Raw eggs: useful properties and contraindications
Today, almost every home can see a dozen eggs on the refrigerator shelf. They are actively used in baking, cooked for breakfast, added to salads, make from them a variety of beauty masks and even eaten raw.
- Which eggs are healthier: raw or boiled
- How to distinguish a boiled egg from a raw one
- Hot water
- Composition and calories
- What are the health benefits of raw chicken eggs
- For Women
- For Men
- For children
- The benefits and harms of raw quail eggs
- Raw eggs in medicine
- For pancreatitis.
- For Intestines
- For constipation
- For gout
- For the liver
- Raw Eggs in Beauty Therapy
- For Face
- For Hair
- Harm and Contraindications
- Shelf life of raw eggs
- Why does a raw egg float in cold water?
- Can I freeze eggs?
- Rules of eating raw eggs
- Can one drink raw eggs every day?
- Can I Drink Raw Eggs at Night and on an empty stomach?
- Can I Drink Raw Eggs from a Store?
- Can we give raw eggs to animals?
- Interesting Facts
Chicken eggs are a nutritious product that has a rich composition. It contains many different amino carboxylic acids, vitamins of many groups, carotene and choline. Choline is an element that prevents the deposition of cholesterol on the walls of blood vessels. The consumption of this product is always associated with breakfast and good nutrition.
Eggs are not only boiled or fried, they are often consumed raw: eggnog, homemade mayonnaise, French meringue and protein glaze. This is by no means the entire list of dishes, all of which are very popular. Raw eggs are common in the beauty industry and beyond.
Which eggs are healthier: raw or hard-boiled
The benefits of the two types of eggs have been debated for a long time. Repeatedly scientists have argued that hard-boiled eggs are healthier than raw eggs, because people should eat food of animal origin only after heat treatment. In addition, eggs that have not been treated at high temperatures can be a source of dangerous disease. We are talking about an intestinal infection that affects the gastrointestinal tract - salmonellosis. But you can fall ill only from the eggs, which were laid by a sick chicken. Therefore, before eating raw foods, you need to be sure that they are clean.
But a lot has been said about the benefits of raw eggs. Cooked with high temperatures, products lose some useful trace elements.
In fact, it does not matter whether you eat eggs raw or boiled. They both have their pros and cons, the main thing is to be sure of their quality and know what benefits they can bring.
How to tell the difference between a hard-boiled egg and a raw egg
In order for the products not to go bad, it is customary to put them in the refrigerator. Therefore, many people, after boiling eggs, put them in the cold to keep them fresh until the next breakfast or dinner. And as often happens, boiled and raw eggs are mixed on the same shelf in the refrigerator. So how do you tell the difference between a raw egg and a hard-boiled egg without damaging the shell? There are a few tricks for this.
This is the best known method of checking. The essence of the method is to unwind the egg and assess its movement. How to do it:
- Drop with the edge on a smooth and hard surface, most often a kitchen table.
- Put your hand on the egg: thumb on one side, the rest on the opposite side.
- Unroll it.
- After starting to rotate, press it with your finger.
After performing the method correctly, you can determine the condition of the egg by its activity:
- A cooked one spins around its axis with speed and uniformity, and after pressure with the finger it stops quickly.
- A raw one spins slowly, rolling over, and when pressure is applied to it, it does not stop immediately, but can make up to two revolutions.
Why does this happen: two eggs with different innards have different centers of gravity. A hard-boiled egg is a solid object. A raw egg has a hard shell and is filled with liquid inside, which makes the two eggs rotate differently.
This method is considered simple, but not the most effective. The essence: to hear what happens under the shell. How to do it:
- Put the egg in your hand.
- Bring it to your ear.
- Shake it.
You will hear a characteristic sound inside the raw egg, the egg will wobble, which means that the yolk is liquid or, more precisely, raw. If there is no sound, nothing separates from the shell, so the egg is cooked.
Another little trick many housewives use. They shine through the egg. You can use either daylight or artificial light (lamp or flashlight) for this method. How to do it:
- Create darkness in the room (turn off the lights, close the curtains).
- Turn on the light (a flashlight is best).
- Attach the flashlight to the egg.
