Waffles: useful properties and contraindications
Everyone knows about this delicacy. It is often bought for tea, taken with you on the road. In any recipe book, you can find several options for cooking waffles. At one time, only aristocrats could afford them, but now the treat is found on the shelves of any store.
- What are waffles
- How Viennese waffles differ from Belgian waffles
- Composition and calories
- What's good for waffles
- Overall Benefits
- For Women
- For men
- For Pregnancy
- For breastfeeding
- For children
- For weight loss.
- Waffles in medicine.
- Diabetes mellitus
- For pancreatitis.
- For gastritis
- In gout
- Harm and Contraindications
- How to choose and store
- How to cook waffles: Recipes
- Interesting Facts
What is a waffle?
A waffle is a thin, crispy pastry with embossed rectangular patterns. The history of this product goes so deep into the past that it is impossible to say exactly when they were first made and by whom. However, there is speculation that the first appearance of this sweet occurred in the 13th century.
At that time, waffles were served to the table only in the homes of rich people. For ordinary people, the product remained expensive and inaccessible. For a long time, the recipe was not available to the general public, chefs kept it a secret and passed from generation to generation. The first recipe for the treat was printed in a book only in the 18th century. Since then, everyone has modified the recipe to their liking, and now there are a huge number of variations of preparation.
With the invention of the waffle iron in 1869, this sweetness received an incredible peak of popularity. Housewives were very fond of this device, which allowed them to quickly and effortlessly make delicious waffles for breakfast. The device of the waffle iron is very simple - it consists of two metal parts, between which the dough is placed.
In the United States, August 24 is a holiday dedicated to waffles. On this day, almost all the cafes, restaurants and bars offer their customers all kinds of sweets with different fillings. Particularly popular there are waffles with maple syrup.
In Russia, mass production began only in the mid-20th century. Enterprises made waffles for ice cream, it was also possible to meet waffle cakes, which were very popular with people. Also at this time, waffle makers began to appear in the USSR, and people made this delicacy themselves.
Almost every country has its own recipes for making this sweet treat. Together with coffee or tea, they can be a great breakfast and energize the whole day. There are many types of waffles, but most often there are 6 main ones:
- Vienna waffles. Without exaggeration, they can be called the most popular type. Usually they are thin, but also lush and soft. They are made with a soufflé filling, often served with ice cream, coffee and with fruit. A square shape is considered a classic for them, although round products are increasingly common as well. The history of Viennese waffles began more than 100 years ago.
- Belgian. In turn are divided into two sub-species - Liège and Brussels. The first have a hard consistency due to the fact that they are baked with sugar. They are most often round or oval in shape. Cinnamon or vanillin is added to them. Brussels are soft, puffy, and have a square shape. They are also distinguished from other types by their large size. They are often served with fruit, cream or chocolate, sprinkled on top with powder.
- American. Americans are very fond of waffles. They are made in a wide variety of shapes, there are even heart-shaped sweets. In the U.S., they even make salted waffles, which are used as bread. They are often served with bacon, fruit, and all kinds of sweet toppings.
- Italian. They are very thin and soft, distinguished by their round shape and a variety of patterns that resemble snowflakes. Italian waffles are so thin that they can easily be rolled into a tube. They are often wrapped in ice cream, syrups, etc. They are also often eaten without anything. Such waffles are baked in a special pan.
- Swedish. In this country there is also a holiday of waffles. The Swedes celebrate the Annunciation at the end of March, and on that day, waffles become one of the most popular foods. Although it's a sweet that's popular even without the holiday. Swedes are very fond of waffles and serve them with cream, jam, and ice cream. Shapes are also varied - from the classic square, to stars and hearts.
- Dutch waffles. They are also called caramel. They are made of two thin plates of dough filled with syrup. They are very sweet.
What is the difference between a Belgian and a Viennese waffle?
On the whole, they are very similar. The main difference is in the consistency. Vienna waffles are soft and airy, while Belgian waffles are denser and resemble cookies.
