Dried apples: composition, useful properties and contraindications.
Fruits are incredibly useful, and a special place among them is occupied by apples. There is an English expression that if you eat at least one apple a day, then the doctor will be out of a job. It is noteworthy that the useful substances in the apple are not only in the pulp, but also in the peel and even the pips.
- Composition and calories
- What are the benefits of dried apples
- For Women
- For men
- When breastfeeding
- For children
- The benefits of dried apples for weight loss
- Dried Apples in Medicine
- Diabetes Mellitus
- For pancreatitis
- For Gastritis
- For Intestines
- For constipation
- With gout
- Hazards and contraindications
- How and where to store dried apples
- How to Dry Apples at Home
- Oven Drying
- In a microwave oven
- What apple varieties are suitable for drying?
- How much a kilo of dried apples can be made out of a kilo of fresh apples?
- What to make with dried apples
- Can I Give Dried Apples to Animals
- Interesting facts about apples
As for dried apples, unlike most fruits, the useful substances and vitamins are fully preserved in them, which is why dried apples are so popular. There are many ways to dry apples, and to prepare them begin in late summer. But about all this in order.
Composition and calories
Speaking of the content of useful substances in dried apples, separately we should mention insoluble fiber, which is a source of fiber. Only 1/3 of a cup contains its daily rate. Fiber in the body regulates the amount of cholesterol and sugar: if there is enough of it, you can safely forget about indigestion and constipation.
Also, many people simply do not know that the peel of apples contains a huge amount of antioxidants, which are preserved in the dried fruit. Another important feature is that, unlike other dried fruits, apples retain important vitamin C. This is an undeniable advantage.
"Nourishment" of dried fruit also distinguishes apples from all others: just one cup contains approximately 210-230 kcal, which is almost 3 times more than in one large fruit.
Energy value of the product:
- Protein - about 2 g.
- Fats - practically none (0.1 g).
- Carbohydrates - about 60 g.
- Useful constituents:
- Carotene and vitamins.
- Valuable minerals.
- Sugars of all kinds.
- Organic salts and minerals.
- Essential oils.
- Iron and phosphorus, which are essential for normal body function.
- Organic acids.
- Iron. This is an extremely important element for the human cardiovascular system. It is directly involved in hematopoiesis and oxygenates the blood.
- Potassium. Normal cooking salt contributes to the fact that this element is not retained in the body. And its deficiency can lead to serious consequences - cramps, dizziness and slow intestinal function. That's why it is so important. In addition, it has a beneficial effect on the nervous system.
- Copper. It helps the body and its systems function properly, and is involved in many processes such as hematopoiesis, enzyme production, and connective tissue.
- Manganese. This trace element is very important because it is involved in almost all processes of human organs and systems.
- Selenium. The influence of this trace element on the body was discovered relatively recently. It is worth noting that selenium itself is extremely poisonous, but in small doses it reduces the likelihood of cancer and is part of all anti-cancer drugs.
- Dried apples contain a wide range of B vitamins (B1, B2, B5, B6). They normalize the intestinal function and have a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system, improve skin health, improve mood and participate in cell growth. In addition, they help to cope with stress and depression.
- Vitamin K. It plays a crucial role in blood clotting.
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid). One of the most important vitamins for the body, the lack of which can cause very serious problems for the human body.
- Vitamin E. It is also called the "vitamin of women" because it gives beauty and health, rejuvenates the body and reduces the dryness of the skin.
What are the benefits of dried apples?
The consumption of apples is extremely useful because of the content of a large number of trace elements, fiber and vitamins. But for women this fruit is important in its own way, as it has a certain positive effect on their body:
- When dried apples are eaten regularly, the hair becomes soft and shiny, and the skin takes on a natural and ruddy color.
- Diets based on dried apples help to correct the figure, as the fruit burns excess fat.
- Apples in the form of dried fruit significantly slow down skin aging and smooth out wrinkles due to the presence of vitamin E in their composition.
- Dried fruits strengthen bone tissue and prevent the development of osteoporosis.
- In addition, they reduce the risk of uterine and breast cancer.
- Apples help women to tolerate stressful situations easier due to the presence of vitamin B.
If a woman consumes enough dried apples, her body will be saturated with all the necessary vitamins and minerals. This will help to be fully healthy and look young.
