Fig jam: useful properties and contraindications
Figs are a legendary plant, tinged with myths and legends. It is mentioned in the Holy Scriptures of the Orthodox and the Koran of Muslims. The plant has many names, including fig tree, fig tree, fig and wine berry.
- Composition and calories
- What is useful for fig jam
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- For Pregnancy
- For breastfeeding
- For children
- For weight loss
- Hazards and contraindications
- How to choose figs for jam
- How to Make a Fig Jam: Recipes
- Classic Armenian Jam
- Fig Emerald
- Nut and fig miracle
- Figs and Plums
- From dried fruits
- Ginger-ginger-orange sweetness
- Honey and figs
- Grape and fig jam
- Interesting facts about figs
Figs grow in the southern regions. These are mainly in the Crimea, Transcaucasia, the Mediterranean countries, the Krasnodar region, Iran and Central Asia. Its homeland is considered the ancient Korea. From there the plant spread throughout Phoenicia, Syria and Egypt.
Figs belong to the Fucus genus and are smooth-leafed trees with large leaves and pear-like fruits. The color of the fruit varies from yellow-green to black-blue.
Over its thousand-year history, figs have gained popularity not only because of their sweet taste, but also because of the beneficial elements that make up the fruit. Ancient peoples used the magic fruit as a medicine that could cure coughs and sore throats. It was also used to improve digestion, get rid of cholelithiasis and in many other cases.
Modern research has established a really powerful healing power of the fruit, which it owes to the rich content of micro- and macroelements in its composition. Among them are glucose, fructose, organic acids, tannins, protein compounds, vitamins B group, C, PP, sodium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, calcium. All this is able to influence the human body with incredible benefits.
Figs are used in raw and dried form, as well as from it prepare an unusually tasty and useful jam.
Composition and calories
Dark-amber color and unusual taste of the famous fig jam leaves no one indifferent who has tried this southern treat. But the treat also has a lot of nutrients that can support human health. Its composition includes the following nutrients:
- vitamins A, B1, C, E, PP;
- inverted sugar;
- dietary fiber;
- fruit acids.
As for the caloric content of the product, it is quite high and amounts to 236 kcal per 100 g. Carbohydrates per 100 grams are about 62 grams, but there are no proteins or fats in the jam.
Thus, the extensive list of useful substances contained in fig jam, makes this delicacy useful for health and able to cope with various diseases.
What is useful for fig jam
The sweet product native to the mysterious eastern lands has the magical power of its homeland. The healers of ancient nations revered figs for their ability to heal the sick and keep their fellow citizens healthy. Their wisdom and experience were passed on to their ancestors, who appreciated the fruit and began to use it for cooking various dishes, including fragrant jam. The delicacy began to be used not only as a refined and easily digestible dessert, but also as a medicine to protect the body and relieve ailments.
The jam has such useful properties:
- Improvement of the cardiovascular system;
- Improving the process of defecation through a laxative effect;
- diuretic effect;
- regulation of the nervous system;
- treatment and prevention of anemia;
- antipyretic effect;
- prevention and auxiliary effect in the treatment of asthma;
- treatment of diseases of the upper respiratory tract;
- protection against viral infections in the season of their spread;
- restoration of body vitality;
- elimination of the effects of physical overload;
- activation of brain work;
- normalization of blood pressure;
- improvement of blood composition;
- Improvement of appearance (skin, nails and hair);
- normalization of water-salt balance of the body;
- cleansing of sluggishness;
- Reduction of muscle and joint pains;
- regulation of the pancreas.
These properties and the affecting components of the composition of the dessert have made the fig product popular not only among sweet eaters, but also among those who monitor their health, maintaining it, using the great power of nature. In addition, the jam is able to help both female, male and child bodies, depending on their specific characteristics.
Fig dessert helps the representatives of the weaker sex to cope with such characteristic for them disorders and ailments, such as painful and profuse discharge during menstruation, hormonal disorders, depressive states. In addition, the use of the treat is an excellent prevention from dilated veins or varicose veins, from swelling and leg cramps, which are so often faced by women who prefer heels. Also improving the appearance of the skin, the condition of the hair and nail plates - all this is under the power of an extraordinary sweet. Therefore, the use of fig fruit jam is very useful for the female body at any age.