Composition and caloric value
The caloric value of the product depends on the method of preparation and is generally 300-350 kcal per 100 grams of product. The indicators of chocolate wafers are slightly higher - about 500 kcal. At the same time, they contain 3 g of proteins, 2.5-3 g of fats and 80-82 g of carbohydrates.
The waffles do not contain any substances harmful to the human body. The pure product has no flavor enhancers and other synthetic additives.
Regardless of the type, the composition contains such useful substances:
- Vitamins B, E, A, C.
The amount of vitamins and minerals in one serving is about 2-3% of the daily allowance, except for vitamin E, which is 50% of the daily allowance.
What are the benefits of waffles
The main benefit of waffles is the ability to quickly satisfy hunger, as it is quite a caloric product. Also, thanks to the sugar, they can stimulate brain activity. Waffles are appreciated by people who experience regular physical activity. A small snack with this treat allows for a long time to forget about the feeling of hunger and get a boost of energy.
Dairy products that are rich in calcium are used to make waffles. This component is an important building block in the body. It prevents the development of diseases related to bone fragility.
Everything is good in moderation. This expression also applies to waffles. In small amounts they will be good for the female body, but excessive consumption can lead to serious health problems, including obesity.
Waffles contain simple carbohydrates that provide energy to the brain. The fats in the product help the body absorb vitamins better. Waffles are made with the addition of eggs, which contain a powder called healthy cholesterol. It is a prophylactic for the development of diseases of the cardiovascular system.
It is also known that sweets improve mood, so women are recommended to eat waffles in the morning during PMS. The consumption of a small amount of the product can provide a good mood for the whole day.
Nutritionists say that men whose jobs involve heavy physical exertion should eat waffles during snack time. Such a lunch is energizing and satisfies hunger for a long time. Waffles can even improve thermoregulation and prevent from overcooling or overheating. They saturate the body with glycogen, so they are recommended to include in the diet of men who are trying to gain muscle mass, as a supplement to the main diet.
There have been scientific studies in the U.S. that show that eating waffles produces the pleasure hormone, which will help get rid of bad habits faster.
Pregnant women often want something delicious, and waffles fit this role perfectly. If you choose a pure product without filling, it will contain exclusively useful elements for the body, including calcium and phosphorus, which are essential for a pregnant woman. You can also cook this product yourself, such waffles will be even tastier.
During this period, women have hormonal malfunctions, because of which there are sudden mood swings. Waffles can improve the hormonal background. In addition, they help to strengthen the musculoskeletal system.
Pregnant women often complain that they do not want to eat, but waffles can quickly saturate the body without causing a feeling of heaviness in the stomach.
Some sources claim that eating waffles with nuts and cocoa reduces the likelihood of allergic reactions in the baby. Waffles with dried fruit can improve eyesight and are a constipation preventative. Consuming a treat, the future mother can gain the necessary weight, but strongly addicted to the product should not be, as pregnant women have a sensitivity to sugar.
During this period, products are chosen particularly carefully so as not to harm the health of the baby. At this time, women often crave sweets, but not every product is suitable for consumption. You should give preference to waffles without stuffing, cooked according to a classic recipe, because they do not contain preservatives, flavorings and other substances that can act as an allergen. It is safer to make waffles yourself from natural and quality products.
The product is allowed to be introduced into the diet gradually, 1-1.5 months after the start of breastfeeding.
Children especially need the energy, because they are constantly in motion. Classes at school, kindergarten and clubs take a lot of energy, so snack wafers will be useful. However, you should not eat them too often and in large quantities. You can make homemade waffles without sugar and make sandwiches with them and pack them for school. Such a lunch will dampen the feeling of headache and increase energy.
When losing weight
Almost any diet comes down to limiting the consumption of certain foods, rather than completely eliminating them from the diet. Waffles are considered a product with a high glycemic index, so they are not recommended to eat when losing weight. Also their calorie content is quite high. But fortunately, there are special diet varieties, which are allowed to eat in limited quantities. In small doses, they won't cause any harm and can satisfy the hunger. In addition, classic recipes can easily be remade for a diet by replacing the fatty ingredients with analogues.