Because of its consistency, a hard-boiled egg will not let the light through. The liquid interior of a raw egg will shine through.
To avoid subjecting eggs to re-cooking, you can test them with boiling water. To do this, you need to:
- Take them out of the refrigerator ahead of time so they are at room temperature.
- Prepare boiling water in a saucepan or pot.
- Dip the eggs with a spoon for 15 seconds.
- Take them out.
If small bubbles form around the shell, the egg is raw. It has many small pores on its surface, through which air enters. The embryo needs it to breathe. When an egg is put into boiling water, the temperature causes the gas to escape and bubbles to form. With a hard-boiled egg, all the gas came out during the last cooking, so no bubbles form.
This method will only help with the next cooking, because an egg that has been dropped into boiling water can no longer be saved for a long time. It is better to boil it and use it already ready.
Useful tip! In order not to confuse the eggs after boiling, you should use some tricks:
- Mark the boiled ones with a food marker.
- Store in different containers on different shelves of the refrigerator.
- Dye them while they are cooking (with dyes, onion husks, or carte blanche tea).
Using these tricks, mixing up the eggs will simply be impossible.
Composition and calories
An egg combines two main components - white and yolk. Each of these elements has its own amount of useful elements and energy value. The weight of one egg varies from 40 to 70 g. Calories per 100 g. Therefore, when calculating the number of calories, proteins, fats and carbohydrates consumed, you should consider its weight.
There are more than ten main components in the egg:
- B vitamins.
- Vitamins A, C, D, E, K, H, PP.
- Potassium, calcium, magnesium.
- Zinc, selenium, copper.
- Manganese, iron, chromium.
- Sulfur, iodine, fluorine.
These are not all the constituents of the egg. Chicken protein is a rich source of protein, choline, lecithin, which contributes to a sufficient blood supply to the brain, improving memory and reducing the risk of sclerosis.
The main components of the yolk are polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids (over 70%), there is also a small amount of unsaturated fatty acids (30%). The yolk contains cholesterol, but thanks to choline, which regulates fat and cholesterol levels, the egg is not a source of "bad" cholesterol.
The shell is not left out, it is rich in calcium, which strengthens bones, restores hair and stimulates its growth, reduces nail brittleness. It is washed, peeled of foils, dried, and ground into a powder. Powder from the shells is added to tea or water, taking courses of no more than two times a year.
For many people who monitor their diet or calculate the CDF rate, it is important to know the energy value of a raw egg:
Per 100 g of product:
- Protein - 12.7 g.
- Fats - 10.9 g.
- Carbohydrates - 0.7 g.
- Calories - 157.
How are raw chicken eggs useful?
The composition of raw eggs surprises the number of vitamins, nutrients and minerals. Their consumption in raw form helps to recover faster from various colds. This product is often used by singers and actors to lubricate the larynx mucosa and ligaments. Raw eggs are widely used in the world of sports because of the high amount of pure protein.
- Beauty. The abundance of vitamins in a raw egg is beneficial to a woman's beauty. Regular consumption of 1 piece a day will strengthen the nails and hair. Also, the product has a beneficial effect on the teeth and gums.
- Cancer prevention. Many believe that to prevent breast cancer you should eat raw eggs, their enzymes help the body reduce the risk of tumors and metastases. The main enzyme, choline, more commonly known as vitamin B4, has the ability to repair tissues and remove from the body various toxins and enzymes that disrupt internal organs.
- Increased immunity. Decreased immunity is a serious problem that disables the entire body. Women are most often affected by this process. Raw eggs can help to cope with such a problem as well. An abundance of vitamins helps the body produce immune cells and boost immunity.
- Activation of brain function. Improving blood flow to the brain helps to get a lot of oxygen. Thanks to this, the brain begins to work actively, memory improves, and the risk of eye pressure decreases.
- Thanks to the presence of protein help men actively build muscle mass. Athletes around the world have long been consuming raw eggs to increase muscle mass. Protein (or pure protein) increases muscle endurance, increases the amount of energy, and thus the body becomes stronger. With regular use and active attendance at the gym, muscles become more sculpted.
