Poppy seed: useful properties and contraindications
Since ancient times, poppy seeds are used in cooking, in cosmetology, are one of the components for the preparation of medicinal infusions and decoctions. In ancient Greece, the poppy was considered a cure for many diseases, revered for its ability to have a beneficial effect on the brain. Nowadays, few people know about the healing qualities of the plant because of people who have created a negative image of the poppy. Many people are often wary of using poppy seeds because of preconceived notions about the plant's narcotic effects. Opium is contained only in the unripe capsules of the plant. The ripe fruits no longer pose any danger.
- Composition and calories
- Useful properties of the poppy
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- Can poppy be given to pregnant and nursing women
- At what age can give a child poppy
- Poppy seeds in medicine
- Diabetes mellitus
- For pancreatitis
- For constipation
- When gout
- Poppy seed-based folk medicine recipes
- Poppy in Cosmetology
- Poppy seed oil: benefits and uses
- Poppy milk benefits
- How to Make
- Poppy seeds in cooking
- Hazards and contraindications
- How to choose and store poppy seeds
- Interesting facts about poppy
Composition and calories
Poppy seeds contain a large number of useful and important substances for the body. The caloric value of poppy seeds per 100 grams of the product is 556 kcal. The composition has the most fats.
- Fats - 50%.
- Protein - 20%.
- Essential oils - 45-55%.
- Amino acids.
- Fatty acids.
- B vitamins, as well as C, PP, E.
- Magnesium, calcium, zinc, sulfur, iron, copper, phosphorus, manganese.
Because of their rich composition, poppy seeds are used in confectionery production, as well as for the preparation of medicines. In folk medicine, all parts of the plant are used: roots, stems, leaves and flowers.
Useful properties of the poppy
Medicinal properties of the poppy have been known to mankind since the days when there were no chemical preparations. With the help of poppy seeds, it is possible to benefit the body and get rid of many diseases.
- Poppy seeds are great for the digestive function. With their help, you can get rid of diarrhea and dysentery.
- The natural product will help to break up nervous disorders, get rid of insomnia. If you mix poppy seeds with honey, you get a miracle cure for stress and depression.
- Poppy seeds are used to produce oil, which is used in confectionery, perfumery, cosmetology and for making paints for painting.
- Drugs based on the poppy can help relieve inflammation of the sciatic nerve.
In addition to their many beneficial effects, poppy seeds have the following positive qualities:
- Quickly and effectively fight coughing attacks in diseases of the bronchi and lungs. As you know, the attacks intensify closer to the night, and poppy seeds help to calm them.
- Regular consumption of poppy seeds prevents the development of cancer cells. It is scientifically proven: if you consume poppy seeds during illness, you can slow down the further development of cancerous formations.
- Thanks to their calcium content, poppy seeds have a positive effect on strengthening bones. In the past, children with rickets were given poppy seed buns.
- A decoction made from poppy seeds is used as a painkiller. It will quickly and effectively relieve toothaches and headaches. These properties of the seeds are due to the presence of morphine.
- With the help of poppy seeds you can improve the immune system, strengthen the body's resistance to various viral and infectious diseases. With the regular use of poppy seeds, the intake of essential vitamins and trace elements is provided.
- Included in the antioxidants have a positive effect on human vision. Poppy seeds prevent the formation of changes in the retina associated with age or the development of pathological conditions.
The benefits of poppy seeds are enormous. But at the same time we should not forget that, along with the healing properties, the product can also bring harm to the body. Therefore, you should consult your doctor before eating foods with poppy seeds or being treated with preparations based on poppy seeds.
Poppy seed preparations and dishes have different effects on women and men. This is due to the individual characteristics of the opposite sexes.
Regular use of poppy for the female body brings invaluable benefits. Basically, this is expressed in the normalization of the hormonal background and the removal of irritability and anxiety. Frequent headaches, nervousness and insomnia are typical for the fairer sex. Poppy properties help get rid of these unpleasant problems.
For the body of the representatives of the stronger sex, not the seeds of the poppy, but other components of the plant will do more good. Composition of poppy leaves will get rid of excessive sweating, help to heal small superficial wounds faster. Poppy milk will give a boost of vivacity. This is not to say that poppy seeds will not benefit men at all: they will help to say goodbye to insomnia and nervous tension.
Can poppy seeds be used by pregnant and nursing women?
Many people wonder: can I use poppy seeds during pregnancy? The answer to this question is not unambiguous. The useful properties of the poppy have a beneficial effect on some processes in the body of future mothers, but, along with this, can cause harm. The benefits of the poppy during pregnancy are expressed in the following processes:
- Due to the high content of proteins and fats there is a normal functioning of the internal organs of the pregnant woman.
- If pregnant women suffer from increased nervous excitability, poppy seeds can help them cope with anxiety symptoms, get rid of insomnia.
- Poppy seeds can relieve spasms of the blood vessels or urinary tract.
- Maca contains calcium, which is necessary for building bone tissue. Lack of this element can lead to improper skeletal development of the unborn child and other health problems.
When consuming a poppy-based dish or remedies, pregnant women should be aware that substances of narcotic origin contained in the product can have a bad effect on the baby.