Waffles in Medicine
This treat can also be healthy, but we should not forget that waffles contain a lot of sugar. There may also be flavorings and other additives, so you need to eat them very carefully for some medical conditions.
For Diabetes Mellitus
People with this disease have to limit their food intake all the time. It is forbidden to eat a lot of fried, smoked, salty and sweet things, so it is better to give up the classic waffles. But there are special diabetic products, which are prepared without added sugar. Such a product contains special components with a low glycemic index. For example, whole-grain flour with an index of 50 is added to waffles for diabetics. It contains many useful components, including fiber, which removes toxins from the body and helps normalize metabolism. There are varieties that are baked with the addition of honey (in small amounts), fruit or peanuts. The usefulness of such a treat is even higher.
The taste of the product, of course, differs from the classic waffles, but it is much healthier. Such a pastry can be eaten daily, but with the permission of a doctor.
Diet Waffles can be prepared by yourself, and the caloric value of the product will not exceed 200 kcal. For cooking you will need:
- 200 ml of kefir;
- 20 grams of whole wheat flour;
- 2-3 eggs (you can add quail eggs);
- vegetable oil;
- sugar substitute.
Beat the eggs with a mixer in a deep bowl, add the sugar substitute (portion permitted by the doctor) and continue to beat the mass until homogeneous. Next, add the kefir and small portions of flour. Continue to whisk until the consistency of sour cream. At the end add a spoonful of vegetable oil to the dough and once again thoroughly knead the dough. Bake with an electric waffle iron. Grease it with vegetable oil, heat it up, then place 2 tablespoons of dough. Close the device, press tightly and bake the products for 2-3 minutes.
This is another disease that imposes severe restrictions on a person's diet. Sweets have a negative effect on the functioning of the diseased pancreas, because it has to actively produce insulin. Pancreatitis is divided into two stages - acute and chronic. In the first case, the restrictions are the most serious. The amount of food eaten is limited, and some doctors even advise to go hungry for a day. At the same time, you can only eat special diet foods, boiled vegetables, and other light foods. Therefore, during this period there is no way to eat waffles.
When the exacerbation passes, you can dilute your diet a little. It is allowed to include some sweets in the diet, but with the permission of the doctor and in the amounts specified by him.
From waffles with sugar or with fillings will have to give up forever, but varieties with fructose or without sugar can be eaten from time to time. The rate of consumption depends on the condition of the patient and the course of the disease. But you should remember that this product gives an increased load on the pancreas.
It is much safer to make your own waffles:
- 1 egg;
- 1 cup kefir 1% or milk;
- 1 cup whole wheat flour;
- 0.5 spoonfuls of rolled oats;
Mix the egg with the kefir and beat with a mixer, add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly with a spoon, then leave the dough for 5-10 minutes. If the finished mixture is thick, you can add more milk or kefir. Cook the waffles in a special waffle iron for 2 minutes. The finished cakes can be smeared with nonfat sour cream, yogurt or fruit puree. They can be eaten with first courses, tea, make sandwiches.
With gastritis, the diet is not as rigid as with other diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. The diet is compiled by the attending physician and can be adjusted from time to time. Sweet foods can be eaten with gastritis, but with certain restrictions. Sweets should be natural and contain no synthetic additives, so you have to give up waffles with artificial fillings. It is desirable to choose sweets with natural filling or syrup.
When used properly, sweets can even be useful for gastritis. First, they improve the production of the happiness hormone, which has a positive effect on the nervous system and improves mood. Secondly, the waffles contain vegetable fiber, which can remove toxins and impurities from the body. Thirdly, the treats contain simple carbohydrates, which quickly saturate the body with energy and are necessary for the formation of some hormones.
Nevertheless, some doctors are against the use of waffles with gastritis due to their high fat content. They are often made with margarine, which is forbidden for this condition. Also, some waffles are made with the addition of butter or cocoa powder, and they can also worsen the condition.