- Beneficial effect on potency. Large amounts of vitamins and trace elements help men maintain an erection. Protein and zinc, which are part of the egg, are responsible for the production of testosterone. The consumption of 1 piece a day will contribute to the normal functioning of the sexual system of a man.
- Reduce the risk of prostatitis. The universal composition of raw eggs has a beneficial effect on the outflow of bile, normalizes the function of the liver. The state of the prostate gland is directly dependent on the condition of the liver and biliary tract. Drinking raw eggs, men reduce the risk of prostatitis.
- Improve the quality of ejaculate. The quality of ejaculate directly depends on the amount of amino acids that enter the body. The amino acids found in raw eggs help the normal production of male sex hormones.
An expectant mother always wants the best for her child. While a woman carries a child, she carefully monitors her diet. To develop the baby did not lag, you need to eat food with high nutritional value. That is such a product is raw eggs.
Adding to the diet of raw eggs, the mother-to-be can count on its positive impact on the baby.
- Stability of the hormonal background. The most important benefit of raw eggs, which doctors point out - they can keep a woman's hormonal background normal. During pregnancy, when the body is constantly changing, a woman's psychological health is threatened by a surge of hormones, an egg can be a lifesaver. Vitamin B4 helps normalize the nervous system and hormone levels.
- Healthy hair, nails and teeth. It is believed that a pregnant woman gives half of her health to her baby, and because of this her hair, nails, teeth, and facial rashes deteriorate. Vitamins and minerals that eggs contain can help to solve these problems.
- Proper development of the child. Doctors necessarily prescribe folic acid intake until 12 weeks of pregnancy. The egg in its composition has folic acid, which is well absorbed by the body, which means that the child will develop in accordance with the term.
The lactation period is one of the most important periods in a woman's life. And the main task of a mother is to give the best to her baby. Despite the fact that eggs are a source of protein, choline and many other useful substances, you should not eat them while breastfeeding. There is a high probability of an allergic reaction of the child to this product.
Scientists have proven that raw quail eggs are useful for children. Their composition is ideal for an immature child's stomach, they are easily digested and help with some problems.
- Reducing the risk of diathesis. Diathesis is a child's reaction to various products. It is associated with age, with the introduction of each new product. There are many different other factors that can stain your baby's cheeks red. Raw quail eggs have the ability to coat the walls of the stomach and reduce the risk of diathesis recurrence.
- Increase calcium levels in the body. Regular consumption of eggs by children helps to prevent calcium deficiency. Its deficiency can cause brittle bones, teeth, brittle hair and nails. All these problems can be solved by giving children quail eggs.
- Mental and physical development. Every parent wants his or her child to enjoy new achievements and discoveries. In order that the level of physical activity does not fall, it is good to eat raw eggs. Rich in a lot of different elements, they will help to increase the level of the brain, as well as to develop the physical strength of the child.
When losing weight.
The large amount of protein makes eggs a good aid in weight loss. The digestion will also be a positive side. Boiled ones are 98% digestible, while raw ones are 60% digestible. This means that automatically the body will get less calories and carbohydrates, which are the main sources of excess weight.
Benefits and harms of raw quail eggs
Small quail eggs, despite their size, have a huge amount of useful elements. They are considered one of the most valuable products. They contain almost the entire Mendeleev's table, and in the records of ancient medicine you can find entire books about their benefits for humans. But despite all this, quail eggs, like any other product, have not only positive qualities, but also negative.
- Strengthen the cardiovascular system, reduce the risk of arterial hypertension, coronary artery disease.
- Restore and strengthen the immune system.
- Contribute to the removal of toxins, toxins and heavy metals from the body, reducing the risk of malignant tumors.
- Normalize hormonal background of women, have a beneficial effect on reproductive performance.
- Reduce the risk of myoma, uterine polyps, mastopathy.
- Due to the large amount of vitamin A helps to strengthen bones, increase visual acuity.
- For men can act as an aphrodisiac.
- Strengthen the nervous system. Eggs contain substances that help eliminate phenols from the body. Thanks to this, irritability is reduced and mental abilities improve.
We should not forget that it is only a food product, not a cure-all. In addition to their good qualities, quail eggs can also have negative effects on the body.
