Soya oil: composition, useful properties and uses
Soybean oil is a valuable product for humans, although it is not very common in Russia today. It contains a large amount of useful fats, vitamins, antioxidants, lecithin and phytohormones. It is produced for food, industrial and agricultural purposes. This type ranks first in terms of volume produced among all types of vegetable oils.
- General Description
- Composition and calories
- Useful properties of soybean oil
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- In Pregnancy
- For children
- For weight loss
- Soya oil in medicine
- Varicose veins
- For constipation
- For diabetes
- Soya oil in cosmetology
- For Face
- For Hair
- Cooking Applications
- Can I Fry on Soya Oil?
- Hazards and Contraindications
- How to Choose and Store
- Interesting facts about soybeans
Soya oil was first produced as early as 3000 BC. This product was first discovered by the Chinese as evidenced by ancient writings found by archeologists. In ancient China, soy was the staple food, and it is also popular among today's Chinese people. In Europe, soybeans began to be cultivated at the end of the 19th century, although the amount of production of this plant today is quite high.
Natural quality soybean oil is extracted by cold pressing. Such a product has a brownish hue, rich flavor and aroma similar to that of walnut. Refined oil loses not only its useful substances, but also its gustatory properties. It is almost odorless, tasteless and colorless and often has a pinkish or greenish hue.
Soya bean oil is widely used in cooking in different countries, it is also part of some folk medicine recipes, used to create cosmetics and industrial production. Because of its versatility, this natural product is added to a wide variety of dishes, from meat to desserts and baked goods.
Composition and calories
Soybean oil has a rich vitamin and mineral composition. It contains large amounts of vitamin E, C, as well as calcium, magnesium, sodium, phosphorus, oleic, linoleic and palmitic acids. This has made soybean oil one of the most valuable products for humans. However, it is quite caloric - 886 kcal per 100 g.
Useful properties of soybean oil
Soybean oil has a number of beneficial properties for the body:
- Can reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes, favorably affecting the cardiovascular system.
- Lowers the level of harmful cholesterol in the blood.
- It is used in diseases of the kidneys, liver, atherosclerosis and even cancer.
- Has a positive effect on potency and the formation of seminal fluid.
- Helps organize the digestive processes.
- Improves immunity and resistance to colds.
- Activates the metabolism, thus promoting weight loss.
- Helps to organize the digestive processes.
- Replenishes vitamins A, C, P, as well as some micronutrients and essential fatty acids.
Women's body to a greater extent than men's needs a constant supply of healthy fats. In this respect, soybean oil is one of the best products. It should be consumed by women who have irregular cycles, hormonal malfunctions and complicated premenstrual syndrome. Soya oil is also useful during pregnancy planning because it makes up for the lack of essential vitamins and minerals in the body.
Soya oil should be included in women's diets in order to prolong their own youth and beauty. Due to its high vitamin E content, this product reduces visible wrinkles, makes hair healthier and shinier and nails stronger. It is also known that soybean oil is able to prevent cancer in women, but in this case it is important to use only high-quality unrefined product with cold extraction.
Soya oil is very useful for men. In addition to the fact that it replenishes vitamins and other nutrients in the body, this kind of vegetable oil has a beneficial effect on the prostate gland, as well as increasing potency, improving the quality of sperm and reduces the risk of prostate cancer. Soya oil also has a positive effect on the hormonal system, regulating the production of male hormones.
As soybean oil like other types of fat is a high-energy food, it is recommended for men who have to work hard both physically and mentally as well as for sportsmen and those who strive to gain weight.
Almost all types of vegetable oils can be consumed by pregnant women. They contain many minerals and vitamins that are necessary for the body of the future mother and the developing fetus. It is also preferable for pregnant women to use vegetable rather than animal fats, because they are better absorbed by the body without burdening the liver and gastrointestinal organs. Of all kinds of vegetable oils soybean oil has the highest degree of usefulness.
There is no need to be afraid of the high caloric content of soybean oil, because the daily dose of this product is only 1-2 tbsp. that is no more than 300 kcal. But along with these calories, the mother's body will get a lot of very useful substances - unsaturated fatty acids, phospholipids, essential oils, vitamins and others.