The benefits of eating dried apples for men are undeniable. For example, they increase endurance, which is very important for those whose work is connected with physical exertion or who spend a lot of time in the gym. Also, regular consumption reduces the risk of asthma and Alzheimer's disease. And the rejuvenating power of dried fruit is expressed in freshness and vigor.
It is no secret that the male body is more susceptible to the occurrence of various cardiovascular diseases than the female body. That's why doctors strongly recommend eating apples on a regular basis.
Dried apples, especially in the winter season, help to normalize the production of hormones in the male body and restore their balance. They also improve the potency.
Drawing conclusions from the above, we can safely say that consuming dried apples is highly recommended for all men, especially for those who closely monitor their health and weight. Apples will not only help to look vigorous and young, but also improve your mood and potency.
Dried apples contain a huge amount of iron, which makes them the number one product during pregnancy. They also do not cause allergic reactions, which is an additional advantage. They do not make pregnant women sick, so such dried fruit is considered almost an ideal option for snacking.
Fact! Few people know, but apples have pectin in the necessary amount, which removes toxins from the body, protecting the unborn child and his mother.
The benefits of eating dried apples is not just a conclusion based on the presence of useful substances, but a fact proven scientifically. So, in the course of observations it was found out that the children, whose mothers ate apples regularly, did not suffer from allergies and asthma in the future. The reason for this is the presence of antioxidants in the fruit, which are mainly contained in the peel.
Based on the above, we can conclude that dried apples are an ideal product for pregnant women, especially in winter.
It is especially important for moms when breastfeeding to watch their diet, because some foods have a direct impact on the health of the baby. Sometimes products can make breast milk allergenic, so you have to change your diet.
In the first six months, breast milk protects the baby, because with it he gets all the useful micronutrients. Dried apples contain important vitamins and minerals that are so necessary for the baby. For example, vitamin K strengthens the heart muscle, and iron keeps hemoglobin levels at the right level. Pectin removes toxins, and fiber prevents constipation. But the main advantage is the hypoallergenic nature of the product.
Dried apples are the most useful product for children. It is worth noting that by the end of winter there are no vitamins left in apples, while in dried fruit and jam their amount will be almost the same as in the just plucked fruit.
The apple is an excellent sorbent. Thanks to this there is a removal of toxins from the body, purification of the blood and lymph. If the baby has not yet begun to brush his teeth on his own, an apple can help. It will help clean the teeth and prevent the development of bacteria that cause tooth decay.
Speaking of benefits, you can't ignore the fact that apples don't cause allergies, so they can be introduced to the child's diet during the first complementary feeding. Useful substances and vitamins contained in dried apples will be better absorbed if they are combined with apricots, raisins, bananas and yogurt.
The benefits of dried apples for weight loss
Apples are a product that is often used to formulate diets for weight loss and figure correction. This is mainly due to the presence of a sufficient amount of fiber and pectin. In addition, when dried, the fruit loses only water, and the concentration of vitamins and useful substances increases many times.
Talking about dried apples as the main product in a strict diet, it is possible to meet completely opposite opinions. The product can hardly be classified as light and non-nutritive. It is more of a nutritional supplement that helps burn excess fat and saturate the body with important micronutrients and vitamins.
But studies have proved that eating as little as 12-20 g of dried apples a day in six months reduces cholesterol in the body by 1/4, and a person loses about 2 kg of weight.
Dried apples in medicine
In Diabetes Mellitus
Diabetes mellitus is an endocrine disorder that requires dietary adjustments. Diet will be a fundamental factor in the fight against the disease. Some people think in vain that they will have to give up treats, because dried fruit, including dried apples, can be an alternative to sweets.
As mentioned earlier, diabetes is an endocrine disorder. This means that it is more difficult for the body to break down and assimilate glucose. The diet for diabetes comes down to reducing the amount of carbohydrates and glucose. Dried fruit, on the other hand, contains complex carbohydrates, so the body digests them slowly and blood glucose levels do not rise dramatically, which makes dried apples a great product for those with diabetes.
Important: The glycemic index of dried apples is 35 units.
As with diabetes, when treating pancreatitis, you should follow a strict diet. The problem in this case is the presence of fiber in the products. The fact is that in drying, all the useful substances, including fiber, are preserved, so against the background of acute pancreatitis, foods containing it should be abandoned.
However, as the disease progresses to the chronic stage, some restrictions can be neglected. So, during this period, it is possible and necessary to eat dried apples, because the useful substances contained in them restore the microflora of the stomach and normalize its work.