- Allergies. Do not forget that protein is not only a useful substance, but also a strong allergen. Most often, children are allergic to quail eggs. Therefore, doctors advise introducing them into the child's diet in small portions.
- Salmonellosis. Eating raw eggs of any feathered birds is dangerous because of the possibility of contracting salmonellosis. Quail can also carry this disease. Make sure the quality and freshness of the product before consuming it.
Consumption of raw quail eggs is contraindicated for people with protein intolerance, suffering from atherosclerosis, as well as liver and kidney diseases. Taking a large amount of protein worsens the general condition, the symptoms of diseases become more pronounced.
Raw eggs in medicine
Back in ancient Russia, raw eggs were in great demand for the treatment of various ailments. They were used to treat a variety of ailments, added to tinctures, made various powders and ointments. Over the years, raw eggs are still in honor with fans of folk medicine, they are used for various diseases.
For diabetes mellitus
For the treatment of diabetes in folk medicine, you can find many different recipes. Many of these compositions are made on the basis of or with the addition of raw egg. The trace elements they contain relieve inflammation of the pancreas, so insulin production is normalized.
Despite their high fat and cholesterol content, eggs are very useful for pancreatitis. Protein is easily digested, so the affected cells are restored, enzyme secretion is normalized, the feeling of hunger disappears. This is very useful, especially for those who are on a diet.
It has long been known that eggs can inhibit the development of the bacterium Helicobacter pylori, which causes gastritis. Doctors and folk medicine agree that raw eggs are useful not only for gastritis, but also for other stomach diseases. The protein envelopes the mucosa that lines the stomach from the inside and soothes it and reduces inflammation.
Doctors used to use the conservative method of treating the stomach. The essence of the method was to drink a raw egg, gradually increasing the amount to 7-8 pieces at a time. It looked like this: in the morning of the first day the patient drank one egg, on the second day - two, on the fourth - four. The treatment lasted a maximum of eight days. Today, this method is practically not used and prefer medicines.
To relieve inflammation, swelling and pain in the stomach, you should drink a course of raw eggs:
- chicken - in the morning, on an empty stomach for 30 days;
- quail - 3 pieces, a course of one month.
For the intestines
The nutritional value of eggs for the intestines is great. With the consumption of 1 piece a day, the body is able to restore its work. The protein envelops the walls of the mucosa of the large and small intestine. The product prevents the development of cancer in different parts of the intestine. He increases immunity, which depends directly on the proper functioning of the intestine, reduces inflammation, stops the development of pathogens.
Colon obstruction is always accompanied by a lot of problems. Nutritionists recommend eating no more than two eggs a day. But they must be heat-treated (in the form of a soft-boiled egg or an omelet). Eating raw is not recommended for constipation.
In case of gout.
Following a diet is an important consideration if you have gout. Most diets completely limit the consumption of eggs. However, in some you can find them, but not more than 1 piece per day.
For the liver.
With liver diseases, doctors advise to consume this product, because its composition helps to restore the damaged cells of the organ. And also lecithin regulates the level of cholesterol, which is very important for normal liver function.
Raw eggs are forbidden for people with cirrhosis of the liver and chronic hepatitis.
Inflammation of the gallbladder is divided into two large groups, depending on the tone and motility of the biliary tract. If the motility is reduced, then raw eggs will be very helpful, because they contribute to the contraction of the muscles of the gallbladder, but those who have it too active, the use of this product is strictly prohibited.
Raw eggs in cosmetics
Raw eggs are not only useful if consumed internally. Thanks to the many masks based on them you can restore hair, strengthen nails, even out face tone and forget about the hated black dots.
For the face
Creating face masks at home is not only fun, but also very useful for the skin. The abundance of various chemicals in cosmetics spoils the complexion, closes pores, and increases the risk of acne. The main purpose of homemade egg masks is to give the skin a boost of beneficial vitamins and minerals.
Facial cleansing mask with honey
- Egg - 1 piece.
- Honey - 1 teaspoon.
- Mayonnaise - 1 teaspoon.
- Grinded fresh berries - 1 tablespoon.
- Oatmeal flour (can be wheat flour) - as needed.
