Pumpkin porridge: useful properties and recipes for cooking
Unusual, but familiar to everyone, a dish based on fragrant pumpkin is characterized by lightness, high nutritional value and a very pleasant delicate taste. That's why pumpkin porridge is chosen for breakfast and afternoon snacks, introduced in children's diets and eagerly eaten on diets. What is the usefulness of pumpkin porridge and how to cook it deliciously, we will tell below.
- Composition and calories
- What is the usefulness of pumpkin porridge
- General benefits
- Benefits of pumpkin porridge with millet
- Benefits of Pumpkin Porridge with Rice
- Benefits of Pumpkin Porridge with Milk
- Is it possible to give pumpkin porridge to pregnant and nursing women?
- Benefits of pumpkin porridge for children
- Pumpkin porridge for weight loss
- Pumpkin porridge in medicine
- Diabetes Mellitus
- For pancreatitis
- For gastritis
- How to cook pumpkin porridge: Recipes
- With millet
- With rice
- With milk
- With water
- With semolina
- How to choose a pumpkin for porridge
- Harm and Contraindications
- Interesting Facts about Pumpkin
Composition and calories
Fragrant orange porridge is prepared in different ways: on the basis of pumpkin pieces, with the addition of milk and cream, vegetable oils, sugar or honey, as well as with the addition of cereals. The caloric value of the porridge also depends on the recipe.
- Pumpkin itself contains from 20 to 30 kcal per 100 grams of product, depending on the variety.
- Each spoonful of sugar or honey adds about 30 kcal to the finished dish.
- Milk slightly increases the caloric value of the snack, but with the addition of butter the calories increase noticeably: +75 kcal for the addition of 10 grams per serving.
- Among cereals, millet will be the most substantial (+90 kcal), a little less substantial is semolina (+80 kcal), the most dietary is rice (+75 kcal). Those striving to lose weight can also choose brown rice: it is not fully digested, performing the function of cleansing the intestines. The energy value of porridge with it will be less.
If you add dried fruits or nuts to the porridge, the caloric value of one serving may increase by 20-30 units.
Thus, the caloric value of pumpkin porridge will be from 80 to 180 kcal per 100 grams, and pumpkin porridge without filling will bring only 15-50 kcal, depending on the sweetness of the fruit.
The main benefits of porridge are rooted in the valuable properties of pumpkin. This vegetable contains a rich vitamin and mineral complex, delicate dietary fiber, pectin and a number of useful compounds.
Pumpkin contains all the B vitamins, vitamin A in large quantities, also E, PP, K, T. The mineral composition is represented by potassium, phosphorus, calcium, zinc, iron, manganese, fluorine, cobalt, copper. Pumpkin contains antibacterial substances and helps fight infections, worms and fungal diseases. The product also includes compounds that help actively burn fatty tissue, reduce blood cholesterol levels and relieve inflammation.
At the same time, cereal porridge is rich in protein and quality starch, so it becomes a good option for breakfast or an afternoon snack. For all the useful substances to be absorbed, pumpkin should be eaten with the addition of fats, you can add cream, ghee or any of the vegetable oils to the porridge. Optimal would be a variant of pumpkin seeds, which will strengthen the effect of the product.
What are the benefits of pumpkin porridge
Porridge with the addition of fruits and vegetables is a very useful product, giving a supply of energy and contributing to the normalization of digestion. The fibrous structure of the pumpkin pulp cleanses the intestines of toxins and saturates the body with valuable elements.
- Pumpkin has a positive effect on the liver, removing toxins and facilitating its work, has a choleretic effect.
- The product contains anti-inflammatory substances, and is also rich in vitamins A and E, providing rapid regeneration of damaged tissues, relieving irritation, increasing the elasticity of skin and muscles, relieving allergic reactions.
- Pumpkin porridge normalizes the pH of the intestine, it is recommended even for gastritis. If you prepare such a dish without added sugar, it is suitable for the diet of diabetics, reducing glucose levels and normalizing the well-being.
- Such a dish strengthens the immune system, stabilizes nervous activity, protects against poisons and negative factors, reduces the risk of pathogenic formations.
- Pumpkin cleanses blood vessels from cholesterol and normalizes blood pressure, gets rid of venous diseases. For men, the dish is recommended to increase potency and treat diseases of the excretory system.
- Pumpkin products help to get rid of excess weight.