Poppies should not be consumed uncontrollably. Breastfeeding women can start eating poppy seeds when the baby is 4-6 months old. Before that time, it is advisable to give up the product. Beginning to introduce poppy products into the diet, it is necessary to monitor the infant's condition. If the baby did not show an allergic reaction, did not start digestive problems, then you can safely use poppy and further, of course, observing the dosage.
At what age can I give my child poppy
As mentioned above, poppy seeds are undoubtedly beneficial for children's bodies. The calcium contained in them participates in the formation of the skeleton, normalizes the functioning of the kidneys, liver and gastrointestinal tract. However, the high content of codeine and morphine in the product suggests reducing the consumption of poppy seeds to a minimum. Poppy products and buns can be given to children as soon as they begin to eat on their own. It is impossible to eat a lot of poppy seeds at a young age, so there will be no harm done.
Poppy seeds in medicine
For medicinal purposes, poppy is used in the form of preparations, decoctions, tinctures. Of course, it is impossible to cure gout or gastritis by regularly consuming poppy seed buns. Special preparations are needed for the therapeutic effect. The pharmacological properties of the poppy are related to the alkaloids contained in it, first of all - morphine. It has a favorable effect on the central nervous system, reduces pain, acts as a sleeping aid for insomnia.
When the poppy is used, positive effects in many chronic diseases are noted.
Poppy seeds are characterized by beneficial properties that may be important for people suffering from diabetes. Poppy refers to such products that are easily digested in their raw form. The vitamins and trace elements contained in the poppy help to speed up the metabolism in the body. With diabetes, it is important to provide the optimum load on the work of internal organs. Therefore, the benefits of poppy seeds are obvious, just because the product is easy to digest and saturates the body with calcium, fats, proteins and other important elements. Diabetics often suffer from insomnia, and poppy seeds quickly cope with this problem.
Important: The glycemic index of poppy seeds is 35 units.
Poppy seeds have a positive effect on the digestive system and pancreas as well. Poppy seeds protect the pancreatic mucosa from harmful and dangerous microbes, strengthen the immune system. The possibility of using poppy seeds depends on the stage of the disease. In the exacerbation phase, patients are prescribed a very strict diet, in which the use of the product is excluded. Despite its analgesic property, poppy seeds are quite caloric and contain fat, which requires a large number of enzymes to digest.
In the acute form of gastritis, the consumption of products containing poppy seeds is strictly prohibited. The hard kernels can have an irritating effect on the walls of the stomach. Although if they are grinded into a pulp and mixed with honey, a small amount of the resulting mixture will help to relieve pain in the stomach, and the condition of the body will improve.
People who suffer from persistent constipation try to eat foods that have a colon-cleansing effect. Given the astringent properties of the seeds, it is not recommended to use them in case of constipation. This can make the problem worse. Medicinal infusions containing poppy seeds can be used for constipation.
In this disease, salts accumulate in the joints, which causes severe pain in a person. With such a diagnosis, it is important to eat right and exclude foods that will provoke a deterioration in health. Poppy seeds when used in small quantities can reduce painful sensations, as well as have a soothing effect on a person's condition.
Recipes of folk medicine based on the poppy plant
In folk medicine, all parts of the plant are used. On the basis of leaves, seeds and flowers make various decoctions and infusions. Healing properties of the poppy allow you to use it to treat many ailments.
Extracts and infusions based on poppy seeds are used to get rid of headaches and toothaches, in nervous disorders and insomnia, as well as to prevent the appearance of tumors.
An infusion of poppy seeds is easy enough to prepare. Take 5-10 grams of poppy seeds and pour 1 glass of boiled water. The decoction should infuse for some time. In one step you should drink half a glass, adding sugar or honey to the infusion. It is not necessary to strain the finished decoction, it is allowed to consume it directly with the seeds. It is best to drink the decoction in the evening before going to bed.
Infusion of poppy leaves will help with nervous and physical exhaustion, hypertension and colds. It is prepared as follows: Pour a glass of boiling water over one tablespoon of poppy leaves and let it infuse. It is recommended to use with honey or sugar.
Poppy seeds in the form of infusion are excellent to get rid of an acute form of hemorrhoids. For preparation, you need to take 1 tsp. poppy seeds and pour a glass of boiling water. Allow the broth to infuse for 1-2 hours. Infusion should be drunk during the day for 3 times.
Poppy seed use in cosmetology
Poppy seeds are used in many areas. Cosmetology is also not without this useful product. Poppy seeds are used to produce a versatile and useful essential oil, which is made by pressing the seeds. The rich composition of the cosmetic product has an invaluable effect on the skin and hair. The oil contains such important elements: oleic, linoleic, stearic and palmitic acids, vitamin E, morphine, codeine and papaverine.
Poppy milk is also used for cosmetic problems. With its help wounds and cuts heal quickly. Poppy milk lotions will help to get rid of puffiness and circles under the eyes.
Poppy seed oil: benefits and uses
An excellent remedy used in cosmetology is the essential poppy seed oil. It is made by cold pressing poppy seeds. With this method in the oil are preserved all the nutritional and useful properties.