In any case, with pancreatitis, you should not be fond of dried fruits, and it is better to pay attention to compotes, which are made of them, because they do not put a load on the pancreas.
Gastritis, in fact, is a chronic disease associated with a decrease in the thickness of the mucous membrane of the stomach. For successful treatment, it is necessary to give up eating a number of foods that mechanically affect the walls of the stomach.
Doctors do not recommend eating fresh apples for gastritis, as they affect acidity, but dried apples can and are even useful. When dried, they concentrate a huge amount of vitamins and nutrients, some of which are beneficial for the gastrointestinal tract.
For the intestines
Dried apples contain a large amount of fiber: in 1/3 cup there is about 3 g. Fiber, in particular, is extremely important for the stomach, as it promotes weight loss and excretion of toxins. When it enters the body, it swells, and its volume becomes 3 times larger. Then, fiber, gently acting on the walls of the stomach, cleanses the esophagus and removes harmful substances, which leads to weight loss. Fiber is sometimes called the "sponge" of the large intestine.
In addition, it stimulates digestion and absorption of nutrients, which increases immunity.
In case of constipation.
Digestive complications may well arise even in a perfectly healthy person. The most common problem is constipation. The reasons for its occurrence can be stress, changes in the habitual diet, infection, etc. Apples normalize the work of the intestines, which is why they are included in various diets, as a sharp change in diet can be a real problem.
As for dried apples, it is recommended to eat them for constipation. Fresh apples can cause flatulence and fermentation, which often aggravates the situation. Dried apples contain plant fibers that act as a mild laxative. They act on the intestinal walls and soften the feces, so you don't have to push hard, which eliminates the risk of rectal prolapse. Fiber helps to restore normal GI function. If you include dried apples in your diet on a regular basis, there is a chance that you can forget about constipation forever.
If you have gout
Gout is associated with an excess of uric acid in the body, which is the main cause of it. Treatment involves following a diet that excludes protein. In addition, it necessarily includes an apple, namely its peel, so the inclusion of dried fruits from the fruit in the diet is very important to effectively combat the disease.
Micronutrients and useful substances help to restore strength and the body's fight against inflammation. Dried apples and products made on their basis remove uric acid salts, which is especially important.
Dried fruits also contain tannins, which are an excellent preventive measure against gouty inflammation of the joints.
Harms and contraindications
Dried apples can cause harm to the body, this is primarily due to excessive consumption.
- You should not eat dried apples if your gastrointestinal tract is not functioning properly. The fact is that if before eating dried apples the presence of fiber in the diet was scarce, then its increased amount will be a real test for the stomach. And this can lead to cramps, constipation and diarrhea.
- Weight gain. Dried fruits, including dried apples, contribute to weight loss, but it is necessary to review the diet. If this is not done, the number of consumed calories will increase significantly, which, in turn, will affect the figure.
- Dried apples contain a lot of sugar, so you should brush your teeth or drink water after eating them to reduce the risk of tooth decay.
- In addition, dried apples contain acids that irritate the mucous membrane of the stomach, so you should use them very carefully in case of gastritis and ulcers.
- For pancreatitis and diabetes, it is important to consult with the doctor overseeing the disease before eating.
How and Where to Store Dried Apples
During the winter months, dried apples are a real vitamin pantry, but many people do not know how and where to store them properly to keep them from mold, moisture and insects.
In addition to space and containers, temperature is an important part of proper storage. It is desirable that it does not exceed 10 ° C. If the dried fruit is ready already in summer, the ideal place is a window sill or balcony. These places have good ventilation, which will prevent the appearance of excess moisture and mold. When storing dried apples in this way, it is better to cover them with a clean cloth, because under ultraviolet light, some of the useful substances decay.
In winter, when the cold weather comes, dried fruits should be placed in a container and put in a dark place: a closet or pantry. The container will protect them from moisture. As insurance, you can put a saucer of salt or baking soda next to the storage area to reduce the humidity. The ideal figure is 30%.
You can store dried apples in plastic, glass or cardboard containers, each method is good, all that remains is to make a choice.
If the main goal is to protect the dried fruit from pests, a cloth bag is just perfect for this. Insects simply will not be able to get to them through the fabric. In addition, the workpieces will be ventilated, which will be an additional advantage: the risk of mold will be reduced. In order to sew the bag, no special knowledge and skills are required, the main thing is that it closes tightly. Natural fabrics should be used as the material. Before storing the fabric should be treated. To do this, it is necessary to wash the bag using ordinary laundry soap. For greater protection, the fabric can be treated with soap foam, which does not need to be washed off. After drying, you need to put there dried apples and put them in the cupboard.