Regular use of this natural product contributes to the proper development of the cardiovascular, nervous and circulatory system of the baby, and also has a positive effect on the formation of the brain and bone tissues.
Soy products, including soybean oil, are of high value to nursing mothers and babies. Despite the fact that soy is not as widely consumed in Russia as in Western countries, soybean oil can be found in many grocery stores.
Soybean oil contains essential fatty acids, vitamins E, P, C and trace elements (magnesium, iron, calcium, sodium, phosphorus), which are important for the body of the woman breastfeeding and for the baby.
Of course, before including soy products in her menu, a breastfeeding mother should make sure that she is not allergic to them. To do this, you can try a few drops of soybean oil in the morning and watch the reaction during the day. If there are no digestive problems, rashes or other negative symptoms in the mother and baby, you can increase the dose to 1-2 tsp per day.
Soy, as well as the products made from it, including oil, are very good for children's bodies. Sometimes parents are afraid to include this product in their children's diet, as they believe that all soy is genetically modified. Of course, most of the soy grown in the world is indeed a GMO, but according to Russian legislation, genetically modified varieties, as well as the products made from them, are prohibited for sale. The main thing is to buy a really high-quality product that has proven itself on the market in a positive way.
Soybean oil can be introduced into a child's diet at the age of 1 year at the earliest. The product can be added to porridge, vegetable puree or other dishes, starting with a few drops and gradually increasing to the norm - 1-2 tsp per day.
Soybean oil has the following positive properties for children's bodies:
- Increases immunity, resistance to colds and viral diseases;
- removes toxins from the body;
- stabilizes the nervous system;
- Increases the efficiency of the brain;
- regulates the gastrointestinal tract.
Only unrefined oil should be included in children's menus, as well as non-heat-treated oil, because in this case it will retain all the useful substances. It is important to consider individual intolerance and side effects of the product. If any such have arisen - you should immediately stop taking it.
When losing weight
The basis of successful weight loss is the correct ratio of protein, fats and carbohydrates, as well as the caloric content of the diet, calculated on the basis of height, weight, age and physical exertion. These are simple truths that are important to know and follow. Not only low-calorie vegetables, fruits, chicken breast and fat-free cottage cheese, but also foods that contain healthy fats and vitamins, such as soybean oil, should be included in a weight-loss menu.
Since all vegetable oils are quite caloric, they should be added in small amounts. 10-30 grams of soybean oil a day while dieting is enough to make up for the lack of healthy fats and vitamins in the body, as well as to maintain proper functioning of the hormonal system, which is especially important for women who plan to become pregnant in the future.
When losing weight, you can add a little soybean oil to salads, porridges and other dishes. However, you should choose unrefined oil, because it contains the maximum of useful substances. You should also remember that unrefined oils are not subject to heat treatment, so they should be consumed fresh.
Soya oil in medicine
Soybean oil, thanks to a wide list of useful properties, is used as part of medicines, as well as in recipes of folk medicine. It has the following effects:
- increases metabolism;
- removes toxins and impurities from the body;
- stabilizes the nervous system;
- lowers blood sugar and harmful cholesterol;
- strengthens the immune system;
- Improves brain function;
- regulates the activity of the gastrointestinal tract.
All these properties are characteristic only of unrefined soybean oil, so only such varieties should be used in folk medicine recipes.
A variety of vegetable oils are used to treat varicose veins, including soybean oil. The most effective way to use oil for varicose veins is to apply compresses. This requires 1-2 tbsp. unrefined soybean oil and 3 crushed garlic cloves. The ingredients are mixed, applied to the sore spot and bandaged. Keep such a compress as long as possible, in warmth. Repeat the procedure every day for a week, then take a break for 2-3 weeks and run the course again.
In the presence of such an unpleasant condition as constipation, you can use a folk medicine recipe based on the use of soybean oil. As a rule, the elimination of constipation can be expected as early as 5-6 hours after consuming the oil, but it is important to carry out the medical procedure correctly.
In order to get rid of constipation, it is necessary to drink 1 tbsp of soybean oil on an empty stomach, you can have breakfast half an hour after the procedure. Due to its mild laxative effect, the oil will eliminate constipation, as well as saturate the body with many useful substances. You can use soybean oil for this purpose on a regular basis, it will not do any harm. Of course, it is necessary to take into account the peculiarities of your health, as well as the presence or absence of individual intolerance to the components of soybean oil.