Mix all the ingredients except the flour until you get a liquid porridge. Gradually add flour, stirring often. Bring to a state of thickness so that you can distribute it on the face. Apply to a cleansed face, keep for 15 minutes, rinse off with cool clean water.
Restore the complexion
- Egg - 1 piece.
- Grated carrot - 2 tablespoons.
Mix the ingredients, apply to the face and leave for 15 minutes, then wash off with clean water.
Useful tip: When applying masks to dry areas of the skin, they must first be lubricated with oil (olive, almond, pistachio) - then the composition will act evenly.
Removing excessive shine of the skin
- Egg - 1 piece.
- Grated raw potatoes - 2 tablespoons.
Mix both ingredients and apply to the face, wash off with water after 15 minutes. Such a mask eliminates oily skin shine and evens out the tone of the face.
Black Spot Masks
Based on yolk and clay:
- Yolk of 1st egg.
- Pink clay - ½ tablespoon.
Dissolve the clay in the yolk and apply to the face, wash off with cool water after 10 minutes. The mask removes the visible signs of black spots and tightens pores.
Protein against black spots:
- Protein of the 1st egg.
- Honey - 10 g.
Whip the egg white until foamy, add honey and knead well. Apply to the problem areas of the face, in 10 minutes rinse with cool water. The mask will help to clean pores, reducing the number of black dots.
Protein-based mask using tissues
- Protein of the 1st egg.
- Paper towels or washcloths.
Whip egg white until foamy. Clean the face, apply a thin layer of protein to the skin. Put paper towels cut into convenient pieces on the protein. Wait until it is completely dry. Then with a quick movement tear the tissues from the face. The procedure can be painful.
The napkin will leave "elongated" black dots. Such a mask is not suitable for everyone, but only for those who have wide pores, which conventional masks do not purify.
The easiest way, which began to be used many years ago and to this day, is to wash your hair with a regular raw egg, so that the hair absorbs all the useful vitamins.
Homemade hair conditioner
After shampooing, hair is often tangled and difficult to brush. Conditioner for hair from the egg yolk will help to solve this problem. To make it, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 yolks.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- A little water.
Beat the yolks well with a whisk, add olive oil, mix everything well. For ease of application, add a little warm water. The conditioner is ready. After washing the hair, remove excess moisture with a terry towel, apply the egg-oil mixture to the hair. After 10 minutes, rinse with cool water.
Useful tip: To make the hair look neater after washing, rinse it with cool, almost cold water. Then the scales close, and the hair is no longer very frizzy. Hot water will only open the scales even more.
Combat hair loss
- Cocoa powder - 70 g.
- Milk - 50 ml.
- Cognac - 30 ml.
- One egg yolk.
Pour the cognac in a bowl and add the egg yolk, whisk the mixture until it becomes foamy. Then add milk and cocoa and whisk again until foamy. Apply to a clean head, rubbing. It is not necessary to distribute it along the length of the hair, as cognac can dry out the ends. Wrap your head in polyethylene (or food film). Tie a scarf or wear a hat. Rinse off after 40 minutes with clean water.
Use the mask no more than twice a week for two months. Then take a two-month break.
Nourishing and moisturizing dry hair
- Yolk - 1 piece.
- Fat kefir - half a cup.
- Mayonnaise - a tablespoon.
Foam the yolk in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. The mask is ready. Apply along the entire length of the hair and rub into the scalp. Wrap well. Rinse off with clean water after one hour.
Laminating effect in one application
- Protein - from 1 egg.
- Sour cream - 3 tablespoons.
- Avocado - a half.
Peel the avocado, grind it into a puree (it is easiest to do with an immersion blender). Whip a little protein with a fork, mix with avocado and sour cream. Apply the mixture to the scalp and distribute over the entire length of the hair. Wrap well with cling film and warm your head. Hold the mask for 15 minutes. Wash off with shampoo.
The effect will be stronger if you use shampoo with silicone additives, which smooth porous hair.
Harm and contraindications
Despite the useful composition of the raw egg, it, like all food products, has its contraindications to use and negative effects if used improperly.
- Infection with salmonellosis is the very first and most important thing to know before using raw eggs.
