Dried cranberries: useful properties and contraindications
The berry is quite common in our country. Gather it in the fall - in September or November. Cranberry is a natural antioxidant, with its help you can get rid of a number of colds, strengthen the body's defenses. The dried berry is in no way inferior to the fresh one in its medicinal properties.
- Composition and calories
- What is the usefulness of dried cranberries
- General benefits
- For Women
- For men
- For Pregnancy
- For breastfeeding
- For children
- Dried cranberries in medicine
- Harm and contraindications
- How to Dry Cranberries at Home
- How to store dried cranberries
- What can be made from dried cranberries: Recipes
- Cranberry morsse
- Salad with dried cranberries
- Interesting facts about dried cranberries
Composition and calories
Dried sour berry contains a lot of useful and valuable microelements for the body. The caloric value of dried berries is many times higher than that of fresh ones. There are 308 kcal per 100 grams of the product.
Dried cranberries contain fiber, saturated fatty acids, disaccharides and monosaccharides, vitamins B group, PP, C, E, K and mineral elements: calcium, manganese, copper, phosphorus, sodium, zinc, selenium and iron. From the preservatives there is only sugar - a natural product, the content of which is 65%.
The berry contains such important elements:
- Flavonoids. They are simply necessary for the body to normalize the work of the blood vessels. Proper blood circulation prevents the development of atherosclerosis of the brain.
- Pectins. They are needed to remove harmful toxins from the body. Together with the purification is the normalization of the intestines.
- Tannins. With the intake of the right amount of tannins in the body, the human immune system strengthens, reduces the risk of respiratory infections, especially this is relevant in the off-season.
- Triterpenoids. Organic substances have an anti-inflammatory effect on the human body. Due to their content, dried berries are used to relieve inflammation in various organs.
What are the benefits of dried cranberries
Valuable dried fruits are an excellent remedy against premature aging of the body. With their help, you can cure cystitis, even in its chronic form. Decoctions of dried cranberries quickly relieve the symptoms of colds, help with kidney disease. Cranberries used to be the main medicine in the fight against scurvy.
Among the important therapeutic effects on the body are the following:
- Strengthening the body's defenses.
- A beneficial effect on physical performance and mental activity.
- Normalization of water-salt balance in the body and blood pressure.
- Slow development of pathogenic microflora.
- Activation of the normal functioning of the digestive system, kidneys and liver.
- Purification of the cells. As a natural antioxidant, cranberry cleanses the cells from free radicals, which prevents aging.
- A beneficial effect on the nervous system. Gets rid of anxiety and irritability, normalizes healthy sleep.
- Positive effect on the function of the genitourinary system.
Dried cranberries are an indispensable product that is included in programs for getting rid of excess weight. Cranberries help to cleanse the intestines, remove excess water from the body and cope with edema.
Dried cranberries are equally useful for both men and women. On the female body dried berry has the following effects:
- eliminates avitominosis and strengthens the immune system;
- speeds up the metabolism in digestion;
- Treats rheumatism and joint diseases;
- beneficial effects on the heart and nervous system.
In addition, women's beauty directly depends on the diet. Dried cranberries help to become younger. With the regular use of dried fruits, hair becomes healthy and strong, nail plates stop splitting, and the skin becomes elastic and firm.
A woman's body needs constant care. It is important not only to saturate it with healthy minerals and vitamins, but also to monitor the condition of the skin, hair and nails. Natural herbal products have beneficial effects on the skin. Cranberry enriches the epithelium with necessary substances.
The benefits for the male body are enormous. The presence in the composition of a large number of active substances can eliminate many serious disorders in the body. Thanks to dried cranberries strengthens the immune system, the hormonal background is normalized. With regular use of the product improves the nervous system, normalizes the hemoglobin in the blood.
The use of remedies on the basis of this valuable berry is able to normalize sexual functions and cure prostatitis. Especially useful are drinks from dried cranberries in the winter. At this time, cranberries can act as a preventive and remedy for colds.
Experts have long revealed the ability of cranberries to have a positive effect on cancer. Useful substances contained in the product prevent the growth of cancer cells and stop the development of a deadly disease.
Women in the period of expectation of a child should pay special attention to their daily diet. The red berry enjoys special attention of pregnant women. Women in an interesting position should eat dried cranberries by all means. It is rich in microelements and vitamins, so necessary for the full development of the child. Also, a woman's body will receive additional strength to withstand colds.
Dried cranberries can help to get rid of or alleviate the disease. If a pregnant woman suffers from toxemia and edema, dried cranberries will help to get rid of symptoms in a short time. Women are advised to drink beverages made from cranberries, if the water-salt balance in the body is disturbed. The berry will help with cystitis and pyelonephritis. It can be used at any stage of pregnancy.