During exacerbations, when heartburn, bloating and pain syndrome appear, even diet wafers should not be eaten. With increased stomach acidity, it is strictly forbidden to eat dessert with jam. With reduced acidity it will even be useful, as jam will stimulate the production of gastric juice.
Waffles with condensed milk can be eaten in small quantities, but provided that the product itself is natural and does not contain dyes or preservatives.
In case of gout
Gout is a disease characterized by excessive deposition of uric acid salts in the tissues of the body. This can impair the function of tissues and organs, affecting the joints and liver. The diet for patients with gout is prescribed individually and is a forced measure. It is composed in such a way as to reduce the intake of oxalic acid and purines in the body. Therefore, any baked goods will have to be abandoned. Do not eat waffles with cream and other similar fillings.
Permission is granted to eat uncooked waffles with jam. To prepare muffin products, you need to completely exclude from the recipe eggs, dairy products and sometimes even butter. To prepare unmuffled waffles, the following ingredients are used:
- 250 g of wheat flour of the highest grade;
- 250 ml of boiled water;
- 2 tablespoons of sugar;
- vegetable oil.
Mix the flour and water with a mixer. The amount of ingredients can be varied to obtain a semi-liquid consistency. Then add salt, sugar and mix again. Heat an electric waffle iron, place 2-3 spoonfuls of batter and bake for 3 minutes. The finished dish can be consumed with jam.
Harms and contraindications
The main contraindications are dictated by the high caloric content and high sugar content. It is forbidden to eat waffles for people prone to obesity. Frequent consumption of the product can cause diabetes.
The filling may contain synthetic substances, which often cause allergic reactions. They can also have a negative effect on the liver, so children are recommended to give them in moderation.
With pancreatic diseases, the treats can also be dangerous, and you should eat them only with the permission of your doctor.
How to choose and store
In any store you can find a wide range of wafers, so it is not so easy to choose a quality product. There are several varieties of this product:
- Without filling. They are thin, crispy sheets. They are used to make desserts and to wrap fillings. Such waffles can be served with fresh fruit or with ice cream.
- Stuffed waffles. Usually consists of two sheets and a layer between them. The filling can be absolutely any - from sweet jam to bacon. Often, the basis of the filling is confectionary fat. On top of such waffles can be decorated with powdered sugar or fruit.
- Diet waffles. They can also be placed in a separate category. Instead of sugar, its substitutes are used. You can also find vitaminized wafers on the shelves. They are specially saturated with vitamins and minerals, which are necessary for the body.
When choosing a waffle, you need to pay attention to its composition. A normal product includes high-grade flour, sugar, leavening agents, flavorings, dairy products and flavorings. Some varieties may contain cocoa, spices, fruit additives and citrus zest.
The main ingredient to look for when choosing a product is fat. If it is written on the package that the composition includes confectionery fats, but does not say what kind, it is better to refuse to buy the product. The fact is that some manufacturers add trans-fats to the waffles, which can be harmful to health.
The package should also contain information on all the flavors and flavorings that were used to prepare the sweet.
At markets and in some stores you can find wafers, which are sold by weight. It is desirable to clarify with the seller of their production date and expiration date. Even better request the appropriate documents.
Pay attention to the appearance of the product, assessing the color and smell. Waffle plates should be a nice golden hue, the same thickness and texture, dry. Excess moisture in them can be a breeding ground for harmful microorganisms. If the waffles are sold with filling, you need to look at the consistency of the filling as well. It should be uniform throughout the product. The jam should not be too liquid or too thick. Leaks in the filling indicate that it has gone bad.
When buying waffles in the supermarket, you should pay attention to the packaging. Preference should be given to products that are sold in transparent or translucent packaging, so that it is possible to assess the appearance of the product. When buying in closed packaging, you should pay attention to its appearance - it should not be torn, worn or faded. Faded colors may indicate that the product has been lying against the sun for too long. Also in both cases you should check the tightness of the packaging.
It is better to refuse to buy wafers that are lying on shelves next to heaters or in damp and cold rooms.