- Regular use of unsweetened porridge with pumpkin will help to get rid of acne and improve the condition of the skin and nails.
- The remedy helps to quickly cope with constipation, cure hemorrhoids, as well as remove excess fluid from the body, so it is prepared for swelling, indigestion.
- Pumpkin helps to strengthen the body with heart disease, increasing the elasticity of the walls of blood vessels and the heart, as well as removing excess stress.
- The golden porridge will help to overcome colds and other diseases faster. Its light texture is good for a weakened body to restore digestive function.
- Pumpkin is easily digested by the body and goes through the digestive process quickly, especially when eaten separately from other foods, so it will be a great snack to cope with hunger without harming health.
- For babies, pumpkin is recommended for the proper formation of the digestive system and maintaining a healthy microflora. In the diet of the elderly, pumpkin helps to cope with heavy foods and establish peristalsis.
The benefits of pumpkin porridge with millet
Millet porridge with the addition of pumpkin is a great nourishing product that supports the body in any season. It is ideal for people with digestive problems, the elderly, because the soft texture of millet and pumpkin fiber does not damage the intestinal walls. For children and athletes, such porridge will help to recharge valuable energy: complex carbohydrates are digested gradually, keeping the body active and strong for several hours.
The benefits of pumpkin porridge with rice
A feature of rice grains is their absorbent effect and easy absorption. Therefore, rice porridge with pumpkin can be used on cleansing diets and to restore the body after poisoning. Such a product perfectly removes cholesterol and toxins, strengthening the body.
Benefits of pumpkin porridge with milk
Light milk porridge with or without the addition of semolina is introduced into the diet of children from the youngest age. The product improves intestinal function and stimulates the development of the heart and musculoskeletal system due to calcium, phosphorus and vitamins. The milk component smoothes out the effect of fiber, so this porridge does not make kids' stomachs tingle, and vitamin A, useful for vision and proper development of internal organs, is perfectly absorbed by the body.
Pumpkin porridge with milk is easily satiated and does not burden the body. It is useful on strict diets, and also becomes a light snack for dessert without any extra calories.
Milk pumpkin porridge is eaten in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract: it gently envelopes the mucous membranes without irritating them, and promotes healing. The product also normalizes the acid-alkaline balance.
Can pumpkin porridge pregnant and nursing women
The product is very useful for pregnant women: it will prevent constipation and infections, purify the blood composition and improve the quality of milk, making it tastier and more nutritious. If a pregnant woman has edema, pumpkin will be one of the safest means to flush out excess fluid. The main thing is not to overeat this dish and cook it with milk.
The benefits of pumpkin porridge for children
Children's bodies need vitamin A and other components, with which pumpkin is rich in abundance, to develop internal organs and maintain immunity. Pumpkin cereal porridge will help against many ailments.
- It will improve your child's appetite and establish a healthy digestion.
- Strengthen the body and ensure its proper development.
- Protect your child from worms, fungal diseases, and infections.
- Rapidly heal abrasions, scratches and bruises.
- Provide your child with the energy he needs for activity.
- And also will strengthen the skeleton and provide a normal hormonal background.
Porridge with pumpkin will be healthier than usual, so the vegetable is definitely worth adding periodically to the dish. In addition, many children like the taste of an unusual snack with an orange vegetable.
Pumpkin porridge for weight loss
During weight loss, pumpkin comes in handy and helps to get rid of a few pounds in a minimum amount of time. This product gathers the best reviews among those who have lost excess weight. Its benefits are undeniable.
- It gently removes toxins, improves intestinal absorption, and helps you get full faster without overeating.
- Eliminates toxins from the liver, normalizing the metabolism.
- Burns fat layer, even with minimal physical activity.
- Saturate the body with vitamins, so it is easier to endure hunger / malnutrition during strict diets.
- It is an excellent light snack, a hearty breakfast and is not dangerous when eaten overnight.
- Helps to relieve swelling, sweat easily and cleanse the body during fitness.
- Goes well with other foods.
During the diet, it is recommended to prepare unsweetened porridge with milk without excess fat. You can add dried fruits and nuts in small quantities to the dish for flavor.
Pumpkin porridge in medicine
Pumpkin is a rare product that is recognized as a therapeutic by official medicine. Pumpkin puree as well as pumpkin seeds and oil are prescribed for patients with liver diseases and for weight loss.