After delivery, dried cranberries are not recommended to eat immediately. You should wait about 2-3 months. Like any berry, cranberries can cause an allergic reaction in a small child. Therefore, when breastfeeding women should reduce the use of dried cranberries to a minimum. A day you can eat no more than 4-5 dried berries. They can be consumed as an independent product and added to various dishes, salads and baked goods.
Cranberries tend to thin the blood, so they should not be used together with medications. Before using it, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
Children's bodies especially need a regular intake of vitamins and minerals. Dried cranberries have a positive effect on the child's body. Appetite increases, the body's resistance to various viral and infectious diseases increases. If you systematically use dried cranberries, you can get rid of a dry and persistent cough. For children as a preventive measure against colds, a special remedy based on cranberry and bee honey is used. Useful and tasty remedy saves the child from the first symptoms of illness, perfectly combats the occurrence of constipation, saturates the body with essential vitamins.
Children can be given dried cranberries in any form. It is added in the preparation of healthy and tonic drinks, in salads, porridges and desserts. Small children under 3 years should be given only no-concentrated beverages based on dried cranberries.
Dried cranberries in medicine
The medicinal and nutritive properties of the berry have long been recognized in traditional medicine. Since ancient times, the unique berry has been used to fight colds, sore throat and scurvy. Consumption of the raw berry can help get rid of hemorrhoids and varicose veins. The amino acids in dried cranberries keep the blood vessels normal. The walls of blood vessels become stronger and more elastic. Irreplaceable useful properties of cranberries for people suffering from cancer.
Infusion of cranberries is an excellent remedy for kidney stones. If you wipe your face in the morning with a cube of frozen cranberry juice, your skin will always look young and fresh. Cranberry compresses will help get rid of headache attacks. Ointments made on the basis of the berry help to heal wounds and burns more quickly.
If you regularly use decoctions and infusions of dried cranberries, purify the intestines, the body is freed from toxins and cholesterol, which will have a positive effect on blood pressure and heart function.
Harms and contraindications
Dried cranberries can not be consumed by everyone without exception. The berry can cause harm to people who are prone to allergic reactions. Therefore, if you have never tried cranberries, you should start with a few berries to look at the reaction of the body.
- It is not recommended to give small children the cranberries and cranberry juice. Pregnant and nursing women should use dried fruits in limited quantities.
- People who suffer from hyperacidity of gastric juice should not use cranberries. It is forbidden to eat it for patients with gastritis and ulcers. The acids that are part of the cranberry can irritate the already weak walls of the stomach, causing pain. If you grind the berries with sugar, the negative effect on the stomach will be somewhat mitigated. But you should not overeat them.
- It is necessary to be careful for people with weakened tooth enamel. Cranberry acids negatively affect the condition of teeth, and this may lead to tooth decay.
It is not necessary to drink cranberry juice pure, but it is necessary to dilute it with water and add sugar or honey to taste. After consuming the product, it is advisable to rinse your mouth with clean water to prevent the acids from starting their destructive effect.
How to dry cranberries at home
Drying cranberries is one of the best ways to preserve all the vitamins and minerals of the northern berry. You can harvest them from autumn to mid-winter.
Before you start the drying process, you need to prepare the berries. Cranberries need to be sorted and well washed. To do this, it should be placed in a deep bowl and pour cool water. After rinsing the berries well from the soil and debris, they should be placed in another dish with the help of a slurp. It is too early to start the drying process. First the berries should be boiled for one minute. Here it is important not to overcook them, or they will boil. The berries, by the way, should be ripe, dense and without visible damage.
To dry cranberries you can use a natural method or one of the household methods. The natural drying of berries is the best choice. Cranberries should be sprinkled in a thin layer on a baking tray or tray and placed in a cool, well-ventilated place. The berries should be stirred regularly, so that they dry evenly. In this way, the cranberries are dried for several days.
To dry the useful berries it is quite possible to use an electric dryer, a microwave oven or an oven. In the oven you can dry cranberries in about 7-9 hours. The temperature should not be higher than 40-45 degrees, otherwise the useful berry may burn. As soon as it is all wrinkled, the temperature can be increased to 70 degrees. During the drying process, you should constantly stir the cranberries and remove the already dry berries. It is necessary to make sure that the finished product dried well, only in this case, its long storage without loss of valuable and useful properties is guaranteed.
How to store dried cranberries
Storage of dried cranberries has no particular difficulties. If the berry is dried correctly, then it can safely be stored for about a year. If the cranberries are not dried, then over time, the berries will begin to get moldy and deteriorate.
Dried berries are best placed in glass or plastic containers. The lids of containers should be tightly closed. Put the berries in a darkened dry room, it is important to exclude any contact of the finished product with moisture. If there is high humidity in the pantry or in the room, the product will rather quickly begin to dry out and spoil.