When storing dried fruit in a jar, you must strictly adhere to the rule: apple slices must be absolutely dry. Otherwise, excess moisture will appear in the jar, which can lead to the formation of mold. Also, you should periodically open the lid to air it out.
Save dried fruit from insects can be another clever way. Before drying, the apple slice should be rinsed in running water and dipped in salted water. After that, for 10 minutes the slice should be placed in a vinegar solution (1 tbsp. vinegar per 1 liter of water). After such a simple procedure, dried fruit will not smell, and therefore - and attract insects.
How to dry apples at home
Start making dried apples in late summer, when the main harvest takes place. Drying apples outdoors has been a popular method of preserving for centuries, so certain rules have been clearly formed during this time.
The main advantage of outdoor drying is that a large amount of dried fruit can be prepared at one time. This method is recommended to use only in hot or dry weather, as in the rainy and cold period it takes a long time to do this, in addition, there is a risk of spoiling the final product.
- Rinse and thoroughly dry the fruit.
- If the apples were purchased in the store, the skin should be cut off, if homemade - be sure to leave.
- Remove the core.
- Cut into slices, the thickness of which should not exceed 1 cm.
- Soak the slices in a mild salt solution to prevent them from getting black.
- Spread the slices on a clean surface in a single layer.
- Cover the apples with gauze to prevent insects from landing on them and laying larvae.
You can dry in the sun and in the shade. In the first case, drying will take only a few days, but direct sunlight and ultraviolet light will destroy many useful organic compounds. Therefore, drying done in the shade is considered more useful.
Determining whether dried apples are ready is very simple: if the peel has darkened and the pulp is no longer sticky, the product is ready for storage. An interesting way is to store dried fruit in a bath. It is resorted to when the weather suddenly went bad or it was quite cool on the street. Slices of apples are placed on baking trays and put them in a bath, which is intensively heated for 3-4 hours.
Important! The color of the drying does not show the degree of its readiness. For example, summer varieties of apples will look light, and winter ones - dark. This should be taken into account when making.
Drying in the oven
For well-known reasons, city dwellers can't dry apples outdoors, so many people have become adept at doing it in the oven.
In order to properly prepare drying in the oven, you should rely on some rules:
- The oven allows you to preserve almost all the useful substances and vitamins, so it is not necessary to remove the core, on the contrary - it will give taste and benefit to the compote made from dried fruits.
- Trays are not suitable for drying fruit, including apples. For this purpose, you should use a lattice or grid, on which to lay parchment or baking paper.
- It is necessary to monitor the temperature in the oven. After the start of drying, when it reaches 50 ° C, the door should be ajar, so that some of the moisture escapes from it. The main mode of drying apples should take place at a temperature of 90 ° C. Modes should be alternated.
In the microwave oven
Apples can safely be dried for the winter, even in the microwave oven. For this purpose, it is best to use winter varieties of apples, as the summer ones produce a poor quality product:
- Apples should be prepared: washed and wiped, the core can not be removed if you plan to cook compote from them. Cut into slices. When drying in the microwave, the procedure should be carried out in portions, as the surface of sliced apples in the air quickly darkens.
- Set the oven to 200 W power.
- The drying temperature should be slightly lower than the temperature intended for defrosting food.
- Set the timer of the oven for no more than 1 minute, and each time check the readiness.
What varieties of apples are suitable for drying
It is important to understand that not all varieties of apples are suitable for cooking dried fruit. For example, sweet apples are not suitable, because the drying will be tasteless. Winter varieties are used quite rarely and only quality ones. Therefore, sweet and sour autumn varieties are the most suitable: Pepin, Antonovka or Aport. These varieties are also characterized by a high dry matter content, which means they will decrease slightly.
The apples should be large with a thin rind, and the seedbox should be small.
How many dried apples do you get from a kilo of fresh apples?
Any apple consists of approximately 90% water. The final figure depends on the variety, the thickness of the peel, and the size of the seedbox.
When drying, only water is removed from the apples, so it is not difficult to calculate how many apples are needed to get 1 kg of dried fruit. Practice shows that from 10 kg of fresh apples you can get 1.1-1.3 kg of finished product.
What can be made from dried apples
The easiest drink that can be made from dried apples is a compote: a natural product, tasty and useful in winter.