Those who suffer from high blood sugar, you can introduce fructose pumpkin porridge or a neutral dish into the diet. It will help normalize the blood composition, get rid of glucose spikes and improve well-being.
Pumpkin is one of the products that significantly improves skin and vision, so it will be useful for diabetics with exacerbations in this part. Also, pumpkin will help to lose extra pounds, which will improve the health of the body.
Important: The glycemic index of pumpkin is 75 units. And, the seeds have a GI of only 25.
When pancreatic inflammation doctors recommend pumpkin as a useful dietary product, but you should refrain from eating its juice or raw product and opt for unsweetened puree or baked pumpkin, as well as light porridge based on it. It is necessary to consume the product little by little and watch how you feel.
The light fiber of pumpkin can be useful for gastritis, but in such cases, the porridge is prepared carefully: without excess fat and coarse fiber additives. Pumpkin is quickly digested and does not load the stomach, but sometimes creates a choleretic effect, so you should use it in small quantities and consult your doctor if you have unpleasant symptoms.
How to cook pumpkin porridge: recipes
For a dish to please the whole family, it should be delicious and suitable for all occasions. Here are a few recipes that adults and children will enjoy.
Neutral pumpkin porridge is most often cooked with millet. Such a dish does not require the addition of milk, so it can be eaten in Lent to maintain strength. And since the millet porridge with pumpkin can be cooked in both sweet and salty versions, it is suitable for people diagnosed with diabetes and on diets for weight loss.
First, 600 g of pumpkin should be peeled, washed and diced. Small pieces will boil much faster. The pumpkin is covered with water and boiled for 10-15 minutes, then it is crushed with a fork or pounding stone, poured with 3 cups of milk or water and brought to a boil. Then pour 1-1.5 cups of millet and salt it (even in a sweet recipe).
The porridge is brought to readiness over low heat. Give water to boil well, the millet porridge is usually made thick and persistent. To better swell the grains, you can hold the porridge under a lid. If you plan to add additional ingredients, they are added before cooking. To the millet go well with apricots, raisins, walnuts or cashews, cinnamon and vanilla, and in the unsweetened version you can add grated carrots (along with the millet).
Millet porridge is usually made not too sweet and vanilla. After turning off the heat, the porridge should finish. A little butter or vegetable oil is added to it and covered. The peculiarity of the dish is that it is good not only in hot, but also in cold form and even resembles ice cream.
Rice pumpkin porridge is usually cooked sweet and served for dessert, and the pumpkin pieces are not crushed too much so that the fibers are felt in the mouth, but it's a matter of taste. Preparing the porridge is not difficult. First, the pumpkin needs to be peeled, washed and diced. Next, the boiling begins.
Most cooks recommend boiling the vegetable immediately in milk, so that the useful components are not boiled into the water, which is drained, and saturate the creamy broth. However, if the pumpkin is very tough, it should be boiled beforehand. For this purpose, a little water is poured, so that it evaporates. The main thing is not to burn the pieces.
You'll need about 1 liter of milk for 700 grams of pumpkin. Milk "soup" is brought to a boil, the fire is reduced and the vegetable is stewed until it is easily pierced, then add a glass of overcooked washed rice, about 3-4 tablespoons of sugar (to taste) and a pinch of vanillin. The porridge quickly comes to a boil. In the case of rice, it can be made more liquid or dense.
If desired, apples, peaches, cherries, or coconut can be added to the rice pumpkin porridge. Pieces of fruit are added to the cooked porridge after turning off the fire along with a spoonful of butter and infused. Such a dessert is very loved by children, and in addition, they can safely spoil themselves on a diet.
A dietary version of porridge, which is suitable even for breastfeeding babies, is pumpkin in milk. To prepare the porridge, processed cubes are put in milk at the rate of 1 kg of pumpkin per 1.5 liters, brought to a boil and boiled over low heat until softened. After this, the pulp is turned into mashed potatoes. When the milk is boiled, you can add sugar to taste, about 3 tablespoons, vanilla and 1-2 spoons of butter. Then the porridge will be more nutritious and will satisfy hunger for a long time.
Such a dessert can be consumed even in winter to maintain immunity and energy. You can add apple, peach or apricot puree to the porridge. Adults can eat such porridge with cookies, pieces of fruit and nuts.
Dietary pumpkin puree, which is recommended on strict diets for people with liver and gastrointestinal diseases, in diabetes or during weight loss, as well as in children's diets, is prepared very simply.