The expiration date is usually indicated on the package. It is 3 months for ordinary products and 15-30 days for products with filling. It is better to store the treats at a temperature no higher than 16-18 degrees with humidity below 60-65%. Also keep in mind that wafers are good at absorbing ambient odors, so you should not keep them near fish and other products with a persistent flavor.
The expiration date can be judged by the taste, it becomes bitter.
How to make waffles: recipes
There are many different recipes for this treat in the world. Each nation has made changes to the classic recipe.
The classic recipe is the simplest. It was used back in the USSR, when the first waffle makers appeared. They cook very quickly and do not require much time, so it is a great option for breakfast. To make classic waffles, you will need:
- 5 eggs;
- 1 cup flour;
- 1 cup sugar;
- 200 g of butter;
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil.
First you need to soften the butter and beat it with the sugar with a mixer. You can use a spoon or fork instead, but it will take a little longer. Then mix the eggs, add to the butter and beat thoroughly again. Sift the flour and add in small portions, constantly stirring the dough. You can add one bag of vanilla for flavor.
The finished batter should be semi-liquid, like pancakes. Place 2 tablespoons of batter in a waffle iron and bake for 3-4 minutes. While the waffles are hot, you can roll them up into a tube and fill with ice cream or condensed milk.
This recipe is considered one of the most famous. Waffles with caramel have a unique flavor. Baking them is not difficult, but it takes a long time. They can be served for the holiday table. For preparation you will need:
- 600 g of flour;
- 70-80 grams of sugar;
- 2 chicken eggs;
- 1 teaspoon of dry yeast;
- 200-250 grams of butter;
- 15 g cinnamon;
- a tip of a teaspoon of salt.
First you need to mix the yeast with the sugar and 3 tablespoons of water. Soften the butter and finely chop it, then whip it until it becomes foamy. Then add the sugar, cinnamon, salt and water with the yeast to the butter. Now gradually add flour, mixing the dough. It should have a thick consistency, as for patties. Now cover it and leave for 30-40 minutes.
While the dough is coming up, you can do syrup. To prepare it you need honey (2/3 cup), brown sugar (200 g), butter (50 g) and a little cinnamon. Mix all the ingredients except the butter and put on medium heat. Cook, stirring for 10-15 minutes, then add butter and stir thoroughly.
Once the dough is ready, preheat the waffle iron, then roll small balls of dough, place them in the machine and press down. Roast until golden crust appears.
At the end, give the waffles a round shape. You can use special molds or jars. Cut the finished sweets in half and smear with syrup.
Tourists know how delicious Belgian waffles are. In this country, they are made of liquid dough, using different patterns. But it is not difficult to make them at home, you need the following ingredients:
- 180 g of flour;
- 250 ml of milk;
- 100 g of butter;
- 1/2 teaspoon salt;
- 2-3 tablespoons of sugar;
- leavening agent for dough;
- 2 eggs.
Sift the flour, make a notch in the center and add salt, baking powder, sugar. If desired, you can add vanilla. Now separate the yolks, mix with milk. Mash and grate the butter, then add to the milk and beat with a mixer. Mix the beaten mixture with flour and add separately whipped whites, then thoroughly knead the dough.
Grease a waffle iron and heat it up, then pour the batter into it about 2/3 of its depth. Bake for 5-10 minutes until golden brown. Cool the ready waffles and serve with jam or fresh fruit.
Viennese waffles are characterized by their softness and delicate flavor. Everyone can independently modify the recipe by adding new ingredients. The recipe for the dough for Viennese waffles is very similar to the dough for pancakes. To prepare it, you will need:
- 200 grams of butter;
- 1/2 cup sugar;
- 3 eggs;
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice;
- 250 ml of milk;
- baking powder;
- 2 cups of extra flour.