Method of preparation:
- Prepare the products. For 6 servings you will need about 350 g of dried apples, 250 g of sugar, 2-2.5 liters of water, citric acid and cinnamon.
- Rinse the dried fruit thoroughly and put it in a saucepan.
- Boil water, pour the apples.
- Cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- In the resulting broth add citric acid, cinnamon and cool. You can also add frozen fruit such as strawberries or raspberries.
Kvass, like compote from dried apples, is quite easy to make. It is useful and nutritious, and you can enjoy its taste on the second day.
To prepare it you will need: a couple of large handfuls of dried fruit from apples, 3.5 liters of water, 150 grams of sugar, a couple of tablespoons of honey and 5 grams of dry yeast.
First you need to wash dried apples, and then place them in boiling water for 10-15 minutes, while the broth should be stirred thoroughly from time to time. After the time has elapsed, strain the broth and cool it to room temperature. Then add honey and sugar and pour into a jar.
After that, pour dry yeast all over the surface and cover with gauze. Leave in a warm place for 24 hours. The next day you can feel the incredible aroma of kvass. The readiness of the drink can easily be determined by the characteristic crema. The resulting kvass to pour and put in the refrigerator.
The main rule of cooking healthy food is the minimum heat treatment, because valuable useful substances under the influence of temperature decay and lose their power. That's why steamed food is considered healthy.
The same applies to dried fruits: no matter how much they contain vitamins and nutrients, boiling will greatly affect their amount in the end, especially this will affect vitamin C. In addition, dried fruit has already undergone some processing.
To prepare a delicious decoction of dried apples, you need to take 250 grams of dried fruit, rinse and put them in a pot of water for 1-2 hours so that they swell. Then drain the water, put in a thermos, pour boiling water and leave overnight. In the morning you will get a delicious decoction of dried apples.
Infusion of dried apples is a drink that is great for children. It contains useful substances and fiber. It is easy to prepare, and it is perfectly absorbed by the body. Dietary fiber normalizes digestion and stools, and cleanses the child's body of harmful substances.
The infusion is prepared as follows: dried apples are steamed with boiling water and the mixture is kept at high temperature, but not boiled! Pour 1/3 cup of dried fruit in hot water and cover with a lid.
The homeland of jam is considered the Middle East, the climate and the abundance of exotic fruits contributed to this. Over time, the delicacy began to be prepared all over the world according to different recipes. Dried apple jam is especially popular because of its ease of preparation and usefulness.
You will need 1 kg of dried apples and the same amount of sugar. Before you start, soak the dried fruit for 24 hours so that it becomes soft. Then put them in a saucepan, pour water and fill with sugar. To accelerate the process, you can dissolve sugar in water. Cook on a low heat until tender.
Can we give dried apples to animals?
Dried apples are useful not only for humans, but also for animals, which is why they can be found in the composition of food. For animals, in addition to vitamins, fiber is very important for cleansing the body.
For dogs it is recommended to add dried apples to their food no more than twice a week, and in small amounts. So, for small breeds - this norm is no more than 2-4 slices, medium - no more than half a handful, and large - a handful. In addition, only the dried green varieties of apples should be given, since red ones can cause allergies.
Cats can also be given dried apples in small quantities no more than once a week.
Interesting facts about apples
Apple is a wonderful, useful and everyone's favorite fruit, but few people know interesting facts about it. So:
- Homeland is Asia, but the fruit is especially popular in Europe and the United States.
- The apple is the third most popular fruit in the world, second only to bananas and mangoes.
- Half of the world's fruit trees are apples.
- Apples contain acid that dissolves gallstones.
- If you eat one apple every day, it would take more than 20 years to try all the varieties-so many of them.
- Apples are given an important role in religion, not only in Christian, but also in ancient Greek and Scandinavian mythology.
- Although apples are high in sugar, the fiber counteracts its effects, and eating them has no effect on blood glucose levels.
- Apple pie was first baked in England in the 14th century and the crust was not allowed to be eaten.
- Approximately 1/4 of an apple consists of air, which is why the fruit does not sink in water.
- Apples reduce the risk of cancer.
- Apple seeds contain a dangerous poison, cyanide. But you have to eat more than 250 seeds for it to do any harm.
- Green apples strengthen bones and teeth and improve eyesight. The amount of vitamin C in them is twice as much as in red ones.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only. for your own health. Check with your health care professional before using any recommendation. health care professional. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."