The male body, of course, is less susceptible to stresses, but physically the representatives of the stronger sex are more tired, so they need to consume fig dessert to restore strength, increase endurance and as a preventive measure against strokes and heart attacks. To increase potency and prolong sexual activity will help a few spoonfuls of dessert every day.
So, for the male body fig jam saved his secrets, which have a positive impact on the health of the stronger half of mankind.
In expectation of a child, a woman is very careful about her health, because her future life depends on it. Fig jam will help future mothers to cope with edema, gently eliminate constipation and normalize bowel function, increase hemoglobin levels, thereby preventing the development of anemia, protect during viral diseases, saturate the body with essential trace elements, as well as calm the nervous system and restore strength. But you should not forget that the caloric product contributes to gaining extra pounds, so you should not get carried away with it. Allergies can also occur. To avoid risks, you should consult a doctor about the possibility of consuming the magic dessert. If there are no contraindications, then 2 tbsp. a day will help support the body during pregnancy.
During the period of lactation, most experts consider it appropriate to use fig jam. This is due to the fact that the dessert helps to solve the problems typical for women of this period. He is able to improve the gastrointestinal tract, eliminate constipation, get rid of edema, maintain a healthy skin, lower cholesterol, prevent the formation of blood clots, increase hemoglobin, protect the body from colds and respiratory infections, restore strength, calm the nervous system, strengthen the immune system of the baby and young mother.
It is also worth noting that fig jam will be appropriate to use not earlier than three months from the birth of the child. At first, experts recommend trying 0.5 tsp per day. If the baby does not have any allergic reactions, colic, intestinal disorders, the dose can be gradually increased to 2 tbsp. per day, but not before the baby is six months old. It is better to consult a specialist who will properly assess the condition of both mother and child, and eliminate all possible risks from the use of the oriental sweet.
Here is the one who does not have to be persuaded to be treated with a sweet medicine, it is young children, who willingly swallow delicious jam, not bitter pills. Figs can increase the resistance of the child's body during colds, as well as lower the body temperature and eliminate sore throats, if the disease does occur. In addition, the sweet from the East helps to improve the expectoration of sputum and cures even such a difficult disease as bronchitis. Do not forget that jam activates brain activity and gives vitality, filling the body with energy, which means that it will help the student to better absorb the material and not to experience severe mental stress during the study period.
As for the norms of consumption, it should be noted that up to the age of three you should not introduce your baby to the sweet product in order to avoid allergies and bloating. After the baby reaches the age of 3, it is enough to eat 2 tsp. of the product per day, and many disorders and diseases will be a thing of the past.
When losing weight
In its raw form, figs are useful for people seeking to achieve ideal body parameters and lose excess weight. Jam from this fruit is considered a caloric product. But at the same time, its use during a diet is quite possible, because the delicacy contains some biological compounds that have the ability to influence lipid metabolism, increasing its speed. Moreover, jam satiates the body of a thin person not only with useful and necessary minerals and vitamins, but also with fast carbohydrates and fruit sugars. It is these that help to recover after a workout.
Another useful property of jam, which positively affects the process of weight loss, is the cleansing of the body from sluggishness and normalization of the digestive tract. Due to these features, the fig product will be of sufficient benefit to the body in the process of dieting. But this does not mean that the jam should be eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner by the liter jars! Two or three spoonfuls in the daily diet of a person struggling with hated kilograms will have a beneficial effect and will do absolutely no harm.
Harm and Contraindications
The oriental delicacy is a truly unique product, capable of supporting the human body, giving it strength and curing diseases. But, unfortunately, it is not a perfect product that has no contraindications. The harm, albeit minimal, is still present. It lies in the prohibition to take the delicacy to people with the following diseases and disorders:
- diabetes mellitus;
- Allergies and individual intolerance to the product;
- overweight and tendency to obesity;
- intestinal disorders and poisoning;
- tooth decay;
- gout and pancreatitis.
If a person has no contraindications, then the daily rate of 30-50 grams is quite enough to feel the full benefit of the product made from figs.