What can be made from dried cranberries: recipes
The most useful berry is suitable for use as an independent product, but it is also often used as a component in many dishes and drinks. From it make delicious drinks and morsels, combining in them different fruits, berries and vegetables. Cranberries are added to various pastries, in second courses, in vegetable salads. The benefits of the berry knows no bounds, so the healing product is popular. Most often people prefer drinks on the basis of dried cranberries.
To prepare a morsel, the berries should be soaked in water beforehand, so that they soften. Then they should be well kneaded in a deep dish. The juice that will stand out should be squeezed through a layer of gauze into a separate container. Put the squeeze in a saucepan, pour water and put on the fire. After the contents of the pot boils for 3-5 minutes, you need to strain it. Pour cranberry juice in the resulting decoction, add sugar or honey to taste. After complete cooling of the morsel ready for use.
Useful drink can be prepared in several ways. It is recommended to add other berries, this will give the compote a slightly different taste. The drink is very simple to make. It is necessary to take dried cranberries and place them in a prepared container, pour water there and put on the stove for boiling. Add sugar to taste. If you like sweeter drinks, then you need to put more sugar. After everything comes to a boil, simmer the compote for a few minutes and remove from the fire. The berries can be left as part of the drink or taken out and consumed separately.
Salad with dried cranberries
Valuable and delicious berries will make any dish unique. You can prepare a great many salads with cranberries. The qualities of the berry will not only improve the taste of the finished dish, but also make the appearance of the salad more interesting.
Salad recipe with apples, pine nuts and cranberries
To prepare the salad you will need the following products:
- pine nuts;
- dried cranberries;
- hard cheese or melted cheese;
- olive oil;
- table salt;
- mustard and ground pepper.
Dried cranberries should be well washed. Honey is better to choose a natural, liquid consistency. If the honey is only thickened, you can melt it in a water bath. For dressing you need to mix pepper, mustard, honey, salt and olive oil, cut the apples into thin slices and dice the cheese. Put spinach leaves on a dish or in a salad bowl, put apples, cheese, cranberries and pine nuts on top. Pour it all in honey dressing.
Recipe for cranberry, cabbage and apple salad
For this nutritious vitamin salad you will need the following components:
- white cabbage - 400 grams;
- Sweet apple - 1 pc;
- dried cranberries - 100 grams;
- Onion - 1 pc;
- Green onion - 1 bundle;
- Carrot - 1 pc:
For the dressing we need to take the following products:
- Sour cream - 4 tbsp;
- Mayonnaise - 2 tablespoons;
- Honey - 2 tablespoons;
- pepper, salt and vinegar - to taste.
First you need to prepare the dressing. To do this, mix the prepared components in a separate deep bowl. Now you can proceed to cutting the vegetables. The cabbage should be cut in fine julienne, the shallower, the better. Apples can be cut in any way, just at the very end, so they do not darken. Grate carrots on a coarse grater, chop onions in any convenient way. Place all the prepared vegetables in a deep salad bowl, add a handful of cranberries to them, and top with the dressing. After the salad is well mixed, you can taste the culinary masterpiece.
Interesting facts about cranberries
- The name cranberry translates from the Latin as "sour berry," which is fully consistent with the true description of the berry of the north.
- About 200-300 useful berries can be harvested annually from one small compact shrub.
- Not only cranberries are used for consumption, but also the leaves. They are added to tea and various medicinal infusions and decoctions.
- In Canada and America, locals grow large cranberries, which do not sink in water at all, as the fruit has air chambers. It is one of the few berries with this unique ability. Before we start collecting cranberries, the fields are specially flooded with water, so that we can quickly and comfortably collect the berries with a special technique.
- Cranberry fruit is composed of almost 90 percent water.
- Some cranberry bushes can live about a hundred years, they do not grow more than 30 cm, but there are specimens up to 50 cm in height.
- In America, the Indians made a special paste from cranberry fruit. It was made to prolong the shelf life of dried meat.
- If you put fresh berries in wooden barrels with water, they can stay there until the next harvest and will not spoil at all.
- Cranberry juice can help get rid of infections in the urinary tract. The berry does not allow intestinal bacteria to linger on the walls of the bladder, and promotes their removal from the body with urine.
- The ripe cranberry tends to bounce if it falls on a hard surface.
The northern useful berry is not to everyone's taste, but unequivocally all people recognize its medicinal properties. It can be eaten raw as a standalone product, frozen for the winter, dried for future use, as well as added to various dishes. Cranberries are suitable for hot meat dishes as well as for sweet desserts.
Cranberries are a real treasure trove of vitamins. With regular use of the useful berry strengthens the immune system, passes nervous irritation, normalizes the work of the heart and digestive system. You will not be afraid of colds and sore throats. If you follow the dosage, you can completely cure the body of many diseases.
«Important: All information on this site is provided solely for informational purposes. Consult with a health care professional before using any recommendations. specialist before applying any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."