Pumpkin should be peeled, cut into small pieces, pour drinking water and cook over low heat for 15 to 40 minutes - depending on the hardness of the product. When the pulp softens, it is kneaded with a pusher and cook porridge for a little longer.
If you are preparing a dish on a fast and it is important to make porridge nourishing, you can add nuts and vegetable oil, sugar or honey (in the finished cooled porridge). On cleansing diets, such porridge is dressed with bran and lemon juice, you can salt to taste - this will unload the liver and free the intestines.
Such porridge is prepared as usual semolina. Pre-cook the pumpkin in a small amount of water or immediately in milk, squeeze the pieces into a puree, bring the milk to a boil and pour the groats with sugar and vanillin to taste. Slices of strawberries or orange are sometimes added to the semolina. It is better to eat it hot.
How to choose pumpkin porridge
To make the porridge tasty and fragrant, you need to choose a fresh and juicy pumpkin. To do this, take into account a few simple nuances.
- Pumpkin is a seasonal vegetable, its harvest is in mid-autumn, which means that fresh and tasty fruits can be bought until December.
- A ripe pumpkin has a juicy crust, a pronounced color, and when tapped, a distinctive hollow sound. If the pumpkin is parched, soft, too light, then it is already spoiled and will not go into food.
- There should be no scratches on the surface, pockets of mold and other significant damage, otherwise dirt and infections getting into the open places can spoil the whole product.
- Sometimes because of the large weight of whole pumpkins, it is necessary to take a cut version. This is convenient in its own way: the cut pumpkin is much easier to handle at home. In such cases, you need to make sure that the cut is not dried out, does not contain traces of treatment with any chemicals and is not contaminated.
- In terms of varieties, a rich variety of different shades of pumpkins opens up. The orange subspecies has a characteristic flavor and high sugar content. This kind of pumpkin keeps its freshness longer, but its flesh is somewhat coarser and requires a longer cooking time.
- The yellow pumpkin with a dark crust (muscat) is very delicate in taste and has an optimal flavor. It is used to make not only porridges, but also many other snacks. It is also this kind of pumpkin, along with melons and fruits can be safely eaten raw.
- There are also pale pumpkins, which contain less carotene and sugars. They usually have a neutral flavor, and are slightly tougher in texture than pâtissons. Such a product goes more often for salty snacks and first courses, but porridge from it will also turn out delicious. True, then it is better to make the dish without sugar. The recipe with table pumpkin will fit perfectly into the diet of diabetics.
Harms and contraindications
The sunny vegetable rarely causes allergies or discomfort. Consumption of porridge in large portions may cause softening of the stool and diarrhea, slight bloating of the intestines. Unpleasant feelings can occur in a clogged body. Sometimes pumpkin porridge causes an excessive influx of bile and liver discomfort, but these sensations are considered a side effect of liver cleansing.
Overeating sweet cereal porridge can cause a feeling of heaviness and bring extra calories, so you should calculate portions carefully.
In order for pumpkin not to harm the body, before its introduction into the diet, it is necessary to consult with a doctor for such groups of people
- Those suffering from liver or pancreatic diseases, diabetics;
- Patients with kidney disease;
- People with vitamin A intolerance and allergies;
- Nursing mothers and children under 3 years old.
A specialist will tell you in what portions you can eat pumpkin, and clarify the contraindications.
Interesting facts about the pumpkin
- The pumpkin has always occupied an important place on the tables in the household of people of different cultures. In ancient China and the Indians made ritual bowls out of it, and afterwards ordinary utensils. There were musical instruments based on the pumpkin drum. In addition, the vegetable is used to make the famous Jack Light, the main attribute of Halloween.
- Pumpkin seeds and dried fiber are included in many blends for weight loss, in our lands they are considered a folk remedy, and in Thailand and other Eastern countries are even produced by pharmaceutical companies as a dietary supplement. Reviews and studies show a tremendous effect of losing weight by 10-25 pounds after taking a course with the proposed remedy.
- Pumpkin preparations have been used for many years to treat liver disease and worm infestation not only in people but also in veterinary medicine. The product is gentle and safe for the delicate bodies of babies.
Pumpkin porridge is one of the safest dishes, long loved by our ancestors and tested by generations. So eat it with pleasure for health and good mood.
«Important: All information on this site is provided solely for informational purposes. Before using any recommendations consult with a specialized specialist before applying any recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."