How to choose figs for jam
In order to prepare a product that will be beneficial, you need to choose healthy fruits. When the fruit grows on the territory of the homestead plot, it simplifies the task. But what to do for those to whom figs are available only on the shelves of stores? To choose and buy fruits suitable for consumption, you need to know some of the subtleties of choice to help you buy the right figs in all respects. So, the rules of buying the fruit are simple:
- The first thing to pay attention to is the density of the fruit, which should be dense enough, but not hard. If the figs are too soft, then this indicates that the product is overripe, from which a good jam obviously will not turn out. If they are hard, it means that the fruit is not mature enough, and it does not have that bright flavor, for which it is so loved by candy-consumers.
- Next, you should feel the aroma of the figs, which should not contain acid, otherwise you should refuse to buy it.
- You should also carefully inspect the fruit for damage, because the product may be affected by mold, which indicates its unsuitability for consumption.
If everything is done correctly, you can buy delicious and healthy fruit, which should be consumed or processed within two days, provided that the fresh fruit is stored in the refrigerator. Longer storage of the product is not subject to, so it is worth not delaying the process of making jam, and immediately proceed to the production of healthy deliciousness.
How to cook fig jam: recipes
Unusual jam from the southern fruit is on the shelves in many grocery stores. But a delicacy that is cooked in your own kitchen, not only differs in taste, but also brings much more benefits than a purchased one, because manufacturers often add preservatives or other not quite useful substances, destroying the healing properties of a unique dessert. That is why you should definitely cook jam at home, especially since there is nothing complicated about it. But it is still worth mentioning some tricks that will help to cook a great tasting and looking delicacy:
- To store the finished product, you need to use glass containers, with a volume of at least 0.5 liters. This is due to the fact that the fruit does not lose its shape during cooking and remains intact, so it is better to put it exactly in such jars.
- For cooking jam, experienced housewives advise to use dishes made of stainless material or aluminum.
- Before you start the cooking process, you should dry figs with a towel. This secret will help to avoid cracking the fruit during the cooking process.
- In order for the jam to have the greatest transparency in the cooking process, namely after the product boils, the flame should be reduced to a minimum.
These simple rules, or rather tips, will help to achieve stunning results.
So, here are some recipes for fig jam of all the variety that exist:
Classic Armenian Jam
- figs - 1 kg;
- granulated sugar - 1,1 kg;
- water - 0,5 cup.
Method of preparation:
- Wash the fruit, cut off the hard part of the tails and dry completely.
- Fill the fruit with sugar and let it stand for a short time.
- Add the water to the figs, put it on the stove and cook for 20 minutes after boiling on low flame, skimming off the foam that may form.
- Turn off the heat and leave the jam to stand overnight.
- Once again put on the stove and bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to minimum and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Spread the finished product in sterilized pots and close with lids or twist.
- The jam should cool upside down, wrapped in plaid.
- Figs, but unripe - 50 pcs;
- granulated sugar - 1 kg;
- water - 3 cups;
- orange peel - 5 tbsp.
Method of preparation:
- Free the fruit from the stalks and rinse.
- Then add water and put on the fire. Bring to a boil and pour new water after pouring it out. After that, bring to a boil again and boil for 5 minutes. Repeat this procedure 3 times, each time changing the water to fresh.
- After that, dried figs with a towel. At this time, combine the water and sugar and boil the sugar syrup until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the fruit with this liquid and put on low heat.
- Boil the jam until the thickness, which depends on the preferences of the cook, and then let the product stand overnight.
- Then add the orange zest and boil the dessert.
- Distribute the resulting treat in jars and treat the household.
Walnut and fig miracle
- figs - 1 kg;
- walnuts peeled - 5 tbsp;
- granulated sugar - 800 gr.
Method of preparation:
- Cut the peeled walnuts into small pieces, then fry them in a pan without adding oil.
- Wash figs and remove the stalks. You will get a small hole, in which you need to tamp the roasted walnuts.
- Then fill the stuffed figs with sugar and leave it to stand over night.
- After that time, put the pot with fruit on the stove and bring it to a boil. From this point, boil the product for about 15 minutes.
- Cool the jam and repeat the whole process three times.
- Transfer the finished dessert to a clean, prepared dish and surprise your guests.
Figs and plums
- figs - 0,5 kg;
- plum - 0,5 kg;
- granulated sugar - 0,5 kg;
- lime - 1 pc;
- yolkfix (3:1) - 1 package;
- ground cinnamon - 1 tsp;
- cloves - 1 tsp.