- The product is widely used as a base product for massage. The soothing properties of the oil help you to fully relax, relieve fatigue and general body stress.
- Poppy seed oil is considered an excellent tool for nourishing the skin. The epithelium receives the necessary micro-nutrients and vitamins, as well as being saturated with moisture. The skin after rubbing with oil becomes elastic and firm, its protective functions are increased.
- Regular use of the oil will strengthen the hair, restore it after damage, as well as increase the strength of the nails.
- If you apply the oil to small wounds or skin injuries, the healing will happen much faster.
The benefits of milk of the poppy seed
This healing product has been known since ancient times. This milk has more benefits than the usual cow's milk. To make poppy milk, it is better to use unripe seeds before they dry out. During this period, the grains are concentrated in the highest content of useful trace elements and vitamins. Healing product has the following properties:
- Is an excellent cough remedy for bronchitis.
- Helps to get rid of skin rashes, if the affected areas to treat externally.
- Normalizes digestion, helps get rid of diarrhea, upset stomach.
- It has antiparasitic properties.
- It helps to normalize the function of the nervous system with regular use. Active children are recommended to give such milk before bedtime, it has a beneficial effect on the nervous system.
How to make
To prepare poppy milk is quite simple. The finished product is not subject to long-term storage, so you do not need to make a lot at once.
- It is recommended to pre-soak the poppy seeds in water, preferably overnight. In this way, all the harmful toxins that may have accumulated due to the negative effects of the environment will come out of the kernels.
- Take 50 grams of poppy seeds and a few seedless dates per 1 glass of water, you can use honey or sugar.
- After soaking, strain the seeds and then grind with a coffee grinder or blender.
- After that, mix the crushed poppy seeds with water and dates and grind again with a blender. The device should run until the mixture is white.
Poppy seeds in cooking
Everyone without exception knows about the use of poppy seeds in cooking. Everyone at least once in his life had to try baking with poppy seeds. Useful seeds are added to halva, kefir and yogurt, which improves their taste and nutritional value.
In many countries poppy seeds are even added to second courses. In our country poppy seeds are used in confectionary production, when preparing sauces or mushroom dishes.
Harm and contraindications
Poppy seeds have a lot of advantages, but along with the benefits for the body, poppy seeds can cause harm, and for some categories of people it is generally contraindicated:
- The elderly and children under 3 years of age.
- People who abuse alcoholic beverages.
- Patients with liver disease, suffering from asthma and pulmonary emphysema.
When using poppy seeds, remember not to exceed the amount of the product. If the dosage is exceeded, the body can become highly addictive because of the narcotic components contained in the poppy.
How to choose and store the food poppy
When buying poppies, you need to pay attention to the packaging: it should not be transparent. Be sure to feel the product. Inside there should be no compactions or lumps. The consistency should be crumbly.
The poppy should be stored in a well-ventilated and dark room. Kernels should be thoroughly dried. Grind the grains just before use. It is best to put them in an airtight container. When storing the poppy seeds should not get into the moisture, otherwise the grains can get moldy and begin to rot.
Interesting facts about poppies
There are many different interesting stories and facts associated with the poppy. In ancient times, it was the beautiful flowers that attracted scientists to further study the properties of this attractive plant. The poppy crop is considered one of the oldest spices. The history of the plant's origin dates back to the Neolithic era. Scientists believe that the herbaceous plant originated in the Mediterranean.
- In ancient Egypt, poppy was first used as a painkiller. Its inhabitants called it a sleeping potion. They began to grow it in large quantities, but they soon noticed that uncontrolled eating of poppies could cause harm.
- The Frankish King Charlemagne believed so strongly in the miraculous powers of the plant that he made all peasants grow poppies in their gardens.
- The Slavic population ascribed magical properties to poppy seeds. People believed that poppies could save from evil spirits. Therefore, many rituals with the use of this plant remained from that time.
- The Chinese, on the contrary, associate poppies with bad beliefs. This is because of the fact that they learned to make a narcotic drug out of the plant.
- In ancient Greece, poppies were dedicated to the gods Morpheus and Hypnos. All ancient drawings show poppy wreaths and bouquets on the heads of the gods. Legend has it that if Morpheus touches a man with a poppy flower, he will immediately fall asleep.
- The poppy has been grown for thousands of years to make potent narcotic drugs. Opium is obtained from the immature capsules where the seeds are stored. The substances morphine and codeine are then extracted and later used to make painkillers.
- There is an interesting tradition in Germany, when the newlyweds at their wedding put poppies in their shoes. This is done to ensure that the new family will have many children.
- In the Himalayas, there is a special variety of blue. It has bright blue corollas and yellow stamens and pistils. This wonderful plant blooms for only three weeks.
The useful properties of the poppy have been studied for a long time. With the help of this amazing culture you can improve your health, get rid of nervous disorders, improve the function of the digestion, liver and stomach. But when using it, you should always know the measure, observe the dosage.
«Important: All information on this site is provided solely for informational purposes. Consult with a specialist before using any recommendations. specialist before using any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."