Diabetics are allowed to consume soybean oil, it should be included in the diet at a rate of 0.9 g per 1 kg of weight. In such an amount the oil is not only safe but also useful. It has the ability to reduce blood sugar levels, which is explained by the absence of saccharides and starches in its composition. Regular use of this product in diabetes mellitus can reduce the symptoms of the disease, as well as improve the patient's overall well-being.
Soya oil in cosmetology
Many women complain about dry skin, split ends and hair loss. You can get rid of these problems by using vegetable oils. Soya oil is widely used in making home masks for hair and skin. It does no harm if you follow the recommendations for its use. Consider the most effective skin and hair masks using soybean oil.
For the face
- Lifting mask: grate half an apple and a potato on a fine grater, mix the resulting mass with 1 tsp of soybean oil and apply to the skin on the face. Hold the mask for 20 minutes, then wash off with warm water. The ingredients help to clean the skin from keratinized cells, as well as achieve a rejuvenating and tightening effect.
- Get rid of acne and other rashes will help a mask of soy, almond, coconut oil (5 drops each) and liquid honey (1 tsp.). Mix all ingredients, apply to face and leave on for 20 minutes, then rinse off.
- Soybean oil can improve the effect of makeup removers. To do this, add a few drops to a cleansing milk and shake. The oil will provide better removal of decorative cosmetics, as well as soften and moisturize the skin.
- A mask for sensitive skin includes soy and olive oil (in equal proportions) and a small amount of chamomile concentrate (a few drops). The composition should be applied to the face and then just rinse off with warm water after 20-30 minutes.
- Nourishing care home mask for the face: no more than 1 tsp of soybean oil mixed with the same amount of fatty sour cream and honey. Thoroughly stir the components, apply to clean skin, leave for 15-20 minutes, wash off with warm water.
- Mask for brittle and dry hair: 40 ml of soybean oil, add the same amount of castor oil, 3 drops of frankincense essence and mix thoroughly. Heat the resulting mixture in a water bath until warm, but not hot, apply to the hair along the entire length, wrap with polythene and a towel. Hold the mask for at least 30 minutes, maybe 2 hours, then wash your hair in the usual way.
- Restorative mask consists of 15 ml of soybean oil, 30 ml of burdock oil, 5 ml of lemon juice. All ingredients should be combined, apply to the hair from root to tip, hold for an hour and wash off. Such a mask helps to strengthen the hair, neutralizing the effect of such harmful factors as the use of a hair dryer, curling irons, prolonged exposure to the sun, etc.
- Night nourishing hair mask consists of only two ingredients - soy and avocado oils. The amount of oil depends on the length and thickness of the hair, but both of them should be taken in equal proportions. Oil mask should be heated in a water bath until warm, which improves penetration of useful substances into the scales of hair. Apply the mask to the roots with massaging movements, as well as to the hair along the entire length, paying special attention to the ends. After a few treatments the effect of using this mask will be visible to the naked eye - the problem of split ends will be eliminated, and the hair itself will be healthier and shinier.
- Mask with soybean oil (1 tbsp.) and egg yolk (1-2 pcs.) is easy to use. Combine the specified number of ingredients, apply to the entire length of the hair, wrap with a terry towel and leave for an hour. Then wash your hair as usual. This mask promotes fast hair growth and prevents hair loss.
- Mask "laminating". To make it you will need the following ingredients: 1 tbsp. gelatin, 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp. soybean oil. All ingredients should be mixed, gelatin should be dissolved according to the instructions on the package. The resulting composition to apply to the hair, which then wrap in cling film and wrap with a terry towel. Keep the mask for 30-40 minutes, then wash your hair thoroughly. After the first use, hair will become silky, shiny and manageable.
Both refined and unrefined soybean oils are used in cooking. It is used on an industrial scale as a preservative in the processing of various products, as well as for the production of solid vegetable fats such as margarines and spreads.
For food purposes it is better to use unrefined soybean oil as it contains many useful substances, which cannot be said about refined oil. Soya oil combines well with vegetables, so it can be used in various salads or added to morning porridge, which will make it more nutritious, healthy and tasty.