Method of preparation:
- First, prepare all the fruit.
- Figs rinse under running water, remove the stalk and dry.
- Lime peel from the skin and squeeze out the juice. Rinse the plums and remove the pips.
- Then slice the plums and figs and combine them with lime zest and 50 ml of water.
- Put this mixture on the stove and bring to a boil.
- At this point, add granulated sugar and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Then add lime juice, yolkfix and boil for 5 minutes after boiling.
- The resulting jam spread in sterilized jars and close them with lids.
From dried fruits.
- Dried figs - 1 kg;
- sugar - 0,75 kg;
- water - 1,25 liters;
- balsamic vinegar - 0.5 tbsp;
- sesame - 150 gr;
- pine nut - 50 gr;
- anise - 1 star.
Method of preparation:
- Combine water and balsamic vinegar and put on fire.
- Rinse dried fruit and cut into pieces.
- While the vinegar water is boiling, add the figs to the liquid and cook until the fruit becomes the same shape.
- After that, pour the water into a separate container and add the sugar to boil the syrup.
- In the meantime, wash the figs in cold water and dry them, and then put them in the boiling syrup.
- Then turn off the fire and insist the product for 12 hours.
- Then put the jam on a small fire again, add anise and cook for half an hour.
- At the same time it is necessary to roast sesame.
- Then put toasted sesame and fresh pine nuts into a pan with jam and cook for 15 minutes more.
- Spread the delicacy into prepared jars.
- figs - 0.8 kg;
- orange - 1 pc;
- ginger - 100 g (fresh version can be replaced by 20 g of ground ginger);
- granulated sugar - 0,4 kg.
Method of preparation:
- Orange to put on boiling water, remove the skin with a grater and squeeze the juice from the fruit.
- Rinse figs, remove the stems and dry, and then cut into small slices.
- Fresh ginger finely cut with a knife or use a grater to grate it.
- You have to make a little bit of a candle and a little bit of a candle, and then you have to make a little bit of a candle.
- After a few hours, put a container with a fruit-sugar mass on the fire and bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Then place the useful and delicious jam in sterilized jars and screw on the lids.
Honey with figs
- figs - 1 kg;
- water - 500 ml;
- honey - 0,4 kg.
Method of preparation:
- Rinse figs thoroughly, separate the stalks and dry the fruit.
- Meanwhile, combine honey with water and make honey syrup.
- The resulting liquid add to the figs and leave to infuse for 2-4 hours.
- Then again put the mass on the stove and boil it until it becomes viscous.
- Place the resulting jam in sterilized jars and put away for storage.
- figs - 0,5 kg;
- light grapes - 0,6 kg;
- granulated sugar - 0,3 kg;
- yolfix (3:1) - 1 package.
Method of preparation:
- Wash figs, remove the tails and dry, then cut into small pieces.
- Grapes are also washed, cut in half and remove seeds.
- Mix the fruit with granulated sugar and allow to stand for 20 minutes.
- After that, put a container with fruit and sugar on the stove and boil it for 20 minutes.
- After this, add the yolkfix to the jam and boil it for 5 minutes.
- The resulting delicacy spread in prepared dishes.
Interesting facts about figs
The rich history of the ancient culture stores quite a few interesting facts about this amazing fruit:
- Figs, according to some scholars of the Holy Book of the Bible, were the very fruit forbidden to Adam and Eve, because of which the first people on earth were expelled from the Garden of Eden.
- In ancient times, the best varieties of fig trees were given names.
- Fig trees can be hundreds of years old and bear fruit for up to four hundred years.
- One of the names of the plant is "wine berry. This is due to the fact that the overripe fruit turns into wine when exposed to the sun, as the natural fermentation process begins.
- Figs are the most frequently mentioned plant and fruit in Orthodox and Muslim holy writings such as the Bible and the Koran.
Fig jam is a gift of Mother Earth and the knowledge of our ancestors. The sweet delicacy from the mysterious East is able to cope with many diseases and give good health. Therefore, you should not run after expensive "magic" drugs, but just occasionally need to open a jar of sweetness and taste a few spoonfuls of the wonderful dessert, which has the healing power of nature.
«Important: All information on this site is provided solely for introductory purposes. Consult with a health care professional before using any recommendations. specialist before using any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."