You need to prepare the butter in advance, leaving it at room temperature for 40-50 minutes. When the butter becomes soft, mix it with sugar and beat it with a mixer. As a result, you should get a fluffy mass. Then add one egg, mix everything until homogeneous, then another egg and mix again. Now pour into the mixture warm milk, lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of baking powder. Sift the flour and add to the dough in small batches. Knead thoroughly and leave at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
Heat a waffle iron, grease it with butter and put 2-3 tablespoons of batter in the center, then close the appliance. Cook the waffles for about 5 minutes. You can serve with fresh fruit, jam and various syrups.
- The grid, which is created on the surface of the plates of dough, appeared for a reason. It acts as a framework and prevents the filling from spreading. Without it, the waffles would quickly become soggy and break.
- The name of the product means "honeycomb" in German. Waffles are just like this product in appearance.
- In Norway, they make very thin waffles that are wrapped in tubes and filled with jam, chocolate or ice cream. They consider this a traditional Christmas dish.
- Brussels waffles can include beer. There are outlets in the city where they are baked directly on the street. The products are then flavored with powder or syrup.
- In some countries, cheese, bacon, and even garlic are used as toppings on sweet waffles.
- It is still unknown who and when first made waffles. There is a version that this sweetness was first made by the Greeks. They used two red-hot stoves, between which they placed the ingredients. Other evidence, however, suggests that the Germans were the first. Some sources say that waffles are more than 8,000 years old. Ancient civilizations cooked tortillas with grains and water over a fire, which may be considered the first waffles.
- Some makers add spices to the dough, which gives the baked goods a nice flavor. If you add lemon or orange zest to the dough, you can make the taste of the sweetness more subtle.
- In the Middle Ages, irons were used to shape waffles. This technique was adopted by the church. Monks used irons to make waffles for their events. Around the same time, various patterns began to be made on sweets. For example, the church applied a cross and other attributes. Craftsmen applied more elaborate designs.
- According to surveys, more than 70% of Americans eat waffles regularly for breakfast. At the same time, more than half of those surveyed said they prefer to eat them with chicken. Prepared frozen waffles are very popular in America.
- In the Middle Ages, the harshest punishment could be imposed for revealing a recipe for making waffles.
- It is believed that if a person treats someone in a dream with waffles, he is waiting for an unexpected acquaintance. And if someone treats him - it means that ahead are waiting for pleasant surprises.
- When waffles became available to ordinary people, they were handed out near churches. There was a real frenzy around this product, and it could lead to fights.
- Waffles can be extraordinarily healthy, for example, there are varieties that are filled with vitamins. Also, some products are served with fresh fruit filling, which also promotes health.
- The treat doesn't have to be baked daily. It keeps well in the freezer. Before using, you need to warm up the dish a little bit.
- Thanks to the waffles came some inventions. For example, one man, inspired by the appearance of the products, invented sneakers with fluted soles. And one day an ice cream vendor ran out of container, so he decided to fold balls into folded waffle tubes.
- There are now more than 1,000 tons of waffles produced around the world every year. The number of recipes is astounding in its diversity.
- There is a special kind of waffle: the Karlovy Vary waffle. Their peculiarity lies in their almost perfect round shape and patterned relief. They are considered a true work of art. Many tourists buy them not for the taste, but as a souvenir. Once there was even a scandal between several countries for the right to be considered the inventor of this delicacy. In the Czech Republic, these wafers are made using medicinal mineral water from a spring that is located near the company.
- In the middle of the last century in some Asian countries the egg-shaped thin waffles became popular. They were used to wrap ice cream and fruit. This dish is still a popular fast food.
- In Sweden, there was a tradition that on March 25, you have to go out barefoot and eat at least one waffle.
- In Japan, they make rice waffles called Moffle. They are versatile and are served with fruit, ice cream, cheese and even caviar. Some makers add berries to the dough right away to give it a nice flavor and color.
This delicacy has a rich history. For centuries, waffles have been a popular breakfast and tea supplement. They can be healthy, but when consumed in excess, they are detrimental to the body. Recipes were constantly changing, new ones appeared, and now everyone can try to come up with their own version of the sweet.
«Important: All information on the site is provided solely for introductory purposes. Before using any recommendations, consult with a specialized specialist before you use any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."