Refined oil can be used not only in its raw form, but also subjected to heat treatment. So, it can be used to fry fish and meat, add it to baked goods and make home cakes with it. Soybean oil adds new flavors to familiar dishes and can give them a new twist.
Can you fry in soybean oil?
There is a myth that you can't fry in soybean oil because during cooking it releases carcinogens and its beneficial properties disappear. However, this only applies to the unrefined product, and as for the purified refined product, it can be used to fry any food, including meat, fish, vegetables, etc.
Harms and contraindications
There are a lot of myths around soybean oil, because of which many people are afraid to include this product in their diet. In fact, soybean oil, approved for sale in Russia, is completely safe for humans and can be used for culinary, cosmetic and medicinal purposes. The most common myth that all soy is genetically modified has long been debunked. Of course, most of it does contain GMOs, but in Russia genetically modified soybean oil is banned from sale, so it remains to choose a proven and reliable brand.
Soya, as well as products made from it, is forbidden for people with individual intolerance to the components of this plant. Indeed, an allergy to soy occurs, but rarely enough. That is why soybean oil can and should be included in menus of those who are not allergic to this product.
Soya oil should be used in moderation, as well as any other products. It has a rather high caloric value, and that is why it can lead to weight gain. But even people who want to lose weight can consume soybean oil, while observing a reasonable measure. One spoonful of oil in porridge and another in a salad is an acceptable norm, which not only will not harm health, but also will replenish the reserves of useful substances in the body.
How to choose and store
Today's grocery stores offer a wide variety of vegetable oils. It is not uncommon to find soybean oil. Since for Russians this product is not very familiar and widespread, many may have difficulties with its choice. In order not to make a mistake when buying soybean oil, it is necessary to take into account some characteristics of a quality product.
Real unrefined oil, as a rule, has a brownish hue, the bottle should be free of sediment and other impurities. The oil is better to choose in glass containers, so it is better stored and retains its flavor. Refined soybean oil is usually greenish in color, but more transparent than unrefined.
Like all other foods, soybean oil requires certain storage conditions. The shelf life will depend on the variety as well as the method of production. For example, opened soybean oil can be stored in the refrigerator for no more than 3-5 months, and if the package has not been opened, these terms increase to 1-1.5 years. You can use not only the refrigerator, but almost any room as well.
The oil must be kept in a darkened glass container, and it is also important to observe the following conditions:
- The room must be dry;
- A place must be chosen where it will not be exposed to direct sunlight;
- soybean oil does not like extreme temperature changes;
- the product should not be frozen.
If the above conditions are observed, soybean oil will retain all of its useful substances as well as its taste. But if you violate the requirements for storage conditions, it can go bad - become bitter and covered with mold.
Interesting facts about soybeans
- Soybeans are universal. It is used worldwide in the food industry as an additive to meat, bakery, dairy and other products. Soy can be used to make almost any product that is difficult to distinguish from the original by adding the appropriate flavorings, colorings and substances to give the desired consistency.
- Soy protein is the most digestible, which is not the case with other plant-based protein products. In this respect soy competes even with meat and fish.
- Soy beans contain almost all elements important for the body: potassium, calcium, iodine, phosphorus, magnesium, copper and silicon.
- Sprouted soy beans contain large amounts of so-called oligosaccharides - special dietary fibers that are difficult for the body to digest. This is why sprouted soybeans can cause flatulence and abdominal pain.
- The most popular product made from soy is soy sauce.
- Soy can prevent the development of cancer in women - this fact was confirmed by scientists of the Fred Hutchins Cancer Research Center.
- Soybeans were first cultivated about 5-7 thousand years ago.
- In Europe, soybeans began to be cultivated on an industrial scale only at the end of the 19th century.
- To prepare juicy soy steaks, it is necessary to soak them in vegetable broth with the addition of spices, and then fry them with the addition of oil over a high heat.
- A common product in Russia is "soy sprouts," but it is not soy that is often sold under this name, but mung bean sprouts.
- Every year 300 million tons of soybeans are grown worldwide, a third of which is grown in the U.S. and Brazil.
- China leads the world in soybean cultivation.
- Soybeans are used as animal feed in many countries.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only. For informational purposes only. Before applying any recommendations, consult a health care professional. specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."