- Allergies - chicken protein quite often causes it, particularly in children under the age of 10 years.
- A large amount of fat (overeating eggs) contributes to the improper absorption of fats. The consequences can be high cholesterol and weight gain.
- Eggs should not be eaten by people who are allergic to protein.
- It is strictly forbidden to eat raw eggs for people with metabolic disorders. A large amount of protein requires active work of the body to assimilate the protein. If the metabolic processes are disturbed, the product will not be assimilated, it is fraught with health deterioration.
- It is not advised to use this product for people with high cholesterol because of the presence of cholesterol in eggs.
Shelf life of raw eggs
Like most animal products, eggs have a small shelf life, which depends strongly on the temperature regime.
- Diet eggs are stored for no more than 7 days.
- Table: in the refrigerator - no more than 90 days, at room temperature below 19 degrees - no more than 25 days.
Why a raw egg floats in cold water
There is a simple trick to check the freshness of eggs. Just dip the egg into cold water and you will immediately know if the egg is fresh or not. The shell is permeated with many micropores that supply air to the future embryo. Therefore, after a while, when the future chick needs oxygen, the pores let air in. The longer an egg lies, the more oxygen collects under the shell. Therefore, a stale one will always float. Plus there are little tricks that can tell you how long an egg has been lying.
- If it sank to the bottom right away, it means it's fresh.
- If it has floated up and its blunt end is facing upward, the egg is about a week old. It is liquid and can be consumed, but it is better to cook it, make an omelet or boil it.
- If it floated up with the sharp end up, then it is more than 30 days, you should not use such an egg, even after heat treatment.
Can I Freeze Eggs
Eggs that are frozen in the refrigerator lose their properties, structure and useful substances. But when separating the whites and yolks, you can freeze the latter: their structure allows you to keep them in the refrigerator chamber, but no more than six months.
Rules for eating raw eggs
Eggs should be washed well with soap and water before consumption.
Eggs can be drunk in different ways. Some people mix them with fruit or vegetable juice. Some people just stir them and drink them with salt, while others drink them without any additives. Either option is acceptable.
Can I drink raw eggs every day?
The absorption of such an egg is 30% lower than that of a cooked egg. But the benefits that comes exactly raw - much more. They are used fresh for courses - from 30 to 40 days in a row. After that, you should definitely take a break, because an overabundance of vitamins and protein can cause many health problems.
Can I drink raw eggs at night and on an empty stomach?
Taking raw eggs at night is undesirable, because the body needs a lot of energy to digest food. Doctors recommend to drink eggs in the morning, when the body is full of energy and digestion is particularly productive.
To get their healing properties it is better to drink eggs on an empty stomach. Then the protein will work properly in the stomach and intestines. It is better to have breakfast no earlier than 30 minutes later.
Can I drink raw eggs from the store?
Consumption of eggs from the store in raw form without heat treatment is possible only if you follow the rules:
- Eggs must be fresh and of the highest grade.
- Before using them you must wash them well with soap and water under running water.
Can we give raw eggs to animals?
The body of animals also needs vitamins and nutrients that are found in eggs. Animals can be given both raw and cooked eggs. The main thing is the quantity and frequency. Eggs should be fed to pets with caution, no more than one per day and no more than a few times a week.
Consumption of raw eggs is purely individual and also a matter of taste. We should not forget about all the positive qualities of this product, but also we should always keep in mind that caution is needed.
- The record for the number of eggs eaten at one time is 144 and belongs to a U.S. citizen since 1910.
- Eggs will keep longer if placed in the refrigerator with the blunt tip up. The air pocket in the tip collects bacteria in it, so if you don't flip the testicles, they won't get into the protein.
- The average size of an ostrich egg is 20 centimeters. In 2010, a hen surpassed an ostrich and laid an egg 23 centimeters in diameter. It made it into the Guinness Book of World Records.
- A hen can reproduce eggs without the help of a rooster - such eggs are called "chatterboxes". No chick can hatch from them.
- Alfred Hitchcock had a phobia of oval objects. Most of all, he was afraid of eggs.
«Important: all information on this site is provided for informational purposes only for informational purposes only. Consult a specialist before applying any recommendations. specialist before using any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."