onions, garnish with parsley and serve with any garnish.
Recipe for notothenia cutlets
- Nototenia - 1 kg.
- Onions - 1 - 2 pcs.
- Eggs - 2 pcs.
- White bread loaf - 200 gr.
- Salt - 1,5 tsp.
- Ground black pepper - 0.5 tsp.
- Ground turmeric - 1 tsp.
- Prepare nototenia fillets: clean the carcasses from scales, separate the fillets from the bones.
- Pour warm milk over the loaf, let stand until softened, then squeeze out excess liquid.
- Grind fish meat and chopped onions with a meat grinder.
- Add softened loaf, eggs, salt, pepper and mix well until homogeneous.
- Form cutlets, roll in breadcrumbs.
- Fry on both sides over low heat until golden brown.
This amount of ingredients will make 15-16 large flavorful, juicy cutlets.
What does notothenia taste like?
In taste and consistency, notothenia is similar to hake, but still with a distinctive flavor. It does not have a pronounced fishy taste and smell, it is fragrant and juicy.
Fatty or not?
Nototenia is quite fatty fish, the fat is distributed throughout the carcass, and it contributes to the rapid absorption of valuable nutrients.
Are there many bones in the fish?
This seafood has a minimum of bones, only the bony spine and large rib bones in small numbers.
A female notothenia can lay up to 90,000 eggs in a season. The fry that hatch from the eggs have a beautiful blue nacreous coloration. During the first months of life, they stay near coastal areas and grow to 6-7 cm over the summer. As they mature they descend into the near-bottom zone for permanent residence until they mature and go spawn.
«Important: All information on this site is for informational purposes only. information on this site is for informational purposes only. Consult with your fish health care professional before applying any recommendations. specialist before applying any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."